• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

No I think those are the dudes that the witches summons. Black silhouettes with sickle weapons. At least those are spawning for me in those CD traps

Jesus, Logarius is ruining my day on this skill/arcane build.

God, I don't know I just did what I was told! The game is cryptic enough as it is to know what's needed and what's not for the Chalice Dungeons. I know I fought about 3 or 4 variations on that enemy, the big one where the centipede thing bursts out of it's face I'm sure was in the same dungeon as the final boss Queen. It's bigger, but it's the basic same enemy with that stupid sucker punch that reaches across the entire boss room practically.

I fought Abhorrent Beast at least twice in the chalice dungeons, too, and I followed a straight path to Ihyll.

I've yet to fight Micolash or Mergo (or Gehrman &
Moon Presence
), but so far... Logarius has been my toughest boss fight.
He's the hardest till you get to Upper Cathedral Ward,
Gherman
can be a pain in the ass too though.

The Celestial Emissary
was a piece of cake... but yeah, I cheated on
Ebrietas
... only boss I've used co-op on.
Only boss I cooped was Defiled Amygdala, I just didn't have the patience for that one oddly. Everybody else I straight soloed, but it seems like everybody has a boss that they used coop on.
Ebrietas
isn't that bad minus her damn charge and my skill/bloodtinge character cleaved through her ass in about 2 minutes. She didn't even last long enough to get into her third phase. Chalice version is legit though.

I think I might've blocked it all out once I got the platinum because of how scarring the memory of doing the Chalice Dungeons was.

Never again.
I remember so much from the chalices. I just looked at it like a more simplistic combat arena that you had to fight your way out using your wits and various other gadgets that you wouldn't use too much in the main campaign. Chalice dungeons really do give you a need for blue elixirs and bolt/fire paper and the occasional pungent blood cocktail.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does anyone feel like helping me with Rom+? I'm just the worst at this battle, level 120 but still can't do it.

Does anyone feel like helping me with Rom+? I'm just the worst at this battle, level 120 but still can't do it.

Take your time to kill the first wave of spiders, then smash the shit out of Rom until his energy is half way down. After that equip the Tonitrus and hit and run, hit and run, hit and run.

Easiest boss for me on NG+.

Hopefully by that point my skill/arcane character will not still be stuck on Father G. Dealing with NG++ and NG+ DLC will be interesting with my other two characters though.

I honestly decide on fun factor. I played Fallout 3, beat it once and I can't see myself playing Fallout 4 in it's current buggy state. I'll eventually buy it, but not at its current price tag. Last non Souls game I played was MGS V...I find it fun in doses but in the long run it's quite the chore to me. Pretty much these expansive side quest filled open world games are not favorites of mine. I'm honestly hoping Tales of Zestiria is good cause this fall season has pretty much just been quite boring to me. I'm not touching Ass Creed Syndicate, I might get Unity since it's dirt cheap at some point, but so far Bloodborne is my favorite game this year, which I honestly was not expecting to still be saying at this point. My gaming tastes are actually quite varied if you ever track down my trophy list, though varied up to a point. I know I still have to check out Witcher 3, but me and Western RPG's just don't mix that well. I hope it's better than Dragon Age Inquisition since the story just seemed to get lost in endless side quests and the battle system got boring after awhile. I'm also currently tempted by Toukiden Kiwami. Granted my favorite non PS4 games are probably the 2 Danganronpa games I got, Y's Memories of Celcetta and Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus. I really have to double check what I've even played this year though cause it gets badly jumbled for me since the last non souls game I've technically sunk time into recently has been Parasite Eve on my Vita and trying to survive in Dracula X Chronicles and those games are old!!!!

^

MGSV lost my attention quick. I made it to mission 17 and threw in the towel... as much as I enjoyed the gameplay and performance (it ran great on PC), the world/missions were simply too repetitive IMO. I doubt I will pick it up again.

By comparison, I never got bored with Bloodborne. When life got busy and I was unable to play for long periods of time, I still found myself thinking about the game... the environmental diversity, lore, and combat are hitting on all cylinders. It was a daunting task to pick the game up again after months of being away... but I had to, especially with the Old Hunters around the corner.

Fallout 4, at first glance... strikes me as more of the same. Been there, done that. I'm sure its a fun game, but I can wait till after the holiday's, once they've patched it, SLI is running, and mod's have been released to amp it up.

Is the first half of this game supposed to be so....easy? Been maining Ludwig's Holy Blade and I've gotten up to Cainhurst Castle after disposing Shadow Of Yharnam with minimal trouble. It's odd, the only boss I've died to so far is Father Gascoigne, and that was only once as well. I've had way more trouble playing through DS1 and DS2 than I have with this game.

BumRush

Is the first half of this game supposed to be so....easy? Been maining Ludwig's Holy Blade and I've gotten up to Cainhurst Castle after disposing Shadow Of Yharnam with minimal trouble. It's odd, the only boss I've died to so far is Father Gascoigne, and that was only once as well. I've had way more trouble playing through DS1 and DS2 than I have with this game.

FWIW, the 2 hardest bosses for me came AFTER where you're at
Ebrietas and ML

Being able to hit him through the graves with the spin attack makes the first 75% of the fight trivial.
No kidding, shit was hilarious. I've actually switched to more strength based until I get the LHB for this character. I think arcane works on that as well. Running around with the axe and Kirkhammer is pretty fun though the transformed Kirkhammer is slow as fuck and bounces off too many things.

wiibomb

Umm... guys.. is there a monster that can take out insight from me? I swear I had 83 before entering byrgenwerth and now I seen I'm having 78 O_O

Yes it's that brainsucker thing. Crouched over, wearing a robe, makes weird noises, will throw blue orbs at you. Have fun in Upper Cathedral Ward.

silva1991

Umm... guys.. is there a monster that can take out insight from me? I swear I had 83 before entering byrgenwerth and now I seen I'm having 78 O_O

Yes. the cthulhu head monsters.

Yes it's that brainsucker thing. Crouched over, wearing a robe, makes weird noises, will throw blue orbs at you. Have fun in Upper Cathedral Ward.

The worst thing is when they catch you and after that they spam their magic preventing you from doing anything lol. I lost millions of blood echos to them :(

wiibomb

Wow these chalice dungeons are getting crazy quickly, just defeated Rom in the lower pthumerian chalice.

I hope I'm doing this right, I want to meet that Yharnam Queen someday

myco666

I honestly decide on fun factor. I played Fallout 3, beat it once and I can't see myself playing Fallout 4 in it's current buggy state. I'll eventually buy it, but not at its current price tag. Last non Souls game I played was MGS V...I find it fun in doses but in the long run it's quite the chore to me. Pretty much these expansive side quest filled open world games are not favorites of mine. I'm honestly hoping Tales of Zestiria is good cause this fall season has pretty much just been quite boring to me. I'm not touching Ass Creed Syndicate, I might get Unity since it's dirt cheap at some point, but so far Bloodborne is my favorite game this year, which I honestly was not expecting to still be saying at this point. My gaming tastes are actually quite varied if you ever track down my trophy list, though varied up to a point. I know I still have to check out Witcher 3, but me and Western RPG's just don't mix that well. I hope it's better than Dragon Age Inquisition since the story just seemed to get lost in endless side quests and the battle system got boring after awhile. I'm also currently tempted by Toukiden Kiwami. Granted my favorite non PS4 games are probably the 2 Danganronpa games I got, Y's Memories of Celcetta and Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus. I really have to double check what I've even played this year though cause it gets badly jumbled for me since the last non souls game I've technically sunk time into recently has been Parasite Eve on my Vita and trying to survive in Dracula X Chronicles and those games are old!!!!

^

MGSV lost my attention quick. I made it to mission 17 and threw in the towel... as much as I enjoyed the gameplay and performance (it ran great on PC), the world/missions were simply too repetitive IMO. I doubt I will pick it up again.

By comparison, I never got bored with Bloodborne. When life got busy and I was unable to play for long periods of time, I still found myself thinking about the game... the environmental diversity, lore, and combat are hitting on all cylinders. It was a daunting task to pick the game up again after months of being away... but I had to, especially with the Old Hunters around the corner.

Fallout 4, at first glance... strikes me as more of the same. Been there, done that. I'm sure its a fun game, but I can wait till after the holiday's, once they've patched it, SLI is running, and mod's have been released to amp it up.

I've been playing MGSV almost 200hours and I still can't stop playing. Haven't played open-world games since inFamous2 though so that might explain why it feels so fun for me to play it. I love Bloodborne way more though and I had to force myself to stop playing it so that I could play other games. Once TOH is out I will probably play the game through multiple times again and not play anything else for rest of the year.

Wow these chalice dungeons are getting crazy quickly, just defeated Rom in the lower pthumerian chalice.

I hope I'm doing this right, I want to meet that Yharnam Queen someday

Here is a good guide on how to get to the Queen.

Jombie

He's a pain, but he doesn't constantly spam paralysis magic, when not phantom grabbing you and consuming insight and 3/4 of your HP.

I've been playing MGSV almost 200hours and I still can't stop playing. Haven't played open-world games since inFamous2 though so that might explain why it feels so fun for me to play it. I love Bloodborne way more though and I had to force myself to stop playing it so that I could play other games. Once TOH is out I will probably play the game through multiple times again and not play anything else for rest of the year.
It just kept feeling like the same thing to me and I just got sick and freaking tired of grinding for gmp and fuel so I put it down and went back to something that seemed more focused in its design. MGS V felt like the focus was put on having all these options to you, but then I just found a system that worked for the most part and couldn't be bothered doing anything else. Quiet + her silenced tranq rifle + a silenced tranq rifle of your own will pretty much take you through most of the game. Unless you need to time trial taking out armor or some other stuff you don't need to switch it up too much. Plus I always played Metal Gear for the story and it's pretty sparse in V. I stopped at mission 22. I really need to pick it back up again, but if a game feels like a chore it just gets shelved. Granted I've played my fair share of open world stuff so they tend to lose me pretty quickly. At the very least I like MGS V more than GTA V.
He's a pain, but he doesn't constantly spam paralysis magic, when not phantom grabbing you and consuming insight and 3/4 of your HP.
They're not too bad solo, but a group of them can eat a dick. That one room in UCW can be a fucking disaster if you're not careful.

wiibomb

thank you, I'll follow that guide, there seems to be way too many chalice dungeons to go on and try to beat them all, and they don't seem to have a well defined order..

chalice dungeons are a nice idea that needs a little more refinement, I dunno.. like multiplayer only? that would make them more fun

BTW, now that I finally defeated Amygdala (on solo! wooooooo!!!) I'm quite afraid to enter cainhurst castle, which would be a good time to enter? I just defeated Rom and I'm halfway through Yahar'gul

thank you, I'll follow that guide, there seems to be way too many chalice dungeons to go on and try to beat them all, and they don't seem to have a well defined order..

chalice dungeons are a nice idea that needs a little more refinement, I dunno.. like multiplayer only? that would make them more fun

BTW, now that I finally defeated Amygdala (on solo! wooooooo!!!) I'm quite afraid to enter cainhurst castle, which would be a good time to enter? I just defeated Rom and I'm halfway through Yahar'gul
Depending on your level you can do Logarius after Rom. I think I usually try to be in my 60's or 70's for Logarius. Cainhurst itself isn't too bad, but Logarius can be a hard fight.

wiibomb

Depending on your level you can do Logarius after Rom. I think I usually try to be in my 60's or 70's for Logarius. Cainhurst itself isn't too bad, but Logarius can be a hard fight.
well, the bad part is I'm in NG+, I'm on level 142, so I guess that would be enough to enter the place

I put Cainhust between 30 and 40, the boss is quite hard for 40, maybe 40-55 to have a chance against him.

Oh, NG+ ? maybe 60 not really a difference just more health and damage

myco666

It just kept feeling like the same thing to me and I just got sick and freaking tired of grinding for gmp and fuel so I put it down and went back to something that seemed more focused in its design. MGS V felt like the focus was put on having all these options to you, but then I just found a system that worked for the most part and couldn't be bothered doing anything else. Quiet + her silenced tranq rifle + a silenced tranq rifle of your own will pretty much take you through most of the game. Unless you need to time trial taking out armor or some other stuff you don't need to switch it up too much. Plus I always played Metal Gear for the story and it's pretty sparse in V. I stopped at mission 22. I really need to pick it back up again, but if a game feels like a chore it just gets shelved. Granted I've played my fair share of open world stuff so they tend to lose me pretty quickly. At the very least I like MGS V more than GTA V.

That is a sure way to get burnt out on the game. Now that I have everything done that can be done I just fool around with different equipment and try different stuff. That is where the game shines. You also don't really need to grind all that much if you want to go through the story.

I think there should be way less 'mandatory' Chalices and the costs should be lower so that you wouldn't need to search every dungeon so throughout.

You can enter Cainhurst immediately you get access to Forbidden Woods and you would be fine aside from the boss. That boss is one of the harder ones.

Yeah I keep hearing that you don't need to grind to get through the story, but I'm just sitting there grinding to have more space to put my troops because it gets capped and once you're at a certain point it takes forever getting the resources to expand your base. I capture a lot of troops and just wind up sending my combat team on missions and then eventually those get harder and require more troops and so on and so forth. I fulton so many freaking things. Sad thing is there really doesn't seem to be that much of a story. I will admit, it's been a good amount of time since I beat a story mission with a cutscene. One of the last ones I remember is when we brought the kids on board. I think the last one I did was mission 22. I mean I'll eventually get back to it, but I think I hit the point where I needed a break.
well, the bad part is I'm in NG+, I'm on level 142, so I guess that would be enough to enter the place
Dude you should be fine. NG+ doesn't scale that much. I think with my second character in NG+ the hardest thing I fought was Vicar Amelia, but I think my first character in NG+ pretty much just steamrolled through everything.

Trying to power through some chalices to get some nice bolt or fire gems for my arcane build but got stopped dead in my tracks at the undead giant in lower pthumeru chalice. This dude hits like a truck, at lvl 65 a single swipe of his scythe takes away like 95% of my health (vit 22) and my +7 weapon does very little damage to him. I feel like I can get him in enough tries but it seems more likely that I'll end up with a big L and 0 vials so I'll put this on hold for now...

The chalices are fun again though. It seems like some of the enemies are changing up as well? I still haven't run into a single metal guy - most of them seems to have been replaced by the fat guardians, snatchers, or a dude with a giant sword that one shots me if he connects. I don't know what's different except my arcane is much higher than I've had before. When I did some with my bloodtinge build I had faced a ton of madmen by the time I got this far.

wiibomb

Dude you should be fine. NG+ doesn't scale that much. I think with my second character in NG+ the hardest thing I fought was Vicar Amelia, but I think my first character in NG+ pretty much just steamrolled through everything.

I don't know, but I felt they scalated pretty well, did had to do quite some tried before defeating the Blood-Starved Beast. Vical Amelia was pretty easy once I found how to deal with hear

I prefer to ask since once I enter an area I won't enter another different one until I defeat the boss from that area, I don't like to leave loose ends, and since I'm planning to enter there (I heard there are some horror stories from that place) then I plan to tread carefully

mattp

i was looking around trying to figure out what could trigger the "eye of a blood drunk hunter" to appear (the item they said you need to get to the dlc) and i noticed this description on the wiki for one of the eileen questline fights

"The Bloody Crow of Cainhurst is a hunter who has presumably gone mad with bloodlust, and as a result became a target of Eileen the Crow."
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Bloody+Crow+of+Cainhurst

Top Bottom