• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Okay, so I'm at something of a crossroads.

Over the next 20 levels, i can either pour my levels into my Skill, bringing it up to 50, or I can pour it into another stat, which will bring it up to around 30 (which is what my current skill is).

What is more advantageous, specializing in one area or being a hybrid of two different skills?

Depends on the weapon you're planning to use. If you're going for the Blade of Mercy, extra strength won't do much. Other weapons have larger Strength components, there's practically a whole unbroken continuum between "all skill" and "all strength".

I would recommend raising your secondary stats to 25, as that's the soft cap where further points give less attack power. There's a second, harsher soft cap at 50, which is a good place to leave your primary stats at.

Dahbomb

Over the next 20 levels, i can either pour my levels into my Skill, bringing it up to 50, or I can pour it into another stat, which will bring it up to around 30 (which is what my current skill is).

What is more advantageous, specializing in one area or being a hybrid of two different skills?
What weapon are you using though?

Decided to check online for the music box people were telling me to use against Gascoigne.
I totally missed the girl, now I feel bad for using the Red Jeweled Brooch, wont be able to give it to her.

Dont be sad the little girl
dies in most of the outcomes, only if you lie to her about you still dont find her mother and dad would kept her alive

Didnt you wanted to do a BT build? if you specialize in another stat too much you maybe not able to reach the BT cap without not spending points on vit and end.

My BT char used skill till 20 mark then focused on BT later.

Cursed gems are mostly fun on Root chalices versions, in game you have to farm thw white lanters but is a rare frop from them

Veelk

Banned
What weapon are you using though?

Well, the question is what weapon I am going to use. For now, it's threaded cane and Reiterpallasch, but I was thinking of going for Rakuyo, but also Simon's Blade or possibly Evelyn are weapons that appeal to me, which is why I'm tempted to go on a BT spree. However, I'm told that requires an extremely large investment into leveling up to be useful. So I'm asking if it's worth it.

Those are the weapons I really want. Otherwise, I also want to try other build weapons just for fun, like the Holy Moonlight Blade, but I won't be able to because it would take forever to level up my arcane stat for it to be useful

I fucking HATE this kind of design. I've always hated having to choose between one kind of weapon or another. I want every weapon to be a viable one, which I can technically do, but the amount of investment that requires is nothing short of insane. The only reason this is tolerable is because I have the internet and can see how other weapons play and plan for it. But imagine if I were truly going in blind, where I'd pour my points into skill for the threaded cane if then only found out about Chikage once I actually found it in my playthrough, and wanted to use it but realized I couldn't use it because I didn't think to put my points into bloodtinge, I'd be furious.

There is nothing I like less in a game than being in a candy store and then being told I can only have one type of candy. It's downright cruel.

Didnt you wanted to do a BT build? if you specialize in another stat too much you maybe not able to reach the BT cap without not spending points on vit and end.

My BT char used skill till 20 mark then focused on BT later.

I'm doing a skill build, and I want to maybe use BT as my secondary stat.

grmlin

I think about a second character using arcane. Any tips? The start will be tougher I think but I want to give it a try.

Which weapon should I use for the beginning?

Thanks!

xinek

I'm right around level 65 now on a character that I built for jolly co-op. How much more can I realistically expect to level before it starts impacting matchmaking? I'd like to be able to co-op as many bosses as possible, including the DLC.

Raptor

Now that Im close to this stuff, I want that Henryks Set, any tips on how to aproach? it says there on wiki that I need to trigger the Eileen quest but only says open all cathedral ward doors, dont know what that means only that I need to open them all lol.

I already talked to her on the sewers.

Well, the question is what weapon I am going to use. For now, it's threaded cane and Reiterpallasch, but I was thinking of going for Rakuyo, but also Simon's Blade or possibly Evelyn are weapons that appeal to me, which is why I'm tempted to go on a BT spree. However, I'm told that requires an extremely large investment into leveling up to be useful. So I'm asking if it's worth it.

Those are the weapons I really want. Otherwise, I also want to try other build weapons just for fun, like the Holy Moonlight Blade, but I won't be able to because it would take forever to level up my arcane stat for it to be useful

I fucking HATE this kind of design. I've always hated having to choose between one kind of weapon or another. I want every weapon to be a viable one, which I can technically do, but the amount of investment that requires is nothing short of insane. The only reason this is tolerable is because I have the internet and can see how other weapons play and plan for it. But imagine if I were truly going in blind, where I'd pour my points into skill for the threaded cane if then only found out about Chikage once I actually found it in my playthrough, and wanted to use it but realized I couldn't use it because I didn't think to put my points into bloodtinge, I'd be furious.

There is nothing I like less in a game than being in a candy store and then being told I can only have one type of candy. It's downright cruel.

I'm doing a skill build, and I want to maybe use BT as my secondary stat.

Thats the point of creating a new char, it can be painful not being able to weild all the weapons in one char but thats the game design.

My BT build focuses heavily on the chikage, the evelyn is good, can save you from bad situations but is like most of the guns is more for parrying or doing some last burst of damage with the bone dust. I still haven tried the flamethrower build

I think about a second character using arcane. Any tips? The start will be tougher I think but I want to give it a try.

Which weapon should I use for the beginning?

Thanks!

Hunter spear, jump to boom hammer (DLC),tonitrus, blades of mercy and the moonlight sword

Now that Im close to this stuff, I want that Henryks Set, any tips on how to aproach? it says there on wiki that I need to trigger the Eileen quest but only says open all cathedral ward doors, dont know what that means only that I need to open them all lol.

I already talked to her on the sewers.
Yes you need to trigger Eileens quest. It's best to deal with that before fighting Vicar Amelia. I have a really good method for fighting Henryk too, it's never failed.

Raptor

Yes you need to trigger Eileens quest. It's best to deal with that before fighting Vicar Amelia. I have a really good method for fighting Henryk too, it's never failed.

Yes I will do that before Amelia in fact thats my immediate goal, I will go ahead and open everything and then search for Eileen to go and fight Henryk.

Yes I will do that before Amelia in fact thats my immediate goal, I will go ahead and open everything and then search for Eileen to go and fight Henryk.
Yeah track down Eileen, she's not that hard to find and probably just go back to the hunters dream and when you try to go to the lantern where you fought Gascoigne you won't be able to, that's the sign that you can fight Henryk.

You have to open the big gate that leads to the open area where the big guys are hanging out. You can either buy the emblem for 10k echoes or open it from the other side (I think you have to do BSB first to do it that way?).

After you open that up, she will appear outside of Oedon Chapel. From the lamp, go straight out the door, and she will be on the left.

After that... go to hunter's dream. If it won't let you warp to the Tomb of Oedon lamp (where you fought gascoigne) then you know it's on. All you have to do is show up there and help her fight Henryk. Just don't attack Eileen if you can help it. Some people suggest throwing poison knives or whatnot.

You have to open the big gate that leads to the open area where the big guys are hanging out. You can either buy the emblem for 10k echoes or open it from the other side (I think you have to do BSB first to do it that way?).

After you open that up, she will appear outside of Oedon Chapel. From the lamp, go straight out the door, and she will be on the left.

After that... go to hunter's dream. If it won't let you warp to the Tomb of Oedon lamp (where you fought gascoigne) then you know it's on. All you have to do is show up there and help her fight Henryk. Just don't attack Eileen if you can help it. Some people suggest throwing poison knives or whatnot.

Ooooh, excellent. I just beat the BSB and opened up all the cathedral doors, so I'll go meet up with Eileen next.

Raptor

Alright, cheers for the tips.

Sounds easy enough :p

:D

Veelk

Banned
Thats the point of creating a new char, it can be painful not being able to weild all the weapons in one char but thats the game design.

I don't like it. I hate even light uses of it in games like God of War that just don't let you fully upgrade 2 of it's weapons, so having 75% of the weapons locked out is really annoying. And creating a new character is a huge investment in and of itself. Say I wanted the Moonlight Sword, I'd have to level up my character up to 75 or whatever, then go after the DLC. I've been okaying BB for over 20 hours at this point, and while things will undoubtedly go faster in my second playthrough, there's no way it will take less than 15 hours if I blitz through it as fast as I can. All to get 1 weapon. If I want a build for each category, that would be 4 large playthroughs.

I'm really trying to keep perspective that this is a different game than most. That this is a game that centers around horror, and the fact that it locks you out of most of your options is probably a way of keeping it's theme and atmosphere of disempowerment. You have a different mindset toward the enemies if you are as powerful as you literally can be vs if you are powerful in one of many ways.

But I just hate it as a design. I don't like being locked out of things at all.

grmlin

My BT build focuses heavily on the chikage, the evelyn is good, can save you from bad situations but is like most of the guns is more for parrying or doing some last burst of damage with the bone dust. I still haven tried the flamethrower build

Hunter spear, jump to boom hammer (DLC),tonitrus, blades of mercy and the moonlight sword

Thanks!

I cleared central Yharnam and the cleric beast in one sitting. It's so cool to see how I got so much better at this game.

Raptor

Thanks!

I cleared central Yharnam and the cleric beast in one sitting. It's so cool to see how I got so much better at this game.

I even killed gascoigne in one sitting too lol.

I had to seek help from a friend the first time to kill him, was overwhelmingly hard for me.

Veelk

Banned
Veelk Adventures:

I'm in the forbidden forest. I'm actually getting more a challenge than I expected. Partially because the snake area is NOT suited to a short range weapon like the Reiterpallasch, making it not the greatest test run place, but that's okay, I'm still persevering, switching to my Cane as needed..

I have to say, is place if freaking me out though. All these snake bundles... Snake enemies don't usually scare me in a game, but that's mostly because they're not all that strong. Here, they're vicious if you aren't careful. So I'm trying to tread carefully and all, and I come across a small pit. I look down it, and there are TWO of those huge snake bundle things. Seriously, fuck those things, they freak me the fuc- *HISS* *STING*

One of them hits me from behind. I stumble in. The pit vipers. Eat me. Alive. *shudder* I don't have a snake phobia, but come on! Whats so unnerving is that this is borderline authentic snake predatory tactics. They're not a big threat by themselves, but you don't pay attention, you fall into a pit of vipers, where they sting your face...yeah, that's how actual snakes kill you. And here that's how they killed me. I'm still shuddering.

Edit: Shadows of Yharnam defeated on third attempt. Come on, Bloodborne! When are you gonna get hard like everyone says?

NG++ time now.

I seriously hate brainsuckers. I suck against them for some reason. Went to Upper Cathedral Ward earlier to kill the bosses there before advancing the story, and lost 16 insight. /facepalm

Then I died to
Celestial Emissary. Was goofing around with him and he started spamming laser beams at me. Had no idea he could do that, I never have let him survive long enough to shoot lasers at me. Lol.

Wish I had PS+ so I could partake in some jolly co-op.

-Horizon-

NG++ time now.

I seriously hate brainsuckers. I suck against them for some reason. Went to Upper Cathedral Ward earlier to kill the bosses there before advancing the story, and lost 16 insight. /facepalm

Then I died to
Celestial Emissary. Was goofing around with him and he started spamming laser beams at me. Had no idea he could do that, I never have let him survive long enough to shoot lasers at me. Lol.

Wish I had PS+ so I could partake in some jolly co-op.
That place is just ridiculous with how many were crawling around the place along with narrow pathways/corridors.

Dahbomb

You aren't locked out of anything.

With them allowing you to purchase Blood Rocks you can upgrade a big number of weapons to max (technically all your weapons if you can grind). In addition you can level to a point where you can max out BT, Skill, Strength and Arcane effectively being able to use any build in the game.

The game is a RPG and you have to make choices at start. If there weren't choices then it would just be a straight up action game. Even then the choices aren't punishing at all.

Veelk

Banned
You aren't locked out of anything.

With them allowing you to purchase Blood Rocks you can upgrade a big number of weapons to max (technically all your weapons if you can grind). In addition you can level to a point where you can max out BT, Skill, Strength and Arcane effectively being able to use any build in the game.

The game is a RPG and you have to make choices at start. If there weren't choices then it would just be a straight up action game. Even then the choices aren't punishing at all.

Not punishing, just disempowering. Or, unempowering, if you prefer. Which, again, I understand is the theme of the game, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. And the amount of grinding I'd have to do to max out everything is nothing short of absurd. That it's technically possible doesn't make it reasonably doable. If those are the conditions, I am effectively locked out.

Like I said, this isn't a criticism in the sense of "The game fucked up" or "this was the wrong decision" but rather "It's a design philosophy I am fundamentally dislike"

I'm having a hell of a time fighting the Gatling gun Hunter in Old Yharnam. My attacks do very little damage, and I'm constantly interrupted by his blunderbuss. Any tips on fighting him (and other hunters)?

Also, is there a shortcut to get to his tower? Simply getting over to him is rather tedious, as it's difficult to run past all the enemies while he shoots from his tower.

ch4fx_

I'm having a hell of a time fighting the Gatling gun Hunter in Old Yharnam.

If you lock onto him as soon as you get to the top of the ladder & shoot him over & over, you will eventually knock him off the tower & kill him with little to no effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnZnJLgiHYM

Any tips on fighting him (and other hunters)?

At some point in the game, you will be tasked with fighting 3 different hunters. Easy mode for this fight involves retreating to a cell below, closing the cell door & fighting them from inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytDAczpBKQ

I'm having a hell of a time fighting the Gatling gun Hunter in Old Yharnam. My attacks do very little damage, and I'm constantly interrupted by his blunderbuss. Any tips on fighting him (and other hunters)?

Also, is there a shortcut to get to his tower? Simply getting over to him is rather tedious, as it's difficult to run past all the enemies while he shoots from his tower.

You don't actually have to kill him. You can
befriend him later
, after killing
the BSB
and at least meeting
Paarl.
If you want to know details lmk.

There are a couple shortcuts in Old Yharnam but neither helps you much just for getting to his tower IIRC.

You don't actually have to kill him. You can
befriend him later
, after killing
the BSB
and at least meeting
Paarl.
If you want to know details lmk.

There are a couple shortcuts in Old Yharnam but neither helps you much just for getting to his tower IIRC.

I wouldn't mind knowing more about this. Did I pass the Blood-Starved Beast or do I meet him after the Gatling gun hunter?

I wouldn't mind knowing more about this. Did I pass the Blood-Starved Beast or do I meet him after the Gatling gun hunter?

BSB is at the end of old yharnam, the boss. Basically to befriend the hunter (Djura) you need to do two things. 1. you need to encounter Paarl (in the hypogean gaol), and 2. you need to get to Djura without him seeing you after doing the first part. What you end up doing is (after dying to/defeating Paarl, either one) you warp in at the BSB lamp, and then work your way backwards to Djura's tower. Then he treats you as non-hostile when you go up top.

Veelk

Banned
Just fought Amelia on NG++ and it wasn't too bad. I'm level 181, am I supposed to be one shotting the hunters in the first part of the DLC with viscerals or am I OP?
Bloodborne NG++ Vicar Amelia

I think Amelia is still my favorite design I've encountered so far. You don't get to see werewolves done very creatively too often, and her monster form has a ton of personality and style to it, while remaining a monsterous werewolf.

That's really what I'm got into the series for, to see the awesome designs for everything, and in that aspect, BB has not disappointed.

I think Amelia is still my favorite design I've encountered so far. You don't get to see werewolves done very creatively too often, and her monster form has a ton of personality and style to it, while remaining a monsterous werewolf.

That's really what I'm got into the series for, to see the awesome designs for everything, and in that aspect, BB has not disappointed.
Amelia's definitely one of my faves. You're really doing a disservice by not doing the chalice dungeons. You get some of the best bosses in the game in there. And you have some grotesque shit to look forward to.
Both, amazing
This is such a good character I'm using. Even deadly still in NG++ at least for the main game. I wonder how well I'd do against Ludwig.
NG++ Paarl got wailed on:
Bloodborne™ NG++ Darkbeast Paarl
Do I need to complete Simon's quest to get his shit or can I just kill him at the entrance?

Amelia's definitely one of my faves. You're really doing a disservice by not doing the chalice dungeons. You get some of the best bosses in the game in there. And you have some grotesque shit to look forward to.

This is such a good character I'm using. Even deadly still in NG++ at least for the main game. I wonder how well I'd do against Ludwig.
NG++ Paarl got wailed on:
Bloodborne™ NG++ Darkbeast Paarl
Do I need to complete Simon's quest to get his shit or can I just kill him at the entrance?

You can kill him earier for the bow, I think the key is in the hamlet still

Soulhouf

Edit: Shadows of Yharnam defeated on third attempt. Come on, Bloodborne! When are you gonna get hard like everyone says?

Who said it's hard? Okay you die from time to time when you don't pay attention. It's challenging but not really hard unless you do the Cursed-Fetid-Rotted Chalice dungeon. I finished the game 15 times or so and Shadow of Yharnam is one of the bosses I never died to, until my lv4 run.
I'm past where you are with a level 4 character and so far I didn't hit a wall yet. Well I didn't beat Logarius yet but I'm confident enough that I can do it when I upgrade my Saw Cleaver to +9.

Speaking of lv4 no level up runs, I already did a base level run no level up in all the Souls games and while Dark Souls was a breeze, Demon's Souls wasn't hard until the last boss, Bloodborne feels a lot more balanced for that kind of play.
I think the developers design the enemies and levels with that in mind.

Raptor

Look what I got, baby!!

henryks69p48.jpg

Thing is this place is cursed lol, Oedon's Tomb, when I killed father g it was a stalemate we both got killed at the same time, now that we fought Henryk he and Eileen got killed at the same time lol, while I was watching.

Grabbed the Heir rune and the crow badge, if there is a sidequest with Eileen I cant do that now, maybe in ng+.

I totally am underpowered at this point because I havent put points on SKL and everything on VIT and END that I do shit damage to bosses.

I cant beat BSB at all lol, and went after Amelia, I got how to kill her after maybe 6 attempts, I know what to do and I do it but she starts to heal and that fucks up my strategy since I have to start again and I do so little damage that some mistake I make and Im dead.

I know I can kill her I just need more patience or something or grind to level SKL more.

myco666

Look what I got, baby!!

Thing is this place is cursed lol, Oedon's Tomb, when I killed father g it was a stalemate we both got killed at the same time, now that we fought Henryk he and Eileen got killed at the same time lol, while I was watching.

Grabbed the Heir rune and the crow badge, if there is a sidequest with Eileen I cant do that now, maybe in ng+.

I totally am underpowered at this point because I havent put points on SKL and everything on VIT and END that I do shit damage to bosses.

I cant beat BSB at all lol, and went after Amelia, I got how to kill her after maybe 6 attempts, I know what to do and I do it but she starts to heal and that fucks up my strategy since I have to start again and I do so little damage that some mistake I make and Im dead.

I know I can kill her I just need more patience or something or grind to level SKL more.

Have you been upgrading your weapon? You get way bigger damage boost from that than bumping Skill in early game.

grmlin

I ran into Henryk with my first character by accident, panicked and ran away. I later learned that he is part of the Eileen quest, and that she died without my help. I really hope I can fix this with my second char.

Raptor

Have you been upgrading your weapon? You get way bigger damage boost from that than bumping Skill in early game.

I have my cane at +3 at the moment I think, I need 3 Twin Blood Shards to upgrade it futher.

Maybe I need to go ahead to Hemwick's lane now and farm?

Weird thing is that on my STR character I killed Amelia in my second attempt I think.

:(

xinek

Just beat the Wet Nurse after several attempts. She was no problem on my first character using the Holy Blade -- it only took one try. But on this character, with the BoM, it was a different story. Whew! Can't wait to go co-op now and assist with this boss, considering I wasted many insight summoning people who died about ten seconds into the fight. Ugh.

Soulhouf

I have my cane at +3 at the moment I think, I need 3 Twin Blood Shards to upgrade it futher.

Maybe I need to go ahead to Hemwick's lane now and farm?

Weird thing is that on my STR character I killed Amelia in my second attempt I think.

:(

Go to Hemwick. Upgrade your Saw Cleaver to +6 and everything will be much easier.
I can't say it enough but Saw Cleaver breaks the first 3rd of the game literally.
The good news is, you don't need any stat investment for that weapon to be effective.

Look what I got, baby!!

I don't even know how to die to Henryk anymore. I just warp to Cathedral Ward, exit out the back, go back to where that giant gate entrance is, drop to the house above Henryk, chuck a knife at him, wait for Eileen to join, drop in and join the fight. Usually with that he's so preoccupied with Eileen any way that I can just attack him and have her fight him as well, he really doesn't last too long with that method.

Raptor

Go to Hemwick. Upgrade your Saw Cleaver to +6 and everything will go down so quickly.
I can't say it enough but Saw Cleaver breaks the first 3rd of the game literally.
The good news is, you don't need any stat investment for that weapon to be effective.

So I buy the saw and upgrade it instead of using my Cane?

Top Bottom