• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

That's cool but what's the purpose of them? Do I need to beat them to complete the game?
Only if you want the platinum. There are different bosses for some of them too that as far as I'm concerned if you don't fight them you don't get the full Bloodborne experience.

Soulhouf

Keep us posted how you get on Soulhouf. :)

My first run was SL4 and I had a tough time with the Shadows Of Yarnham, but eventually got to Wet Nurse then had to take a break, just wanted to experience the game normally I think by that point. I loaded up the character a few days ago and realised I had only been using Moon runes so kind of handicapped myself there unintentionally, I was thinking of picking up where I left off since Wet Nurse seems like it should be relatively easy. Thinking about doing the same in DS3 with my first run, but we'll see how it goes!

Wow, seriously? You started straight with a SL4 run? Congrat! I'm not sure I could do it like that!

I didn't have the chance to play last night but tonight I made a good progress. I've beaten Old Yharnam, went to Yahar'gul for twin bloodstones, unlock the shortcut and get the Tornitrus, only to discover I can't use it.
Made it to Hemwick and called it a night.

CaJsICWWIAI2HYA.jpg:orig

This game is way more intimidating than Dark Souls but it's not that hard TBH. I expect to start struggling from the Forbidden Woods onward and probably be stuck at Yahar'gul and The One Reborn. We shall see.

It reminds me the first time when in Dark Souls, at first I decided to see how far I can go without leveling up and I was surprised I was able to beat it.
It's really fascinating to me. Playing it with these restrictions makes It a different game because you have to rethink your strategy, take advantage of every item the game throws at you to succeed. I'm not sure it's the case but these games seem to always to have been designed to be beaten without leveling up.

Bloodborne is more balanced and thus I'm not expecting to be able to breeze through it with an OP elemental weapon but it looks totally doable.

Man, THIS GAME!

Shouldn't a proper Fei run be a fists only run?

My name isn't LobosJR.
Joke aside I don't think fist only possible SL4, is it?

I have never attempted an unleveled souls game run. Epicnamebro tried no level and no death and we'll I think the farthest he got was byrgenwerth but I'm not sure anymore either that or sons of Yharnam got him with some cheese shit.

I definately had trouble with The One Reborn (actually thought that's where I'd got up to until I loaded the character and saw I was at Wet Nurse). I used the axe a bit too mainly because of it's range, it helped with SoY before I was using the cleaver and had a tough time with them.

Jigolo

I vaguely remember on PS3 when I got the chance to play Demons Souls for the first time. I found it slow, confusing (all these different items I had no clue what they did), repetitive (only because I kept dying and couldn't pass the first portal world where you start on a bridge, lol), and very difficult. Notes on the floor, losing all your souls after dying feeling like a waste, having no idea where to go or what the purpose of the portals were. I actually pretty much finished this first little section after a while but had no idea what to do next. I did kill most of the dudes except that really hard guy on the narrow bridge so I was walking around with no idea what to do next (I think I remember hearing a dragon or something). So I ended up dropping it because I thought the game just wasn't for me.

Fast forward a few years, I bought BB for BF because it was cheap and thought I'd give it one more shot. Hearing about how much faster the game was definitely made me say hell why not since I'm a fan of hack n slash games (Bayo, DmC) this made me think it was going to be more like those, fast paced. Finally opened my copy today made my character on started my journey for the pale blood. I reach the beast and try to whoop his ass with my chops but no chance, it devours me. Reached the graveyard world walk around and learn new things: press up on the d-pad and use silver bullets and lose health (whatever that does, I got no clue) pick up the stick weapon and pistol and come back and whoop his ass. Make my way outside and kill a few tall guys. Climb the stairs and wow to my surprise there is a checkpoint like feature in this game. Turn that on and continue my journey (admittedly I was already quite bored), follow this path to where a TON of those tall dudes are and try to destroy them and get demolished. Came back to life and tried multiple different paths and after dying a few more times, I just could not get into it. Souls just doesn't click with me

Well I think I fucked up a shortcut in the Forbidden Woods. That 1st elevator that leads back to the lamp specifically. I stepped on the elevator and panicked thinking it was gonna send me somewhere I wasn't ready for and got off before it went up. Now I guess it's stuck at the top and won't come back down.

Kinda losing steam now with the incredibly long run back to the boss and the fact that the shadows beat my ass when I get there. Oh well...

-Horizon-

Finally messing around with the arcane items.

I didn't time it but I feel like old hunter bone doesn't last that long? Kind of disappointing, the effect is so cool too.

And are there any arcane items that would be recommended? I'm trying them out but not sure which is that good.

Well I think I fucked up a shortcut in the Forbidden Woods. That 1st elevator that leads back to the lamp specifically. I stepped on the elevator and panicked thinking it was gonna send me somewhere I wasn't ready for and got off before it went up. Now I guess it's stuck at the top and won't come back down.

Kinda losing steam now with the incredibly long run back to the boss and the fact that the shadows beat my ass when I get there. Oh well...
Don't all elevators have a lever near them to call them back? I mean you activated it already. The lever should work now.

I didn't time it but I feel like old hunter bone doesn't last that long? Kind of disappointing, the effect is so cool too.

And are there any arcane items that would be recommended? I'm trying them out but not sure which is that good.

Don't all elevators have a lever near them to call them back? I mean you activated it already. The lever should work now.
I looked around, I guess I will again. I might've missed it.

I looked around, I guess I will again. I might've missed it.

There is a lever there.

As for Shadows of Yarnham, my strategy was to lead the melee guy off by himself as much as possible and stun him with the pistol + visceral until he was dead. Then I focused on the flaming melee guy, sort of doing the same thing. Lead him off and visceral. But I didn't get him below 10% health before hopping over to the magic dude and wailing on him until he was dead, then took out the 3rd guy before any snakes even popped up. Might've been my favorite fight so far.

Anyway, tonight I beat Cainhurst. It was great fun figuring out how to stun ML before he charged up and visceraled the crap out of him. On to some chalice dungeons!

Ledbetter

Went up to Hemwick Witch, and after I thought I've defeated her, another one appears and three beasts destroyed me. So tomorrow I'll come back because this game makes me play long sessions, and the more tired I am, the more fuckups I make.

Another thing, is it recommended to level up the axe to +10 or should I get another strong-based weapon? I'm level 40.

Went up to Hemwick Witch, and after I thought I've defeated her, another one appears and three beasts destroyed me. So tomorrow I'll come back because this game makes me play long sessions, and the more tired I am, the more fuckups I make.

Another thing, is it recommended to level up the axe to +10 or should I get another strong-based weapon? I'm level 40.

Level the weapon you like, the Hunter Axe alone can let you finish the main game with ease.

Also dont kill the summons, focus on the witches.

So I've now finished the main game and the DLC. Only thing left for me to do is complete all the chalice Dungeons to get the plat but wow these Dungeons are repetitive and a ball ache to get through.

I've just opened up the Ailing Loran dungeon

Question is, is there a quick way to get the final trophy from the Chalice Dungeons? Is there a particular order you have to do them in?

Melchiah

So, I've so far managed to gather 3 Vermins from the DLC, and it seems like the enemy hunters don't give you more than that. Is there any other way than online play to get the remaining two to finish the League quest? I really don't want to kill Valtr in order to get the gear. To my understanding you can get Vermins from co-op play, so PVP isn't mandatory?

myco666

So I've now finished the main game and the DLC. Only thing left for me to do is complete all the chalice Dungeons to get the plat but wow these Dungeons are repetitive and a ball ache to get through.

I've just opened up the Ailing Loran dungeon

Question is, is there a quick way to get the final trophy from the Chalice Dungeons? Is there a particular order you have to do them in?

Fastest way to do it is.

Pthumeru Chalice
Centra Pthumeru Chalice
Lower Pthumeru Chalice
Ailing Loran Chalice (only up to 3rd layer so that you can get Bastard of Loran)
Defiled Chalice (Pthumeru)
Great Isz Chalice (only up to 3rd layer so that you can get Red Jelly)
Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice

I am not sure if going to NG+ is going to unlock materials you need for the Pthumeru Chalices in the insight shop or not so you maybe able to skip Ailing Loran and Isz totally.

edit.
So, I've so far managed to gather 3 Vermins from the DLC, and it seems like the enemy hunters don't give you more than that. Is there any other way than online play to get the remaining two to finish the League quest? I really don't want to kill Valtr in order to get the gear. To my understanding you can get Vermins from co-op play, so PVP isn't mandatory?

I guess you could try to farm them from the Hunters with red eyes. PVP isn't mandatory and I don't think you can even get them by doing PVP. If you can get them by doing PVP you could just kill NPC hunters in the main game to get them.

Bloodborne has been my first Souls game but I gotta say, I fell in love with it. So much so that last week I got my first and only platinum trophy.
All thanks to Paleblood.
I can't wait to jump into Dark Souls 3 once it comes out but I'm kinda scared to be overwhelmed with lore and game play change, since I've never played any of the previous games. Can I jump into DS3 blindly or do I have to read up on the lore before I start the game?

Melchiah

I guess you could try to farm them from the Hunters with red eyes. PVP isn't mandatory and I don't think you can even get them by doing PVP. If you can get them by doing PVP you could just kill NPC hunters in the main game to get them.

I already went through the DLC few times, from the beginning to the Research Hall, and got none from the hunters I slayed along the way. I may have to try getting them through co-op. I've also killed all the hunters from the main game, apart from Alfred. Does the one in Mensis respawn, or does my memory just play tricks with me?

Bloodborne has been my first Souls game but I gotta say, I fell in love with it. So much so that last week I got my first and only platinum trophy.
All thanks to Paleblood.
I can't wait to jump into Dark Souls 3 once it comes out but I'm kinda scared to be overwhelmed with lore and game play change, since I've never played any of the previous games. Can I jump into DS3 blindly or do I have to read up on the lore before I start the game?
You won't have to have played the previous games or really know anything about them. It will be a bonus if you have of course as there's sure to be little tidbits and callbacks to the previous game but nothing you would *need* to know.

Dark Souls plays different but also more varied really, you certainly don't have to use a shield a lot of people never used shields in the Souls games, at least for defense (some gear has passive bonuses etc, like runes in Bloodborne for example).

The only ones I've used and liked have been Black Sky Eye and Tiny Tonitrus, I haven't used Accursed Brew yet though. A Call Beyond is good, but it's highly inaccurate.

Soulhouf

I vaguely remember on PS3 when I got the chance to play Demons Souls for the first time. I found it slow, confusing (all these different items I had no clue what they did), repetitive (only because I kept dying and couldn't pass the first portal world where you start on a bridge, lol), and very difficult. Notes on the floor, losing all your souls after dying feeling like a waste, having no idea where to go or what the purpose of the portals were. I actually pretty much finished this first little section after a while but had no idea what to do next. I did kill most of the dudes except that really hard guy on the narrow bridge so I was walking around with no idea what to do next (I think I remember hearing a dragon or something). So I ended up dropping it because I thought the game just wasn't for me.

Fast forward a few years, I bought BB for BF because it was cheap and thought I'd give it one more shot. Hearing about how much faster the game was definitely made me say hell why not since I'm a fan of hack n slash games (Bayo, DmC) this made me think it was going to be more like those, fast paced. Finally opened my copy today made my character on started my journey for the pale blood. I reach the beast and try to whoop his ass with my chops but no chance, it devours me. Reached the graveyard world walk around and learn new things: press up on the d-pad and use silver bullets and lose health (whatever that does, I got no clue) pick up the stick weapon and pistol and come back and whoop his ass. Make my way outside and kill a few tall guys. Climb the stairs and wow to my surprise there is a checkpoint like feature in this game. Turn that on and continue my journey (admittedly I was already quite bored), follow this path to where a TON of those tall dudes are and try to destroy them and get demolished. Came back to life and tried multiple different paths and after dying a few more times, I just could not get into it. Souls just doesn't click with me

Bloodborne is a deceptively fast game. Sure, the action is faster than in Demon's Souls.
But you still need to take a slow methodical approach at least in the beginning where you're still learning how to play.
Usually lure enemies one by one (that's what pebbles are for!), let them attack to analyze their behavior while dodging and as soon as you see an opening counter attack. Always pay attention to your stamina gauge, you find yourself wide open when it runs out.

These games aren't easy to get into but believe me. Once it clicks, there is no turning back. So give it a chance.

BTW which weapon did you pick? You mentioned a stick, did you mean the Threaded Cane? I always recommend the Saw Cleaver to beginners. It's the easiest weapon to handle, fast, powerful enough with an excellent moveset to adapt to any situation. It's not a coincidence it's the game's icon.

It gave me a laugh, that he forgot the hiding huntsman several times, just like I did back then. Not to mention, the brick troll charging him from behind.
That's actually happened to me before. It's really a problem if you go down those stairs from the bridge lantern and just hit the level in reverse cause I always wait down those stairs after triggering them and just wait to ambush. One time I got hit by the brick troll without even knowing he knew I was there, they're quite silent.
maybe the earlier hardest mechanic so far is to understand the pistol is for parry rather for killing
That and weapon transformations.

pixxxelz

Research hall is the worst place for co-op, I joined five different players yesterday and every single one of them died before reaching the boss, wtf.

Ok, Defiled Chalice is some bullshit. I only have half of my health, really? The first boss is destroying me. How does co-op work in the chalice dungeons, do I just ring the bell normally? (Anyone want to help?

EDIT: Ok, got to Defiled Amygdala and I'm losing my damn mind. This fight is such bullshit I can't take it. May be time for me to put Bloodborne back on the shelf.

Sulik2

Ok did I mess up getting all the
umbilicals? I found one in the real world hunters dream and I know you get one from a boss. I already cleared out Iosefka's clinic and never got an umbilical so that locks me out of getting the last two right?

I did feel like a boss beating the second Rom though. Exploited like crazy. Fought him like normal to half health, used powder and got two cannon shots. Used all my vials on bullets and powder until I ran out of bullets then threw all my molotovs and knives at him until he died while hiding behind a pillar. I still kind of want to punch the designer who created that boss fight though. Its awful.

pixxxelz

Ok did I mess up getting all the
umbilicals? I found one in the real world hunters dream and I know you get one from a boss. I already cleared out Iosefka's clinic and never got an umbilical so that locks me out of getting the last two right?

I did feel like a boss beating the second Rom though. Exploited like crazy. Fought him like normal to half health, used powder and got two cannon shots. Used all my vials on bullets and powder until I ran out of bullets then threw all my molotovs and knives at him until he died while hiding behind a pillar. I still kind of want to punch the designer who created that boss fight though. Its awful.

You only need 3 for the "true" ending though, if you rescued ariana and go back to the entrance of cathedral ward after you beat a certain boss (iirc is the one after Rom) she'll..give you the third one, if you didn't save her and you already killed iosefka then you're out of luck.

Ok, Defiled Chalice is some bullshit. I only have half of my health, really? The first boss is destroying me. How does co-op work in the chalice dungeons, do I just ring the bell normally? (Anyone want to help?

EDIT: Ok, got to Defiled Amygdala and I'm losing my damn mind. This fight is such bullshit I can't take it. May be time for me to put Bloodborne back on the shelf.

Bait his head slam attack and go for a single hit and then roll back, repeat this until he rip his arms off after that just go under him and start tickling his ankles. This video explains it better: https://youtu.be/K_JPpIKt9gM

RDreamer

Goddammit... I saw videos/tips online saying to use Pungent Blood Cocktails for Blood Starved Beast. It's supposed to lure him away letting you get a free shot. I just used 6 of them and with literally 0 of them did he even remotely look at the thing. I don't fucking get it.

Also I'm really just annoyed right now at having to fucking farm for blood vials and antidotes every fucking time I die.

Oh that's fucking rad. Just looked somewhere else and someone else is saying it just doesn't work in some games. Thanks asshole game, thanks...

RetroMG

Goddammit... I saw videos/tips online saying to use Pungent Blood Cocktails for Blood Starved Beast. It's supposed to lure him away letting you get a free shot. I just used 6 of them and with literally 0 of them did he even remotely look at the thing. I don't fucking get it.

Also I'm really just annoyed right now at having to fucking farm for blood vials and antidotes every fucking time I die.

Oh that's fucking rad. Just looked somewhere else and someone else is saying it just doesn't work in some games. Thanks asshole game, thanks...

Yeah, I ran into this same issue. He would maybe go over to where I threw it, but once I hit him, he'd turn back around and lay into me.

Here's how I did it:
I used the axe in extended form with fire paper. Get a little bit of distance and run straight at him. He will almost always respond by taking a swing at you with his right claw. As you get close to him, veer left and you should be able to run directly under his arm as he attacks. (The attack should miss. It doesn't always, but it should.) Turn and hit him a couple times with the axe. Now get some distance, and repeat. Once he gets his third form, I try to stay back and chip away his health with Molotovs, either until he dies or I run out of cocktails.

Good luck! He was one of the hardest bosses for me. I found a video of this strategy on Reddit, but I can't seem to find it now.

RDreamer

Yeah, I ran into this same issue. He would maybe go over to where I threw it, but once I hit him, he'd turn back around and lay into me.

Here's how I did it:
I used the axe in extended form with fire paper. Get a little bit of distance and run straight at him. He will almost always respond by taking a swing at you with his right claw. As you get close to him, veer left and you should be able to run directly under his arm as he attacks. (The attack should miss. It doesn't always, but it should.) Turn and hit him a couple times with the axe. Now get some distance, and repeat. Once he gets his third form, I try to stay back and chip away his health with Molotovs, either until he dies or I run out of cocktails.

Good luck! He was one of the hardest bosses for me. I found a video of this strategy on Reddit, but I can't seem to find it now.

Problem has been the 3rd form. I got to that form every time and then just got royally fucked. Even when I was trying to toss bottles that weren't working I could get to there.

Biggest problem now is that I really don't fucking want to farm for more blood vials, antidotes and molotovs again. I really want to like this game, but shit like this doesn't make the game hard. It makes it annoying.

Bait his head slam attack and go for a single hit and then roll back, repeat this until he rip his arms off after that just go under him and start tickling his ankles. This video explains it better: https://youtu.be/K_JPpIKt9gM

This is basically the strategy I've been going with, it's just really tough with how much damage he can do with such a wide swing. I went through 120 blood vials tonight on this fucking guy.

Problem has been the 3rd form. I got to that form every time and then just got royally fucked. Even when I was trying to toss bottles that weren't working I could get to there.

Biggest problem now is that I really don't fucking want to farm for more blood vials, antidotes and molotovs again. I really want to like this game, but shit like this doesn't make the game hard. It makes it annoying.

Are you playing keep away and dodging back from his attacks? He's relentless in his third phase and won't stop attacking if you keep backing up. If you dodge past his attacks to get behind him, you get more opportunities for hits and more breathing room, since he has to take his time to turn around.

Holy shit I had Amygdala down to the third phase, and I get the Weapon at Risk notification. Got it down to about 1500 health and got stomped on. -_-

RDreamer

Are you playing keep away and dodging back from his attacks? He's relentless in his third phase and won't stop attacking if you keep backing up. If you dodge past his attacks to get behind him, you get more opportunities for hits and more breathing room, since he has to take his time to turn around.

I've tried both ways, being further and being close. He just attacks every second the entire time it seems.

After I died 15+ times and finally defeated the werewolf, I got into Yharnam and realized ...

... I could've equipped the Threaded Cane the entire time.

I like that this isn't going to hold my hand, but at the same time, WARN ME.

You picked up the threaded cane and never thought to find a way to use it? Come on man, that's just common sense.

The game nevers tells you to equip the weapons, neither to understand the messengers are holding the pistol on the dream the first time you die. Or the pistols equip on the secondary slot since the others messengers who acts like notes are a little far away from the dream main zone

Melchiah

That's actually happened to me before. It's really a problem if you go down those stairs from the bridge lantern and just hit the level in reverse cause I always wait down those stairs after triggering them and just wait to ambush. One time I got hit by the brick troll without even knowing he knew I was there, they're quite silent.

That happened to me in the beginning as well. I tried to sneak past him, but to my surprise he was alerted to my presence when I started fighting with the mob up the stairs. Ended up being corner-fucked by him.

I recommend to buy the 10k key to the Cathedral Ward gate, and return to BSB once you've levelled up and found Black Church attire, which has a higher poison resistance. That's what I've done on all three playthroughs. You don't necessarily need to use Antidote, just Blood Vials to raise the depleting health, at least with that attire. I don't remember if that's viable with the earlier attire sets.

The fight also becomes easier, when you learn when to parry the boss.

EDIT: I think the hardest part is to avoid the jump where it graps you. You'll know it's about to come, when it puts both hands on the ground, and remains still for a little while. That's your cue to evade the incoming attack.

After I died 15+ times and finally defeated the werewolf, I got into Yharnam and realized ...

You picked up the threaded cane and never thought to find a way to use it? Come on man, that's just common sense.

Yeah, it still puzzles me how things like that can be missed.

silva1991

Lol

I like you Ricky and i hope you have a good time with this game and finish it.

Top Bottom