• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Melchiah

You can buy the DLC if you want a challenge right at your door.

The recommended level for the DLC is 85, with +9 weapon, so I don't think he's quite there yet. I'd start it after nearly completing Mensis area, and getting those gems from there.

EDIT: Not to mention, that the main game would feel even easier after the DLC.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i started playing through this again because i haven't touched it for a while

i'm up to BSB

look for strategies

'it's really easy when you use pungent blood cocktails!'

fuck off no it isn't

Veelk

Banned
Have fun with the chalice versions. You have to fight one of them in an arena where half of it has a lake of poison.
Yeah, I'm really not being sold on the chalice dungeons based on descriptions like that. It's not even the challenge, I just hate game designs that add challenge by making an area hostile to you but not the boss.

Yeah, I'm really not being sold on the chalice dungeons based on descriptions like that. It's not even the challenge, I just hate game designs that add challenge by making an area hostile to you but not the boss.
The fights not even that hard, you just have to be mindful of where you are. Now the thing that pisses me off is the game puts the lantern to get back there in the lake of poison.

Only started playing this recently and I'm getting my ass kicked by Father Gascoigne.
I'm a huge Souls fan, played all the previous games, but I experienced a kind of frustration that I hadn't felt before with these games and I think it's related to the little amount of time I have to play these days.
Yesterday I had an hour to play which doesn't happen often, I'm working on several games that I've been trying to beat for what seems like forever but yesterday I decided to go with Bloodborne. Spent that hour trying to beat FG to no avail. At the end I was frustrated because I felt I wasted that hour without making progress in any of my games.
Now, I know that those fights made me a better player and that I will beat it eventually, but the frustration of dedicating so much time to a single encounter without beating it really got to me. I could've done a ton of stuff in Yakuza 5 with that time for example.
I had him down to a sliver of health and lost, wasting all my healing items and molotovs and I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to try again. I know I will, but this was never a problem for me before.
I currently don't have PS+ but I want to win this fight without help, especially because I already got so close.

Only started playing this recently and I'm getting my ass kicked by Father Gascoigne.
I'm a huge Souls fan, played all the previous games, but I experienced a kind of frustration that I hadn't felt before with these games and I think it's related to the little amount of time I have to play these days.
Yesterday I had an hour to play which doesn't happen often, I'm working on several games that I've been trying to beat for what seems like forever but yesterday I decided to go with Bloodborne. Spent that hour trying to beat FG to no avail. At the end I was frustrated because I felt I wasted that hour without making progress in any of my games.
Now, I know that those fights made me a better player and that I will beat it eventually, but the frustration of dedicating so much time to a single encounter without beating it really got to me. I could've done a ton of stuff in Yakuza 5 with that time for example.
I had him down to a sliver of health and lost, wasting all my healing items and molotovs and I'm having a hard time finding the motivation to try again. I know I will, but this was never a problem for me before.
I currently don't have PS+ but I want to win this fight without help, especially because I already got so close.

Some tips:
- do you have the music box? that can help. you can also use it to force him into his second phase.
- fighting him on the stairs can make things easier (instead of in the graveyard where gravestones get in the way).

Have you already beaten the cleric beast, and leveled up some? If you got Gascoigne down to a sliver of health then I think you'll beat him very soon. After that the game opens up a fair bit (or soon-ish), meaning you won't have to bang your head against the wall again for a while, if it comes to it.

Do you know how to parry yet? It makes him pretty easy. And you can attack him through the gravestones, so using them as a bit of a barrier helps too.

taybul

i started playing through this again because i haven't touched it for a while

i'm up to BSB

look for strategies

'it's really easy when you use pungent blood cocktails!'

fuck off no it isn't

Learn his moveset to know when to dodge. During the second phase avoid him more as his new moves are more erratic and heal through poison if he's too close or get behind a pillar and pop an antidote.

Some tips:
- do you have the music box? that can help. you can also use it to force him into his second phase.
- fighting him on the stairs can make things easier (instead of in the graveyard where gravestones get in the way).

Have you already beaten the cleric beast, and leveled up some? If you got Gascoigne down to a sliver of health then I think you'll beat him very soon. After that the game opens up a fair bit (or soon-ish), meaning you won't have to bang your head against the wall again for a while, if it comes to it.

Yeah, the cleric beast wasn't hard imo. Glad to hear the game opens up after that. In the souls games you usually can go explore other areas when you're stuck, here it really is like banging your head against a wall which I'm finding really annoying.

Do you know how to parry yet? It makes him pretty easy. And you can attack him through the gravestones, so using them as a bit of a barrier helps too.

It's the second form that gets me, it's just relentless.

Edit: Not sure about the music box, I'll have to check if I have it, I think I do, pretty sure I've explored everything.

I just beat Vicar Amelia on NG+. Next up, DLC. I wonder how much I'll get my ass kicked.

I didn't get the DLC until after I beat the game and I really didn't want to start all over again.

Am I making a big mistake?

It's the second form that gets me, it's just relentless.
Second form can be parried, that's how I beat it the last time I fought it because I forgot to equip the music box before the fight. It takes a bit to get the timing right, but you should be able to shoot him during his swipe attacks, just make sure you're not too close to him. If you need better space just run up the stairs and then drop back down if you need some time to heal.

Frack Amygdala... :'(
stop dead
swipe dead
one hit kill is just bullshit.

It is, but you'll get there. Get behind her and give her a swipe. When she jumps, don't move. Charge an R2 and her head will land directly behind you. Hit her with that R2, then roll between her legs to get behind her and repeat.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
First time it was same for me haha. Spent over 2 hours on it and burned through so many vials. Even when doing the run for that video I had to retry bunch of times since I was originally going for no damage run.

Also since you are going with BT build you could also just try deal damage by shooting. There are lot of openings for it. I don't remember if it has blood resistance though.

That was you? You got some serious nerves of steel! :D

It's more like a BT/SKL split, majoring in BT. Something like 36/25 at the moment, though BT might be a little higher. I wanted to make the most out of the Evelyn/Bowblade/Chikage combo. I realise that splitting my damage like that isn't optimal and it's made a few areas a struggle, but having that extra SKL means its normal mode (and the Bowblade's) is a viable option, especially when I'm low on health. I'm not keen on relying solely on the Chikage's transformed state (nor am I brave enough!). I tend to use the transformed mode mid combo and then switch back for the last hit - minimal self-inflicted damage that way! Once I get into NG+, I foresee (hopefully) this all paying off, especially when I finally get BT to 50.

Second form can be parried, that's how I beat it the last time I fought it because I forgot to equip the music box before the fight. It takes a bit to get the timing right, but you should be able to shoot him during his swipe attacks, just make sure you're not too close to him. If you need better space just run up the stairs and then drop back down if you need some time to heal.

What exactly does the music box do? And when we're talking second form we're talking about when he transforms, not when he extends his weapon, right?

Raptor

Alright so I killed Ceric Beast, Father G, God I hate this boss so much, killed me 3 times and all because he does this attack and he doesnt give an opportunity to recover he jumps on you while you are down and keeps hitting that bastard lol.

What happened after that was that we had a stalemate lol, both got killed at the same time and got the Oedon Key was really funny lol, when I came back there were my souls there and the lantern :D

I went to old yharnam, got my Charred Set, killed the hunter on the tower (fell down I mean lol) and opened the shortcut to the stairs to get to Starved Beast quickly, thats where I stopped playing 1am.

I feel very underpowered as hell, Cane doesnt pack a punch, Im saving every single upgrade stones for when I get the Chikage upgrade it to +5 or something all at once, maybe Im doing it wrong?

Can I upgrade the cane some?

taybul

What exactly does the music box do? And when we're talking second form we're talking about when he transforms, not when he extends his weapon, right?

It stuns him for a few seconds. Particularly useful for his second form (beast mode).
Alright so I killed Ceric Beast, Father G, God I hate this boss so much, killed me 3 times and all because he does this attack and he doesnt give an opportunity to recover he jumps on you while you are down and keeps hitting that bastard lol.

What happened after that was that we had a stalemate lol, both got killed at the same time and got the Oedon Key was really funny lol, when I came back there were my souls there and the lantern :D

I went to old yharnam, got my Charred Set, killed the hunter on the tower (fell down I mean lol) and opened the shortcut to the stairs to get to Starved Beast quickly, thats where I stopped playing 1am.

I feel very underpowered as hell, Cane doesnt pack a punch, Im saving every single upgrade stones for when I get the Chikage upgrade it to +5 or something all at once, maybe Im doing it wrong?

You'll definitely have enough stones before you can get the chikage. Go ahead and upgrade the cane if it's your main right now.

Music box stuns him and allows you to attack him, It's best to do this in his wolf form cause that's the most dangerous one and back stab during the stun window to wipe out as much of his health as possible. I just consider him extending his axe as an extension of his first form. Second form is his transformed state to me.

Music box stuns him and allows you to attack him, It's best to do this in his wolf form cause that's the most dangerous one and back stab during the stun window to wipe out as much of his health as possible. I just consider him extending his axe as an extension of his first form. Second form is his transformed state to me.

Damn, that would've been useful yesterday. Will give that a shot. Thanks!

Damn, that would've been useful yesterday. Will give that a shot. Thanks!
You can use the music box prior to his transformation. However it does make father g transform faster. And you can use it multiple times iirc. Just it doesn't stun him in the middle of an attack. After an attack he will be stunned if you have time to play the music box since he is aggressive and can interrupt you playing it.

Veelk

Banned
I asked this before, but I forgot the answer. How important will it be to play the dark souls games in order? I know that the storytelling of the souls series means I won't actually be lost more than if I wasn't paying attention to the hidden lore, but all the same, will I be missing part of the experience without seeing the world of dark souls 1 before 2?

Like, given absolute freedom of choice, which should I tackle first?

Also, how much are people expecting a demons souls HD remake to show up? There was a tease a while back, but what are people thinking now?

I asked this before, but I forgot the answer. How important will it be to play the dark souls games in order? I know that the storytelling of the souls series means I won't actually be lost more than if I wasn't paying attention to the hidden lore, but all the same, will I be missing part of the experience without seeing the world of dark souls 1 before 2?

Also, how much are people expecting a demons souls HD remake to show up? There was a tease a while back, but what are people thinking now?
In the ideal situation I would tackle the Souls games in order, simply from a gameplay perspective - nothing to do with story at all. They are all still very playable and hold up extremely well, but as the series goes on the mechanics change and tighten etc (well maybe just change in DS2, not tighten... *cough!*). Demon's is standalone story-wise, but playing DS1 after Demon's you will see a lot of similarities and re-used character types, it's fun to see how they used the same ideas in a different way.

We don't fully know what's in DS3, but it's unlikely you're going to miss out on anything major by not playing the previous 2 games, but in the same way there are bound to be nods to the first two games, and they have said it's the last in the Dark series, so there's bound to be some story closure (and of course some unclosure).

It is, but you'll get there. Get behind her and give her a swipe. When she jumps, don't move. Charge an R2 and her head will land directly behind you. Hit her with that R2, then roll between her legs to get behind her and repeat.

I don't even come close....
one casual backhand swing from her and I'm toast...
Even though I was dodging like hell. I hardly get a single hit in.

I'm almost ready to give up on the game -.-
It's so frustrating. Coop partners are hardly helping either as they all die as quickly as me.

It's no fun I have no chance.

Just regular old Amygdala? In the nightmare frontier?

I didn't have much trouble with that boss as I recall. I used a repeater with bone marrow ash. If you shoot her in the head and do enough damage, you'll stun her. I kept my distance and just kept shooting, using as many blood bullets as I could.

She'll also do attacks with brings her head really low to the ground, which is when I run in and give her a few good smacks.

Just regular old Amygdala? In the nightmare frontier?

I didn't have much trouble with that boss as I recall. I used a repeater with bone marrow ash. If you shoot her in the head and do enough damage, you'll stun her. I kept my distance and just kept shooting, using as many blood bullets as I could.

She'll also do attacks with brings her head really low to the ground, which is when I run in and give her a few good smacks.

Na, in the chalice dungeon.
The regular one I had no trouble with either. Not sure what the problem is...

I would recommend playing dark souls 1 and 2 if you have a chance since they are great games. IMO they play pretty way still. Def on PC with dsfix and they can be cheap due to steam sales.

Wait A second demons souls HD was tease?

Dark Souls 1 is like the bible of the story, the game tells you the core and basis of the whole reason behind the game series, so you need to do two runs lorewise to understand the whole situation, one with Framp (the normal run mostly everyone does) and the second with Kathee (joining the darkwraith covenant and place the lord vessel there)

Dark Souls 2 is like retelling the story in the eyes of another dev team, much convulted lore but they took some important basis on that lore for DS3

I never played Demon so I am eager to play a possible remaster

Veelk

Banned
I would recommend playing dark souls 1 and 2 if you have a chance since they are great games. IMO they play pretty way still. Def on PC with dsfix and they can be cheap due to steam sales.

Wait A second demons souls HD was tease?

I have DS1 on PC, just don't have a PC that can handle it. I've been meaning to upgrade forever, so it seems ideal.

I'll get DS2 on PS4. And I have Demons Souls on PS3 that I haven't played, but I'll totally jump on it again if they release it on PS4.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/demon-s-souls-ps4-remaster-teased/0159722

It might not have been anything though. And I don't know how soon it will come out. Certainly not within the next 7 months, since DS3 is coming out in March (RIGHT BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY TOO!)

I have DS1 on PC, just don't have a PC that can handle it. I've been meaning to upgrade forever, so it seems ideal.

I'll get DS2 on PS4. And I have Demons Souls on PS3 that I haven't played, but I'll totally jump on it again if they release it on PS4.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/demon-s-souls-ps4-remaster-teased/0159722

It might not have been anything though. And I don't know how soon it will come out. Certainly not within the next 7 months, since DS3 is coming out in March (RIGHT BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY TOO!)
Demons is so much fun. Last time I played Demons Souls I noticed a good amount of similarities between that and Bloodborne. Just learn how to play with 75% of your health and you'll be fine. Pay very close attention to your equip burden and make sure you can always fast roll. Fashion Souls in that game is pretty much a game within a game.
Dark Souls 1 is like the bible of the story, the game tells you the core and basis of the whole reason behind the game series, so you need to do two runs lorewise to understand the whole situation, one with Framp (the normal run mostly everyone does) and the second with Kathee (joining the darkwraith covenant and place the lord vessel there)

Dark Souls 2 is like retelling the story in the eyes of another dev team, much convulted lore but they took some important basis on that lore for DS3

I never played Demon so I am eager to play a possible remaster
Go play Demons already, it still has some of the creepier enemies and there are no sun bros in that game.

myco666

That was you? You got some serious nerves of steel! :D

It's more like a BT/SKL split, majoring in BT. Something like 36/25 at the moment, though BT might be a little higher. I wanted to make the most out of the Evelyn/Bowblade/Chikage combo. I realise that splitting my damage like that isn't optimal and it's made a few areas a struggle, but having that extra SKL means its normal mode (and the Bowblade's) is a viable option, especially when I'm low on health. I'm not keen on relying solely on the Chikage's transformed state (nor am I brave enough!). I tend to use the transformed mode mid combo and then switch back for the last hit - minimal self-inflicted damage that way! Once I get into NG+, I foresee (hopefully) this all paying off, especially when I finally get BT to 50.

I wish I had nerves of steel like Lobos though haha.

Splitting points between Skill and BT is good so that the other mode isn't completely useless. Get that BT up to 50 so that you get most out of Chikage. You should use it so that you press L1 right before you are starting to attack since the R1 after that deals lot of damage and then slash few times and transform it back. Or at least that is how I got most out of it but definitely transform it back to normal mode everytime you are not attacking.

Playing through NG+ and clearing any optional areas/bosses I missed.

E
brietas
down. Encountered her the first go around and hit a wall. Decided I'd push on in the main quest and come back to her, except I accidentally beat the game. She's been on my mind ever since and beating her now was so god damn gratifying.

Also C
astle Cainhurst
has vaulted to the top of the list in terms of favorite area. The atmosphere within is incredible and the trek across the rooftops leading up to M
artyr Logarius
was great
as well as the surprise after the fight

DLC is next.

It's so frustrating. Coop partners are hardly helping either as they all die as quickly as me.

Take a look at this video, this is the strategy I was talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uYl5afN2cI

Just hang out behind her until she jumps again (I usually give her one swipe, then she jumps).

Once you get the hang of this strategy it makes the fight way easier. After you get your charged R2 in immediately get behind her to safety.

Joei

A couple different things you can do with the Amy fight. First, I'd suggest strafing to the left when you can, second, if you're going to hang out by her legs, there's two big attacks you should watch out for, the leg stomp or the arm flail thing. If she does the leg stomp, wait for that back arm to come back down and hit it, you won't do any damage attacking the legs so don't bother, just get the timing down for that arm drop. The tactic I eventually used was staying in front of her and after an attack when I had an opening, I'd charge in and do an L2 attack to the head with the Ludwig. I had much better success with that than with the leg stomp method. When she hits 30% healthy that's when I had the most trouble. What she does though is jump forward, so as she jumps roll towards her back legs. The hardest part with this fight is getting the timing down since one or two hits will usually kill you. I think I tried for about 3-4 hours on this fight.

Soulhouf

You can safely upgrade your weapon to +6. There is no reason to not do so since those upgrade materials are abundant.
Starting from +7 is where you need to think before upgrading your weapons.

Top Bottom