• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

RiggyRob

Episode 10, Pimmsy vs. Amygdala: https://youtu.be/cQWfwvsw3tA

Hopefully the mobile link works, testing it from my phone.

Pimmsy's absolutely tearing through the rest of the game, I'm running out of ready-made videos and I've got loads to edit. The funny thing about this fight is we followed the tip about staying close to Amygdala's left thigh and it absolutely trivialises the fight. Dunno if it works against Defiled Amygdala though. I think after this Pimmsy switches from Threaded Cane to Rifle Spear, she loves it now.

ryan13ts

You get it from the second lamp on the third area. You need to talk to the Harrowed Hunter in two locations before that though
first encounter the shortcut to first lamp of first area and second encounter is near the research hall lamp.

Thanks, just got it from inspecting him.

On another note,
Laurence
is about to make me throw a controller out a window, literally. I got the fucker to literally1% health and he decides to throw a super swing that knocks me down and kills me. So infuriating I cant describe it in words. Could use some help getting this bastard out the way.

neoism

I stilll LOOOVE DS2 the most but man I really love this game... most def my GOTY... this game has atmosphere like no other..loved the dlc but could have been longer with more areas and less enemies....fishing helmet...-_- makes me glad I never got the newer version of DS2 the OG version is clearly the best...

My second plat ever.. :p
love this boss..... Lady Mariaaaaaaaa

also probably the one thing in this game that Souls just does better is pvp.... this was the only invasion of my ng+ game... wish all ares of the game was like this... I was really over leveled a little... My first duel? Lol rip in pieces PEPPERONIMONSTER

wW2ibvU.png

9YQ9ORm.png

f0H6GeA.png

MPZK9Yk.png

QO0TuaP.png

<3

holy shit I cant wait for DS3.

Jabba

Banned
My first playthrough, I missed alot of content. I defeated a really tough boss for the first time after 2 tries (at least he seemed tough)
Logarius

When my gun ran out of bullets, I was like, "Shit, I'm dead!" Had one heal left and it brought me to little less than half. The boss was a quarter or so. Since I'm not so so skilled, I tried postponing the inevitable. I decided to fight instead of looking for an opening. Boss went into the air, attacked, I dodged the attack. I saw cleavered him some, he then hit me once, I dodged another swing from him, then went back at him and the cleaver staggered him just enough to finish him off.

Honestly I was happy to have beaten him. I also had to get up, and walk around because my heart was pounding and my hands were shaking like crazy. I've had smaller reactions like this before with other games but not to this extent. The OG Xbox Ninja Gaiden comes to mind and also higher levels of Robotron 2084 in the arcades. I recall 2084 had a few levels where if you didn't kill or open up a path fast, game over.

It's amazing that some games can affect some people physically like this and other games can.

Episode 11, Pimmsy vs. Rom the Vacuous Spider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLNOIosGU-g

Pimmsy struggled quite a bit with this fight, summoned
Mensis Scholar Damien
for quite a few tries until she said fuck it, decided to bumrush her and managed to win.

I think she despises add fights as much as I do.
Did she fight chalice Rom yet? That motherfucker once got caught in an infinite loop where she just kept using her meteor attack and I couldn't find an opening to safely get near her and I just eventually fucked up and got killed by her body slam attack thing.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Just discovered the HUD off option. Fun to fuck around with. The game is very gorgeous and pretty intense without it. I don't know, it's kind of a spectacle to watch.

RiggyRob

Did she fight chalice Rom yet? That motherfucker once got caught in an infinite loop where she just kept using her meteor attack and I couldn't find an opening to safely get near her and I just eventually fucked up and got killed by her body slam attack thing.

Not yet, I'm not sure if she'll bother doing the Chalices since it's her birthday next week and she wants to play Xenoblade X, she's very close to finishing both the DLC and the main game though.

I think she'd find Chalice Rom easier, since you can hide behind the pillars for the meteor attack and then run and get a couple of hits in when possible, the reason she was struggling was she can't handle killing all of the spiders AND dodging meteors at the same time.

My first playthrough, I missed alot of content. I defeated a really tough boss for the first time after 2 tries (at least he seemed tough)
Logarius

When my gun ran out of bullets, I was like, "Shit, I'm dead!" Had one heal left and it brought me to little less than half. The boss was a quarter or so. Since I'm not so so skilled, I tried postponing the inevitable. I decided to fight instead of looking for an opening. Boss went into the air, attacked, I dodged the attack. I saw cleavered him some, he then hit me once, I dodged another swing from him, then went back at him and the cleaver staggered him just enough to finish him off.

Honestly I was happy to have beaten him. I also had to get up, and walk around because my heart was pounding and my hands were shaking like crazy. I've had smaller reactions like this before with other games but not to this extent. The OG Xbox Ninja Gaiden comes to mind and also higher levels of Robotron 2084 in the arcades. I recall 2084 had a few levels where if you didn't kill or open up a path fast, game over.

It's amazing that some games can affect some people physically like this and other games can.

There's a sheer adrenaline rush to killing a boss with no vials, no bullets and a sliver of health left that I don't think other games can match, simply because it can be so tense or stressful.

myco666

Just beat Micolash (sp?). How far am I away from the "point of no return"? In fact, where is the "point of no return"?

When you see a burning house you are closest to point of no return. Also if you haven't played DLC yet you might want to save the next boss you encounter later since beating it will make you lose new dialog from the Doll that was added with the DLC.

Arondight

There must be something more to Darkbeast Paarl right? Summoned an NPC and didn't realize the boss was there. Was probably the most brain dead boss fight I've had and was just smashing buttons everywhere. Pretty sure the NPC did the bulk of the work and was literally tanking the boss. Couldn't figure out how to dodge his swipes but at least it's must first time not dying to a boss. No idea about Unseen Village and why I even got there and quickly lit the lamp and got out.

30 minutes earlier to that, I finally beat BSB. 2/3's of BSB fight was pretty decent and the the last bit ramps up so much with the poison and faster speed. Hated that bit.

Carcetti

Why the hell is the Abhorrent Beast in Lower Loran so much harder for me than the previous version in Loran? I killed the first one super easy but the repeat is making me nuts.

There must be something more to Darkbeast Paarl right? Summoned an NPC and didn't realize the boss was there. Was probably the most brain dead boss fight I've had and was just smashing buttons everywhere. Pretty sure the NPC did the bulk of the work and was literally tanking the boss. Couldn't figure out how to dodge his swipes but at least it's must first time not dying to a boss. No idea about Unseen Village and why I even got there and quickly lit the lamp and got out.

30 minutes earlier to that, I finally beat BSB. 2/3's of BSB fight was pretty decent and the the last bit ramps up so much with the poison and faster speed. Hated that bit.

It's pretty weak especially if you stun its legs. There's one in the chalice dungeons that's much more challenging.

Why the hell is the Abhorrent Beast in Lower Loran so much harder for me than the previous version in Loran? I killed the first one super easy but the repeat is making me nuts.

Could be bad luck. It's the same fight.

Motherfucker has more health, I think even hits harder, you have less of an arena to dodge in and you have to get really good at reading his attack pattern cause you have to know what to dodge into and what to distance yourself from, plus his third phase is really aggressive.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
When you see a burning house you are closest to point of no return. Also if you haven't played DLC yet you might want to save the next boss you encounter later since beating it will make you lose new dialog from the Doll that was added with the DLC.

Oh really? There's another boss?! Is it
the big lump of jelly I threw down a hole
?

I've semi started the DLC. The
big guy with the axe at the top of the stairs
is blocking my progress somewhat. No room to dodge!

myco666

Oh really? There's another boss?! Is it
the big lump of jelly I threw down a hole
?

I've semi started the DLC. The
big guy with the axe at the top of the stairs
is blocking my progress somewhat. No room to dodge!

Actually there are few more bosses left for you. No that wasn't a boss but you should definitely go check it out and make contact with it.

That guy has insane amount of health. You can just ignore him and run right past him if you have too much trouble.

Matt Frost

I bought Bloodborne out of the blue and really like the atmosphere and the combat system but have a lot of trouble with the difficulty... any tips on what character to make/best initial weapons to have? Like what gun is better. I also found a special armor that is a bit better but still getting kicked in the ass everytime I find something bigger. Any recommendations to lower the difficulty a bit will be welcome...

myco666

I bought Bloodborne out of the blue and really like the atmosphere and the combat system but have a lot of trouble with the difficulty... any tips on what character to make/best initial weapons to have? Like what gun is better. I also found a special armor that is a bit better but still getting kicked in the ass everytime I find something bigger. Any recommendations to lower the difficulty a bit will be welcome...

Blunderbuss is in my opinion the better gun of the starter ones since it won't miss and if you miss the timing it will still stagger the enemy unlike the Pistol. For melee weapon I find Cleaver and Axe to be much better for beginners than the Cane.

To make the game easier is getting your Vitality up so level that often. Also damage isn't based on your Str on Skill as much as it based on what level your weapon is so keep upgrading your weapon everytime you get enough materials.

Also remember that the starting area is probably the hardest area in the game and the game will get easier the farther you go aside from some difficulty spikes here and there.

J Jizzle

I'm no expert (I started the GOTY edition only last Friday and binged all weekend having never played a souls game before) but I went lone survivor/saw cleaver and it was more manageable compared to the other weapons/origins I initially tried. After I swapped the starting armor out, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in the different sets I have picked up. The game changer for me on progress was gaining levels and I put priority on that over buying anything from the vendors.

If I ever got beat by a boss, I'd go explore another area (avoiding any grinds between points I've already been) and come back to the boss 5+ levels higher. I'd always look to get back to a lantern and level up if I had enough for 2 or more levels.

Good luck fellow newbie Hunter!

Motherfucker has more health, I think even hits harder, you have less of an arena to dodge in and you have to get really good at reading his attack pattern cause you have to know what to dodge into and what to distance yourself from, plus his third phase is really aggressive.

tbh backing away from AB is never a good idea. It can close distance very quickly and all its most devastating attacks will hit you if you're a few paces in front of it. Even with a good dodge the lightning enhanced attacks have crazy AoE so you'll still probably eat a fuck ton of something. Stay maybe a touch more than its arms length away. It's the safest place you can be (provided you dodge its swipes well enough)

Matt Frost

Blunderbuss is in my opinion the better gun of the starter ones since it won't miss and if you miss the timing it will still stagger the enemy unlike the Pistol. For melee weapon I find Cleaver and Axe to be much better for beginners than the Cane.

To make the game easier is getting your Vitality up so level that often. Also damage isn't based on your Str on Skill as much as it based on what level your weapon is so keep upgrading your weapon everytime you get enough materials.

Also remember that the starting area is probably the hardest area in the game and the game will get easier the farther you go aside from some difficulty spikes here and there.

I'm no expert (I started the GOTY edition only last Friday and binged all weekend having never played a souls game before) but I went lone survivor/saw cleaver and it was more manageable compared to the other weapons/origins I initially tried. After I swapped the starting armor out, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in the different sets I have picked up. The game changer for me on progress was gaining levels and I put priority on that over buying anything from the vendors.

If I ever got beat by a boss, I'd go explore another area (avoiding any grinds between points I've already been) and come back to the boss 5+ levels higher. I'd always look to get back to a lantern and level up if I had enough for 2 or more levels.

Good luck fellow newbie Hunter!

Thanks a ton for the help, I will try to make a new character with all that (lone survivor, lots of vitality, upgrading weapons (didint know this) and the saw cleaver). Will get into it now! Thanks, the game looks and feels so good I dont want to be scared about the difficulty, anything helps, will try to finish the first area :D

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Actually there are few more bosses left for you.

In Mensis...? Holy shit. I thought I was near the end!

No that wasn't a boss but you should definitely go check it out and make contact with it.

Is that a hint? I got a gesture like that from somewhere recently...

I have to find out how to get to the bottom of that hole yet and this is probably the second most terrifying area in the game so far.

That guy has insane amount of health. You can just ignore him and run right past him if you have too much trouble.

Fuck that. I have to take him out at least once. Does he... uh... does he respawn?

myco666

In Mensis...? Holy shit. I thought I was near the end!

In Mensis there is only one more.

Is that a hint? I got a gesture like that from somewhere recently...

I have to find out how to get to the bottom of that hole yet and this is probably the second most terrifying area in the game so far.

Yes. It is the most subtle hint I can give to you about it. You should also wait before it makes contact to you. Also don't jump into the same hole as it dropped. Go to the area where you find lot of those little black men. There is a new elevator. And do you have Blood Rock already?

Fuck that. I have to take him out at least once. Does he... uh... does he respawn?

Of course he respawns. It wouldn't be fun if he didn't right?

edit.
Thanks a ton for the help, I will try to make a new character with all that (lone survivor, lots of vitality, upgrading weapons (didint know this) and the saw cleaver). Will get into it now! Thanks, the game looks and feels so good I dont want to be scared about the difficulty, anything helps, will try to finish the first area :D

No problem! Just come back here or the DLC OT if you have anything more to ask about stuff or need any tips. Someone will alway help you. Just one more thing about your damage output that you will get some bonuses from having high damage stat (Strength, Skill, Bloodtinge, Arcane) but the biggest factor is always going to be how upgraded the weapon is.

Difficulty of these games is often exaggerated since the difficulty comes way more from mechanics being little bit obtuse etc. So getting information that points you to right direction will at least from my experience help a lot.

BumRush

Doing echo farming runs on Middle Loft when you get invaded almost every time...probably my favorite part of bloodborne right now...trying to get Arcane up for the
moonlight sword
and I got it from 20 to 34 in about 45 minutes

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
In Mensis there is only one more.

Intriguing! Where would the others be, I wonder (don't answer!!!). I have no idea where that other boss battle would be... I thought I'd explored most of Mensis.

I'll wait till I've done the DLC/Chalice Dungeons to find out.

Speaking of the latter, does the first Chalice dungeon only go to level 3...?

Yes. It is the most subtle hint I can give to you about it. You should also wait before it makes contact to you. Also don't jump into the same hole as it dropped. Go to the area where you find lot of those little black men. There is a new elevator. And do you have Blood Rock already?

Okay... I have the gesture and I remember the area. I haven't got the Blood Rock, no. Didn't know there was one!

Of course he respawns. It wouldn't be fun if he didn't right?

Fun. Yeah. :D

Imma nail that bitch to the cathedral door! Is there anywhere I can lead him that has a bit more room? I think he's only giving me trouble because of the environment.

RiggyRob

Intriguing! Where would the others be, I wonder (don't answer!!!). I have no idea where that other boss battle would be... I thought I'd explored most of Mensis.

Okay... I have the gesture and I remember the area. I haven't got the Blood Rock, no. Didn't know there was one!

Fun. Yeah. :D

Imma nail that bitch to the cathedral door! Is there anywhere I can lead him that has a bit more room? I think he's only giving me trouble because of the environment.

Yep, first Chalice Dungeon only goes to layer 3.

To deal with the ogre in DLC, just lead him down the stairs until you've got enough room to run past him.

myco666

Most Chalices only go to level 3. I don't remember there being more than one that had 4 layers. Just check every room and make the next Chalice so that you can remove the old one.

You get Blood Rock from where that thing was before you dropped it. You can get to there from the Micholas boss area. There is a locked door in the beginning and you get the key from that area.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, first Chalice Dungeon only goes to layer 3.

To deal with the ogre in DLC, just lead him down the stairs until you've got enough room to run past him.

Cheers. I have to kill him at least once, though.

Most Chalices only go to level 3. I don't remember there being more than one that had 4 layers. Just check every room and make the next Chalice so that you can remove the old one.

You get Blood Rock from where that thing was before you dropped it. You can get to there from the Micholas boss area. There is a locked door in the beginning and you get the key from that area.

Nice one, man!

embalm

I just took down my second one last night.
I actually found the opposite was true for me. The first one took me forever and I kept dodging away and had a really hard time trying to find an opening. I relied on dodging his jump attack, getting in two hits, and backing away until he repeated it. I also blew through bone ash, bullets, and everything else like it was candy. I lost count of the number of tries it took me to beat him and when I did I was out of vials, bullets, and most of everything else.

The second battle I went in with an offensive mindset. I dodged towards him and could clear all of his attacks. Getting beside him or behind him while he finished his attacks and I could get in 2 to 4 attacks before dodging away to recover stamina. It took me 3 tries, but the battles were quick and I was close every time.

I stilll LOOOVE DS2 the most but man I really love this game... most def my GOTY... this game has atmosphere like no other..loved the dlc but could have been longer with more areas and less enemies....fishing helmet...-_- makes me glad I never got the newer version of DS2 the OG version is clearly the best...

My second plat ever.. :p
love this boss..... Lady Mariaaaaaaaa

also probably the one thing in this game that Souls just does better is pvp.... this was the only invasion of my ng+ game... wish all ares of the game was like this... I was really over leveled a little... My first duel? Lol rip in pieces PEPPERONIMONSTER

wW2ibvU.png

9YQ9ORm.png

f0H6GeA.png

MPZK9Yk.png

QO0TuaP.png

<3

holy shit I cant wait for DS3.

I saved my coins for that ending.

RiggyRob

Episode 12, Pimmsy vs. The One Reborn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmdxprH9i5k

Pretty simple fight when you know you have to kill the the Bell Maidens first and dodge the bloody drops from above. There was some bullshit in Pimmsy's first go when she got stuck on pots and the wall and ended up dying in the staircase, so I had to cut that out.

I find it really weird how you can roll and break through pots, but you can't just sprint through them. Surely you'd be moving faster while sprinting and cause more force to it?

Episode 12, Pimmsy vs. The One Reborn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmdxprH9i5k

Pretty simple fight when you know you have to kill the the Bell Maidens first and dodge the bloody drops from above. There was some bullshit in Pimmsy's first go when she got stuck on pots and the wall and ended up dying in the staircase, so I had to cut that out.

I find it really weird how you can roll and break through pots, but you can't just sprint through them. Surely you'd be moving faster while sprinting and cause more force to it?
That is such a simple fight to me now. I don't even lock on against him. I just get in close, wail on him and dodge out when he either starts kicking or starts dropping bodies on me.
Pimmsy should use two hand mode with the BoM, best form to use it unlocked and I think it even does more damage.

Matt Frost

No problem! Just come back here or the DLC OT if you have anything more to ask about stuff or need any tips. Someone will alway help you. Just one more thing about your damage output that you will get some bonuses from having high damage stat (Strength, Skill, Bloodtinge, Arcane) but the biggest factor is always going to be how upgraded the weapon is.

Difficulty of these games is often exaggerated since the difficulty comes way more from mechanics being little bit obtuse etc. So getting information that points you to right direction will at least from my experience help a lot.

Definitely! Went back to the game and now is way better than before, at least I reached further than ever, got slayed by two giant things on a bridge, but that was something. Great advice!

Tempeted to get the DLC since it adds new cool looking and deadly weapons to the game

neoism

Doing echo farming runs on Middle Loft when you get invaded almost every time...probably my favorite part of bloodborne right now...trying to get Arcane up for the
moonlight sword
and I got it from 20 to 34 in about 45 minutes

i do love being invaded but the 1st floor lecture building farming is prob the best ingame for just straight echoes on ng+ you can get about 6 mil in and hour... with all three echo runes

RiggyRob

That is such a simple fight to me now. I don't even lock on against him. I just get in close, wail on him and dodge out when he either starts kicking or starts dropping bodies on me.
Pimmsy should use two hand mode with the BoM, best form to use it unlocked and I think it even does more damage.

She does, but obviously you can't use the gun at the same time so she has to switch it up every now and then. I think she prefers the moveset of the Rifle Spear, but being able to do 3000 damage in one stamina bar on a boss with BoM is fantastic for her.

She does, but obviously you can't use the gun at the same time so she has to switch it up every now and then. I think she prefers the moveset of the Rifle Spear, but being able to do 3000 damage in one stamina bar on a boss with BoM is fantastic for her.
I think for the most part if I want to parry something I switch to a different weapon. I think I just have two different mindsets depending on what weapon I'm using.

myco666

Ebrietas against Bowblade in NG+. This fight was already easy with Bloodtinge builds but this is just plain stupid. These DLC weapons are super OP.

Definitely! Went back to the game and now is way better than before, at least I reached further than ever, got slayed by two giant things on a bridge, but that was something. Great advice!

Tempeted to get the DLC since it adds new cool looking and deadly weapons to the game

Good to hear that you managed to make progress after the tips! DLC is really good but it is really late game area so if you stick with it to the end I would highly recommend to get it.

BumRush

Finally got the plat (after taking a 5 or 6 month break)...I'm going to switch to FFVII port (3X speed is a GODSEND) and Wolfenstein: Old Blood for a while, then come back to finish the DLC

Ebrietas against Bowblade in NG+. This fight was already easy with Bloodtinge builds but this is just plain stupid. These DLC weapons are super OP.

Good to hear that you managed to make progress after the tips! DLC is really good but it is really late game area so if you stick with it to the end I would highly recommend to get it.

No offense, but I kind of wanted the frenzy to kill you when you were doing the brush off gesture. Would have been hilarious.

Joei

Can someone explain or link to somewhere that can explain what the heck Chalice dungeons are and how to use those alters? I had no clue the first time I played and have no clue now. I used alter one with the Pthumeru chalice I guess and beat the three bosses. But I imagine there are more on the first alter that I can do, but it says it'll erase my progress, like if I try and do root chalices (whatever those are)... that can't be right, or is it? What happens if I get more of those chalices and try and use alter one, does it erase everything? I've tried looking up info, even went to the Bloodborne wiki page, but it feels like I'm playing FF13 learning about the l'cie and fal'cie cie'th and whatever. It all just sounds like jargon and non-sense.

BumRush

Can someone explain or link to somewhere that can explain what the heck Chalice dungeons are and how to use those alters? I had no clue the first time I played and have no clue now. I used alter one with the Pthumeru chalice I guess and beat the three bosses. But I imagine there are more on the first alter that I can do, but it says it'll erase my progress, like if I try and do root chalices (whatever those are)... that can't be right, or is it? What happens if I get more of those chalices and try and use alter one, does it erase everything? I've tried looking up info, even went to the Bloodborne wiki page, but it feels like I'm playing FF13 learning about the l'cie and fal'cie cie'th and whatever. It all just sounds like jargon and non-sense.

Lol...yeah they're super confusing.

Basically, you can make chalices at any of those altars. They give you 6 so you can keep multiple open, but the order of the altars means nothing. The first chalice that you beat doesn't give you any great farming benefits so feel free to override it once it's complete. Others, like Ihyll cursed, you might want to keep open.

As long as you have a chalice and the requesite materials, you can build it. Make sense?

Dahbomb

You do a Chalice dungeon (in your case Pthumeru) and each dungeon has 3 levels. Usually going through these dungeons you get the chalice for the next tier.

So you get a new chalice and you run through that next one. Most of these are fixed layout Chalice dungeons but those labeled Root are randomized dungeons. Each Chalice tends to be harder than the previous one.

Each Chalice also has a Depth number which is basically their difficulty from 1-5. 5 is the hardest.

Each new Chalice type requires it's own set of materials to make. The harder ones take rarer items to make (like Red Jelly). Eventually you will unlock all of them.

People use high Depth Roots to farm stuff but it takes a while to even unlock them. Also later on you have Cursed/Defiled Chalice will lower your max HP by half. Furthermore you can add offerings to these high level Chalice which add additional difficulty modifiers on them to give even more loot (like a Sage's Offering).

The Short Root chalice is used for Co op if you get it. Sinister Chalice are PvP dungeons.

Joei

Lol...yeah they're super confusing.

Basically, you can make chalices at any of those altars. They give you 6 so you can keep multiple open, but the order of the altars means nothing. The first chalice that you beat doesn't give you any great farming benefits so feel free to override it once it's complete. Others, like Ihyll cursed, you might want to keep open.

As long as you have a chalice and the requesite materials, you can build it. Make sense?

So if I use Pthumeru on alter one or two or five, it doesn't make any difference other than they're more difficult? And since I have three chalices, the Pthumeru, the root and the central Pth., should I erase what I did on alter one Pth. and do the Central Pth. on alter one now?

You do a Chalice dungeon (in your case Pthumeru) and each dungeon has 3 levels. Usually going through these dungeons you get the chalice for the next tier.

So you get a new chalice and you run through that next one. Most of these are fixed layout Chalice dungeons but those labeled Root are randomized dungeons. Each Chalice tends to be harder than the previous one.

Each Chalice also has a Depth number which is basically their difficulty from 1-5. 5 is the hardest.

Each new Chalice type requires it's own set of materials to make. The harder ones take rarer items to make (like Red Jelly). Eventually you will unlock all of them.

People use high Depth Roots to farm stuff but it takes a while to even unlock them. Also later on you have Cursed/Defiled Chalice will lower your max HP by half. Furthermore you can add offerings to these high level Chalice which add additional difficulty modifiers on them to give even more loot (like a Sage's Offering).

The Short Root chalice is used for Co op if you get it. Sinister Chalice are PvP dungeons.

I imagine this will make more sense the further I get into the game and more chalices I do. I guess my question at this point is what I should do now. I only have three chalices, and went through the initial one on alter one.

And thanks to both of you for helping explain things.

Dahbomb

So if I use Pthumeru on alter one or two or five, it doesn't make any difference other than they're more difficult? And since I have three chalices, the Pthumeru, the root and the central Pth., should I erase what I did on alter one Pth. and do the Central Pth. on alter one now?
The different altars are just there in case you find a really cool Chalice that you need to farm again and again for particular items. None of the earlier ones are like that so you are fine replacing your current Altar with a new Chalice.

And the different Altars are all identical, they have no impact on difficulty. It's the Chalice themselves that have different difficulties. So Central Pth is more difficult than the first Pth (which is the one you should be doing right now).

Joei

The different altars are just there in case you find a really cool Chalice that you need to farm again and again for particular items. None of the earlier ones are like that so you are fine replacing your current Altar with a new Chalice.

And the different Altars are all identical, they have no impact on difficulty. It's the Chalice themselves that have different difficulties. So Central Pth is more difficult than the first Pth (which is the one you should be doing right now).

Ooooh, thank you very much for clearing that up.

With the root ones, those ones change up every time, correct? Is that the main difference between those and the regular ones?

Top Bottom