• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

wiibomb

They better confirm that before I get to Byrgenwerth on my new character cause I always kill his fat ass to get that rune.

I got that rune from my first playthrough but didn't notice much of a change in the drop rates, I guess I'm not that lucky.

BTW, I'm I the only believing that Master Willem was the only right person in this game? I mean, he pursued insight and that drives men insane, sure, but he tried to avoid the blood and self insanity seems less harmful than a whole plague of beast on a city because of the use of old blood.

Ophelion

wow, Castle Cainhurst is one of the best place I've come in this game, this is an ominous atmosphere to it, and the library, the place not only is huge, but also detailed...

and the bloodsucking beats can go fuck themselves.. those things are a real pain and creepy as fuck

Cainhurst is pretty much what I imagine a 3D Castlevania game would be like the 3D entries in that series had ever been good.

The attention to detail in that optional zone is incredible. Amazing atmosphere, great treasure, top tier boss fight. Cainhurst is easily one of my favorite places in the game.

And I love the flavor text on the Cainhurst Invitation. So ominous and spooky. Love it.

I got that rune from my first playthrough but didn't notice much of a change in the drop rates, I guess I'm not that lucky.

BTW, I'm I the only believing that Master Willem was the only right person in this game? I mean, he pursued insight and that drives men insane, sure, but he tried to avoid the blood and self insanity seems less harmful than a whole plague of beast on a city because of the use of old blood.
I've never even used it. I just kill him cause I know he's got a rune, I might have used it once or twice when I was farming the UCW werewolves for blood chunks.

Ghazi

Am I the only one who thinks the Rom fight is mindbogglingly stupid? Almost at twenty tries now and I can't afford to get hit by anything or I instantly die.

TheFuzz

yup, that progress is lost on NG+(+)

EDIT: I guess I should add that you could also start a new character if you don't want to enter the DLC on NG+

Is this confirmed?

It seems really stupid to penalize someone for beating the game. I don't have the time to play through 2/3 of the game again, and it doesn't seem right that you cannot just access the expansion through the menu or Hunters Dream. When did FS say you had to be there and couldn't access it after beating the game?

Edit: it looks like you may be incorrect, based on what I found here http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/10/how_will_you_access_bloodborne_the_old_hunters_on_ps4. It says you won't have to replay and a "cleared" game file from a previous save will get you access.

Renewed

I pumped my strength up to 28 and my Kirkhammer to +6 and finally beat Paarl. Thanks for the tips about the back legs, seems like he doesn't have many fast moves that cover that. And the blast seems to be prone to just dodging through which was awesome.

myco666

Is this confirmed?

It seems really stupid to penalize someone for beating the game. I don't have the time to play through 2/3 of the game again, and it doesn't seem right that you cannot just access the expansion through the menu or Hunters Dream. When did FS say you had to be there and couldn't access it after beating the game?

Edit: it looks like you may be incorrect, based on what I found here http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/10/how_will_you_access_bloodborne_the_old_hunters_on_ps4. It says you won't have to replay and a "cleared" game file from a previous save will get you access.

Well everything is just assumptions at this point since there is no clear confirmation on anything and that is how it has worked before with Souls games. Even that article that says you can use cleared save doesn't really confirm anything aside from you being able to use already created character. I actually think it is really great way to add DLC as it integrates itself to being part of the game world and not just something you select from a menu. But we really have to just wait and see how it actually works so if you won't have time playing through the game again you might want to wait for confirmation on release day how the DLC will be accessed.

edit.
I pumped my strength up to 28 and my Kirkhammer to +6 and finally beat Paarl. Thanks for the tips about the back legs, seems like he doesn't have many fast moves that cover that. And the blast seems to be prone to just dodging through which was awesome.

Just beat him yesterday also. I usually fight him way overleveled so I didn't have any actual strategy but soon realized doing charge attacks on its legs when he powers up keeps him stunned and you can loop it really easily.

Also what is up with Djura being hostile even after beating Paarl? Shouldn't he be friendly now?

wiibomb

Is this confirmed?

really depends, may be the area is accessible from the hunters dream as soon as the DLC comes, but if this is outside of the dream, you will need to get there, if it is on Byrgenwerth, of course you will need to get there for the DLC, or else how are you supposed to get there?

also take in mind that the DLC escalates with the game (NG+), if you just go there, even if you want to from the very begging you might have a (very) hard time if you are too underleveled.

also, I think it was confirmed that you need to get to a certain point in story to get the item for the DLC, and that would mean you potentially need to get to that point of story to go to the new area
Just beat him yesterday also. I usually fight him way overleveled so I didn't have any actual strategy but soon realized doing charge attacks on its legs when he powers up keeps him stunned and you can loop it really easily.

Also what is up with Djura being hostile even after beating Paarl? Shouldn't he be friendly now?

I read yesterday that you unfriend (permanently) him if you hurt a single beast from Old Yharnam, so that could be it

TheFuzz

You may be right. Hopefully consuming the item just sends you straight to Byrgenwerth if that is the case. Hopefully they don't require you to be at a certain point but NOT beat the game. I have a new character that I'm in Old Yarnham with, but there's too much coming soon and I'd like to be able to play it immediately. We will see.

tariniel

I can't believe how easy Vicar Amelia was on my 2nd character. On my first character, she was the hardest boss in the game and took 9 attempts. On my new character, I destroyed her on the first try, and only used 2 vials.

I think it's because my first character, I did what I usually do in Dark Souls which is pump health up before anything else, and my damage was insanely low. On my second character, I'm mostly putting stats into damage. I may have also gotten better at the game, who knows.

But now that I've got her down, I can finally go to Cainhurst and get the weapons I want for this build. But I have to kill Logarius, which I'm dreading a bit. Maybe it will be easier this time too, like Amelia...?

Ophelion

I can't believe how easy Vicar Amelia was on my 2nd character. On my first character, she was the hardest boss in the game and took 9 attempts. On my new character, I destroyed her on the first try, and only used 2 vials.

I think it's because my first character, I did what I usually do in Dark Souls which is pump health up before anything else, and my damage was insanely low. On my second character, I'm mostly putting stats into damage. I may have also gotten better at the game, who knows.

But now that I've got her down, I can finally go to Cainhurst and get the weapons I want for this build. But I have to kill Logarius, which I'm dreading a bit. Maybe it will be easier this time too, like Amelia...?

Are you better at parry now? If so, you'll be fine. He's definitely a boss that gets progressively easier the better you get at gun parries.

Renewed

I actually locked Paarl into a corner and abused him down to 10% before he got away. It was disgusting...

Also wondered about that, because I went up there for the first time and he started fighting me and immediately fell off. Couldn't get his items!

I read yesterday that you unfriend (permanently) him if you hurt a single beast from Old Yharnam, so that could be it

Oh that'd explain it. I'm no pacifist... but I do run past enemies to get to the bosses when I've had enough (ie. the 20 Paarl runs).

Deku Tree

So if I beat the game and am on NG+ I have to get back to Byrgenwerth again just to access DLC?

Assuming that Byrgenwerth is the place where you have to reach, which they haven't disclosed, then yes it sounds like from what they said that you would have to do that.

wiibomb

Oh that'd explain it. I'm no pacifist... but I do run past enemies to get to the bosses when I've had enough (ie. the 20 Paarl runs).

it happens only if you kill paarl and after that you hurt a single beast from Old Yharnam, before paarl it won't matter how many you kill

Anyone want to help me with Rom? Been fighting him back to back since my last post...

Kill the first wave of spiders. Then target Rom and smash the shit out of it. Keep hitting even when it vanishes.
Equip your Tonitrus, ignore the new wave of spiders and run in, get a few hits in, run out. Rinse and repeat.

It's by far the easiest boss in the game.

Ghazi

Her.

Rom is a girl.
Yeah, I read that. Still going to refer to her as him.
Yes. Rom isn't hard.

I'm bad at the game, pls send help

Kill the first wave of spiders. Then target Rom and smash the shit out of it. Keep hitting even when it vanishes.
Equip your Tonitrus, ignore the new wave of spiders and run in, get a few hits in, run out. Rinse and repeat.

I don't have a Tonitrus, although I've seen it's recommended since Rom's weak to bolt damage. I suppose I'm probably underleveled, since my biggest issue is one hit from anything usually kills me. I didn't have much trouble leading up to Rom, surprisingly. Last boss I fought was Shadow of Yharnham and I thought that was pretty straightforward and easy, other than the snakes which I just basically skipped that part on my second try.

Yeah, I read that. Still going to refer to her as him.

I'm bad at the game, pls send help

I don't have a Tonitrus, although I've seen it's recommended since Rom's weak to bolt damage. I suppose I'm probably underleveled, since my biggest issue is one hit from anything usually kills me. I didn't have much trouble leading up to Rom, surprisingly. Last boss I fought was Shadow of Yharnham and I thought that was pretty straightforward and easy, other than the snakes which I just basically skipped that part on my second try.

Bolt Paper?

Melchiah

Easier than the Witch, CE and Micolash?! Nah. I've had problems with beating her on both playthroughs, and in the chalices. I'm not looking forward to facing her again when the DLC hits, as I left the 3rd playthrough just before Byrgenwerth. She's the boss I hate the most. Goddam minions. I really hope the DLC won't feature such bosses.

Manu

Bolt Paper can be bought on the Insight store, not the regular store.

Rom is one of those fights that is hard the first time but then gets progressively easier.

Ghazi, what problems are you mainly running in to with Rom?

My first playthrough was with a SL4 character (this games nearest to SL1) so I know about one-hit kills from bosses! I'm linking to my SL4 run not to say "I'm a bad ass!", I'm far from the only one to do a SL4 run, but because I played it SUPER, super catious, safe and slow and that's how I killed her at low health after about half a dozen tries. Taking out all the spiders, slowly picking off the stragglers around the edge until it was just her.

Take out at least the first wave of spiders, take out ever last one if you want I think I did and dodge the ice/magic attacks. You can roll dodge them as they come down or just outrun them which I find easier. The little spiders weak point is anything but their heads, which I guess you've already worked out. As always don't get greedy, get a few hits in and then get out before she does an attack. Keep on the move. If you try to keep Rom in the view of the camera even when you're far away you can see which magic attack she is going to do because they all look different.

Ghazi

Ghazi, what problems are you mainly running in to with Rom?

My first playthrough was with a SL4 character (this games nearest to SL1) so I know about one-hit kills from bosses! I'm linking to my SL4 run not to say "I'm a bad ass!", I'm far from the only one to do a SL4 run, but because I played it SUPER, super catious, safe and slow and that's how I killed her at low health after about half a dozen tries. Taking out all the spiders, slowly picking off the stragglers around the edge until it was just her.

Take out at least the first wave of spiders, take out ever last one if you want I think I did and dodge the ice/magic attacks. You can roll dodge them as they come down or just outrun them which I find easier. The little spiders weak point is anything but their heads, which I guess you've already worked out. As always don't get greedy, get a few hits in and then get out before she does an attack. Keep on the move. If you try to keep Rom in the view of the camera even when you're far away you can see which magic attack she is going to do because they all look different.

I appreciate the writeup, I managed to beat her. I was using a slow weapon, seems to have been the root of my issues, I gave the saw cleaver a try and cleared it all pretty easily. I guess I just didn't have enough mobility, I found it difficult to stay agile enough to clear the adds and avoid the boss. Compared to souls I like how BB encourages a much more aggressive playstyle, but I've realized that everything else is much more faster and aggressive as well.

I appreciate the writeup, I managed to beat her. I was using a slow weapon, seems to have been the root of my issues, I gave the saw cleaver a try and cleared it all pretty easily. I guess I just didn't have enough mobility, I found it difficult to stay agile enough to clear the adds and avoid the boss. Compared to souls I like how BB encourages a much more aggressive playstyle, but I've realized that everything else is much more faster and aggressive as well.
Yay, well done. I think the saw cleaver is really *the* weapon of BB. The moveset is great and really suits the pace of combat. The L1 transform attack is really useful for tagging on the end of an R1 combo as it usually staggers enemies and it's great for crowd control.

Tip for incoming battles

Arcanes bosses are weak to lightning (Tronitus will be your light trought darkness and Lightning paper)
Electric Bosses are weak to fire (Fire paper will be your best ally since the fire gems kinda halves your weapon damage greatly)
Hunters are weak to poison (corridors will be their demise, hostile enemies can kill them too after you aggro them)

Dont forget neutral roll makes you step back regardless of direction and try not use lock on on fights, incomings bosses are really bad in camera positioning.

Yay, well done. I think the saw cleaver is really *the* weapon of BB. The moveset is great and really suits the pace of combat. The L1 transform attack is really useful for tagging on the end of an R1 combo as it usually staggers enemies and it's great for crowd control.

Indeed its passive against beast is sometimes overlooked since the cleaver deals massive damage to monsters and more if the monster are bosses or in ther final stages of enemy type.

wiibomb

Anyone knows if joining the Vileblood covenant will lock me on the covenant of Alfred? I'm with analise now but I fear to swear allegiance.

I also haven't found Alfred...

Anyone knows if joining the Vileblood covenant will lock me on the covenant of Alfred? I'm with analise now but I fear to swear allegiance.

I also haven't found Alfred...
You can always change your covenant later. Alfred is usually found first in Cathedral Ward area he's down the stairs the to right in the area where the rifleman is waiting for you with a two door ambush. Anybody know if it's better to talk during a livestream cause I have no idea how to answer questions on there.

Manu

Okay, let's do this (again.)

12241713_10208138113040495_4343529768789664514_n.jpg

12247041_10208138119880666_1492421346730375625_n.jpg

The cane has a much bigger learning curve than I expected. I almost feel like I'm learning how to play the game for the first time.

Renewed

Yo I fucking legit hate fucking BSB he's always my fucking wall boss god damn that motherfucker!!!!

I was having an easier time with BSB when I started dodging toward and behind the repeated slashes. Although I never tried shooting when it would attack me... I should probably figure this out. And everything else.

I was having an easier time with BSB when I started dodging toward and behind the repeated slashes. Although I never tried shooting when it would attack me... I should probably figure this out. And everything else.
He can be parried. I think I usually do better against him on straight skill builds and not split damage builds like skill/bloodtinge or skill/arcane. I did beat him though using jolly cooperation with Alfred eventually though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtUYYwbJGmE

Ghazi

Got all the way from the beginning to the Wet Nurse today, good progress. The game is awesome.

E: Actually went back and killed her and chose the
submit
ending, I know I missed a couple of bosses and I haven't even done chalices so I'll have another go

RiggyRob

Annalise can be
revived after beating Ebrietas.
, and you can
propose to her with the Ring of Betrothal.

Yup, I figured that since you get Queenly Flesh as a key item, there was some way to
revive Queen Annalise, but all it seems to do is literally reverse time for her, she doesn't seem to remember being pulverised by Alfred. Also, I have no idea what the Ring of Betrothal is, so I'll have to hunt that down.

It's sort of a have your cake and eat it too situation since I can offer her Blood Dregs again.
Speaking of which, does giving Annalise Blood Dregs actually do anything if you're playing solely offline?

Also damn Ebrietas, you scary.

It might be non-optimal but I've been levelling my character so that I can use all of the guns and weapons, even though I wanted to focus on Arcane, and now that I have A Call Beyond I can see why people say you should have 40 Arcane.

Currently at the Nightmare of Mensis with:
30 Vitality
26 Endurance
30 Strength
13 Skill
10 Bloodtinge
25 Arcane

3 more levels to use the Chikage, then it's time to pump up the Arcane!

Easier than the Witch, CE and Micolash?! Nah. I've had problems with beating her on both playthroughs, and in the chalices. I'm not looking forward to facing her again when the DLC hits, as I left the 3rd playthrough just before Byrgenwerth. She's the boss I hate the most. Goddam minions. I really hope the DLC won't feature such bosses.

I was thinking about this a little more after I posted, and you're right. There are many easier bosses than Rom.
Looking back I struggled quite a bit in my first play through. It was only in NG+ with my +9 Tonitrus that I walked that fight.

Finally beat that Watchdog of the Old Lords or whatever the little shit is called. My heart was racing, I was physically shaking afterwards. Got it's health right down, one more hit and surely it will die. Made the schoolboy error of going all in and throwing my strategy out of the window. It pulverised me. My health went straight down, thought I was dead, was sure of it, almost started crying. Somehow I got back to my feet, quickly adjusted and landed that final blow. The relief! What an exhausting fight.

Nothing can stop me now!

Next boss...Amygdala...

I'm out.

I thought defiled Amy G was way easier than the watchdog so you should be fine. The flaming dog took me many tries, and felt impossible really, but I got Amy in my first try. Its moveset ain't that bad, usually it helps to stay in front to bait an attack, dodge some to the side and hit the arms, or head preferably if you have an appropriate weapon. Remember to stand still when it jumps. And then you'll be done with the hardest part of the game!

It might be non-optimal but I've been levelling my character so that I can use all of the guns and weapons, even though I wanted to focus on Arcane, and now that I have A Call Beyond I can see why people say you should have 40 Arcane.

Currently at the Nightmare of Mensis with:
30 Vitality
26 Endurance
30 Strength
13 Skill
10 Bloodtinge
25 Arcane

3 more levels to use the Chikage, then it's time to pump up the Arcane!

With only 13 in skill and bloodtinge the Chikage will unfortunately probably be very underwhelming to you. The beauty lies in the balance between having the transformed mode drain health but also hit like a truck if your BT is decently leveled. For you, at the level you're at right now, it might not be that good. But you might as well try it to check out how it plays and perhaps go for a BT focused build later on - it's super fun and very powerful.

Melchiah

Yup, I figured that since you get Queenly Flesh as a key item, there was some way to
revive Queen Annalise, but all it seems to do is literally reverse time for her, she doesn't seem to remember being pulverised by Alfred. Also, I have no idea what the Ring of Betrothal is, so I'll have to hunt that down.

It's sort of a have your cake and eat it too situation since I can offer her Blood Dregs again.
Speaking of which, does giving Annalise Blood Dregs actually do anything if you're playing solely offline?

Here's how you can find the ring:
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Ring+of+Betrothal

I'm hoping there's some additional use for it, and the Yharnam Stone, in the DLC.

To my knowledge giving her the Blood Dregs grants you nothing but her gratitude offline, like I've played the game.

Blood Dregs:
Used to increase covenant ranking
Using them will also Give insight (+1)

I was thinking about this a little more after I posted, and you're right. There are many easier bosses than Rom.
Looking back I struggled quite a bit in my first play through. It was only in NG+ with my +9 Tonitrus that I walked that fight.

Rom was also one of those bosses I didn't manage to beat on the first try on my second playthrough. I used Tonitrus on the initial playthrough, as I depleted my supply of Bolt Papers trying to beat her with the Cane. On the second time I just used the Cane, like with all the other bosses.

RiggyRob

With only 13 in skill and bloodtinge the Chikage will unfortunately probably be very underwhelming to you. The beauty lies in the balance between having the transformed mode drain health but also hit like a truck if your BT is decently leveled. For you, at the level you're at right now, it might not be that good. But you might as well try it to check out how it plays and perhaps go for a BT focused build later on - it's super fun and very powerful.
Oh I know, I just like having the ability to use the weapons even though the damage output might not be worth it. I'm guessing the Chikage is the Skill/Bloodtinge equivalent of Logarius' Wheel, which I haven't tested out properly.

Got the Saw Cleaver and Tonitrus both at +9, which suits me fine.

Here's how you can find the ring:
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Ring+of+Betrothal

I'm hoping there's some additional use for it, and the Yharnam Stone, in the DLC.

To my knowledge giving her the Blood Dregs grants you nothing but her gratitude offline, like I've played the game.

Oh. The ring doesn't really do anything, and you have to go through Chalice dungeons to get it? That's lame.

Speaking of which though, the last Chalice I did was the Lower Pthumeru (stopped after beating Rom funnily enough), still got Hintertomb, Great Isz from Ebrietas and the one Amygdala dropped to do.

silva1991

Thanks! Anyplace that I can look up hat is the furthest in the game lanterns in order? I don't remember their order...

The main lanterns in order:

Central Yharnam
Tomb of Oedon(boss: Father G)
Cathedral Ward
Grand Cathedral(boss: Vicar Amelia)
Forbidden Woods
Forbidden Grave(Boss: Shadows of Yharnam)
Byrgenwerth
Moonside Lake(boss: Rom)------------------------------probably what unlocks the DC
Yahar'gul, Unseen Village
Yahar'gul Chapel
Advent Plaza(boss: One Reborn)
Lecture Building
Nightmare of Mensis
Mergo's Loft: Base
Mergo's Loft: Middle(boss: Micolash)
Wet Nurse's Lunarium( boss: wet nurse)

Top Bottom