• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Brakke

Banned
I summoned a twin sister of something and it says "A lady ringed a sinister bell" got scared as shit lol, that AI got proper killed alright and it left me with 2 full bar ones and one at 10% started to summon some big ass snakes (I mean big not like anaconda big but big ass snakes jeez) and got killed by one hit of them.

Tragic!

I guess the other tip is there's 2 transformations for that boss. When one of them gets under a health threshold, they all transform (snakes grow out of them). Then individuals transformation when they get super low *or* there's one left, that's when they start summoning those snakes. So you could try spreading damage around a bit in phase 1 to put off the first transformation, then once you trigger it you should focus-fire rush them down one by one.

I talked to some nice dude at a house that before it was pure like lamenting or screms I dont know but something was there and now is this nice dude that gave me a stone, it said "Right of the grand cathedral" so I supose I have to go to the grand cathedral?

That stone lets you go to an optional area. I think it's a cool area with a cool boss and it has a very good farming area. So if you want a change of scenery that's a fine way to go.

Tragic!

I guess the other tip is there's 2 transformations for that boss. When one of them gets under a health threshold, they all transform (snakes grow out of them). Then individuals transformation when they get super low *or* there's one left, that's when they start summoning those snakes. So you could try spreading damage around a bit in phase 1 to put off the first transformation, then once you trigger it you should focus-fire rush them down one by one.

That stone lets you go to an optional area. I think it's a cool area with a cool boss and it has a very good farming area. So if you want a change of scenery that's a fine way to go.
I got so lucky my first playthrough and somehow one shot the Shadows. My second playthrough, I ended up summoning help. Dudes are so annoying at times.

Raptor

Tragic!

I figured something was up with how low that life bar was and started to summon, so following your tips I will not focus on one but on all till they convert then I go to town on them.

Nice.

Alright, I had to research and oh my god thats very cool what happens lol, gotta go there after this shadows are done.

Neen

Neo Member
Anyone willing to help me out? Attempting Micolash on my second playthrough.

Two days ago user: opticalmace offered up his services but unfortunately we failed.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I beat him!

I figured something was up with how low that life bar was and started to summon, so following your tips I will not focus on one but on all till they convert then I go to town on them.

Nice.

Alright, I had to research and oh my god thats very cool what happens lol, gotta go there after this shadows are done.

I posted a video recently of me taking on the Shadows. It might not help but the strategy I used has worked pretty consistently for me.

https://youtu.be/0iqQ7u0JgUQ

This was the first Souls game I’ve completed, I put about 10 hours into Dark Souls and wasn’t really feeling it. Bloodborne was on sale a few weeks ago and I decided to give it a go. It took me until Gascoigne to fall in love. The transforming weapons are great and I love how quick combat is compared to Dark Souls. It reminds me of fighting games in a weird way, watching animations, knowing when to back off and when to go in, knowing HOW to get in, it feels like an odd way to prepare for Street Fighter V. Some specifics:

Bosses

Ludwig> Gerhman> Maria>Logarius>Gascoigne> Blood-Starved>Ebrietas> Paarl> Amelia> Amygdala> Orphan of Kos>Mergo’s Wet Nurse>Laurence> Cleric Beast> Rom>Shadows of Yarnham>Moon Presence> Micolash>Celestial Emmisary> The One Reborn>Living Failures>Witches.

In general, I really enjoyed the big giant beast bosses or other hunters, when the game went somewhere in between, chances are it was one of the weaker bosses. Ludwig may be one of my favorite bosses of all time, everything is centered around telling a story within the boss fight, but it never sacrifices the fun or the difficulty of it. The mid-fight cutscene, the shift in the music, the new moveset, everything about it is perfect. Gehrman is a close second, Ludwig is the best of the big beasts, Gerhman is the best of the hunters. It’s great that he’s almost a callback to Gascoigne, it’s a great to see how far you’ve come and how much you’ve grown. Parrying everything he throws at you is a great way to show off everything you’ve learned and makes you feel damned good, but even just dodging, hitting and running feels great with the stage and music. Lady Maria is just a well-designed boss, I like that rather than switching up her moveset, every phase just adds another hazard, making your execution tighter and punishing you harder for any mistakes you make.

Logarius is a boss that just clicks for you, he kicks your ass until you understand his pattern, then he’s just a visceral machine and it’s a great feeling, I enjoy the rooftop environment, but dodging off of it is a pain. Gascoigne is a great deep end of the pool moment, he’s a clinic on how you should be playing. I like how he starts following the same rules you do, then breaks them a little bit using his gun with the transformed axe, then says fuck it and the game expects you to adapt to a boss that just never stops.

BSB was my first wall in the game, it was the first time I started talking to myself during a fight, the first time my palms got all sweaty when his healthbar got beneath his name. BSB finally going down was probably one of my favorite moments of the game, he’s the boss that taught me to be like a doctor and have patience, wait for certain attacks that open him up for damage.

Ebreitas was my late game wall, and probably the most difficult thing in the game for me. The boss was fun, but I was a little disappointed that my answer was just upgrading my weapon more. It was rare that the solution was ever a mechanical thing like that, but going in with a +10 LHB made it a completely different ballgame, it took a lot of pressure off and my biggest wall fell down.

Paarl and Amelia were about equal. Amelia was the first time I beat a boss on the first try, and the first time I wanted to have more time with a boss. I felt like I knew what I was doing going in and happened to have fire paper blazing when she began her healing process right next to me, it didn’t turn out well for her.

Figuring out Amygdala was fun, I was getting pounded getting in close, and once it clicked I should keep my distance a little bit my performance improved greatly, and it felt great. Orphan was another situation where leveling was the answer, I got my ass kicked for a while, leveled, went back to test how far I still had to go and ended up winning the fight, I really enjoyed how big the arena was, but I feel like luck had a little to do with the victory, he flurried a bunch making back hits fairly easy.

Mergo wasn’t difficult but looked sick, and Laurence was just a better Cleric Beast, who was already a great introduction to the game. There’s a big downslide in quality here for me, I didn’t particularly enjoy any of the other fights, Rom had an interesting environment but I didn’t like the flow of the fight. I was way over leveled for Moon Presence and just ran through it, Gehrman was the far better fight. Shadows were boring and you kind of just have to know your spacing, Micolash was annoying and A Call Beyond spam was awful, Celestial Emissary was barely even a boss fight and the witches were different in concept, but fell flat in execution. Living Failures were such a nothing boss and its unfortunate they were sandwiched between the two best DLC bosses. I literally can’t think of a single thing to say about The One Reborn.

Best Area: Cainhurst
I tackled this as I was getting a little burned out on Yarnham. Hemwick- Forbidden Forest- Byrgenworth I thought was the weakest part of the game pacing wise, but Cainhurst brought it all back. It’s such a weird experience with ghosts and gargoyles that it almost feels like a different game. I love the idea of scaling the castle and it all ends with a fantastic boss fight, it’s also the first area where you consistently get blood chunks so that was very exciting. Loved the dynamic between the blow darts giving you the brand and the ghosts becoming more aggressive, it also has great outfits and weapons to find.

Worst Area: Forbidden Woods

I hated this damn place, I hate snakes, I hate woods and I hate being lost. I didn’t like how the first half reused enemies I had been fighting forever, I was expecting something different, which I eventually got with the snakes but the first half of this area really takes the wind out of your sales. Also ends with a disappointing boss, but seeing the Shadows of Yarnham walk out of the fog was a cool moment, and the first elevator shortcut may have been the biggest sigh of relief I’ve ever released during a game.

Other Worst Area: Party Cave

Weapons

During the first part of the game I used the hunters axe and abused the R2 spin to win technique, I eventually eased into Ludwig’s Holy Blade and enjoyed the flexibility it gave. Combat was fantastic and the best approach for each enemy became ingrained in my brain, it felt very cool. I wish there was an easier way to farm chunks, I would have switched up my weapon a lot more if I could upgrade them further, especially the awesome DLC weapons, I did get a Moonlight Holy Sword to +10 and used that to beat Kos, Laurence and Moon Presence. The Logarius Wheel, Chikage and Boom Hammer really interest me and I wish I spent more time with them.

I’ll probably do some chalice dungeons and mess around in NG +, it’s been a great experience.

This was the first Souls game I’ve completed

That was a lot of fun to read. I agree with a lot of your opinions on the game and bosses/areas.

For whatever reason I enjoyed Hemwick quite a bit. More than Cainhurst even. Something about it unsettled me. The boss was a bit of a letdown, creepy as she was.

My least favorite area by far is the Nightmare Frontier. Anything that tosses frenzy and poison at you, as well as 1-shot boulders doesn't seem very fun to me. It was the only area of the game that didn't really feel "fair" even thought I churned through it rather quickly.

That was a lot of fun to read. I agree with a lot of your opinions on the game and bosses/areas.

For whatever reason I enjoyed Hemwick quite a bit. More than Cainhurst even. Something about it unsettled me. The boss was a bit of a letdown, creepy as she was.

My least favorite area by far is the Nightmare Frontier. Anything that tosses frenzy and poison at you, as well as 1-shot boulders doesn't seem very fun to me. It was the only area of the game that didn't really feel "fair" even thought I churned through it rather quickly.

The areas with bell ringing ladies right off the bat really stressed me out, but not as much as the woods. One thing I did like about the Hemwick boss was the atmosphere, it sounded appropriately witchy and creepy, different from every other piece in the game and perfect for the area. Hemwick itself is great, too, I liked walking over the hill and seeing the women dancing in the graveyard, it one of the more striking images in the game. Living Failures, are also a bad boss with a great, unique theme, it gives off a B-Horror movie vibe to me.

dekjo

Hey all - going though my first playthrough of Bloodborne and currently in the back half of the forbidden forest (where the big pigs are) and want to be able to summon my brother into my game, but for some reason it isn't working for us. We both have the same password set and can use our bells, but they just keep ringing and searching to no avail.

I'm sure this is a common question and apologize if its like have been answered a million times in these threads, and I can read through the thread to try to find this info, just wanted to avoid spoilers if possible.

I've played the other Souls games and understood those rule systems for joining other people's games, but I haven't been able to penetrate Bloodborne's system.

Is there a level limit? Can he not join my game because he beat the boss in that area? Do we need to be doing something with our network settings beyond setting the same password?

Appreciate any help!

Hey all - going though my first playthrough of Bloodborne and currently in the back half of the forbidden forest (where the big pigs are) and want to be able to summon my brother into my game, but for some reason it isn't working for us. We both have the same password set and can use our bells, but they just keep ringing and searching to no avail.

I'm sure this is a common question and apologize if its like have been answered a million times in these threads, and I can read through the thread to try to find this info, just wanted to avoid spoilers if possible.

I've played the other Souls games and understood those rule systems for joining other people's games, but I haven't been able to penetrate Bloodborne's system.

Is there a level limit? Can he not join my game because he beat the boss in that area? Do we need to be doing something with our network settings beyond setting the same password?

Appreciate any help!
Try setting the region to worldwide maybe?

I can double check that, but pretty certain I have it set to worldwide. I can make sure he double checks that on his end too.

Not sure then, it sounds like what I do to play with my friend. I suppose you could be 100% sure that you both have the same password? :\

dekjo

Not sure then, it sounds like what I do to play with my friend. I suppose you could be 100% sure that you both have the same password? :\

Yeah, we'll do that. Did some reading - looks like there isn't any level limit (it launched with one, but that was removed with a patch), so that shouldn't be it. But did see this on fextralife:

If you have entered the game from Rest Mode on the PS4 you may need to restart the game before co-op will work. Restarting the game forces a new connection with the servers which may help eliminate issues when joining co-op games.

It'd be pretty amusing if that was the issue. Also saw that oaths can be causing issues. I haven't taken one, but not sure if my brother has. So I'll have to check on that, too.

Yeah, we'll do that. Did some reading - looks like there isn't any level limit (it launched with one, but that was removed with a patch), so that shouldn't be it. But did see this on fextralife:

It'd be pretty amusing if that was the issue. Also saw that oaths can be causing issues. I haven't taken one, but not sure if my brother has. So I'll have to check on that, too.

Try to move around the summon area, if the calling takes more than 2 min, reset the calling with the silencer pistol and try it again

Arondight

Finally managed to platinum this game. The subsequent runs were so much quicker probably 5-6 hours. NG++ didn't feel any more difficult surprisingly enough. Out of 52 games I've got, this is the only game where I've got higher than 50% in trophies.Spent a total of 110 hours to get it, 25% of it was spent in Central Yharnam dying and unable to beat the boss so getting the final trophy feels so satisfying.

Appreciate any help!

Ummmm, I'm going to suggest something really obvious as if I was a customer service agent, so don't feel insulted, OK? Are you guys using the right bells? As in, one of you is ringing the Beckoning Bell and the other one is using the Small Resonant Bell, right?

This was the first Souls game I’ve completed

Amazing writeup, I agree with most of its points actually. I see you mention you put 10 hours into Dark Souls and weren't feeling it, could I persuade you to try again now that you have BB under your belt? In my opinion the world, scope and variety of Dark Souls is utterly unmatched and makes it entirely unforgettable.

Tarkus

After sitting on the game for 3 months and being on blackout since its release, I'm finally going to start. Any starting class advice or is it like DS and it doesn't really matter?

After sitting on the game for 3 months and being on blackout since its release, I'm finally going to start. Any starting class advice or is it like DS and it doesn't really matter?

The starting option doesnt matter so much, maybe for arcane since the early stat doesnt help you that much as Skill or Str

Can someone explain the chalice dungeon deal for me? I've passed the first two regular ones. But I have don't have enough resources for the third chalice. Also what our root chalices?
What happens if I remove chalices do I get the resources back? Why would I remove them if I don't? Also does co-op work in them or not I can't really figure it out.
My first impression of the chalice deal is, it seems rather pointless and not as engaging and fun that's the main story. Does it get better? Otherwise it would be quite a let down after such an awesome game.

The best thing about bloodborne as the whole is the level design, it's just fantastic very intricate and well thought out.

Amazing writeup, I agree with most of its points actually. I see you mention you put 10 hours into Dark Souls and weren't feeling it, could I persuade you to try again now that you have BB under your belt? In my opinion the world, scope and variety of Dark Souls is utterly unmatched and makes it entirely unforgettable.

I actually have Demon Souls on my radar next, after looking into them, that's the one that interests me the most. If I dig that, I'll probably try jumping into Dark Souls again, thanks for the advice!

Ferr986

Can someone explain the chalice dungeon deal for me? I've passed the first two regular ones. But I have don't have enough resources for the third chalice. Also what our root chalices?
What happens if I remove chalices do I get the resources back? Why would I remove them if I don't? Also does co-op work in them or not I can't really figure it out.
My first impression of the chalice deal is, it seems rather pointless and not as engaging and fun that's the main story. Does it get better? Otherwise it would be quite a let down after such an awesome game.

The best thing about bloodborne as the whole is the level design, it's just fantastic very intricate and well thought out.

Root chalices are randomized dungeons, every time you make one it will have a different level design and bosses. The non root chalices are always the same.

You don't get resources back when you remove a chalice but you can create a new one for free, so you can hop back in and farm. Basically you need to use materials once per chalice.

For coop you have to buy the short ritual at the insight shop, and then use the first tomb to enter to another dungeon as a summon, or just ring the bell if you want to summon soneone.

The only worthwhile Chalices are the Depth 5 ones, so it's a grind until then. If you like a challenge, then you may like the Depth 5 variants. They also have the best gems for your weapons, and the regular weapons with different gems slots (Uncanny and Lost) for mix-maxing if you like that.

I really need help with Micolash. I'm literally on my 15th attempt. Any one care to help?

Sure, gimme a min and I'll ring. Any pass?

DeaDPo0L84

no, you should have it on worldwide, but seems like something is going on with PSN. It's randomly kicking me out and for what I'm seeing on Reddit I'm not the only one :/

That would explain why earlier people would randomly get returned to their own world halfway through the fight. At first I was like "well that guy was a dick",but now it makes sense. Ughhh I just need this stupid ritual material called "living string" so I can beat yharnam queen and get the platinum for this game.

Ferr986

That would explain why earlier people would randomly get returned to their own world halfway through the fight. At first I was like "well that guy was a dick",but now it makes sense. Ughhh I just need this stupid ritual material called "living string" so I can beat yharnam queen and get the platinum for this game.

I reeboted everything (console and router). Let's try one more time if you want to.

dekjo

Ummmm, I'm going to suggest something really obvious as if I was a customer service agent, so don't feel insulted, OK? Are you guys using the right bells? As in, one of you is ringing the Beckoning Bell and the other one is using the Small Resonant Bell, right?

I think it's good to be thorough, so not insulted at all. Can't assume anything. I'm pretty sure, but will double check next time we try to co-op.

jb1234

After banging my head about 30 times against Orphan of Kos (and like ten times against Laurence), I think it's time to move on and finally finish Bloodborne. Just not having fun anymore. These bosses remind me of the things I hated about the DS2 DLC bosses. Way too much HP, way too overpowered.

platinum get!

Obtaining the last trophy from the chalice dungeons was rough from a replay standpoint, but I pushed through. The amount of echoes you get from some of the enemies in depth 5 dungeons is just insane.

I hate those psychos or whatever they are called, could never quite time them right.

Joei

So I'm at the end of the game, just have to fight the last boss, but I've been doing the Chalices and holy crap some of these later bosses are ridiculous. The Watchdog in the Defiled Pt. one was hard as crap! Now, I'm currently stuck on Amygdala. The fact those bosses can one hit you cause of the HP penalty drives me nuts. Watchdog took me forever to beat, and I just can't get past Amygdala now, though I may have just been burnt out the other night. I think I'm going to buy the DLC and run through that before trying to finish him and the Chalices. Oh, and the blood echoes you get from these is crazy. I ran through the one with Amygdala and got almost 250k, though part of that was dying halfway through and getting my echoes back. And I haven't even touched the depth 5 ones yet.

On a sidenote, the naked rolling baby's... argggh... the one in Amygdalas chalice one-shot me a few times, lol. So annoying.

jb1234

While I needed to summon to beat Kos, I'm absolutely astonished that I just managed to beat Laurence by myself. I think I got really, really lucky.

Top Bottom