• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

2AdEPT

I just befriended Djura tonight, was pretty easy. And then I came back to kill him so I could buy his gear, but he ran off the roof to his death. :lol

pretty sure you get the option to buy his gear regardless as he gives you the powder puff badge or whatever and then the stuff shows up in the dream. But maybe you dont get all items like his armour unless you kill him? Can anyone confirm?

pretty sure you get the option to buy his gear regardless as he gives you the powder puff badge or whatever and then the stuff shows up in the dream. But maybe you dont get all items like his armour unless you kill him? Can anyone confirm?

Oh I think you're right, just looking at the wiki. Doesn't matter, already got everything I needed out of him. Funny to see him run off the edge though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I am beyond gelatinous, where did you get this?
:D
Yeah, it was the PlayStation Gear Store for the print - there was a time where a new print would come out every three weeks, but it's been a month and a half since the last one. The frame was the "Bloodbourniest" custom frame moulding I saw at a local art shop.

Archon473

And certainly in bosses I find it's usually tough to recover damage by counter-attacking: the only time I get hit is because I was sloppy with a dodge or my stamina is out. If I'm hit because I'm in a bad position or didn't have enough stamina to dodge, then I need to spend that recovery window moving to a better position or regenerating stamina.

There is this knee-jerk reaction to getting hit that makes a player scream, "I gotta heal now!" But stopping to heal when you are wide open leaves you open to getting hit once again and losing the very health you just regained. In Dark Souls, I knew which enemy attacks gave me an opportunity to hit them after blocking or rolling. If I needed to heal, I basically spent that opportunity healing instead of attacking. Still, you need the opportunity. In Bloodborne, I agree with you regarding rallying. Just because they hit you doesn't mean it's your turn to hit them. It is very hard I feel to create opportunities to attack. Rallying sort of compensates for the fact that enemies can attack just as fast as you and striking at them is always dangerous. You may have to wait for them to swing a second time after hitting you and try to make them whiff. Like healing in Dark Souls, Rallying needs an opening to attack. You have to recognize opportunity against enemies and bosses because it is very hard to create it on your own.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah this guy isnt as bad as you think....although this vid makes him look easy and indeed the axe does wreck him as it stuns hi and prevents his tirade. I show how I manage healign and antidote use int eh video. ANohter optins is to use the pungent blood bombs, he loves them more than any other beast in the game. Of note is that he is particularly weak to serated weapons and fire so using a Saw clever buffed wiith fire will destroy him much faster than my axe did even.

He can be pareid, but my advice is simply to dodge TOWARD him and to the side of him and get behind him. This startegy works so well on this boss that it trivializes the fight. Spank his/her (I think some people call her a she) arse.

Prey Slaughtered! Thanks for the tips everyone. That video is bonkers, my BSB was using way more varied attacks than that video shows... But I ended up abandoning parrying and using an extended Hunter Axe. Had some moments where I just went and hid to wait for poison accumulation to drain but emerged victorious. Finished the fight with a Molotov just for the satisfaction of torching that jackass.

The progression here is weird. BSB resides at a dead end. Didn't know what the heck to do and was glad the old hunter in the Dream told me to "ascend Odeon". Figured it out but I was real worried right after my victory that it didn't open any path up.

Dahbomb

Prey Slaughtered! Thanks for the tips everyone. That video is bonkers, my BSB was using way more varied attacks than that video shows... But I ended up abandoning parrying and using an extended Hunter Axe. Had some moments where I just went and hid to wait for poison accumulation to drain but emerged victorious. Finished the fight with a Molotov just for the satisfaction of torching that jackass.

The progression here is weird. BSB resides at a dead end. Didn't know what the heck to do and was glad the old hunter in the Dream told me to "ascend Odeon". Figured it out but I was real worried right after my victory that it didn't open any path up.

I just saw the video and the boss is glitched in it. I saw the date of that video and it's from March and it make sense.

There was a glitch when you used the resume function of the game which caused the boss AI to be locked into using like 1-2 moves at the most. I remember it being the case for Mergo and Logarius. That's what is happening here in the video, this boss does not just use that single swipe for the entire fight.

Hey um so I'm pretty much at the end of my first playthrough. The Hunter's dream is on fire and I never encounted Eileen the Crow. Does anyone know where I might find her? I was told the Grand Cathedral however I couldn't find her there.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
How do you save your progress in this game? I just started playing an hour and a half ago and made it up to the bridge/overpass that has two dog like enemies on it and died. Now, im near the beginning and worse, I have to fight all the enemies that I already defeated. Is the entire game like this? Where are the save points?

Dahbomb

How do you save your progress in this game? I just started playing an hour and a half ago and made it up to the bridge/overpass that has two dog like enemies on it and died. Now, im near the beginning and worse, I have to fight all the enemies that I already defeated. Is the entire game like this? Where are the save points?
The game auto saves progress. When you die you are sent back to the last Lamppost and all enemies respawn (bosses and Hunters don't). If you use the lamppost to rest or go back to Hunter's dream then enemies respawn as well.

There are no checkpoints but there are short cuts in the area that you can unlock which act like chdckpoints. So if you die at a boss if you unlocked a shortcut you can get back to the boss quick.

So you have to explore a lot in the game.

Couple tips:
- you can actually run past most of those enemies in the beginning of the game. Most of them won't follow you, so you can just run past the big bonfire area.
- you can upgrade your character after you reach the first boss, which is on that bridge you were at IIRC. you could always just run forward a bit there to trigger the boss, then you can start to beef up your stats a bit.
- there is a way to cheese those two wolves if you're having trouble, you basically run past them and there are stairs on the left down into a house (there's a dude standing at the top of the stairs). the wolves will chase you but they can't fit through the door, so you can poke them to death.

edit:
the next place you can spawn from will open up after you beat the first boss.

Brakke

Banned
Any tips for Blood-Starved Beast? Also, what do I need to buy to summon the one guy that helps me near that boss?

I had trouble with him, the last page is spattered with tips people gave me. Look for posts quoting me. Real quick: he's easy to stagger but it isn't necessary; bring some antidotes (bath buddies should sell them); he's weak to fire; he seems to respond to Pungent Blood Cocktails but I didn't use them except one to test it. Stay close to him, dodge, punish. Use a longer-reach weapon, probably.

Summon with the beckoning bell; little message buddies in the Dream just give it to you. I think the summon is a trap but you do you.

Any tips for Blood-Starved Beast? Also, what do I need to buy to summon the one guy that helps me near that boss?

Bring antidotes
Bring fire paper
Use Alfred if you can
BSB have a noticeable heavy right attack evade and hit then wait for another opening
When BSB starts to scream hit him but run away if you see the poison indication
His grab is nearly and instant kill
Dont rush it, he will fall eventually
Falco and Fox only, final destination

Donos

Welcome to Soulsborne. You are going to hate this, but if you stick to it, you are going to love it :). Whole game is like this (except bosses and special enemies like hunters).

Respawning enemies help you to "git gud" and also help to lvl up. Repeated encounters help you to learn their moveset.
Save points (lamps) are scarce but there are a lot of shortcuts you can open, which always lead to former lamps. So advance really carefully. If enemies are to tough, avoid them / run past them (two big wolfes) or cheese them or divide them when in groups and 1on1 them. Have fun.

Good tip is: dodge forward/left or forward/right into an attack. You have a small window of invincibility. In the beginning you instinctly dodge back or sideways but forward brings you right besides/behind enemies/bosses for good damage.

One of the two first bosses (graveyard) will be really tough as beginner but after it, it gets better.

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
Started playing about a week ago and I love it. Found it fairly easy until I got to
spider guy
- what a dick.

Fuck those head sucker guys I hate them
Fuck those big guys with the bags - I have a hard time with them

I'm using the hunter axe +6 should I keep using it and upgrading it as I can or should I be looking for another weapon? I wasn't using my gun at all but now us a +6 canon which only gives me one shot but wrecks stuff.

Oh and I keep accidentally hitting NPCs. They look like enemies so I attack them before I realize who they are. Then I've got a seriously tough fight on my hands. Boo to that

Donos

Started playing about a week ago and I love it. Found it fairly easy until I got to
spider guy
- what a dick.

Fuck those head sucker guys I hate them
Fuck those big guys with the bags - I have a hard time with them

I'm using the hunter axe +6 should I keep using it and upgrading it as I can or should I be looking for another weapon? I wasn't using my gun at all but now us a +6 canon which only gives me one shot but wrecks stuff.

Oh and I keep accidentally hitting NPCs. They look like enemies so I attack them before I realize who they are. Then I've got a seriously tough fight on my hands. Boo to that

:lol that's one of the worst things you can do. At least in Dark Souls I & II you could reset their agro but in Demon's Souls you were fucked. You messed with Eileen (crow garb and mask) and she gave you a good spank? She has a good quest if you meet her a few times.

Didn't use a gun (shotty) and parry till half the game but some bosses/hunters and big enemies are way easier when you parry them. Switched to pistol, which shoots way faster then the shotty and parry became really easy. Those brick giants are good for parry training.

You can maybe try Ludwig's Holy Sword aka "easy mode" like some say but better have some materials for upgrade or the dmg will be bad compared to your +6 Axe.

kewlmyc

Yes,
Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen
defeated and the chalice dungeons are now complete. Had some difficulty with
her stupid capture/grab move, but it never activated when I switched to the threaded cane. After that, the boss was kinda easy. Just shoot her clones, then use the threaded cane on the real one to stunlock her until she vanishes, then repeat.
Time to search for runes and gems.

Maria is wrecking my shit on my Bloodtinge NG character, which is funny because I defeated her in like two tries with my main in NG+. I've got her to like 5% a couple times only for her to destroy me, that stings. :D Pretty awesome battle though.

Maria is wrecking my shit on my Bloodtinge NG character, which is funny because I defeated her in like two tries with my main in NG+. I've got her to like 5% a couple times only for her to destroy me, that stings. :D Pretty awesome battle though.
Well if her armor is anything to go by she has a high blood attack resistance.

I am pretty sure she is resistance to blood

RiggyRob

Episode 30, Pimmsy vs.
the final boss, Moon Presence
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKNuKGT3azE

Again, as she was extremely overlevelled this wasn't too hard of a fight, and I'd argue that
Moon Presence
looks scarier than it actually is. The
red flash that reduces you to 1 HP is only really deadly if you get hit by the blood bubble meaning you can't heal as well - as long as you keep your distance and you've got the vials to compensate for it, it effectively does nothing.

And that concludes Pimmsy's NG playthrough! (although you may have already seen she's well on her way through NG+). She plays games in a very different way that I do - she doesn't care about story and will mash through it just to get back to playing, so Bloodborne continually progressing to the next cycle is actually perfect for her, even if she doesn't care about the story connotations of it.

FixatedMouth

Neo Member
:lol that's one of the worst things you can do. At least in Dark Souls I & II you could reset their agro but in Demon's Souls you were fucked. You messed with Eileen (crow garb and mask) and she gave you a good spank? She has a good quest if you meet her a few times.

Didn't use a gun (shotty) and parry till half the game but some bosses/hunters and big enemies are way easier when you parry them. Switched to pistol, which shoots way faster then the shotty and parry became really easy. Those brick giants are good for parry training.

You can maybe try Ludwig's Holy Sword aka "easy mode" like some say but better have some materials for upgrade or the dmg will be bad compared to your +6 Axe.

Yup the crow lady and some guy with a big hammer. Had to cheese them both as they destroyed me multiple times. Got Ludwigs blade to +6 and it decent. trying the wheel weapon now too.

Kind of at a standstill now. Im at the
hidden city
I think its called and I'm getting destroyed. Not sure if I need to farm to level up a bit or if i missed some areas that i should of done first.

And I'm pissed that I went back to the church and found the NPCs I sent there dead. I knew right away who did it and he is going to die. Hope i didn't loose out on anything!

Amazing game. My first playstation game and I'm glad I bought a ps4 just for this!

Yup the crow lady and some guy with a big hammer. Had to cheese them both as they destroyed me multiple times. Got Ludwigs blade to +6 and it decent. trying the wheel weapon now too.

Kind of at a standstill now. Im at the
hidden city
I think its called and I'm getting destroyed. Not sure if I need to farm to level up a bit or if i missed some areas that i should of done first.

And I'm pissed that I went back to the church and found the NPCs I sent there dead. I knew right away who did it and he is going to die. Hope i didn't loose out on anything!

Amazing game. My first playstation game and I'm glad I bought a ps4 just for this!
Lol should've sent him to Iosefka. She's got the good medicine.

Brakke

Banned
Think I've hit my stride with this game. Shattered Darkbeast in two tries, took down Amelia the first time I went to fight her for real (stumbled about the chapel earlier but went off exploring and found the Charnel area before returning). That Witch(es) boss was cute but mad easy if you just ignore the summoned monsters. After Amelia I went straight through the Pthemeru Challice and just shredded that dog boss.

Is Ludwig's blade just totally OP? I find it way easier to wield (and longer reach) than Kirkhammer, which had been my fave, and now with runes and high strength my charged attacks are doing like 1/5th or more of boss health per stab...

Love this lightning mace. The attack patterns are kind of bad but it's so cool to flourish it to ignite it that I always have it equipped so I can just do that whenever.

Progression in this game seems kind dumb though. Beating Bloodstarved left me confused until I happened to pop back to the Dream which led to a door faraway having opened for no good reason... Beating Witch(es) results in a good reward but no path forward (?). And then Darkbeast just gave me a different path into Old Yarnham, which is a dead end? Huh? Killing Vicar gave me a mysterious cutscene and I think it's nighttime now? But I don't know where is next. Nobody in the Dream indicates a path forward.

Also: I have a Pthemeru Root Challice in addition to the regular Challice. Wassup there? I liked the first Challice dungeon, it was cute, but rewards seemed unimpressive and now I have two chalices (depth 2 Pthemeru and Root Pthemeru) and I don't know how are they different and are they even worth bothering with?

I dunno. This series is pretty infamous for obfuscated systems and under-stated lore and all so I was primed to expect this, but this one is feeling a bit worse than the previous games. Even discovering the Unseen Village was whack, getting kidnapped by that bag guy. I guess it's good that Darkbeast doesn't seem necessary because I was real mad for a bit there thinking that getting kidnapped was the intended route forward.

Think I've hit my stride with this game. Shattered Darkbeast in two tries, took down Amelia the first time I went to fight her for real (stumbled about the chapel earlier but went off exploring and found the Charnel area before returning). That Witch(es) boss was cute but mad easy if you just ignore the summoned monsters. After Amelia I went straight through the Pthemeru Challice and just shredded that dog boss.

Is Ludwig's blade just totally OP? I find it way easier to wield (and longer reach) than Kirkhammer, which had been my fave, and now with runes and high strength my charged attacks are doing like 1/5th or more of boss health per stab...

Love this lightning mace. The attack patterns are kind of bad but it's so cool to flourish it to ignite it that I always have it equipped so I can just do that whenever.

Progression in this game seems kind dumb though. Beating Bloodstarved left me confused until I happened to pop back to the Dream which led to a door faraway having opened for no good reason... Beating Witch(es) results in a good reward but no path forward (?). And then Darkbeast just gave me a different path into Old Yarnham, which is a dead end? Huh? Killing Vicar gave me a mysterious cutscene and I think it's nighttime now? But I don't know where is next. Nobody in the Dream indicates a path forward.

Also: I have a Pthemeru Root Challice in addition to the regular Challice. Wassup there? I liked the first Challice dungeon, it was cute, but rewards seemed unimpressive and now I have two chalices (depth 2 Pthemeru and Root Pthemeru) and I don't know how are they different and are they even worth bothering with?

I dunno. This series is pretty infamous for obfuscated systems and under-stated lore and all so I was primed to expect this, but this one is feeling a bit worse than the previous games. Even discovering the Unseen Village was whack, getting kidnapped by that bag guy. I guess it's good that Darkbeast doesn't seem necessary because I was real mad for a bit there thinking that getting kidnapped was the intended route forward.

There is no shame in looking at a walkthrough if you need guidance on where to go next. I've used a Game Faqs one quite to make sure I was trekking along in the right direction. I didn't want to miss any optional bosses.

Grassy

I've been powering through this game the last few days, I've beaten 5 bosses(Witches, Blood-starved Beast, Darkbeast Paarl and Shadow of Yharnam all on my first attempt which surprised me) and have been really enjoying it. Well, until I got to Amygdala yesterday...fuck me, that was a frustrating fight. More so because on my second attempt I had it down to a sliver of health, and I got stomped. Finally beat the prick today and I was shaking because it was so intense. I think it was about my 15th attempt, I had to buy some Blood Vials with it's Blood Echoes because I used my 60-odd stockpile up...

Onto Cainhurst Castle now.

Dmax3901

Evading into his attacks is the trick for that guy. When facing him head on, I would aim my evade at his right leg (my left). It works on the lunge and swipe. Run away when you see the hulk clap or ground pound

I have been trying this tonight. I got him to a sliver of health, seriously it looked like his health bar was empty, then I got combo'd to death. I could barely believe it. So mad.

Any other tricks for Ailing Loran Abhorrent Beast anyone?

EDIT: Got him! That's the most heart-pounding boss I've fought since BSB in the main game, gonna have a heart attack at this rate.

Donos

If you want a challenge (and the platinum trophy), unlock defiled chalice and write back to us :)

Roadmap for chalices (need to clear the orange ones) > higher dephts > harder. Here is the wiki entry for materials you need for some of these chalices, to get to the queen)

Beating VA opens a door which was closed before. Maybe you remember where this was. It's rather close.

If you want a challenge (and the platinum trophy), unlock defiled chalice and write back to us :)

Defiled Amygdala can fuck straight off.

Side note, there's no way to use Glyphs with this game if I don't have PS+ is there? I really don't want to pay for a service just to try and grind for more blood rocks/gems. What's the next best thing, rolling through low-level dungeons for the insight shop rocks?

Started on a third character as a strict bloodtinge chikage build (my first was supposed to be skill/blood but ended up being EVERYTHING). As much as I'd like a character made with pvp in mind, I can't help leveling up and wanting to invest on more vitality and then on other stats like arcane to use the beast roar or hunter bone. I'm also dangerously close to level 100, and I'm still not satisfied with this character. Loved her at first, breezed through the game insanely fast with just some help here and there, but then stuff like chalice bosses started taking less damage, pvp totally sucked for me as an invader or cooperator. This is mostly true for my other two characters, though, which means I kinda really suck at pvp!

I think I'm giving up on pvp, as much as I wanted to care for it (at least as an invader, I LOVE to leave the bell woman alive). I think I'm just gonna keep raising stats and see if I can start getting good blood gems. I also really want to see if the highest tier rapid poison gems can do anything interesting.

Here's my queen (just a variation of the same character I first made)

jCyXnO.png

Always a challenge to have the dress on.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Welcome to Soulsborne. You are going to hate this, but if you stick to it, you are going to love it :). Whole game is like this (except bosses and special enemies like hunters).

Respawning enemies help you to "git gud" and also help to lvl up. Repeated encounters help you to learn their moveset.
Save points (lamps) are scarce but there are a lot of shortcuts you can open, which always lead to former lamps. So advance really carefully. If enemies are to tough, avoid them / run past them (two big wolfes) or cheese them or divide them when in groups and 1on1 them. Have fun.

Good tip is: dodge forward/left or forward/right into an attack. You have a small window of invincibility. In the beginning you instinctly dodge back or sideways but forward brings you right besides/behind enemies/bosses for good damage.

One of the two first bosses (graveyard) will be really tough as beginner but after it, it gets better.
Rom, Ebrietas, Watchdog of the of Old Lords would like a word with you.....thats just for starters.

Brakke

Banned

Roadmap for chalices (need to clear the orange ones) > higher dephts > harder

Beating VA opens a door which was closed before. Maybe you remember where this was. It's rather close.

Hey cool thanks for this schematic.

Yeah after I posted that I went wandering through the Cathedral area to kill the big dudes and replenish my Blood Vial stocks, rediscovered that password door I'd totally forgotten. Now I have a thing that lets me go through a door guarded by an invisible giant grabber-monster (I think), a Cainhurst Summons ("Bafflingly, it is addressed to you." had me shook lol), and more of the Woods to explore. This is how I like it!

Is it worth buying the ashen set or henryk's hunter set at the insight shop? I'm not too far in, at Amelia right now. And only a couple layers into the chalice dungeons.

edit: actually I think I'm going to do the second dungeon so that I can buy the bone ash set.

Brakke

Banned
Henryk's has heavy bolt resistance. There's at least one boss I've encountered who very obviously does bolt damage.

I think the set looks like trash though. I ditched it once I slaughtered my prey.

Dahbomb

Is it worth buying the ashen set or henryk's hunter set at the insight shop? I'm not too far in, at Amelia right now. And only a couple layers into the chalice dungeons.

edit: actually I think I'm going to do the second dungeon so that I can buy the bone ash set.
Ashen Hunter set has good balance of physical and blood resistance whereas the Henryk has good lightning resistance.

There are only 2-3 instances I can think of where you need high lightning res and none of them are mandatory in the game. The Blood resistance also isn't used that much but the stat balance is better.

It's not bad to spend the Insight anyway just have a bunch in case you plan to summon an NPC or for co-op.

Ashen Hunter set has good balance of physical and blood resistance whereas the Henryk has good lightning resistance.

There are only 2-3 instances I can think of where you need high lightning res and none of them are mandatory in the game. The Blood resistance also isn't used that much but the stat balance is better.

It's not bad to spend the Insight anyway just have a bunch in case you plan to summon an NPC or for co-op.

Thanks, I've been mostly hoarding my insight so I think I'll buy some sets. Cheers.

Rom, Ebrietas, Watchdog of the of Old Lords would like a word with you.....thats just for starters.

Of the vanilla, non-chalice bosses, Gascoine was the hardest for me too. Rom is manageable if you kill the spiders first, and for some reason, I've murdered Ebrietas with both characters that fought her (I even made a point to go there before finishing Mergo's Loft with the second one).

Of course, many of the chalice bosses are bastards (undead giant, watchdog, abhorrent beast, and pretty much anything in a defiled dungeon). And most of the DLC bosses are murderers. :D

I do believe she's weak to fire and maybe bolt as well.

Thanks a lot, time to switch to my fire weapon then!

Of the vanilla, non-chalice bosses, Gascoine was the hardest for me too. Rom is manageable if you kill the spiders first, and for some reason, I've murdered Ebrietas with both characters that fought her (I even made a point to go there before finishing Mergo's Loft with the second one).

Of course, many of the chalice bosses are bastards (undead giant, watchdog, abhorrent beast, and pretty much anything in a defiled dungeon). And most of the DLC bosses are murderers. :D
I actually don't think Abhorrent Beast is too bad if you know how to dodge his attacks. Having a +10 weapon helps as well. He can definitely be a problem though, but oddly enough he's one of my favorites cause when you thread the needle just right with your dodging it's an excellent and fun fight.

Donos

I actually don't think Abhorrent Beast is too bad if you know how to dodge his attacks. Having a +10 weapon helps as well. He can definitely be a problem though, but oddly enough he's one of my favorites cause when you thread the needle just right with your dodging it's an excellent and fun fight.

Yep, that's why he reminded me of Manus (Dark Souls DLC boss). Constant attacks and little room to breath but really fun to fight.

Mutombo

if you havent killed him; he is easy as long as you just roll leftwards, or sometimes you don't even have to dodge, you can just strafe left, and while he's stuck in one of his combos you can just hammer away at his backside.

you can parry him, but if you miss one of your parries he will grab you and kill you, so it's a higher risk/reward than just hugging his left side and hammering away. Just learn to time.

The latter part you have to keep more distance and play a little more waiting game and have some antidotes ready. Other than that the same applies.

Yep, that's why he reminded me of Manus (Dark Souls DLC boss). Constant attacks and little room to breath but really fun to fight.
Yeah it's almost like a dance that fight. Especially the second one since the arena is so small. It's all about managing the space and reading tells.

Top Bottom