• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Veelk

Banned
Or actually hearing their boss themes, too busy fighting for my life

Yeah, that's one thing I had planned to mention, but now that you bring it up, the only theme I can actually remember is the one in the hunters dream. I tried to listen to the soundtrack afterwards, but it's not good to listen to for me except for maybe a select few tracks like Lady Maria (God, I think I love every goddamn thing about that boss) and Ludwig. But in general, while it's well composed, I feel it's because it's designed to work within the scene of the game itself and no where else. Like, Darkbeast Paarl is actually pretty good as far as a boss battle goes against a horrible creature, but it's not empowering or anything. If anything, it makes you feel more nervous and uncomfortable. Take it out of the scene and just listen to it on your computer, it just feels like a trap is closing around your ears. It's not something I want to listen to, but it's the right choice of music if you place it with a boss battle that is suppose to induce discomfort and terror (despite me taking DBP out pretty easily)

On a related note, Miracle of Sound's song is pretty decent. Maybe not their best work, but they're usually good at capturing the essence of the game they're writing for.

The music during the Cleric Beast fight stood out to me.
Anyway, defeated the Bloodstarved Beast and don't know where to go next, I thought I explored everything so I wasn't expecting a dead end, must've missed something.
The game is more linear than I expected.

Veelk

Banned
Gehrman and Gasciogne boss themes get me hyped up. Lady Maria too.

Ludwig second phase is dope too.

I think I agree about Gehrman atleast in that it's really good, but it's almost too melancholy and sorrowful to get me hyped. A lot of the songs in BB make me feel like I shouldn't want to be fighting the enemy, either out of fear or sadness.

Here's a pretty sick remix of his theme though.

Gascoigne might be an exception I guess, but I'm a bit more meh on it. It has good build up, but the choir bit seems like a bad choice for me and I'm not as big a fan of the second half.

Got him, FINALLY!

The second phase is pretty awesome, but much shorter than the first one, sadly.

Just got to Ludwig last night. I thought I was going to have it easy after Ebrietas, but nope. Ludwig is kicking my ass and doesn't give me a chance to breathe. I haven't even been able to get to his second stage yet.

grmlin

Just got to Ludwig last night. I thought I was going to have it easy after Ebrietas, but nope. Ludwig is kicking my ass and doesn't give me a chance to breathe. I haven't even been able to get to his second stage yet.

Ebrietas, I still did not beat this one. Did not try him/her (?) with my skill char yet.

grmlin

I went straight to Erbrietas, of course. What a cheap ass. The attacks are so random and when he decides not to slam his head I'm lost.

And that charge attack, especially the flying one, is un-dodgable for me. Stupid boss, I don't enjoy it at all.

Just add bolt paper to your sword and get behind it between the legs.

Not working for me, I'll try again.

I went straight to Erbrietas, of course. What a cheap ass. The attacks are so random and when he decides not to slam his head I'm lost.

And that charge attack, especially the flying one, is un-dodgable for me. Stupid boss, I don't enjoy it at all.

Not working for me, I'll try again.
Ebrietas is a mom god damn it. Why does nobody ever mention the living failures and amygdala themes?

grmlin

Sorry, I'll remember now. :)

I did it, R1 spam ftw. With Ludwig for example I felt like I achieved something, with Ebrietas it was more like: ok, that was lucky.

Something else: what weapon should I go for next. The Reiterpallasch is awesome, but I have so many materials, I have to do something with them :) Beast Hunter Saif? I'm at skill 50 and pretty much vanilla on the other damage stats. Wait for Rakkyo? Level Bloodtinge?

Thanks!

Soulhouf

That reminds me I need to order the Old Hunters OST.

I love the music in this game so much. Not only the music. The sound design is one of the best I ever heard in any game.

Something else: what weapon should I go for next. The Reiterpallasch is awesome, but I have so many materials, I have to do something with them :) Beast Hunter Saif? I'm at skill 50 and pretty much vanilla on the other damage stats. Wait for Rakkyo? Level Bloodtinge?

Thanks!

Rakkyo is awesome. Also if you never tried it, Burial Blade is a fantastic skill weapon as well.

Burial Blade is so good. I used it on my skill/arcane character and had a damn good fight against defiled amygdala with it. That L2 just destroyed its head.

Living Failures stood out to me for at least being pretty unique among the themes, it always reminds me of an old B-movie type sci-fi flick.
Which is exactly why I love it so much. I didn't really pay attention to it too much during the battle but when I heard it afterwards I loved it. Kind of felt like something out of a sci-fi Kubrick movie.

silva1991

Ludwig was a bitch in my first DLC run

getting to his second phase took hours upon hours.

one of the best fights in the series tho

There are some bosses I dont even know what they look like, like the Cleric Beast, or Mergos Nurse, I dont know, I went in and kill them without looking at them :O

Lol xD

No love for Laurence? His phase 2 track is one of the best.

Easily! it's the only reason that I like him :p

Theodran

You get two red jellies from Lower Loran.

Got it from Isz, along with a ton of blood echoes, thanks for the tip, though! Got stuck on the Pthumerian Descendant and ended up going for Paarl and Bloodletting Beast in NG+ instead, but I am confident that I'll get him tonight.

Just a little bit more!

Living Failures stood out to me for at least being pretty unique among the themes, it always reminds me of an old B-movie type sci-fi flick.

I love the part when the male chorus is getting stronger and the boss is starting to cast magic and the whole background turns into space is an orgasmic moment for me.

Got it from Isz, along with a ton of blood echoes, thanks for the tip, though! Got stuck on the Pthumerian Descendant and ended up going for Paarl and Bloodletting Beast in NG+ instead, but I am confident that I'll get him tonight.

Just a little bit more!
I thought you had to get the two from Lower Loran chests. Did they drop from enemies?

Pthumerian Descendant can be tough. I always just parry him in both phases. The boomerang toss is such a dick move.LOL

Theodran

I thought you had to get the two from Lower Loran chests. Did they drop from enemies?

Pthumerian Descendant can be tough. I always just parry him in both phases. The boomerang toss is such a dick move.LOL

There are a couple of Red Jellies in a room in Layer 3 of Isz Gravestone, along with 6 Sage's Hair and 5 Tomb Mold (5). Well worth the visit.

I got him down to 5% using parries but he hacked me to death with a combo after that. I'll try again today.

You know, all this could be solved with a boss rush mode.

And maybe throw in a model viewer while you're at it. I love examining character models, and BB has some of the best. It annoys me I can't get a good, steady look at some of the bosses.

Each boss should have a special lantern/bonfire that allows you to fight it again where nothing counts -- weapons don't degrade, consumables don't reduce, no souls/echoes are earned -- many times I beat a boss and I wasn't sure if I out-smarted it and played well, or just got lucky.

I'd like to instantly re-fight them to test that and learn from them.

Veelk

Banned
Each boss should have a special lantern/bonfire that allows you to fight it again where nothing counts -- weapons don't degrade, consumables don't reduce, no souls/echoes are earned -- many times I beat a boss and I wasn't sure if I out-smarted it and played well, or just got lucky.

I'd like to instantly re-fight them to test that and learn from them.

Amen.

I think that they do it as an atmosphere sort of thing, to not just make the encounters too 'gamey' by making the bosses repeated mechanically. I understand the concern and already mentioned how I feel putting Great Ones in chalice dungeons to be a bad idea.

However, they can use the justification that Shadow of the Collosus used and make the rematches 'memories' of the main character. I feel it solved the problem of satisfying gamer needs without compromising the atmosphere of the world pretty well.

Just fought him the other day and was having the same problem. What ended up working for me was to strafe left before the arm slam and then dodge left right before the attack lands. Then go after his arm or leg. And when he slams his arms multiple times, keep dodging left a few times.

Yeah me neither.

I trivialized this fight by staying at medium range and dodging the swipes and running in to attack only when her head is vulnerable. I think the fight becomes much harder if you try to stay too close. As for the jumps I stopped moving after a second (not immediately) when she jumps and it always missed me. During the second phase when she rears to do her magic arm slam, or whatever it is, I start running towards her and dodge forward right before it hits the ground. Puts me in position to attack and avoids the slam completely.

This helped, thanks! Beat it the other day and uploaded the whole thing. I had to watch how I got stomped more closely and figured the whole thing out. If anyone's still stuck with amygdala, this is the absolute way to do it. Had a few close calls there, but the jumps in the third phase can be avoided 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rDW0hf3xXY

I might have gone back and recorded a cleaner and faster version of the fight, but I didn't want to see this boss ever again. After finishing this level 30 'run,' this character did end up feeling bland. It's wimpy compared to a level 4 game, but I always need room for one or two mistakes. Later on I might try the level 4 run.

KuroNeeko

I just started playing Bloodborne. I have some experience with Demon's Souls and none with Dark Souls. Just a few questions...

1) If I think I'm interested in the DLC, should I buy it now or can I safely buy it later? Is it difficult to access the locked content or does it appear naturally in game?

2) Any advice on how to enjoy / experience the story? I mean, I start off strapped to a bed (with no knowledge on why I'm there other than I want a wee bit of that old Yharnam blood.) The first area gives me some general knowledge (it is the night of the Hunt and I am apparently cursed.) Thing is, I have no idea where to go or why I'm doing what I'm doing. By chance, I went back to the Hunter's Dream and found a shack open (that wasn't open before.) I can treat the game as just an arcade-like action game and focus on the combat alone, but I want to know what's going on!

3) Does the game ever stop being stressful? (lol)

I just started playing Bloodborne. I have some experience with Demon's Souls and none with Dark Souls. Just a few questions...

1) If I think I'm interested in the DLC, should I buy it now or can I safely buy it later? Is it difficult to access the locked content or does it appear naturally in game?

2) Any advice on how to enjoy / experience the story? I mean, I start off strapped to a bed (with no knowledge on why I'm there other than I want a wee bit of that old Yharnam blood.) The first area gives me some general knowledge (it is the night of the Hunt and I am apparently cursed.) Thing is, I have no idea where to go or why I'm doing what I'm doing. By chance, I went back to the Hunter's Dream and found a shack open (that wasn't open before.) I can treat the game as just an arcade-like action game and focus on the combat alone, but I want to know what's going on!

3) Does the game ever stop being stressful? (lol)

1. Not something you need right off the bat. You can access it after beating at least two of the game's bosses, but you won't be well-equipped for it that early. The dlc is a lot harder than anything in the main game.

2. The story can be as simple or as complicated as you like. The only things that emphasize the story besides the environments are the short dialogues between the NPCs and the item descriptions. It's fully up to interpretation, so it's all on your own terms.

3. No, but just like everything in else in the game, take it easy and you'll be fine. :)

Oibignose

Defiled Amygdala has been the biggest road block in the whole game for me so far. Finally caved in and read up on the fight. Think I was staying too close, going to try baiting the head slam and running it from afar.

Giever

Does anyone know if Skill influences the Chikage's damage at all when in its transformed mode? I use mine exclusively transformed, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out by not putting any more into Skill than I need to equip it.

krioto

Pthumerian Descendant down in two attempts tonight!

The old hunters bone was a great help in matching his speed - off to the next boss

And bloodletting beast and the queen go down in quick succession , platinum got.
Think I'll buy the dlc now

grmlin

Wow. The whole research hall / tower level was amazing. The first boss was meh but Maria was incredible. Such a cool fight.

Soulhouf

Does anyone know if Skill influences the Chikage's damage at all when in its transformed mode? I use mine exclusively transformed, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out by not putting any more into Skill than I need to equip it.

Only bloodtinge counts in transformed mode.

taoofjord

So what's everyone's top 3 favorite looking bosses? I can see an argument for pretty much every one. There's so much creativity and talent that went into them.

Mine:

3) Ebrietas
2) Vicar Amelia
1) Ludwig

Veelk

Banned
I don't do lists, but I have a lot of admiration for the design of BB.

I have a personal affection for wolves (canines in general, really), so werewolves are my personal favorite stock monster. However, they rarely get really good creative work done on them. They most just become "Big bulky wolf" or " Bulky humanoid wolf". It's why I'm not as big a fan of Father Gascoigne's best design as I might be. He's just a generic wolf dude.

Now, Vicar Amelia? Holy shit. She's great on every level. Wolf like shape, but it's off, elongated, almost serpentine. But she had unique features like the antlers on her head that break her apart from teh standard design. This isn't even counting her nun wardrobe, which which gives her a human touch. Even her attacks evoke her character, with how she attacks by praying.

Ludwig is a genuine creepy monstrosity. He is JUST like a known animal (horse), but the various tacked on body parts and deformities place in forever in a sort of uncanny valley that makes him creepy to look at. Especially with how he animates, with the twitching body parts and that hole that is covered with eyes and everything.

Ebriatas is the most unique looking of the Great Ones. I can't rightfully tell what she is, except maybe yonic. She's a bit of a pushover though. She's the most interesting boss to look at I think, just trying to figure out what she could be.

I like most of them. Even Gascoigne isn't bad, just not particularly remarkable to me. The only ones I dislike are Micolash (your cage helmet looks dumb, Mike), Undead Giant (generic giant zombie. Zzzz), and the living failures (they're just kinda ugly looking. Not creepy ugly, just...ugly).

taoofjord

Now, Vicar Amelia? Holy shit. She's great on every level. Wolf like shape, but it's off, elongated, almost serpentine. But she had unique features like the antlers on her head that break her apart from teh standard design. This isn't even counting her nun wardrobe, which which gives her a human touch. Even her attacks evoke her character, with how she attacks by praying.

Absolutely. I also love how she reminds me of a large puppet from the 80's. Her design is a bit reminiscent of something Brian Froud might have designed for Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal (and a little The Last Unicorn too) and I love the way her head swings around to look at you in the cutscene.

zKtwoVC.jpg
Ig2F1Du.jpg

Veelk

Banned
Absolutely. I also love how she reminds me of a large puppet from the 80's. Her design is a bit reminiscent of something Brian Froud might have designed for Labyrinth or The Dark Crystal and I love the way her head swings around to look at you in the cutscene.

And her hair! How could I forget her hair and how it billows around as she moves. Fantastic.

Algebrah

I did a NG+ Vicar Amelia fight last night and damn I love that fight. The screams she makes are horrible but it just makes the fight feel so much more fierce.

Question: I didn't do the DLC on my first run through. How is doing the DLC on NG+ as opposed to a first play through difficulty wise?

Raptor

Pthumerian Descendant down in two attempts tonight!

The old hunters bone was a great help in matching his speed - off to the next boss

And bloodletting beast and the queen go down in quick succession , platinum got.
Think I'll buy the dlc now

I tried Pthumerian Descendant, cant kill him, hell I can do a Visceral if Im lucky, for some reason his hit box is weird, doesnt always connect, that or he moves to damn fast, also those damn boomerangs are annoying as all fuck.

I believe I will have to study this fight more than usual.

So what's everyone's top 3 favorite looking bosses? I can see an argument for pretty much every one. There's so much creativity and talent that went into them.

Mine:

3) Ebrietas
2) Vicar Amelia
1) Ludwig
Pretty much mine, with Maria and Abhorrent Beast being up there for me as well, also oddly enough Defiled Watchdog. It's a matter of timing and patience with Watchdoge, once you get it you get it...as long as you don't eat a charge randomly or get too greedy. You need to know when he kicks over to his other phases cause if you don't the difference in head swipes can fuck you bad.

Raptor

My favorites bosses are

Ebrietas
Micolash
Orphan of Kos
Living Failures
Rom
Emissary

And any boss that are so out there alien stuff, Micolash is not like the rest of them but I like it cause of his voice and what he says.

Soulhouf

My favorite bosses:

Based on design
- Ebrietas
- Ludwig
- The One Reborn
- Amygdala
- Rom
- Queen Yharnam
- Darkbeast Paarl
- Laurence/Cleric Beast
- Mergo's Wet Nurse

Based on atmosphere
- The Witch of Hemwick
- The One Reborn
- Ebrietas
- Kos
- Shadow of Yharnam
- Rom
- Gherman
- Queen Yharnam

Based on pure gameplay
- Shadow of Yharnam
- Defiled Watchdog
- Ludwig
- Kos
- Ebrietas
- Gherman
- Maria
- Gascogne
- Logarius

Bosses I don't like:
- Amelia -> I never lost against her (even lv4) so I don't even know her moveset. It's a very simple boss and looks dumb IMO.
- There are a lot of bosses I don't like in the Chalice Dungeons. I'm not going to list them.

Minamu

Man, this chalice dungeon farming thing is way more complicated than it needs to be :/ Always with the "you don't meet the requirements" crap. I looked at a tutorial on youtube and it seems I need to collect all chalices, still missing two roots now after some grinding today, but then I also need to do a massive FRC dungeon too? I don't have the mats for that :O I just want some boss drops :'(

Soulhouf

Man, this chalice dungeon farming thing is way more complicated than it needs to be :/ Always with the "you don't meet the requirements" crap. I looked at a tutorial on youtube and it seems I need to collect all chalices, still missing two roots now after some grinding today, but then I also need to do a massive FRC dungeon too? I don't have the mats for that :O I just want some boss drops :'(

Just make a depth 5 root dungeon with all the rituals. It doesn't matter which one (Ihyll, Loran, Isz). It will unlock all the others.

Veelk

Banned
- Amelia -> I never lost against her (even lv4) so I don't even know her moveset. It's a very simple boss and looks dumb IMO.

We've had a lot of differences over this game that I think we've handled rather amicably, given how we both seem rather stubborn.

But this means war.

Soulhouf

We've had a lot of differences over this game that I think we've handled rather amicably, given how we both seem rather stubborn.

But this means war.

Mind you. I prefer her to any boss in Dark Souls 2.

But I don't like puppies in real life, if that makes sense. She happened to look like one...

Alright that's good news :D If I do that, any glyph codes that are still active will work?

Yes.

Top Bottom