• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Soulhouf

So I buy the saw and upgrade it instead of using my Cane?

Yep.
Saw Cleaver is more effective especially if you don't invest in SKL stat.
The Cane is great. I love that weapon but it's for more advanced players and let's be fair, as long as you don't increase your skill it's difficult to go far using it.

@iRAWRasaurus: congrat! I had it in my cart for a while with the Berserk one but I was broke so I couldn't justify the price.

grmlin

I even killed gascoigne in one sitting too lol.

I had to seek help from a friend the first time to kill him, was overwhelmingly hard for me.
So I died 5 times now and I still did not kill him lol.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong but backstabbing his beast mode fails every time and he kills me with one combo then. Strange.
He gets stunned by that music box in such weird positions every time. Make it 6 deaths.

Raptor

So I died 5 times now and I still did not kill him lol.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong but backstabbing his beast mode fails every time and he kills me with one combo then. Strange.

Dont use the tiny music box at all, and instead go toe to toe with him parrying him as much and viscerals as much as you can, hopefully by the time he transforms he will have 1/4 of his lifebar, at that point it will be a hide and seek for him and you running upstairs and going back dont lose sight of him and parry his ass, in this form is best to use that tiny music box though so you can have a window of opportunity and strike him as much as you can.

I hate this fight so much because he is just so fast and follows you relentlessly.

Melchiah

Dont use the tiny music box at all, and instead go toe to toe with him parrying him as much and viscerals as much as you can, hopefully by the time he transforms he will have 1/4 of his lifebar, at that point it will be a hide and seek for him and you running upstairs and going back dont lose sight of him and parry his ass, in this form is best to use that tiny music box though so you can have a window of opportunity and strike him as much as you can.

I hate this fight so much because he is just so fast and follows you relentlessly.

The easiest and quickest method for the 3rd form is to run up the stairs, where you have more room to evade, and use the parry & visceral combo to beat him.

Here's how I did it at level 17:
https://youtu.be/AaqgdS4WFm0

grmlin

I tried it without the music rolling into his attacks. Worked flawlessly. Thanks 😀

Where does one acquire that beautiful figure?
Here is a link for the normal edition and here is a link for the Puddle of Blood edition. Some sites are already sold out so if you are interested in buying one, might want to hurry.
Yep.
Saw Cleaver is more effective especially if you don't invest in SKL stat.
The Cane is great. I love that weapon but it's for more advanced players and let's be fair, as long as you don't increase your skill it's difficult to go far using it.

@iRAWRasaurus: congrat! I had it in my cart for a while with the Berserk one but I was broke so I couldn't justify the price.
I dont blame you, it was hard to justify the price as well. Just gotta cut back on a few things over the next few months..

Daante

Up to over 30 tries now on Orphan of Kos.

Made some great progress, but still feel its kinda chaotic and hard to read him in his second phase.

Lvl 115
Vit 38
Str 40
Skill 25
Arc 22

Wep: +10 saw cleaver or +9 moonlight sword

Any tips?

Up to over 30 tries now on Orphan of Kos.

Made some great progress, but still feel its kinda chaotic and hard to read him in his second phase.

Lvl 115
Vit 38
Str 40
Skill 25
Arc 22

Wep: +10 saw cleaver or +9 moonlight sword

Any tips?

I win that by being super aggressive. Dodge in all the time and treat it as a damage race. Gotta kill him before I run out of healing.

ecosse_011172

I completed the game a while back with an arcane/skill build.
Now I've purchased the DLC but sadly my completed save disappeared, no idea how.

I started a new character, just got past the Cleric Beast, thinking about going for a Bloodtinge build.
What should I concentrate on levelling up and which weapons are best for this build?
Or should I just go for a strength build or something?

Soulhouf

I completed the game a while back with an arcane/skill build.
Now I've purchased the DLC but sadly my completed save disappeared, no idea how.

I started a new character, just got past the Cleric Beast, thinking about going for a Bloodtinge build.
What should I concentrate on levelling up and which weapons are best for this build?
Or should I just go for a strength build or something?

There is a discussion about Bloodtinge build that started page 338.

TL;DR: you need to access Cainhurst ASAP to get the Chikage and Evelyn. Since before that you don't have access to any BT weapon, upgrade the Saw Cleaver and put all your points into VIT and END.
Once you get the Chikage, increase your BT and put only the required points into SKL/STR.
In the DLC there are 2 other good BT weapons. One is an alternative to the Chikage and the other is a right hand weapon for ranged damage.

Just got my Bloodborne 1/6 Puddle of Blood figure :3
2016-02-20.jpg

The best waste of money I have ever spent.
This is awesome. I need something to spice up my room lol.

Man, I cannot get over the soundtrack of this game. Literally the best soundtrack From Software has produced to date; nearly each track can stand alone for greatness and I'm always impressed. I'm stuck on Laurence but his soundtrack is fantastic so I don't even care about the death counts. This game...

ecosse_011172

There is a discussion about Bloodtinge build that started page 338.

TL;DR: you need to access Cainhurst ASAP to get the Chikage and Evelyn. Since before that you don't have access to any BT weapon, upgrade the Saw Cleaver and put all your points into VIT and END.
Once you get the Chikage, increase your BT and put only the required points into SKL/STR.
In the DLC there are 2 other good BT weapons. One is an alternative to the Chikage and the other is a right hand weapon for ranged damage.

That's brilliant help, thank you so much.

mstevens

Haven't played the game since I finished the DLC... but my friend wanted to try it tonight so I made a new character real quick to familiarize myself with the beginning area. Ended up getting to Cleric Beast and one shotting him without leveling :) Isn't a big deal I know since I did everything else, but I remember my first go-around having to level up and having much more trouble. Was fun to just demolish him.

I used the saw cleaver and did mostly STR last game. Any suggestions for a fun weapon/build to mix it up this time around?

Haven't played the game since I finished the DLC... but my friend wanted to try it tonight so I made a new character real quick to familiarize myself with the beginning area. Ended up getting to Cleric Beast and one shotting him without leveling :) Isn't a big deal I know since I did everything else, but I remember my first go-around having to level up and having much more trouble. Was fun to just demolish him.

I used the saw cleaver and did mostly STR last game. Any suggestions for a fun weapon/build to mix it up this time around?

Arcane , you can rush to the DLC to get the boom hammer and use the flamethrower as a gun

Bloodtinge is also a pretty fun build as well. Arcane is well, interesting.

Dahbomb

Not punishing, just disempowering. Or, unempowering, if you prefer. Which, again, I understand is the theme of the game, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. And the amount of grinding I'd have to do to max out everything is nothing short of absurd. That it's technically possible doesn't make it reasonably doable. If those are the conditions, I am effectively locked out.

Like I said, this isn't a criticism in the sense of "The game fucked up" or "this was the wrong decision" but rather "It's a design philosophy I am fundamentally dislike"
Getting materials later on in Chalice dungeons becomes way easier. Right now you have scarce resources and need to use them wisely but after awhile you are swimming in Twin Blood Shards, Chunks and Echoes.

Caja 117

I decided to put more time on the game, as I was stuck for a while with getting to the witch where you get the rune workshop item, got to pass it, later on ill put in my build numbers, but my main weapin in the hunter ax, have it right now at +7i believe.

How do I trigger the fight between Eileen and Henryk? I went back to the place where I beat Father Gasgione and Henryk isn't there.

Did you talk to Eileen outside Cathedral ward? You need to open the gates to get her to show up. Talk to her then head back to the graveyard from Cathedral ward lamppost (might have to reload into the lamppost) to see the fight between Eileen and Henryk.

Did you talk to Eileen outside Cathedral ward? You need to open the gates to get her to show up. Talk to her then head back to the graveyard from Cathedral ward lamppost (might have to reload into the lamppost) to see the fight between Eileen and Henryk.

I'll have to go back and check. It's been a few months since I first visited the Cathedral Ward. I put the game down for a little while and came back to it recently. I've beaten the Blood Starved Beast, Vicar Amelia, The Witch of Hemwick, and The Shadow Of Yharnam since then so I'm wondering if maybe I missed the opportunity to fight Henryk. I'll have to look around the Cathedral Ward when I get home.

I'll have to go back and check. It's been a few months since I first visited the Cathedral Ward. I put the game down for a little while and came back to it recently. I've beaten the Blood Starved Beast, Vicar Amelia, The Witch of Hemwick, and The Shadow Of Yharnam since then so I'm wondering if maybe I missed the opportunity to fight Henryk. I'll have to look around the Cathedral Ward when I get home.

Yeah you missed it. Its either killing Vicar or entering the Forbidden Woods that cause you to miss the event. The next time you see Eileen will be during the pale blood moon in the Grand Cathedral as a hostile hunter.

Veelk

Banned
Getting materials later on in Chalice dungeons becomes way easier. Right now you have scarce resources and need to use them wisely but after awhile you are swimming in Twin Blood Shards, Chunks and Echoes.

That's already kinda happed, atleast up to the twin blood shards bit. I have more small blood shards than I know what to do with.

But it's never going to be to the point I want it. Like, if I had it my way, I'd get all my stats up to 50 before the last maybe 20% of the game. But that would require me being around level 200. Is there going to be a point where I am raking in 200,000 blood echoes by the minutes? Because that's what would be necessary for me to have the game's entire arsenal open up to me in a way I could actually use it.

I might go to the chalice dungeons to get better gems. I have these cursed ones that I don't want to give up because they up my attack by a lot, but this drain on my health is getting super annoying.

Anyway, I've finally hit my second wall after Gascoigne and it's Logarius. I feel I've actually figured out how to beat him, but it's difficult not to slip up because he's so goddamn aggressive. Having fun though.

Yeah you missed it. Its either killing Vicar or entering the Forbidden Woods that cause you to miss the event. The next time you see Eileen will be during the pale blood moon in the Grand Cathedral as a hostile hunter.

Oh well, just gives me an excuse to play through again after I'm finished 😎

As a first-timer through this game, should I be leveling my Bloodtinge or Arcane stats at all? Bloodtinge seems unnecessary. Why would I want to increase the damage of the blunderbuss when it's primary function is a parry mechanic? As for Arcane, I don't really understand what that does.

Also, I beat the Blood-starved Beast in my first try! I was expecting a lot worse considering that thread that popped up awhile back. Gonna finish off any outstanding quests in Cathedral Ward/Old Yharnam before going any further. Loving the game so far!

Melchiah

As a first-timer through this game, should I be leveling my Bloodtinge or Arcane stats at all? Bloodtinge seems unnecessary. Why would I want to increase the damage of the blunderbuss when it's primary function is a parry mechanic? As for Arcane, I don't really understand what that does.

There's no need to level up Bloodtinge and Arcane, if you aren't using those type of weapons. The same goes for Blunderbuss. It's a different matter, if you're making a Bloodtinge character, and using something like Evelyn for a gun. Arcane increases item discovery rate, and enables you to use the Hunter Tools.

gogosox82

Killed the shadows of yharnam on my first try.

:O

Got my chikage ok whats the trick? L1 R1 R1 L1?

Go into to tricked mode and spam r1 for a few seconds and then go back to normal mode. Also pump your bloodtinge to 40 or 50. If your not going to do that, then its honestly not worth it. You'll do more damage with the cane or blades of mercy.

Raptor

Go into to tricked mode and spam r1 for a few seconds and then go back to normal mode. Also pump your bloodtinge to 40 or 50. If your not going to do that, then its honestly not worth it. You'll do more damage with the cane or blades of mercy.
Yep from now on it will be puré bloodtinge leveling.

xinek

Just beat
Maria
. It is all thanks to cooperator. I went in with a buddy, and we were doing good work, although I was barely keeping up. Then, another confederate stepped through the fog! This game.

Also just realized that I've been playing with the music off. Now to go do jolly co-op on all the bosses in the DLC... got to hear those songs.

(BTW -- I did get a vermin as the beckoner, I think there was some discussion about whether you did.)

(2nd edit: just joined someone for their fight -- my former confederate was helping too! *sniff* ... this game...)

I spoke with Eileen and she mentioned having a bone to pick with Henryk. So like an idiot, I just watched them duke it out (I didn't know that I was supposed to take part in the battle). Eileen got slaughtered and now I can't take out Henryk myself, haha. Hope I didn't miss out on too much cool stuff by having Eileen's questline ended early.

Veelk

Banned
Is there any point to the game not giving us a lamp before boss fights?

The boss fight with Logarious is still going hard, but the thing that annoys me is whole area I have to trek backward through for no reason. I can run past pretty much every enemy except that one that carries the candle holder thing that blows darts at me, but she doesn't do any real damage, though enough that (combined with my health drain gem) I have to stop and use up a health vial every time I get to the good Martyr.

There is no point to this. It's just 2 minutes that I have to waste to get to the point where I repeat what I need to get.

You can get like 90K Echoes in a couple of minutes on Mergo's Loft + Vials. On NG+ the rate is even higher.

Late game stage so spoilers.

I guess we'll just have to see how things end up, because I have someone else telling me that it's not realistic to get your level that high on your first playthrough.

The boss fight with Logarious is still going hard, but the thing that annoys me is whole area I have to trek backward through for no reason. I can run past pretty much every enemy except that one that carries the candle holder thing that blows darts at me, but she doesn't do any real damage, though enough that (combined with my health drain gem) I have to stop and use up a health vial every time I get to the good Martyr.

There is no point to this. It's just 2 minutes that I have to waste to get to the point where I repeat what I need to get.

I guess we'll just have to see how things end up, because I have someone else telling me that it's not realistic to get your level that high on your first playthrough.

Most bosses has a reasonably near shortcut, but yeah Lorgarius is one of the few that is too far away.

Don't get me started on that blow gun mother fucker. LOL.

You also take a bit of damage each time you drop down before that ladder which would occasionally piss me off.

Veelk

Banned
So, I like to think I focus on the important aspects about this game. Especially at times like these, when I'm struggling against a very tough enemy.

The good thing about being stuck on a boss is that you have a lot of time to think, and reflect. And I put that time toward the most important aspect of the fight against Logarius. I wanted to have good final words for when I finally beat him.

And I just did. He died with the thrust of my reiterpallasch through his chest, knowing the cause he sacrificed his life and dedicated his undeath to would now be in my hands. And as he looked into my eyes for the last time, moaning his final moan, I whispered "You..." I pull out my weapon and turn around, gazing over the snowy roof top. "just got iced."

So, I like to think I focus on the important aspects about this game. Especially at times like these, when I'm struggling against a very tough enemy.

The good thing about being stuck on a boss is that you have a lot of time to think, and reflect. And I put that time toward the most important aspect of the fight against Logarius. I wanted to have good final words for when I finally beat him.

And I just did. He died with the thrust of my reiterpallasch through his chest, knowing the cause he sacrificed his life and dedicated his undeath to would now be in my hands. And as he looked into my eyes for the last time, moaning his final moan, I whispered "You..." I pull out my weapon and turn around, gazing over the snowy roof top. "just got iced."
p.s put on his crown and walk towards the wall behind his chair.

nicely done btw :p

This 3 hunters are pissing me off.
Unseen Village? It's easy. Sneak in back stab the first guy, run out wait for them to deaggro, sneak back in, backstab him again, run out, run back to the lantern room, kill cane due by attacking him through the wall, go back in and then kill the rifle spear guy and then you're done.

Top Bottom