• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Hey fuck you M
artyr
L
ogarius
, actually no, fuck you Miyazaki, hey I got an idea, how about when you remove shields and replace it with a parry system players are forced to use to counter attacks, WHY DON'T YOU FUCKING MAKE IT WORK INSTEAD OF RANDOMLY MISSING 50% OF THE TIME YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE.

Also why the fuck is the parry system connected to a consumable for fuck's sakes, I mean okay healing items are consumable, whatever. But seriously, making the damage counter item a consumable? FUCK YOU.

I'm going to have to start save scumming and copying my save to a USB before attempting a boss so I can just copy it back when I've burned through my stores of items trying to kill it because I don't have time to endlessly farm for your stupid consumable shit while trying to kill your bullshit boss so fuck you Miyazaki.

You don't need to parry him. Seems like you want to beat him easy by just parrying him over and over again.

JonCha

Thanks for those who gave me tips for
Rom
, even though I just ended up co-oping with someone for it. I lost patience in the end.

Anyway, it seems like the
crow lady
isn't appearing for me at all because I haven't engaged with any part of the quest line despite the wiki saying she would appear as a hostile enemy after the above boss. I'm guessing this is a case of the wiki being wrong and me mistakenly relying on it and forgetting the game (in terms of Souls games) is still fairly new?

Adachi

Banned
I have a hypothetical question, is there a realistic way of getting a potential sequel of Bloodborne up to a stable 60fps on PS4 without taking a hit to the visuals or scale of the game?

I'm not one that's crying for 60fps but I'd gladly take it over further graphical improvements if it was possible for the next game, I know that From Software aren't exactly the best devs from a technical perspective, but imo that's one of the benefits that Japan Studios involvement should bring to the table, it should've done that for the first game already which is why I'm a little disappointed in the loading and framerate issues.

So with more experience in developing for the platform, probably better development tools, maybe updates that make more RAM available for game development, less focus on improving the graphical fidelity even more (clipping could be reduced though) and a bigger involvement of Sony Japan on the technical side of things, would 60fps be feasable and would it even be something you'd want?

Just something I'm wondering about after almost having finished my 5th playthrough. Lol

Auctopus

But it feels good to rage after being frustrated at a boss for a few hours :D

I'll probably try a different approach tomorrow, parrying is so unreliable in this game, ML isn't the only boss I had trouble when trying to do it "the right way" instead of cheesing and it's stupid because they took away shields and replaced them with this.

Dodging is your main tool for avoiding damage, why would the game give you a damage-countering system that was unlimited and could never miss? Also, it doesn't miss 50% of the time, it misses when you miss.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Question about the ending unlock criteria:

I just finished the game after consuming two umbilical cords and chose the awakening ending. I went spoiler free on my first play through so I didn't know anything about multiple endings and didn't back up my save.

My question is: do the umbilical cords all unlock again in NG+ - thus allowing me to do the save backup trick at the end of my second run - or will the game still think I've consumed two cords even if they were in the last play though?

Ferr986

Hmmm, wanted to take my BLT character to 100 for the meta but now I'm starting to think of stopping at 80.

At this level there are the later areas of NG and the first of NG+ for co-op, and invasions are plenty everywhere, so maybe it's the best range for overall online action.

I have 30VIT/20END (or is it 19?) with runes and 49 BLT and I'm doing really fine on PvP.

The only problem will be going down to the later Chalices, but maybe it's not worth if I stay at this level (well, the later runes would be fine...)

UV-6

I just finished the game after consuming two umbilical cords and chose the awakening ending. I went spoiler free on my first play through so I didn't know anything about multiple endings and didn't back up my save.

My question is: do the umbilical cords all unlock again in NG+ - thus allowing me to do the save backup trick at the end of my second run - or will the game still think I've consumed two cords even if they were in the last play though?

It all resets so you have to get them again to get the ending you want.

R1CHO

I'll probably try a different approach tomorrow, parrying is so unreliable in this game, ML isn't the only boss I had trouble when trying to do it "the right way" instead of cheesing and it's stupid because they took away shields and replaced them with this.

Parrying is not the right way, is just another tool, if your strategy of choice is to spam the gun trying to parry all the bosses then you are the one doing it the wrong way imo.

I killed that boss without parrying, and definitely without cheesing. Just have some patient man, and study the enemy before pulling the trigger.

Arjen

The cords reset I think. I did the first ending eating 3 cords, there are 4 new cords in NG+ and I got to do the other endings with the save trick.

Blackthorn

The cords reset I think. I did the first ending eating 3 cords, there are 4 new cords in NG+ and I got to do the other endings with the save trick.
Nice, thanks. Happy to do two playthroughs but I'm unlikely to have time/inclination for a third.

Keihart

Somebody needs vacation?

Btw, it's completely legit to kill ML without parrying.

Anyway , the 5 bullets you can get for some health are enough, you only really use the parry on it's second stage. Learning to dodge in his first stage it's way more important.

Keihart

I have a hypothetical question, is there a realistic way of getting a potential sequel of Bloodborne up to a stable 60fps on PS4 without taking a hit to the visuals or scale of the game?

I'm not one that's crying for 60fps but I'd gladly take it over further graphical improvements if it was possible for the next game, I know that From Software aren't exactly the best devs from a technical perspective, but imo that's one of the benefits that Japan Studios involvement should bring to the table, it should've done that for the first game already which is why I'm a little disappointed in the loading and framerate issues.

So with more experience in developing for the platform, probably better development tools, maybe updates that make more RAM available for game development, less focus on improving the graphical fidelity even more (clipping could be reduced though) and a bigger involvement of Sony Japan on the technical side of things, would 60fps be feasable and would it even be something you'd want?

Just something I'm wondering about after almost having finished my 5th playthrough. Lol

Being completly honest i find that the performance of BB it's pretty spot on for me. I didn't mind so much the performance of Demon's Souls, but it had some horrible performing stages, BB seems to keep over 30fps almost all the time so i don't see the point, maybe if it was something like Devil May Cry, but as it is, i find 30 fps more than enough.

Just beat M
artyr
L
ogarius
again and he wasn't too bad on NG+. I even
managed to get a few parries in ;D

Then again I am probably super overleveled by now. I can't get coop in chalice dungeons at all anymore.

What level stats should i be aiming for with a build mainly based around high damage?

I'm using the saw cleaver and the tonitrus

Is it arcane that increases the tonitrus's electrical damage?

Hypron

Nice, thanks. Happy to do two playthroughs but I'm unlikely to have time/inclination for a third.

Tbh, a third playthrough would take you < 5 hours (probably between 2 and 3) if you just wanted to get through it as fast as possible. You only have like 6 or 7 compulsory bosses and you should be pretty OP by then.

myco666

What level stats should i be aiming for with a build mainly based around high damage?

I'm using the saw cleaver and the tonitrus

Is it arcane that increases the tonitrus's electrical damage?

If you use only Saw Cleaver and Tonitrus stick with Strenght. Both weapons have C scaling in it but it should give you atleast some damage boost. Tonitrus has D scaling with Arcane even when +10 so I would say not to put points in Arcane.

Skii

Hey fuck you M
artyr
L
ogarius
, actually no, fuck you Miyazaki, hey I got an idea, how about when you remove shields and replace it with a parry system players are forced to use to counter attacks, WHY DON'T YOU FUCKING MAKE IT WORK INSTEAD OF RANDOMLY MISSING 50% OF THE TIME YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE.

Also why the fuck is the parry system connected to a consumable for fuck's sakes, I mean okay healing items are consumable, whatever. But seriously, making the damage counter item a consumable? FUCK YOU.

I'm going to have to start save scumming and copying my save to a USB before attempting a boss so I can just copy it back when I've burned through my stores of items trying to kill it because I don't have time to endlessly farm for your stupid consumable shit while trying to kill your bullshit boss so fuck you Miyazaki.

You are not forced at all to use counter attacks. It's perfectly possible to go through the whole game without having to parry once. The gameplay isn't focused on the guns as much as expected.

Also, parrying is completely reliable. Very similar to how it was in Dark Souls which had the best parry system before this game. It's also the easiest game to parry in as well (for obvious reasons).

LOL taking away shields is the best thing they've done so far in the Souls series. Completely changed up the focus of the game and made it far more aggressive.

I beat him without parrying at all. I didn't even know he could be parried until I came on here afterwards.

If you use only Saw Cleaver and Tonitrus stick with Strenght. Both weapons have C scaling in it but it should give you atleast some damage boost. Tonitrus has D scaling with Arcane even when +10 so I would say not to put points in Arcane.

40 is the reqconmended cut off for levelling past with strength right? And thanks will do

Zocano

You don't need to parry him. Seems like you want to beat him easy by just parrying him over and over again.

Well, it does trivialize almost every fight in the game.

40 is the reqconmended cut off for levelling past with strength right? And thanks will do

You actually get really good scaling from 40 to 50, I like to stop at 50 if you are all in on a stat and don't care for minmaxing to a certain soul level.

danthefan

Guys what do you do when you've accumulated a good amount of souls? I have enough for about 4 or 5 levels, would it be prudent to go spend them? I'm in Old Yharnam, I can get through the area quickly enough I guess now, or do you not worry about losing them, or what? General rule?

Guys what do you do when you've accumulated a good amount of souls? I have enough for about 4 or 5 levels, would it be prudent to go spend them? I'm in Old Yharnam, I can get through the area quickly enough I guess now, or do you not worry about losing them, or what? General rule?

I level up as soon as possible when i have enough echoes. No need to risk it and no benefit for keeping them for long.

Arjen

Unless you're saving up for a weapon, just go spend em

Late Flag

LOL, R
om
in chalice is fking ridiculous. Is it just me or did she gain a new aoe attack beside her two aoes in the main game?

I had trouble with this too, until I realized that you can use the pillars for cover from the ice attacks. Kill the "helpers" and when the boss the ice attack, just be sure you're up against a pillar. If you look up, you'll see the pillar block the attack. Prey slaughtered on my try after I learned that.

thechemist

Completed this today as a first time souls player, bought this mainly due to the hype on GAF. Utterly fantastic from start to finish. I was addicted even after dying every 5 seconds in the first bonfire area, but each time I was getting better slowly. I beat the Cleric Beast after 4 attempts and I thought I may have a chance of beating this game, especially considering that I rarely play games on hard mode. After beating first and second boss I found it easier, not because the game was easier but I was improving every time.

Overall my favourite games since Last of Us and many other games I bought have been put on the back burner due to this.

Some stats regarding my completion:
- 39.5 hours to complete
- Level 85 (Focused mainly on Strength, Vitality and Endurance)
- Ran with Saw Cleaver + 10, Ludvigs +9 and Blunderbuss

I never played any Chalice Dungeons and I missed some bosses so will focus on these with my next play through (I never replay games except the MGS series).

Blackthorn

Tbh, a third playthrough would take you < 5 hours (probably between 2 and 3) if you just wanted to get through it as fast as possible. You only have like 6 or 7 compulsory bosses and you should be pretty OP by then.
Oh, given the jump in difficulty in NG+ I assumed ++ would be a brick wall.

Defiled Chalice complete! :D

A
mygdala
is pretty easy. It's just the risk of being one-shot that makes it hard. Also once I figured out that
staying underneath her once she rips her arms off
makes the last bit of the fight much easier, I beat her first try.

One of the worst parts about the fight is how the dude clips you through the spire-walls with his scythe attack. Unbelievable.

Jyrii

Banned
All non-chalice bosses killed and still can't win G
ehrman

His range is way too long and I can't time my parries correctly. Also I cannot dodge that air attack.

Whew, finally beat Chalice B
lood Starved Beast
in A
iling
L
oran
. I wonder what boss will be-
*gets mauled by Abhorrent Beast*

Oni Jazar

ML Down!

Damn it took me 20 tries and the last one was SLOPPY as hell but what ever. I ended it with 1 vial and 0 bullets lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APGsSkB7wZQ

I'm glad that's done but I'm still stuck fighting Eb. That one has also been a big challenge. Died at least 20 times there as well. :/

With DS1&2 as I neared the end I was pretty powerful all around and bosses got easier the farther I went. Seems like the opposite with Bloodborne.

thechemist

ehrman

His range is way too long and I can't time my parries correctly. Also I cannot dodge that air attack.

I tried to back him up against a wall, you can do a lot of damage then. In terms of avoiding his air attack just keep locked on and dodging by jumping back not sideways.

I only parried him once or twice, My main tactic was getting close and then dodging his two hit combo then that leaves a small window for attack.

I used fire paper/ bolt paper as well to increase damage

Arjen

ehrman

backstep away constantly as soon as he goes in the air, he will never hit you.

I think I had a glitch.

I talked to Eileen outside of Cathedral ward after beating BSB and then forgot she said to go to the tomb to fight henryk. I proceeded to beati VA, Darkbeast Paarl, Witch of Hemwick, and Shadow of Yarnham. I can't find eileen anywhere and also henryk doesn't spawn at the tomb.

Any help?

Mogwai

I think I had a glitch.

I talked to Eileen outside of Cathedral ward after beating BSB and then forgot she said to go to the tomb to fight henryk. I proceeded to beati VA, Darkbeast Paarl, Witch of Hemwick, and Shadow of Yarnham. I can't find eileen anywhere and also henryk doesn't spawn at the tomb.

Any help?

Did you buy the Hunter Chief Emblem?

Sayad

Defiled amygdala really giving me a rough time :(

Fucking one shots during the last stage

Last stage is the easiest, just stay on its tail, he can't jump/attack backward in that phase. takes a while, but it's completely safe. If you can't stand the wait and feeling risky, you can sneak in a head attack after every jump.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
What's the general consensus on level cap for multiplayer? Wondering when I should stop dumping points.

Top Bottom