• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Do the chalice monsters/bosses scale up if I were to start a NG+ or does their strength and level stay constant?
I get to keep everything (including all the activated chalices) if I start over right? Not that I have to get to a certain point in order to continue with my chalices. I just feel like I need a change of scenery from the chalices again for a day or two.
Remain constant.

edit: This might be the best and worst waste of money, but my Bloodborne 1/6 - Puddle of Blood figure has been paid
hIE1438312941.jpeg
Cant wait :D

Raptor

Thats awesome man!!

I cleared the first chalice dungeon three layers, there aint no more after the fire dog god damn lol.

I was extremely OP for everything there, a boss got killed by a R2 charged attack with my +9 pizza cutter lol.

Question, I need a blood rock to my last upgrade any way to find this?

Where is a good spot for echoes farming? I feel I have my weapon high enough but my char is not that high, feel I should be in the 70s but Im on the highest 50s.

I killed the dude in a chair before Rom (lols) and gave me an eye rune, is it worth it to using it?

I have lots of stuff that I have found that I dont know what are they for like a third umbilical chord (Im not proud of what I did to get this)

Any word on chikage or blades of mercy? whats better?

xinek

I'm going through the DLC right now on my BoM +9 character in NG (second character, I got the plat on my first character). Fighting
Ludwig
with the BoM was just... yeah. A very nice hunter co-oped with me using the
pizza cutter
, and he was dealing MAJOR damage compared to me. So, I feel like I'm a bit under leveled. Skill, vitality, and endurance are all high 20s, and I'm not sure what stat to increase from here. I was thinking arcane, since it would help with BoM damage. Strength is only at 9, so maybe that? I've been using the cane as secondary weapon, but something more strength-based might make life easier. Thoughts?

I'm at
Nightmare of Mensis
in the main game, so I'm thinking I may go complete that and get the materials to fully upgrade my Blade.

(are we still spoilering main game stuff in this thread?)

-Horizon-

Thats awesome man!!

I cleared the first chalice dungeon three layers, there aint no more after the fire dog god damn lol.

I was extremely OP for everything there, a boss got killed by a R2 charged attack with my +9 pizza cutter lol.

Where is a good spot for echoes farming? I feel I have my weapon high enough but my char is not that high, feel I should be in the 70s but Im on the highest 50s.

I killed the dude in a chair before Rom (lols) and gave me an eye rune, is it worth it to using it?

I have lots of stuff that I have found that I dont know what are they for like a third umbilical chord (Im not proud of what I did to get this)

Blood rock can be found in the nightmare of mensis area. It requires
taking one of those cage elevators outside of micolash's lamp and jumping through a hole in the wall as its going down. If you see a lot of winter lanterns after doing that, you're on the right path.
I heard there's also one in the DLC (though I haven't played it) and that you can find some in root chalices but I haven't tried it. You can also buy it from the messengers if you have 60 insight or something lol.

My favorite spot for farming blood echoes is the same area I mentioned above. You just don't take the elevator and instead progress forward normally. There are some shadows of yharnam and giant pig enemies and just drop a ton of echoes.

No idea about the eye rune. Never used it.

3rd umbilical cord. Well, its part of the end game. You'll get certain endings depending on whether you use it or not.
you also HAVE to use it before entering the last boss to get a certain ending...and you need to use at least 3 of them. There are 4 in the game. One is missable but you only need 3 to get one of the endings. There are 3 endings to the game.

Kazdane

So, I'm currently level 60 and I've just killed
Rom
. Overall I'm having a lot of fun, but to be honest some of the monsters in certain areas have given me more trouble than the bosses (maybe because I'm just overly cautious?):
The Witch of Hermwick and Rom went down on my first try, and The Shadow of Yharnam took me three

Should I expect a sudden difficulty spike from here onwards?
Once the curse has been lifted, whatever that meant
, the only noticeable change I've seen is that now I can see these
massive giant beasts that seem to be responsible for the invisble portals[/spolier] but not much else...

I'm going through the DLC right now on my BoM +9 character in NG (second character, I got the plat on my first character). Fighting
Ludwig
with the BoM was just... yeah. A very nice hunter co-oped with me using the
pizza cutter
, and he was dealing MAJOR damage compared to me. So, I feel like I'm a bit under leveled. Skill, vitality, and endurance are all high 20s, and I'm not sure what stat to increase from here. I was thinking arcane, since it would help with BoM damage. Strength is only at 9, so maybe that? I've been using the cane as secondary weapon, but something more strength-based might make life easier. Thoughts?

I'm at
Nightmare of Mensis
in the main game, so I'm thinking I may go complete that and get the materials to fully upgrade my Blade.

(are we still spoilering main game stuff in this thread?)
If you're running around with the Blades of Mercy don't even bother with strength, Arcane helps...a little like one thing per four points put into it, but that's not much. Just pump the points into skill since it's a skill weapon primarily. You really don't need anything strength based to beat the game, I've beaten the game several times with skill based characters and shifting your stats to strength will effect the damage output of your character. You could go for a quality build with stats based around both skill and strength and that works fine, you'd just need to use Ludwig's Holy Blade cause that weapon gets an insane boost from both stats.
Thats awesome man!!

The Chikage is a fun weapon. Definitely try for it next character cause with your current build it's a no go.

-Horizon-

So, I'm currently level 60 and I've just killed
Rom
. Overall I'm having a lot of fun, but to be honest some of the monsters in certain areas have given me more trouble than the bosses (maybe because I'm just overly cautious?):
The Witch of Hermwick and Rom went down on my first try, and The Shadow of Yharnam took me three

Should I expect a sudden difficulty spike from here onwards?
Once the curse has been lifted, whatever that meant
, the only noticeable change I've seen is that now I can see these
massive giant beasts that seem to be responsible for the invisble portals[/spolier] but not much else...
The new area you go to after beating
Rom, called yhargul or whatever
is a bit headache inducing on a first play through but its manageable. The main bosses after Rom aren't that hard though. Now, if we were talking about optional bosses, now some of those are hard as heck lol.

-Horizon-

Next up, Watch Dog of the Old Lords damn
one hit kill
in the defiled chalice dungeons...

Charred hunter outfit I think it was called, I forget if I used a rune or not, and I just continually baited its chomp attack by staying medium close to it and kept whacking its head with ludwig's sword till it got staggered. Slow process but thats how I avoided it's one hit KO tackle attack.

xinek

If you're running around with the Blades of Mercy don't even bother with strength, Arcane helps...a little like one thing per four points put into it, but that's not much. Just pump the points into skill since it's a skill weapon primarily. You really don't need anything strength based to beat the game, I've beaten the game several times with skill based characters and shifting your stats to strength will effect the damage output of your character. You could go for a quality build with stats based around both skill and strength and that works fine, you'd just need to use Ludwig's Holy Blade cause that weapon gets an insane boost from both stats.
I figured as much, but the damage increase from increasing skill looks so small at this point! The BoM is such a fun weapon, though, and I'm having a blast using it.

Charred hunter outfit I think it was called, I forget if I used a rune or not, and I just continually baited its chomp attack by staying medium close to it and kept whacking its head with ludwig's sword till it got staggered. Slow process but thats how I avoided it's one hit KO tackle attack.

Coop got me through in the end. 8D
I cannot help but feel the coop is somewhat cheesing. But Bloodborne has not changed my opinion that boss battles are the worst...

What I really really love about Bloodborne is the fact that there is no voice chat in coop and due to the curtsy greeting animations every encounter with a stranger feels super courteous, formal and grown up.
The odd ball who uses the roar as greeting is quite the exception.

I figured as much, but the damage increase from increasing skill looks so small at this point! The BoM is such a fun weapon, though, and I'm having a blast using it.
What level do you have it at? Topped out the scaling is S. You also have to take into account that it also hits pretty fast so that adds up really well if you can get a good combo in.

one hit kill

Use all the physical defense you can wear, his fire attacks are not strong enough to kill you but his charge attack is all physical.

The boss will use that move each time he enter a new phase so like 3 or 4, wait for his swipes and poke him.

This is me using the cane against that boss.

What I really really love about Bloodborne is the fact that there is no voice chat in coop and due to the curtsy greeting animations every encounter with a stranger feels super courteous, formal and grown up.

The unspoken rule of coop, amazing experience huh?

grmlin

According to the guide, level ~80 and a +9 weapon. However I played it as a level ~60. Finish the DLC as a level ~85.

Thanks! I'll play a little more of the story and maybe some dungeons before I try it again.

I killed one of these hunters in the dlc area after some heavy fighting at the beginning and thought, wow, got the hunter on the first try, only to realize, that these are the normal enemies there... lol

-Horizon-

Coop got me through in the end. 8D
I cannot help but feel the coop is somewhat cheesing. But Bloodborne has not changed my opinion that boss battles are the worst...

I'm glad it worked out for you :)
Nothing wrong with co-op, its a part of the game and Souls series in general. With the crap they throw at you, its fine to use whatever tools they make available.

Raptor

The Chikage is a fun weapon. Definitely try for it next character cause with your current build it's a no go.

Do I really have to start over?

What if I keep going and start to put points into bloodtinge? is it viable?

I dont want to start over lol, I want to keep going to game ++++++ whatever.

I think only the crazies run around in NG+++++++++ and what not. I have four different characters and with each character I do my best to figure out what the hell I want them to specialize in. I honestly think with what you're aiming for you really start getting diminishing returns. And the Chikage is a skill and bloodtinge weapon you pretty much have to have a good amount of both for that weapon to really start kicking ass, 50 bloodtinge is almost mandatory with at least 25 skill.

Raptor

I think only the crazies run around in NG+++++++++ and what not. I have four different characters and with each character I do my best to figure out what the hell I want them to specialize in. I honestly think with what you're aiming for you really start getting diminishing returns. And the Chikage is a skill and bloodtinge weapon you pretty much have to have a good amount of both for that weapon to really start kicking ass, 50 bloodtinge is almost mandatory with at least 25 skill.

Alright then, will start over after I finish this, can I have 2 characters?

I mean making different saves?

one hit kill

I had good luck by charging up an R2 when the dog does his sideways bite thing. It's predictable and after he misses the attack he brings his head back to the middle, which you can hit with the charge attack.

For his one hit charge thing, I would unlock and then roll to one side. I dunno if you can do it with a locked-on dodge or not.

I think it tops out at 8 or something save files. It's definitely going to be a smoother experience for your second character though you do have to go through Cainhurst pretty early, it's not too bad though. I did skill/bloodtinge for that character and used the Cane and Reiterpallasch till I got the Chikage.

Ferr986

You can have lots of different characters (dunno if there's a top).

Chikage in a Bloodtinge buils is beastly in PvE, and fun to use cause you have to be more active with it due to the health drain damage while in transformed mode. Also, with the DLC you can have the Bowblade as a secondary weapon, it does nice damage as a bow (the sword is skill based, but the strong point about that weapon is the bow anyways).

Yes. The damage is always shit on the legs, but it's supposed to be safe damage for the defiled version during the third phase. That's the only boss I can't solo.

There's actually a good strat for defiled amyg. If you stay behind her she will jump (you may have to hit her once to encourage her). Don't move when she jumps, just charge an R2. She will land with her head right behind you (and won't land on you), so you can hit her with the charged R2 for good damage. Then roll between her legs and get behind her again, give her a swipe to make her jump and repeat until dead.

Raptor

I think it tops out at 8 or something save files. It's definitely going to be a smoother experience for your second character though you do have to go through Cainhurst pretty early, it's not too bad though. I did skill/bloodtinge for that character and used the Cane and Reiterpallasch till I got the Chikage.

You can have lots of different characters (dunno if there's a top).

Chikage in a Bloodtinge buils is beastly in PvE, and fun to use cause you have to be more active with it due to the health drain damage while in transformed mode. Also, with the DLC you can have the Bowblade as a secondary weapon, it does nice damage as a bow (the sword is skill based, but the strong point about that weapon is the bow anyways).

Very well then, that HP drainage will be something to worry about lol.

Joei

Yes. The damage is always shit on the legs, but it's supposed to be safe damage for the defiled version during the third phase. That's the only boss I can't solo.

I solo'd defiled Amy last night, that crap took hours to do. I ended up forgoing the leg strategy, keeping my distance, and L2ing its head with Ludwig. The last faze kept giving me trouble till I realized it was jumping forward so I had to roll to the back. The problem with the fight was the limited HP and trying to learn its patterns.

Actually not really. Best thing to do is rush in with the transformed R1 attack which deals good damage, maybe two more attacks and put the sword back into skill mode it's not really that bad.
I solo'd defiled Amy last night, that crap took hours to do. I ended up forgoing the leg strategy, keeping my distance, and L2ing its head with Ludwig. The last faze kept giving me trouble till I realized it was jumping forward so I had to roll to the back. The problem with the fight was the limited HP and trying to learn tits patterns.
Amy is the boss I've fought the least, it's not my best boss in it's Defiled state. The rest I can solo. I'm not going to say without problems, but they're manageable.

Joei

Amy is the boss I've fought the least, it's not my best boss in it's Defiled state. The rest I can solo. I'm not going to say without problems, but they're manageable.

I'm not knocking you for not soloing it, but it's my only option since I don't have PS+. I'd rather have saved all that time I wasted fighting it by myself with some help last night.

I'm not knocking you for not soloing it, but it's my only option since I don't have PS+. I'd rather have saved all that time I wasted fighting it by myself with some help last night.
My main gripe with him is the third phase. I can get him to the third phase decently enough but then when that fucker gets all that range and it becomes a patience battle I usually just fuck up at some point. I wasn't taking it as a knock or anything so don't worry about it.

Ferr986

As JadedWinter said, you want to do the seathe animation (while transforming the weapon onto blood mode, do a R1 attack, it will do a quick sheathe attack that deals more damage than a regular R1 swing) and then do your R1 spamage. then untrick the weapon to skill mode when you go to the next enemy or you need to recover stamina (also with the sheathe attack, it's a must for starting your R1 attacks).

As long as you stay active about transform/unstransform you will barely notice the HP drain.

My main gripe with him is the third phase. I can get him to the third phase decently enough but then when that fucker gets all that range and it becomes a patience battle I usually just fuck up at some point. I wasn't taking it as a knock or anything so don't worry about it.

Wasn't it the safest phase? You can stay in her legs and attack there, she will jump away from you, rinse and repeat. You deal shit damage but it's ultra safe. (unless it was patched?)

Joei

That's he phase that kept me giving me the most trouble as well. Again, it wasn't till I realized he was jumping forward and all I as to do was roll towards his back that I was able to pull it off. He landed on me so many times one-shotting me it was surreal. I havent been that frustrated with a boss fight in a long, long time.

Third phase is so cheap, you have to cheap the encounter to not die with one single hit.

Wasn't it the safest phase? You can stay in her legs and attack there, she will jump away from you, rinse and repeat. You deal shit damage but it's ultra safe. (unless it was patched?)
I have like no patience. I usually just hit a "just die already" point and just get clumsy with rushing it. Oddly enough I can fight Defiled Watchdog for amost ten minutes, but fucking Defiled Amy is just a pain in the ass for me. I think I can read the watchdog better and counter him better.

ch4fx_

DISCLAIMER - first "souls" game, so my terminology/understanding of things may be absolute garbage. Please understand.

I hear of diminishing returns once you level a skill up so far, can anyone elaborate? I'm in my 2nd playground at level 115(ish) & my VIT/END/STR/SKL are each around 37, while BLO/ARG are at 8. I mainly use the Saw Cleaver (+10) & occasionally the Blade of Mercy (+8). At what point do I need to stop leveling those 4 stats? At any point will it necessarily hurt me to increase in level?

I plan on picking up the DLC this weekend & the first thing I will do is suicide run to the Whirligig Saw. What stats does this scale with? Will I be able to use it with the character I already have, or will I need to start a new one & level up my skills differently? Hoping my current character isn't a lost cause at this point. He & I went through ALOT figuring this game out, so I'd like to continue using him as long as possible.

Thanks for any replies, they are much appreciated.

Raptor

Actually not really. Best thing to do is rush in with the transformed R1 attack which deals good damage, maybe two more attacks and put the sword back into skill mode it's not really that bad.
Thats good to know :)
As JadedWinter said, you want to do the seathe animation (while transforming the weapon onto blood mode, do a R1 attack, it will do a quick sheathe attack that deals more damage than a regular R1 swing) and then do your R1 spamage. then untrick the weapon to skill mode when you go to the next enemy or you need to recover stamina (also with the sheathe attack, it's a must for starting your R1 attacks).

As long as you stay active about transform/unstransform you will barely notice the HP drain.
Will keep this in mind for when I make the character, but hell Im curious as hell might aswell start now and leave my current char on hold lol.

DISCLAIMER - first "souls" game, so my terminology/understanding of things may be absolute garbage. Please understand.

I hear of diminishing returns once you level a skill up so far, can anyone elaborate? I'm in my 2nd playground at level 115(ish) & my VIT/END/STR/SKL are each around 37, while BLO/ARG are at 8. I mainly use the Saw Cleaver (+10) & occasionally the Blade of Mercy (+8). At what point do I need to stop leveling those 4 stats? At any point will it necessarily hurt me to increase in level?

I plan on picking up the DLC this weekend & the first thing I will do is suicide run to the Whirligig Saw. What stats does this scale with? Will I be able to use it with the character I already have, or will I need to start a new one & level up my skills differently? Hoping my current character isn't a lost cause at this point. He & I went through ALOT figuring this game out, so I'd like to continue using him as long as possible.

Pizza Cutter scales with strength mostly, but it also get an improvement from skill do not ask me how. I'm using on my quality build and the attack numbers also increase when I level up skill so I'm just rolling with it.

Your character is fine. I believe the caps are 50/40/50/50 for Vit/End/Str/Skill. Whirligig is apparently mostly strength, so if I were you I would leave skill for now and focus on the other stats. More info about the scaling here: http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Whirligig+Saw

The stats caps in 50, beyond that you can get more stats but not as great as the first 50 points in the said stat.

The Pizza cutter scales better with STR, raise it to 50 to get the most optimal stats, still you need to invest in physical blood gems as much as you can and get the elemental buffs with the papers. saying this, the cutter is extremelly eficient against beast and have a instante stun effect as much as you can hold L2 which requires you to invest a good bunch of points on endurance

I think it's time I used a new weapon aside the hunter axe which is at max level.
Recommendations?
I want lots of damage with little delay.

Ludwig Holy Blade (R1 and L2)
Saw Cleaver
Kirk Hammer
Boom Hammer (arcane)

It is but each successive point will be more expensive, and there is a hard cap at 250 or 255 I believe for total level (and hence total stat points). I wholeheartedly recommend starting a character from scratch and conserving your old one, it's actually more fun and easier, and in the end you'll have two (or however many) characters to switch back and from when you get bored of a particular stype.

No reason you can't do both! I have a character in NG+ and another two in NG, one at endgame. Successive plays, both NG+and new characters, are so much faster thanks to prior knowledge.

Raptor

I love the thing, I don't even parry that much using it. I just keep it two handed dodge through the attack and just smash away at the enemy with it.

I do the same thing and now I have like 200 bullets in storage lol.

The "ssschhrrrss" sound lol, it makes when attacking is so great.

Sometimes I press L2 and leave it pressed lol.

Soulhouf

I disagree, you don't need 25 skill for a Chikage build. Bloodtinge is all you need.

I have 6 characters, 6 different builds and my pure bloodtinge character is by far the most powerful one. I have a Lost Chicage with over 700 AR. Considering its speed, nothing comes close to that.
My character is lv100. 50 BT, 15 SKL (for Simon's Bowblade), 14 STR (for the Bloodletter), 50 VIT and the rest in END.

Chikage is a fun weapon. Nothing beats approaching your opponent, switch to the bloody form, make a slash and switch back to one hand. It's so powerful and looks badass. So satisfying.

Raptor

I disagree, you don't need 25 skill for a Chikage build. Bloodtinge is all you need.

I have 6 characters, 6 different builds and my pure bloodtinge character is by far the most powerful one. I have a Lost Chicage with over 700 AR. Considering its speed, nothing comes close to that.
My character is lv100. 50 BT, 15 SKL (for Simon's Bowblade), 14 STR (for the Bloodletter), 50 VIT and the rest in END.

Chikage is a fun weapon. Nothing beats approaching your opponent, switch to the bloody form, make a slash and switch back to one hand. It's so powerful and looks badass. So satisfying.

Will bookmark this if you dont mind for my character :p

"Hiten Mitsurugi style, die Yharnam scum." I love that weapon. I just put points into skill cause it's not always the only weapon I use. I also use a threaded cane on my skill/bloodtinge character so that's just me...as well as the Reiterpallasch. I really need to hit the dlc with that character so more. I beat Ludwig and just stopped and used some different characters. I need to get the bowblade on that character.
I do the same thing and now I have like 200 bullets in storage lol.

The "ssschhrrrss" sound lol, it makes when attacking is so great.

Sometimes I press L2 and leave it pressed lol.
It has my favorite R2 charge attack. I also like that dash attack where you run at the enemy with the pizza cutter whirring.

Minamu

It is but each successive point will be more expensive, and there is a hard cap at 250 or 255 I believe for total level (and hence total stat points). I wholeheartedly recommend starting a character from scratch and conserving your old one, it's actually more fun and easier, and in the end you'll have two (or however many) characters to switch back and from when you get bored of a particular stype.

No reason you can't do both! I have a character in NG+ and another two in NG, one at endgame. Successive plays, both NG+and new characters, are so much faster thanks to prior knowledge.
I'm exactly lvl 255 and there's no cap as far as I can tell. The cap has always been wherever 99 of all stats are at. So 700ish, unless Bloodborne goes against all previous games.

I'm exactly lvl 255 and there's no cap as far as I can tell. The cap has always been wherever 99 of all stats are at. So 700ish, unless Bloodborne goes against all previous games.

What, really? I had no clue! I have never levelled up above 150 in any Souls game, I thought I had read 255 was the cap. Great to know otherwise, thanks!

The truest statement in all of Bloodborne. The moment I discovered that you can slash directly from the middle of the regular transformation animation, and moreover, the resulting slash does ridiculous damage, was the moment it turned into my overall favorite.

I'm rocking the Bloodletter with my Bloodtinge character and it's frankly quite fun as well, but it loses a lot of the dynamism because it's the very opposite, you want to leave it transformed all the time and never switch back (which also means you want to switch weapons as little as possible).

Top Bottom