• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Finally beat the Cleric Beast! Probably my 4th try on him (and my first real Souls-type game I've gotten into). Man that felt satisfying finally taking him down. Probably laughable to most of you now but it's my first accomplishment feeling in this game so I'll take it.

Four tries for Cleric Beast being your first Souls game is actually pretty good, be proud of that! The real test comes now, though; the next boss is considerably harder for most people.

I played most of the game with lock-on, and learned it may be better to turn it off when fighting larger, faster beasts because the camera can screw you.

Just aim for the legs.

Can't be stated enough. I have a suspicion the reason many people seem to get stuck at Ludwig is because of the lock on. Namely, the best place to stand in that fight (and with most extra large monsters like Amygdala) is either behind or directly below them; many of their attacks will miss you if you zigzag between their legs. Doing so with the camera locked on is much harder, both because of you relative movement and because getting past their center will spin the camera around confusingly, plus the best thing of doing this is that you can hit their heads, which typically requires you facing away from their center (especially if you're right below their chins).

That feeling when you die while trying to help someone with a boss.

I'm sorry, my friend.

Ugh, the very worst. This is why I try to adhere to the time honored "only make yourself available to summon on bosses you can easily solo" rule.

Four tries for Cleric Beast being your first Souls game is actually pretty good, be proud of that! The real test comes now, though; the next boss is considerably harder for most people.

Can't be stated enough. I have a suspicion the reason many people seem to get stuck at Ludwig is because of the lock on. Namely, the best place to stand in that fight (and with most extra large monsters like Amygdala) is either behind or directly below them; many of their attacks will miss you if you zigzag between their legs. Doing so with the camera locked on is much harder, both because of you relative movement and because getting past their center will spin the camera around confusingly, plus the best thing of doing this is that you can hit their heads, which typically requires you facing away from their center (especially if you're right below their chins).

Ugh, the very worst. This is why I try to adhere to the time honored "only make yourself available to summon on bosses you can easily solo" rule.

Yeah, I guess the player was on NG+. Boss got me in 2 hits. Doh.

Oh god, you made me realize my six chars are skill..........shieeeeeeeeeet.
This is my first strength based character. I've done Skill, Skill/Bloodtinge and Skill/Arcane. I started with the Axe and it's pretty good. Once you know how to level up before fighting him Cleric Beast really isn't too much of a problem.

I've been playing this off and on since Christmas and just beat Vicar Amelia (thanks to the female hunter you can spawn - same way I defeated BSB with Alfred). I was having a grand time but now it's getting much harder for me to progress through the world, as I'm stumbling upon enemies who can 1-shot you with grab attacks and also other hunters who are just destroying me (the one with the blunderbuss and shield is particularly difficult, to the right of Vicar Amelia).

Any suggestions beyond leveling my weapons (Saw Cleaver at +6 now) and stats? I'm decent at parrying but I always get super nervous and jumpy around the harder enemies.

This is my first strength based character. I've done Skill, Skill/Bloodtinge and Skill/Arcane. I started with the Axe and it's pretty good. Once you know how to level up before fighting him Cleric Beast really isn't too much of a problem.

The Axe is awesome. It was the first weapon I chose when I first got the game and the way I play is so stylised on using the Axe I feel awkward using anything else. I actually barely use the guns either, for the most part I use it two-handed. The Visceral attack is just so effective.

I've been playing this off and on since Christmas and just beat Vicar Amelia (thanks to the female hunter you can spawn - same way I defeated BSB with Alfred). I was having a grand time but now it's getting much harder for me to progress through the world, as I'm stumbling upon enemies who can 1-shot you with grab attacks and also other hunters who are just destroying me (the one with the blunderbuss and shield is particularly difficult, to the right of Vicar Amelia).

Any suggestions beyond leveling my weapons (Saw Cleaver at +6 now) and stats? I'm decent at parrying but I always get super nervous and jumpy around the harder enemies.

With the shotgun guy lure him up the path on the hill that you came down. It just creates a bottleneck which makes it easier to hit him. It also can make it easier for him to hit you but that's the tradeoff. :p

Have you done Hemwick lane? It is not too difficult so you should do that before going to the Woods. What level are you and what are your stats?

Also, do you have ludwig's holy blade yet? That thing is pretty beastly.

Have you done Hemwick lane? It is not too difficult so you should do that before going to the Woods. What level are you and what are your stats?

Also, do you have ludwig's holy blade yet? That thing is pretty beastly.

I've killed the random hunters with dogs at the beginning of that area but haven't ventured further than that. I guess I should hit up the entire area? 23 Vitality, 16 Endurance, 21 Strength, 13 Skill. Everything else is base. And I have no idea where to get Ludwig's. I'm sort of winging the game and have missed out on a bunch of stuff already no doubt. :(

With the shotgun guy lure him up the path on the hill that you came down. It just creates a bottleneck which makes it easier to hit him. It also can make it easier for him to hit you but that's the tradeoff. :p

I'll try this out ASAP. This dude has made me rage quit a few times now. Thanks for the tips y'all!

Holy shit upper cathedral ward is gonna give me a heart attack.

That wolf through the window and then the three wolves in the lobby. And all the fucking insight suckers. Screw you guys.

I've killed the random hunters with dogs at the beginning of that area but haven't ventured further than that. I guess I should hit up the entire area? 23 Vitality, 16 Endurance, 21 Strength, 13 Skill. Everything else is base. And I have no idea where to get Ludwig's. I'm sort of winging the game and have missed out on a bunch of stuff already no doubt. :(

I'll try this out ASAP. This dude has made me rage quit a few times now. Thanks for the tips y'all!

From the cathedral ward lantern there's a doorway to the right that you unlock after beating BSB. There's some good stuff that direction, including the badge you need to get Ludwig's sword IIRC.

Melchiah

Luring them over to frenzy has never worked for me cause it takes too long for frenzy to kill them and I always just get rushed by two in the process. So imagine fighting two of those damn things in that tight space where that lamp is and you have my usual situation with that method.

It worked well for me, when I just played through the area again with a new character. First you get their attention, run past the lamp, and they'll slowly return to where they were and end up being killed by frenzy. You can also lure them one at the time, if you don't go far enough to alert the other.

Ghazi

Just killed abhorrent beast in Ailing Loran dungeon, but I died right when he did. Hooray! Oh wait, now the dungeon is bugged, the boss isn't there, and I didn't get rewards. Fuck.
I'm not doing Ailing Loran over again completely.

The Axe is awesome. It was the first weapon I chose when I first got the game and the way I play is so stylised on using the Axe I feel awkward using anything else. I actually barely use the guns either, for the most part I use it two-handed. The Visceral attack is just so effective.
I love the baseball bat swing of the two handed L2. I've used it before, but never as a main, or at least main until I get the beast cutter and Pizza Cutter.
It worked well for me, when I just played through the area again with a new character. First you get their attention, run past the lamp, and they'll slowly return to where they were and end up being killed by frenzy. You can also lure them one at the time, if you don't go far enough to alert the other.
Oh, I always ran too the lamp and just got my shit rocked over there. I should remember to run passed it next time.

I think my Arcane char have more Skill than arcane still manage to kill ebrietas with BoM.

Just killed abhorrent beast in Ailing Loran dungeon, but I died right when he did. Hooray! Oh wait, now the dungeon is bugged, the boss isn't there, and I didn't get rewards. Fuck.
I'm not doing Ailing Loran over again completely.

Mmm have you tried warping to the dream and come back, did you reach the Heart layer?

Fhtagn

Has anyone here done an arcane focused run? Can you give me build tips for mid-game? My damage output is real bad right now.

I'm at v35, e20, s12, s11, b5, a24.

I've been using a beast cutter +6 with a fire gem and it was doing acceptable damage to mobs until the second half of the forest and then when I got to the shadows, I was doing just 110 dmg per hit and my summons slaughtered the other two while I got the katana guy down to 70% health.

Should I switch to a fire Ludwig? Do I need to suck it up until I get much higher arcane stat and better gems and tools? Do I need to go hybrid and pump strength a bit?

I want to avoid using the saw cleaver because I already platinum'ed the game and DLC using nothing but it.

I'm planning on taking this character to 99 arcane eventually, mainly to do NG+ and chalice stuff and high level co-op, but at this point it's rough going.

I don't understand chalice dungeons. I did the easiest one a long time ago. Now I don't have materials to continue. I just beat The Old One so I'm fairly far in the game but I still can't make more chalice dungeons. No materials. When do I start getting these?

rtcn63

I don't understand chalice dungeons. I did the easiest one a long time ago. Now I don't have materials to continue. I just beat The Old One so I'm fairly far in the game but I still can't make more chalice dungeons. No materials. When do I start getting these?

You can buy some of them from the bath messenger IIRC. The rest have to be found in the dungeons for the most part, although in NG+ you can purchase practically everything required I think.

You can buy some of them from the bath messenger IIRC. The rest have to be found in the dungeons for the most part, although in NG+ you can purchase practically everything required I think.

Yeah but how can I get back into the dungeons to get any more? I removed the chalice from the easy one I already made (mistake I guess) and now I don't even have the material to open that easy one back up.

And no that vendor doesn't sell what I need.

Fhtagn

For the most part, if you thoroughly explore every path in every level of each chalice dungeon, you will find enough materials to make the next chalice.

I just finished the first one and was able to make the second one without grinding. Late in the process I think you have to choose between making one of two chalices and then do that one to get materials for the other, something like that.

Also materials unlock in the shops the further you get along.

Note that once you have made any specific kind of chalice, you can create another one of that same kind (chalice + modifiers) by doing a glyph search, and those are free. You only need materials to make a chalice you've never made before or to create a brand new dungeon that no one else has explored before.

EDIT: I don't know what triggered it, but my shop in the dream is def selling Ritual Blood 1 for cheap, which is all you need to re-create the first chalice and my character hasn't even been to Bergynwerth yet.

myco666

Has anyone here done an arcane focused run? Can you give me build tips for mid-game? My damage output is real bad right now.

I've been using a beast cutter +6 with a fire gem and it was doing acceptable damage to mobs until the second half of the forest and then when I got to the shadows, I was doing just 110 dmg per hit and my summons slaughtered the other two while I got the katana guy down to 70% health.

Should I switch to a fire Ludwig? Do I need to suck it up until I get much higher arcane stat and better gems and tools? Do I need to go hybrid and pump strength a bit?

I want to avoid using the saw cleaver because I already platinum'ed the game and DLC using nothing but it.

I'm planning on taking this character to 99 arcane eventually, mainly to do NG+ and chalice stuff and high level co-op, but at this point it's rough going.

You don't need to put any points into Str if you don't want to. I played the game through with Tonitrus (you don't have to use elemental gems with it to get good damage) and only pumped up Arcane. So I would suggest you get that and upgrade it up to +7 - +9 now. Also get Flamesprayer. It is really good against Rom especially if you use Oil Urn with it.

Hasanm

Neo Member
Yeah but how can I get back into the dungeons to get any more? I removed the chalice from the easy one I already made (mistake I guess) and now I don't even have the material to open that easy one back up.

And no that vendor doesn't sell what I need.

start from pthumeru chalice

Fhtagn

You don't need to put any points into Str if you don't want to. I played the game through with Tonitrus (you don't have to use elemental gems with it to get good damage) and only pumped up Arcane. So I would suggest you get that and upgrade it up to +7 - +9 now. Also get Flamesprayer. It is really good against Rom especially if you use Oil Urn with it.

I fucked up and didn't talk to our good friend before he went too mad to give me the flamesprayer, so I guess I should go figure out how to unlock it...

Loran Dark beast is down, repeat that camera nightmare is over, I am crying.

Its time to switch to Blades of Mercy or go to the DLC to get the Moonlightsword and find the Arcane scaling bloodgem.

I was about to reccomend you the Saw since have great sinergy with arcane early.

Dont forget spell dont drain your stamina so when you are about to deplete the stamina use the Roar or Ebrietas spell to knock the enemies and wait the stamina bar refill in the casting time.

Fhtagn

Loran Dark beast is down, repeat that camera nightmare is over, I am crying.

That was the worst fight in the game for me, the one I had the most mechanical problems with (camera, swings whiffing.) I think it's almost an unfair fight if you are using short weapons. I'd be 1000 times more into it if he just moved slightly slower or was slightly less aggressive. Took me 57 tries. 52 of which were one very stubborn session and then I got him done in 5 the next day. I was also using a saw cleaver with very low damage output, I have to assume I wasn't gemmed properly at that point; I'm going to cheese it as hard as I can the next time through with my ARC character.

Its time to switch to Blades of Mercy or go to the DLC to get the Moonlightsword and find the Arcane scaling bloodgem.

I was about to reccomend you the Saw since have great sinergy with arcane early.

Dont forget spell dont drain your stamina so when you are about to deplete the stamina use the Roar or Ebrietas spell to knock the enemies and wait the stamina bar refill in the casting time.

Hmmm, I don't want to kill Elieen and I want to take on Ludwig fair and square (and then switch to the MLGS) so for now I'll just get my stats appropriate for the MGLS and experiment. I've been using the beast roar but I should probably be using it more heavily specifically because I don't want to level endurance too much this time around, I had 40 on my main and could stun lock everything to death, got a bit silly at times.

Had an absolute whale of a time on this game tonight; it's amazing how much can happen in one play session. On NG++ here, have been stuck on Orphan, Laurence and for some reason Shadows of Yarnham since about November. Tonight, sat down and killed Orphan with two other dudes after 3-4 attempts, beat Shadows, Rom and the One solo in quick succession, got all DLC weapons trophy, quickly rinsed Nightmare of Mensis but got briefly stuck on Micolash (cunt just kept getting me), then took down Wet Nurse, got the Blood Rock and fully ascended the MHB. All in one sitting. Also had a hilarious PVP moment where a guy chasing me fell down the elevator shaft near Mergo and died.

Trophies on 91%. If I can somehow manage to beat Laurence, and then go on and get the third ending I've got my second platinum of the gen (after MGSV).

Hmmm, I don't want to kill Elieen and I want to take on Ludwig fair and square (and then switch to the MLGS) so for now I'll just get my stats appropriate for the MGLS and experiment. I've been using the beast roar but I should probably be using it more heavily specifically because I don't want to level endurance too much this time around, I had 40 on my main and could stun lock everything to death, got a bit silly at times.

Then go for Tonitrus, Tonitrus have split damage in Str and Arcane, D scaling in both stats and can take you easily to Rom and finish the Eileen quest.

Just dont self buff too much and you will be okay

Had an absolute whale of a time on this game tonight; it's amazing how much can happen in one play session. On NG++ here, have been stuck on Orphan, Laurence and for some reason Shadows of Yarnham since about November. Tonight, sat down and killed Orphan with two other dudes after 3-4 attempts, beat Shadows, Rom and the One solo in quick succession, got all DLC weapons trophy, quickly rinsed Nightmare of Mensis but got briefly stuck on Micolash (cunt just kept getting me), then took down Wet Nurse, got the Blood Rock and fully ascended the MHB. All in one sitting. Also had a hilarious PVP moment where a guy chasing me fell down the elevator shaft near Mergo and died.

Trophies on 91%. If I can somehow manage to beat Laurence, and then go on and get the third ending I've got my second platinum of the gen (after MGSV).
You don't need the dlc trophies for the platinum itself.

Edit: maybe you know and I'm reading your post wrong.

Ghazi

Just got to Keeper of the Old Lords in the defiled chalice, it seems near impossible. He one hits you, I'd literally have to do the entire fight flawless, which is hilarious. Like, I understand that Souls games are difficult, but requiring zero margin for error is a bit ridiculous.

E: I managed to beat him, can't wait to see what else is next.

Mmm have you tried warping to the dream and come back, did you reach the Heart layer?
Nope, I had to redo the entire dungeon

So thanks to some generous tips from you guys I cleared out Hemwick and got the rune tool. Plus Ludwig's.

The witch boss got me once. I thought I was doing well by "killing" her, but then her twin popped up and froze me in place, then she gutted me with a grab attack. I was furious and about to quit for the night but decided to run back there real quick and give it another shot.

Good thing I did because I visceraled both of them a number of times and came out on top. There was one time I thought I was a goner again, as she got me with her freeze attack and she and her witch cronies ganged up on me. But I pressed the dodge button furiously and happened to roll out of it. Got my blood pumping.

Anyway, not sure where I'm headed next. I assume the opposite side of the grand cathedral. This game.

Brakke

Banned
Ugh, rom in the dungeons is a PITA. It's much harder with the pillars and limited space. Any suggestions?

Rom doesn't do magic in the first phase. You should kill all the spiders before the first time you hit her. Use Bolt Paper or Tonitrus when you go in on her, she's weak to lightning. The Old Hunter summon *can* help by distracting spiders but he also *can* be a nuisance by never doing worthwhile damage and by upping her health. Ultimately I gave up on using him but I got close with him once.

As Marty mentioned, you can use the pillars to block her shots. If she's on her back, she's going to bring the shots up from the ground so watch out for that.

This fight can definitely rely on luck a bit. The time I got her, I did like 40% damage to her in the first phase and then teleported right back on top of me so I got another 30% or so on her before the spiders even started moving.

Any advice for defiled Amygdala?

stay out in front and bait a slam attack. Rush in hit head. For laser attacks unlock and roll 3 times to the left then lock back on. For the final phase where the legs get ripped off run under and behind and hit the tail. Stand still for jumps then go behind and hit the tail again. Repeat till dead.

Ghazi

stay out in front and bait a slam attack. Rush in hit head. For laser attacks unlock and roll 3 times to the left then lock back on. For the final phase where the legs get ripped off run under and behind and hit the tail. Stand still for jumps then go behind and hit the tail again. Repeat till dead.

3/4s of the time he doesn't lower her head enough for a hit, I'm using LHB. I gave it a ton of tries tonight and none of her attacks are predictable, she cocks her arms back for arm flailing maneuvers #1-5 that one hit you and are incredibly difficult to dodge. I haven't made it to getting her to half health, calling it quits for a while here.

When you bait the jump (by hitting the tail), don't try to roll just stand in place and charge up an R2, free aim at it's head just after it lands, a few of those will give you a visceral. You can actually do this the entire fight, hitting the tail and baiting the jump, but the tail doesn't take much damage so it might be quicker to stay out in front as Toytown Assassin says.

Here's an example, I just did the tail strats the entire fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW965Rrz8Fk

3/4s of the time he doesn't lower her head enough for a hit, I'm using LHB. I gave it a ton of tries tonight and none of her attacks are predictable, she cocks her arms back for arm flailing maneuvers #1-5 that one hit you and are incredibly difficult to dodge. I haven't made it to getting her to half health, calling it quits for a while here.

I did it a few days ago with the LHB. 2 handed and L2 attack as the downward attack gives you a better chance of hitting the head before it gets too high again. It's just a matter of taking your time and waiting for those slams. If you stay just far enough away to not get hit you should have time to get in for a hit. It helps to be directly in front so the hands don't get in your way when you dash in.

Ghazi

I did it a few days ago with the LHB. 2 handed and L2 attack as the downward attack gives you a better chance of hitting the head before it gets too high again. It's just a matter of taking your time and waiting for those slams. If you stay just far enough away to not get hit you should have time to get in for a hit. It helps to be directly in front so the hands don't get in your way when you dash in.

When you bait the jump (by hitting the tail), don't try to roll just stand in place and charge up an R2, free aim at it's head just after it lands, a few of those will give you a visceral. You can actually do this the entire fight, hitting the tail and baiting the jump, but the tail doesn't take much damage so it might be quicker to stay out in front as Toytown Assassin says.

Here's an example, I just did the tail strats the entire fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW965Rrz8Fk
I'll have to practice some more tomorrow, she has so much health!

You don't need the dlc trophies for the platinum itself.

Edit: maybe you know and I'm reading your post wrong.

Yeah I know, I just want to take down Laurence with my current build on NG++ before finishing the game and getting the third ending for the last trophy. Don't fancy going through again on NG+++ much. ^^

Does old hunters shower you with blood stone mats? Only got enough to upgrade one weapon so I wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing by saving them. Bout to start it for the first time.

Top Bottom