• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

I'm at the point where I can kill Rom, Amygdala or Logarius. I've always sucked at Souls bosses, and these are testing my patience in a way that I'm not sure I care to test. I might end it here.
The only hard one of that group is Logarius. If you can whittle down Rom's spiders she's not too hard, just keep a close I on Rom and learn her tells so you know what attacks are coming up to dodge. Amydala isn't too hard either. Last time I played I found him easy...granted I was in my 80's at that point and Amydala really doesn't like getting smacked in the face with a Threaded Cane whip buffed with the Empty Phanstasm Shell. I laughed with how much damage that took off.

Donos

I'm at the point where I can kill Rom, Amygdala or Logarius. I've always sucked at Souls bosses, and these are testing my patience in a way that I'm not sure I care to test. I might end it here.

From these 3 i would say Marty >> Amygdala >>> Rom (Rom easiest).

When you are a parry god, Marty is rather easy. If not, he can be tough till you can read all his tells.

I think i was overleveled for story Amy since i steamrolled over it but the defiled chalice version gave me nightmares. Sticking to left side/leg should be a good tactic. Can't remember much more since i banned all the defiled chalice boss memories from my head. That pain ...

Rom: I'm on the "don't bother with little spiders" camp. Just run straigt to Roms side, hit hard and instantly bail out. Run around till you see another opening between the little spiders and repeat. When Meteors come down > running/dodgeing (and a bit luck). Use that electrical paper for more DMG. Also many people still like to help at Rom. Don't know if the Leauge patch added a NPC for this fight.

Thanks, I'll try Rom again tonight and probably summon some peeps.

Logarius gives me the most worry because even with a summon it seems pretty difficult.

DSmalls84

What are some good places to farm souls/blood vials quickly? I had a pretty good stockpile before Laurence and need to stock up before I go any further. I have been farming the Forbidden Woods just because It doesn't take long to reach the shortcut back to the lantern and most of the enemies drop Vials/Bullets.

What are some good places to farm souls/blood vials quickly? I had a pretty good stockpile before Laurence and need to stock up before I go any further. I have been farming the Forbidden Woods just because It doesn't take long to reach the shortcut back to the lantern and most of the enemies drop Vials/Bullets.
Lecture Hall First Floor, third bullet point. Basically 15,000 souls in 45 seconds and a lot of bullets. Find a balance of souls for leveling and some to purchase blood?

What level/stats are you? There's no shame in grinding/overlevelling for your first run through.

The key to Rom is to kill all the little spiders, there's a limited amount of them (there's three waves, the first one and the ones she summons when she teleports, which is twice max per fight, at about 66% and 33% health). To kill the spiders easily, run past them, turn your character 180º and hit them in the back. Try using a weapon that kills them in one hit. With practice you can kill them without looking (run past them then turn around without moving the camera and strike "at the camera"), this is quite safe.

Amygdala never gave me any problem because I was always kind of overlevelled when I reached it. I mostly did not use lock-on camera and went for the arm with the glowing stripe without mercy. Its jump attack has odd timing, it spends a lot of time in the air, so delay your dodge.

Logarius is definitely the hardest of the three but he's entirely optional and what he unlocks is useful mostly to a Bloodtinge build, so you can safely skip him or leave him until right before ending the game, for completism.

I'm replaying bloodborne from scratch and am probably having more fun this second time than I did the first!!

I'm now just at a point where I have defeated Darkbeast Paarl and just beaten Henryk too, and am now helping other players with Vicar Amelia.

My little personal dilemma is that I've unlocked the first chalice dungeon, but I'm getting owned each and every time I attempt to clear the first layer alone. Is there a 'good time' to attempt these? I kind of wanted to get stuck into these as I didn't bother in my first playthrough. I'm just at around level 42 I believe...

What level/stats are you? There's no shame in grinding/overlevelling for your first run through.

The key to Rom is to kill all the little spiders, there's a limited amount of them (there's three waves, the first one and the ones she summons when she teleports, which is twice max per fight, at about 66% and 33% health). To kill the spiders easily, run past them, turn your character 180º and hit them in the back. Try using a weapon that kills them in one hit. With practice you can kill them without looking (run past them then turn around without moving the camera and strike "at the camera"), this is quite safe.

Amygdala never gave me any problem because I was always kind of overlevelled when I reached it. I mostly did not use lock-on camera and went for the arm with the glowing stripe without mercy. Its jump attack has odd timing, it spends a lot of time in the air, so delay your dodge.

Logarius is definitely the hardest of the three but he's entirely optional and what he unlocks is useful mostly to a Bloodtinge build, so you can safely skip him or leave him until right before ending the game, for completism.
I think I was level 55-57.

I actually summoned an NPC and a real player for Rom and killed her first try.

Then I waited quite awhile for someone to join for Amygdala and finally got someone that died almost immediately, but I managed to kill her in the same fight by being very conservative and using Ludwig's L2 in the transformed state. Randomly I would cause her to stagger, kind of like when you shoot someone before they attack and that helped a lot. I'm not sure what I was doing for that to happen.

Dmax3901

I found an easy way to kill bsb. I just quickstep towards him and past him everytime he attacks then hit him in the ass a couple times. I rarely get hit anymore by it.

The only time I change it up is when he does the attack where he raises his hand. For that one I side step the lunge then quickly dart towards him to land a couple of strikes.

I stay locked on him the whole time.

Got him, was super easy not sure why he gave me so much trouble, must've been the mood I was in.

Abhorrent Beast however... Not looking forward to this guy.

Got him, was super easy not sure why he gave me so much trouble, must've been the mood I was in.

I have to eventually do part 2 of that fucker when I do Lower Ailing Loran, that fucker has too much health. He's not impossible to dodge at all, but I hate what I think is his third phase.

Celegus

Woop woop, trophy % back at 100! Finished up Laurence (all on NG+, haven't tried DLC on NG yet) and realized there was a rifle I needed to buy in the shop to collect all the new weapons and ding the last trophy. Old Hunters didn't add anything new or different to chalice dungeons, did it? Any reason to go back into those?

Woop woop, trophy % back at 100! Finished up Laurence (all on NG+, haven't tried DLC on NG yet) and realized there was a rifle I needed to buy in the shop to collect all the new weapons and ding the last trophy. Old Hunters didn't add anything new or different to chalice dungeons, did it? Any reason to go back into those?

Nope.

I'm replaying bloodborne from scratch and am probably having more fun this second time than I did the first!!

I'm now just at a point where I have defeated Darkbeast Paarl and just beaten Henryk too, and am now helping other players with Vicar Amelia.

My little personal dilemma is that I've unlocked the first chalice dungeon, but I'm getting owned each and every time I attempt to clear the first layer alone. Is there a 'good time' to attempt these? I kind of wanted to get stuck into these as I didn't bother in my first playthrough. I'm just at around level 42 I believe...

That's kind of odd, the first chalice is quite easy and should be easier than Paarl or Amelia. On the other hand it has some tricky spots like the raised bridge with the pendulum scythes and the knife-throwing mooks. Is that what's giving you trouble?

I think I was level 55-57.

I actually summoned an NPC and a real player for Rom and killed her first try.

Then I waited quite awhile for someone to join for Amygdala and finally got someone that died almost immediately, but I managed to kill her in the same fight by being very conservative and using Ludwig's L2 in the transformed state. Randomly I would cause her to stagger, kind of like when you shoot someone before they attack and that helped a lot. I'm not sure what I was doing for that to happen.

Glad to hear yofu're back on track! 55 is low-ish for a first run to attempt Logarius so keep playing the main game. In fact 55 is kind of low altogether for where you are if this is your first run (especially if you haven't played other Souls games), which means you're actually doing great as a player. It's now dawning to me that if you're that low, you probably either lost many souls to deaths, or, more likely, haven't touched chalice dungeons. Assuming it's the latter, I wholeheartedly advise progressing through the first few chalice dungeons (basically keep progressing until they feel harder than where you currently are in the main game), which will feel very easy to you and give you gems, materials and echoes to further round up your character.

That's kind of odd, the first chalice is quite easy and should be easier than Paarl or Amelia. On the other hand it has some tricky spots like the raised bridge with the pendulum scythes and the knife-throwing mooks. Is that what's giving you trouble?

Glad to hear yofu're back on track! 55 is low-ish for a first run to attempt Logarius so keep playing the main game. In fact 55 is kind of low altogether for where you are if this is your first run (especially if you haven't played other Souls games), which means you're actually doing great as a player. It's now dawning to me that if you're that low, you probably either lost many souls to deaths, or, more likely, haven't touched chalice dungeons. Assuming it's the latter, I wholeheartedly advise progressing through the first few chalice dungeons (basically keep progressing until they feel harder than where you currently are in the main game), which will feel very easy to you and give you gems, materials and echoes to further round up your character.
I've beaten all the Souls games except Demons, but i've played it more than half way a few times. I'm hoping for a remaster at this point.

I haven't died much, so the lack of level is probably that I haven't done Chalice dungeons. I'm not sure how they work actually. If I die in one, do I have the buy the mats to go back in?

I've beaten all the Souls games except Demons, but i've played it more than half way a few times. I'm hoping for a remaster at this point.

I haven't died much, so the lack of level is probably that I haven't done Chalice dungeons. I'm not sure how they work actually. If I die in one, do I have the buy the mats to go back in?
No you don't have to rebuy materials. If that was the case nobody would be able to finish the damn things. You do get the best gems out of chalice dungeons so it does help to go through them. You also find the occasional rune treasure for going through the root versions.

Yup, pretty much exactly this, coupled with the bag man.

Crowd control after passing the pendulum scythes is my biggest issue, often I find myself getting pushed back, and if the horde doesn't kill me directly then the scythes tend to finish me off.

I'm using a threaded cane (which is my best crowd control option) and the tonitrus..

Crowd control after passing the pendulum scythes is my biggest issue, often I find myself getting pushed back, and if the horde doesn't kill me directly then the scythes tend to finish me off.

I'm using a threaded cane (which is my best crowd control option) and the tonitrus..
Get the timing right and just concentrate on running passed the scythes. You should either be able to roll passed the knife dude or at least push him out of the way during the roll or something. I've gotten a lot better at clearing that part recently.

No you don't have to rebuy materials. If that was the case nobody would be able to finish the damn things. You do get the best gems out of chalice dungeons so it does help to go through them. You also find the occasional rune treasure for going through the root versions.
Alright cool, I know I have the mats for a few, so I'll give them a shot tonight.

Alright cool, I know I have the mats for a few, so I'll give them a shot tonight.
Just warning you now root versions change them a good amount at times along with enemy types. Doing anything with the Witches of Hemwick as a random enemy with their summoning abilities does not create a fun time.

Not sure if you know about this because they appear much earlier in chalice dungeons than in the regular game, but there's an enemy called Bell Maiden that summons more enemies (typically blood-colored versions of normal enemies) over and over until you kill them. And yes, the very first one is right after the pendulum bridge (there might be two, but I think it's only one IIRC). Try to ignore the horde and kill the maiden, all summoned enemies will die immediately once she is killed.

No, the mats are only for creating them. Once you have created one, the tombstone where you created it acts much like the tombstones in the stairs, allowing you to warp in to any lamp that you have lit on that dungeon. There's one lamp at the start of each floor and one after killing each floor's boss. Otherwise the dungeons themselves pretty much follow the rules of the main game, dying makes you leave a bloodstain with your blood echoes, and so on.

Edit: Wait, you'll probably appreciate info about their creation and progression in general. The first thing is differentiating between depth and layers. Each chalice dungeon has an associated depth (think of it as a difficulty rating of that entire dungeon, from 1 to 5). Each dungeon consists of several layers, typically three, with a boss per layer.

There are two types of chalices (the item) and therefore dungeons: what I will call "story" chalices and what the game calls root chalices. You always get the "story" chalice first, which is used to create a version of the dungeon that is "fixed", i.e. the same for all players. Within that dungeon you'll typically find two more chalices; the "root" version of that same dungeon, and the "story" version of the next dungeon. The "root" chalice allows one to create randomized (and in some cases customized) versions of the dungeon, including random bosses, but are not necessary to progress at all.

The tl;dr version is, for progression, use each non-root chalice to create a dungeon where you'll get the next non-root chalice; for the time being you can ignore root chalices.

Edit 2: And just to drive home how "layer", "depth" and "floor" can be confusing, I wrote "layer" all the time when I meant "depth" (I wrote "floor" instead of "layer" which is the game's term). It's corrected above now.

Witches of Hemwick as a random enemy

Oh god, please tell me you're kidding. :S (I have barely touched root chalices).

It is true. It seems fairly regular enemy type in root chalices and there seems to be always three "Shadows" or whatever they are summoned instantly.
I hate hearing those fucking things spawn in through my headphones before I even make it through the first door. Only good thing is that my arcane character kills them in two hits and I can do a decent run to the witch and kill her and then kill the replacements that come in while you're killing the witch.

Grassy

I started playing Bloodborne again yesterday after not playing it since the week it came out. The last boss I'd beaten was
Vicar Amelia
, and I think due to work at the time I just had to put it on the back-burner. I've had it burning inside me to go back and finish this game off as I'm a big Souls/From Software fan, so here I am. I was initially a bit rusty but I've gotten the hang of it again and I'm sort of wondering if I can be pointed in the right direction.

So from the Cathedral I went to
Hemwick Charmel Lane
and ended up beating the boss there(it was a walk-over, I was kind of surprised...). From there I went to
Old Yharnham, with the guy on top of the roof with a machine-gun
, but from what I understand this is just an optional area? I did try going to the right of the Cathedral, but I ended up at a door I couldn't open with that Frenzy thing lurking about...I'm not sure of which other areas I had opened up(if any) until this point, I'm pretty sure I explored everywhere I could up until the Cathedral but my memory might be failing me. So I'm not too sure of where to go to next after I get through
Old Yharnham

P.S. So glad I got back into this game, I absolutely love it.

I started playing Bloodborne again yesterday after not playing it since the week it came out. The last boss I'd beaten was
Vicar Amelia
, and I think due to work at the time I just had to put it on the back-burner. I've had it burning inside me to go back and finish this game off as I'm a big Souls/From Software fan, so here I am. I was initially a bit rusty but I've gotten the hang of it again and I'm sort of wondering if I can be pointed in the right direction.

So from the Cathedral I went to
Hemwick Charmel Lane
and ended up beating the boss there(it was a walk-over, I was kind of surprised...). From there I went to
Old Yharnham, with the guy on top of the roof with a machine-gun
, but from what I understand this is just an optional area? I did try going to the right of the Cathedral, but I ended up at a door I couldn't open with that Frenzy thing lurking about...I'm not sure of which other areas I had opened up(if any) until this point, I'm pretty sure I explored everywhere I could up until the Cathedral but my memory might be failing me. So I'm not too sure of where to go to next after I get through
Old Yharnham

P.S. So glad I got back into this game, I absolutely love it.
Did you explore enough into Old Yharnam to find the boss there? Did you interact with the giant skull at the back of the Grand Cathedral after killing Amelia?

Grassy

Did you explore enough into Old Yharnam to find the boss there? Did you interact with the giant skull at the back of the Grand Cathedral after killing Amelia?

No, I was stupidly killed by the machine gunner when I made a rookie mistake while meleeing him. I don't recall a giant skull in the cathedral, I guess I have to go back there and find it.

Evading into his attacks is the trick for that guy. When facing him head on, I would aim my evade at his right leg (my left). It works on the lunge and swipe. Run away when you see the hulk clap or ground pound

myco666

I hate hearing those fucking things spawn in through my headphones before I even make it through the first door. Only good thing is that my arcane character kills them in two hits and I can do a decent run to the witch and kill her and then kill the replacements that come in while you're killing the witch.

They have very low health so they aren't really a problem. I can kill them with any of my +10 weapons with two hits.

Hey everyone, quick question.

I am working my way through the Old Hunters. I am fighting the boss in the Lighthouse Hut. I haven't obtained the Holy Sword yet and I am wondering if I missed my shot entirely. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, fantastic dlc. Amazing new areas. I had to create a new save file to actually beat this, I could not beat Ludwig on ng+++. Very much worth it. Great game. Immensely replayable, can't wait to try the new weapons in ng+.

The strength weapons in the DLC are really incredible. I'm currently rotating between the Boom Hammer, Amygdalan Arm and the Whirligig Saw as I'm playing through the main game again and I'm having the best time. The Amygdalan Arm is probably my favourite because it's so creepy looking, and it has that delicious R1 spam stunlock.

Hey everyone, quick question.

I am working my way through the Old Hunters. I am fighting the boss in the Lighthouse Hut. I haven't obtained the Holy Sword yet and I am wondering if I missed my shot entirely. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm at the same point and just went back to look for it at the corpse pile and it was on the ground there. Was wearing one of the church sets when I went back. Dunno if that's important.

I'm at the same point and just went back to look for it at the corpse pile and it was on the ground there. Was wearing one of the church sets when I went back. Dunno if that's important.

For me, I talked to
Ludwig's head after beating him and told them the hunters were still good guys (blatant lies)
and he gave it to me, IIRC.

Dahbomb

I can't beat the first boss. Now I have only 2 blood vials left and it seems even more impossible?
Explore the first area, you most probably missed a lot of stuff. Grab the Hunter armor set if you haven't already done so. Kill some stuff to get more vials. Any extra vials you collect past 20 go into your stash and will replenish you on death. Also use this opportunity to level up your health and either Skill or Strength depending on your weapon rating. You can also upgrade your weapon a bit at the shop in the hub (the dream area, go up the stairs and look to the table on right when you enter).

So finally ready to dive in to the Old hunters.

My Hunter is level 150 (Vit50/End40/str50/skill34/bt9/arcane17)

Using Ludwig's Holy Blade +10
Blade of Mercy +10
Hunter Pistol +6
Hunter Blunderbuss+6
Black Hooded Iron Helm
Yahar'gul Black Garb
Yahar'gul black gloves
yahar'gul black trousers.

It's been awhile since I've played. Is there anything I should be trying to obtain before heading into the old hunters? (armor, chalice items,etc.) I am on NG+++ and just trying to adjust back to playing it. I know how to access the content but I'm just getting back into the swing of things.

NG+++ you say?
anigif_original-grid-image-5533-1420850290-5.gif

Better off starting another character.

Not locking on is the key to having the camera behave somewhat normally.

Even then, the turd moves so frenetically that have to constantly track with the camera whilst dodging fists of fury is a real pain.

Many times I'd flip the camera around only to find he was already halfway through his stupid charge.

I finally beat him, though I'm not sure it was due in any amount of skill on my part. More luck of positioning etc. A lot of hit and running.

I tried many of the methods online to mixed results. Even jumping underneath him is a bear at times. There is a small window to the left where you can jump under him when he attacks, but if you miss, you bounce of his leg/head and he locks you into his swipe hits.

Sometimes I would be under him, but he would somehow scoop me out with a swipe attack and I would clip through him and into his damage area.

He also has some really shitty hitboxes.

Bloodborne is my favourite game this year by far, but man. I always felt Dsouls series was hard but fair, but a few of the BB bosses seem arbitrarily difficult to the point of unfair and frustrating.

Ohnonono

So I finally ended up with a PS4 and FINALLY get to play this game. Using the Saw Blade and the Pimp Cane, found the armor in the sewer and took out the Cleric Beast. Got the music box and died a few times to Father Whateverhisface. I am level 20. Hopefully I can beat him tonight! What a fantastic game!

Top Bottom