• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Raptor

You can safely upgrade your weapon to +6. There is no reason to not do so since those upgrade materials are abundant.
Starting from +7 is where you need to think before upgrading your weapons.

Good to hear because I dont want to fight Logarious underpowered lol.

Doomsayer

I remembered yesterday I had started a Bloodtinge character and never really progressed with him. I think I beat Gascoigne and then focused on my main. So I decided to jump back in last night, I took down the BSB and got to the lamp in Hemwick. Man, I forgot how tense this game is when you first start. I was on a roll yesterday and didn't die once (except when I fell off the Healing Church after I cleared it...oops).

Going to take down the Witches and most likely Vicar tonight.

Raptor

I remembered yesterday I had started a Bloodtinge character and never really progressed with him. I think I beat Gascoigne and then focused on my main. So I decided to jump back in last night, I took down the BSB and got to the lamp in Hemwick. Man, I forgot how tense this game is when you first start. I was on a roll yesterday and didn't die once (except when I fell off the Healing Church after I cleared it...oops).

Going to take down the Witches and most likely Vicar tonight.

Doing this too at the moment.

So any general tips while you are clearing woudl be nice.

For BSB I guess using that stuff to lure it, fire paper and bring Alfred.

KevinG

Finished the three endings in August, kept my save prior to NG+, level 90.

I bought the DLC in November, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

How will I fare at my level with the DLC?

myco666

Finished the three endings in August, kept my save prior to NG+, level 90.

I bought the DLC in November, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

How will I fare at my level with the DLC?

NG+ lvl90 and haven't played in a while? You will have lots of fun. It is possible around those levels but it is very brutal so you should definitely go get some levels and have +10 weapon with good gems (best ones you get from main game are +18% physical/ +18% physical / 15% Atk UP).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had nerves of steel like Lobos though haha.

Splitting points between Skill and BT is good so that the other mode isn't completely useless. Get that BT up to 50 so that you get most out of Chikage. You should use it so that you press L1 right before you are starting to attack since the R1 after that deals lot of damage and then slash few times and transform it back. Or at least that is how I got most out of it but definitely transform it back to normal mode everytime you are not attacking.

Who's Lobos...?

You mean the quickdraw move? Yeah, that's a good shout. Reminds me of the ol' Iaito. :)

Veelk

Banned
So I have a question of what is the exact recommended time I tackle the DLC. I was recommended a level of 65-80 (i'm currently 55 or so), but I want to know what time should I go in.

I'm currently going to finish up the Forbidden Woods, before doing Castle Cainhurst. By the end, I should be at level 65 or so. Here is my issue.

I want the Rakuyo. I don't know if I'll main with it, but I want it. However, it's only at the very end of the DLC. Okay. But I also heard that the DLC is ball crushingly hard. Like, moreso than the man campaign.

So, I want to get the Rakuyo, and I'm willing to struggle to get the sword I want. HOWEVER, since I heard it's so damn hard, I'm concerned that if I beat it, and then go back to the main campaign, I'll find it disappointingly easy because the DLC is that much harder.

Advise on how to proceed?

So last night I was doing a bit of jolly cooperation at the Witch Abode. When I got beckoned I see the beckoner and another co-operator ganging up on an invader. Seeing as he is outnumbered I back off and wait till they finish him off.

The invader starts running away, down towards Hemmick Charnel lane and the beckoner chases after him. I'm just chilling out, killing some wild dogs waiting for them. So the beckoner and co-operator comes back and we head towards the witch fight.

At the fog gate just before I enter, I get back stabbed by a charged Ludwig blade. The invader had run away and now has returned to get his comeuppance. I die and return back to my world. The beckoner was already in the boss arena so I'm wondering will the invader be able to meddle with the boss fight or will he also return to his world?

grmlin

Take a look at this video, this is the strategy I was talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uYl5afN2cI

Just hang out behind her until she jumps again (I usually give her one swipe, then she jumps).

Once you get the hang of this strategy it makes the fight way easier. After you get your charged R2 in immediately get behind her to safety.

I did not fight this boss yet, but I'm pretty sure that this will be one of the videos I watch and think: "No, that's not the boss I try to kill right now"

:D

Brakke

Banned
So I have a question of what is the exact recommended time I tackle the DLC. I was recommended a level of 65-80 (i'm currently 55 or so), but I want to know what time should I go in.

I'm currently going to finish up the Forbidden Woods, before doing Castle Cainhurst. By the end, I should be at level 65 or so. Here is my issue.

I want the Rakuyo. I don't know if I'll main with it, but I want it. However, it's only at the very end of the DLC. Okay. But I also heard that the DLC is ball crushingly hard. Like, moreso than the man campaign.

So, I want to get the Rakuyo, and I'm willing to struggle to get the sword I want. HOWEVER, since I heard it's so damn hard, I'm concerned that if I beat it, and then go back to the main campaign, I'll find it disappointingly easy because the DLC is that much harder.

DLC is harder than non-DLC endgame. You'll need to beat 3 DLC bosses to get to Rakuyo, two of which are probably the hardest non-optional bosses in the game. Play main story until you beat the boss at the top of Mergo's Loft, then go to DLC. If you even *can* get to the Rakuyo now (doubtful), you'll probably breeze through whatever's left of the main game.

Veelk

Banned
DLC is harder than non-DLC endgame. You'll need to beat 3 DLC bosses to get to Rakuyo, two of which are probably the hardest non-optional bosses in the game. Play main story until you beat the boss at the top of Mergo's Loft, then go to DLC. If you even *can* get to the Rakuyo now (doubtful), you'll probably breeze through whatever's left of the main game.

I wish there was another way I could just get the damn weapon. I'm not going to be sticking around after I beat Bloodborne to play it more times. At best, I'll take on NG+ next year or so, if I feel like it. So getting Rakuyo is effectively beating the game for me in that case.

Is it possibly to do a chalic dungeon to get the variation of the rakuyo without getting the default one? I have no idea, just wondering if someone might know.

Raptor

Is it possibly to do a chalic dungeon to get the variation of the rakuyo without getting the default one? I have no idea, just wondering if someone might know.

I read on Wiki that you have to have in inventory the normal one if not they dont sell it.

I could be wrong tho.

Doomsayer

Doing this too at the moment.

So any general tips while you are clearing woudl be nice.

For BSB I guess using that stuff to lure it, fire paper and bring Alfred.

That is honestly the best strategy for him. Alfred doesn't supply much damage but he is a tank and definitely can take some damage.

Use the Pungent Blood cocktails during phase 2 and on. Molotovs are also useful.

Man, played some of my NG++ character and I'm now level 180...what's the point of even leveling up? Barely does anything and I need about 250K echoes.

Veelk

Banned
Man, played some of my NG++ character and I'm now level 180...what's the point of even leveling up? Barely does anything and I need about 250K echoes.

I find it interesting how DS focus' on the actual combat gameplay, making levels less and less relevant as it goes on.

I'm very huge into action games. You know, DMC, NG, Bayonetta, etc. And after playing Bloodborne as much as I have, I can't help but feel that this is a very tactical action game that just wraps itself in an RPG cloak that diminish as it goes on.

I had a discussion with another action game nut about what the next evolution of action games would be, and he theorized it would be incorporating RPG elements into it. If so, that would make the Souls games the first heralding of this new trend, and I wouldn't really mind that, though those games would probably put that toward a more empowering design philosophy than the Souls games.

I find it interesting how DS focus' on the actual combat gameplay, making levels less and less relevant as it goes on.

I'm very huge into action games. You know, DMC, NG, Bayonetta, etc. And after playing Bloodborne as much as I have, I can't help but feel that this is a very tactical action game that just wraps itself in an RPG cloak that diminish as it goes on.

I had a discussion with another action game nut about what the next evolution of action games would be, and he theorized it would be incorporating RPG elements into it. If so, that would make the Souls games the first heralding of this new trend, and I wouldn't really mind that, though those games would probably put that toward a more empowering design philosophy than the Souls games.
I think once NG+++ starts, stats probably just mean fuck all.

Raptor

You still melt stuff or you start to become underpowered as you going up on the NG+++?

My goal in this game is to go from start to finish feeling like a God destroying monsters :D

Maybe Ill stop after NG+ if it starts to become harder and harder.

You still melt stuff or you start to become underpowered as you going up on the NG+++?

My goal in this game is to go from start to finish feeling like a God destroying monsters :D

Maybe Ill stop after NG+ if it starts to become harder and harder.
This character is still pretty legit since I'm using the Chikage and Threaded Cane at +10 with really good gems on them. I can still one shot visceral the enemies, but they do hit pretty hard. I'm curious as to how bad the difficulty will be with this character in the dlc, but on each cycle the damage you take and the enemy health pools go up and leveling up isn't what I'd call easy at this level and you can only upgrade a damage stat so much before it just stops benefitting you. I have both skill and bloodtinge at 50. I notch up skill and it doesn't do shit so I just upgraded strength to increase the damage output of both weapons why one, it's diminishing returns at that point.

Hey guys. I need some literal guidance in this game. I beat Father Gascoigne a few days ago. Instead of going directly to Old Yharnam, I explored the immediate area outside of Oedon Chapel. I bought and used the Hunter Chief Emblem to open up a gate and proceeded this way. I just beat Vicar Amelia in the Grand Cathedral. Outside of this church, one area leads to a forest and the other took me to some enemies with electric attacks.

I just spoke with my friend and he says that I went the wrong way and missed out on some NPCs and skipped a big part of the game. Did I fuck up? Because that would really suck, The game still gives the option of spawning at Oedon Chapel and Old Yharnam, so I'm hoping that I didn't I didn't irrevocably mess up.

ch4fx_

I still not fully capped Endurance

What is the cap for END? I've read the cap on STR & SKL is 50, does the same go for END?

Curious to know because I'm currently at 45 END and I still feel "clunky" with the pizza cutter. Does that change, or am I just accustomed to "light weapons" (saw cleaver)?

What is the cap for END? I've read the cap on STR & SKL is 50, does the same go for END?

Curious to know because I'm currently at 45 END and I still feel "clunky" with the pizza cutter. Does that change, or am I just accustomed to "light weapons" (saw cleaver)?

So far most of the stats caps at 50,
the wiki says 40
, you are just too used with other weapons. You can get a faster endurance regen with high vit and the eileen rune reward

Hey guys. I need some literal guidance in this game. I beat Father Gascoigne a few days ago. Instead of going directly to Old Yharnam, I explored the immediate area outside of Oedon Chapel. I bought and used the Hunter Chief Emblem to open up a gate and proceeded this way. I just beat Vicar Amelia in the Grand Cathedral. Outside of this church, one area leads to a forest and the other took me to some enemies with electric attacks.

I just spoke with my friend and he says that I went the wrong way and missed out on some NPCs and skipped a big part of the game. Did I fuck up? Because that would really suck, The game still gives the option of spawning at Oedon Chapel and Old Yharnam, so I'm hoping that I didn't I didn't irrevocably mess up.

Nope, you're totally fine. In fact good on you for killing Amelia first!

You should definitely go towards the forest, there's some good stuff that way. Old Yharnam is also optional... though I would go clear it out anyway.

Have you found the workshop yet?

Nope, you're totally fine. In fact good on you for killing Amelia first!

You should definitely go towards the forest, there's some good stuff that way. Old Yharnam is also optional... though I would go clear it out anyway.

Have you found the workshop yet?

Good to hear I didn't miss anything! Even though Old Yharnam is optional I'll definitely go check it out.

As for the workshop, the only workshop that I'm familiar with is the one from the Hunter's Dream, but I'm assuming that you're talking about something else? At least, I think it's called the workshop...it's where you can upgrade your weapons.

Arondight

Good to hear I didn't miss anything! Even though Old Yharnam is optional I'll definitely go check it out.

As for the workshop, the only workshop that I'm familiar with is the one from the Hunter's Dream, but I'm assuming that you're talking about something else? At least, I think it's called the workshop...it's where you can upgrade your weapons.

Recommend beating other locations first before Forbidden Woods. All locations are fully accessible. The only way you miss out is if you didn't explore every part of the game.

Quests will be affected by the state of the moon though.

Different. Location is after a location you haven't beat yet.

I reccomend you to fully explore those doors on Yharman now, even some windows. after the moon phase starts the save NPCs sidequest starts

Recommend beating other locations first before Forbidden Woods. All locations are fully accessible. The only way you miss out is if you didn't explore every part of the game.

Quests will be affected by the state of the moon though.

Different. Location is after a location you haven't beat yet.

By forest I assumed he meant Hemwick Lane... if you meant the Forbidden Woods, then don't go there until you do all the other stuff around (old yharnam, hemwick, another place or two...).

By forest I assumed he meant Hemwick Lane... if you meant the Forbidden Woods, then don't go there until you do all the other stuff around (old yharnam, hemwick, another place or two...).

It's whatever area is directly to the right after stepping out of the Grand Cathedral (where the Vicar Amelia boss fight takes place). It looked like a forested area but I haven't really even stepped foot in there yet.

Tomorrow, my game plan is to explore Old Yharnam. After that I'll go after the electric guys outside the Cathedral and finally go into the forested area mentioned above.

There seemed to be a few quests and secrets that I still haven't discovered yet. For example, there was a man who asked for a password and gave me a clue to check Oedon Chapel. I'll try doing this tomorrow as well.

Thanks, everyone!

Brakke

Banned
I wish there was another way I could just get the damn weapon. I'm not going to be sticking around after I beat Bloodborne to play it more times. At best, I'll take on NG+ next year or so, if I feel like it. So getting Rakuyo is effectively beating the game for me in that case.

It's whatever area is directly to the right after stepping out of the Grand Cathedral (where the Vicar Amelia boss fight takes place). It looked like a forested area but I haven't really even stepped foot in there yet.

Tomorrow, my game plan is to explore Old Yharnam. After that I'll go after the electric guys outside the Cathedral and finally go into the forested area mentioned above.

There seemed to be a few quests and secrets that I still haven't discovered yet. For example, there was a man who asked for a password and gave me a clue to check Oedon Chapel. I'll try doing this tomorrow as well.

Thanks, everyone!

You may have missed a quest or two but all the endings are still open, and you can't close yourself off from any zones.

You got the password when you beat Amelia, you learn it in the vision you see when you touch the skull on the altar after beating her.

For quests, keep an eye out for red lanterns hung by doors / windows. They mark NPCs. Most zones open to you have at least one, but they're especially prevalent in Cathedral Ward and first zone, I always forget what it's called.

Melchiah

This is what The Old Hunters guide book says:
Although you can access the Hunter's Nightmare as soon as the game time advances to Night, tackling the new areas this early would pose a severe challenge; you would be at a serious disadvantage against the powerful enemies and bosses that await. For a more balanced experience, a minimun Blood Level of 80 with at least one right-hand weapon upgraded to +9 is recommended. This means either heading into the Hunter's Nightmare after clearing most of the areas in the main game or after considerable Chalice Dungeon play. That said, speedrunners and challenge enthusiasts will find no shortage of opportunities to flex their muscles in these areas by entering as early as possible.

The main game will feel easier after the DLC, so I'd personally recommend to go there after you've beaten the M
icolash
in Mensis, and found the 18% physical attack gems there. If you want to beat the last main game bosses before the DLC, so that they still feel challenging, you could always make a backup save.

EDIT:

I'm at level 212 on NG+, and I find it fun to have a character that can use almost all the weapons and hunter tools. Having arcane at level 24 still prevents me from using all of them. I doubt I'll ever raise it much higher, as levelling up takes +300k echoes.

I'm at level 212 on NG+, and I find it fun to have a character that can use almost all the weapons and hunter tools. Having arcane at level 24 still prevents me from using all of them. I doubt I'll ever raise it much higher, as levelling up takes +300k echoes.
I have 34 str, 50 skl and 30 bld so I can use pretty much anything that isn't governed by arcane. I guess I should just stop leveling up str and level up what I can with arcane then.

Melchiah

I have 34 str, 50 skl and 30 bld so I can use pretty much anything that isn't governed by arcane. I guess I should just stop leveling up str and level up what I can with arcane then.

I've got 50 vit/str/bld, 55 skl, and 33 end. I doubt A Call Beyond is worth raising the arcane up to the outrageous 40. IIRC, that's the only thing I can't use with the build. I guess there are also some arcane weapons, that don't deliver that high damage at level 24.

I've got 50 vit/str/bld, 55 skl, and 33 end. I doubt A Call Beyond is worth raising the arcane up to the outrageous 40. IIRC, that's the only thing I can't use with the build. I guess there are also some arcane weapons, that don't deliver that high damage at level 24.
I never thought about raising my skill above 50, is it even worth it?

Decided to check online for the music box people were telling me to use against Gascoigne.
I totally missed the girl, now I feel bad for using the Red Jeweled Brooch, wont be able to give it to her.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, so I'm at something of a crossroads.

Over the next 20 levels, i can either pour my levels into my Skill, bringing it up to 50, or I can pour it into another stat, which will bring it up to around 30 (which is what my current skill is).

What is more advantageous, specializing in one area or being a hybrid of two different skills?

Decided to check online for the music box people were telling me to use against Gascoigne.
I totally missed the girl, now I feel bad for using the Red Jeweled Brooch, wont be able to give it to her.
Don't feel bad.

Over the next 20 levels, i can either pour my levels into my Skill, bringing it up to 50, or I can pour it into another stat, which will bring it up to around 30 (which is what my current skill is).

What is more advantageous, specializing in one area or being a hybrid of two different skills?
You get more of a benefit maining skill than you would diverting from that and pouring it into bloodtinge, unless you want to use a lot of Bone Marrow Ash on the repeating pistol. Once you go Bloodtinge you pretty much just go like "whelp time to use the Chikage" which you don't want to use any way. Rapier scales off of skill any way.

I would focus on getting your skill to 50. Better to prioritize one stat.

Top Bottom