• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Not a fan of Loran Darkbeast whatsoever, doesn't feel like I'm getting close at all. Shit boss.
Are you locking on? I would suggest not to.

One thing I didn't know for awhile is that you can roll through the charge blast. If you're able to do that you can get a few more hits in afterwards since you can be right next to it and roll through it instead of running away to avoid it.

myco666

I had done so much chalice dungeons, and I just saw for the first time a boss arena with a giant hole in the center.

That arena is the best. I always try to throw Pthumerian Elder/ Descendant into the pit but have yet to succeed. Don't even know if it is possible though since you can't do that to Logarius either.

Soulhouf

I had done so much chalice dungeons, and I just saw for the first time a boss arena with a giant hole in the center.

where you can fall to your death? I think I saw that but only once.
I also did a lot of chalices. I have 6 characters and 4 of them went through all the main chalices and some root ones.

Ferr986

That arena is the best. I always try to throw Pthumerian Elder/ Descendant into the pit but have yet to succeed. Don't even know if it is possible though since you can't do that to Logarius either.

where you can fall to your death? I think I saw that but only once.
I also did a lot of chalices. I have 6 characters and 4 of them went through all the main chalices and some root ones.

I got Bloodletting Beast. Motherfucked always avoided the hole so I don't think you can make him fall down.

I don't even try to time my parries correctly in that fight. Just spam that L2 till he drops on his knees.

Haha have fun with that. I would probably die so many times from rolling off the edge like with Maneaters.
Oh god Maneaters. I tried to fight them legit once, got fucked up and just spammed the first one by just shooting him through the fog door with arrows, fuck that battle.

myco666

Oh god Maneaters. I tried to fight them legit once, got fucked up and just spammed the first one by just shooting him through the fog door with arrows, fuck that battle.

Oh yeah you could do that. Never tried it and managed to beat them legit. That bridge is way too narrow though.

Philippo

Any tips for Laurence (in NG+)?

It does a shiton of damage, and i still fall for the swipes with his shorter arm every time i try to get closer.

Also, that 2nd form is really trick, i really don't know from which side attack him.

Any tips for Laurence (in NG+)?

It does a shiton of damage, and i still fall for the swipes with his shorter arm every time i try to get closer.

Also, that 2nd form is really trick, i really don't know from which side attack him.

High Vit and Physical resist gear can help you a lot, second form you have to bail all his attacks until he gets tired and attack on his right side then bail his attacks again

myco666

That and they're not easy. I think I got close once and got charged from behind and killed while on the ground I think.

I found the Maneaters themselves rather easy to deal with but the arena caused problems as I always dropped off either from rolling in wrong direction or getting knocked down. Glad that Bloodborne doesn't have anything like that.

I found the Maneaters themselves rather easy to deal with but the arena caused problems as I always dropped off either from rolling in wrong direction or getting knocked down. Glad that Bloodborne doesn't have anything like that.
I always get nervous during that fight so that can't help matters either.

Are you talking about the big pig boss? In spanish they are called the antropophagus boars

Those guys are pretty easy if you keep atacking their sides but pretty hard if you atack them in front or behind with those instant turns and charges

Soulhouf

Amygdala down lv4 \o/
I was well prepared for this since I fought this boss so many times in the Defiled Chalice lol

CcadRQpXIAE9355.jpg:orig

Only Micolash, Mergo's, Ebrietas and Logarius to go for the main game!
I'm starting to renounce on doing the DLC and the Chalices lv4. It would be a nightmare. Finishing the main game including the optional bosses is an achievement already I guess.

Amygdala down lv4 \o/
I was well prepared for this since I fought this boss so many times in the Defiled Chalice lol

I'm starting to renounce on doing the DLC and the Chalices lv4. It would be a nightmare. Finishing the main game including the optional bosses is an achievement already I guess.

DO the DLC before Mergo if you can

Amygdala down lv4 o/

Don't back out now, lol!

I am missing stuff to do the defiled dungeon or else I'd do that. But I need dem blood rocks.

You get one insight when you help a player kill a boss, and I personally find that more fun (and probably faster). Just pick a boss you can kill reasonably easily by yourself (but not so easy that people will never summon help).

Just tell me this: how do I avoid interacting with gehrman before I finish off the DLC? Like, does it automatically transport me to him once I kill the wet nurse?

You have to actively look for him, he's behind the garden door that's locked for the rest of the game.

FUCK

I killed Arianna.

I wanted to only kill the demon infant but I accidentally hit her.

Fuck.

Edit: I got her shoes, which read as "Innocent and cute, in contrast with its owner." Wtf, bloodborne, did you have it in for this women? Why you throwing shade?

You can't not kill her if you kill her baby. Also, it's implied that even if you don't, she'll either die anyway or turn insane. BB is that kind of game (people bitching that it's not Lovecraft because your main character is victorious tend to overlook many things and NPCs' inevitable fates are just some of them).

And yeah, Arianna was by far my favorite NPC alongside the original Iosefka, she's so friendly and selfless. I take the shoes to be a reference to her profession more than herself, but the game is never exactly flattering to any character...

I have one question, even after defeating The Vacuous spider, can I still go to Caenhurst?

Yes, you can go to all optional areas at any point up to the end of the game (which kicks you into New Game Plus). With the partial exception of Hypogean Gaol, which you can access early and later on changes quite a bit.

Raptor

Finished the game at level 115 got the secret ending too, badass fight.

I got help with OoK dude was too much got help by two hunters and one got killed and I barely made it. Was insane.

The most amounts of deaths is definitly trying to get the Rakuyo got killed probably 40 times there or more, damn sharks are harder than main bosses god damn.

Can I get the all weapons trophy on ng+?

Finished the game at level 115 got the secret ending too, badass fight.

I got help with OoK dude was too much got help by two hunters and one got killed and I barely made it. Was insane.

The most amounts of deaths is definitly trying to get the Rakuyo got killed probably 40 times there or more, damn sharks are harder than main bosses god damn.

Can I get the all weapons trophy on ng+?
As long as the only weapon you need is the Burial Blade, unless you're missing a dlc weapon. Either way yes, but I wouldn't go through NG+ dlc unless I fucking needed to for a specific weapon

Veelk

Banned
So I just found out that you switch types of dungeons by going hitting the side directions as well as up and down. I thought I missed some chalice somewhere and didn't feel like digging, but I actually just didn't realize how to access it.

I also just lost 200,000 echoes. I can make those back fairly easily at Mergo's loft, inside 15 minutes, but nope, still not happy when it happens. I definitely care a lot less than I would early on in the game(probably specifically because Mergo's Loft is there to replenish me, or else that wouldn't be the case), but I think I just have a significantly different playstyle philosophy than most people here for you guys to not care about losing them at all. The only time I'm not gonna care is when I have nothing left to buy.

Also, is there any way to make your items refill from storage like vials and bullets do? I have lots of bone dust but I don't like how I have to go restock every time I run out.

Dmax3901

Are you locking on? I would suggest not to.

One thing I didn't know for awhile is that you can roll through the charge blast. If you're able to do that you can get a few more hits in afterwards since you can be right next to it and roll through it instead of running away to avoid it.

Tried locking on and no locking on. Didn't know you could roll through that shitty attack. Thanks! Anything else?

So I just found out that you switch types of dungeons by going hitting the side directions as well as up and down. I thought I missed some chalice somewhere and didn't feel like digging, but I actually just didn't realize how to access it.

I also just lost 200,000 echoes. I can make those back fairly easily at Mergo's loft, inside 15 minutes, but nope, still not happy when it happens. I definitely care a lot less than I would early on in the game(probably specifically because Mergo's Loft is there to replenish me, or else that wouldn't be the case), but I think I just have a significantly different playstyle philosophy than most people here for you guys to not care about losing them at all. The only time I'm not gonna care is when I have nothing left to buy.

Also, is there any way to make your items refill from storage like vials and bullets do? I have lots of bone dust but I don't like how I have to go restock every time I run out.
I usually try going into new dungeons empty. I'll do one part, warp back and spend them, second part, warp back and warp back before I fight the boss.

Veelk

Banned
I usually try going into new dungeons empty. I'll do one part, warp back and spend them, second part, warp back and warp back before I fight the boss.
Oh, I did that, I just messed up a different part. Pure carelessness, easily avoidable mistake that I could have worked around totally my fault. But that doesn't matter much to me, because I just don't like that it happens, not any particular way it happens.

Oh, I did that, I just messed up a different part. Pure carelessness, easily avoidable mistake that I could have worked around totally my fault. But that doesn't matter much to me, because I just don't like that it happens, not any particular way it happens.
You think that's bad then do a high level root dungeon where the Witches of Hemwick are a random enemy and their minions will spawn in infinitely till you kill the the witch.

Veelk

Banned
You think that's bad then do a high level root dungeon where the Witches of Hemwick are a random enemy and their minions will spawn in infinitely till you kill the the witch.

Bah. I'm already sick of the dungeon's constant "Find the Chime Maiden!" sections.

They're more tolerable when spaced out, I know, but I can't get over how overly long and unspired they are. Go through tunnels, clear out same enemies you've seen a thousand times, pull level, face 3 bosses....it's boring. The only interesting part is the unique bosses, and they've pulled a drag shoot on that by having them repeat now. Atleast it was cool when I could look forward to a new boss, now it's just "oh, yay, I'm facing down the blood letting beast. Again."

And I still say it's harmful to the mythos to have Great Ones as repeated enemies here. It makes it's presence an extended mode blatant when it's disguised itself as an extension of Yharnam's teleportation dungeons. But you can't have multiple Great Ones of the same kind running around, and they certainly can't be kept in a dungeon like that. It makes no sense that they hang around there.

taybul

He can be parried in that second phase, and don't forget to attack the sword thingy that he sets down.

Can be but only if you visceral or attack him enough when he kneels over to activate his buff. If you don't he doesn't flinch on attacks and bullets go around him. Also while he can be parried, I wouldn't focus on that as a strategy, he's still pretty fast. I would recommend just dodging his attacks and attacking. Also when he plants his sword you can fire at it to make it go away.

Jonnax

I avoided this game because I kept hearing about how difficult and punishing it was thinking it would be like one of those old school RPGs where you lose 3 hours progress for dying.

Instead I'm greeted with excellence. Just beaten Father Gascoigne and the Cleric Beast and the game has me hooked.

I'm loving how everything feels like it's possible to figure out with a really nice amount of discovery.

grmlin

At first I thought, too, that loosing blood echoes will be the worst when dying. Instead it's a perfect way to force you into a careful playstyle and you'll learn the enemies. It's sometimes thrilling and, even if you loose your echoes, it's not the end of the world.
Loading a save game is boring if you compare it to this mechanic. And that feeling when you fought you way to the shortcut after many tries, so good.

BTW: lecture building 1st floor farming students with tiny tonitrus is ridiculous. Is there a better spot to farm echoes this fast in the game?

Soulhouf

I think the difference is that many people who play these games make specific builds and stop at lv100 or 120.
All my maxed out characters i.e. lv100 (I have 5 of them) have millions of blood echoes on them and I don't even farm at all. I loose everything from time to time but why should-I care?
1- I maxed out my build
2- I have all the items I wanted
3- I get a lot of echoes without even asking for them
4- When you die, you don't loose your insight. That would've been the only concern if it was the case (Dark Souls say hi!)

At this point even when I die against a boss, I don't bother getting my echoes back.

Don't back out now, lol!
Something is telling me this is going to be too tedious.

Veelk

Banned
I think the difference is that many people who play these games make specific builds and stop at lv100 or 120.
All my maxed out characters i.e. lv100 (I have 5 of them) have millions of blood echoes on them and I don't even farm at all. I loose everything from time to time but why should-I care?
1- I maxed out my build
2- I have all the items I wanted
3- I get a lot of echoes without even asking for them
4- When you die, you don't loose your insight. That would've been the only concern if it was the case (Dark Souls say hi!)

At this point even when I die against a boss, I don't bother getting my echoes back.

Yeah, but that seems like it would take much longer to do than what I'm doing. You have to play the game 4 times all the way through, including the DLC, to get what you want, one for each stat. What if I want to use the Moonlight Sword? Well, I'll need a build that focus' on strength and arcane, which my skill character doesn't. That is HOURS of investment if your goal is to use that one weapon.

I want to be able to equip an weapon and just use it. And yeah, grinding to bring each stat up to 50 might take a long time, but I don't see myself as better off if I start a new game and work my way up from there. Plus I'd have to reinvest all my echoes into health and endurance, again if I did that, so there is some redundancy along the way here.

Ultimately we both are talking about the same thing: Playing the game. We both want to experience everything the game has to offer. But I don't see making a new character as an effective way to do that. I feel telling the player to play the whole game anew just so they can use other weapons is kind of awful. I also feel having this unreasonable grind to get those new weapons isn't that great either, but I find it preferable to starting the whole game over again. But really, I wish the game would just let me multiclass without being so pointlessly demanding about it. It'd need some adjustment in terms of scaling, but I don't see why the game can't just let you use anything you want.

Edit: Also, how early can you get Simon's Bowblade without killing him off early on? Before or after Rakuyo?

Raptor

The only weapon I will say that From was pure evil in what we haev to do to get is the Rakuyo, damn thing took me like 4 hours and more than 40 deaths to get, the Shark Giants to me are easily the hardest enemies in the game, including bosses.

I dont see myself making a build for that weapon unless some OP character coop with me to that well and kill those bastards for me.

What do you think Soulhouf? wanna help me getting that weapon early on?

:p

Soulhouf

Yeah, but that seems like it would take much longer to do than what I'm doing. You have to play the game 4 times all the way through, including the DLC, to get what you want, one for each stat. What if I want to use the Moonlight Sword? Well, I'll need a build that focus' on strength and arcane, which my skill character doesn't. That is HOURS of investment if your goal is to use that one weapon.

I want to be able to equip an weapon and just use it. And yeah, grinding to bring each stat up to 50 might take a long time, but I don't see myself as better off if I start a new game and work my way up from there. Plus I'd have to reinvest all my echoes into health and endurance, again if I did that, so there is some redundancy along the way here.

Ultimately we both are talking about the same thing: Playing the game. We both want to experience everything the game has to offer. But I don't see making a new character as an effective way to do that. I feel telling the player to play the whole game anew just so they can use other weapons is kind of awful. I also feel having this unreasonable grind to get those new weapons isn't that great either, but I find it preferable to starting the whole game over again. But really, I wish the game would just let me multiclass without being so pointlessly demanding about it. It'd need some adjustment in terms of scaling, but I don't see why the game can't just let you use anything you want.

It most definitely takes more time but it's a lot more enjoyable than grinding. You learn how to beat the entire game with a different play style each time.

I was like you first time I played Demon's Souls back in 2009 but once I discovered that going through the game again once you've already beaten it goes a lot faster. When I say lot faster I mean really a lot. Not to mention you learn new tricks each time which makes you better at the game and more efficient.

Now I reached the point where I'm able to beat these games without even leveling up and sometimes I find it easier than going through the game first time despite my low level because I gained the necessary knowledge by beating it multiple times.

I'm not saying you should play that way. Not every one has the time or the commitment to do that but it's definitely a more enjoyable way to do it.

The only weapon I will say that From was pure evil in what we haev to do to get is the Rakuyo, damn thing took me like 4 hours and more than 40 deaths to get, the Shark Giants to me are easily the hardest enemies in the game, including bosses.

I dont see myself making a build for that weapon unless some OP character coop with me to that well and kill those bastards for me.

What do you think Soulhouf? wanna help me getting that weapon early on?

:p

Sure. We can kick their asses whenever you want.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not saying you should play that way. Not every one has the time or the commitment to do that but it's definitely a more enjoyable way to do it.

I don't really agree, or atleast I don't think I do and I'm not willing to invest the time necessary to find out. Even a fast playthrough will need 12 hours to beat the game (according to a friend that has also played through it multiple times).

Besides, it's not like I'm not going to do what you do. I'm gonna play with a strength style, and an arcane and BT style. And given that the enemies hit harder and get more health in new playthroughs, even the fact that I'm leveled up beyond normal means won't matter eventually.

Assuming the game is still fun to play, I'll keep playing. The difference is when you want to try a new build or weapon (atleast if you were playing it for the first time like me and didn't have the 4 builds already maxed out), you're going to have to grind from the start again, while all I'll need to do is go to the menu and switch the weapon. That, imo, makes it worth it. 4 hours grinding already gave me a second Stat build. It will take more for the third. Only the fourth will really be a ridiculous time investment, but I might not bother with that. In the case of arcane, I just want to use moonlight sword. I'm. More okay with missing one weapons than all but a few.

Plus, I feel people are overselling the tedium of grinding. Sure, it's more tedious than going through the game as normal, but not much more if you already played through the game multiple times before, and the combat still being fun as it is means it doesn't get as old as, say, pokemon grinding.

Edit: oh, that's another thing. What about upgrading weapons? That's another think I have a fast trip to doing if I grind vs starting a new game.

Soulhouf

Now I remembered that I need to get pass every single boss even Maria to get there first lol.

God damn it, I dont know what build to try, any other OP build like the Chikage? Blade of Mercy?

Ludwig Holy Blade (quality build) is very powerful but I don't like it because it's too traditional weapon and I think it doesn't fit in Bloodborne's universe.

Blade of Mercy is pretty neat but I find it too rough. My favorite skill weapons are the Threaded Cane and Rakuyo. They are very complementary and powerful enough without being as button-mashy as BoM.

Chikage is the supreme weapon in this game but all the others are good depending on the play style you prefer. I always favor moveset to raw power but Chikage happened to have both.

Soulhouf

Edit: oh, that's another thing. What about upgrading weapons? That's another think I have a fast trip to doing if I grind vs starting a new game.

It's actually easier when you do multiple runs since you don't need to grind the rare materials that are blood chunks and rocks.

It's actually easier when you do multiple runs because you don't have to grind the rare materials such as blood chunks and rocks.
Yeah with the dlc you can +10 three weapons in a playthrough easily if you also have a lot of insight. I'd rather just do that then farm a bunch of stuff which isn't really too fun.

Veelk

Banned
It's actually easier when you do multiple runs since you don't need to grind the rare materials that are blood chunks and rocks.

Well, let's assume the twelve hour figure playthrough is right, though I know it would be more. You don't encounter those materials until way later in the game. So let's say a third into the game. That's 8 hours. And they give you enough blood rocks, assuming insight isn't lost on anything else, for maybe 2 weapons by my guess, though I would guess the figure is actually 1 because a lot of the insight is found in the optional areas that would add more time. And assuming you want a set for each class, that's 4 playthroughs. 24 hours, for 12 weapons.

Or assuming I'm starting from zero, I can grind at the upper cathedral werewolves pretty fast, I can probably get enough blood chucks with high discovery runes for a weapon, I'll probably get enough chunks inside a couple hours, maybe 3. For insight, I can run through depth one dungeons and bosses inside 15 minutes, giving me 12 insight each. So one blood rock every hour or so.

I think it looks like grinding is the faster way.

Tried locking on and no locking on. Didn't know you could roll through that shitty attack. Thanks! Anything else?
Stay under it and attack it's limbs. If you wound a limb enough it will fall and subsequent attacks to that limb do more damage.

What I do is fight without locking on and roll through the attacks to get under it and hack away at it's limbs. It will reposition to try to keep you in front of it and you will have to roll into it again without knowing exactly where it is because of the camera angle. Also after you stagger it, it will lose it's charge and back away to recharge. This is a good opportunity to attack that same limb or another limb to stagger it again.

Caja 117

Made it through Cainhurst Castle and am fighting the boss. I'm starting to notice his attack patterns but he's beaten me a few times. Any tips?

I just got to Cainhurst, And at the beginning was having problems with the giant fleas, ugh at the one that had her stomach full of blood, went inside and decided to attack the crying women cleaning, did that triggered the specter women? because they are now all over the place, and it seems their numbers don't get reduced no matter how many I kill.

I just got to Cainhurst, And at the beginning was having problems with the giant fleas, ugh at the one that had her stomach full of blood, went inside and decided to attack the crying women cleaning, did that triggered the specter women? because they are now all over the place, and it seems their numbers don't get reduced no matter how many I kill.
I usually just kill a few if I have to, but it's an area where you can just run passed the enemy easy enough. Only the headless ones can be deadly.

Top Bottom