• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Veelk

Banned
You need to go pretty deep into the lore if you want to see any connections so I would say that you can play them in any order you want.

Okay, I need to ask another question then. I mainly got interested in these games because I heard really good things about the lore. I am a geek for a well done mythos, and everything I hear about the souls games screams that's the case. I'm enjoying the gameplay as well, but the story and environments are why I'm really here.

So...should I just look up lore videos and get myself spoiled? Or is there something that comes with discovering the environments by yourself? I'll still play either way, but if I'm holding myself back for no reason, let me know.

myco666

Okay, I need to ask another question then. I mainly got interested in these games because I heard really good things about the lore. I am a geek for a well done mythos, and everything I hear about the souls games screams that's the case. I'm enjoying the gameplay as well, but the story and environments are why I'm really here.

So...should I just look up lore videos and get myself spoiled? Or is there something that comes with discovering the environments by yourself? I'll still play either way, but if I'm holding myself back for no reason, let me know.

I don't think they are that heavily connected that you should spoil the lore of 1 if you are going to do 2 first. 2 has mostly just minor references to 1 and it is still its own world. Also I don't think it would be wise to spoil yourself the lore before playing these games since it is part of the fun trying to piece together the stuff and talk about it with other ones.

I agree with 2. This is why I actually adore Bloodborne so much over Souls series and don't really even care that much Dark Souls 3
yeah sure like I am not going to buy overpriced collectors edition of it
. I would really like them to just use the base mechanics and add some new twists to it like what BB did and get some interesting new setting.

Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 are interconnected and Dark Souls 3 is connected to them also. Really hard to say how much at the moment but I would assume rather heavily.

Bloodborne, making people who dont like Dark Souls play Dark Souls

Would I be doing a disservice to the story if I went about dark souls out of order? Or is it important that I play 1 -> 2 -> 3?

Dark Souls 1 is not really connected to Dark Souls 2 but makes references about it, for Dark Souls 3 you only need to play Dark Soul 2 to get their idea of what are they going to do for Dark Souls 3.

You can Play Dark Souls 2 SotfS on the PS4, the game have some huge corrections on the lore for the incoming game so try it out if you can.

Dark Souls 1 lore tells you the base of the game but is kinda removed or omited in Dark Souls 2.

myco666

Bloodborne, making people who dont like Dark Souls play Dark Souls

I actually love Demon's Souls and really liked Dark Souls. However after Bloodborne came out I just don't care about them anymore. This is far better than any of the Souls games and they don't even come close.

B-Dex

Anyone with a character around 150-160 wanna help me in defiled chalice? Maybe.

Layer 2 Boss. I'm outside his door. RIP.

Dahbomb

You should be readin everything in the game and listening to every dialogue. This includes reading item descriptions as they are part of the lore as well. After you beat the game you can look at lore videos.

This refers to all the games.

Veelk

Banned
You should be readin everything in the game and listening to every dialogue. This includes reading item descriptions as they are part of the lore as well. After you beat the game you can look at lore videos.

This refers to all the games.

I'm trying. I do that with most games anyway. But it seems so much of the game's story is hidden that I could easily miss a whole bunch of it. I would have completely missed the Eileen thing if I hadn't been told about it. Some permanently if I do one quest before I do something else. So I'm fine with reading, but if looking up Lore on my own is just...easier and more convienent without taking too much out of the game, should I? If the story was more explicitly told, I would never be asking this, because then I am going to experience the storyline anyway. But if the game is making me dig for it and I could miss a bunch, why not just go where the information is already dug up? That's not a rhetorical question either, if there is something special to discovering this story on your own, I'll do that. But if not...

Dahbomb

You can consult an online guide if you want but once you do that you kinda have to go all the way in with using a guide.

At the very least use a guide to beat the optional bosses. Most of them are at least as good as main bosses. Plus they usually have their own areas.

Also the game 3 ending depending upon what you do.

Veelk

Banned
You can consult an online guide if you want but once you do that you kinda have to go all the way in with using a guide.

At the very least use a guide to beat the optional bosses. Most of them are at least as good as main bosses. Plus they usually have their own areas.

Also the game 3 ending depending upon what you do.

I'm not sure I understand what your getting at. I'm trying to decide to whether spoil myself on the lore of the story. I have no interest in looking at guides on how to beat enemies. I'd prefer to leave the actual gameplay to figure it out myself. I'm just wondering if I should spoil myself on the story so that I don't have to work too hard on trying to dig it up and risk missing stuff in the actual game.

Dahbomb

I'm not sure I understand what your getting at. I'm trying to decide to whether spoil myself on the lore of the story. I have no interest in looking at guides on how to beat enemies. I'd prefer to leave the actual gameplay to figure it out myself. I'm just wondering if I should spoil myself on the story so that I don't have to work too hard on trying to dig it up and miss stuff in the actual game.
No I meant using guides to get to the optional stuff in the game. Some of it is hard to get to without knowing what exactly to do.

Veelk

Banned
No I meant using guides to get to the optional stuff in the game. Some of it is hard to get to without knowing what exactly to do.

Well, yeah, I can do that, sure, but it doesn't answer the question I'm trying to ask here.

Is it practical to spoil myself on the Lore.

Dahbomb

Well, yeah, I can do that, sure, but it doesn't answer the question I'm trying to ask here.

I personally would play the game without reading up on lore and then read up on it after beating the game. Only thing I would use guides for is the optional content and maybe seeing stats on items/weapons for build purposes.

The Dark Souls 1 lore pretty much prepare you for everything since it covers the main base of the story, Dark Souls 2 lore doesnt add too much but expanded what Dark Souls 1 tried to said in the eyes of a different Developer, it digest the story into a more understandable manner for people who dont get it at first.

I highly recommend you to dive into the Dark Souls 1 lore.

Veelk - I would read up/watch videos on the lore after playing because they're going to be really spoilery, not just store-wise but also seeing bosses, areas, NPCs etc and a lot of the fun of Souls is exploring and discovering them for yourself.

Would also highly recommend, if you can, either playing the Souls games in order of release or at least Dark Souls 1 before 2 - not for lore or story specifically because 2 really only makes slight references to the first game (it's set eons after) but just gameplay-wise.

mstevens

Man.. Super frustrated. I just got the last weapon and the trophy didn't pop. I have all in my inventory currently except torch, hunters torch and shield... I sold those when I picked them up because someone said it wouldn't affect the trophy. I know I did because they aren't where they would be in the game. Those don't show up In the store.

Looks like I'm shit out of luck for the platinum.

Dahbomb

Man.. Super frustrated. I just got the last weapon and the trophy didn't pop. I have all in my inventory currently except torch, hunters torch and shield... I sold those when I picked them up because someone said it wouldn't affect the trophy. I know I did because they aren't where they would be in the game. Those don't show up In the store.

Looks like I'm shit out of luck for the platinum.
Just buy the original 5 weapons again (the Blunderbuss, Pistol, Axe, Cleaver and Cane). There was some bug that prevented it but buying those weapons against should give you the Platinum assuming you got all the other weapons.

mstevens

Just buy the original 5 weapons again (the Blunderbuss, Pistol, Axe, Cleaver and Cane). There was some bug that prevented it but buying those weapons against should give you the Platinum assuming you got all the other weapons.

Tried that already. Might have to try getting the torch, hunters torch and wooden shield in new game +. I've doubled checked that I have everything else 3 times.

Edit: I know it's the hunters torch now because it should be buy able after you find it but it's not in the shop. But I know I picked it up because it's not there.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, let me re-emphasize - I do NOT like how the blood echoes systems work. Not at ALL.

I just lost 10,000 souls. I was planning on using them, but I ran into a more than usually powerful enemy. I got killed and tried to recover them. However, I got killed again. I remember hearing there was some kind of item in the Souls games that prevented you from complete souls loss. Is there such an item here?

Look, I get why it's there as a mechanic. It's a ever lengthening engage-fear system. The longer you play, the more souls you accrue. The more souls you accrue, the more you have to lose. The more you have to lose, the more fearful you are to progress. But the only thing to do at all is progress. That's the basis of survival horror, and this is a strong survival horror element. Except I never liked this in my games. I'm not arguing it's cheap or unfair or anything. It's just nerve wracking and just really disheartening when you lose your progress. I don't feel this adds to my gameplay experience, or not anything positive in any case. I don't feel more successful when I get through a section than I do in other games, just more disencouragement when I fail. I'm willing to tolerate it with certain games, bloodborne included, but it's not something I want to deal with if I can avoid it in any way.

Okay, let me re-emphasize - I do NOT like how the blood echoes systems work. Not at ALL.

I just lost 10,000 souls. I was planning on using them, but I ran into a more than usually powerful enemy. I got killed and tried to recover them. However, I got killed again. I remember hearing there was some kind of item in the Souls games that prevented you from complete souls loss. Is there such an item here?

Look, I get why it's there as a mechanic. It's a ever lengthening engage-fear system. The longer you play, the more souls you accrue. The more souls you accrue, the more you have to lose. The more you have to lose, the more fearful you are to progress. But the only thing to do at all is progress. That's the basis of survival horror, and this is a strong survival horror element. Except I never liked this in my games. I'm not arguing it's cheap or unfair or anything. It's just nerve wracking and I don't feel it adds a positive element to my gameplay experience. I don't like fearing for my life very much, though I'm willing to tolerate it with certain games, bloodborne included.
Think of it as a teething process. The beginning of the game is a bit of a pain in the ass I'll admit that much. It doesn't get more tolerable till you're more acclimated to everything and have your stats and weapon upgrades padded out a bit. Then again, this is your first time through the game. I already know what to expect, you don't and don't bother with the DLC till you're almost done with the game cause that shit is fucking hard. I didn't even bother with it. I just went through some chalice dungeons to get stronger and get better gems and the next time I play I'm still not heading into the DLC, will just do more dungeons and then hit an optional area that I've been neglecting so I can get further stronger and then possibly hit the DLC, and that's if I choose to not do more of the main game. Running away from some troll thing with a purple haze hammer while screaming "What the Fuck!" kind of told me to take my time with starting it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Veelk, you gotta learn to just let go of Echoes/Souls, bro.

It's always a trade-off whether you push on towards the next shortcut/lamp/bonfire, or head back to safety and spend them, but if you're getting frustrated you should probably make the latter a priority.

That way, you'll have an extra level, extra items, or a stronger weapon, and you'll only get better by playing through the same area, learning how to tackle the enemies more efficiently and getting a better handle on your moveset.

But, I do highly recommend that you learn to let go. The very nature of Echoes/Souls is that they are fleeting, and can be earned back pretty easily.

It's always a trade-off whether you push on towards the next shortcut/lamp/bonfire, or head back to safety and spend them, but if you're getting frustrated you should probably make the latter a priority.

That way, you'll have an extra level, extra items, or a stronger weapon, and you'll only get better by playing through the same area, learning how to tackle the enemies more efficiently and getting a better handle on your moveset.

But, I do highly recommend that you learn to let go. The very nature of Echoes/Souls is that they are fleeting, and can be earned back pretty easily.
The man hasn't even dealt with his first chalice dungeon yet. He'll either get used to it or drop a rather long post on here that I've gotten rather used to explaining his frustrations and thought process about the whole thing, which I'd read while I'm eating dinner or something. He likes the game, he's just one to over analyze everything to the most minute details.

Veelk

Banned

They can't, really. That's the point. You can earn more echoes, sure, but you can't get back what you lost. I lost 10,000 souls. Even if I went out and got 10,000 more souls, then that just changes in the fact that I should have a total of 20,000, and have half that instead. I must have lost atleast 3 times the amount of souls I earned total so far, and all those could have been pushed toward my level to be stronger. Going out and earning more isn't recovery, it's perseverance.

I'm doubly frustrated because I was considering doing that exact thing (using a bold hunter thing to reawaken and level up) but I wanted to go on because I felt I could earn a few more. The thing was, I never could have expected that I'd get killed there. The enemy model was a werewolf identical to ones I've beaten countless times before. But he's way stronger and way more aggressive, so he took me down the first time out of sheer surprise. The second time I legitimately fucked up. Should have parried instead of trying to dodge. But a new enemy robbing you of your shit is still not all that fun, even if it's done legitimately.

Look, I'm not calling the game unfair or anything. I've just never been a fan of survival-horror type gameplay. The tension of permanently losing valuable progress this was has never been something I enjoyed. As I said, it doesn't make victories more enjoyable for me, it just makes failures more miserable. I know others feel differently and enjoy the tension that risk factor brings, but it's never been a positive experience for me.

The man hasn't even dealt with his first chalice dungeon yet. He'll either get used to it or drop a rather long post on here that I've gotten rather used to explaining his frustrations and thought process about the whole thing, which I'd read while I'm eating dinner or something. He likes the game, he's just one to over analyze everything to the most minute details.

Ah, you know me too well. Chances are I'm not going to drop it, because I don't see this as a flaw per se. This isn't a mistake, it's an intentional design decision that works to entail a particular experience. One that appeals to certain people, but I just happen to not be one of them. I might bitch about it, but I'm not going to drop a Veelk on it just out of personal distaste unless it gets so obnoxious (I can't go ten feet outside a lamp without feeling the need to run back and spend my echoes on something) that it's unplayable for me.

You're only in Old Yharnam. Regarding the werewolves get used to the idea of stun locking and dodging into their attacks cause that works pretty well. Time the forward dodge good enough so that you'll wind up in back of them as they're about to attack. After that just go in and kill them. I've also gotten into a rather odd habit of stepping in and out of attack range to bait an attack so I can parry it or so they can attack while I'm outside of their range and then after the attack animation you can attack them. Oh god just realized you're almost at that boss I hate the most out of the early bosses.

Veelk

Banned
You're only in Old Yharnam. Regarding the werewolves get used to the idea of stun locking and dodging into their attacks cause that works pretty well. Time the forward dodge good enough so that you'll wind up in back of them as they're about to attack. After that just go in and kill them. I've also gotten into a rather odd habit of stepping in and out of attack range to bait an attack so I can parry it or so they can attack while I'm outside of their range and then after the attack animation you can attack them. Oh god just realized you're almost at that boss I hate the most out of the early bosses.

Wonderful. I'm hoping to get the Eileen sidequest finished before anything else, but that requires me going through most of the Cathedral Ward. Which will come first, Eileen or this new boss?

Wonderful. I'm hoping to get the Eileen sidequest finished before anything else, but that requires me going through most of the Cathedral Ward. Which will come first, Eileen or this new boss?
I hope you spoke to her already. You still have to do this boss and I think the boss after that, you need to do it before the Cathedral Ward boss though because the second part of that becomes unavailable after a certain point and her quest isn't truly done till after the mid way point of the game.

Dahbomb

Echoes don't matter much. You lose some, you gain some. Every echo lost is a lesson learned. 10k is a drop in the bucket. You should always have at least one Bold Hunter's Mark in your possession.

Also hopefully you take to Eileen already because you might be locked out of the quest.

Veelk

Banned
Well, she's not showing up where she is supposed to. I'm apparently supposed to unlock 2 different gates the circular one that requires the captains badge and a smaller one somewhere. I'm relatively sure I'm on the right track, but even if not, the condition is that I can't kill certain bosses before I do her thing. So even if I encounter the bosses, I can just die and return to where she is.

Dahbomb

Well, she's not showing up where she is supposed to. I'm apparently supposed to unlock 2 different gates the circular one that requires the captains badge and a smaller one somewhere. I'm relatively sure I'm on the right track, but even if not, the condition is that I can't kill certain bosses before I do her thing. So even if I encounter the bosses, I can just die and return to where she is.
She shows up at a second spot after the Father G boss fight if you didn't meet her before. From Cathedral Ward just go straight and look towards your left side, she would be looking out in the scenery.

After that you need to open all the shortcuts/gates to the Vicar Amelia fight (but not fight her) and then go to the place where you fought Father G. If you had an encounter at that area and met up with her then you completed the 2nd part of her quest. The final quest is after you kill Rom and go back to where you fought Amelia.

RiggyRob

After an hour of messing around with ShareFactory, it is done!

The first 'episode' of Pimmsy vs Bloodborne, starting with Henryk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zDfW2BW0I

Despite it taking an hour for what is essentially a 4 minute clip, I found it quite fun doing the whole editing thing, and being able to do it all on the PS4 was fantastic, really sped things up.

More to follow when I get around to editing her fights against the Witch of Hemwick and Vicar Amelia.

Veelk

Banned
She shows up at a second spot after the Father G boss fight if you didn't meet her before. From Cathedral Ward just go straight and look towards your left side, she would be looking out in the scenery.

After that you need to open all the shortcuts/gates to the Vicar Amelia fight (but not fight her) and then go to the place where you fought Father G. If you had an encounter at that area and met up with her then you completed the 2nd part of her quest. The final quest is after you kill Rom and go back to where you fought Amelia.

Oh, I forgot another bit that pissed me off, but I'm not sure if I should be mad at the game or myself. The Young Girl side quest, the one at the window. Apparently, she was gonna die no matter what I did. Either she'd die to the pig in 2 of my 3 options, or an eldritch monstrosity if I send her to Iosefka's.

Normally, I'm not an advocate of saying there needs to be a win possibility in a game, but given that it concerns a frikken kid, I can make an exception in this case and say there should have been a way to save her. Whats worse is that in knowing the future details of the quest that I should not know, I knew she'd die regardless. So given an inevitability of it all, I decided to profit off the situation as much as I could and sent her off to Iosefka's, to pick up that thingamajig later. Which made me feel like a complete piece of shit, exploiting a girls death to my advantage. But the fuck was I suppose to do, since she was going to die as a result of my actions anyway?

If there was any way I could have ensured her survival, I would have whatever the cost to me. But there wasn't, so now I just feel like a piece of shit opportunist. The situation just became a mathematical equation of what is most profitable for all parties. It made no sense, because each action was going to equally consign her to her death. Since she wasn't going to profit regardless, I might as well. But that didn't make me feel any better when she happily thanked me for what I did and said she loved me. I don't know how I'd feel if I didn't know about the quest results until after I completed it. I'd probably still not like the inevitability of it, but atleast then I could have legitimately said I did everything I reasonably could to ensure her safety. Maybe I'd even take solace in the fact that her death wasn't really a failure on my part. But now...ugh.

Look, I get that merciless cruelty in worlds like bloodborne is a good atmosphere for the game. It's importance is not lost on me. I also don't think children should never die or anything like that. By all means, slaughter an orphanage if you must, but do it with a purpose. Do it well. There ought to be something to killing off a child character beyond "Oh, isn't it so sad that a child died". It's not skillful or creative storytelling to manipulate the most basic humane tendencies, it's just an bludgeoning abuse of people's empathy to get a clumsy emotional response. If you're not going to get mad about the pointless child death itself, then get mad about this sloppy excuse of getting an audience reaction that any storyteller worth their salt is above. FromSoft are better storytellers than that, and we deserve better than that. Because this? This is cheap.

And, in any case, this puts me at odds with the world. I the player knew what was going to happen in future events because I read about it, but my character had no idea and was just operating with the intentions of getting this kid to safety, because he can't know what I know. This just creates a dissonance between my character and myself that I don't really like in my gaming experiences.

So, for those reasons, once I'm done with the Eileen side quest, I'm not gonna look at side quest info and just take it as it comes. I just didn't like at all the position I was put in as a result of knowing that little girl was going to die regardless of what I did. I'll lose whatever I need to for it to not happen again, atleast not this playthrough. All this fiddling to make sure I'm play right is getting in the way of me enjoying the game.

mstevens

I've never co oped before so I'm not even sure how it works / if I can with my level and set up, but would anyone be willing to help with defiled amygdala? I'm completely stuck. I'd like to finish with this semi quickly because I'm nervous about my hunters essence trophy being glitched and I want to get into ng+ within the next couple of days to see if getting the hunters torch again will work.

Would really appreciate the help. Didn't really have trouble with the dog for some reason. The amygdala fight is just so long that it wears me down. Thanks!

Edit: yes someone please help. I'm on try 32 now I just can't beat it.

Dahbomb

Oh, I forgot another bit that pissed me off, but I'm not sure if I should be mad at the game or myself. The Young Girl side quest, the one at the window. Apparently, she was gonna die no matter what I did. Either she'd die to the pig in 2 of my 3 options, or an eldritch monstrosity if I send her to Iosefka's.

Normally, I'm not an advocate of saying there needs to be a win possibility in a game, but given that it concerns a frikken kid, I can make an exception in this case and say there should have been a way to save her. Whats worse is that in knowing the future details of the quest that I should not know, I knew she'd die regardless. So given an inevitability of it all, I decided to profit off the situation as much as I could and sent her off to Iosefka's, to pick up that thingamajig later. Which made me feel like a complete piece of shit, exploiting a girls death to my advantage. But the fuck was I suppose to do, since she was going to die as a result of my actions anyway?

If there was any way I could have ensured her survival, I would have whatever the cost to me. But there wasn't, so now I just feel like a piece of shit opportunist. The situation just became a mathematical equation of what is most profitable for all parties. It made no sense, because each action was going to equally consign her to her death. Since she wasn't going to profit regardless, I might as well. But that didn't make me feel any better when she happily thanked me for what I did and said she loved me. I don't know how I'd feel if I didn't know about the quest results until after I completed it. I'd probably still not like the inevitability of it, but atleast then I could have legitimately said I did everything I reasonably could to ensure her safety. Maybe I'd even take solace in the fact that her death wasn't really a failure on my part. But now...ugh.

Look, I get that merciless cruelty in worlds like bloodborne is a good atmosphere for the game. It's importance is not lost on me. I also don't think children should never die or anything like that. By all means, slaughter an orphanage if you must, but do it with a purpose. Do it well. There ought to be something to killing off a child character beyond "Oh, isn't it so sad that a child died". It's not skillful or creative storytelling to manipulate the most basic humane tendencies, it's just an bludgeoning abuse of people's empathy to get a clumsy emotional response. If you're not going to get mad about the pointless child death itself, then get mad about this sloppy excuse of getting an audience reaction that any storyteller worth their salt is above. FromSoft are better storytellers than that, and we deserve better than that. Because this? This is cheap.

And, in any case, this puts me at odds with the world. I the player knew what was going to happen in future events because I read about it, but my character had no idea and was just operating with the intentions of getting this kid to safety, because he can't know what I know. This just creates a dissonance between my character and myself that I don't really like in my gaming experiences.

So, for those reasons, once I'm done with the Eileen side quest, I'm not gonna look at side quest info and just take it as it comes. I just didn't like at all the position I was put in as a result of knowing that little girl was going to die regardless of what I did. I'll lose whatever I need to for it to not happen again, atleast not this playthrough. All this fiddling to make sure I'm play right is getting in the way of me enjoying the game.
That's not the game's fault that's your fault for looking in advance to a guide. I personally loved that quest line because she died, that got to me. Not knowing that she is fated to die kept me invested to save her (or find her parents).

It's like reading a book but before reading it you know a side character dies.

As far as the child's death goes.... well Bloodborne doesn't discriminate. Sometimes kids die, sometimes women die, sometimes old guys die. If you are making a post like that then it means it got to you and From succeeded.

At the very least the character wasn't a killable NPC. All NPCS in these games you can kill by slashing at them but of course you can't do that if they are behind doors.

Veelk

Banned
That's not the game's fault that's your fault for looking in advance to a guide. I personally loved that quest line because she died, that got to me. Not knowing that she is fated to die kept me invested to save her (or find her parents).

It's like reading a book but before reading it you know a side character dies.

As far as the child's death goes.... well Bloodborne doesn't discriminate. Sometimes kids die, sometimes women die, sometimes old guys die. If you are making a post like that then it means it got to you and From succeeded.

At the very least the character wasn't a killable NPC. All NPCS in these games you can kill by slashing at them but of course you can't do that if they are behind doors.

Right, I don't blame the game for my being put in the position of having future knowledge. I just don't like that I had it, atleast on the first playthrough. That lessens the experience for me, and I'd rather miss whatever hidden content there is than get spoiled and trapped in situations like that.

However, in terms of narrative, I am not impressed with it. I already knew that people died pointless and painful deaths regardless of who they were in this world. That was obvious before I even put the game in the PS4. My point is that it's not useful to show those kinds of things without purpose. It's really not impressive or difficult to 'get' people when you play with touchy subjects like child death. We're kind of hardwired to feel a strong measure of empathy in that regard. Simply abusing that empathy isn't skillful or intelligent or creative or...anything. Yeah, FromSoft elicited an emotional reaction from me, but that's not impressive. It's extremely easy to piss people off or make them depressed or whatever. Whats hard is to give that emotion some sort of meaning. If you can explain the meaning you got from, then maybe I can buy something like that. But if all you can give me is "oh, isn't it so sad a child died", then that's just blunt force storytelling. Or, to put in action game terms, it's button mashing, when it should be a skilled and precisely timed attack to a strategically weak point. There is a world of difference, and this isn't a good use of technique from a pure storytelling standpoint.

Right, I don't blame the game for my being put in the position of having future knowledge. I just don't like that I had it, atleast on the first playthrough. That lessens the experience for me, and I'd rather miss whatever hidden content there is than get spoiled and trapped in situations like that.

However, in terms of narrative, I am not impressed with it. I already knew that people died pointless and painful deaths regardless of who they were in this world. That was obvious before I even put the game in the PS4. My point is that it's not useful to show those kinds of things without purpose. It's really not impressive or difficult to 'get' people when you play with touchy subjects like child death. We're kind of hardwired to feel a strong measure of empathy in that regard. Simply abusing that empathy isn't skillful or intelligent or creative or...anything. Yeah, FromSoft elicited an emotional reaction from me, but that's not impressive. It's extremely easy to piss people off or make them depressed or whatever. Whats hard is to give that emotion some sort of meaning. If you can explain the meaning you got from, then maybe I can buy something like that. But if all you can give me is "oh, isn't it so sad a child died", then that's just blunt force storytelling. Or, to put in action game terms, it's button mashing, when it should be a skilled and precisely timed attack to a strategically weak point. There is a world of difference, and this isn't a good use of technique from a pure storytelling standpoint.
Get your shit pushed in by Blood Starved Beast yet?

mstevens

Picking up the torch again in new game+ popped the trophy and the plat! Whew. What a game!

edit: Is it too late to get the theme? Or is it Europe only?

It's just nerve wracking and just really disheartening when you lose your progress.

So, in other words, working as intended.

I've never co oped before so I'm not even sure how it works / if I can with my level and set up, but would anyone be willing to help with defiled amygdala? I'm completely stuck. I'd like to finish with this semi quickly because I'm nervous about my hunters essence trophy being glitched and I want to get into ng+ within the next couple of days to see if getting the hunters torch again will work.

Would really appreciate the help. Didn't really have trouble with the dog for some reason. The amygdala fight is just so long that it wears me down. Thanks!

Edit: yes someone please help. I'm on try 32 now I just can't beat it.

I have to wake up for work in five hours, otherwise I'd be down to help you (although I'm right at the start of the defiled dungeon, no clue if I can help in a lower level). I just wanted to point out that your chalice dungeon progress is kept between NG+'es (it's entirely untouched, including which ones you have open and what floors you're in), and unlike the main game it does not scale with NGs, so feel free to go ahead, finish the game, try to get the trophy, and then keep doing chalice dungeon stuff right where you left off. In fact NG+ will help you a lot, as enemies will drop a ton more souls in the main game, allowing you to level up much faster if needed, not to mention getting all those extra chunks. NG+ itself is much easier than the defiled dungeon, too. I wouldn't touch the defiled chalice until at least endgame NG+.

The only exception to this is if you want to go through the DLC before NG+, but then obviously you'd want to avoid finishing the game independently of finishing the defiled dungeon or not.

Is there any I miss if I kill VA before BSB? I want to do the
non-killing route to Djura, so I need to advance to get the bag guys to appear.

You can murder anything and everything on your path to BSB (excluding Djura himself, obviously), kill BSB, light the BSB lamp, get snatched, encounter Paarl, teleport back to the BSB lamp, sneak up on Djura and befriend him. His aggro seems to clear between zone loads, so you just need to avoid being seen after warping in, which is a trivial matter from the BSB lamp.

ramyeon

Just pulled the trigger on a cheap TV for my room in my new place - getting my PS4 sent down next week. I'm finally gonna be able to play this DLC!

You can murder anything and everything on your path to BSB (excluding Djura himself, obviously), kill BSB, light the BSB lamp, get snatched, encounter Paarl, teleport back to the BSB lamp, sneak up on Djura and befriend him. His aggro seems to clear between zone loads, so you just need to avoid being seen after warping in, which is a trivial matter from the BSB lamp.

Okay, well I've killed VA, then BSB anyway. I'd done it before but I restarted with a new character because I'd left off for months and lost all momentum, but I must have misremembered the sequence. Anyway, onwards to R and I'll be caught up to where I was (with some new DLC areas to boot).

Just pulled the trigger on a cheap TV for my room in my new place - getting my PS4 sent down next week. I'm finally gonna be able to play this DLC!
Be prepared to die a lot again. This shit is tense.
I'll get used to it, but I don't think I'll ever endorse it, for the reasons explained above. It's not a good mechanic to me.
Funny enough I've gotten really used to these things.

Top Bottom