• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Ethelwulf

Finally beat the Cleric Beast! Probably my 4th try on him (and my first real Souls-type game I've gotten into). Man that felt satisfying finally taking him down. Probably laughable to most of you now but it's my first accomplishment feeling in this game so I'll take it.

Keep it up man! This game will take your soul. No regrets here.

Tak3n

Banned
Nightmare of Mensis

Seriously! WTF, did they sit there and think up ways to kill you consecutively

pvp Invaders...check
Hunters...Check
Frenzy...Check
Boulder throwers...Check
Silverbeasts...Check
multiple spiders...Check

and that is only the first fucking bit!...this area can just do one

Nightmare of Mensis

Seriously! WTF, did they sit there and think up ways to kill you consecutively

pvp Invaders...check
Hunters...Check
Frenzy...Check
Boulder throwers...Check
Silverbeasts...Check
multiple spiders...Check

and that is only the first fucking bit!...this area can just do one
You forgot to mention the worms that pop out of the silverbeasts after you kill them that are a pain in the ass to hit with most weapons.

Coppanuva

Keep it up man! This game will take your soul. No regrets here.

Yeah I'm planning on it. Kinda excited since it's the first time I've actually been able to play one of these. I tried the first Dark Souls and just couldn't get past the giant demon on the bridge and ragequit forever. Definitely liking this one a lot more, the setting and gameplay is so much more appealing to m.

myco666

You forgot to mention the worms that pop out of the silverbeasts after you kill them that are a pain in the ass to hit with most weapons.

Fuck those things. Everyone keeps talking about how the Chalice Bell Maidens are the worst but these guys just ugh. I have hard time hitting them with any weapon.

Yeah I'm planning on it. Kinda excited since it's the first time I've actually been able to play one of these. I tried the first Dark Souls and just couldn't get past the giant demon on the bridge and ragequit forever. Definitely liking this one a lot more, the setting and gameplay is so much more appealing to m.

Cleric Beast is actually very similiar to Taurus Demon to the point I would call it a homage. Both takes place on a bridge, it jumps on you from other end of the bridge and the moveset has similarities.

Tak3n

Banned
I just got Blood Rock, needed a guide on that bit, who the hell would randomly figure out that to stand there for 60 secs with make contact expression to get a rune off the brain?

anyways, I am up to Wet Nurse, should I now do the DLC? I am level 75, or can I finish the game then do it before NG+ or when you beat the final boss do you automatically go NG+

Fuck those things. Everyone keeps talking about how the Chalice Bell Maidens are the worst but these guys just ugh. I have hard time hitting them with any weapon.
The only bell maidens worth complaining about are the spider ones, especially if there's more than one of them and they have enough time to spawn a lot of spiders. They're only really "WTF" bad in the Loran chalices on those specific floors because they'll just send an army of those damn things at you. I think when I was killed by a swarm it was in a narrow corridor and I was trying to fight off like 10 of those things. The worms can go to hell period though.
I just got Blood Rock, needed a guide on that bit, who the hell would randomly figure out that to stand there for 60 secs with make contact expression to get a rune off the brain?

anyways, I am up to Wet Nurse, should I now do the DLC? I am level 75, or can I finish the game then do it before NG+ or when you beat the final boss do you automatically go NG+
Kill the wet nurse and then do the dlc. I can't imagine doing the dlc at NG+ that low leveled, I've never even beaten the game that low leveled.

myco666

People still figured that out on their own. I just don't get how they figured it out but some did.

I would do DLC now since you will miss some additional dialogue from the Doll if you kill MWN before doing DLC.

The only bell maidens worth complaining about are the spider ones, especially if there's more than one of them and they have enough time to spawn a lot of spiders. They're only really "WTF" bad in the Loran chalices on those specific floors because they'll just send an army of those damn things at you. I think when I was killed by a swarm it was in a narrow corridor and I was trying to fight off like 10 of those things. The worms can go to hell period though.

I didn't really have any problems with those. When I saw one coming I just start running where it came from and rush down the Maiden. Works very well at least for me.

I didn't really have any problems with those. When I saw one coming I just start running where it came from and rush down the Maiden. Works very well at least for me.
I've had swarms come at me while I was trying to run up some stair several times. Trying to run passed and roll through 10 spiders on a set of stairs is either not easy or impossible. Trying to fight off one of those Loran wolves while dodging 10 spiders, isn't fun. I've died some crazy deaths dealing with those things.

Tak3n

Banned
I am noticing a lot less messages on the DLC :( walked right into a bad situation, you can usually tell some bad shit is coming up due to the amount of messages on the floor

If you kill the dudes with fire
I lie
and visceral attacks those thing dont pop up.

I am noticing a lot less messages on the DLC :( walked right into a bad situation, you can usually tell some bad shit is coming up due to the amount of messages on the floor

Bloodstains are more important than messages

neoemonk

I've been kind of on the fence on pushing through for the platinum. All I have left in Old Hunters is Laurence, but in the main game I still have to get a few weapons and hunter tools in NG+ that I missed my first time through the game, and I have to dive into the Chalice Dungeons as well. Worried about Souls fatigue going into Dark Souls III...but I also want to keep playing this!

Restarting the game with a new character, still love this game and lost hours into it. Still hate the Cleric Beast, not because he is a bad boss but because the camera is a bitch to work with. Yeah I can beat Alma without dying, Cleric Beast, the camera just goes nope, going to jump behind you now so you can't see the boss and oh you died.

Restarting the game with a new character, still love this game and lost hours into it. Still hate the Cleric Beast, not because he is a bad boss but because the camera is a bitch to work with. Yeah I can beat Alma without dying, Cleric Beast, the camera just goes nope, going to jump behind you now so you can't see the boss and oh you died.
Leave Cleric Beast until later, he dies so quickly you won't even notice how bad the camera is!

neoemonk

Something embarrassing happened... I had finished the DLC but it turns out I missed a boss. Actually happy because I was missing Bloodborne...

One of them is pretty easy to miss. I found the item to unlock the boss but didn't understand how to use it so I just looked the item up.

One of them is pretty easy to miss. I found the item to unlock the boss but didn't understand how to use it so I just looked the item up.

I was listening to the DLC soundtrack and I came across one I didn't recognise. Checked the name on Google, lo and behold I had missed him completely. Promptly told my brother and we gave it a try. Its
Laurence
by the way if there was any ever doubt. I coop with my brother so we have (after a load of tries) beaten him in his game, we'll do mine tomorrow.

Its pretty lucky that PS+ offered me a 2 day trial. Fed up with paying for online play.

Brakke

Banned
I just killed Micholash last night. I loved Mensis, the Frenzy Window was cool and unique (?). Plus I like all the elevators that open up as you go, and the spliced animals were surprising.

I just killed Micholash last night. I loved Mensis, the Frenzy Window was cool and unique (?). Plus I like all the elevators that open up as you go, and the spliced animals were surprising.
I would've loved to see more mash ups. Imagine hunters with crow heads.

One of my friends told me the crows in the starter zone yelled like dogs, he wasnt wrong.

The spiders with human heads on Mensis were so bizarre

Brakke

Banned
Any tips for Ebrietas? She hits like a truck and its really hard to get behind her consistently.

Just beat that sucker. She's Kin, weak to bolt and to thrust. I had a Ludwig's Greatsword with a couple bolt paper. Her head is definitely a weak point so hang out in front and try to bait the attack where she body slams and puts her head on the ground, then wail on her. I got a stagger and a visceral out of that. Also, she's apparently interrupt-able: for her last third she wasn't attacking at all, I was putting up enough damage that she was perpetually on tilt.

Be sure to have a +9 weapon ready and lightning paper, how much is your vit? less than 30 vit ebrietas can instant kill you with her charge attack

Timeaisis

Well, I hit the brick wall that is Vicar Amelia again. I have no idea what it is about this boss that makes her so difficult, but I can't beat her for the life of me. Might have to call in another hunter again. Had to do it the first two times I played the game, as well. :\

Ugh. Any tips with Hunter Axe? I can get her to like 1/3 but then she goes on a rampage.

Well, I hit the brick wall that is Vicar Amelia again. I have no idea what it is about this boss that makes her so difficult, but I can't beat her for the life of me. Might have to call in another hunter again. Had to do it the first two times I played the game, as well. :\

Ugh. Any tips with Hunter Axe? I can get her to like 1/3 but then she goes on a rampage.
Use fire paper and dodge. I've always just cane whipped her to submission, but whenever I roll strength I can't. Use the flamesprayer if you have high enough arcane. That shit melted her ass, I dyed laughing when it knocked her out of her healing animation.

Any tips for Ebrietas? She hits like a truck and its really hard to get behind her consistently.
Try to bait her charge attack to get the timing down. Will probably require some patience because you'll want to constantly make sure you have enough room behind you. Once you can anticipate her range , you'll be able to time your own attack. Also pay attention to her head. She draws it back a bit before the charge.

I'm focusing on this one attack since that's probably the one to give you the most trouble. You could stay close to her and pray she does the head slam or tentacle slash. Phase 2 she has an arcane attack that you can dodge by rolling left, right, left( I think)

Persona7

Banned
this is how I feel trying to invade in hemwick

tumblr_misrxivl4L1qdxd3qo1_500.png

lol @ that chalice dungeon skip you can do that takes you to the boss if your friend has already cleared the dungeon.

Can someone quick tell me how co-op works in a story chalice dungeon?

Host sets up chalice (I set mine to private), both players set a password, summoned player goes to headstone and searches the glyph code and loads in, summoned player rings small bell, host player rings beckoning bell a few seconds later.

That's how my friends and I do it.

RiggyRob

The hint for getting the Moon rune from the Brain of Mensis is that the Make Contact gesture starts the opposite way - usually it's right arm up and left arm out, but in front of the brain it starts with left arm up and right arm out.

Figuring out you need to do the gesture in the first place is just guessing/knowing the brain is a Great One, so Make Contact is thematically appropriate.

I saw in a Vaatividja video that if you kill the silverbeast with a fire-buffed weapon the worms won't pop out. I'm guessing using fire paper works too.

Melchiah

It's pretty easy to lure them out in the open, and let them be killed by Frenzy, or just visecral them so the worms don't come out. Cane's whip form works also well against the worms.

EDIT:

Playing offline adds a bit to the challenge, as you never know what lies ahead. ;)

Cairnsay

Banned
Tried jumping back into this after around 9 months away last night. Problem being I was right at the start of the Unseen Village section, bell maidens everywhere respawing enemies.

Anyone got any suggestions on decent location to go back to get my groove back?

Tried jumping back into this after around 9 months away last night. Problem being I was right at the start of the Unseen Village section, bell maidens everywhere respawing enemies.

If you didn't do the chalice dungeons you could go and do the 1st one. All very easy in there.

Brakke

Banned
The hint for getting the Moon rune from the Brain of Mensis is that the Make Contact gesture starts the opposite way - usually it's right arm up and left arm out, but in front of the brain it starts with left arm up and right arm out.

Figuring out you need to do the gesture in the first place is just guessing/knowing the brain is a Great One, so Make Contact is thematically appropriate.

the hint for Contacting the Brain is that there's a million messengers around that say "make contact ahead and special item in short" or whatever

Did you do everything possible pre-Rom? Kill Darkbeast? Kill Amygdala? If not, look those up. Otherwise, run through some Chalices.

Cairnsay

Banned
Did you do everything possible pre-Rom? Kill Darkbeast? Kill Amygdala? If not, look those up. Otherwise, run through some Chalices.

Thanks for the help dudes. I killed The Darkbeast, will go on the hunt for Amygdala. I also recall I had gotten through Cainhurst to the point of being about to fight Logarius, guess that's an option too...

Brakke

Banned
Killing Logarius (and meeting the Queen / finishing Alfred's quest) gives you access to Chikage and Logarius's Wheel, the first of which scales on Skill and transforms to do Bloodtinge-scaling damage, and the second of which scales on Strength and transforms to deal Arcane-scaling damage. So you'll get the EXP and practical experience from killing the boss and then maybe access to a new weapon you'll want.

The path to Amygdala gives a super good farming spot in the Lecture Hall. 10k+ echoes per run in the auditorium.

Lots of options! Good luck, and may the good blood guide your way.

Fixnow

Neo Member
Just platinumed Bloodborne and did 100% on old Hunters.

Do you guys know where most PVP action takes place? Old Hunters first cathedral seems to be a place to do some PVP action but I was wondering if there were more interesting places to go.

I got to Nightmare of Mensis the other day and got torn a new ass hole just trying to get to the castle haha.

I've now made it to the boss so hopefully i'll deal with him this weekend but now that i understand this area i really like it.

Sulik2

Finally beat the Cleric Beast! Probably my 4th try on him (and my first real Souls-type game I've gotten into). Man that felt satisfying finally taking him down. Probably laughable to most of you now but it's my first accomplishment feeling in this game so I'll take it.

I found this fight harder then it should have been because of the camera. You can't see its attacks when you lock on because of how narrow the bridge is. Central Yarnham is bad, Bloodborne gets way better past the CB.

It's pretty easy to lure them out in the open, and let them be killed by Frenzy, or just visecral them so the worms don't come out. Cane's whip form works also well against the worms.
Luring them over to frenzy has never worked for me cause it takes too long for frenzy to kill them and I always just get rushed by two in the process. So imagine fighting two of those damn things in that tight space where that lamp is and you have my usual situation with that method.

rtcn63

I found this fight harder then it should have been because of the camera. You can't see its attacks when you lock on because of how narrow the bridge is. Central Yarnham is bad, Bloodborne gets way better past the CB.

I played most of the game with lock-on, and learned it may be better to turn it off when fighting larger, faster beasts because the camera can screw you.

Just aim for the legs.

Top Bottom