• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Woooooow did they nerf
logarius
or something? I remember on my first play through having so much problems with him. I think it took me a few days to beat him. And I was like level 80 or 90 something when I did that.

Now I was only level 72 and I beat him on the first try lol. Whaaaat. I know people will say they have probably beat him at way lower levels and that he was easy but this feels like an accomplishment to me lol.

No pain no gain, you got better at him after that beating.

Can you summon player's to help in Chalice Dungeons? I am stuck on the Blood Starved Beast in Ailing Loran

Yes, in some Chalices just look at the red colored beacon, I am not sure if there is a NPC for that Boss

-Horizon-

so going back up to the
upper cathedral
this place is still creepy as heck with the music and just plain darkness, might be the scariest place in the game with just how it sets you at unease.
also I should've carried more bolt paper along, now I've burned through 20 blood vials before even getting to the boss lol :/

Nope. Seems like you've just gotten better.

No pain no gain, you got better at him after that beating.

Yes, in some Chalices just look at the red colored beacon, I am not sure if there is a NPC for that Boss

xD

that's nice then

Alright, I'm slowly but surely finding my rhythm here. This game is amazing and difficult and rewarding and frustrating all at the same time.

I started over because I was just getting sacked with the Threaded Cane. Chose the Saw Cleaver and things just started to click.Through exploration, I found a Madman's Knowledge, the Saw Hunter's Badge, and a Full Hunter Set.

Leveled up to 18, focusing on STR/END/VIT/SKILL.

With the SH badge, I then bought the Hunter's Axe and phwooooaaar. This is awesome. The stagger on the strong attack is legendary. Also learned the sheer power of the riposte/parry/visceral. The Executioner and the Trolls were giving me a lot of trouble before, now it's almost criminal how easy it's become to dispatch them.

TLDR: I got gud

The creature design is amazing and filthy. I jumped into a part of the sewer with a bunch of dead corpses around and was shocked to find them moving and vomiting at me. Those things were horrendous.

So I finally decided to swallow my pride and move on from E
brietas
. Figured I'd push on a bit further through the main game and revisit her at a higher level.

Except I accidentally beat the game.

I guess I should've paid more attention to the cues in the
doll's
dialogue. I knew something was up but I figured the narrative was just shifting into the next phase, like a late game Anor Londo.

NOPE. Cutscene followed by credits.

I mean, this isn't a tragedy seeing as I was planning multiple playthroughs anyways, but I would've liked to at least beaten carl sagans daughter and discovered C
astle Cainhurst
the first go around. Ah well.

-Horizon-

Ahahaha nightmare of mensis...I now remember that I disliked this place as well. Freaking
spiders and frenzy
ridiculous. Waste of blood vials is what this first part of the area is.

brietas
. Figured I'd push on a bit further through the main game and revisit her at a higher level.

doll's
dialogue. I knew something was up but I figured the narrative was just shifting into the next phase, like a late game Anor Londo.

I mean, this isn't a tragedy seeing as I was planning multiple playthroughs anyways, but I would've liked to at least beaten carl sagans daughter and discovered C
astle Cainhurst

Welp. There are still 2 other endings to get so use that as motivation.

I did
Ebrietas
today and yep. She's still probably the toughest boss to fight for me.

NHL94

Banned
I've been doing a pure Arcane build using Hunters Tools and Communion runes. I think Im like 22/18/13/9/X/56 arcane atm, just killed Ebrietas and will move on to the DLC tonight. Im only like level 74.

I have never felt more cheesy ever in my life haha.

Brakke

Banned
I beat the game during my ban. Got the "true" (?) ending where
I become Mergo for NG+ (I think that's what happened?)

Fab game. Looked up conditions for other endings and ran right through to the top of Mergo's loft in about four hours in NG+. Paused before the end because I figured I'd settle the Chalice Dungeon trophy first. Fuuuuuuck the defiled dungeon. That firedog in Defiled is a real ass. Dude was one-shotting me with his charge. Rocked his shit after a couple hours of attempts and then... Amygdala. Amy didn't give me any trouble on the frontier through but in Defiled yooo I haven't gotten to 50% yet. It's kind of cool: after having just breezed through NG+ to hit a wall in the Defiled dungeon. But also, that wall is cheap af. The first case of artificial difficulty I've hit in this game. Disappointing.

So I did the DLC right before finishing NG. I was excited to get some new weapons. I've basically used Ludwig's since I got it. That's been my weapon all game. In the DLC I really like the Boom Hammer but... Ludwig is still the right choice for when shit gets serious. It's just way better. I force myself to use the Hammer when the stakes are low just for the variety but when I need to win, Ludwig's comes back out. It's lame this game doesn't allow a respec. I would be psyched to respec to take up a different weapon but at this point my stats are just so perfectly tuned to Ludwig's there's basically no reason to use anything else. It's frustrating. Previous Souls games definitely had a similar thing where eventually you settle into your ideal build, but I usually changed weapons multiple times during the ascent to that point. In this game, I got Ludwig's and then never used anything else except Tonitrus when I needed bolt and now Boom Hammer just because.

brietas

doll's

astle Cainhurst

Your first Souls game? Like It happened to most of the new players here in Gaf

I beat the game during my ban. Got the "true" (?) ending where
I become Mergo for NG+ (I think that's what happened?)

Fab game. Looked up conditions for other endings and ran right through to the top of Mergo's loft in about four hours in NG+. Paused before the end because I figured I'd settle the Chalice Dungeon trophy first. Fuuuuuuck the defiled dungeon. That firedog in Defiled is a real ass. Dude was one-shotting me with his charge. Rocked his shit after a couple hours of attempts and then... Amygdala. Amy didn't give me any trouble on the frontier through but in Defiled yooo I haven't gotten to 50% yet. It's kind of cool: after having just breezed through NG+ to hit a wall in the Defiled dungeon. But also, that wall is cheap af. The first case of artificial difficulty I've hit in this game. Disappointing.

I want to believe the
Sunrise
ending is the canon considering how souls games didnt acknowledge previous games ending for the nest installment.

I think the defiled is the only non root chalice with that modifier (50% less health), root chalices have two more modifiers to make the base chalices harder, those chalices are the place where you can get the most powerfull bloodgems in the game

I've been doing a pure Arcane build using Hunters Tools and Communion runes. I think Im like 22/18/13/9/X/56 arcane atm, just killed Ebrietas and will move on to the DLC tonight. Im only like level 74.

I have never felt more cheesy ever in my life haha.

Arcane is hard only early. then is pure stuns everywhere

Arondight

Facing Defiled Amy and then bloodletting beast has got to be the biggest frustration in the game yet.

Glad I somehow managed to beat both because they were the two biggest fuck you so far the game can give you. Pretty much at the Queen door but I'll wait till tomorrow to try it out.

NinjaBoiX

Meh, I'm done with this game now, it's too frustrating and takes too much hard work to get any enjoyment out of it.

Yet another Souls game left incomplete right near the end! I just realised I'm not having fun anymore and I've got too much other stuff to play. Life's too short mane!

Thanks for the help though guys, peace.

Your first Souls game? Like I happened to most of the new players here in Gaf
Nope, I've played through both Dark Souls previously. Still took me by surprise.

Started NG+. Gonna try blowing through the main game as fast as I can to get to the stuff I missed. Also downloaded the expansion, so that should be fun.

Essay

I would be psyched to respec to take up a different weapon but at this point my stats are just so perfectly tuned to Ludwig's there's basically no reason to use anything else. It's frustrating. Previous Souls games definitely had a similar thing where eventually you settle into your ideal build, but I usually changed weapons multiple times during the ascent to that point. In this game, I got Ludwig's and then never used anything else except Tonitrus when I needed bolt and now Boom Hammer just because.

Hmmm, if the issue is that your stats are pushing 50 STR and more SKL than other STR weapons could use, you could try farming for Cursed Heavy Abyssal gems. They can turn a few of the SKL-scaling weapons into multiscaling killsticks comparable to your LHB.

silva1991

Meh, I'm done with this game now, it's too frustrating and takes too much hard work to get any enjoyment out of it.

Yet another Souls game left incomplete right near the end! I just realised I'm not having fun anymore and I've got too much other stuff to play. Life's too short mane!

You haven't finished the game at all or are you frustrated with the dlc?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
You guys probably know this already, but I just now discovered that Amygdala has a kind of blind spot if you attack it's tail.

I'm in NG+, working up to starting The Old Hunters for the first time, and spent the afternoon clearing out Nightmare Frontier. Amy has killed me a couple of times now, but I've discovered it's quick and easy to get to the third phase if you get behind and attack the tail. It seems if you do this Amy will just try and stamp on you, which is slow and easy to avoid, then eventually do it's jump attack. It's quite simple to keep it in a loop until the third phase, when things get a bit more hectic.

Bit of a cheese strategy. Not sure how I never noticed it before. It's cool though, how it's possible to still discover new things almost a year after the game released.

Brakke

Banned
Hmmm, if the issue is that your stats are pushing 50 STR and more SKL than other STR weapons could use, you could try farming for Cursed Heavy Abyssal gems. They can turn a few of the SKL-scaling weapons into multiscaling killsticks comparable to your LHB.

Thanks for the tip but 1) I have no interest in farming gems and 2) in order to actually use a new weapon I'd *also* have to farm Chunks. Whack that they never showed up in the shop. And 20 Insight to buy one when it takes sixteen to upgrade is ridiculous.

Have you tried coop with Gaf? Or keep leveling, with 50 vit there is hardly any risk of dying.

see you in hell defiled amygdala.

I used the amygdalan arm too.

(so much easier after learning you can just stand still and charge an R2 attack... but still, what an annoying fight.)

Brakke

Banned
see you in hell defiled amygdala.

I used the amygdalan arm too.

(so much easier after learning you can just stand still and charge an R2 attack... but still, what an annoying fight.)

I was struggling with Deflined Amy yesterday but rocked that shit today. I played super patient under the crotch and then remembered I had picked up the Blacksky Eye in the DLC. When I was forced away from the crotch, I managed to stagger Amy by launching missiles at the head. I thought that'd just do solid chip damage but was happy to discover it was mad effective.

There's nothing better in this game than discovering a Hot New Technique and then surviving long enough to exploit it on the first run.

There's nothing better in this game than discovering a Hot New Technique and then surviving long enough to exploit it on the first run.

So true, I find myself defeating chalice bosses with relative ease now after things "clicked" during my play through of the DLC. I play defensive and figure out their attacks. Once I have a good idea, I go agro and dodge toward them, always hitting the back for a chance at a VA.

Anyone have any good strategies for PvP? Only time it gets any fun is when you invade a game with multiple players :( Otherwise it is a chess game and becomes a blood vial/vitality contest unless a person makes a huge mistake...

NinjaBoiX

You haven't finished the game at all or are you frustrated with the dlc?
I haven't finished the game at all. I just killed The One Reborn and then got killed a load in Mergo's loft. Realised that it just felt like hard work and that I'd lost patience with constantly dying and having to redo a load of progress.

I play games to unwind and have fun, this one just isn't doing either for me anymore!

I dunno man, it's just really not all that good. People bang on about how amazing the combat is, but it's kind of mashy and basic when you really look at it. Sure, you can parry and dodge and there are two forms for each weapon, but truth be told you still basically just spam a single attack button most of the time.

It's not exactly Bayonetta.
Have you tried coop with Gaf? Or keep leveling, with 50 vit there is hardly any risk of dying.
Seems like a perfect way to kill the main appeal of the game.

Melchiah

I haven't finished the game at all. I just killed The One Reborn and then got killed a load in Mergo's loft. Realised that it just felt like hard work and that I'd lost patience with constantly dying and having to redo a load of progress.

I play games to unwind and have fun, this one just isn't doing either for me anymore!

I dunno man, it's just really not all that good. People bang on about how amazing the combat is, but it's kind of mashy and basic when you really look at it. Sure, you can parry and dodge and there are two forms for each weapon, but truth be told you still basically just spam a single attack button most of the time.

If you played it like that, I think that might be why you'd think that way. There are various ways to approach the encounters, and different kind of enemies. At first some seemed problematic to me, until I found a better way. Like for example, learning to parry BSB, which made antidote, pungent blood cocktail, and molotovs needless in the fight. Every encounter, and area, is like a puzzle, that needs to be solved.

MikeyB

Never played Souls games. Just got to Bergynwerth (sp?) after killing the Shadows of Yharnam on the first go. I'm having a so-so time with it.

I am grinding and overleveled (at 80 I think), because I simply cannot get the mechanics down. I can only seem to time the parry about 35% of the time and even when I do, I cannot seem to get close enough for a visceral in time. I guess a skill build was a mistake.

The thing is, I really enjoy the game when I play it, but then I watched a couple of videos of areas I have cleared and I realize how slow I am going and how much I suck. That alone kind of killed it for me.

-Horizon-

Never played Souls games. Just got to Bergynwerth (sp?) after killing the Shadows of Yharnam on the first go. I'm having a so-so time with it.

I am grinding and overleveled (at 80 I think), because I simply cannot get the mechanics down. I can only seem to time the parry about 35% of the time and even when I do, I cannot seem to get close enough for a visceral in time. I guess a skill build was a mistake.

The thing is, I really enjoy the game when I play it, but then I watched a couple of videos of areas I have cleared and I realize how slow I am going and how much I suck. That alone kind of killed it for me.

I'm focusing on a skill build in my second play through right now and its awesome yo! :D

The cane whip carried me pretty far into the game and is still really good for some of the bosses that can be visceraled as well as crowd control. For the most part though I'm using the reiter...pash thing or however you spell it. Its the weapon from
cainhurst castle
that also scales well with the skill stat.

I'm heading to the second to last boss in the base game and I'm only level 78 I think. I've also beaten all the optional ones already minus the chalice dungeons (waste of time, I'm not doing those again).

I also still have problems parrying (mostly with the larger enemies), just can't get the timing right. But if you're having problem being too far to get the parry, well, you'll need to be more aggressive and closer. The blunderbuss with its wide spread but short range will help land more parries while forcing you into closer encounters.

And hey, its your first time into these kinds of games. Bloodborne is also my first From game as well so my first play through was just crazy bad. Its all about practice and learning from your mistakes with these games. Don't pay attention to how long it might take you to beat an area in comparison to others. We all have our own play styles.

After you get a parry, dash forward with circle (assuming you're locked on) and you'll have time to get the visceral. If you're having trouble timing the parry I would maybe go back to central yharnam and practice on some of the easier goons. Though, the timing will vary between enemies.

Anyway, you don't even need to parry. When you're dashing, don't always dash backwards or even to the side. Sometimes dash past/into the attack of the enemy, so you end up behind them, then you can let a combo down.

If you're too far to get a visceral attack you're shooting enemies from too far away. In other Souls games you parry with a shield and it's done right up close to the enemy, so as a new player to the series it might not be apparent in Bloodborne that you want to be that close when you do it. No further than a forward dash away really.

Different enemies (and different attacks) have different timings too, you just kind of have to learn it by trial and error and eventually it works in to your muscle memory. It's not essential though, you can get through the game without parrying, but it is a cool mechanic to get down :)

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

One of my favourite things about these games is that there really is no correct way to clear an area, or beat a boss. Of course if you watch videos you're bound to see someone doing something you never thought of, but so what? Play the game your way. Experiment. Find what works for you. Doesn't matter how long it takes.

And of course there's plenty of people here willing to drop you a hint, or lend a hand if you get really stuck.

Platinum GET!

Fuck yeah. Only my 2nd plat ever, after Guacamelee of all things.

And now I think I need a break before Dark Souls 3. (I also have Dark Souls 1, which I haven't played yet.)

Keinu

I did a co-op session with a friend the other day and we did the whole
forbidden woods
together including the boss fight with no problems. We've been trying to co-op today but keep getting disconnected. Even an invader got disconnected at one time. Any reason it suddenly stopped working? We had a party chat running the whole time and that had no issues at all. Kinda annoying since my friend is running out of insight and you don't get that back if you disconnect.

MikeyB

Thanks for all the advice. I'm using the cane, but want to use the rifle spear too, just because I love the concept of it. I default to the cane though.

I play super cautiously. Probably need to get more aggressive.

Seems like a perfect way to kill the main appeal of the game.

I didn't enjoy bloodborne until recently for similar reasons. I bought it at launch, played a bit, then let it sit on the shelf until recently. During this play through, things just clicked and I now see the depth of the combat system in this game, it is very versatile, each weapon has its own "style" and every player has their own method to taking down enemies.

It is sort of basic but that is the genius of it. The key to really being able to have fun with this game is timing. It is all about the timing of your parry and attacks. Once you get the feel for that, you can have a much better experience and the game transforms from being stressful to being completely enjoyable, even in unexplored areas.

Invading other players is even better, you win some-you lose some, but it changes the game entirely.

RDreamer

I think most of my fun for this game was zapped out of it with having to farm for blood vials, antidotes and molotovs for blood starved beast. I bought the key to go further and kind of did that a bit, but I just have this shitty nagging feeling that I'm going to be bummed about more shitty farming like that. I really just hate that system. It's not challenging, and it's not because it's hard that I want to quit. I really want to try and fight the boss again and figure things out, but not like this.

Was doing my second playthrough as a Threaded Cane run. Got to Rom and got sick of doing such low damage. Bought me a Ludwig's Holy Blade. Much more fun now.

Sesha

Ay oop, Bloodborne-GAF. Fine night for a hunt, innit? I'm looking for some awe-inspiring gifs depicting Bloodborne combat. I would craft some on me own but I don't have the knowhow nor the time. Could a sweet fellow or madam help a fellow hunter out?

NeoGiff

Bloodborne Saw Cleaver in real-life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Xp0bZP0Us

It even has an opening mechanism and looks... well, just great :)

Incredible.

gUXmfFU.gif

Ay oop, Bloodborne-GAF. Fine night for a hunt, innit? I'm looking for some awe-inspiring gifs depicting Bloodborne combat. I would craft some on me own but I don't have the knowhow nor the time. Could a sweet fellow or madam help a fellow hunter out?

Something life this?
Ke99BCZ.gif
J9UqAR5.gif

Top Bottom