• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

NinjaBoiX

Just started playing this again after a few months off. I'm having trouble beating the hunter in Grand Cathedral to finish Eileen's quest. Thinking about just giving up, cheating fuck!

What do I lose if I just kill Eileen at this point? Is that even an option?

I mainly want the Blade of Mercy and her outfit.

neoemonk

Four tries on Cleric Beast with the qualification that it's the first Souls type game.

Come join me in the hell of fighting Laurence. I get about 17k blood echoes on the run up to the boss because I kill the big guy in the cathedral entrance for six blood vials. I've pulled about a million blood echoes from that run already (lost about half of those on dumb deaths and spent the other half) so that's how many tries I'm at with him.

Just started playing this again after a few months off. I'm having trouble beating the hunter in Grand Cathedral to finish Eileen's quest. Thinking about just giving up, cheating fuck!

Don't know if you can kill her or not at that point as I killed the hunter. You'd miss the faster stamina regen rune.

Melchiah

What weapon are you using? The Cane's whip form works well against him, and enemy hunters in general.

Hasanm

Neo Member

just kill her to obtain BOM and outfit

Make sure you're fighting him on the stairs, it's easier there.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks guys.
Don't know if you can kill her or not at that point as I killed the hunter. You'd miss the faster stamina regen rune.
Meh, not so bothered about the stamina regen rune, stamina seems to be almost a non issue in this game. I'm rocking 24 stamina anyway.
What weapon are you using? The Cane's whip form works well against him, and enemy hunters in general.
The whip is my main but I also have the Tonitrus, both +6.
just kill her to obtain BOM and outfit
Cool, I might just do this.
Make sure you're fighting him on the stairs, it's easier there.
Yeah, I've tried, he just keeps healing and spamming his almost one shot pistol at me. Hardest boss in the game so far, easily.

This was my first attempt today with Amygdala, got a lot further than I did yesterday. Thanks for the advice with the L2, it helps so much. How do I dodge the AOE black hole slam?

That just seemed like very unlucky positioning, but it you look closely, his other arm wasn't extended all the way like the one that hit you, so it might be good idea to strafe that way more or just stick to the middle of Amydala. I think the middle is the safest spot to avoid attacks that you don't have time to dodge.

Ghazi

That just seemed like very unlucky positioning, but it you look closely, his other arm wasn't extended all the way like the one that hit you, so it might be good idea to strafe that way more or just stick to the middle of Amydala. I think the middle is the safest spot to avoid attacks that you don't have time to dodge.

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it, that's what I'll probably do if I can manage to get her down that far again.

Edit: I DID IT B O Y S

I know this is old news for most of the folks in this thread but I just started the game today and have a few observations and questions:

Observations:

1. Should have bought it when it came out, incredibly entertaining.
2. I'm really bad, I can't beat the Cleric beast yet and accidentally ran into Father G. This has me concerned that I will not be good enough to progress much.
3. Love the level layout, exploring is really fun and the only time it really bit me when when I ran into Father G by mistake.

I could go on and on but I won't.

Questions:

1. Should I enemy lock on the bosses or free run them? The camera gives me fits against the 1st boss when I lock on.
2. I started with the axe, got it to plus two and I think my level is around 18 or so. While I'm sure most everybody who replies could smack the Cleric Beast at level 1 is there a preferred level to fight him at? Admittedly I haven't fought him since I leveled my axe and my person up. I also found the outfit in the sewers. (Back to that cool ass level design)
3. I've been focusing on the first three stats: vitality,endurence, and strength. Is that the best place to start?

Thanks to anyone that helps me out here, I know the questions are lame, and the game is old but any advice would be appreciated.

rtcn63

Does old hunters shower you with blood stone mats? Only got enough to upgrade one weapon so I wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing by saving them. Bout to start it for the first time.

Yeah, you get quite a few blood stone chunks, and there's even a blood rock.

Ghazi

vdFuSZr.jpg

Questions:

1. Should I enemy lock on the bosses or free run them? The camera gives me fits against the 1st boss when I lock on.
2. I started with the axe, got it to plus two and I think my level is around 18 or so. While I'm sure most everybody who replies could smack the Cleric Beast at level 1 is there a preferred level to fight him at? Admittedly I haven't fought him since I leveled my axe and my person up. I also found the outfit in the sewers. (Back to that cool ass level design)
3. I've been focusing on the first three stats: vitality,endurence, and strength. Is that the best place to start?

Thanks to anyone that helps me out here, I know the questions are lame, and the game is old but any advice would be appreciated.

1) Depends on the boss and sometimes a mix of the 2 is best. Generally smaller bosses are best locked and the bigger ones it's best not to at least some of the time.

2) I usually +2 a weapon before doing the 1st 2 bosses so you are good to go IMO.

3) It's a good place to start for the axe yes. Boosting stamina is less important than damage and health though.

1 thing I'd add is learn to dodge into and past attacks of the smaller bosses/hard enemies. It'll get you into range for easy hits and as a tactic can carry you through the entire game without even needing to learn to parry. I beat a lot of bosses other people struggle with on my 1st try just by doing that.

1) Depends on the boss and sometimes a mix of the 2 is best. Generally smaller bosses are best locked and the bigger ones it's best not to at least some of the time.

2) I usually +2 a weapon before doing the 1st 2 bosses so you are good to go IMO.

3) It's a good place to start for the axe yes. Boosting stamina is less important than damage and health though.

1 thing I'd add is learn to dodge into and past attacks of the smaller bosses/hard enemies. It'll get you into range for easy hits and as a tactic can carry you through the entire game without even needing to learn to parry. I beat a lot of bosses other people struggle with on my 1st try just by doing that.
Thank you for your advice!!

1. On big bosses like the cleric beast, sometimes it's better not to lock on. The cleric beast has at least two lock points, one around the torso and the other in its head. If you time a shot or throw molotov cocktails at its face, it will go down for a visceral. If you're not planning on doing this, always try to stand on his back and get a few hits on the legs, consistently rolling towards him and positioning yourself again on his back before he fully turns around.

2. I think at level 20 you should deal with it just fine, especially if the weapon's been upgraded once or twice. It is an optional fight, though. You can always come back later in the game and watch it go down faster at higher levels. I like to leave this fucker alive till the very end of the game, to the surprise of my co-ops.

3. It's always a good idea to build on specific stats. You can make a strength build with the stats you mentioned, focusing on heavy weapon damage and less on visceral attacks. I think most weapons are built around strength, so you'll have a lot to choose from there. If you do want to focus on visceral attacks, invest on a few levels of skill for them to do more damage. Bloodtinge and arcane stats are a whole different story, I wouldn't worry about those.

1. On big bosses like the cleric beast, sometimes it's better not to lock on. The cleric beast has at least two lock points, one around the torso and the other in its head. If you time a shot or throw molotov cocktails at its face, it will go down for a visceral. If you're not planning on doing this, always try to stand on his back and get a few hits on the legs, consistently rolling towards him and positioning yourself again on his back before he fully turns around.

2. I think at level 20 you should deal with it just fine, especially if the weapon's been upgraded once or twice. It is an optional fight, though. You can always come back later in the game and watch it go down faster at higher levels. I like to leave this fucker alive till the very end of the game, to the surprise of my co-ops.

3. It's always a good idea to build on specific stats. You can make a strength build with the stats you mentioned, focusing on heavy weapon damage and less on visceral attacks. I think most weapons are built around strength, so you'll have a lot to choose from there. If you do want to focus on visceral attacks, invest on a few levels of skill for them to do more damage. Bloodtinge and arcane stats are a whole different story, I wouldn't worry about those.

1. I do recall putting him down with a Molotov once or twice, I was wondering what triggered that. Also didn't know he had two lock on points.

2. Cool, looking forward to trying tomorrow. If I didn't fight him I assume it would Fater G?

3. Visceral attacks are when you party with your gun right? Are there other ways to trigger them? I've also heard a lot about backstabs, is that only in the Souls games? (I've never played them)

Thanks for all the comments!!

3. Visceral attacks are when you party with your gun right? Are there other ways to trigger them? I've also heard a lot about backstabs, is that only in the Souls games? (I've never played them)

You can get them from accumulated head damage on big bosses and backstabs on many enemies. To get a backstab you need to be behind and land a charged R2 attack then an R1 when you get the sound for a visceral. The easy way to get them is to walk up slowly behind the bad guys so they don't notice you are there.

^Yeah, father G. is necessary to move forward. Likewise, visceral attacks are the parries of this game. Most of the time you'll trigger these by timing a gun shot when the enemy is about to swipe. Some enemies have very generous parry windows where you can shoot them, others have stricter timing and take more risk. You can also backstab for a visceral attack. It takes a full charged attack on an enemy's back to trigger the parry. Most of the time you'll pull this off with stand-still enemies if you walk slow enough towards them.

EDIT: nija'd again :)

Did not know you could charge up your R2 attack, good to know. I also didn't realize you could actually sneak up on enemies if you move slow enough, I guess I've always been walking too fast.

One more question, during my exploration I found a few....I think they are called madman masks and it says in the description that you gain insight. What is insight used for?

Sorry for all the noob questions but I really appreciate your guys help.

There's an insight shop in the hunter's dream to buy different things, mostly armor sets for the cost of one or two insight points. As soon as you start the game, though, buy the beckoning bell to summon up to two people for co-op. If you're finding the game way too hard, ring that bell for one insight to summon people to your game. People summoned will help you out all the way to the area's boss unless you/they die or leave the game. The bell will consistently look for two people to join the game without costing any more insight, so just the ring the bell as soon as you enter a new area if co-op becomes your thing :)

Ice9

Would love to wrap up the game tonight, need help tackling
laurence
and final boss.

SL 106
PSN djice9

Add me please!

Got this game when it was on sale about a week ago, I've stuck my toes in the water with Dark Souls previously, but it didn't really grab me. I'm about 11 hours into Bloodborne and I'm all in. I discovered Vicar Amelia today and beat her on my first attempt, after beating my head against the wall against previous bosses, this felt like a huge victory, and I was surprised to feel a little bummed that I didn't get to spend more time with her, this game rules.

Thats a lot of durability, maybe for a boss fight but still the cursed effect is too much.

I have one at +25 phys with a 3% reduction on stamina

I'm confused about the chalice dungeons.

Say I complete a regular chalice dungeon (all layers) and then it drops the root chalice.

Someone posts a glyph online and I want to do it. From what I understand, I have to first create the same root chalice dungeon in my game.

My questions:
- do I need to complete the root chalice dungeon before I can join the glyph online, or just create it? do they have the same bosses as the non-root one?
- should I be making the root dungeon with the additional rites?
- if I remove a chalice after creating a dungeon, can I recreate it for free?

Thanks!

P.S. for reference I've completed the pthumeru/central pthumeru/hintertomb dungeons. I am almost done the lower pthumeru and I just created the dungeon for the ailing loran or whatever it is. I have not tried to make any root dungeons.

I'm confused about the chalice dungeons.

Say I complete a regular chalice dungeon (all layers) and then it drops the root chalice.

Someone posts a glyph online and I want to do it. From what I understand, I have to first create the same root chalice dungeon in my game.

My questions:
- do I need to complete the root chalice dungeon before I can join the glyph online, or just create it? do they have the same bosses as the non-root one?
- should I be making the root dungeon with the additional rites?
- if I remove a chalice after creating a dungeon, can I recreate it for free?

Thanks!

P.S. for reference I've completed the pthumeru/central pthumeru/hintertomb dungeons. I am almost done the lower pthumeru and I just created the dungeon for the ailing loran or whatever it is. I have not tried to make any root dungeons.

1.- No, once you created the root you can take it out and use the gylph, but be sure to use
all the three
modifiers before creating it.
Note, be sure to explore it and see if there is any good loot before taking it out

2.- Yes if you want to use the online gylphs for specific stuff, most of the root gylphs requires fetid, cursed and rotted modifier active

3.- No, you need to use the search function or the gylph function to create one for free

gogosox82

I'm trying to use it on Ludwig's Holy Blade +10 and the penalty is that it gives me WPN durability Down -51.8.

If the physical damage up is higher than 23% I'd say its worth it but if not I wouldn't use it and would go for something like stamina increase or attack vs beasts/kin down some random percent.

1.- No, once you created the root you can take it out and use the gylph, but be sure to use
all the three
modifiers before creating it.
Note, be sure to explore it and see if there is any good loot before taking it out

2.- Yes if you want to use the online gylphs for specific stuff, most of the root gylphs requires fetid, cursed and rotted modifier active

3.- No, you need to use the search function or the gylph function to create one for free

Thank you very much!

Nightmare on Mensis is causing me some problems, I've beat both bosses in there and found the secret area where you go down the cage (Near middle lantern) and you can jump into the open window and go to a bridge with the brain enemies.

But they just kick my ass with the frenzy, whats the best outfit to where for protection?

Anyway since i can't even beat the 2nd brain enemy without dying i've gone straight to the upper cathedral.

BTW the
Wet Nurse boss
in Nightmare on Mensis was amazing and the whole upper area looked incredible especially when you see the white moon up close

Melchiah

Nightmare on Mensis is causing me some problems, I've beat both bosses in there and found the secret area where you go down the cage (Near middle lantern) and you can jump into the open window and go to a bridge with the brain enemies.

But they just kick my ass with the frenzy, whats the best outfit to where for protection?

Anyway since i can't even beat the 2nd brain enemy without dying i've gone straight to the upper cathedral.

BTW the
Wet Nurse boss
in Nightmare on Mensis was amazing and the whole upper area looked incredible especially when you see the white moon up close

I don't remember what outfit has the highest frenzy resistance, but there are runes that have it as well. You should have Deep Sea (+200 frenzy resistance), and Great Deep Sea (+100 all resistance) by that point.

Here's a list of all the runes, and the locations where to find them:
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Caryll+Runes

Thanks i completely forgot to look at the Runes for Frenzy protection with return to the area tonight and see if i fair any better.

One question, have i missed anything in old Yarnem? I've beat
Paarl and blood starved beast
ages ago. But while running through the area again yesterday i noticed that right at the bottom of the church (below where old hunter Djura is). There's an open area with where you got a chalice item i think but its a pretty big room and theirs a body hung up but nothing happens.

Maybe i just expect something to jump down and fight me haha

Melchiah

Thanks i completely forgot to look at the Runes for Frenzy protection with return to the area tonight and see if i fair any better.

One question, have i missed anything in old Yarnem? I've beat
Paarl and blood starved beast
ages ago. But while running through the area again yesterday i noticed that right at the bottom of the church (below where old hunter Djura is). There's an open area with where you got a chalice item i think but its a pretty big room and theirs a body hung up but nothing happens.

Maybe i just expect something to jump down and fight me haha

If you mean this one....

oqmUGa1l.jpg

...there's nothing else in there, but there's a secret area in Old Yharnam. Here's how you can get there: https://youtu.be/dHP-OiJw_h4

EDIT: Forgot, that there are some items in the upper area of the Church.

If you mean this one....

oqmUGa1l.jpg

...there's nothing else in there, but there's a secret area in Old Yharnam. Here's how you can get there: https://youtu.be/dHP-OiJw_h4

EDIT: Forgot, that there are some items in the upper area of the Church.

Yeah thats the room, such a big room for nothing to happen, guess i expected another boss fight or something in there.

As for the youtube link i found that area by accident by falling off the ledge when attacking the birds lol thought i was a gonna.

Brakke

Banned
That room with the crucified beast is awesome. You can light the beast on fire by hitting a lantern above and then it's the coolest room around.

That room with the crucified beast is awesome. You can light the beast on fire by hitting a lantern above and then it's the coolest room around.

There is a suble hint about this guy.

odeon_dweller_499x281_low.jpg
and his possible fate.

There is a sealed door down there which connects Old Yharman to Yahargul

Well I beat the Cleric Beast today on my first go, fight was a little sloppy but we got it done anyway. Only had time to fight Father G twice, first time I got him down to maybe 20% of his health left and kinda fell apart, 2nd time wasn't as close. I'm having trouble getting the timing down to parry his 2nd form, in fact I don't think I managed to stun him once in either fight. Did some hunting around afterwards and and found the music box, he's going down next time I play.

Top Bottom