• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

RiggyRob

Just stream through youtube. I have no problem fast forwarding through it if need be. Keeps everything and it doesn't stop recording till you leave the stream.

True, but it's easier for me to manage when it's just the last 15 minutes, in case I want to add more to the video. It's a shame it happened, but I don't have videos of all of the boss fights or NPC fights anyway, so I'll live with it.

I have considered streaming myself, and I think when we get around to playing other games like Witcher 3 I might do streams + boss fight videos. Is there a cap on how much footage you can upload to YouTube?

True, but it's easier for me to manage when it's just the last 15 minutes, in case I want to add more to the video. It's a shame it happened, but I don't have videos of all of the boss fights or NPC fights anyway, so I'll live with it.

I have considered streaming myself, and I think when we get around to playing other games like Witcher 3 I might do streams + boss fight videos. Is there a cap on how much footage you can upload to YouTube?
I have no idea frankly. I know I have a good amount of stuff up on there. I should try streaming again myself, but nobody really watches mine so I stopped caring really, though there are some things I wish I recorded. Seeing me going into Research Hall blind would've been funny considering how many fall off stair deaths I had.

Is there any way to tell if I've already done a particular Chalice Dungeon?

If you've never removed a chalice mid-dungeon (i.e. you've completed all the dungeons you've started), then the easiest way is to check which chalices you have the base version of, but not the root version. Since they're always listed one after the other, it's easy to see which ones you're missing.

This doesn't work if you've started, but not completed, a chalice, as the root chalice is obtained on intermediate floors, so you could have got it but not completed the dungeon.

Sounds like you've already done all of the ones, except maybe Hintertomb I guess. You can often check what Chalices you've done by what the latest chalices you have available for ritual which lets you know you've done everything prior to that. I forget if every end boss drops something that signifies completion but if not I'd argue they're not necessary for 100%, just unique items.
Yes I've done Hinterromb. Just looking through the wiki now and it seems I'm only missing one - the Sinister Lower Pthumeru Root Chalice which according to the wiki is:

Sold by Messengers for 9000 Blood Echoes inside Lower Pthumeru Chalice (One of the Layers, its randomized which one is it) (Behind an illusory wall in the room with Keeper of the Old Lords)
Which is pretty confusing, but at least I know where to look!

If you've never removed a chalice mid-dungeon (i.e. you've completed all the dungeons you've started), then the easiest way is to check which chalices you have the base version of, but not the root version. Since they're always listed one after the other, it's easy to see which ones you're missing.

This doesn't work if you've started, but not completed, a chalice, as the root chalice is obtained on intermediate floors, so you could have got it but not completed the dungeon.
Oh God yeah, I'm way passed that, I didn't do them in any order so it's been pretty messy!

RiggyRob

I have no idea frankly. I know I have a good amount of stuff up on there. I should try streaming again myself, but nobody really watches mine so I stopped caring really, though there are some things I wish I recorded. Seeing me going into Research Hall blind would've been funny considering how many fall off stair deaths I had.

Yeah, that seems to be the most difficult part of the whole thing - getting people to actually watch the videos/streams!

Man, I wish I could be like the successful streamers/Let's Players, it'd be awesome knowing that a significant number of people actually like watching your playthroughs.

Yeah, that seems to be the most difficult part of the whole thing - getting people to actually watch the videos/streams!

Man, I wish I could be like the successful streamers/Let's Players, it'd be awesome knowing that a significant number of people actually like watching your playthroughs.
I don't even like listening to me, I'm a nasally mess so I just keep my mic off when I stream now.

neoism

so guys could anyone help me out real quick even with over 100 hours of gameplay I still don't really know how to do the chalice dungeons I did a few back in March and I can't really remember the order or whatever but all I'm really looking for is a dungeon that has a 27% gem in it i can farm??? like any stanard dugoun or do they only spawn in root D only?

BumRush

so guys could anyone help me out real quick even with over 100 hours of gameplay I still don't really know how to do the chalice dungeons I did a few back in March and I can't really remember the order or whatever but all I'm really looking for is a dungeon that has a 27% gem in it i can farm??? like any stanard dugoun or do they only spawn in root D only?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kfIeXoMa2Lp9X1aXyme2qaTen4/htmlview?sle=true#

Someone posted this a few pages back...big help.

mekes

Finally got round to getting that Pthumerian Queen trophy and damn it felt good. Worst boss for me on the run through must have been Amygdala, that took some real learning but when it finally happened I had 15 blood vials left over. I wont say how many attempts it took :D

Celebrated by making a Cursed Pthumeru dungeon with all the added ritual whatever things thrown in. Went in and got eaten alive :/

kewlmyc

I got some bad news for you

The closer you can stay to it the safer you'll be, odd as that sounds. Most of its big attacks are easily dodged at that range and if it does the 4 swipe combo and you dodge the first you'll be laughing

But you do have to fight him again in Lower Loran, he's a lot easier if you just dodge through his attacks. How the fuck I'm dealing with him on my skill/arcane character I have no idea. I've only successfully fought him with the Chikage and Burial Blade, both of which are not on that character. I guess I can try with the Blades of Mercy but oy vey he hits too hard and is quick. I had near success with that weapon, but the poison killed him after he killed me so it didn't register.

you can avoid fighting him in the lower loran if you get the Izs chalice from Amygdala in Nightmare Frontier, that is far easier IMO

Thanks. I'm just going to do the Isz Graveyard again instead to get the red jellies I'll need. Screw fighting Abhorrent Beast again, at least right now.

EDIT: Okay this is weird. I log into my game today after playing offline all day yesterday and now the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice is unlocked and waiting for me on my 4th Ritual Alter despite me not having the materials for it (which was why I was doing the Loran and Isz dungeons). I'm not complaining since it saves me a lot of time, but this is really really bizarre.

pixxxelz

To be fair you shouldn't have +10 weapon when fighting her but that damage is really good. It is basically same as using Evelyn or RP with BMA but you don't have to use expensive buff and you can get 30+ shots out of it with the same damage. Only problem I have with it is that it is super boring to use.
Yeah is not as fun as BoM, Chikage or Rakuyo but I still love it.
Damn. I want to see how it works against the naked Watcher with a Club, Abhorrent Beast, and Pthumerian Descendant in Ihyll chalice. =)
Yeah me too, I don't think it'll do as good against pthumerian descendant though because of that boomerang of his, we'll see I just started doing chalice dungeons on this character so idk how long is going to take me, collecting all this materials is a pain.

Also wow I had no idea chalice dungeons had so many fake walls!

Chalice dungeons complete. Pthumeru Ihyll went over pretty damn smooth. Think I died twice exploring and Pthumerian Descendent took 3 or 4 tries. Other two bosses I got first try. I was prepared to cry with headless BLB but I did the no lock on thing and dodged towards the back of it's heel. Barely took any damage. Really only got hit if it repositioned and swiped from off camera. Second phase made no difference at all. Whip was steady dishing out that work.

All that's missing now is Wet Nurse and the last couple fights and that's everything with the DLC. Clocking in at just under 22 hours.

As far as the chalices go. If you can let go of the fact that you won't be particularly well rewarded they can be pretty enjoyable as a pure gameplay challenge. Shame about the first two layers but 3 through 5 are comparable to late NG through NG+ and up. Also Yharnam is pretty damn cool

As far as the chalices go. If you can let go of the fact that you won't be particularly well rewarded they can be pretty enjoyable as a pure gameplay challenge. Shame about the first two layers but 3 through 5 are comparable to late NG through NG+ and up. Also Yharnam is pretty damn cool
They actually made them more rewarding in one of the latest patches, they give you the blood gems from bosses even from your first run through them (and some of them are very strong for the point of the game where Depths 1 & 2 would be challenging which is right after you can access Chalice dungeons).

They actually made them more rewarding in one of the latest patches, they give you the blood gems from bosses even from your first run through them (and some of them are very strong for the point of the game where Depths 1 & 2 would be challenging which is right after you can access Chalice dungeons).

Oh yeah, it's better than the first time I did it. Scored a few chunks and a rock along the way. Even without that stuff it's still more Bloodborne. There's definitely some fun to be had in there. Got the impression that a lot of people just skipped the chalices

RiggyRob

Episode 8, Pimmsy vs. Martyr Logarius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyfzaGRRPwo

No cheating with NPC summons for this one! As you might imagine, she struggled a bit more with this fight, but she still did very well I think considering there was some serious bullshit of Logarius planting his sword inside the towers in the roof where she couldn't get rid of it.

Dat finish tho.

Episode 8, Pimmsy vs. Martyr Logarius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyfzaGRRPwo

No cheating with NPC summons for this one! As you might imagine, she struggled a bit more with this fight, but she still did very well I think considering there was some serious bullshit of Logarius planting his sword inside the towers in the roof where she couldn't get rid of it.

Dat finish tho.
God damn, thought was tight. I swear you have to be really aggressive with him to knock him out of his spell casting phase quickly so you're not wasting your time dodge skulls. Fun fight though, damn.

RiggyRob

God damn, thought was tight. I swear you have to be really aggressive with him to knock him out of his spell casting phase quickly so you're not wasting your time dodge skulls. Fun fight though, damn.

It either takes charged R2s like the Hunter's Axe or you have to hit him really early into it, but I don't find dodging the spells that hard actually - the big one is slow, you dodge through the small ones and you stay on his right side to avoid the delayed explosion one.

I've never seen him plant the sword into the towers on the roof though, so I couldn't tell Pimmsy anything except run away from the flying swords of death. We got really concerned that killing Logarius wouldn't count since she died, hence the relief when we got back there and picked up the Echoes.

It either takes charged R2s like the Hunter's Axe or you have to hit him really early into it, but I don't find dodging the spells that hard actually - the big one is slow, you dodge through the small ones and you stay on his right side to avoid the delayed explosion one.

I've never seen him plant the sword into the towers on the roof though, so I couldn't tell Pimmsy anything except run away from the flying swords of death. We got really concerned that killing Logarius wouldn't count since she died, hence the relief when we got back there and picked up the Echoes.
Yeah she got lucky on that one. I usually just rush him with something quick and use the towers to block the magic shots if I can. It's good to do a charged R2 at his back to visceral while he's charging up for his second phase. I usually parry fish him a lot too in that phase. One of my favorite fights though, love his music.

ramyeon

PS4 is waiting to be picked up at the post office. DLC is purchased waiting to be downloaded.

I'm so damn ready for this tonight.

mekes

*Shakes of cape*

Finally got the platinum tonight! Its insane how fast you can clear the game when you know the shortest routes. I went through my NG++ with a +10 Whirigig Saw stacked with 3 20+% attack gems and, that might just be a little bit OP against bosses :D

*Continues to hold L2*

Veelk

Banned
I just saw the new souls trailer. I'm probably not going to get any more bloodborne done for the next week or two, but I officially love the series for it's conceit alone. Where else in the entire gaming world am I ever going to be able to fight a moving pregnant humanoid spider tree by hitting it's poisonous sack over and over until its baby starts to come out?

I haven't yet fallen in love with the gameplay (though I don't really dislike it by any means), but I do love the series for just that.

RiggyRob

Episode 9, Pimmsy vs. Flora: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1nebmOsBY0

Ok, so this video takes a bit of explaining - we thought this NPC was more significant than she actually is, mainly because of the dialogue both when Pimmsy died and when she won, because it was the first time we saw either parts.

We didn't realise that what the Doll says is actually just random, and she says it when she's asleep, but she's very clearly standing up in the video, so I don't know why it happened, we thought we triggered it.

Oh well, since I don't have a Bloody Crow of Cainhurst video, so this'll do.

Mudo

I think this is my first post about Bloodborne. disclaimer: I own all of the souls games and apparently suck so bad that I was crushed after just a couple hours with each. So, being crazy I bought this at launch. Again, 2-3 hours in I was beyond frustrated and couldn't do it. I came back a couple days ago and was DETERMINED to make something happen. I finally got to the first boss, died instantly but now I could level up so I have been doing that. I have been able to explore most of the first area now up to the boss, and am scared to even TRY that thing.

I made a Lone Survivor and have leveled up maybe 6 times, splitting between STR and END. are this the right things to be leveling up? Do I stand any chance against this thing? I don't even know how to approach the fight! But, I feel like I have finally for the first time ever made it further than I ever have.

Any tips are appreciated. git gud probably won't work because I have a feeling I'm just not that good at these types of games lol. But I love the game and want to be able to progress.

I think this is my first post about Bloodborne. disclaimer: I own all of the souls games and apparently suck so bad that I was crushed after just a couple hours with each. So, being crazy I bought this at launch. Again, 2-3 hours in I was beyond frustrated and couldn't do it. I came back a couple days ago and was DETERMINED to make something happen. I finally got to the first boss, died instantly but now I could level up so I have been doing that. I have been able to explore most of the first area now up to the boss, and am scared to even TRY that thing.

I made a Lone Survivor and have leveled up maybe 6 times, splitting between STR and END. are this the right things to be leveling up? Do I stand any chance against this thing? I don't even know how to approach the fight! But, I feel like I have finally for the first time ever made it further than I ever have.

Any tips are appreciated. git gud probably won't work because I have a feeling I'm just not that good at these types of games lol. But I love the game and want to be able to progress.

Those stats are fine, but you should absolutely be leveling up vitality too. Probably the most important stat in the game. If you're scared to fight, maybe try going to the boss and playing keep away with it. Get a feel for its moveset, and that might make you more confident if you know how the boss fights. Spend your blood echoes before you do this, so you don't have to worry about losing them if you keep dying to the boss over and over.

embalm

There are two bosses and good number of items and npcs in the first area. So explore and search for shortcuts. There is always something you missed so check everything twice.

Remember that you can always run past enemies if you want to quickly get to a place. Just be careful and make sure you know which ones will chase you down.

STR is a good stat. Along with SKL it is used on almost every weapon to increase your damage. I think you should always be increasing your primary damage stat, the faster your prey dies the more likely you are to live.

Vitality is the best stat. No one wants to die in one hit. So increase your health and make sure you can take a few, get away, and heal it back up.

Bloodtinge increases the damage you do with guns. So think about increasing it if you find yourself shooting alot. There are some good melee weapons that scale with this stat also, but they are found fairly late in the game.

Endurance increases that green bar. I ignored it for my first play through. You usually only get a few hits in and then dodge out. It refills so quickly that I never felt I needed more. I think it's much better with super heavy or super fast weapons so you can stun lock some enemies.

Edit:
I think I know what boss you are on. If you want to train you can try fighting the nearby werewolves. If you can dodge them, you can dodge the boss. Also don't be afraid to die to bosses. Spend all of your Blood Echoes and then just spend 3 or so lives learning the bosses moves, fighting it without healing and see how far you get. Once you feel less intimidated give it a real shot with some fire paper, max healing items, and a few molotov cocktails.

Dahbomb

What weapon are you using? If you are using the Axe then you should put stats into Strength and Vitality. If using Cane then Dex and Vit.

Main thing you want to improve in these games is your spacing and dodging. You want to always time your dodge so that you dodge just as about as you are getting hit. Otherwise you should space yourself so you should be just outside their attack range but just within the range they will start their attack in. That way you can attack them when they miss.

Always always take on enemies one at a time. If you are forced into a multi enemy encounter either run away, funnel them into a narrow area so they don't surround you or space yourself properly.

Other main tips are that you can charge R2 on someone's back to set up a visceral (R1 close to them when they stagger). You can also stagger them by shooting them when they are about to attack you also setting up a viseral, very useful against slightly bigger enemies.

Explore the area thoroughly. There should be an outfit in that area a that will improve your defenses a lot. The first boss is weak against fire so you can amass some molotovs. Farm up some Blood Vials and level up Vit plus your weapons main stat. You can hold up to 20 vials and any extra you acquire will go into your stash so when you die you get your stash vial. So you can stash up like 50 vials and you will be able to do multiple boss attempts with full vials.

Also you want to open all gates and shortcuts so it's easier to move around the area and get to the bosses quick. This is a fundamental aspect of the Souls games, every boss has a shortcut from the lamp that you can get use to get from lamp to boss quickly.

As far as the boss fights go, there are two ways you can fight most bosses. Either you space them out and wait for their attacks to end them go into attack and move out quickly. The other way is to be hugging their side and dodge to their back so you avoid their attack while always being in attack range. You back up when you need to heal and go back in. If you do this you want to have lock on disengaged especially against larger bosses.

Episode 9, Pimmsy vs. Flora: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1nebmOsBY0

Ok, so this video takes a bit of explaining - we thought this NPC was more significant than she actually is, mainly because of the dialogue both when Pimmsy died and when she won, because it was the first time we saw either parts.

We didn't realise that what the Doll says is actually just random, and she says it when she's asleep, but she's very clearly standing up in the video, so I don't know why it happened, we thought we triggered it.

Oh well, since I don't have a Bloody Crow of Cainhurst video, so this'll do.
What stats is Pimmsy running, especially on that rifle spear cause she was doing like no damage per hit.

Mudo

What weapon are you using? If you are using the Axe then you should put stats into Strength and Vitality. If using Cane then Dex and Vit.

Main thing you want to improve in these games is your spacing and dodging. You want to always time your dodge so that you dodge just as about as you are getting hit. Otherwise you should space yourself so you should be just outside their attack range but just within the range they will start their attack in. That way you can attack them when they miss.

Always always take on enemies one at a time. If you are forced into a multi enemy encounter either run away, funnel them into a narrow area so they don't surround you or space yourself properly.

Other main tips are that you can charge R2 on someone's back to set up a visceral (R1 close to them when they stagger). You can also stagger them by shooting them when they are about to attack you also setting up a viseral, very useful against slightly bigger enemies.

Explore the area thoroughly. There should be an outfit in that area a that will improve your defenses a lot. The first boss is weak against fire so you can amass some molotovs. Farm up some Blood Vials and level up Vit plus your weapons main stat. You can hold up to 20 vials and any extra you acquire will go into your stash so when you die you get your stash vial. So you can stash up like 50 vials and you will be able to do multiple boss attempts with full vials.

Also you want to open all gates and shortcuts so it's easier to move around the area and get to the bosses quick. This is a fundamental aspect of the Souls games, every boss has a shortcut from the lamp that you can get use to get from lamp to boss quickly.

As far as the boss fights go, there are two ways you can fight most bosses. Either you space them out and wait for their attacks to end them go into attack and move out quickly. The other way is to be hugging their side and dodge to their back so you avoid their attack while always being in attack range. You back up when you need to heal and go back in. If you do this you want to have lock on disengaged especially against larger bosses.

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. I did not know some of this! Ok I chose the Axe and I'm at work but now that I think of it, maybe it's actually STR and VIT (not END) that I have been levelling up. I will check to make sure. Great tips on the boss I will try it tonight just to see how it goes.

The whole "hug their side the dodge to the back" sounds fun and terrifying at the same time lol. What is Fire Paper???? I have Molotov Cocktails and pebbles but don't think i've seen anything by that name yet. Is the armor set the "Hunter" armor? I have that equipped right now - maybe I found that and just forgot?!

Dahbomb

Yeah it's the Yarnham Hunter set.

I don't remember if you get the fire paper that early on but if you do it's great against the earlier bosses.

And with the Hunter Axe you want to be in 2H form and use the charge R2 move as much as possible.

Arjen

I don't remember if you get the fire paper that early on but if you do it's great against the earlier bosses.

And with the Hunter Axe you want to be in 2H form and use the charge R2 move as much as possible.

Nope fire paper isn't available to him at this point.

Veelk

Banned

Where do you get the fire paper. I want my pimp whip cane of Justice to also be on fire.

RiggyRob

What stats is Pimmsy running, especially on that rifle spear cause she was doing like no damage per hit.

Right now I believe it's 31 Vit/30 End/31 Skill/30 Bloodtinge/whatever the base values for Strength and Arcane are, but obviously there's a tape delay so it won't be exactly those in the video. She keeps wanting to increase the damage of her gun even though I keep telling her Skill is better since she's not using the Chikage.

She's got the Blade of Mercy at +9 and the Rifle Spear at +10 now, although again it won't be that in the video. Blade of Mercy is currently killing it in
Research Hall
by the way.

Where do you get the fire paper. I want my pimp whip cane of Justice to also be on fire.

Fire Paper is obtained by speaking to an NPC.

Right now I believe it's 31 Vit/30 End/31 Skill/30 Bloodtinge/whatever the base values for Strength and Arcane are, but obviously there's a tape delay so it won't be exactly those in the video. She keeps wanting to increase the damage of her gun even though I keep telling her Skill is better since she's not using the Chikage.

She's got the Blade of Mercy at +9 and the Rifle Spear at +10 now, although again it won't be that in the video. Blade of Mercy is currently killing it in
Research Hall
by the way.
Yeah the blades are oddly good for Research Hall, comes at the fat heads hard and fast.

ryan13ts

Currently at the Living Failures boss, looking for people to join in on the fun, past this boss as well. Party/voice chat welcomed as well. Anyone up for joining?

RiggyRob

Yeah the blades are oddly good for Research Hall, comes at the fat heads hard and fast.

Stun locking is king in Bloodborne, if you can manage it.

Currently at the Living Failures boss, looking for people to join in on the fun, past this boss as well. Party/voice chat welcomed as well. Anyone up for joining?

Pimmsy has literally just beaten them, now in the
Fishing Hamlet
, unfortunately we're playing offline.

ryan13ts

Stun locking is king in Bloodborne, if you can manage it.

Pimmsy has literally just beaten them, now in the
Fishing Hamlet
, unfortunately we're playing offline.

I just finished the Failures, now I'm at Maria. Still looking should anyone else want to join.

On a side note, where do you get the bow from? Been keeping my eye open for it but it hasn't popped up yet, hoping I didn't miss it.

myco666

I just finished the Failures, now I'm at Maria. Still looking should anyone else want to join.

On a side note, where do you get the bow from? Been keeping my eye open for it but it hasn't popped up yet, hoping I didn't miss it.

You get it from the second lamp on the third area. You need to talk to the Harrowed Hunter in two locations before that though
first encounter the shortcut to first lamp of first area and second encounter is near the research hall lamp.

Dahbomb

If you have beaten the BSB then you can go up the elevator in the Oedon Chapel and go to a place where you get the Radiant Sword Hunter Badge (which also unlocks the Godly Ludwig blade). Getting the badge unlocks Fire Paper is an item you can purchase in the shop.

In addition if you talk to Alfred right outside Cathedral Ward he will give you 3 papers. This is right behind the place where you go in from Oedon Chapel to Old Yarnham.

You can find some Fire papers in Old Yarnham as well.

ramyeon

Yep. "You Died" will probably be burned into your corneas before you even beat the first boss, granted you are better than me at Bloodborne.
Didn't die at all before the first boss, but he's handed my ass to me the two times I've tried him once he gets to his second form haha.

Didn't die at all before the first boss, but he's handed my ass to me the two times I've tried him once he gets to his second form haha.
The only difficult enemies are the Old Hunters and Purple Haze Ogres. Other than that it's not too bad. Best way around the hunters is parrying them luckily. Ludwig can be a pain in the ass. Luckily I managed to beat him with my NG+ character earlier today after grinding in Lower Ailing Lorag...took out Super Abhorrent Beast again too.

Top Bottom