• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Cool. Is there a point to the side quests? Two early sidequest spoilers:
I got the elderly woman who swore at me and nothing happened. That's okay, but then I met this window kid. He gave me a music box, which I accidently figured out on Father boss, and I found the red jewel. When I gave it back all he did was cry. I couldn't even bring him to the safe spot to protect him.
Visit her whenever you kill a boss :) and
check the pig under the bridge to father G down in the canals

I joined someone's NG+ fight against
cleric beast
and he had
an AI hunter that looked like the second boss fighting with us
is this something you unlock after you beat the game?

I joined someone's NG+ fight against
cleric beast
and he had
an AI hunter that looked like the second boss fighting with us
is this something you unlock after you beat the game?

You can do it in NG as well. There's a dev message on the ground somewhere saying "Ring the bell if you need assistance." If you ring the bell while standing near it, you'll summon the NPC.

Struct09

Pthumerian Queen
down. I really enjoyed that boss fight, it was a nice change of pace from the four boss fights leading up to her :D

Semper88

Was helping a friend yesterday and he was afk while we got invaded. This girl just ran up to me and one shotted me with a cannon.. O_O

I was like really?! :(

Durden77

Just found a super-cheese way of killing
Micolash
by getting into a certain spot and just shooting him to death. Is this widely known?

myco666

Well for one they should have made soo you really had the best it 3 times and not chest like most ppl did. :/

DS2 has also really high percentage (higher than BB) on platinum and that requires you to go halfway through NG++. Using save back ups to get all three endings only make getting the platinum faster.

Just found a super-cheese way of killing
Micolash
by getting into a certain spot and just shooting him to death. Is this widely known?

Well this is very build specific tactic since I don't think you can kill him with blunderbuss or any non upgraded gun for that matter.

Do you guys get msges from people you help defeating bosses? I have gotten a few so far and was jus wondering. Wish there was something similar to a sunbro group for online :(

Bloodletting
looks messed up as hell and the
queen fight is disturbing with the blood, bleeding stomach and baby cries....
Felt rather weak though compared to the descendant and abhorrent asshole

Putty

Guys, Castle Cainhurst or Nightmare Mensis. Which boss first? I've scoured all of Cainhurst for items etc etc, and got right to the top of the roof when the lure of spending 70k blobs stopped me from entering the boss scrap. Mensis i've only secured the initial 2 lamps. im lvl 79 btw.

Vitten

I got the platinum last night. I'm honestly surprised the percentage is so high. I'm attributing it to no difficulty options.

Well, it's a challenging but not a very complicated plat.. Don't have to go out of your way on an epic farming tour to collect or upgrade hundreds of items like in the previous games.
Also, the Souls crowd tends to be a bit more hardcore than in your average game.

Jobbs

Banned
It sucks baaaaad.

So the "the reason there are so few weapons is because they're all great" argument doesn't entirely hold up.

I'm dinking around trying to get summoned for the hell of it, but for some reason every time I ring my small bell, a minute later I get disconnected from network and booted to main menu. Normally I have no trouble getting summoned.

Ferrio

Banned
So the "the reason there are so few weapons is because they're all great" argument doesn't entirely hold up.

I'm dinking around trying to get summoned for the hell of it, but for some reason every time I ring my small bell, a minute later I get disconnected from network and booted to main menu. Normally I have no trouble getting summoned.

Shut down the game completely, restart it.

Toxi

Banned
It's kinda the exception to the rule, though I don't think it's too awful. You can still do a Stake Driver playthrough without being crippled.

Everything else I've tried out is great. Even the weapons that don't entirely work (Logarius Wheel's two-handed L2 is so goddamn pointless) are still useful in different ways.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So, yesterday me and two buddy's went to a multiplex cinema to play some ps4 on the big screen.

After some Driveclub / CoD they asked me to show them some Bloodbourne. I load my save game at the frontier mensis and see that i have zero bloodviles since i consumed them all fighting the boss for the first time.

My friends tell me to just go for it and show the boss fight. I use the shortcut and start the fight. My field of vision full with Bloodbourne madness FUCKING LOUD 5.1 audio and i fight "the one" without any bloodviles at my disposal! What a rush.

Within the first ten seconds i get hit, halving my hp right at the beginning.
I was getting pumped - i back up... and play with a cool head. The fight goes on for a good 10 min. and after so many "close to being hit" moments , the boss rips his arms out and swings them at me! My friends are screaming now. But i prevail - i killed that son of a bitch without using a single blood vial - my friends don't understand why i jump of my seat and scream "fuck yeah!".

What a moment.

d0a173-1430038127.jpg

Picture doesn't do the size of the screen justice - it was fucking big.

Jobbs

Banned
It's kinda the exception to the rule, though I don't think it's too awful. You can still do a Stake Driver playthrough without being crippled.

Everything else I've tried out is great. Even the weapons that don't entirely work (Logarius Wheel's two-handed L2 is so goddamn pointless) are still useful in different ways.

To me it seems like a couple of weapons are so good it feels pointless to use others outside of "just because". To wit, Hunter's Axe and Blade of Mercy. Nothing else is really in the same league, IMO.

Woo just finished the game, level 75.

It was... not as hard as I was hoping. I was stuck on
Blood Starved Beast
for a full day, but nothing else put up too much of a fight. I actually thought
Martyr Logarius
was one of the best boss battles in the game, which is surprising since he's optional. One of the hardest bosses as well.

All in all, a fantastic game. Loved the atmosphere, music, combat, enemies, setting. So much more horrific and terrifying that the Souls games. Some truly fantastic level design as well. I do feel like there should have been at least one harder area at the end of the game because it all came to a close rather abruptly, but at least there were no real dud areas for me. All in all, my series ranking would be Dark Souls > Bloodborne > Demon's > Dark Souls 2.

Now, time to get cracking on those chalice dungeons. I've barely scratched the surface there.

Anybody have useful tips for M
artyr
L
ogarius
?

stay close and do quick hit and roll sides tactics, he is super easy to parry and visceral attacks are effective. When he starts charging up you have to stand behind him and hit the living shit out of him to make him vulnerable to parry attacks (and to any stagger i think). If he sticks his sword in the ground you can break it by regular attacks or malatoves

To me it seems like a couple of weapons are so good it feels pointless to use others outside of "just because". To wit, Hunter's Axe and Blade of Mercy. Nothing else is really in the same league, IMO.

I like the movesets for nearly all of the weapons. That's reason enough to use them for me. And they can pretty much all dish out plenty of damage with the right gem setup.

Mogwai

Woo just finished the game, level 75.

It was... not as hard as I was hoping. I was stuck on
Blood Starved Beast
for a full day, but nothing else put up too much of a fight. I actually thought
Martyr Logarius
was one of the best boss battles in the game, which is surprising since he's optional. One of the hardest bosses as well.

All in all, a fantastic game. Loved the atmosphere, music, combat, enemies, setting. So much more horrific and terrifying that the Souls games. Some truly fantastic level design as well. I do feel like there should have been at least one harder area at the end of the game because it all came to a close rather abruptly, but at least there were no real dud areas for me. All in all, my series ranking would be Dark Souls > Bloodborne > Demon's > Dark Souls 2.

Now, time to get cracking on those chalice dungeons. I've barely scratched the surface there.
The real headache challenge starts with the later chalice dungeons. Get ready to get rekt ;)

Arjen

So, yesterday me and two buddy's went to a multiplex cinema to play some ps4 on the big screen.

After some Driveclub / CoD they asked me to show them some Bloodbourne. I load my save game at the frontier mensis and see that i have zero bloodviles since i consumed them all fighting the boss for the first time.

My friends tell me to just go for it and show the boss fight. I use the shortcut and start the fight. My field of vision full with Bloodbourne madness FUCKING LOUD 5.1 audio and i fight "the one" without any bloodviles at my disposal! What a rush.

I was getting pumped - i back up... and play with a cool head. The fight goes on for a good 10 min. and after so many "close to being hit" moments , the boss rips his arms out and swings them at me! My friends are screaming now. But i prevail - i killed that son of a bitch without using a single blood vial - my friends don't understand why i jump of my seat and scream "fuck yeah!".

What a moment.

d0a173-1430038127.jpg

Wow that's awesome. Must have been quite the rush.

TheBear

I'm finding the co-op system super frustrating. I've found the first two bosses, and am struggling so I tried the beckoning bell. So far I've burned 3 insight on matchmaking and am yet to connect to anyone and then the game boots me back to the menu, meaning I lose the insight. Fucking hell this is annoying. Is there any way around this?

danthefan

Ahhh god, Old Yharnam, having to do everything while under
a constant hail of machine gun fire :(

The game is hard enough as it is!

I'm finding the co-op system super frustrating. I've found the first two bosses, and am struggling so I tried the beckoning bell. So far I've burned 3 insight on matchmaking and am yet to connect to anyone and then the game boots me back to the menu, meaning I lose the insight. Fucking hell this is annoying. Is there any way around this?
Yes. Learn to beat bosses on your own.

Jyrii

Banned
Beat A
mygdala
on my second try. Though I used wiki to see why I didn't cause much dmg at all.

Just chalice bosses and the
last bosses
left now.

Feindflug

What a moment.

d0a173-1430038127.jpg

Haha, that sounds fuckin' amazing man. :)

What happens if I
Swear Oath to the Vilebloods
?
Oh, this is a Covenant, basically. Are they repercussions for switching?

No repercussions for switching, if you want to change covenants you just change the last (oath) rune.

Hey fuck you M
artyr
L
ogarius
, actually no, fuck you Miyazaki, hey I got an idea, how about when you remove shields and replace it with a parry system players are forced to use to counter attacks, WHY DON'T YOU FUCKING MAKE IT WORK INSTEAD OF RANDOMLY MISSING 50% OF THE TIME YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE.

Also why the fuck is the parry system connected to a consumable for fuck's sakes, I mean okay healing items are consumable, whatever. But seriously, making the damage counter item a consumable? FUCK YOU.

I'm going to have to start save scumming and copying my save to a USB before attempting a boss so I can just copy it back when I've burned through my stores of items trying to kill it because I don't have time to endlessly farm for your stupid consumable shit while trying to kill your bullshit boss so fuck you Miyazaki.

danthefan

The game is basically saying "in case you were beginning to forget this is a Souls game, here's a friendly reminder."

Yep my thoughts exactly. Died once trying to fight the
hunter guy,
just couldn't cope with him and the
beasts and the gunfire.
Second time I managed to lure him to a spot I couldn't get
hit by the gun.

Really starting to get into this game now, it's so fucking good. Wandering around a level for an hour before finding the shortcut that brings you back to the start and saying to yourself "ooooohhhhh this is where I am" is for me one of the most satisfying things in gaming.

Madridy

Yep my thoughts exactly. Died once trying to fight the
hunter guy,
just couldn't cope with him and the
beasts and the gunfire.
Second time I managed to lure him to a spot I couldn't get
hit by the gun.

I found luring the beasts to sheltered locations works best using pebbles and throwing knives, just have to take your time each time you restart this location. This location was the worst non-boss for me, by far highest death count, simply because I was too stupid and wanted to explore each and every corner.

Really starting to get into this game now, it's so fucking good. Wandering around a level for an hour before finding the shortcut that brings you back to the start and saying to yourself "ooooohhhhh this is where I am" is for me one of the most satisfying things in gaming.

This is so true, 2nd best feeling in the game after defeating a boss you were stuck on for a while.

myco666

Try to help some other players so you can get better at those bosses, plus you get one insight for helping others beating a boss and you get echoes so you can level up.

You can't help that early in the game because you can get small resonant bell only after you have 10 insight. No way to acquire that much before beating Father G.

Ferr986

Ah fuck me, I wanted to leave the boss of Nightmare Frontier alone with my alt char so I would have that place for invasions but I realized I'm gonna miss Loran's chalice if I do that (thus also the later Ptumeru chalices).

Seriously, fuck having to redo Chalices on second chars...

Ushiwaka

Guys, I need help.

Where can I get some Ritual Blood (2)? I have 4, but I need 6 for Central Pthumerian Chalice. I tried going back and clearing the 3 layers of Pthumerian chalice again, but I got nothing.

Help :(

Mogwai

Hey fuck you M
artyr
L
ogarius
, actually no, fuck you Miyazaki, hey I got an idea, how about when you remove shields and replace it with a parry system players are forced to use to counter attacks, WHY DON'T YOU FUCKING MAKE IT WORK INSTEAD OF RANDOMLY MISSING 50% OF THE TIME YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE.

Also why the fuck is the parry system connected to a consumable for fuck's sakes, I mean okay healing items are consumable, whatever. But seriously, making the damage counter item a consumable? FUCK YOU.

I'm going to have to start save scumming and copying my save to a USB before attempting a boss so I can just copy it back when I've burned through my stores of items trying to kill it because I don't have time to endlessly farm for your stupid consumable shit while trying to kill your bullshit boss so fuck you Miyazaki.
Somebody needs vacation?

Btw, it's completely legit to kill ML without parrying.

Hey fuck you M
artyr
L
ogarius

And here I was praising the sun that it wasn't like Dark Souls 2 parrying which the timing didn't make sense most of the time.

Also, some attacks it is just simply better to dodge and attack if the enemy is being aggressive and fast.
I'm probably still gonna try to parry attacks like that because I'm a parry addict :(

Rektash

Hey fuck you M
artyr
L
ogarius

Posting after dying is truly never a good idea :D.

Posting after dying is truly never a good idea :D.

But it feels good to rage after being frustrated at a boss for a few hours :D

I'll probably try a different approach tomorrow, parrying is so unreliable in this game, ML isn't the only boss I had trouble when trying to do it "the right way" instead of cheesing and it's stupid because they took away shields and replaced them with this.

I'll probably try a different approach tomorrow, parrying is so unreliable in this game,
They did parrying right in this game. There are attacks asking to be parried, but also attacks where you must be on your feet instead.

A parry happens if you manage to land a bullet when an enemy attack's damage frames. Your pistol has some start up frames so there's still a bit of timing involved but the way parrying works is actually pretty logical and it's just a matter of knowing what attacks your enemy will use.

Also, you can parry from a distance. This makes it harder to reposte but it helps make up for lack of shield. You can also sometimes trade hit but still get the reposte, which will restore the damage you've taken.

Top Bottom