• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Soulhouf

I think most of my fun for this game was zapped out of it with having to farm for blood vials, antidotes and molotovs for blood starved beast. I bought the key to go further and kind of did that a bit, but I just have this shitty nagging feeling that I'm going to be bummed about more shitty farming like that. I really just hate that system. It's not challenging, and it's not because it's hard that I want to quit. I really want to try and fight the boss again and figure things out, but not like this.

Here is a protip: you can farm for vials while practicing against the boss.
Ring your bell in front of the boss' door and try to help the host without using vials or antidote.
Not only you'll get better against the boss but also you'll be rewarded with echoes and items (on your way to the boss).
You reallly don't need antidote or molotov to beat it.
That boss used to be a nightmare for me. But I got to the point where I can beat it without using vials/antidote/molotov/whatever. The only thing I use now is the flame paper, but it's not required either.
BTW, the Saw Cleaver is very effective against him, so you may consider using it if you didn't already.

Good luck!

I did a quality build for my first two playthroughs. I wanna do a bloodtinge or maybe arcane build.

Should I roll a new character or just try to spec BT/ARC in NG++? I'm not sure if it'll take too long to do the latter in terms of gaining levels. :\

I do like the fact that I already have all the weps and gems though for the latter.

I did a quality build for my first two playthroughs. I wanna do a bloodtinge or maybe arcane build.

Should I roll a new character or just try to spec BT/ARC in NG++? I'm not sure if it'll take too long to do the latter in terms of gaining levels. :

I do like the fact that I already have all the weps and gems though for the latter.
Just roll another character I think it just gets to a point that leveling up an unused stat to 50 gets almost impossible once you hit a certain level. I'd roll bloodtinge build, arcane is just too finicky.

I'm nearly done with the game just need to beat the last boss of the DLC then the last boss of the main game. So close, yet so far. One thing that has impressed me throughout the whole game is the variety of weird attack animations they give every enemy to mess with your parries and dodges.
Like the whalers in the wharf who seem to charge with their spear for WAY too long.

RDreamer

Here is a protip: you can farm for vials while practicing against the boss.
Ring your bell in front of the boss' door and try to help the host without using vials or antidote.
Not only you'll get better against the boss but also you'll be rewarded with echoes and items (on your way to the boss).
You reallly don't need antidote or molotov to beat it.
That boss used to be a nightmare for me. But I got to the point where I can beat it without using vials/antidote/molotov/whatever. The only thing I use now is the flame paper, but it's not required either.
BTW, the Saw Cleaver is very effective against him, so you may consider using it if you didn't already.

Good luck!

I am using the Saw Cleaver and I don't have Playstation Plus at the moment.

Sesha

Something life this?
Ke99BCZ.gif
J9UqAR5.gif

The first one is the sort I'm looking for. Thanks. Got summat taken by a player that is an extended single shot and possibly shows the Quickening dash?

Brakke

Banned
Took out Pthumarian Queen in two tries: first try she surprise insta-killed me with stun and big blood explosion attack. I dunno how I feel about the chalices. First run through the game I appreciated this out-of-band thing I could do to take a "break" but jeez loueez they sure are monotonous. There's only, what, a dozen different rooms strung together in different ways? There were a couple cool bosses saved just for the chalices but on the whole I'm pretty take it or leave it on that whole enterprise.

Doesn't help that the gems aren't interesting. I don't wanna go read up a guide on optimal gem-slots and farming spots and all. My strategy of "just equip the three gems that make the numbers biggest" seems to have worked pretty well.

Now I settled the Queen and I've got two endings down. Just unlocked the shortcut to Shadows of Yarnham on run #3. Gotta accept Gherman's gift and that's the plat for me.

I'm approaching lv240 and my optimal 50/40/50/50/50/50 stat spread

I'm planning to make this character my NG+7 runner... suppose I decided to push past 240, what's the best stat to pour it into?

I am thinking arcane seeing how the tools scaled well past 50 - is there any compelling reason to push to 99 vit/str/skl over arc?

Brakke

Banned
Platinum Get!

I have plats on Dark Souls 1 & 2, and now this.

I only have like 40% trophy completion of Demon's Souls (despite having beaten that one several times) but that Plat looks super lame to get. You just gotta beat it so many times to get all the Boss Souls you need, and there's no mainline short-circuiting like you can do in Bloodborne. I think NG++ here took me like three hours, tops.

It's crazy how fast you can go. Pappa G, Vicky A, Shadow Squad, Rom, Legion and the The Ones, Micholash the Nightmare MC, Mergo. Plus the only actually important item on replays is the Blood Rock which is a quick run, you don't even have to kill anything.

Platinum Get!

I have plats on Dark Souls 1 & 2, and now this.

I only have like 40% trophy completion of Demon's Souls (despite having beaten that one several times) but that Plat looks super lame to get. You just gotta beat it so many times to get all the Boss Souls you need, and there's no mainline short-circuiting like you can do in Bloodborne. I think NG++ here took me like three hours, tops.

It's crazy how fast you can go. Pappa G, Vicky A, Shadow Squad, Rom, Legion and the The Ones, Micholash the Nightmare MC, Mergo. Plus the only actually important item on replays is the Blood Rock which is a quick run, you don't even have to kill anything.

I think you need to kill like 6 bosses in total to end the game without considering the two final bosses. Congrats good hunter

From memory you only have to go in to NG+ and kill one arch demon so you can rescue Yuria from 1-3 and use the Maiden in Black's soul to get a spell from her. If you dupe boss souls then you can get all the weapons and spells from them in NG (if it's not your first time at the rodeo, I don't personally consider it 'cheating'). It's not difficult to get all world and character tendency events in one NG cycle as long as you are mindful of it and don't slip up by being human when you should be in spirit form etc.
I recently did it for the second time and remember writing in the DeS OT that it was the quickest of the Souls games to platinum this way even though I messed up a little by forgetting some tendency events in NG. Pure Bladestone permitting it's the fastest of course! :p

I just beat the Blood Starved Beast and Vicar Amelia. Should I proceed to the Forbidden Woods or maybe get myself kidnapped by one of the Snatchers?
Either. I do both of things before Amelia. You might want to leave the boss of Hypogeon Gaol for later though, I found him tough that early YMMV.

edit - Forbidden Woods is obviously only doable after Amelia, I was thinking of Hemwick Lane, doh. Yeah I would still get kidnapped, hit the lamp and grab the loot then do the Woods.

Raptor

I killed Vicar Amelia, some Witch and now Im at some Forbidden Woods, but Im lost and I think stuff is getting really weird as in awesome weird lol.

Dont know where to go.

-Horizon-

I killed Vicar Amelia, some Witch and now Im at some Forbidden Woods, but Im lost and I think stuff is getting really weird as in awesome weird lol.

Dont know where to go.

The forbidden woods only leads to two places if I recall correctly. One will keep you going forward in the game (if you see
giant pigs in a stream you can walk in, you're going in the right direction
), the other is a shortcut where
its a poison filled cave that will lead you back to the clinic in the beginning

Man I'm like level 63 with a +6 pizza cutter going through Lower Hintertomb chalice and I still haven't gone beyond the first half of the forbidden woods. I'm just taking my time with this playthrough. Half of it's just time and the other is I'm in no rush at all. Granted I think I'm going to get passed the woods before I take on the BSB in there though cause I eventually just need stronger weapons.

Raptor

Is that a strictly game+ weapon or can I go and try to get it now?

Also I joinded some dude in a uniform and gave me a Rune.

Also I joinded some dude in a uniform and gave me a Rune.
Did you get the dlc? Are you talking about Valtr? You got the League Rune, he'll help you as an npc against bosses with that rune equiped at certain lanterns.

Brakke

Banned
I just beat the Blood Starved Beast and Vicar Amelia. Should I proceed to the Forbidden Woods or maybe get myself kidnapped by one of the Snatchers?

Getting kidnapped is a fine thing to do. You also should *definitely* do the Charnel Lane. There's a Witch boss at the end, beat that boss and then you can equip Runes. On the stairs up to Amelia's cathedral, turn left just before the final flight.

Also, you should talk to any house-people you see now. Keep an eye out for red lanterns.

Shining Coins help in the woods.

Yoooo. I never used a single one of these but yeah dropping a path in the Woods is a great idea. That place got confusing.

My general tip for navigating the Woods is to always be heading downward.

There's only one strictly NG+ weapon, a scythe. The Pizza Cutter I assume means Whirlygig Saw, which is a DLC weapon. I forget how early into DLC it is but maaaaan I found the DLC tough. I saved it until right before killing the final boss in my first play through and I struggled with it.

You can still use the scythe in NG actually. Just homeword bone out of there as long as you have unlocked the criteria for the secret boss.

The DLC has enough weapons just lying around early on that you could probably go in super under-leveled and just run around picking them all up, including the pizza cutter, turn on Benny Hill music for maximum effect.

Raptor

The DLC has enough weapons just lying around early on that you could probably go in super under-leveled and just run around picking them all up, including the pizza cutter, turn on Benny Hill music for maximum effect.

Yes this is what I mean, Im level 43 now and I wonder if I can go there and just run around and get that weapon and continue my journey.

Af yes where should I go to enter that stuff lol.

Brakke

Banned
Yes this is what I mean, Im level 43 now and I wonder if I can go there and just run around and get that weapon and continue my journey.

Af yes where should I go to enter that stuff lol.

You should get a key item "Eye of" something from a messenger in the Dream. Warp to Cathedral Ward / Odeon Chapel, go out the left exit. Run around the edge of the little courtyard until you trigger a purple energy ball by a tree. Get hit by that ball.

This is easier with higher Insight.

Raptor

You should get a key item "Eye of" something from a messenger in the Dream. Warp to Cathedral Ward / Odeon Chapel, go out the left exit. Run around the edge of the little courtyard until you trigger a purple energy ball by a tree. Get hit by that ball.

This is easier with higher Insight.

Alright will try :)

Alright will try :)
Just...run from everything. I only attempted the dlc that early to get the pizza cutter weapon and cause I had already beaten it with a different character. Even with viscerals the basic hunter enemies will be a challenge, would take at least 4 to kill just one and you don't even know the parry timing for the basic ones yet. Good luck. Get the pizza cutter and just bold hunters mark out.

Raptor

Just...run from everything. I only attempted the dlc that early to get the pizza cutter weapon and cause I had already beaten it with a different character. Even with viscerals the basic hunter enemies will be a challenge, would take at least 4 to kill just one and you don't even know the parry timing for the basic ones yet. Good luck. Get the pizza cutter and just bold hunters mark out.

Oh, that is what the Hunters Mark is for lol, I was afraid of using because I thought it was for respec or something lol.

jeez

Getting kidnapped is a fine thing to do. You also should *definitely* do the Charnel Lane. There's a Witch boss at the end, beat that boss and then you can equip Runes. On the stairs up to Amelia's cathedral, turn left just before the final flight.

Also, you should talk to any house-people you see now. Keep an eye out for red lanterns.

Yoooo. I never used a single one of these but yeah dropping a path in the Woods is a great idea. That place got confusing.

My general tip for navigating the Woods is to always be heading downward.

There's only one strictly NG+ weapon, a scythe. The Pizza Cutter I assume means Whirlygig Saw, which is a DLC weapon. I forget how early into DLC it is but maaaaan I found the DLC tough. I saved it until right before killing the final boss in my first play through and I struggled with it.

Thanks for the heads up. I might do that first then get myself kidnapped then head to the Forbidden Woods.

If he runs straight for the pizza cutter without killing anything, he might as well get killed to get back (or use the regular hunter's mark). :)

Kazdane

I started playing this two days ago. Not really that much on the first day (around 50 minutes?) and it was mostly trying to figure out the combat, how to level up, etc. Yesterday I played a lot more, around 4 hours, and made it past the cleric beast and father gascoigne, but I'm unsure if the stat distribution I'm using is good...

So far I've only put skill points in Vitality (14), Endurance (15) and Strength (20). My character is a military veteran.

myco666

I started playing this two days ago. Not really that much on the first day (around 50 minutes?) and it was mostly trying to figure out the combat, how to level up, etc. Yesterday I played a lot more, around 4 hours, and made it past the cleric beast and father gascoigne, but I'm unsure if the stat distribution I'm using is good...

So far I've only put skill points in Vitality (14), Endurance (15) and Strength (20). My character is a military veteran.

IMO putting points into damage stats (Str/Skill/BT/Arc) is useless in the early game and it would be much more beneficial to get Vit and End to 20 or little bit above. Once you hit that point your weapons should be upgraded enough to get decent benefits from damage stats. I especially recommend this for first time players since you can change your weapons more freely until you hit the point where upgrade materials you need get more limited.

Your distribution is fine but that 20 points at Strength kind of forces you to use only Strength weapons but you can still change it if you want at some point.

Kazdane

IMO putting points into damage stats (Str/Skill/BT/Arc) is useless in the early game and it would be much more beneficial to get Vit and End to 20 or little bit above. Once you hit that point your weapons should be upgraded enough to get decent benefits from damage stats. I especially recommend this for first time players since you can change your weapons more freely until you hit the point where upgrade materials you need get more limited.

Your distribution is fine but that 20 points at Strength kind of forces you to use only Strength weapons but you can still change it if you want at some point.

I like strength based-characters, so using only strength weapons wouldn't really be an issue, but initially I didn't realize how useful is Endurance as it allows you to dodge/combo more movements at once. I'll get Vit/End to 20 then before going on a +1/+1/+1 cycle.

Hokay so.... I'm relatively new to the series. I struggled quite a bit in Bloodborne early on but eventually got to grips with the combat.

Cleric Beast - 2 tries
Gascoigne - 1 try
Blood Starved Beast - 3 tries
Darkbeast Paarl - I've lost fucking count

I summon the AI helper dude and... doesn't help at all. I can not get this guy down very far at all before I'm dead. I think maybe I shouldn't be fighting it yet, but I doubt a few stat boosts are going to help me...

I'm mostly strength based and have been using Ludwig's Sword (in 2H) since I got it. Stagger stagger stagger is beast.... but maybe it's just too slow against this boss? I dunno....

myco666

Hokay so.... I'm relatively new to the series. I struggled quite a bit in Bloodborne early on but eventually got to grips with the combat.

Cleric Beast - 2 tries
Gascoigne - 1 try

I summon the AI helper dude and... doesn't help at all. I can not get this guy down very far at all before I'm dead. I think maybe I shouldn't be fighting it yet, but I doubt a few stat boosts are going to help me...

I'm mostly strength based and have been using Ludwig's Sword (in 2H) since I got it. Stagger stagger stagger is beast.... but maybe it's just too slow against this boss? I dunno....

Paarl is optional and you are there rather early. I would suggest you to just explore other areas before trying to beat it. As for LHB it is fine for that boss.

Cleric Beast - 2 tries
Gascoigne - 1 try

Are you using fire papers? stick to his legs, try hittinb the back legs as much as possible, the front ones are dealy and wait for his swipe combo to lure yourself on his back and attack to force him to do the AOE move, evade and wait for the swipes

Top Bottom