• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

I still don't get why he
died

Actually, the reasons why
Alfred is dead
are still a bit of a mystery.

There are several theories running around for why Alfred did what he did:

1. He wanted to follow in the footsteps of Master Logarius. Executioners are considered a fundamentalist sect and might not have been that well respected by the Healing Church for being incredibly violent weirdos. Alfred has little knowledge of the higher levels of the church and they seem to worship Martyr Logarius instead of the great ones.
He might have been looking for a way to bring honour to the sect by turning his master and himself into martyrs or saints.
2. At the Executioner shrine, there are many graves. Most of the executioners might have died at Cainhurst but Alfred was left behind. (Logarius might have thought that his protege was too precious to lose...or maybe Alfred might have jeopardised things since he thinks with his heart more than his head.)
After finishing what the Executioners started, he went to join his peers. He was lonely but he wanted to honour their sacrifices.
3.Good needs evil to define itself.
Hunting vilebloods was his purpose, but now that the source (Annalise) has been extinguished(?), he only has the existential void to face. Rather than face a world where his life is purposeless, he decides to end it.
4. Alfred leaves a mysterious offering.
There is a Crown of Illusions on the altar. The item description states that Logarius received mysterious visions when he put it on. If, perchance, Alfred put it on too, there's a chance some horrible truth could've been revealed to him.
5. One of the most common themes in the game are beasthood vs the church; the church wishing to be a font of rationality and enlightenment and beasthood representing primal desires and instinct in man. Miyazaki mentioned that beasthood causes conflict in the human self; you may subdue it temporarily with willpower and prayer, but it always pushes back harder and harder until you succumb and become a beast.
I would certainly say his murdering of Queen Annalise would be indicative of being taken over by primal urges that have, until this point, been repressed. After the bloodlust had cleared, he realized that he would soon succumb to beasthood and killed himself. Whether out of desire to protect others or to preserve his "purity" in death, one can't be certain.
6. Here's an obscure one: Noble blood seems to have seeped into the commoners of Yharnam. Arianna makes her living as a prostitute, but her clothes denote her as someone with family ties to Cainhurst. It's possible people living with Cainhurst blood in their veins live scattered throughout the Cathedral Ward, who were either spared by Executioners during their raid or escaped to scrape out a living in Yharnam.
Some people have noticed that Arianna and Alfred have very similar facial features; the same pinched nose and melancholy eyes. There's a possibility Alfred has family ties to Cainhust as well but despite his lineage, Logarius took him in and gave him a purpose and place to belong. But such a setup would also encourage a fair amount of self-hatred. In order to be seen as someone "good" despite his bloodline, he aspires to kill the Queen and himself, the only two remaining Cainhurst nobles he knows of.
Kind of grasping, but pretty interesting, imo.

Of course, some think he was assassinated. If the Bloody Crow is anything to go by, servants of the Queen might still roam the streets undetected.

Anyway, Alfred had only a little screen time, (most of it wasted on him giving exposition, imo) but the end of his quest does ask a lot of interesting possibilities for his motives. He's up there with Gwyndolin and Lautrec on my favourite character list since there's several good guesses for what their motivations are and their morality ends up a bit on the grey side, no matter how they first came off as.

Also, Flynn did a great job voicing Alfred. Since he was also Solaire and Targray, I'm looking forward to seeing what character he'll play in DS3.

When does Iosefka make her exit? Is it after she offers to take people in or is that the fake one?

I think it's right before the clinic starts taking patients. Remember how Iosefka was adamant on keeping the clinic in quarantine when she first met you? She was also talking about meeting you after the hunt and being excited to see what you looked like, so it seemed like she didn't want to let anyone new in for fear of contamination or an attack during the Hunt. I think that since the policy on accepting new patients changed, it's indicated that's when the fake Iosefka takes over.

myco666

I dunno, we are living in a overpriced DLC with small content, I hope is not the case in Bloodborne

Well we already know it is going to have around 10+ new weapons so it is already well worth the asking price. Even if it turns out to be short I don't mind it if it is as good as main game areas.

Ghazi

Well we already know it is going to have around 10+ new weapons so it is already well worth the asking price. Even if it turns out to be short I don't mind it if it is as good as main game areas.

I mean Artorias was pretty fairly priced for size, excellent value imo. Dark Souls 2 DLC was some of the best content in the game. I'm expecting similar content/quality from this.

myco666

I mean Artorias was pretty fairly priced for size, excellent value imo. Dark Souls 2 DLC was some of the best content in the game. I'm expecting similar content/quality from this.

Yeah FS has done really good job with all of their DLC so I have no doubts that they will deliver again. I doubt that it will be better than the main game as the main game is fantastic but it will certainly be good.

Nazo

Just got done an Executioner cosplay build play through were I used the Kirk Hammer and Logarius' Wheel and oh my god those weapons are absolutely dreadful. Its like every time I did a full combo on anything it would have literally have 1HP left. It was absolutely maddening. It also doesn't help those weapons are slower than dick and have really limited move sets. I found myself using the Kirk Hammers long sword most of the time.

If Henryk kills Eileen, is there anything of importance I've lost? On another run and it's happened again. Her outfit is in the shop, I guess you lose a gesture or two (meh, I don't have PSN any way so never use them) and can't fight that asshole in Amelia's boss room. Anything else?

I don't know why but I'm having a worse time keeping her alive now than when I first started playing and I always go there from the Cathedral Ward so I can get a free sneaky backstab on him and Eileen isn't there immediately but I still have trouble keeping her alive. Hmph.

myco666

Just got done an Executioner cosplay build play through were I used the Kirk Hammer and Logarius' Wheel and oh my god those weapons are absolutely dreadful. Its like every time I did a full combo on anything it would have literally have 1HP left. It was absolutely maddening. It also doesn't help those weapons are slower than dick and have really limited move sets. I found myself using the Kirk Hammers long sword most of the time.

Don't talk shit about best weapons in the game. Logarious' Wheel 4 lyfe bro. Only problem with those is the low visceral damage as you really can't put points in Skill.

If Henryk kills Eileen, is there anything of importance I've lost? On another run and it's happened again. Her outfit is in the shop, I guess you lose a gesture or two (meh, I don't have PSN any way so never use them) and can't fight that asshole in Amelia's boss room. Anything else?

I don't know why but I'm having a worse time keeping her alive now than when I first started playing and I always go there from the Cathedral Ward so I can get a free sneaky backstab on him and Eileen isn't there immediately but I still have trouble keeping her alive. Hmph.

Only Hunters covenant. It has a decent rune but not something you absolutely need.

I tried summoning a friend for chalice dungeon help, but nothing happened. Can anyone write me step by step HOW TO GET HELP in DUNGEONS, thanks.

Nazo

Don't talk shit about best weapons in the game. Logarious' Wheel 4 lyfe bro. Only problem with those is the low visceral damage as you really can't put points in Skill.

Only Hunters covenant. It has a decent rune but not something you absolutely need.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. They were really just too slow for my play style. The damage problem I had was probably because the game really fucked me when it came to blood gems during that run. You are however absolutely right about the visceral attacks though, they have no right doing that little damage.

cheesekao

I tried summoning a friend for chalice dungeon help, but nothing happened. Can anyone write me step by step HOW TO GET HELP in DUNGEONS, thanks.
Press square at the chalice floor selection menu and set the pricacy setting to open. Give your friend the chalice code so that you can re summon him quickly if you die. Using the short root ritual chalice takes some time. Both of you have to ring at the same lamp or it will take longer to match you two up.

If that fails then it's because the Bloodborne servers decided to say "lol fuck you".

myco666

Different strokes for different folks I guess. They were really just too slow for my play style. The damage problem I had was probably because the game really fucked me when it came to blood gems during that run. You are however absolutely right about the visceral attacks though, they have no right doing that little damage.

I love slow and hard hitting weapons and Logarious Wheel has the highest damage per strike in the game. Also it is so dumb weapon. Seriously it is just a wheel you smack around.

Press square at the chalice floor selection menu and set the pricacy setting to open. Give your friend the chalice code so that you can re summon him quickly if you die. Using the short root ritual chalice takes some time. Both of you have to ring at the same lamp or it will take longer to match you two up.

If that fails then it's because the Bloodborne servers decided to say "lol fuck you".

we did everything as writen, still nothing.

cheesekao

we did everything as writen, still nothing.
Can you see his white phantom standing at the lamp?

Also, have you tried asking your friend to use the short root ritual chalice? Make sure your network setting is set to worldwide and you both have the same password and stand at the hallway after the elevator and before lamp. If you're on the first floor then stand between the first and second lamp.

Also, if any of you have put your ps4 to sleep mode while bb is running, close and restart the game.

myco666

Nazo

I love slow and hard hitting weapons and Logarious Wheel has the highest damage per strike in the game. Also it is so dumb weapon. Seriously it is just a wheel you smack around.

I actually don't mind the slow weapons in the souls series. I adore Ludwig's Holy Blade and other similar great swords but I've always struggled with the hammer type weapons. They're like half a second too slow for me and it really fucks up my timing in combat. I do agree Kirk Hammer and Logarious Wheel are super cool and feel amazing to swing around. Really the whole reason why I even bothered using them.

Yeah it is rather clear reference though there was someone who posted a wiki article on a actual historical weapon that is basically a wheel so it might also be a just historical reference. There is so much Berserk references so it is more likely to be a Berserk reference.
Even the Beast Possessed Soul came out of Bloodborne, only thing it lacked was the snake penis.

silva1991

When does Iosefka make her exit? Is it after she offers to take people in or is that the fake one?

Right after she stops giving you Iosefka blood, if drink around 10 iosefka bottles and talk to her everytime you need one, she is pretty friendly and hope you survive the night, She disappears when the imposter asks you to bring people to the clinic and stops giving you Iosefka bottles.

I prefer quality over quantity, you can fully upgrade to +9 around 3 o 4 weapons per run unless you grind the chalices for materials which I wont do since I beated the game a lot of times. Maybe a Merchant who requires less insight to buy upgrade material would be useful

Man, Amygdala is a good case of a boss that looks more initimidating than it actually is. Just a case of waiting for it to do downward strikes then punishing those moves with strikes to the head or limbs. One of the easiest bosses in the game so far. Slow, easily choreographed attacks, and easy to out-range.

Right after she stops giving you Iosefka blood, if drink around 10 iosefka bottles and talk to her everytime you need one, she is pretty friendly and hope you survive the night, She disappears when the imposter asks you to bring people to the clinic and stops giving you Iosefka bottles.
I guess this is what I get for never talking to her that much or using her blood vials.

myco666

Even the Beast Possessed Soul came out of Bloodborne, only thing it lacked was the snake penis.

Pretty much yeah haha.

I prefer quality over quantity, you can fully upgrade to +9 around 3 o 4 weapons per run unless you grind the chalices for materials which I wont do since I beated the game a lot of times. Maybe a Merchant who requires less insight to buy upgrade material would be useful

I would assume that they include bunch of chunks in the DLC so that there wouldn't be need to buy them for new weapons. I highly doubt that there would be new merchant but I would like to unlock them to regural bath messengers so that you could use echoes to buy them.

Can you see his white phantom standing at the lamp?

Also, have you tried asking your friend to use the short root ritual chalice? Make sure your network setting is set to worldwide and you both have the same password and stand at the hallway after the elevator and before lamp. If you're on the first floor then stand between the first and second lamp.

Also, if any of you have put your ps4 to sleep mode while bb is running, close and restart the game.

when helping in this way, do we both need to restart chalice or it doesn't matter?

Man, Amygdala is a good case of a boss that looks more initimidating than it actually is. Just a case of waiting for it to do downward strikes then punishing those moves with strikes to the head or limbs. One of the easiest bosses in the game so far. Slow, easily choreographed attacks, and easy to out-range.

Even easier if you have a bloodtinge build

Repeating Pistol with bone marrow ash to the face.... how is this a boss

They made the chalice version a damn damage sponge to compensate i guess

cheesekao

when helping in this way, do we both need to restart chalice or it doesn't matter?
The host needs to be in the chalice(follow the positioning instructions in my post) and your friend has to be in the hunters dream. Your friend has to buy the short root ritual chalice from one of the shops if he doesn't already have it and use it at the makeshift altar.

Do note that if you see a cross sign on the bell sign below your hp, that means you can't summon in that area.

I would assume that they include bunch of chunks in the DLC so that there wouldn't be need to buy them for new weapons. I highly doubt that there would be new merchant but I would like to unlock them to regural bath messengers so that you could use echoes to buy them.
They make chunks such a pain to get in the main game.

I would assume this is because the low amount of weapons. If they were easy to come by you would have all weapons at +9 really fast making it useless to even have a upgrades for weapons.

That and specific builds to use them, for the Chikage you need like 45 in bloodtinge to see its damage, the cannon that use 40 str (I think) and Magic that use 50 arcane for the best spell

oh boy, wait until the chalice dungeon version.

I would assume this is because the low amount of weapons. If they were easy to come by you would have all weapons at +9 really fast making it useless to even have a upgrades for weapons.
What the hell even are the best weapons for a skill/arcane character? I have LHB and the Cane at +5 and I just leveled up the Tonitrus to +3.

What the hell even are the best weapons for a skill/arcane character? I have LHB and the Cane at +5 and I just leveled up the Tonitrus to +3.

I'm doing a skill/arcane for the first time now, and like you I'm also wondering what the ideal weapons are. I noticed my BoM does better damage in the chalices (up to depth 3 right now) than my LHB, both a +7. Even with the appropriate gems to scale off, the Ludwig don't do that much damage when skill and arcane are about the same. Of course the 2H version of LHB is much more appropriate in some situations considering the short reach of the blades of mercy. It seems a combination of those two aren't that bad.

wiibomb

Don't assume that is true for everyone...

I suffered a great deal with that boss, in fact, no other boss had killed me more than Amy, Vicar Amelia was close and even then I killed her on the second time when I came to NG+, Amy on the other hand killed me a ton of times, I had to even quit for some days before returning

myco666

I guess Cane and BoM by looking at wikis. Never done that build so can't really say. Tonitrus is more of a Str/Arc though and LHB is either 'quality' weapon or straight up Arcane as I don't think it gets any Arcane boost unless you convert it to do Arcane damage. Not sure though.

Some videos of slaughtering prey

Rom
The One Reborn (probably the most clutchest fight I've ever had)
Micholash (NG++) + Mensis 'speedrun'

I'm expecting boss of each major monsters type in the expansion

1- beast: the ugly beast in the trailer
2- a dark beast type like Paarl and abhorrent beast.
3- a hunter like Father G and Gehrman.
4- an old one!

I'm hoping that fire cleric beast is just a mini boss.

Amazing!
Shiieeet. You just made me realize how much I want an excellent Dark Beast boss. I just love the design of the Darkbeasts (Lightning is awesome) and the Abhorrent Beast is one of my favorite boss fights in the game. I hope From goes all out in boss battles.

silva1991

Shiieeet. You just made me realize how much I want an excellent Dark Beast boss. I just love the design of the Darkbeasts (Lightning is awesome) and the Abhorrent Beast is one of my favorite boss fights in the game. I hope From goes all out in boss battles.

Paarl is easily one of the best souls bosses in term of design.I NEED more dark beasts.

also is the watch dog considered a beast? or is it a demon?

I guess Cane and BoM by looking at wikis. Never done that build so can't really say. Tonitrus is more of a Str/Arc though and LHB is either 'quality' weapon or straight up Arcane as I don't think it gets any Arcane boost unless you convert it to do Arcane damage. Not sure though.]

Yeah, LHB only scales off arcane with the appropriate gems. Fortunately it has a waning gem slot, which I believe both the BoM and the cane don't have? So you can use some good fire and bolt gems that scale off arcane. I think it LHB does higher AR on a quality build, rather than in arcane, but it still seems like a useful weapon when going for that type of build.

I'm also enjoying playing around with the hunter tools which I never did before. Love the old hunter's bone, though it cost a bit much, augur of ebrietas helped me a lot fighting other hunters (knocking them down), and the executioner's gloves does good damage too. It's a shame they cost QBs since those are so precious as is.

Manu

Guys, I just reached New Yharnam on my new character and I'm finding the pimp cane to very inconsistent about how much damage it does. Did you use a second weapon as backup or should I push on with the cane alone?

Guys, I just reached New Yharnam on my new character and I'm finding the pimp cane to very inconsistent about how much damage it does. Did you use a second weapon as backup or should I push on with the cane alone?

Use your pistol for visceral attacks since visceral scales with Skill and Str, the TC have no burst of damage so maybe thats why you find it inconsistent but deal more consistent damage in long term.

Ghazi

That explains why it was breaking every five seconds, I kept an eye on the durability after buffing and didn't see it go down so I didn't think it mattered.

I guess Cane and BoM by looking at wikis. Never done that build so can't really say. Tonitrus is more of a Str/Arc though and LHB is either 'quality' weapon or straight up Arcane as I don't think it gets any Arcane boost unless you convert it to do Arcane damage. Not sure though.

Some videos of slaughtering prey

Rom
The One Reborn (probably the most clutchest fight I've ever had)
Micholash + Mensis 'speedrun'
I guess this is going to be one weird ass build then cause skill is 23, str is about 18, arc is 18 as well. Tonitrus does some decent damage at just +3 when I buff it, tore through Hypogean Gaol just testing the thing out. LHB has been a good fall back weapon and so has the Cane, just seems to be I use a weapon based on situation.

Manu

Also, Gascoigne down on my first try. Turns out the cane also works to hit him through the graves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ixgb7Za0E&feature=youtu.be

Then I rang my bell and helped someone kill Gascoigne in their game too. I had never tried coop before (I mean, I tried back when the game came out but it didn't work back then.) Is there any benefit to coop in this game? We killed the boss, I got 2000 echoes... and that was it.

I'm seeing a lot more active players too. Dat expansion hype.

myco666

I guess this is going to be one weird ass build then cause skill is 23, str is about 18, arc is 18 as well. Tonitrus does some decent damage at just +3 when I buff it, tore through Hypogean Gaol just testing the thing out. LHB has been a good fall back weapon and so has the Cane, just seems to be I use a weapon based on situation.

That build sounds like a mess to be honest haha. Those weapons are decent at that point though with any build as the the scaling bonuses are around 20-30 points. You're doing it for the DLC though? It might be viable with the new weapons.

Also, Gascoigne down on my first try. Turns out the cane also works to hit him through the graves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ixgb7Za0E&feature=youtu.be

Then I rang my bell and helped someone kill Gascoigne in their game too. I had never tried coop before (I mean, I tried back when the game came out but it didn't work back then.) Is there any benefit to coop in this game? We killed the boss, I got 2000 echoes... and that was it.

I'm seeing a lot more active players too. Dat expansion hype.

You also get 1 insight for defeating a boss in coop. The benefits aren't that big but it is easy and fun way to farm echoes.

Top Bottom