• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

wiibomb

Everyone talks about the watchdog like he's harder than O&S, which has me terrified.

I think I'll do the DLC first and then come back and do defiled.

judging by the DLC and how everyone seems to be telling that the DLC is the hardest of all bloodborne, may be you might want to reconsider and do the defiled as a training

EDIT: you haven't seen true hell until you see that damn dog

Everyone talks about the watchdog like he's harder than O&S, which has me terrified.

I found Defiled Amygdala way harder. I've fought the dog enough timessage to know his pattern decently and the threaded cane makes him a lot easier in my opinion.

Speaking of Arcane builds, why did nobody tell me how hilariously overpowered Augur of Ebrietas is? I just started using it on my arcane/skill char, and I know the parry thing was added this patch, but that's just the cherry on top of a wedding cake of ownage. It takes only one bullet, zero stamina (in fact you regenerate stamina all through its animation), knocks down most normal enemies (and some bosses), does huge damage... how does it not break the game? Simply doing your normal combo until you run out of stamina, then Augur to give you breathing space while you regen, you can kill a lot of enemies mindlessly, again including some bosses. The fact that if they try to hit you in between, they'll probably eat a parry/visceral now, seems like overkill.

Have any of its properties been tweaked with the last patch aside from the parry? Was it always this good?

Dog is harder due your Hunter having half of your current health but the boss is quite easy.

judging by the DLC and how everyone seems to be telling that the DLC is the hardest of all bloodborne, may be you might want to reconsider and do the defiled as a training

EDIT: you haven't seen true hell until you see that damn dog

Not really harder in difficulty but harder since you have to figure out the enemies new patterns

I'm guessing they mean outside of chalice dungeons, because if they put content in a NG run that is harder than later 4/5 chalces, that kind of breaks the progression.

On the other hand if you're already on NG+ it might be harder still. I guess I'll see soon, fortunately I have characters on both NG and NG+.

Will you coop with me if I get stuck more than 30-ish times? Lol.
I should hopefully have that dungeon still available to me unless the game closed it down. If so I'll help, if not well, the first boss is easy as shit any way so I should be able to cake walk most of it. I'll probably be scaled down to your level though since she's 177 currently.

BumRush

I should hopefully have that dungeon still available to me unless the game closed it down. If so I'll help, if not well, the first boss is easy as shit any way so I should be able to cake walk most of it. I'll probably be scaled down to your level though since she's 177 currently.

Thanks bud, I'll let you know if / when I need help

Veelk

Banned
First time player here.

I've been playing for 3-5 hours, and I've been mostly hanging around Central Ygarham or whatever it's called.

I feel like I'm stuck between the parts of where this game is just starting out and where this game gets really fun. Starting out was okay, as I was learning the ropes and not minding that it was taking me a while to get a grip on wtf I was doing. Now I feel I have somewhat of a handle, but not enough of one to stride in confidently like a badass. I can take out the various hunters and the giant dudes and dogs fairly easily. However, I recently beat the Cleric Beast. There are werewolves outside on the bridge that I have difficulty beating consistently. I could handle one of them okay, but the moment I dodge the attacks of one, the other bites my ass. There's also a dude pacing back and forth with an axe that I want to kill, but nothing I do seems to do enough damage and I can't get dodge his attacks. The only thing I can think to do is either grind the everloving fuck out of my character, or try to face Father Gri-something. I found him once and he slapped my ass back to the spawn point in quick order. I don't think I improved enough to face him down, but I felt hte same about the cleric beast when I killed him, so...

I guess I'm not sure whether to proceed or just grind for however long it takes to get to higher levels. I'm already at 18 now. I mostly upgraded Skill and a little Vitality. Should I focus on something else or just go face the Father right there.

mstevens

So I'm right before the last last boss and I have a question. How hard is it to find help for chalice dungeons? I haven't used the co op system yet but the defiled chalice dungeon looming in the distance has me shook. Will I be able to find help if I run into a brick wall? How does that work?

Really glad I got the game by the way... Was on the fence and I absolutely love it.

First time player here.

I've been playing for 3-5 hours, and I've been mostly hanging around Central Ygarham or whatever it's called.

I feel like I'm stuck between the parts of where this game is just starting out and where this game gets really fun. Starting out was okay, as I was learning the ropes and not minding that it was taking me a while to get a grip on wtf I was doing. Now I feel I have somewhat of a handle, but not enough of one to stride in confidently like a badass. I can take out the various hunters and the giant dudes and dogs fairly easily. However, I recently beat the Cleric Beast. There are werewolves outside on the bridge that I have difficulty beating consistently. I could handle one of them okay, but the moment I dodge the attacks of one, the other bites my ass. There's also a dude pacing back and forth with an axe that I want to kill, but nothing I do seems to do enough damage and I can't get dodge his attacks. The only thing I can think to do is either grind the everloving fuck out of my character, or try to face Father Gri-something. I found him once and he slapped my ass back to the spawn point in quick order. I don't think I improved enough to face him down, but I felt hte same about the cleric beast when I killed him, so...

I guess I'm not sure whether to proceed or just grind for however long it takes to get to higher levels. I'm already at 18 now. I mostly upgraded Skill and a little Vitality. Should I focus on something else or just go face the Father right there.
Don't grind, Soulsborne isn't a grindy series at all in terms of getting your level up.

Father Gascoigne shouldn't give you too much trouble if you have a +2 or +3 weapon (you are upgrading your weapon right?). If you want to do any 'grinding' I suggest farming bloodshards - the wolfmen type enemies leading into the sewers drop them and they're easy to parry and kill in one hit - I usually do a couple of runs of them to get a +2 weapon before Gascoigne. With the souls you get from doing that upgrade your weapon and level up a few times or buy vials and bullets.

In the actual Gascoigne fight you can make it easier on yourself by cheesing him through the gravestones, do a little dance with him around a clump of them, when he makes his way around to your side just run around the otherside and continue. For the second phase bust out the music box to stun him at the beginning and use oil urns and firebombs to finish him off.

The other enemies you're having trouble with - the wolves can be cheesed too as they can't fit through the doorway that's just before where they are, so lead them down there and do charge attacks as they get stuck trying to fit through the door! Or throw a pebble at one to get just that one and dodge forward through their attacks (forward and left/right of them) and as they recover do a charged attack to then get a backstab. This tactic is bread and butter for Bloodborne and works with a lot of enemies and even some bosses.

The axe guy can be tough until you learn his moveset, the best way to take him on is really to parry him, but it took me a while to get the hang of his moveset, so you can also just bait attacks like the two-handed chop/smash or the leaping attack and dodge them, then... go for the backstab!

Good luck!

RiggyRob

Argh, my YouTube channel's disappeared! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though, I've never uploaded any videos to it, the Bloodborne boss fights would be the first ones.

Does anyone know if I can re-enable my old channel, or is it gone for good? I suppose I could try to create a channel with the same URL as my previous one or maybe a slightly different URL, I'm just hoping to avoid any unnecessary hassle.

Asking here cause the DLC OT is moving at a pretty slick pace with all the WHOA and FUCK
<spoiler>
posts.

myco666

That's the one. Keep me updated, can't wait to jump in tomorrow!

Just tested
MLGS
in Mensis. Feels pretty great even at +8. Don't know what kind of gems you should slot into it though but it has good damage potential.

edit.
Just 'beat' the DLC. Really fantastic stuff and it sure gets harder the further you go. That last boss gave me alot of trouble. There is also one optional boss that Dawg and others have talked about taking high amount of tries and it killed my character at 30 Vit on NG with one hit. Basically Defiled Chalice all over again.

myco666

Fourth boss of the DLC.

Argh, my YouTube channel's disappeared! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though, I've never uploaded any videos to it, the Bloodborne boss fights would be the first ones.

Does anyone know if I can re-enable my old channel, or is it gone for good? I suppose I could try to create a channel with the same URL as my previous one or maybe a slightly different URL, I'm just hoping to avoid any unnecessary hassle.

Asking here cause the DLC OT is moving at a pretty slick pace with all the WHOA and FUCK
<spoiler>
posts.

Weird. Just log in to Youtube and start a new channel. Is there a reason why you would want the same URL?

DLC OT is sure moving fast but considering the content of the DLC I am not surprised. It has bunch of 'holy shit' and 'fuck this' moments.

RiggyRob

Fourth boss of the DLC.

Weird. Just log in to Youtube and start a new channel. Is there a reason why you would want the same URL?

DLC OT is sure moving fast but considering the content of the DLC I am not surprised. It has bunch of 'holy shit' and 'fuck this' moments.

Not really, I just had it set up so I wouldn't have to do it again, but it looks like I'll have to now anyway.

No worries, I play like 1-2 hours a week.
I'm usually on Tuesday and Thursday nights depending on how much time I have around 7-8ish. Friday nights at weird hours and Saturday mornings at weird hours. I have a really weird schedule to play around. Having an active relationship doesn't exactly help either lol.

mstevens

So I'm around level 105 now and level stat increases are moving really slow now. Is there really a noticeable difference between say level 130 and 105, or should I just spend my echoes on items?

I guess what I'm asking is is there any use to grinding more levels if I get stuck on a chalice boss, or will it not really make any noticeable difference? Did you notice things being easier later into the hundreds?

So I'm around level 105 now and level stat increases are moving really slow now. Is there really a noticeable difference between say level 130 and 105, or should I just spend my echoes on items?

I guess what I'm asking is is there any use to grinding more levels if I get stuck on a chalice boss, or will it not really make any noticeable difference? Did you notice things being easier later into the hundreds?
I cake walked the first two bosses at level 177 on NG++ so yeah levels do make a bit of a difference as long as they're relevant stats and not going to something you really don't need. You also have to pay attention to the damage output of your gems and weapon scaling. I think you're just approaching some of the soft caps on your stats so you're not seeing as much benefit to them as you used to, but it still does pay to put points into those stats.

mstevens

Yeah I'm str based so I have 50 vitality and 40 str. Thinking about bringing endurance up to 40 and then pumping vit/str, just wasnt sure if the gains would be noticeable.

Jesus, GOTY only for the DLC alone, Dukes archives, Brightown lower and upper section, Anor Londo rooftops and
fishman

The DLC keeps delivering

Yeah I'm str based so I have 50 vitality and 40 str. Thinking about bringing endurance up to 40 and then pumping vit/str, just wasnt sure if the gains would be noticeable.
Use a weapon with A or S scaling and that shit gets noticeable. Grind the chalices for some really good gems and it gets really noticeable.

Veelk

Banned
Don't grind, Soulsborne isn't a grindy series at all in terms of getting your level up.

Father Gascoigne shouldn't give you too much trouble if you have a +2 or +3 weapon (you are upgrading your weapon right?). If you want to do any 'grinding' I suggest farming bloodshards - the wolfmen type enemies leading into the sewers drop them and they're easy to parry and kill in one hit - I usually do a couple of runs of them to get a +2 weapon before Gascoigne. With the souls you get from doing that upgrade your weapon and level up a few times or buy vials and bullets.

Um...how do I do that? I've only been able to upgrade my character stats. Also, how do I parry exactly. I've never found a note explaining it.

In the actual Gascoigne fight you can make it easier on yourself by cheesing him through the gravestones, do a little dance with him around a clump of them, when he makes his way around to your side just run around the otherside and continue. For the second phase bust out the music box to stun him at the beginning and use oil urns and firebombs to finish him off.

What music box?

The axe guy can be tough until you learn his moveset, the best way to take him on is really to parry him, but it took me a while to get the hang of his moveset, so you can also just bait attacks like the two-handed chop/smash or the leaping attack and dodge them, then... go for the backstab!

How do you deal with that super wide horizontal swing he has?

Um...how do I do that? I've only been able to upgrade my character stats. Also, how do I parry exactly. I've never found a note explaining it.

What music box?

How do you deal with that super wide horizontal swing he has?
Oh god you started this...have fun. How much level exploring have you really done before finding Gascoigne? Cause if you just stumpled upon him without finding some bloodstone shards and unlocking some short cuts and finding the better armor sets you might want to start doing that first. You level up your weapons in the hunters dream at the table that right next to the old dude in a wheelchair. You parry by shooting him right before he attacks to stagger him, pump points into skill if you want that damage to get stronger. You can also cheese Father G by hitting him through the tomb stones if you're using a long enough weapon, bring molotov's and time your throws right as well. You find the music box by talking to a little girl, you can usually hear it being played once you get to a certain area. Can be found by exploring the sewers cause you have to go up a ladder to find the girls location. The music box can only be used once to stagger him though, cause I swear to god they patched that in the game at some point.

ezekial45

Banned
I've been playing my first run of the game off an on for the last few months, and I'm trying to power through to get to the DLC content. The Blood Moon is already in play, and I'm having a hell of a time with the enemies so far. I'm LVL 47, and it's been kind of a challenge. I know The One Reborn is the next boss coming up, but I was thinking of taking a detour and heading to the Cainhurst Castle to get some of the gear there.

I didn't know that I could've gone before beating Rom, but I'm kinda worried now it'll be too tough with the Blood Moon present. Should I head over there now, or just power through with the next boss.

I've been playing my first run of the game off an on for the last few months, and I'm trying to power through to get to the DLC content. The Blood Moon is already in play, and I'm having a hell of a time with the enemies so far. I'm LVL 47, and it's been kind of a challenge. I know The One Reborn is the next boss coming up, but I was thinking of taking a detour and heading to the Cainhurst Castle to get some of the gear there.

I didn't know that I could've gone before beating Rom, but I'm kinda worried now it'll be too tough with the Blood Moon present. Should I head over there now, or just power through with the next boss.
Difficulty stays the same regardless of moon phase. It's not too hard in there just avoid the leaping creatures running around in the beginning cause they hit hard. Logarius will be really hard at that level though. You might want to supplement your leveling up by hitting some of the chalice dungeons.

myco666

Difficulty stays the same regardless of moon phase. It's not too hard in there just avoid the leaping creatures running around in the beginning cause they hit hard. Logarius will be really hard at that level though. You might want to supplement your leveling up by hitting some of the chalice dungeons.

Those 'leaping creatures' are weirdly hard compared to other enemies in Cainhurst. I don't even remember when was the last time I engaged them especially since I do Cainhurst early usually.

I just fought the Celestial Emissary on my current character and accidently threw a pebble at him which either a) made him fall to his knees and stun him immediately or b) he did that exactly at that moment due to something else completely unrelated to the pebble. ??? Profit?

Also I never really looked properly at this area in Yarhagul but just had to stand there and soak in a moment at another example of awesome From Software design....

bb20151124165440syrv5.jpg

BumRush

I'm usually on Tuesday and Thursday nights depending on how much time I have around 7-8ish. Friday nights at weird hours and Saturday mornings at weird hours. I have a really weird schedule to play around. Having an active relationship doesn't exactly help either lol.

Trust me...as a married dad I know all about it!

How are you liking the DLC so far?

Those 'leaping creatures' are weirdly hard compared to other enemies in Cainhurst. I don't even remember when was the last time I engaged them especially since I do Cainhurst early usually.
I never fight those things. Whenever I usually plan when I visceral something in the chalice dungeons just leave that shit for the end marker enemy. Usually once I know that one of those things are going to pop up I usually just nope my way out using a BHM and just continue on with the rest of the dungeon, fuck those things.
Trust me...as a married dad I know all about it!

How are you liking the DLC so far?
No idea, can't play till later today if I'm lucky.

I just fought the Celestial Emissary on my current character and accidently threw a pebble at him which either a) made him fall to his knees and stun him immediately or b) he did that exactly at that moment due to something else completely unrelated to the pebble. ??? Profit?

LOL, I need to try this

Just started the DLC. It's so beautiful :') My different builds that I thought would be overpowered are definitely not, so that's good I guess. I'm getting wrecked by the first boss on my BT build, but the road there was amazing

myco666

Also I never really looked properly at this area in Yarhagul but just had to stand there and soak in a moment at another example of awesome From Software design....

Yahar'Gul art direction is pretty insane and I love it. That shit is all over the walls.

I never fight those things. Whenever I usually plan when I visceral something in the chalice dungeons just leave that shit for the end marker enemy. Usually once I know that one of those things are going to pop up I usually just nope my way out using a BHM and just continue on with the rest of the dungeon, fuck those things.

No idea, can't play till later today if I'm lucky.

Haha they aren't that bad but yeah I understand.

Yahar'Gul art direction is pretty insane and I love it. That shit is all over the walls.

Haha they aren't that bad but yeah I understand.
When you have like 60,000 echoes or some shit why even take the chance. Yahargul is just flat out creepy, both areas of it. "We're out of brick texture." "Well why don't you just stick creepy faces all over the god damn place?"

Veelk

Banned
Oh god you started this...have fun. How much level exploring have you really done before finding Gascoigne? Cause if you just stumpled upon him without finding some bloodstone shards and unlocking some short cuts and finding the better armor sets you might want to start doing that first. You level up your weapons in the hunters dream at the table that right next to the old dude in a wheelchair. You parry by shooting him right before he attacks to stagger him, pump points into skill if you want that damage to get stronger. You can also cheese Father G by hitting him through the tomb stones if you're using a long enough weapon, bring molotov's and time your throws right as well. You find the music box by talking to a little girl, you can usually hear it being played once you get to a certain area. Can be found by exploring the sewers cause you have to go up a ladder to find the girls location. The music box can only be used once to stagger him though, cause I swear to god they patched that in the game at some point.

I think I found everything there is to find in my area except that music box. I'll look up where to find it because Gascoigne wrecked my shit just now. Well, actually, I was doing fine against him until he decided to go werewolf on me. After that, I had no understanding of how I should dodge his attacks and he ate me alive.

I think the major thing I don't like about the game is that it makes you lose your souls if you die between the safe points. As a result, the difficulty isn't necessarily the viciousness of the enemies themselves, but the danger in losing your progress. Sometimes, you just get into a bad fight for one reason or another. For example, I just lost 2000 blood echoes to Gascoigne. Fine, I just have to make it over to him. Except I happened to lose to the 2 giant brick guys lurking outside central yharnam because I got trapped in a corner where I couldn't dodge. Now the 2000 BE's are permanently lost. That's less difficult than it is just frustrating to me.

myco666

I think I found everything there is to find in my area except that music box. I'll look up where to find it because Gascoigne wrecked my shit just now. Well, actually, I was doing fine against him until he decided to go werewolf on me. After that, I had no understanding of how I should dodge his attacks and he ate me alive.

I think the major thing I don't like about the game is that it makes you lose your souls if you die between the safe points. As a result, the difficulty isn't necessarily the viciousness of the enemies themselves, but the danger in losing your progress. Sometimes, you just get into a bad fight for one reason or another. For example, I just lost 2000 blood echoes to Gascoigne. Fine, I just have to make it over to him. Except I happened to lose to the 2 giant brick guys lurking outside central yharnam because I got trapped in a corner where I couldn't dodge. Now the 2000 BE's are permanently lost. That's less difficult than it is just frustrating to me.

To find the music box you need to talk to people. Knock on doors and go near windows that have a red lamp next to them.

Okay I understand that losing Echoes permanently is frustrating at start but you just need to 'let it go'. You will get so much echoes in the game that it really doesn't matter if you lose some. Losing echoes isn't losing progression unless you are farming for specific thing. One good thing to do is always spend echoes on levels or vials when you are going for boss. No need to carry them to a place where you put them in danger.

edit.
What I consider progression in this game and Souls series is learning enemy layouts and enemy behavior. That really helps going through Yharnam and also links to good skill to learn that is 'running to boss without engaging any enemy'.

myco666

When you have like 60,000 echoes or some shit why even take the chance. Yahargul is just flat out creepy, both areas of it. "We're out of brick texture." "Well why don't you just stick creepy faces all over the god damn place?"

Ehh... I've lost a lot more so many times that I don't really care about echoes at all anymore haha. Yahar'gul is creepy when you first get there and next time you get there it is also creepy but in very different way. Seriously I would like to say I love the area but when I think about it I love every single area in the game and it feels really stupid to say it everytime I talk about how locations look etc.

Ehh... I've lost a lot more so many times that I don't really care about echoes at all anymore haha. Yahar'gul is creepy when you first get there and next time you get there it is also creepy but in very different way. Seriously I would like to say I love the area but when I think about it I love every single area in the game and it feels really stupid to say it everytime I talk about how locations look etc.
First version has that god damn music and statues of cthullu monstrosities all over the damn place. They don't praise the sun, they praise the sea gods over there. I honestly think you care less and less about levels the stronger your character gets. Once you get to a certain point you don't care till you're like in the 300K range.

In the beginning the experience points you gain through actual knowledge of the game is the most important thing actually. You die less and less as game goes on unless you just get fucked cause of something stupid like getting caught in a corner. You can run past them and they won't chase you into the elevator room just to let you know.

myco666

First version has that god damn music and statues of cthullu monstrosities all over the damn place. They don't praise the sun, they praise the sea gods over there. I honestly think you care less and less about levels the stronger your character gets. Once you get to a certain point you don't care till you're like in the 300K range.

It is pretty fucking great and I remember being freaked out the first time.

After you hit around level60 I start really not caring about levels as that point you get through the game rather easily already.

Top Bottom