• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Good lord, the weapon need at least 10str, 14skll and 12bt

Which requires all your devotion in BT to 45 to 50. You can use skll weapons (or the huner Axe) in the meantime and you are right, vit and endurance might be the best stats you can invest while you are rushing to cainhurst

Veelk

Banned
Beat bloodstarved beast on the second attempt. Kinda disappointing given the other guy framed it as a spiritual awakening.

Beat bloodstarved beast on the second attempt. Kinda disappointing given the other guy framed it as a spiritual awakening.
You fought that thing after Amelia, not before. I usually fight it after Gascoigne so you were a bit OP for that thing, but yes there are way harder bosses in there. Gloat after beating all of the chalice bosses.

myco666

Nice one, man. I can get a few parrys off in the first phase but I wouldn't say I was "confident". I'll see if I can't nail the backstabs, they seem to do a ton of damage.

That video though... I'd've spammed the living shit out of the triangle button. Guy shows serious restraint.

First time it was same for me haha. Spent over 2 hours on it and burned through so many vials. Even when doing the run for that video I had to retry bunch of times since I was originally going for no damage run.

Also since you are going with BT build you could also just try deal damage by shooting. There are lot of openings for it. I don't remember if it has blood resistance though.

Raptor

Good lord, the weapon need at least 10str, 14skll and 12bt

Which requires all your devotion in BT to 45 to 50. You can use skll weapons (or the huner Axe) in the meantime and you are right, vit and endurance might be the best stats you can invest while you are rushing to cainhurst

Alright!!

:D

Veelk

Banned
Nice job. What level are you?

49. Apparently I was overpowered for it.

I have been mainly leveling my skill set (29) and have been also leveling my vitality and endurance (both 21).

Should I be leveling anything else? I've noticed there is almost no point in using my R2 attack since R1 is much stronger and will do the roughly the same damage in 2 quick hits. Should I be leveling up my strength at all (it's at 14)? Or should I level up my bloodtinge to make my gun more useful (8)? My arcane is the lowest (6) and I have no idea what it's for.

I have been mainly leveling my skill set (29) and have been also leveling my vitality and endurance (both 21).

Should I be leveling anything else? I've noticed there is almost no point in using my R2 attack since R1 is much stronger and will do the roughly the same damage in 2 quick hits. Should I be leveling up my strength at all (it's at 14)? Or should I level up my bloodtinge to make my gun more useful (8)? My arcane is the lowest (6) and I have no idea what it's for.

What weapon are you using again?

Veelk

Banned
If you still want to use the Reiterpallasch at some point you're going to need to level up bloodtinge to I think at least 10.

Yeah, even with some of the cool DLC weapons I'm eyeballing (especially Simon's bowblade), I think it's the most appropriate weapon to this setting.

Amelia which is the hardest boss of the sunset phase is around 32, so yep you were like 17 leves above the poor dude.

Skill damage comes from R1, try to invest now in BT since you are leveling pretty fast , arcane serves for a stat damage in small pool of weapons and increases your discovery rate.

If you are not planning to use spells, tronitus, boom hammer or the monnlight sword then dont invest points in that stat

Are there only a limited amount of Blood Stone Shards in the game? I seem to only get them from environmental pick-ups. So far, I've been using them on the Saw Cleaver. I'd like to try a different weapon, but I'm afraid of nulling all the progress I put into my original weapon if Blood Stone Shards are limited items.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I'm gonna take a few days long break here. I got through the Robocop Forest to discover Hemwick Lane or whatever, though I didn't complete it. I'm definitely overpowered at this point, as everyone is going down fairly easily. Fine by me. I'm sure the game will pick up in difficulty again soon enough.

I started the Pthumeru dungeon, and got through the first layer and....well, it's a bit boring. The dungeon design isn't really appealing and I'm not sure why I'm down there.

Next time I play, I'll be trekking through the Forbidden woods to find Iofesic's clinic and get the Cainhurst summons and then after that I'll power through the Witch Forest so I can get into the castle, and find my beloved Reiterpallasch. Once I do, my character build will be pretty much complete in terms of the equipment I want and I'll be going through the game truly blind. All that probably won't be til this weekend though, since I have tests on friday I need to get studying for.

Veelk adventures

before I left off, I wanted to get some progress in a the chapel side quest since I hadn't found any survivors in a while to send to Oeden's, so I figured I missed some. Technically, I didn't, but they apparently wanted me to prove myself by killing 3 bosses before they trusted my word. So I send Arianna and the crotchety old man to Oeden's. He was an asshole, but I figure that's understandable in the hostile world of BB, so I'm all understanding and send him to the place I know is safe.

I go to Oeden's to check up on my survivor's. I like Arianna, but was a bit weirded out when she offered me blood. My exact thoughts were "Ah...what....I mean, look lady, I'm happy you don't feel the need to offer me sex, but.....Look, you don't have to....What the hell am I even going to with your blood?...Whatever, if it makes you feel better giving blood, sure" I found out after I read the description that it's a health item, but I was just kinda flummoxed at first.

I also looked around and couldn't find the crotchety old man. So I looked up the info online....

YOU DUMBASS MOTHERFUCKER, YOU WENT TO THE WRONG CLINIC, UGH, YOU GODDAMN IDIOT, I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY, YOU'RE GOING TO BE CTHULHU'S GIMP

Brakke

Banned
Are there only a limited amount of Blood Stone Shards in the game? I seem to only get them from environmental pick-ups. So far, I've been using them on the Saw Cleaver. I'd like to try a different weapon, but I'm afraid of nulling all the progress I put into my original weapon if Blood Stone Shards are limited items.

Some enemies drop them and they show up for sale from the Bath Messengers eventually. Likewise Twin Shards. The real problem is the Chunks, which only ever go up for sale at the Insight shop for like 20 (!) insight each.

Feel free to use Shards as cavalierly as you like. For Twin Shards, be a bit more sparing; treasure your Chunks.

Okay, I'm gonna take a few days long break here. I got through the Robocop Forest to discover Hemwick Lane or whatever, though I didn't complete it. I'm definitely overpowered at this point, as everyone is going down fairly easily. Fine by me. I'm sure the game will pick up in difficulty again soon enough.

I started the Pthumeru dungeon, and got through the first layer and....well, it's a bit boring. The dungeon design isn't really appealing and I'm not sure why I'm down there.

Next time I play, I'll be trekking through the Forbidden woods to find Iofesic's clinic and get the Cainhurst summons and then after that I'll power through the Witch Forest so I can get into the castle, and find my beloved Reiterpallasch. Once I do, my character build will be pretty much complete in terms of the equipment I want and I'll be going through the game truly blind. All that probably won't be til this weekend though, since I have tests on friday I need to get studying for.

Veelk adventures

before I left off, I wanted to get some progress in a the chapel side quest since I hadn't found any survivors in a while to send to Oeden's, so I figured I missed some. Technically, I didn't, but they apparently wanted me to prove myself by killing 3 bosses before they trusted my word. So I send Arianna and the crotchety old man to Oeden's. He was an asshole, but I figure that's understandable in the hostile world of BB, so I'm all understanding and send him to the place I know is safe.

I go to Oeden's to check up on my survivor's. I like Arianna, but was a bit weirded out when she offered me blood. My exact thoughts were "Ah...what....I mean, look lady, I'm happy you don't feel the need to offer me sex, but.....Look, you don't have to....What the hell am I even going to with your blood?...Whatever, if it makes you feel better giving blood, sure" I found out after I read the description that it's a health item, but I was just kinda flummoxed at first.

I also looked around and couldn't find the crotchety old man. So I looked up the info online....

YOU DUMBASS MOTHERFUCKER, YOU WENT TO THE WRONG CLINIC, UGH, YOU GODDAMN IDIOT, I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY, YOU'RE GOING TO BE CTHULHU'S GIMP
That fucking idiot does the opposite of what you tell him. In order to get him to go to Oedon's you have to unlock Iosefka's Clinic as an option and send him there. Just make sure you rescue the crazy old lady and Adella and you'll have the important people. Last time I played I didn't even bother to unlock Iosefka's Clinic and just sent him there intentionally, he doesn't give you anything important any way. There's nothing wrong with the chalice dungeons, there a grind, yeah but I just do them for the blood gems and I like the bosses there. It's always a nice diversion from the main story for me. Eventually they'll catch up to your character difficulty wise any way so enjoy the easiness while you still can.

Veelk adventures

You can buy the DLC if you want a challenge right at your door.

Already have. How do I access it? Is it in the game world itself,or in the title menu?

Also, given my build, does it matter what gun I have?

After defeating amelia, go to oedon ward and go to the left side where the old woman is sitting, let the amygdala grabs you to enter the DLC.

Nope, gun doesnt matter in builds unless you want the Evelyn which scales with BT or going arcane for the flamethrower

Veelk

Banned
After defeating amelia, go to oedon ward and go to the left side where the old woman is sitting, let the amygdala grabs you to enter the DLC.

Nope, gun doesnt matter in builds unless you want the Evelyn which scales with BT or going arcane for the flamethrower
Well, how much BT do I need for Evelyn to be effective? The idea of duel wielding a powerful pistol and Reiterpallasch appeals to me, but only if it's actual effective.

Also, any way to hold more than 20 bullets at a time?

Feels weird someone wants to do a pistol run but yes there is a rune "formless oedon" that allows you to carry more bullets and can stack if you have different tiers of the same rune.

Veelk

Banned
Feels weird someone wants to do a pistol run but yes there is a rune "formless oedon" that allows you to carry more bullets and can stack if you have different tiers of the same rune.

On one hand, I'd have a pistol that shreds shit, and on the other hand I'd have a Rapier that changes into a gun, so I can do a gun-sword combo or guns akimbo at will.

Anyone who doesn't want that is the weird one.

That said, it'd be difficult to make work. I upped the BT to 10, but it says that I need Evelyn at + 21 before it starts being more effective than the Hunter pistol at an identical level.

Since I'm currently level 50, that will be a looooot of blood echoes....

On one hand, I'd have a pistol that shreds shit, and on the other hand I'd have a Rapier that changes into a gun, so I can do a gun-sword combo or guns akimbo at will.

That said, it'd be difficult to make work. I upped the BT to 10, but it says that I need Evelyn at + 21 before it starts being more effective than the Hunter pistol at an identical level.

Evelyn is only really needed for bloodtinge builds. If you're going to invest that much into it you might as well just start contemplating getting the Chikage. And yeah have fun talking big going into the DLC at your current level. I can't wait for the "oh my god fuck HELP AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!" Post.

Ferr986

Well, how much BT do I need for Evelyn to be effective? The idea of duel wielding a powerful pistol and Reiterpallasch appeals to me, but only if it's actual effective.

Also, any way to hold more than 20 bullets at a time?

Just so let you know to have an idea what damage fire weapons do with BT, with my 50 BT build, I do around 300 dmg against the dudes in Central Yarhnam (also, almost 500 with a regular shot and almost 800 with a charged shot of the Bowblade, but you can't dualweild that with a melee weapon).

EDIT: Take almost 100dmg less to the hunters of the DLC, mimus the bow charged shot, that is almost the same.

Soulhouf

Yes! Rom down level 4.
Beast Blood Pellet helped a lot.

Cbc1v4wW8AAXJ-b.jpg:orig

I think I'm going to do Nightmare Frontier next.

You can use the bone dust to make the shots more powerful, amazing if you want a quick visceral on bosses by attacking their heads

Veelk

Banned
You can use the bone dust to make the shots more powerful, amazing if you want a quick visceral on bosses by attacking their heads

I see. Well, in that case, maybe I should stick with my repeater pistol and just upgrade it.

Evelyn is only really needed for bloodtinge builds. If you're going to invest that much into it you might as well just start contemplating getting the Chikage. And yeah have fun talking big going into the DLC at your current level. I can't wait for the "oh my god fuck HELP AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!" Post.

See, the problem with that is that I'm not a practical man. Wielding a Katana in Lovecraft Victorian London just feels off and wrong aesthetically (even if the game justifies it by explaining it comes from a foreign land). I'll incorperate it into one of my playthroughs of the Souls games (either DS1 or 2), but here, it feels like a Rapier is just the more aesthetically appropriate weapon. It's also why I decided to forgo the otherwise awesome Ludwig Blade. I'll have a Guts build in DS, where a giant fuck you sword is more aesthetically appropriate, but in Bloodborne, it didn't seem to fit for me.

I know this mindset is probably going to bite me in the ass at some point since it forgoes practicality, but it's just how I want to play.

Given my current stats, do I have a chance in hell of surviving the DLC, or should I just not bother until I beat the game?

Just so let you know to have an idea what damage fire weapons do with BT, with my 50 BT build, I do around 300 dmg against the dudes in Central Yarhnam (also, almost 500 with a regular shot and almost 800 with a charged shot of the Bowblade, but you can't dualweild that with a melee weapon).

EDIT: Take almost 100dmg less to the hunters of the DLC, mimus the bow charged shot, that is almost the same.

I have a 216 on my attack stat, though I don't know if that's how much damage is done per hit with my cane. I'll have to check next time I play.

I see. Well, in that case, maybe I should stick with my repeater pistol and just upgrade it.

See, the problem with that is that I'm not a practical man. Wielding a Katana in Lovecraft Victorian London just feels off and wrong aesthetically (even if the game justifies it by explaining it comes from a foreign land). I'll incorperate it into one of my playthroughs of the Souls games (either DS1 or 2), but here, it feels like a Rapier is just the more aesthetically appropriate weapon. It's also why I decided to forgo the otherwise awesome Ludwig Blade. I'll have a Guts build in DS, where a giant fuck you sword is more aesthetically appropriate, but in Bloodborne, it didn't seem to fit for me.

I know this mindset is probably going to bite me in the ass at some point since it forgoes practicality, but it's just how I want to play.

Given my current stats, do I have a chance in hell of surviving the DLC, or should I just not bother until I beat the game?

I have a 216 on my attack stat, though I don't know if that's how much damage is done per hit with my cane. I'll have to check next time I play.
I believe FROM suggested level 65+ for the DLC... I would worry about it later on, towards the end of the game.

edit: though you could go for runs to get some new weapons if you wanted those (in the DLC).

Veelk

Banned
I believe FROM suggested level 65+ for the DLC... I would worry about it later on, towards the end of the game.

edit: though you could go for runs to get some new weapons if you wanted those (in the DLC).

Hm....Well, I was looking at Rakuyo as an option. And it is a Saber. And a sword/dagger combination has it's own perks....

But still, I want Reiterpallasch. Call me stubborn. Maybe when I beat whatever that boss is in the DLC that uses Rakuyo. It's better if I earn it by taking it from my enemy.

Edit: It's apparently in the last area of the DLC. Yeah, I won't be getting it for a while.

So I'm on NG+. I'm a strength\skill character because I'm using the Holy Blade. Is there any reason to use a firearm other than the starting hunting pistol? Most of the good ones I can't use due to the bloodtinge requirement. So I stick with the starting pistol for the parry speed.

Also, are there any other weapons that would work for a strength\skill build or am I locked into just the holy blade? I'm fine with that if that's the case. It's a great weapon.

Hm....Well, I was looking at Rakuyo as an option. And it is a Saber. And a sword/dagger combination has it's own perks....

But still, I want Reiterpallasch. Call me stubborn. Maybe when I beat whatever that boss is in the DLC that uses Rakuyo. It's better if I earn it by taking it from my enemy.

Edit: It's apparently in the last area of the DLC. Yeah, I won't be getting it for a while.
You gotta go through some serious rage inducing shit to get to the Rakuyo man. You don't get it from the boss, you get it from a scenario harder than the boss that uses the god damn thing. The rapier is fine and you're passing up the best weapons in the game cause of aesthetics. I'd just do aesthetics for the first run and throw caution to the wind and just go balls out for the next two characters but that's just me. And yeah at current stats, don't even bother. I just went in early to grab a specific weapon.

Raptor

You gotta go through some serious rage inducing shit to get to the Rakuyo man. You don't get it from the boss, you get it from a scenario harder than the boss that uses the god damn thing. The rapier is fine and you're passing up the best weapons in the game cause of aesthetics. I'd just do aesthetics for the first run and throw caution to the wind and just go balls out for the next two characters but that's just me. And yeah at current stats, don't even bother. I just went in early to grab a specific weapon.

Pizza Cutter, baby!!

Me too :p

Flew through NG+. Is NG++ a big jump? I'm level 106 and I'm kind of wanting to cosplay a run with burial blade and bone ash armor.

Also are there any guns with multiple blood gems spots? Any other readon to use anything besides hunters pistol?

So I'm on NG+. I'm a strength\skill character because I'm using the Holy Blade. Is there any reason to use a firearm other than the starting hunting pistol? Most of the good ones I can't use due to the bloodtinge requirement. So I stick with the starting pistol for the parry speed.

Also, are there any other weapons that would work for a strength\skill build or am I locked into just the holy blade? I'm fine with that if that's the case. It's a great weapon.

I used the Amygdalan arm on NG+ with a quality build and had a good time.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I lied and I played a bit more.

Witch of Hemwick, done in one. It was a pretty easy fight too. Not to say I didn't almost die two or 3 times, but it was only challenging because they kept ghosting out while their cronies gangbanged me.

CAINHURST CASTLE HERE I COME

Honestly, I'm looking forward to this part of the game. I love gothic castles.

Edit: WHAT IN THE HOLY FUCK ARE THOSE THINGS

Okay, I lied and I played a bit more.

Witch of Hemwick, done in one. It was a pretty easy fight too. Not to say I didn't almost die two or 3 times, but it was only challenging because they kept ghosting out while their cronies gangbanged me.

CAINHURST CASTLE HERE I COME

Honestly, I'm looking forward to this part of the game. I love gothic castles.

Edit: WHAT IN THE HOLY FUCK ARE THOSE THINGS
That's a bloodlicker and just run passed those damn things. The weapon you seek is on the first floor, but Cainhurst isn't too hard really, just don't fight the boss.

Veelk

Banned
I just went in to get the rapier.

I have it now. It'll take a bit to get used to the new movement.

Which is why I left Forbidden Forest alone for this. I'm gonna go complete that now, use it to break my new weapon in.

And stay the fuck away from those god awful what the fuck are they oh my god, they freak me the fuck out, it's like they're the most fucked up giant fleas of all time why would they put them in this game goddammit, fuck those things

I just went in to get the rapier.

I have it now. It'll take a bit to get used to the new movement.

Which is why I left Forbidden Forest alone for this. I'm gonna go complete that now, use it to break my new weapon in.

And stay the fuck away from those god awful what the fuck are they oh my god, they freak me the fuck out, it's like they're the most fucked up giant fleas of all time why would they put them in this game goddammit, fuck those things
Oh my god I hope you find one of the hidden bosses...in fact there's another crazy ass enemy in the game...have fun with that thing.

Veelk

Banned
Have fun in the chalice dungeons cause they pop up in there. It must be so fun playing this game for the first time unspoiled.

Is there any major reward for doing the chalice dungeons? They only seem to be there to give more bloodborne combat to those who need it, which I might if this insane game hooks me in like it did so many others, but as of now, I'm looking at it, and I'm seeing the option to spend hours against difficult enemies in a boring environment. Why should I do them?

Is there any major reward for doing the chalice dungeons? They only seem to be there to give more bloodborne combat to those who need it, which I might if this insane game hooks me in like it did so many others, but as of now, I'm looking at it, and I'm seeing the option to spend hours against difficult enemies in a boring environment. Why should I do them?
To level up and get better blood gems. Also to fight some of the unique bosses in them. I had no problem with them. It can be monotonous but it didn't bother me too much. I do them as I'm doing the main game so I'm not doing 50 of the damn things straight before I beat the game.

Quite a few bosses that aren't in the main game, which is fun. Also lots of loot if you're into that (like the beast claws, a weapon you can only get in the dungeons, and lots of gems). And if you want the platinum you have to do a lot of dungeoning.

It's still very much optional, and one nice thing is that it doesn't scale with NG+... so you can do it at your leisure.

Top Bottom