• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Being an optional boss fight doesn't except it from Rule 45, Section B1 of the Official Videogamer's Handbook of Design that states "The distance from respawn point to the expected spike in difficulty ought to be as close to zero as reasonably possible or else be held accountable to the players bitching and moaning on the internets".

I appreciate you trying to help and I don't want to sound ungrateful for when you pitched in for when I was asking for help, but not every bump on the road is a cry for help, you know? I only went up against him 3 times, give me some time to get my feet burned to a cinder before I come running for help.

My bad then.

I only tried to take Larry on twice, but first time was me just trying to activate his battle (I was badly equipped) and second time trying to take him on for real... Only to die from one hit.

I can tell already this guy is going to be oodles of joy. Also, who was it that said that from learned their lesson and put all the Lamps next to the bosses? Because this one is distinctly pretty damn far from the nearest lamp and filled with enemies in between. Given the toughness of the enemies, that's probably going to piss me off more than anything by itself.

Edit: third try, he thrusts his claw 3 feet above my head, but that hits me. Maybe it's also psychic.
You having shit vit isn't helping your case either.

Dahbomb

Worst offender I have seen in the Souls games is the respawning point to the Chariot boss in Dark Souls 2.

Like man... what the hell were they thinking with that one...

That one was also an optional boss. That seems to be the trend although obviously not a hard and fast rule.

Worst offender I have seen in the Souls games is the respawning point to the Chariot boss in Dark Souls 2.

That one was also an optional boss. That seems to be the trend although obviously not a hard and fast rule.

I dont mind the respawning bonfire but the enemies before the bridge can take like more of a half of your health before reaching the boss

No problem. I'm sure most people who come in crying about how an enemy stole their lunch do want help. Most of the time, you make the right call. I just happen to be unusual.

The price of freedom (of weapon choice) ain't cheap.

Singleteareagle.jpg
Just be lucky you're not in the Defiled Chalice dungeon and haven't done like a harder depth 4 yet.

Dmax3901

And with the 120K I made going forward, I could have had like 200 vials in 2 seconds.

All you're suggesting is that I exchange 'money' for 'time'. The conversation keeps going back to the idea that getting that many echoes or getting those incredients is 'not hard'. It's not about being difficulty. It's the fact that those were mine, and I lost them. The fact that I can do something to regain them isn't the point, it's that the game permanently loses my progress. I. Fucking. Hate it. And one way or another, the echoes/time invested/whatever currency you want to use adds up.

And if you want to play the idea that it's not a big deal on any level, then suppose this: Lets say that Bloodborne allowed a mode where you never lose your echoes. If you die, you simple restart with the amount you accumulated. Imagine playing through the game having never lost any of the money you earned. How much money would you have have again? I'd probably have enough atleast to level up another category. People would probably be able to fully level their character to be able to be proficient in 2 more catergories than now atleast. And it's certainly affect the playstyle. You'd never feel any fear from losing your progress again. No more 'be careful!' runs where you're trying to inch through an area to try to recover the amount of echoes hanging in the balance.

And for some of that, that'd be an awful. Not for me, but that's fine, everyone has their own preferences, and for that I wouldn't change the way BB is unless it was only as option so people could play the "please kick my balls" mode they desire. But I'm sick of trying to be dissuaded about the importance of this design philosophy and the impact it leaves. It's a fundamental pillar of the game's design that is all but the basis of the kind of feel the game tries to impress upon the player. Sure, echoes become less essential as the game goes on due to better farming spots/less shit to buy/easier shit to find, whatever. I think that can be said about most games, that they get boiled down to their most important elements while more extrenious ones disappear. Perfectly true, yes.

But it doesn't go away, and it's not going to go away so long as there is shit to buy. And maybe that wasn't your experience, maybe you got what you wanted and didn't feel the need to get more levels, or are happy to just get what you need on the road rather than buying. Yeah, that's also fine. But that's not how I roll. And dude, I'm almost done with the game. Somehow, telling me that I have a wealth of farming over yonder doesn't change make it feel any more disheartening when the game dumps out the echoes' I've worked for now. If my old dog dies, my parents promising me that I'll get a newer, better dog doesn't make me feel better.

Ok yeah we just have different attitudes toward the game. You gotta learn to let go man.

I only tried to take Larry on twice, but first time was me just trying to activate his battle (I was badly equipped) and second time trying to take him on for real... Only to die from one hit.

I can tell already this guy is going to be oodles of joy. Also, who was it that said that from learned their lesson and put all the Lamps next to the bosses? Because this one is distinctly pretty damn far from the nearest lamp and filled with enemies in between. Given the toughness of the enemies, that's probably going to piss me off more than anything by itself.

Edit: third try, he thrusts his claw 3 feet above my head, but that hits me. Maybe it's also psychic.
Just sprint to the church. Run up the set of stairs where the ball comes down but turn around immediately when it starts coming. Then at the door with the big guy just wait for him to open the door and sprint past him. Sometimes he won't even attack you. You'll probably get hit sometimes though rolling away from his attack as your headed up the final stairs to Laurence.

That was a nightmare. Also why did they make it that you aren't invulnerable while walking through a fog door?

Soulhouf

Finally!

Cc-0oECW0AMv-yM.jpg:orig

Took me over 100 attempts. Toughest story boss by far
for my lv4 run.
I have no idea why I struggled against this boss so much but now I'm glad he's gone.

grmlin

> 100 tries. woah, I don't think I would ever have the patience for this. LVL 4 challenge erased from my todo list lol

:D

gratz!

Veelk

Banned
I'm surprised that, of all things, gave you a challenge.

I chased him around so long that I didn't even know he had a second fight phase, so instead I just started taking taking pot shots as I approached when he stood still. Calmly approach, load bone ash, aim, fire, rinse, repeat.

I assumed he was just kind of a wimp.

Veelk

Banned
YEAH! Upgraded Rakuyo to level 10 just in time for Orphan of Kos.

Or should I finish off Larry before I complete the belated abortion?

The God

So I'm not really understanding how visceral attacks work. When I stagger with the gun and R1, it just does a normal R1 attack. I'm using the threaded cane.

Also, how am I dosed to get close enough to enemies for the back charge attack? They turn around before I release.

Dmax3901

Hm....Excellent counter argument. I've never considered that perspective before. I see now that I was wrong, and will move forward with that mindset.

I was never arguing with you, not sure how you got that impression. I also never said you were wrong. Our viewpoints on the game are different, that much is clear, and that's all that needs to be said.

Made some good progress today despite not having a lot of time.
Defeated the Bloodstarved Beast, dude on
the turret at the top of the tower fell to his death while I was fighting him.
I was hoping he'd do that because he was kicking my ass lol.

Veelk

Banned
I was never arguing with you, not sure how you got that impression. I also never said you were wrong. Our viewpoints on the game are different, that much is clear, and that's all that needs to be said.

Sorry, I thought the last second sentence of your post implied the point was still being made. If not, then I retract my sarcasm and we cool. I've also just pulled an all nighter, so I'm more irritable than usual. So I apologize for misinterpreting.

So I'm not really understanding how visceral attacks work. When I stagger with the gun and R1, it just does a normal R1 attack. I'm using the threaded cane.

Also, how am I dosed to get close enough to enemies for the back charge attack? They turn around before I release.
You have to hit R1 immediately after the stagger. Also try not tilting the left stick while hitting R1. It seems that sometimes that srews it up.

You have walk up behind enemies so they don't notice you.

Dahbomb

YEAH! Upgraded Rakuyo to level 10 just in time for Orphan of Kos.

Or should I finish off Larry before I complete the belated abortion?
It doesn't really matter but I would fight Orphan of Kos last because it's the actual conclusion of the DLC and the fight is epic.

Ill need help for Gerhnam...
'm lvl 68: Adonis_Creed19

trying to Platinum and only thing missing is Killing him + moon presence kill and the Chalice after

Dmax3901

Sorry, I thought the last second sentence of your post implied the point was still being made. If not, then I retract my sarcasm and we cool. I've also just pulled an all nighter, so I'm more irritable than usual. So I apologize for misinterpreting.

All good.

The asylum area in the DLC was great. Living Failures were hectic but I beat them first go, then Maria straight after? She's kicked my ass twice in a row but god damn it's a fun fight.

Beat Logarius tonight after taking a few nights off from the game. Wasn't so bad once I figured out his attack patterns and parried with my pistol. I'm curious on where to go now. The last few bosses I beat were Rom, Ludwig, and Logarius. Ludwig was beaten with the help of a friend of mine. I'm still on my first playthrough.

Up until tonight, I've only been using the Saw Cleaver, so I'm pretty adjusted to that weapon's swing speed, reach, and damage. However, I upgraded Ludwig's Holy Blade to level 7, and though it does way more damage with my Saw Cleaver, I'm having trouble adjusting to it.

I'm facing Ebriatas right now and I'm a bit out of my element. For this weapon, should I only be focusing on the broadsword version of the weapon? In many of the videos I see, people are using the L2 attack, but it's so slow...

Dahbomb

Up until tonight, I've only been using the Saw Cleaver, so I'm pretty adjusted to that weapon's swing speed, reach, and damage. However, I upgraded Ludwig's Holy Blade to level 7, and though it does way more damage with my Saw Cleaver, I'm having trouble adjusting to it.

I'm facing Ebriatas right now and I'm a bit out of my element. For this weapon, should I only be focusing on the broadsword version of the weapon? In many of the videos I see, people are using the L2 attack, but it's so slow...
Against bosses that are large I use the giant sword version.

The L2 attack does a lot of stun so it's useful for getting bosses to stagger faster. The R2 charge does a lot of damage too and has decent range.

Ludwig vertical strong attack is the best for bosses its r1 is not so good

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Orphan of Kos doesn't fuck around, especially in his second phase. I'm probably going to switch over to health vial runes for this guy, every hit takes half a lifebar and in his second phase he goes nuts all over the place.

Overall this was such a great expansion, area-wise I maybe liked it more than Artorias. Really should get to the DkS II dlc too sometime.

Dmax3901

Orphan of Kos doesn't fuck around, especially in his second phase. I'm probably going to switch over to health vial runes for this guy, every hit takes half a lifebar and in his second phase he goes nuts all over the place.

Overall this was such a great expansion, area-wise I maybe liked it more than Artorias. Really should get to the DkS II dlc too sometime.

I just got up to him myself, yeah he goes apeshit.

jonjonaug

The L2 attack is best used on bosses that can be stunned or have a weaker point danglung right above you. So Ebriatas, Amygdala, Darkbeast Paarl, etc. it works great on.

I managed to get him in 3 attempts: 1st I got him down to about 30%; 2nd he absolutely destroyed me, think I got 3 hits in; and finally on the 3rd I barely made it out with just a sliver of health.

When I got him down to about 1-3% health he went fucking ballistic! Non-stop attacks, throwing those sacs, superjumps, all his huge overhead slams... I could barely move/doge/roll.

I was using the Beasthunter Saif, which I think made all the difference with its charge-in R1 and jump-back L1 transformation, made it so I could get a few hits in and retreat fairly quickly.

Raptor

Absolutly destroyed rape horse with my beast claws on fire, I felt bad after.

So I felt confident, went and killed the two hunters on the altar to get the laurence skull, went back to get my embrance rune, I said "how bad can this larry dude can be?"

I enter the fight, summoned some NPC to help me some, I got killed in maybe 5 seconds I think it was a one hit kill with me with 50 vit, it was maybe cause I was half beast bar full I dont know lols.

Jesus christ man, this will be painfull.

Veelk

Banned
I haven't beaten orphan of Kos yet, but you have to respect a guy who tries to beat you to death with his own placenta.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat Laurence first try and after that also the shrieking Orphan. Old Hunters is done, and afterwards I got my final main game ending. Felt good to finally get that platinum, after I'd given up on it a year ago.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
First try?

Any tips?

Eh, I have no shame in doing co-op? :) I had like 90 insight, so figured why not. Had a good partner and managed to dodge most of his attacks. Partner died near the end of the fight, but kept up the pace since I found his last phase to be pretty easy to manage.

Soulhouf

Got Mergo's first try lv4.
CdD0W-tW8AAKzFj.jpg:orig

With this, I'm almost done with my lv4 run.
Only Logarius and Ebrietas remain. DLC would be nuts at this level so I'm not going to do it.
Furthermore, Dark Souls 3 comes out in 2 weeks and I'm going to get the Japanese version.

Raptor

Eh, I have no shame in doing co-op? :) I had like 90 insight, so figured why not. Had a good partner and managed to dodge most of his attacks. Partner died near the end of the fight, but kept up the pace since I found his last phase to be pretty easy to manage.

Im going in with the npc that you can summon just at the stairs, he gets killed fairly quickly, so Im thinking in summoning some coop AND the npc lols.

Just to be sure.

Oh and I aint using the claws in this fight, I get one shoted all the time.

Veelk

Banned
Furthermore, Dark Souls 3 comes out in 2 weeks and I'm going to get the Japanese version.

Oh, can you do me a favor? I have no idea if anyone is as pedantic as I am, so I'm not sure how long it will take for good pictures of all the great swords and ultra great swords of DS3 to surface.

If I can find the exact giant sword design I want to use, it makes the difference between whether I get DS3 day one or if I play something else for now. Do you think you can take decent pics of the ones you find at your convenience?

As of right now, I think Dark Souls 2 has the best giant sword design, but I hear SO many foreboding things about that game.

Top Bottom