• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

NEO0MJ

Got a friend of mine to play this game. He seems to really enjoy it, even though he doesn't do much gaming nowadays. Right now he's close to
Shadows of Yharnam
, wonder how he'll fare. Kinda disappointed in him for summoning people often for boss fights. There's no honor in that! Also, watching him play I was surprised bby how bad the game runs in online mode in comparison to offline.

murders Queen Annalise!

I'm kind of conflicted because I don't want anything to do with the Church, but the Executioners seem cool, but then again the Vilebloods also seemed interesting, but also they appear to be vampires and I'm not getting involved with the undead (the Queenly Flesh is still moving), but also the way Alfred took his own life just seems too zealous for me. I'm not one for people to kill themselves for a religious cause, it's just wrong in my eyes.

Still haven't had a chance to use the Upper Cathedral Key, I have to decipher the cryptic clues you guys gave me about it.

Strange reason
not to join covenants.

Lunar15

Beat it just this past friday. Great game, I like the speed of combat. I used the Threaded Cane, which is apparently not even that great? If that means the game is easier with other weapons, I'd have to say this is the easiest souls game I've ever played.

Only thing I didn't like was the occasional grinding for resources, like Blood Vials. I don't get what it adds when Estus Flasks were already a very elegant solution. This doesn't really add any additional challenge or tension to the game, just padding in the form of resource grinding.

The Flash

Banned
I hope the League patch and DLC improve PVP. It takes too long to invade and it's too easy to find and kill the maidens.

Beat it just this past friday. Great game, I like the speed of combat. I used the Threaded Cane, which is apparently not even that great? If that means the game is easier with other weapons, I'd have to say this is the easiest souls game I've ever played.

Says who? I have the Threaded Cane as well and it's awesome.

Ok, so Patches is a dick - pushed me right into the poison swamp, and now he's just hanging on the wall like a smug little prick. At least I didn't end up dying, that would've been frustrating.

I went and cleared the majority of the Nightmare Frontier, I know that I'm missing the Messenger's Gift spell so I'll go back for that. I managed to beat Amygdala on my first try, that tip about not moving when it jumps in the air was very useful.

I also found Alfred again and boy, I was not expecting that to happen when I gave him the Old Summons. He just straight up
murders Queen Annalise!

I'm kind of conflicted because I don't want anything to do with the Church, but the Executioners seem cool, but then again the Vilebloods also seemed interesting, but also they appear to be vampires and I'm not getting involved with the undead (the Queenly Flesh is still moving), but also the way Alfred took his own life just seems too zealous for me. I'm not one for people to kill themselves for a religious cause, it's just wrong in my eyes.

Still haven't had a chance to use the Upper Cathedral Key, I have to decipher the cryptic clues you guys gave me about it.

Religion in souls games is always like that, dark, deceiving and not in good nature.

Climb da tower.

Only thing I didn't like was the occasional grinding for resources, like Blood Vials. I don't get what it adds when Estus Flasks were already a very elegant solution. This doesn't really add any additional challenge or tension to the game, just padding in the form of resource grinding.

TC makes the battle trivials since you are no in the enemy distance but requires good timing and speed which the game is about, its only downside is the TC doesnt have strong burst of damage compared to other weapons at te cost of not putting you in danger.

On my fifth character now and I've been trying out the bell system for co-op (both summoning and getting summoned) for the first time and I think it works very well. I'm getting summoned in just a few minutes every time, and been enjoying it quite a lot. Always fun to go through a whole area together with a random hunter and finishing off with a boss fight.

RiggyRob

Strange reason
not to join covenants.

It's not about the covenants themselves, it's about
who I like to be alive at the end of the game. For example, I don't give a toss about Eileen, so I wasn't that beaten up about killing her to get her stuff, but Queen Annalise is interesting and Alfred's really cool and gives you loads of info, so I was a bit miffed that they both end up dead if you give him the Old Summons. I have both of the covenant runes anyway so I can pick and choose which one to use, but the benefits seem really minor.

Speaking of which, where can you get the Pyramid Head-style Executioner helm?

Religion in souls games is always like that, dark, deceiving and not in good nature.

Climb da tower.

Just like real life!

Melchiah

It's not about the covenants themselves, it's about
who I like to be alive at the end of the game. For example, I don't give a toss about Eileen, so I wasn't that beaten up about killing her to get her stuff, but Queen Annalise is interesting and Alfred's really cool and gives you loads of info, so I was a bit miffed that they both end up dead if you give him the Old Summons. I have both of the covenant runes anyway so I can pick and choose which one to use, but the benefits seem really minor.

Annalise can be
revived after beating Ebrietas.
, and you can
propose to her with the Ring of Betrothal.

Manu

Alfred's meltdown is just amazing.

"Master, look! I've done it, I've done it! I smashed and pounded and grounded this rotten siren into fleshy pink pulp! There, you filthy monstrosity! What good's your immortality now! Try stirring up trouble in this sorry state! All mangled and twisted, with every inside on the outside, for all the world to see! He heh hah hah Hah! He heh heh ha ha haah!"

And it's even better when you find out his VA also voiced Solaire in Dark Souls.

They said half way through. But they haven't been more specific than that... I would guess you need to get to Byrgenworth.
Cool. I think I'm going to hold off with progressing forward (killing Micolash and the Wet Nurse) and instead roam the world, PvP, and level my character. I'm currently a strenght build, but want to lvl up arcane so I can make use of various items like Beast Roar, Tiny Tonitrus, etc. Figure it will also be useful to have a cache of twin blood stones, and blood stone chunks, so I can quickly upgrade new weapons available in the DLC.

wiibomb

After doing everything posible and seeing that Iosefka just glitched out of my game, I decided to try out nightmare frontier (from patches). These winter laterns are horrible things.

Any tips for Amygdala? My goodness I'm being wrecked..

Skii

Okay just did my return session on Bloodborne and let's just say I got completely wrecked. I must be really rusty. I'm at the point after you beat Vicar Amelia (NG+). Got down the stairs and was immediately killed by frenzy by those wood wielding guys. Got past them, went to the left and barely managed to beat the two hunters there. Went right towards Hemlick lane and there is where the wrecking happened. I couldn't get near those 4 wielding the guns on the right. Struggled against those monster thingies that summon once your insight is above a certain level. I couldn't even make it to the Hemswick lamp lmao. It went that badly. Guess I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Disxo

Any weapon recommendations for (depth 5 boss spoiler)
Loran Darkbeast
my
chikage
has low area of attack and I always hit the parts I dont want.
Btw:
This boss is even harder than the chalice dungeon boss:
amygdala
I love it and hate it u.u.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Alfred's meltdown is just amazing.

"Master, look! I've done it, I've done it! I smashed and pounded and grounded this rotten siren into fleshy pink pulp! There, you filthy monstrosity! What good's your immortality now! Try stirring up trouble in this sorry state! All mangled and twisted, with every inside on the outside, for all the world to see! He heh hah hah Hah! He heh heh ha ha haah!"

And it's even better when you find out his VA also voiced Solaire in Dark Souls.

It really is. "... with every inside on the outside..." paints such a horrible image of both the sitaution and his personality. Gives me shivers just reading it!

Frognation did a wonderful job with this text, gotta hand it to them.

Honestly, the axe is great up until the middle of the game. Then you get a weapon that's better.
Axe to Ludwig. It's the path I took, and while i assume it's considered the noob path (which I am), the progression from axe to sword was damn fun. The axe teaches how to hit heavy, its then nice to use that timing with the transformed Holy Blade, and also have the speedy sword to slash with.

JackelZXA

Axe to Ludwig. It's the path I took, and while i assume it's considered the noob path (which I am), the progression from axe to sword was damn fun. The axe teaches how to hit heavy, its then nice to use that timing with the transformed Holy Blade, and also have the speedy sword to slash with.

Alot of people underestimate the kirkhammer just because it's not useful in all situations. It's actually faster than you'd expect, and it staggers and breaks armored parts on bosses faster than other weapons I've found. It is such a useful room clearing weapon and is great on bosses. I usually use Kirkhammer and Rifle Spear for PvE through most of the game. I use Holy Blade for enemies that aren't weak to kirkhammer, which are far and few between. Kirkhammer is so useful for the later parts of the game because it's so good against large enemies, and it actually has good transformation attacks. I think it's inelegant design and supposed klunker attacks put some people off, but when you get the timing and range down, it really ends up being worth it. If you pop the iron flesh consumable (I forget what it's called) you can actually tank many bosses with it. You'll be absorbing blood while staggering bosses through their first hit or so. I basically pummeled Logarias to death with it and didn't have to deal with his projectiles.

It really is. "... with every inside on the outside..." paints such a horrible image of both the sitaution and his personality. Gives me shivers just reading it!

Frognation did a wonderful job with this text, gotta hand it to them.

You gotta love Souls voice acting, is so unique

After doing everything posible and seeing that Iosefka just glitched out of my game, I decided to try out nightmare frontier (from patches). These winter laterns are horrible things.

Any tips for Amygdala? My goodness I'm being wrecked..

Me too. Never encountered it during my first play through. Being smashed to pieces on NG+.

I've seen people say "don't move when it jumps" but it never jumps. It swings its arms about like a madman and shoots me with lasers. Can't get near the thing.

RiggyRob

Melchiah, I haven't read what you posted above, but I assume it's about
reviving Queen Annalise in some way, which makes sense since they wouldn't give you Queenly Flesh as a key item if you couldn't do something with it.
I'll try and figure it out on my own for now, but I'll come back to your post if I need a tip.

Ludwig is great, I still used the axe for pvp mostly because it's got insane range.

Can't wait to be back when the dlc releases

Melchiah

Melchiah, I haven't read what you posted above, but I assume it's about
reviving Queen Annalise in some way, which makes sense since they wouldn't give you Queenly Flesh as a key item if you couldn't do something with it.
I'll try and figure it out on my own for now, but I'll come back to your post if I need a tip.

There's also an item that's related to her in the chalices. You have to do a specific chalice to find it.

myco666

Just loaded up my Reiterpallasch build that was at SoY. Damn I am rusty at this game.

edit.

Now that hunter at Byrgenwerth sheesh.

myco666

Lol we are all rusty! This is quite fun actually because I've forgotten where a lot of the items/traps were.

I guess last time I played this was almost three months ago. Still managed to beat SoY and Byrgenwerth hunter after few tries but when I played this more I usually beat everything in one try. I remember item locations surprisingly well still atleast for the important stuff like upgrade materials and weapons. Guess after 7 playthroughs I should remember them though haha.

wiibomb

Me too. Never encountered it during my first play through. Being smashed to pieces on NG+.

I've seen people say "don't move when it jumps" but it never jumps. It swings its arms about like a madman and shoots me with lasers. Can't get near the thing.

I'm being seriously smashed on that fight, I left the game kinda bummed yesterday because of it.

I try to hit it from behind and it will eventually jump, but when it doesn't the thing will just swing the arms like crazy and most of the time I'm too near and get wrecked by the move.

I usually get to the third phase, when the shit hits the fan and it will totally go insane.

I don't know if it is just because I'm in NG+, but this thing is a total pain

Skii

I guess last time I played this was almost three months ago. Still managed to beat SoY and Byrgenwerth hunter after few tries but when I played this more I usually beat everything in one try. I remember item locations surprisingly well still atleast for the important stuff like upgrade materials and weapons. Guess after 7 playthroughs I should remember them though haha.

Yeah this is my second playthrough lol. Can't imagine playing that many times. Hoping to defeat the witches today.

Lol we are all rusty! This is quite fun actually because I've forgotten where a lot of the items/traps were.
Funny enough I got him down to that magic one pixel of health and then I just get straight corner fucked and was never able to get that close again to beating him. Took me a bit too long to remember how to get the music box as well. Holy shit, I'm not at noob levels, but I'm not playing like I used to I guess, it's a weird middle ground. Having a split damage stat, that won't even come into effect till mid/late game ain't helping either. Probably should've just went str/arc and started with the spin to win axe.

Skii

Funny enough I got him down to that magic one pixel of health and then I just get straight corner fucked and was never able to get that close again to beating him. Took me a bit too long to remember how to get the music box as well. Holy shit, I'm not at noob levels, but I'm not playing like I used to I guess, it's a weird middle ground. Having a split damage stat, that won't even come into effect till mid/late game ain't helping either. Probably should've just went str/arc and started with the spin to win axe.

Yeah this actually happened to me whilst I was fighting Martyr Logarius on my first run. First try and I couldn't touch him and got completely wrecked. Second run I beat him but I'm sure it was a fluke. I know if I faced him another 10 times I wouldn't have beat him. It's just sometimes a bit of luck involved.

I'm struggling to deal with hordes at the moment because of playing TW3. It's so easy to manage them because obviously the game is easier but there are all those Witcher senses and potions/bombs that can make everything manageable. Now everything aside from your weapon in Bloodborne is basically ineffective on NG+. I need to learn to play again before I play the DLC.

Yeah this actually happened to me whilst I was fighting Martyr Logarius on my first run. First try and I couldn't touch him and got completely wrecked. Second run I beat him but I'm sure it was a fluke. I know if I faced him another 10 times I wouldn't have beat him. It's just sometimes a bit of luck involved.

I'm struggling to deal with hordes at the moment because of playing TW3. It's so easy to manage them because obviously the game is easier but there are all those Witcher senses and potions/bombs that can make everything manageable. Now everything aside from your weapon in Bloodborne is basically ineffective on NG+. I need to learn to play again before I play the DLC.
Actually NG+ wasn't that bad for me when I went through it, I only remember having trouble with Vicar Amelia with my skill/bloodtinge character, but most other things weren't too bad. From what I remember with NG+ if you're weapon isn't +9 or above then you're in for a hell of a time.

myco666

Well you could still use the Axe in early game and still go with Skill/Arc build as the scaling for all weapons kicks in more or less after Rom.

So is it worth taking my split skill/arcane build to 40 for the call beyond? Wondering if I should go for more skill than arcane or the other way around. I figure LHB and BoM still benefit better from pure skill but it's fun to do a different build and I'm looking forward to trying out the Hunter Tools, which I never really did much in previous runs. Kinda hoping for cool arcane weapon and tools in the DLC as well so want to be ready. Killed Eileen immediately to get the BoM which turned out to make it much more of a challenge compared to some of the starting weapons in early game (from FG and through BSB)

Love doing this run though, doing it co-op as much as possible makes it a great experience compared to running it solo for the 7th time. So much fun to be a group of hunters and just wrecking everything, and not just bosses as was my experience in earlier souls games.

Well you could still use the Axe in early game and still go with Skill/Arc build as the scaling for all weapons kicks in more or less after Rom.
It's a pain in the ass grinding shards that early in the game and cane is my waifu, but I might want to give it a try since my strength is at least 14. When does the flamesprayer get good? I don't have it yet, but I assume with a decent arcane level it puts out some decent damage. Arcane also ups the damage of molotovs and firepaper or is paper just a flat buff?

Skii

Actually NG+ wasn't that bad for me when I went through it, I only remember having trouble with Vicar Amelia with my skill/bloodtinge character, but most other things weren't too bad. From what I remember with NG+ if you're weapon isn't +9 or above then you're in for a hell of a time.

It's the gunshots that are ruining me. They take 1/3 of my life with each shot. And there are 5 huddled together so it's almost impossible for me to clear them at the moment. I clearly need to get better haha. Saw Cleaver doesn't have enough range either to hit more than one.

myco666

It's a pain in the ass grinding shards that early in the game and cane is my waifu, but I might want to give it a try since my strength is at least 14. When does the flamesprayer get good? I don't have it yet, but I assume with a decent arcane level it puts out some decent damage. Arcane also ups the damage of molotovs and firepaper or is paper just a flat buff?

Once you reach Old Yharnam you drown in shards as all the werewolves there drop them. I remember Flamesprayer being good already at BSB fight when it was +3. You should definetily go grab it from Gilbert after FG. I don't really remember if the fire paper scales with Arc. Started using Tonitrus immediately it was avaible for my Arc build so no papers for me.

myco666

You'll find lots after Rom, but before that I think there's just a few, one in the forbidden woods iirc, and like 3-4 at cainhurst. Enough to get one weapon to +7 I believe.

You can get weapon up to +8 once you reach Forbidden Woods. Don't think there is enough to get second weapon up to +7 since if I remember correctly getting weapon to +8 leaves you with 2 chunks from all you can collect by that point.

edit.
They're a rare drop from the gargoyles in Cainhurst, but not sure it's worth farming them before you have a moon rune or two.

To be honest I don't think it is worth farming them even if you have those runes. The droprate is horrible.

Shengar

You'll find lots after Rom, but before that I think there's just a few, one in the forbidden woods iirc, and like 3-4 at cainhurst. Enough to get one weapon to +7 I believe.

gargoyles at Cainhurst will sometimes drop them...... sometimes.

I remember a patch allowing you to farm them in chalice dungeons providing you've used up all the ones available in the story.

They're a rare drop from the gargoyles in Cainhurst too, but not sure it's worth farming them before you have a moon rune or two.

I haven't yet to go to Cainhurst castle nor picking up that one in Forbidden Woods. Gonna explore that damned forest again after finished with Nightmare Frontiers then.
Thanks for the answer.

embalm

I made some great progress this weekend.

Took down Father G.
Took down the Blood Starved Beast.
Got lost as all hell when I went jumping down some wooden beams in the Cathedral Ward.
Ended up getting kidnapped and I love how terrifying and overpowering this was.
Made my way back to the Cathedral and made it to what I think is the end of the level. I then got my ass kicked by a lightning mace man.

When should I try to take on some of the Chalice dungeons? Do I need to do anything to activate them?

myco666

I think you're probably right. The first one I ever killed though on my first playthrough dropped one and I thought that place was going to be candyland!

Haha must've been a bummer once you realized what the droprate was. I don't remember ever getting chunks as a drop but there are more than enough of them in the game so that you don't need to rely on drops.

Once you reach Old Yharnam you drown in shards as all the werewolves there drop them. I remember Flamesprayer being good already at BSB fight when it was +3. You should definetily go grab it from Gilbert after FG. I don't really remember if the fire paper scales with Arc. Started using Tonitrus immediately it was avaible for my Arc build so no papers for me.
Ok, just gotta get passed that Father G shaped brick wall first.

Top Bottom