• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

DSmalls84

I believe it is after ROM, as long as you have been doing Eileen's quest line.

Just met her once in central Yharnam so far. Is it worth raising other stats to use the riflespear or should I just stick with the Sawspear? I picked professional and low strength has locked me out of using some weapons so far.

Szadek

How early can you get the Blades of Mercy? So far I have been sticking exclusively with the Cane/Saw Spear. Finished up BSB and cleared the workshop area as well.
Anytime if you are capable of murdering Eileen, or you can complete here side quest when you are about 3/4 through the main story.
If you kill you can't get the really great Hunter rune.

Jombie

I love the Saw Spear. It's always my secondary weapon in a skill build - it absolutely wrecks beast bosses. If you want a pokey weapon I'd suggest the Reiterpallasch - you can get it from Cainhurst. Those are probably my favorite non DLC skill weapons.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
How early can you get the Blades of Mercy? So far I have been sticking exclusively with the Cane/Saw Spear. Finished up BSB and cleared the workshop area as well.

You can kill Eileen very early by luring her to jump to her death in the sewers (after a couple molotov cocktails). You get her badge and can purchase the blades from mr skeletal.

Sub_Level

I was really reluctant to play this game. Just seemed like a dark souls rehash. But glad I stuck with it cuz its one if my favorites now. Already played Dex in those games, so a game built around dex in a 19th century gothic aesthetic is perfect.

If it is a rehash, its the best ever.

DSmalls84

I was really reluctant to play this game. Just seemed like a dark souls rehash. But glad I stuck with it cuz its one if my favorites now. Already played Dex in those games, so a game built around dex in a 19th century gothic aesthetic is perfect.

If it is a rehash, its the best ever.

I just started playing as well. I ordered Dark Soul II and BB as 2 of my games for Best Buy's B2G1F deal. I didn't expect to like it as much as I am and Dark Souls 3 is coming out fairly soon. This is going to take time...lots of time.

Sub_Level

I just started playing as well. I ordered Dark Soul II and BB as 2 of my games for Best Buy's B2G1F deal. I didn't expect to like it as much as I am and Dark Souls 3 is coming out fairly soon. This is going to take time...lots of time.

My first playthrough was 40 hours, including the dlc. I did miss one optional area (upper cathedral ward) which woud have surely added a few hours as well. Final level was 100.

New player, any character build better to start off with? What about the first weapons you choose?

I am a bit overwhelmed coming into Hunters Dream and where to go from there. I am just wandering around really.

DSmalls84

Seems like a lot people recommend the hunter axe for new players. All of the starter options seem pretty good if you level up the correct stats though.

Sub_Level

New player, any character build better to start off with? What about the first weapons you choose?

I am a bit overwhelmed coming into Hunters Dream and where to go from there. I am just wandering around really.

If you want a relatively easy time for your first playthrough, just go with the Hunter Axe. It has fantastic moves and does decent damage when you upgrade it.

For leveling up stats, you can keep it simple. Worry about Vitality (health), Endurance (green bar dictating how much you can attack and sprint), and Strength (will boost your damage). You can ignore the rest. And hell, you'll be fine with Endurance in the 15-20 range.

I recommend watching this Beginner's Guide to Bloodborne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxi_w6jwRg

Then when you're ready, you can watch this guide to the first boss to help ease you in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD0kUBULEIM

Sub_Level

Is there a specific character class to start with? I just choose the default middle values one.

It honestly doesn't matter too much. The important thing is that you level up wisely from the beginning, because leveling up is really cheap at first.

It'll be harder to change course with your character at, say, level 70 when levelling up requires way more blood echoes. Violent Past and Military Veteran were the most ideal for wielding a strength weapon like the Hunter Axe, but its just a 2 to 3 level difference from the class you chose.

edit: and to give you an idea, you can beat the game without levelling up at all. So this is an rpg but at its core its still an action game. Dodging and timing attacks is still what decides victory.

Szadek

Awesome, I am barely started so was going to start over now that I get it a bit.
As for leveling, you should level vitality, endurance and the main damage stat of your weapon ( Strength, Skill, Arcane, Bloodtinge).
Your long term goals for vitality and your dmg stat should be 50 and somewhere around 20 for endurance.

Strength or Skill are usually the best for new players, but arcane can work,too , if you really want it.
Can't recommand Bloodtinge for new players, because there is only 1 melee weapon that scales with it and it's hard to find.

DSmalls84

Pretty sure I'm overleveled at this point. I went into Vicar Amelia at lvl 48 with a +5 Cane and just completely destroyed her lol. Seemed like she just got stuck trying to heal the whole time. Would now be a good time to try to take on Darkbeast Paarl?

neoemonk

Working on my plat in NG+, but I want to play Old Hunters DLC. If I kill Amelia then some of the optional content that I need to pursue for the trophy will be harder but if I don't then it will take longer to get into the DLC.

I suppose I should take longer since I'm only level 80 right now but I really want to see the new stuff.

myco666

Pretty sure I'm overleveled at this point. I went into Vicar Amelia at lvl 48 with a +5 Cane and just completely destroyed her lol. Seemed like she just got stuck trying to heal the whole time. Would now be a good time to try to take on Darkbeast Paarl?

I would say Paarl would be good to do now. You will overlevel yourself out of that fight very fast making it way too easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut6xLAlAbtk

I have the platinum and I've never seen a chalice dungeon door connection like that before. This is the first time illusory wall has seen it. Have you seen it?

Never seen something like that. Haven't done that much root chalices though.

RiggyRob

Episode 23, Pimmsy vs DLC 'bosses',
The Great Sharks of the Well
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlRG3Tjx2p8

It's handy knowing that you can use Shaman Bone Blade to turn the second shark against the other, and being able to spam the whip mode of the Threaded Cane is useful after the first one tries and swings at you.

I don't think she actually ended up using the
Rakuyo
after all the trouble she went through to get it.

DSmalls84

I went to Yahar'Gul earlier and left via the lamp. Now when I go to the lamp I don't see any options to return. Also if the abductor kills me I just die instead of going back. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind I'm dumb lol. Totally missed those other two fast travel gravestones assuming there was only one.

Arondight

Finished Mergo's Wet Nurse. I'm planning on picking up Old hunters. Can I still access the content or do I have to finish this game and restart on NG+?

Jombie

Finished Mergo's Wet Nurse. I'm planning on picking up Old hunters. Can I still access the content or do I have to finish this game and restart on NG+?

No. If you download it, the DLC item will automatically show up in the dream and you can go to cathedral ward to access it.

So, strange situation last night while playing some co-op with randoms.

During the Vicar Amelia fight, I threw a couple of numbing mists at her right before she was about to regen health and it caused her animation and health bar to go absolutely crazy. She began recycling a scream/jump over and over into a wall while her health would continually regen while taking damage.

She stopped bugging out after about 30 seconds or so, but it was a real simple way to cheese her on NG+. I don't know if lag had to do with any of it, but it was just an odd fight.

So, strange situation last night while playing some co-op with randoms.

During the Vicar Amelia fight, I threw a couple of numbing mists at her right before she was about to regen health and it caused her animation and health bar to go absolutely crazy. She began recycling a scream/jump over and over into a wall while her health would continually regen while taking damage.

She stopped bugging out after about 30 seconds or so, but it was a real simple way to cheese her on NG+. I don't know if lag had to do with any of it, but it was just an odd fight.

There are some nasty bugs in coop, high latency makes them glitch more often due not recognizing the summoner or the host is "not there" making the bosses inmobile

DSmalls84

Any reason to not join the "League"? Just ran into the guy in the Forbidden Woods and not really sure how picking a faction changes the game (If at all).

myco666

Any reason to not join the "League"? Just ran into the guy in the Forbidden Woods and not really sure how picking a faction changes the game (If at all).

No reason not to join any faction. You are not tied to them at all and just get Oath runes that give you some multiplayer "benefits". So join to everything to get the runes and use whatever you feel like is the best for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut6xLAlAbtk

I have the platinum and I've never seen a chalice dungeon door connection like that before. This is the first time illusory wall has seen it. Have you seen it?
I've had this recently - only once that I can remember though. On the same character I also a similar long hallway like that with a big fossil mass in it like you see in the swampy areas sometimes but it was in the main hallway and the fire witch enemy with two dogs would get stuck on the geometry constantly, and behind them was one of the giants like they run past in the video above.

RiggyRob

Better late than never - episode 24, Pimmsy vs. Undead Giant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-92JunsvEI

This is pretty much where Pimmsy came up against OoK and was like nope, doing something else for a change - after banging her head against him a few times of course. I told her she might as well do some of the other chalices since there was literally nothing else for her to do in the main game.

She might've been over-levelled for this fight in particular but Undead Giant can still wreck you if you mess up, so I think she did pretty well.

I'm having trouble lighting the next lamp after yahargul chapel, can anyone help? I've
killed the there hunters in that next building and killed the two tiny monsters down the circular Speak staircase but it still doesn't let me interact with it. All the other passages seem to lead outside, and ideas what I'm missing?

I'm having trouble lighting the next lamp after yahargul chapel, can anyone help? I've
killed the there hunters in that next building and killed the two tiny monsters down the circular Speak staircase but it still doesn't let me interact with it. All the other passages seem to lead outside, and ideas what I'm missing?
If it's the one I think you mean (in front of the Amygdala statue on a balcony atop the double staircase) it only works in that area when you got there during the Hypogean Gaol period earlier in the game, once you open up the whole of the Unseen Village post-Rom that lamp is permenantly out of use and there's a second one further in to the area.

ramyeon

Finally had time to sink into the DLC today. Took out
Ludwig, Living Failures and Maria
with relative ease, especially the last two which I got on my first go. Finally got
Maria's outfit and Rakuyo!
Love the weapon, I've traded in my Chikage to use it for the time being.

Dahbomb

Any tips for the cathedral hunter for the last part of eileen's quest. This is probably the toughest fight I have had so far.
Extend the duration of the fight as much as you can. His transformed form depletes his life bar and just keep your distance from him. He will self harm himself. The rest of the fight you play extremely safe, chipping away at his health.

DSmalls84

Extend the duration of the fight as much as you can. His transformed form depletes his life bar and just keep your distance from him. He will self harm himself. The rest of the fight you play extremely safe, chipping away at his health.

Pretty much what I have been doing. Got him down to within 1-2 hits of beating him and ran out of ranged items so he punished my swing with a pistol shot/visceral attack to kill me lol.

RiggyRob

Even later than yesterday - episode 25, Pimmsy vs. Bloodletting Beast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pKk2dlbc6E

Pimmsy went back to the cane for this fight specifically because it can be buffed with Fire Paper and it has much better range to hit the Bloodletting Beast's head in the whip mode.

I'm surprised having two NPC summons didn't affect its health too much, I was sure that she'd have to wail on him for ages. She did manage to mostly avoid the bullshit rocket punches, but then she was a much higher level than I was when I attempted the fight.

Zocano

It's a little disappointing that once you get to 200+ SL, the saw cleaver kinda becomes the best weapon to use. Best damage/speed ratio by a mile.

graybot

has anyone tried file sharing the DLC?

I was unable to file share with my son. Its something I would do often with other things I purchase

It's a little disappointing that once you get to 200+ SL, the saw cleaver kinda becomes the best weapon to use. Best damage/speed ratio by a mile.

Wouldn't that be Ludwig's Holy Blade? It has B scaling on both Strength and Skill versus Saw Cleaver's C and D. At least on my main (not nearly SL 200 though, 140 or so) it hits like a truck (700+ attack).

Wouldn't that be Ludwig's Holy Blade? It has B scaling on both Strength and Skill versus Saw Cleaver's C and D. At least on my main (not nearly SL 200 though, 140 or so) it hits like a truck (700+ attack).

Saw Cleaver will out damage Ludwigs in a dps race. Both Ludwig modes are slower than the saw cleaver's retracted form, and the damage to stamina ratio on the saw cleaver is stupid good. LHS is good for 1-2 hits, but it you are going to exhaust your stamina (or close to it) the saw cleaver should win.

Saw Cleaver will out damage Ludwigs in a dps race. Both Ludwig modes are slower than the saw cleaver's retracted form, and the damage to stamina ratio on the saw cleaver is stupid good. LHS is good for 1-2 hits, but it you are going to exhaust your stamina (or close to it) the saw cleaver should win.

Interesting. The saw weapons do put out very good sustained DPS, but I didn't know it was better than LHS's transformed mode. How does the Whirlgig's saw sustained L2 fare compared to these?

RiggyRob

More reasonable time today - episode 26, Pimmsy vs. Beast-possessed Soul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQUFb8uJzpo

This is where the fights in the Chalice Dungeons get a lot more tense since Pimmsy moved onto the Ailing Loran chalice, which I never actually did during my first playthrough.

She managed to get a good few parries but she rode her luck at times as well - I think if she hadn't had the constant healing gems on the cane she might've died instead of surviving with a sliver of health.

Top Bottom