• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

The Defiled Chalice dungeon just isn't fun at all.

What a complete piece of shit.
I think it's something I just got used to since I managed to beat the whole thing twice. It's really stressful, but I do enjoy having a full health bar after it's done...until you do a cursed and defiled root chalice.

Jito

Banned
I think it's something I just got used to since I managed to beat the whole thing twice. It's really stressful, but I do enjoy having a full health bar after it's done...until you do a cursed and defiled root chalice.

Trying to beat Watch Dog on layer 2 using beast claws is driving me to my limit, really want this trophy but can't be fucked with bosses and enemies all killing me in one hit anymore.

Trying to beat Watch Dog on layer 2 using beast claws is driving me to my limit, really want this trophy but can't be fucked with bosses and enemies all killing me in one hit anymore.
Oh my god that sounds hard. I've never used the beast claws for that thing. Threaded Cane is usually my go to weapon for him.

Am I missing something obvious in that gif? Like that design is still in the game but it is just not hanging around at the same place. I am feeling really blind as you guys are saying that doesn't exist in the final version of the game.

In general, I find the gif much more unsettling, precisely because it's almost background information that causes your imagination to go wild. In the final game, Amygdala doesn't have the dozens of eyes (which individually open and close) nor the facial tentacles.

myco666

In general, I find the gif much more unsettling, precisely because it's almost background information that causes your imagination to go wild. In the final game, Amygdala doesn't have the dozens of eyes (which individually open and close) nor the facial tentacles.

Just checked some pictures and yeah those eyes are missing though when Amydala does her laser beam those eyes seem to come up. Or at least something that looks like eyes. Lesser Amys definitely have those tentacles still intact. Like the one that warped you to Lecture Building.

Melchiah

Also, on another note, does this thing exist in the final version of Bloodborne?

tdLr9ie.gif

Such a cool-looking creature, but it looks like it was eventually retooled into Amygdala (minus the face tentacles and hanging out on a tower in Yharnam).

It's not lurking in the background exactly like that, but there are more than one of them, and they have the tentacles.

One of the screenshots I took from Yahar'gul:

EDIT:
Just checked some pictures and yeah those eyes are missing though when Amydala does her laser beam those eyes seem to come up. Or at least something that looks like eyes. Lesser Amys definitely have those tentacles still intact. Like the one that warped you to Lecture Building.

Yep.

Quick googling gave this image:
lSJEKjo.jpg

I had so much trouble on that Watchdog fight. I think it was probably the most annoying fight in the game for me. All of the others felt far less frustrating, even when I probably died more (e.g. OoK, chalice Amygdala).

Actually, maybe Logarius. I rage-quit a bunch with him.

Raptor

I'd use another weapon but I'm trying to do a beast claws play through, can't puss out now!

I decided to do a Beast Claw run myself, can you point me in the general direction to where to start searching and stuff?

Also tips in leveling.

There is another member here that says he can melt stuff with his beast claw and some other thing he has Beast Roar I think.

Joei

That's why dodging through the attacks helps. You pretty much have to create your own openings for attack against the Abhorrent Beast. You can't parry it and trying to attack during the animation cool down time is useless because the boss is very relentless and has a small window for cool down. It's like a dance.

Got it on my second try. The dodging and staying next to him basically going toe to toe is how I beat him previously, I think I was just too tired last night. But I am so over these chalice dungeons, can't wait to finally get through them all.

Got it on my second try. The dodging and staying next to him basically going toe to toe is how I beat him previously, I think I was just too tired last night. But I am so over these chalice dungeons, can't wait to finally get through them all.
Congrats, they aren't for everybody, but I oddly like them I have fought AB a lot more times than I should've across a good amount of characters. I wonder how my pizza cutter character fares against it.

myco666

I decided to do a Beast Claw run myself, can you point me in the general direction to where to start searching and stuff?

Also tips in leveling.

There is another member here that says he can melt stuff with his beast claw and some other thing he has Beast Roar I think.

Probably meant Beast Embrace rune. There is no really reason to use Beast Claws without it. Managed to deal enough damage to Gascoigne to skip the third phase entirely.

As for leveling the weapon is Str weapon so get your Str to 50. Would also recommend to get Skill to 50 but if you are limiting yourself you could do 40/30 distribution or something.

Soulhouf

Also tips in leveling.

Just rise your str. Beast Roar and Beast Embrace rune are bonuses but not required.
The philosophy behind this "build" is to multiply damage as quickly as possible and end boss fights in a matter seconds.
I was able to kill The One Reborn in one combo once and defeated Rom in its 1rst phase. It makes some fights go really weird and sometimes you get unexpected results.
Really worth the try.

grmlin

So I played DLC yesterday and found a ton of weapons ;)

Now I have even more choices for my +10 weapon.

I really like the beast cutter. With fire gems my arcane char should wreck beasts with it. And it has pretty amazing range. That's what is one thing I miss on my saw cleaver.

I read good things about the pizza cutter, too. But I would have to invest even more points into strength for it. Anyone using it with an arcane build?

The Boom Hammer looks fun but slow.

The moonlight sword is basically a pimped Ludwigs, right? I did not enjoy Ludwigs too much.

So I played DLC yesterday and found a ton of weapons ;)

Now I have even more choices for my +10 weapon.

I really like the beast cutter. With fire gems my arcane char should wreck beasts with it. And it has pretty amazing range. That's what is one thing I miss on my saw cleaver.

I read good things about the pizza cutter, too. But I would have to invest even more points into strength for it. Anyone using it with an arcane build?

The Boom Hammer looks fun but slow.

The moonlight sword is basically a pimped Ludwigs, right? I did not enjoy Ludwigs too much.

Different moveset and much more arcane focused.

myco666

Just rise your str. Beast Roar and Beast Embrace rune are bonuses but not required.
The philosophy behind this "build" is to multiply damage as quickly as possible and end boss fights in a matter seconds.
I was able to kill The One Reborn in one combo once and defeated Rom in its 1rst phase. It makes some fights go really weird and sometimes you get unexpected results.
Really worth the try.

I really don't think Beast Claw is worth it unless you use BBP and since Beast Embrace rune has constant beast mode it is very essential. Beast Roar is somewhat useless if you have Beast Embrace but it doesn't use stamina so it is much better than L2 with Beast Claw.

Different moveset and much more arcane focused.

Isn't MHB still pretty Str and Skill focused? Only the beams deal Arcane damage and melee damage comes from Str and Skill. Might remember wrong though since I didn't really use that weapon all that much.

Soulhouf

I really don't think Beast Claw is worth it unless you use BBP and since Beast Embrace rune has constant beast mode it is very essential. Beast Roar is somewhat useless if you have Beast Embrace but it doesn't use stamina so it is much better than L2 with Beast Claw.

Beast Claw already has the BBP effect in transformed mode. You don't need anything else if you want to do a DPS race.

Raptor

Probably meant Beast Embrace rune. There is no really reason to use Beast Claws without it. Managed to deal enough damage to Gascoigne to skip the third phase entirely.

As for leveling the weapon is Str weapon so get your Str to 50. Would also recommend to get Skill to 50 but if you are limiting yourself you could do 40/30 distribution or something.

Really worth the try.

STR alright, my other char is STR based witha pizza cutter, will go and search for that Beast Claw on the dungeons already then after that I will to the DLC and with some help I need to kill Laurence lol.

Caja 117

today Finished Cainhurst, What a level!!! The atmosphere....That background noise.... is just unsettling and nightmare inducing. Again, Had to use a co op partner to beat the boss, what am I doing wrong?, I cant seem to beat any boss by myself in this game. :-(

Now I'm not sure what to do, I feel I'm still too underleveled for unseen Village, But I guess there is no other place for me to visit.

BTW, What are the Positives on doing chalice dungeons? I have done the first 4 level of the first tombstone.

today Finished Cainhurst, What a level!!! The atmosphere....That background noise.... is just unsettling and nightmare inducing. Again, Had to use a co op partner to beat the boss, what am I doing wrong?, I cant seem to beat any boss by myself in this game. :-(

Now I'm not sure what to do, I feel I'm still too underleveled for unseen Village, But I guess there is no other place for me to visit.

BTW, What are the Positives on doing chalice dungeons? I have done the first 4 level of the first tombstone.
Do you parry often? Logarius is actually pretty fun fight to me and I have solo'd all of them now. You should at least be able to solo the boss in Unseen Village since that one's usually pretty easy. You might also want to work on your dodging since you can also dodge into their attacks to essentially use your I Frames to go through the attack untouched. Chalice dungeons help with leveling up and getting good damage gems. Sadly at some point you start going after cursed gems for a damage boost, but they always have some sort of stupid draw back. I usually just do a chalice dungeon when I'm not in the mood to advance the main game and level up. I get why people complain about them, but at the same time I think the complaints are blown way the fuck out of proportion.

Raptor

There are some bosses particularly that one and another on the Old Hunters that are way too hard IMO, so far I needed help with those two and when I first played it I need it for father G lol.

grmlin

Logarius takes time, at least for me. And luck. I beat him two times and it was not much fun. I always had to retry a lot until I finally got him.

The other bosses were hard but after some learning manageable. How many tries did you usually do before you summon help?

myco666

Beast Claw already has the BBP effect in transformed mode. You don't need anything else if you want to do a DPS race.

Oh. I started using it once I had the rune so I missed that. Though the Rune apparently gives you beasthood build up even without transforming the weapon but yeah it isn't really needed then.

Caja 117

I actually got to parry him once or twice, and I got him about 65% in healthbar by myself, but by that time I already depleted all my bloodviles. I just think I don't take good advantage on the iframes in my fights.

I actually got to parry him once or twice, and I got him about 65% in healthbar by myself, but by that time I already depleted all my bloodviles.
Oh damn. I usually find rushing the first phase and dealing quick damage and then avoiding his magic projectiles really helpful.

grmlin

Oh damn. I usually find rushing the first phase and dealing quick damage and then avoiding his magic projectiles really helpful.

- 1. phase: normal attacks are pretty easy. If you wait for him to cast the exploding ball there is enough time to get into his face. Don't get greedy though, one or two hits have to be enough, that short range skull thing is devastating.

- when he charges up, backstab him. This is absolutely crucial, you can't parry in the second face otherwise I think

- 2. phase: I prefer to keep my distance and parry as he is in full rage mode with his swords. This works pretty well if he does not spam his stupid sword spell.

- 1. phase: normal attacks are pretty easy. If you wait for him to cast the exploding ball there is enough time to get into his face. Don't get greedy though, one or two hits have to be enough, that short range skull thing is devastating.

- when he charges up, backstab him. This is absolutely crucial, you can't parry in the second face otherwise I think

- 2. phase: I prefer to keep my distance and parry as he is in full rage mode with his swords. This works pretty well if he does not spam his stupid sword spell.
Yeah I've done this a few times. He can be parried in his second phase I believe though even if he charges up completely, it's probably just harder. I find having a quick weapon like the Blades of Mercy helps for the first phase.

grmlin

Yeah I've done this a few times. He can be parried in his second phase I believe though even if he charges up completely, it's probably just harder. I find having a quick weapon like the Blades of Mercy helps for the first phase.

My attempts always went like this: (and I knew how to beat him :D)

Version 1

- phase 1 without problems and little to no damage to myself
- charges up, his back facing towards a wall or edge of the roof, no chance to backstab

Version 2

- charges up, I backstab successfully
- spams sword spell
- I run out of time and vials

Version 3

- places sword spell inside a building

Version 4

- spams his flying attack I find incredibly hard to parry

Version 5

Version 2 + 3 + 4 combined

But then there is a game where he decides that I suffered enough and I kill him easily lol

My attempts always went like this: (and I knew how to beat him :D)

Version 1

- charges up, his back facing towards a wall or edge of the roof, no chance to backstab

Version 2

- spams sword spell

Version 3

- places sword spell inside a building

Version 4

- spams his flying attack I find incredibly hard to parry

Version 5

Version 2 + 3 + 4 combined

But then there is a game where he decides that I suffered enough and I kill him easily lol
That sword inside of a building thing sounds really really annoying.

The prebuild amygdala have more animations on its limbs, more textures, and constant "eyes" while the final game amygdalas have less textures, less animations, static pose and the eyes are gone and just pops up in one of its attacks

The prebuild amygdala have more animations on its limbs, more textures, and constant "eyes" while the final game amygdalas have less textures, less animations, static pose and the eyes are gone and just pops up in one of its attacks

I never looked too closely at their textures, but they definitely aren't static. The ones in Yahargul at least sway like the one in the gif and their heads actually follow you when you walk past them as if they're watching you.

Caja 117

One thing I want to make sure to see if I'm correct, My LHB has a B in arcane scaling but in the weapon attributes is has a "-" or a "0" in arcane , does this mean that the scaling bonus for this weapon will only work if I equip a Bloodgem that gives the arcane damage to the weapon?

and is there really any plus in leveling Bloodthinge or Parry weapons?

Soulhouf

One thing I want to make sure to see if I'm correct, My LHB has a B in arcane scaling but in the weapon attributes is has a "-" or a "0" in arcane , does this mean that the scaling bonus for this weapon will only work if I equip a Bloodgem that gives the arcane damage to the weapon?

Yes. It's true for all the weapons.

and is there really any plus in leveling Bloodthinge or Parry weapons?

Bloodtinge is there for a few main weapons (Chikage, Bloodletter and Simon's Bowblade) and firearms basically.
You can make decent damage with firearms if you rise your BT but it's not recommended if you already developed other offensive stats. It's better to make a specific build for that.

Caja 117

Yes. It's true for all the weapons.

Bloodtinge is there for a few main weapons (Chikage, Bloodletter and Simon's Bowblade) and fire weapons basically.
You can make decent damage with fire weapons if you rise your BT but it's not recommended if you already developed other offensive stats. It's better to make a specific build for that.

That sounds interesting, like a Dext build?

Thank you.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haven't played the game since it came out, but recently had the urge to have another go at the Watchdog, because I wanted to get the Platinum before doing the dlc. He's what made me quit, and I'm still having no luck. Now there are npc summons close to him, but it's not that much easier with them. I still have to do an extra run to get the final ending I was missing, so maybe I should do that first and get like 600 blood vials. I always run out and have to farm more. Because of the one hit kill factor this is still the hardest boss of the entire Souls series for me. The only one to give me this much trouble.

I never looked too closely at their textures, but they definitely aren't static. The ones in Yahargul at least sway like the one in the gif and their heads actually follow you when you walk past them as if they're watching you.

Yes, they move if you are close enough and sometimes moves their arms, slowly, the alpha one moves continously and more fluid.

Haven't played the game since it came out, but recently had the urge to have another go at the Watchdog, because I wanted to get the Platinum before doing the dlc. He's what made me quit, and I'm still having no luck. Now there are npc summons close to him, but it's not that much easier with them. I still have to do an extra run to get the final ending I was missing, so maybe I should do that first and get like 600 blood vials. I always run out and have to farm more. Because of the one hit kill factor this is still the hardest boss of the entire Souls series for me. The only one to give me this much trouble.

Is charge attack is an instant kill if you are low in Vit, outside of that move you can stay in front of him and bail its attacks

Ellite25

So what are you're guys' thoughts on the Bowblade? I thought it was weaker than Holy Blade +10 until I realized that all the scaling actually makes it better. I was kinda surprised to be honest. It's only a +9 too. If I can get it to +10 the scaling will go up even higher.

I always found it easier to lock off when dodging the charge (actually goes for all the boss charges in this game). I *can* dodge locked on, but have more control it seems locking off. Sometimes it's just a case of RNG, I've fought him a few times where he's never done the charge at all.

Like Orochinagis says stay in front of him, mid-ish distance to bait his swipes/bites. The timing is a little longer than you think it is to wait before you can attack, because if you try to come in too soon he will combo and do another swipe back the opposite direction and catch you, whereas if you wait that fraction longer before going in he will only do the one attack and you can safely get a hit or two in whilst his animation resets.

grmlin

Oh Ludwig the accursed will take some time. Dodging his attacks seems impossible after the first three tries. I hope my timing gets better by trying...

Edit: Ludwig isn't a beast? My Tonitrus does way more damage then a fire gem powered saw weapon

Edit 2: lol right now this boss looks like my last stop in this game. Did not even manage to get him into phase two.

So what are you're guys' thoughts on the Bowblade? I thought it was weaker than Holy Blade +10 until I realized that all the scaling actually makes it better. I was kinda surprised to be honest. It's only a +9 too. If I can get it to +10 the scaling will go up even higher.

The bowblade is amazing for long range combat mainly, I rarely used it in melee form.

Oh Ludwig the accursed will take some time. Dodging his attacks seems impossible after the first three tries. I hope my timing gets better by trying...

Edit: Ludwig isn't a beast? My Tonitrus does way more damage then a fire gem powered saw weapon

Edit 2: lol right now this boss looks like my last stop in this game. Did not even manage to get him into phase two.

Ludwig is a humanoid, not really a beast so arcane and fire are both efective on him, maybe the Saw can damage him too.

Anyway I remember since fire can hurt him a lot then he is a beast too

What I did:
- one of his common attacks is the sideways bite. It's pretty well telegraphed, so if you charge up an R2 while he goes for the bite you will hit him when he brings his head back to centre (after he misses you). I used the LHB and it worked well, as it has good range.
- regarding the one hit kill, there is a short tell before he charges. Once you notice it, unlock the camera and then roll to one side (staying locked on means you can't dodge it IIRC).

After getting those 2 things down I didn't have much trouble with him.

grmlin

The bowblade is amazing for long range combat mainly, I rarely used it in melee form.

Ludwig is a humanoid, not really a beast so arcane and fire are both efective on him, maybe the Saw can damage him too.

Anyway I remember since fire can hurt him a lot then he is a beast too
The saw cleaver with fire gems staggers him in times, the beast cutter does not do shit to him. Strange.
I think the hardest part about him is the fact, that he does not give you any room to breathe. And his friggin left long arm. Always gets me.

Anyway. Out of curiosity. How many tries do others here roughly need for a boss like Ludwig when they face him for the first time?

Anyway. Out of curiosity. How many tries do others here roughly need for a boss like Ludwig when they face him for the first time?

Took me 4 attempts. 2 deaths to get the hang of phase 1 and 1 death to work out that in front is a very bad place to be in phase 2!

I was a tad over leveled though as I used a character I'd platinumed the game on so it was around level 130 with a fully upgraded holy blade with decent gems and all that.

It depends, newcomers or people who recently started the game got a big wall of difficulty asking for coop or summoning NPCs since their current gear wasnt geared enough for end game difficulty enemies and the DLC is fairly so early accesible to play, players who got their chars already level up just waiting for the DLC or just simple overleveled defeat him in few tries.

Top Bottom