• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Faenix1

I'm aware the game is on sale digitally, but my net is too all over the place to make a 30 GB (I'm assuming it's in the 30s with patches) digital game worth it.

Missed the black friday sale, do ya'll think it'll hit $20 retail again anytime soon or am I better off paying the $40? (Was hoping to pay about that for the base game and expansion)

After the DLC my Strength and Skill characters are looking fly as hell.

bloodborne_20151230224336_by_realghostvids-d9ma2xj.jpg

bloodborne_20160101160734_by_realghostvids-d9ma2xa.jpg

The Beasthunter Saif is such a mean weapon, I really love using it.

Brakke

Banned
Finally got a PS4 and started this game. Put the bop on Cleric Beast in two tries. Feel like I've got the rhythm now.

I don't quite understand guns though. I took the pistol and a class with low Bloodtinge. I stun regular enemies ok but I usually prefer dodging. Against the Cleric, though, I couldn't manage to gun-stun him (?). Is a shotgun easier to stun with? Does more Bloodtinge make stunning easier? When I picked pistol, I thought the quicker draw made it better: I care more about stun than outright damage. The bath buddies have a two-shot pistol for sale.

Finally got a PS4 and started this game. Put the bop on Cleric Beast in two tries. Feel like I've got the rhythm now.

I don't quite understand guns though. I took the pistol and a class with low Bloodtinge. I stun regular enemies ok but I usually prefer dodging. Against the Cleric, though, I couldn't manage to gun-stun him (?). Is a shotgun easier to stun with? Does more Bloodtinge make stunning easier? When I picked pistol, I thought the quicker draw made it better: I care more about stun than outright damage. The bath buddies have a two-shot pistol for sale.

Not all bosses are stun-able with the guns from what I have seen. The game does force you to change it up from time to time. Some bosses are pistol/fast weapon, while others are better off killed with the strong attack form of your weapon. Some bosses you can use both fast attacks/pistol then change to 2 handed stuff.

RiggyRob

With Cleric Beast you have to shoot its head to stagger him and perform a visceral, there's no way to interrupt his attacks.

If you want stun, you want the Blunderbuss which has a wider spread than the Pistol, which makes it more likely to stun enemies, and if not you'll still stagger them slightly. The two-shot Repeating Pistol is for doing gun damage, useful for high Bloodtinge builds. Bloodtinge only affects gun and
transformed Chikage
damage, it doesn't affect the ability to stun at all.

---

Should be home tomorrow, so I can start uploading the last two/three episodes of Pimmsy vs. Bloodborne, with the
two final bosses.
She'll move onto Xenoblade X next since she's been dying to play it, but I did get Dark Souls 2 SOTFS so we might alternate playing that and streaming/making episodes of the boss fights.

For bosses stuns you have to deal huge damage to his head or land a crit right after a boss attack, its really difficult in normal situations and not all weapon can do that since the bosses are tall and you need horizontal attacks to reach their heads or wait when they lower their heads, so some players use the Bone ash to deal more damage per shot and stun them from afar. Dont try to use it with the Blunderbuss, unless you are pretty close.

For the cleric you have to understand the wound mechanic which consists in dealing damage to its limb, the that limb will start to bleed and double the damage you can deal on the boss, Also dont be afraid and attack him non stop, you will regen your health as fast as he can hit you, just stay on his sides

So I finally ended up with a PS4 and FINALLY get to play this game. Using the Saw Blade and the Pimp Cane, found the armor in the sewer and took out the Cleric Beast. Got the music box and died a few times to Father Whateverhisface. I am level 20. Hopefully I can beat him tonight! What a fantastic game!

Keep at it! Father G was my personal biggest stumbling bock. But the more you play, the better you get, and eventually everything just 'clicks'

She'll move onto Xenoblade X next

A fan of Bloodborne and Xenoblade? You should double-marry* her so that she has to go through with two divorces to get rid of you. :D
* Might not actually be a thing. Consult your local lawyer.

I don't quite understand guns though. I took the pistol and a class with low Bloodtinge. I stun regular enemies ok but I usually prefer dodging.

You might be aware of this, but just in case: after gun-stunning an enemy, you can go up to them and press R1 to trigger a visceral attack, an attack animation that deals massive damage (typically killing all but the toughest normal enemies outright, and taking off a huge chunk off a boss' bar). This can be done off all three ways to stagger enemies, i.e. interrupting an attack with a gun shot, using a fully charged R2 attack on an enemy' back, or dealing enough damage on certain boss parts (typically the head).

Other advantages of visceral attacks is being completely invulnerable to attacks by other enemies during the entire animation, and some runes you can equip later on that allow you to do stuff like heal damage or replenish a couple of bullets off them, or get more echoes from enemies defeated with them.

Brakke

Banned
Yo wtf with this guy that works the Gatling gun in Old Yarnham though. My visceral attack did like 1/10th damage to him but his shotgun can take me in three... That guy is vicious, maybe tougher than Father G?

Yo wtf with this guy that works the Gatling gun in Old Yarnham though. My visceral attack did like 1/10th damage to him but his shotgun can take me in three... That guy is vicious, maybe tougher than Father G?

Throw him to the airlock with a well place barrage of bullets

rtcn63

You can knock him off on the platform, which is an instant kill. I ended up doing it by accident. A win's a win.

Skii

Anyone up for co-oping The witches with me? I'm level 115 NG+. Never did co-op on my first play through and I'm just trying to get back into the swing of things before I buy the DLC.

I'm hardcore, I swear :(

Pompadour

Hmm I'm not sure how to do this but I'll try. Does he stay dead? Seems like he should.

He does. My wife had the hardest time with him. She watched as I fought him the first time and I immediately threw a Molotov that he dodged by rolling off the building to his death. She was pretty pissed.

Skii

He does. My wife had the hardest time with him. She watched as I fought him the first time and I immediately threw a Molotov that he dodged by rolling off the building to his death. She was pretty pissed.

I actually fought him properly on my NG+. But he fell off near the end. Took me around 3 tries before he committed suicide but I'm sure I would've beat him if he stayed up there a little longer.

Brakke

Banned
Managed to knock that hunter off his perch by swapping back to the pistol: just unloaded on him as soon as I reached the top of the ladder and it pushed him back. Suckah!

Now on to the Blood/Starved Beast. Have a shortcut so it's super easy to run to the fight. He's kind of tough. V easy to parry early on but eventually he always gets me poisoned or grabs me and eats me while I'm hanging around waiting for a parry opportunity. Got a helpful note outside that he's weak to fire. Considering grinding a bunch of cash to buy a stock of molotovs: maybe I'll fight him legit until his third poison-leaking form and then just chuck grenades at him until he's char and ash.

Seems like the NPC summon is a trap. Dude gets double HP or so...

Dudes this game is so good. That blood-starved beast lookin' thing hung on the chandelier of the Old Yarnham cathedral was rad. Finding a way to light it on fire was rad even though it didn't "do" anything.

So I noticed summoning that buddy cost me an Insight. I don't get Insight yet. Should I be actively managing it? Like trying to keep it low by buying things in the Dream or always summoning? I haven't used any Madman's Knowledge yet: should I be? If not, what should I be banking it for?

RiggyRob

Managed to knock that hunter off his perch by swapping back to the pistol: just unloaded on him as soon as I reached the top of the ladder and it pushed him back. Suckah!

Now on to the Blood/Starved Beast. Have a shortcut so it's super easy to run to the fight. He's kind of tough. V easy to parry early on but eventually he always gets me poisoned or grabs me and eats me while I'm hanging around waiting for a parry opportunity. Got a helpful note outside that he's weak to fire. Considering grinding a bunch of cash to buy a stock of molotovs: maybe I'll fight him legit until his third poison-leaking form and then just chuck grenades at him until he's char and ash.

Dudes this game is so good. That blood-starved beast lookin' thing hung on the chandelier of the Old Yarnham cathedral was rad. Finding a way to light it on fire was rad even though it didn't "do" anything.

So I noticed summoning that buddy cost me an Insight. I don't get Insight yet. Should I be actively managing it? Like trying to keep it low by buying things in the Dream or always summoning? I haven't used any Madman's Knowledge yet: should I be? If not, what should I be banking it for?

For a first time player, I'd say get it as high as possible as early as possible, but feel free to buy the armour/useful items in the Insight shop.

I've never beaten Djura legit, though it's not intentional. Whenever, I reach the top of the ladder and start fighting him, after a couple engagements, either I fall off due to a mistimed dodge, or he falls off. That area is way too small for a Hunter Vs Hunter fight.

If you can Visceral BSB, then just stay close to him all the time, no matter the phase. All his attacks when you're right in his face are punishable with a correctly timed gun-stun -> Visceral.

As for insight, it's like a secondary currency. You can use it to buy extra stuff from the insight shop (stuff like Blood rocks, chunks etc. which are found in limited quantities within the game), for co-op and for seeing some additional effects in the world around you. Some enemies and bosses have different attack tendencies if you have high insight. For example, in the Cathedral Ward area, if you have insight over 15, those Church guardians with lanterns will fire homing arcane missiles at you. Also, an optional boss in the game will be more aggressive with his arcane attacks if you have high insight.

Got this for Christmas and I've been slowly working my way through it. Couldn't really get into Dark Souls but this one clicked with me pretty quickly. I'm doing way better and having a lot more fun.

I've gotten to Old Yharnam but I can't really progress much since, for some reason, enemies seemed to have stopped dropping Blood Vials and bullets completely. I'm sure there was a good reason behind the change to the health system but it feels like how well l'll do is determined more heavily by the RNG.

Archon473

The more enemies are killed in an area, the less they drop items. Returning to an earlier area might work to earn items or buy them from the messenger. Health vials are precious, though. I tend to save them for bosses and only even use them once I can no longer rally to earn back significant health. Try not healing your first time through an area or when fighting a boss. I may seem misdirected to assume you will die and lose the first time, but you'll come back with your inventory intact and have more info on the area or boss. I would work to reach a shortcut or lamp, then challenge myself to not use items when travelling through again. I actually beat Cleric Beast without healing on my friend's new character to show him it's not necessary to stockpile healing items or have to grind for them over again if you die.

RiggyRob

Episode 29, Pimmsy vs. the
second to last final boss, Gehrman, the First Hunter
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbwYZvPzuhE

Pimmsy was laughably over-levelled at this point since she did the final DLC boss before him, and you'll see the sheer amount of damage with the final visceral attack due to her Skill being close to the soft cap, but it was still a decent challenge for her.

Thematically this is one of the best fights in Bloodborne, but it fell into the trap of 'slow walking towards your character into any attacks you choose to use', and I was surprised they did it again with
Lady Maria

Brakke

Banned
The more enemies are killed in an area, the less they drop items. Returning to an earlier area might work to earn items or buy them from the messenger. Health vials are precious, though. I tend to save them for bosses and only even use them once I can no longer rally to earn back significant health. Try not healing your first time through an area or when fighting a boss. I may seem misdirected to assume you will die and lose the first time, but you'll come back with your inventory intact and have more info on the area or boss. I would work to reach a shortcut or lamp, then challenge myself to not use items when travelling through again. I actually beat Cleric Beast without healing on my friend's new character to show him it's not necessary to stockpile healing items or have to grind for them over again if you die.

This is definitely the tough call in this game: deciding whether using your healing item is actually going to be the difference between victory and defeat. If it isn't, then you shouldn't use it and waste it.

I think it's a dumb system. Dark Souls 2 was better, with a guaranteed number of flasks and an economy on consumables. I do really like the counter-attack-to-recover-damage system because it encourages staying in the fight. But then you get things like the Blood Starved Beast where in some cases when you want to counter-attack you're really better off backing up and healing the poison. And certainly in bosses I find it's usually tough to recover damage by counter-attacking: the only time I get hit is because I was sloppy with a dodge or my stamina is out. If I'm hit because I'm in a bad position or didn't have enough stamina to dodge, then I need to spend that recovery window moving to a better position or regenerating stamina.

AEREC

Getting constantly disconnected and sent back to the menu as soon aS I start the game today.

Anyone else having this issue?

Brakke

Banned
So I'm totally stymied by the Blood-Starved Beast. I can't even get him close to dead without spending three or four antidotes, which means I have to keep popping out and grinding to buy more. I'm level 31 or so but I don't think more stats will help. It always comes down to the poison.

Can't decide what to do for weapons. The two I use, Hunter's Axe and Kirkhammer, are only long-reach when the gun is disabled. I want the gun handy to stagger the beast because I lose a war of attrition to the poison: gotta strive hard. But I want a long reach weapon so I *could* chip when the beast is toxic to the touch.

I'm avoiding doing any research on this run but I'm real frustrated right now. Did I miss some poison-resist gear? Is there some way to buy or grind for fire-coating papers? I don't think I have a path forward without beating this thing but I don't think I can do it without some edge.

So I'm totally stymied by the Blood-Starved Beast. I can't even get him close to dead without spending three or four antidotes, which means I have to keep popping out and grinding to buy more. I'm level 31 or so but I don't think more stats will help. It always comes down to the poison.

Can't decide what to do for weapons. The two I use, Hunter's Axe and Kirkhammer, are only long-reach when the gun is disabled. I want the gun handy to stagger the beast because I lose a war of attrition to the poison: gotta strive hard. But I want a long reach weapon so I *could* chip when the beast is toxic to the touch.

I'm avoiding doing any research on this run but I'm real frustrated right now. Did I miss some poison-resist gear? Is there some way to buy or grind for fire-coating papers? I don't think I have a path forward without beating this thing but I don't think I can do it without some edge.

What I do is just do a crazy amount of damage as quickly as possible. I use the saw cleaver, a fire paper or two, and one or two of the beast pellets found in the area. Just never stop attacking and the damage build up should kill him almost quicker than he poisons you.

Brakke

Banned
What's the deal with those pellets? I used one when I got them, it gave me a tiny meter that drained almost immediately...

What's the deal with those pellets? I used one when I got them, it gave me a tiny meter that drained almost immediately...

There's a attribute called Beasthood. When activated (indicted by "dust" coming off your character and an annoying high-pitched whining sound), every attack that connects to an enemy that you do raises the meter that appears. The higher the meter, the more damage you cause. In layman's terms, it means that going completely offensive on an enemy greatly increases the damage that you do it.

To activate beast mode, you have to use a specific weapon you haven't found yet or use a beast pellet. The pellet is temporary while the weapon keeps it activated.

Keep in mind that even though the meter when away quickly, you still had it activated. Just keep attacking while the effect is on and it will go back up.

Obviously, use quick attacking weapons with the pellet.

(Also, this really isn't relevant to you now but to increase Beasthood you have to lower your Insight and wear attire with higher Beasthood.)

So I am on my first playthrough and I will be fighting Amelia soon.

How does this work with the DLC? I know you're supposed to be high level for it, but I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to just buy it now (and unlock it after Amelia or something?) and then come back to it later?

Also, I accidentally summoned an old hunter before the BSB fight (I thought it was just a note). Oops!

So I am on my first playthrough and I will be fighting Amelia soon.

How does this work with the DLC? I know you're supposed to be high level for it, but I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to just buy it now (and unlock it after Amelia or something?) and then come back to it later?

Also, I accidentally summoned an old hunter before the BSB fight (I thought it was just a note). Oops!

You can come back to it at any time after killing Amelia. I bought the DLC at the endgame on a NG+ character three months after the last time I touched it.

You can come back to it at any time after killing Amelia. I bought the DLC at the endgame on a NG+ character three months after the last time I touched it.

Thanks!

Another question, here are my current stats:

Level 35
23 vitality
15 endurance
21 strength
13 skill
7 bloodtinge
6 arcane

I use the saw cleaver mainly, and also the kirkhammer. I'm not sure what I'm going to replace the saw cleaver with (I heard the holy blade is good?), but most likely something strength based and nothing too complicated.

I was just wondering, what do you guys think I should level up? I was thinking maybe stamina? You can tell I've focused on vitality and strength so far. Thanks!

Thanks!

Another question, here are my current stats:

Level 35
23 vitality
15 endurance
21 strength
13 skill
7 bloodtinge
6 arcane

I use the saw cleaver mainly, and also the kirkhammer. I'm not sure what I'm going to replace the saw cleaver with (I heard the holy blade is good?), but most likely something strength based and nothing too complicated.

I was just wondering, what do you guys think I should level up? I was thinking maybe stamina? You can tell I've focused on vitality and strength so far. Thanks!

If you're smart with your stamina, you won't need any more. I was able to beat the game with 12 stamina before. Of course, if you plan on going to high stamina use weapons like the greatsword transformation on Ludwig's Holy Blade, you will need more stamina (like 20, max) to do more than two hits.

You can up the rest of your stamina with a Caryll Rune that you find later.

Moonkid

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had footage of the boss cut scenes saved by any chance. I'm in the process of making a Bloodborne video and would like to include some of the cinematics. I'm currently doing the DLC and have passed most of the main game bosses but I don't wanna rush through NG+ to get the cut scenes again, although I know many of them are optional. I've asked two YouTube channels and they haven't responded so I thought I'd ask here.

More stats will definitely help. 31 may be kind of lowish for BSB for a first run. I typically use one or two antidotes, if that. You can definitely beat it without using antidotes, just heal through the damage.

That is probably your other problem. With beasts your best option is a serrated weapon, they do extra damage to those furry fiends. Using the saw cleaver or saw spear (depending if your build is STR or SKL) may help you turn the tides.

Don't use any items. This boss isn't too difficult if you keep dodging its attacks into it (and a bit to the side), keep close to it and keep attacking like a berserker. Ignore poison except for the fact you have to keep an eye on your life. Using a retracted saw weapon like crazy should do such damage that you both kill it fast and heal back enough damage to keep going.

If all else fails, the BSB is particularly vulnerable to one consumable item that apparently almost trivializes the fight:
The pungent blood cocktail

BSB is actually an optional boss. You don't need to kill him to advance through the main story. Also, if you're a skill-based character and you've got high enough vitality (around 700), I'd recommend that you stand right in his face (except for when he changes stages and screeches like a motherfucker). That way he'll only use attacks that you can easily parry with the gun and follow up with Visceral. Also, you can find the Black Church Set in the Cathedral Ward area which has pretty high poison resist.

2AdEPT

another options is to befriend him, you get all the same rewards and more dialogue/lore obviosuly. There are a couple area and boss spoilers here so be forwarned.

So I'm totally stymied by the Blood-Starved Beast. .
Yeah this guy isnt as bad as you think....although this vid makes him look easy and indeed the axe does wreck him as it stuns hi and prevents his tirade. I show how I manage healign and antidote use int eh video. ANohter optins is to use the pungent blood bombs, he loves them more than any other beast in the game. Of note is that he is particularly weak to serated weapons and fire so using a Saw clever buffed wiith fire will destroy him much faster than my axe did even.

He can be pareid, but my advice is simply to dodge TOWARD him and to the side of him and get behind him. This startegy works so well on this boss that it trivializes the fight. Spank his/her (I think some people call her a she) arse.

Top Bottom