• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Cool thanks! I'll be sure to check in one I get around that point. The only other weapon I have so far is the Saw Spear, but I haven't tried it yet.

Those two are perhaps the two most similar weapons in the game, their folded forms are nearly identical. You'll notice that BB has less weapons but each is pretty much an unique snowflake.

Upgrading Endurance and especially Vitality is always a safe bet. The offensive stats depend on what weapons you want to use going forward, with my most recommended setups (and not coincidentally, my three characters) being Skill + Strength, Blood + Skill, or Arcane + Strength. I believe with these three you cover pretty much all weapons in the game.

This game has some seriously, seriously cool weapons, and every single of them is viable, so if you're not averse to spoilers and/or you plan on only making one character, you might want to check some videos of their movesets and see if you fall in love with any of them to plan your build in advance. I myself have recently fallen in love with the Chikage, not least of all after discovering you can interrupt its neutral transform animation with a R1 slash that comes ridiculously fast from the hilt, deals huge damage and looks frankly sweet.

Also, upgrade materials in BB are all "renewable" except for the last one. The ones used up to +3 are trivially so (buyable for 2000 blood echoes) later on, the ones to +6 reasonably so (10000), and the ones up to +9 rather hard to come by (aside from non-replenishable loot, some enemies rarely drop them and you can buy them for 30(!) insight). The one used for +10 is once a playthrough (plus one more for each max-level chalice dungeon), but by then you should have a clear idea of what you want. The DLC has some wicked cool weapons, though, so keep that in mind.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Making a Chikage build that can also use the Old Hunter Bone (so level up arcane to 15) takes serious investment and a few hours to set up. Hunter Axe spoiled me for my first playthrough. Plus I like Endurance to be at least 15.

A ton of cool stuff is only available after Amelia.

Manu

Yeah, the whole theme issue is ridiculous now. Europe got it in September. Emails were supposed to be sent yesterday. This is stupid.

Making a Chikage build that can also use the Old Hunter Bone (so level up arcane to 15) takes serious investment and a few hours to set up. Hunter Axe spoiled me for my first playthrough. Plus I like Endurance to be at least 15.

A ton of cool stuff is only available after Amelia.

Totally worth it IMHO, the Chikage might be my favorite weapon in the game right now. What I myself did is pump Dex at first, which is still useful for the viscerals and normal mode Chikage damage; as a bonus I learned to use and love the Threaded Cane. There are also other weapons that benefit from Dex+Blood, like the Reiterpallasch.

My third character was meant to be Arcane and I used the same strategy, only to realize most Arcane weapons benefit more from strength. By the time I realized this Dex was at 20, but it's OK since with Augur of Ebrietas now causing stagger (crazy in itself), this allows me to get a lot of mileage from viscerals. Arcane builds seem to be easymode as far as I'm concerned, I'm roflstomping almost everything with Augur.

By the way, out of curiosity I googled what reiterpallasch means, and it seems to be German (that much was obvious) for "Horserider Backsword".

myco666

Yeah, the whole theme issue is ridiculous now. Europe got it in September. Emails were supposed to be sent yesterday. This is stupid.

That theme isn't that good though IMO. Never actually even used it aside from quickly checking how it looks. Also it took few months after they announced the giveaway in Europe before I got mine. So be more patient.

Eh, The theme is no big deal, I got the normal BB one and the City of Yharman both are kinda dull, this one is just the images from the Launch Trailer

Manu

Yeah, I'm seriously more pissed about the fact they haven't said anything than the actual theme.

I already got the superior Bloodborne theme anyway:

12375970_10208339637278475_1909001796758777510_n.jpg

Archon473

I am struggling with this game's combat compared to Dark Souls. In all of these games, I have trouble gaining the initiative against enemies. I am really unsure when to attack as I never know if my attacks will stagger enemies. Every guide claims, "All attacks stagger the enemies and likewise the player," but in my experience this is not the case. So far I have been two-handing the Hunter's Axe (I used Halberds in Dark Souls). Normal townspeople of course lose to any R1, but against the brick golems and scourge beasts it is a different story. I have been knocked out of every attack, even a full-charged R2 after the spark. If this can be interrupted, I cannot rely on any of my attacks having "poise" or armor as this game would grant. On the flipside, while a full charged R2 will knock down a still-standing scourge beast, I've had them essentially poise through it with their own charge swipe, running swipe, and multi-swipe attacks. I cannot tell what attacks I can interrupt. It never seems worth it trying to trade hits or interrupt enemies once they have started attacking. Poise in Dark Souls really granted me the luxury to take initiative whenever I wanted because I could always trade favorably and know for sure this certain attack would stagger this particular enemy. I have not found any stagger data on enemies in Bloodborne the way the Dark Souls wikidot lists enemy poise values and weapon values against poise. Are there any weapons in this game that have armored attacks?

I have to spend more time experimenting with the pistol but I never have it equipped. I know you can stun enemies with timed gunshots but I want to know if this works against all attacks. I've read every enemy can be stunned but not all of their attacks can be stunned, so the practicality of it seems lessened.

Dahbomb

Pretty much every attack of regular enemies can be parried (the humanoid ones... the smaller dog/raven crap aren't even worth parrying to begin with). It's the bosses which you can't parry some of them (usually the really large one) but the humanoid bosses you can parry.

I think some of the later heavy weapons might have armored attacks but something like Ludwig blade's L2 attack has a lot of stagger. It can stunlock those burly brick dudes in the first area for example.

RiggyRob

Episode 21, Pimmsy vs. the 2nd DLC boss, the
Living Failures
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJR4d3j3MU

So yeah, we lost the footage for this fight from the PS4, BUT luckily I was recording through my phone since I wanted to have a video where you can see Pimmsy's inputs. Apologies for the off-screen video.

Wine may have been involved in this video, and certain expletives occur, but I think they give the fight character.

Episode 20, Pimmsy vs. the optional DLC boss,
Laurence, the First Vicar
: https://youtu.be/JgPs4X5y6As

Goddamn, what a close finish. I was so sure Pinmsy would end up dying right at the end, but she managed to power through. He's basically a
screaming tank of fiery death

Such an infuriating boss fight, I'm glad I didn't have to fight him
yet
God damn Laurence seems like a massive asshole.
Episode 21, Pimmsy vs. the 2nd DLC boss, the
Living Failures
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJR4d3j3MU

So yeah, we lost the footage for this fight from the PS4, BUT luckily I was recording through my phone since I wanted to have a video where you can see Pimmsy's inputs. Apologies for the off-screen video.

Wine may have been involved in this video, and certain expletives occur, but I think they give the fight character.
Just saw this. Did they not do the meteor shower? I thought they did this during their second phase?

RiggyRob

God damn Laurence seems like a massive asshole.

Oh he is. If you can bait him into the lava spout attack that travels in a straight line though, it's doable.

Just saw this. Did they not do the meteor shower? I thought they did this during their second phase?

They did - when I tell her to start running, the meteors are behind her and they start hitting the flowers in the middle, so when she eventually got hit by them it was pretty much at the end of the attack.

Hiding behind the flowers is one of the ways to avoid the meteors as they always come from the same direction.

embalm

I am struggling with this game's combat compared to Dark Souls. In all of these games, I have trouble gaining the initiative against enemies. I am really unsure when to attack as I never know if my attacks will stagger enemies. Every guide claims, "All attacks stagger the enemies and likewise the player," but in my experience this is not the case. So far I have been two-handing the Hunter's Axe (I used Halberds in Dark Souls). Normal townspeople of course lose to any R1, but against the brick golems and scourge beasts it is a different story. I have been knocked out of every attack, even a full-charged R2 after the spark. If this can be interrupted, I cannot rely on any of my attacks having "poise" or armor as this game would grant. On the flipside, while a full charged R2 will knock down a still-standing scourge beast, I've had them essentially poise through it with their own charge swipe, running swipe, and multi-swipe attacks. I cannot tell what attacks I can interrupt. It never seems worth it trying to trade hits or interrupt enemies once they have started attacking. Poise in Dark Souls really granted me the luxury to take initiative whenever I wanted because I could always trade favorably and know for sure this certain attack would stagger this particular enemy. I have not found any stagger data on enemies in Bloodborne the way the Dark Souls wikidot lists enemy poise values and weapon values against poise. Are there any weapons in this game that have armored attacks?

I have to spend more time experimenting with the pistol but I never have it equipped. I know you can stun enemies with timed gunshots but I want to know if this works against all attacks. I've read every enemy can be stunned but not all of their attacks can be stunned, so the practicality of it seems lessened.
Just some quick notes on terms.

Stun is when you hit an enemy and interrupt their attack.
Stagger is when you you shot and enemy or backstab an enemy and drop them to their knees.

You can stun almost every single human sized enemy in the game. Some weapons are very good at stun locking and will let you attack until the enemy is dead.

Big enemies are going to be hard to stun with normal attacks. Even charged up attacks won't stop some enemies from finishing their attacks. Big enemies like werewolves and trolls need to be respected and avoiding their attacks is almost always better than trading with them.

Almost every single enemy in the game can be Staggered by shooting them during an attack. You will have to find the sweet spot for your shots, but in general the window for a Stagger is larger for larger enemies. The Brick Trolls are the perfect enemies to practice your shot timing on.

Some bosses cannot be Stunned or Staggered normally. Often you have to deal damage to specific parts of their body to Stagger them.

You don't want to tank through attacks in Bloodborne. Almost everything will out damage you and you can be stunned by almost every attack. You want to use your speed and evasion to dodge those big nasty enemies. You should also get used to transforming your weapon, once you have the hang of both versions and can combo between the forms you'll be doing fine.

They did - when I tell her to start running, the meteors are behind her and they start hitting the flowers in the middle, so when she eventually got hit by them it was pretty much at the end of the attack.

Hiding behind the flowers is one of the ways to avoid the meteors as they always come from the same direction.
Oh ok, I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention.

Dmax3901

So managed to down four bosses in two days. Micolash, Mergo's Wet Nurse (first try) then I went back and had very little trouble with Logarius.

Lastly was Ebrietas. She was still giving me trouble but on my third or fourth renewed attempt (would be more attempts if I counted past ones) I somehow got lucky and managed to sort of get her against the wall ( ;) ). I had summoned the NPC dude who, while being fairly useless in other attempts, managed to distract her enough that I could just lay into her with bolt paper.

Now to trophy hunt!

jimmypython

Hi all,

Is this a bug? I made a Loran chalice dungeon and it turned into a cursed pthumeru defilement dungeon, which I didnt even have the chalice for.

Actually this is a good thing...I was just about to fight the bloodletting beast (boss door already unlocked) to get the defile chalice lol.

How should I stat my saw cleaver build? I'm only at level 21 right now and have put almost everything into vitality. I'm not sure when I will get a new weapon so I don't know if I should put points into strength or skill. Any tips?

I assume once I'm a bit further in the game I will replace the cleaver with something else. I'm only at the Cathedral Ward right now.

Hi all,

Is this a bug? I made a Loran chalice dungeon and it turned into a cursed pthumeru defilement dungeon, which I didnt even have the chalice for.

Actually this is a good thing...I was just about to fight the bloodletting beast (boss door already unlocked) to get the defile chalice lol.

Did you do a root version by mistake?

How should I stat my saw cleaver build? I'm only at level 21 right now and have put almost everything into vitality. I'm not sure when I will get a new weapon so I don't know if I should put points into strength or skill. Any tips?

I assume once I'm a bit further in the game I will replace the cleaver with something else. I'm only at the Cathedral Ward right now.

Well, the saw have a D scaling on STR and E scaling to Skill, the incoming weapons will be STR and Skill mostly but later on there will be a specific bloodtinge weapons you could miss since you have to devote 30 on that stat to see its damage.

Is your first run? try all the weapon you can find, how are your other stats? how is your stamina? did you know bruce wayne maybe be Batman?

Well, the saw have a D scaling on STR and E scaling to Skill, the incoming weapons will be STR and Skill mostly but later on there will be a specific bloodtinge weapons you could miss since you have to devote 30 on that stat to see its damage.

Is your first run? try all the weapon you can find, how are your other stats? how is your stamina? did you know bruce wayne maybe be Batman?
Lol. Thanks.

I did military veteran. I think my stats are like this:

Vit 19
Sta 13
Str 14
Ski 12
BT 7
Arc 6

It is indeed my first run. I was thinking of maybe adding a bit of strength as well as vitality but I'm not really sure. I don't think I've used any other weapon than the cleaver. Maybe I will try buying the kirkhammer.

jimmypython

I believe not. I checked the chalice right after I made it and it was correct (a skull, Loran Chalice). Then I suspended the game to take a break...When I turned the game back on and got into the dungeon I found my HP got cut half and realized the dungeon had turned into a Cursed Pthumeru Defilement dungeon........I don't even have that chalice yet lol.

Lol. Thanks.

Vit 19
Sta 13
Str 14
Ski 12
BT 7
Arc 6

It is indeed my first run. I was thinking of maybe adding a bit of strength as well as vitality but I'm not really sure. I don't think I've used any other weapon than the cleaver. Maybe I will try buying the kirkhammer.

In order or importance is Vit>Stamina> weapons Stats

For the best early stats, 15 in said stats is recommended

The Kirkhammer have a D scaling on Str which is good, not the best and can scale in Skill like Saw. I forgot to mention the Saw have Bonus damage on beasts.

In order or importance is Vit>Stamina> weapons Stats

For the best early stats, 15 in said stats is recommended

The Kirkhammer have a D scaling on Str which is good, not the best and can scale in Skill like Saw. I forgot to mention the Saw have Bonus damage on beasts.
Thanks, maybe I will raise my stamina a bit before putting points into Str.

This game is so damn good.

Jombie

I plan on going through chalice dungeons again with my str / arcane character to get flat arcane gems for the mlgs. Can't wait..

DSmalls84

Made it to Bloodstarved beast tonight and wiped 3 times. I can get him down to 25% health but then get stuck trying to dodge and use antidotes and I'm running low on blood potions to lure him. Guess I will just resupply and try again tomorrow.

So I just got to the Cathedral Ward and opened up the lamp in Old Yarnham today.

In what order should I do these things?
BSB
VA
Hemwick

Thanks. I think I'm level 24ish.

Jombie

So I just got to the Cathedral Ward and opened up the lamp in Old Yarnham today.

In what order should I do these things?
BSB
VA
Hemwick

Thanks. I think I'm level 24ish.

Hemwick, BSB, Amelia.

You could really do Old Yharnam or Hemwick first, but you can get the rune workshop tool after the boss in Hemwick, which is really helpful.

Made it to Bloodstarved beast tonight and wiped 3 times. I can get him down to 25% health but then get stuck trying to dodge and use antidotes and I'm running low on blood potions to lure him. Guess I will just resupply and try again tomorrow.

Buy Gascoigne's set, which has high poison resis and just stay to his right / your left.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
guys, is my resonant stone broken? My team mates were there to back me up for two bosses but it doesn't work anymore! Bloodborne is supposed to be a team game!

Lol. Thanks.

Vit 19
Sta 13
Str 14
Ski 12
BT 7
Arc 6

I would not do a "saw cleaver build" if I were you, by the end of the game you'll be tired of using the same weapon over and over. That said, such a build could switch for many other weapons later on, particularly the almighty (and consequently overused) Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Check out my post on this subject early on the page, I think it will be of use to you.

Also, there's an item you can get very early on that allows you to buy all the other starting weapons (in your case, Saw Spear, Hunter Axe and Threaded Cane). You can get it before even fighting any boss, it's the Saw Hunter Badge; look around the place where a huge pig is.

DSmalls84

Hemwick, BSB, Amelia.

You could really do Old Yharnam or Hemwick first, but you can get the rune workshop tool after the boss in Hemwick, which is really helpful.

Buy Gascoigne's set, which has high poison resis and just stay to his right / your left.

Where do you buy it? I looked in the hunter's dream but did not see it in the bath messenger's inventory.

Having way more trouble with Loran Darkbeast than any of the DLC bosses on this (admittedly NG run). Ebrietas in her depth 5 chalice was nothing compared to this fucking thing. Jesus.

RiggyRob

Episode 22, Pimmsy vs. the 3rd DLC boss,
Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower
: https://youtu.be/s6AiccbUkks

The music's amazing for this fight, really gives an epic feel to it. Quite a few moments where Pimmsy and
Maria
both get staggered, I'm not entirely sure what causes it?

I found it really cool that
Maria is supposedly the inspiration for Gehrman's Doll going by the DLC dialogue she gives you, even if we didn't see it ourselves. Makes you wonder why she willingly chose to stay in the Hunter's Nightmare.

Sub_Level

This is a very sloppy fight but I don't even care. Logarius at level 50 with a Hunter Axe +7 and only 10 strength is no joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipJSa0DJ1bI

Took me at least 4 hours of retries + making a few lecture hall farm trips for vials. Joe Rogan podcast got me through (recommend the Lance Armstrong episode)

Sub_Level

The worst part is you can find vids on youtube of people locking him into a parry loop. He doesn't do any projectile stuff, just swings his scythe. Some have all the luck.

Dahbomb

The worst part is you can find vids on youtube of people locking him into a parry loop. He doesn't do any projectile stuff, just swings his scythe. Some have all the luck.
Are those recent videos? Because first week of Bloodborne boss AI could get glitched out resultin in them looping moves.

Szadek

He stops using magic after he lost 1/3 of his health, execpt for the one attack were he sticks his sword in the ground.
The sword can simple be destoryed by shooting at it,because it has like 1 hp.

DSmalls84

How early can you get the Blades of Mercy? So far I have been sticking exclusively with the Cane/Saw Spear. Finished up BSB and cleared the workshop area as well.

Top Bottom