• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Veelk

Banned
Mind you. I prefer her to any boss in Dark Souls 2.

But I don't like puppies in real life, if that makes sense. She happened to look like one...

As someone who hasn't played any other souls game, I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Especially since I heard that DS2 has many mixed reactions. I've heard just about everything from "It's just as good as the others" to "it's a failed abortion"

And now you're telling me you don't like puppies? Are you even human?

Raptor

As someone who hasn't played any other souls game, I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Especially since I heard that DS2 has many mixed reactions. I've heard just about everything from "It's just as good as the others" to "it's a failed abortion"

And now you're telling me you don't like puppies? Are you even human?

Considering he is killing everything at Level 4 doing in fact a Complete Defiled Bloodborne Im not sure about that :p

Veelk

Banned
Considering he is killing everything at Level 4 doing in fact a Complete Defiled Bloodborne Im not sure about that :p
And he even thinks it's a good idea to start games from scratch when it's avoidable.

I'm guessing alien. Atleast extraterrestrial if not extradimensional.

Menthuss

Made it to
the Fishing Hamlet
and encountered my first
Sharkman
. They are pretty much the embodiment of everything I hate in a Souls game: Giant sweeping attacks that they can delay at will, 360 tracking (they fucking even do instant 180s during their dive attacks) and massive amounts of health.

Fuck whoever designed these enemies.

Raptor

Made it to
the Fishing Hamlet
and encountered my first
Sharkman
. They are pretty much the embodiment of everything I hate in a Souls game: Giant sweeping attacks that they can be delayed at will, 360 tracking (they fucking even do instant 180s during their dive attacks) and massive amounts of health.

There is only one maybe two bosses harder than this guys to me, the just dont calm down.

Assimilated.
Then I'm the perviest alien on Gaf then.
Made it to
the Fishing Hamlet
and encountered my first
Sharkman
. They are pretty much the embodiment of everything I hate in a Souls game: Giant sweeping attacks that they can be delayed at will, 360 tracking (they fucking even do instant 180s during their dive attacks) and massive amounts of health.

Nothing like being killed by one of these damn things cause their attacks can and will clip through a fucking cliff at least 20 ft above their god damn head.

Made it to
the Fishing Hamlet
and encountered my first
Sharkman

His charge attack hitboxes are so stupid it made Ebrietas blush

Blood-Starved Beast is not getting nearly enough love in the bosses discussion, love the use of the back flaps in his design and it has one of the best themes in the game.

Veelk

Banned
Then I'm the perviest alien on Gaf then.

Maybe. Depends on how deep the process goes and how much a pervert you are.

Extradimensional being makes sense though. If he's 4D, it makes sense why he doesn't mind starting over, because the same time he's beginning, he's already finished, perpetually.

Theory checks out.

Raptor

Maybe. Depends on how deep the process goes and how much a pervert you are.

Extradimensional being makes sense though. If he's 4D, it makes sense why he doesn't mind starting over, because the same time he's beginning, he's already finished, perpetually.

Theory checks out.

Yep it makes perfect sense to me, in a continuous loop of starting and finishing the game.

Now that I remember he was talking the other day about how to play with the Chikage and at the same time he was killing Amygdala at Level 4.

Mmmmhhh.....

Blood-Starved Beast is not getting nearly enough love in the bosses discussion, love the use of the back flaps in his design and it has one of the best themes in the game.

I found BSB being harder than Amelia and pretty annoying still is just a bigger version of the werewolves using blankets you find earlier in the same zone

Raptor

I found BSB being harder than Amelia and pretty annoying still is just a bigger version of the werewolves using blankets you find earlier in the same zone

Its his erratic behavior aint it?

I have only had problems with that boss the first time, later I found out I had fought it once in a cave in the DLC without notice it lol.

Then in the Chalice dungeons was easy as heck, well if you use the bait blood things is easier.

I have only had problems with that boss the first time, later I found out I had fought it once in a cave in the DLC without notice it lol.

Then in the Chalice dungeons was easy as heck, well if you use the bait blood things is easier.
I've only used the blood cocktails on it once, didn't help too much. The best strat is to just keep to the left and hit its back. I only really get screwed every so often when I either get poisoned or I mistime a dodge with its grab attack.

Yes, BSB dont have a specific strategy, and his grab can be a instant death and not really noticeable

Agreed. BSB caused me the most grief so far. Everything else, while mildly frustrating or even grating at times, is tame in comparison. Amelia's design was let down by waaay too much hair IMO. Hair and cloth is done really well in Bloodborne, but Amelia just felt like a designer just hit max values for hair just to troll.

It should be noted I haven't faced Logarius, Ebrietas, that other Celestial boss in Upper Cathedral Ward, or Gehrmann yet, so ... this is likely to change.

Raptor

I always feel bad at killing the Celestial Emissary and his minions, poor things they dont know what planet they are in, if you notice they come at you wanting to hug you :(

myco666

And he even thinks it's a good idea to start games from scratch when it's avoidable.

But starting from scratch is the best thing to do in this game. I love to start a new character to min-max it to something specific while getting the weapon I want as fast as possible.

Iif you don't know what to do after finishing Bloodborne, you can play the tabletop version!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...odborne-is-getting-its-own-tabletop-game.aspx

After finishing Bloodborne? You can never finish Bloodborne.

I need that game though.

Agreed. BSB caused me the most grief so far. Everything else, while mildly frustrating or even grating at times, is tame in comparison. Amelia's design was let down by waaay too much hair IMO. Hair and cloth is done really well in Bloodborne, but Amelia just felt like a designer just hit max values for hair just to troll.

It should be noted I haven't faced Logarius, Ebrietas, that other Celestial boss in Upper Cathedral Ward, or Gehrmann yet, so ... this is likely to change.
Don't get mad at her Vidal Sassoon mane.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I saw Ludwig posted in so many boss threads before I played the dlc, so I was pretty hyped for the fight, but it still managed to surpass my expectations. The intro, his second phase epiphany + cutscene, the soundtrack... One of the best bosses in the series. Also love how he evokes both fear and pity. I've read some lore and watched some vids on Ludwig, but none explain why he took that form in particular and how it came to be.

Amelia's transformation scene is great, very classic, the design itself is kind of middle of the road for me.
I think that's only because the game is still just in "beast" mode with the bosses. The designs don't pick up visually till the second half and then there's the dlc...not enough great one bosses in my opinion though cause those are my favorites design wise.

Unless DS3 deals with Aliens, multidimentional beings and that kind of stuff it wont be the same :p

Literal space aliens doubtful; alien (utterly bizarre) creatures almost guaranteed; multidimensional beings likely, depending on your definition of "dimensions" and whether things like DS's abyss and such count as actual alternate dimensions. Bloodborne may have turned up the cosmic horror dial but it's not like things like Nito, Manus or Gaping Dragon would have been out of place in it. :D

grmlin

Lol, I finally got to the two sharks everybody is talking about. WTF is this? Thats worse than most bosses I think, I hope that Rakkyo is worth it... someone said one should parry them. But how I'm supposed to do that with an enemy, that delays his attacks with a random number generator every single time?

Stupid fight, now I understand.

Lol, I finally got to the two sharks everybody is talking about. WTF is this? Thats worse than most bosses I think, I hope that Rakkyo is worth it... someone said one should parry them. But how I'm supposed to do that with an enemy, that delays his attacks with a random number generator every single time?

Stupid fight, now I understand.

You can ignore them and later find a shortcut or use a shaman bone on the first one

I saw Ludwig posted in so many boss threads before I played the dlc, so I was pretty hyped for the fight, but it still managed to surpass my expectations. The intro, his second phase epiphany + cutscene, the soundtrack... One of the best bosses in the series. Also love how he evokes both fear and pity. I've read some lore and watched some vids on Ludwig, but none explain why he took that form in particular and how it came to be.

The Moonlight Sword was his strength and his demise
its guidance kept him sane but misleading taking his sanity to a twisted form forever eating the corpses of that abandoned chapel making him Ludwig the Accursed. The benign Phantasm werent so benign on first place or maybe humans cant stand the great ones influence without being twisted and crazy.

There is no ingame items or notes that explain why Ludwig was merged with a Horse, maybe because Ludwig was part of line of heroes, (probably Knights with horses?) called the Holy Blades. So Ludwig would probably be merged with his horse.

Still it doesnt explain the other "head" with eyes , maybe an experiment on him to grant him Insight because he was a tomb prospector before founding the Healing Curch

Is a SKL or STR?

Thinking in doing my next run NG+ after this claws run with it.

It looks lovely.

SKL

Theodran

After a bit of struggle with the Pthumerian Descendant, I finally whopped his ass last night, and moved on to one shot the Headless Bloodletting Beast and kill the Pthumerian Queen, securing the Platinum Trophy.

I think I'll put the game away for a while once I finish NG+, which I am currently breezing through (although I think The Old Hunters will probably put a stop to that).

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Been getting back into the game, having a lot easier time with the DLC a second time around(what a shock). I'm thinking of maybe write a thematic guide to all the weapons, of all the sort of playstyles they invoke. Going through with the Logarious Wheel now. At first I really disliked it because of how slow it is, and because it's slow, its transformed form is garbage. But I stuck with it, and tried to play it in a way that was most fun. And that was SMASH SMASH SMASH Now I really love the transform because the way u do it is back up by three quick steps, and just start revving up that engine as the enemy lumbers towards you. Once you max out, charge and do the aformention SMASH. It's much more a hit and run weapon than I anticipated, where you just kind of keep swinging till you have enough stamina to dash away.

God, I love this game. I normally hate the idea of sequels, but I need one for this. There's a bloodborne playing card game coming and I want it just for something else.

Guys...guys, I did it! I beat Ludwig. Took me around 20 tries total, probably. My solution was to be super aggressive, dodging through his close-range attacks to hit his legs. His second form was a bit easier, as he was much more stationary. Again, sticking close to his legs is what helped me beat him.

I can't tell you how many times I would get to his second phase, die, then IMMIEDATELY be destroyed by his first form, haha. After enough tries I was able to get a good strategy. Only used around seven Blood Vials in total, I think.

Man, that was exhilarating!

Guys...guys, I did it! I beat Ludwig. Took me around 20 tries total, probably. My solution was to be super aggressive, dodging through his close-range attacks to hit his legs. His second form was a bit easier, as he was much more stationary. Again, sticking close to his legs is what helped me beat him.

I can't tell you how many times I would get to his second phase, die, then IMMIEDATELY be destroyed by his first form, haha. After enough tries I was able to get a good strategy. Only used around seven Blood Vials in total, I think.

Man, that was exhilarating!

Best boss ever.

ajb1888

Banned
Wow, just about a year already, since Bloodborne was released!

It has steadily become my favorite game of all time. So many freaking amazing memories of my first playthrough.. and then my second lol..

I'll continue to visit Yharnam for years. Its bloody amazing!!
Happy hunting everyone ^_^

*Stock up on sedatives

grmlin

You can ignore them and later find a shortcut or use a shaman bone on the first one

I have a hard time giving up in this game, no idea why :D

I somehow managed to crit the first one with a visceral, and he had like 100hp left. I used the bone on him nevertheless, he died without making any damage at all to the other one.

My heart was pumping, very intense. Friggin shark guy jumps, I parry (for the first time ever I managed to parry this jumping attack) and do massive damage to him. I killed him with another parry/visceral.
Rakkyo is mine, I'll have to level up strength to 10 first, but I can't wait to use it. Maria looked so cool with it :)

I tried many times and the after the successful run I was like: well, that was easy. I'm sure that luck was with me here.

Soulhouf

It's because I'm human that I need limitations to be able to identify my perimeter and be creative. I get lost very quickly and I can't be efficient when you give me too much freedom.
That's why I prefer doing things chunk by chunk.

Back to Bloodborne, I tried the expansion lv4. Everything went so smooth until I reached Ludwig.
865ebf700194ab0bfceb7f9146014aec.gif

I don't think I have the skill or the patience to beat this guy lv4. It's an achievement on its own that I was able to play the entire main game lv4 so this is where it ends.

My definitive feeling about playing Bloodborne lv4 is that it was a lot harder than Dark Souls 1 and harder than Demon's Souls with the exception of 2 bosses. I didn't finish DS2 lv1 because I got bored pretty quickly. It's a good game but not good enough to go that far.

Next week comes Dark Souls 3 so I'm probably going to replay Dark Souls to prepare myself (to die).

Melchiah

So what's everyone's top 3 favorite looking bosses? I can see an argument for pretty much every one. There's so much creativity and talent that went into them.

Mine:

3) Ebrietas
2) Vicar Amelia
1) Ludwig

As far as the looks go:
  • Mergo's Wet Nurse
  • Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen
  • Watchdog of the Old Lords
And the same for enemies:
  • Church Giant (Cathedral Ward)
  • Cloaked Beast Patient (Old Yharnam)
  • Garden of Eyes (Byrgenwerth)
The sound of the hulking giants, the screams and the glowing eyes beneath the cloaks, and the creepiness of the insectoids. Keeper of the Old Lords in the chalices looks bloody great as well.

The battles themselves:
  • Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
  • Father Gascoigne
  • Martyr Logarius
I liked the story elements and variation they provided. An honorable mention to Blood-starved Beast as well, partly because that was the first boss I learned to beat by parrying.

What I liked the least:
  • Orphan of Kos
  • Pthumerian Descendant (Ihyll chalice)
  • Rom
Basically those I had the most problems with, and I tend to dislike bosses with minions. Abhorrent Beast in the chalices wasn't one of my favorites either.

And favorite locations:
  • Central Yharnam
  • Cathedral Ward (including its sub-sections)
  • Nightmare of Mensis
I liked the gothic and branching locations, which included optional areas, the most in general.

It's because I'm human that I need limitations to be able to identify my perimeter and be creative. I get lost very quickly and I can't be efficient when you give me too much freedom.
That's why I prefer doing things chunk by chunk.

Back to Bloodborne, I tried the expansion lv4. Everything went so smooth until I reached Ludwig.

I don't think I have the skill or the patience to beat this guy lv4. It's an achievement on its own that I was able to play the entire main game lv4 so this is where it ends.

My definitive feeling about playing Bloodborne lv4 is that it was a lot harder than Dark Souls 1 and harder than Demon's Souls with the exception of 2 bosses. I didn't finish DS2 lv1 because I got bored pretty quickly. It's a good game but not good enough to go that far.

Fuck that, you can do this, ludwig was easily the hardest boss to learn at sl4 due to his phase being totally different and overall its a very long fight, but it was also extremely satisfying to master.

The most annoying peroid of learning ludwig was this one....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2O0AMlPb7k&feature=youtu.be&t=4m15s

i agree BB is hardest base level run in terms of optional content, but the main stuff is the easiest.

Next week comes Dark Souls 3 so I'm probably going to replay Dark Souls to prepare myself (to die).
Did you even fight him, get one shotted and quit or did you just get to him and just teleport out after the cutscene?

Veelk

Banned
I haven't been able to play the game for like a week and haven't finished reading the PH, and I'm getting strangely...itchy, for it. Like, the first few days were fine, then it just became on my mind more and more. "I hope I get this done so I have time to play some Bloodborne, get to fight Amelia again"

I've had that kind of reaction from other games, but it was typically when I was still going through them. I've never had it when I officially beat the game, wherein usually I still play because I enjoy it, but I don't feel a craving for it.

Jesus, is this what these games do to people? Give you an actual addiction to them? Will I into withdrawals if I don't play soon? Am I going to have flashbacks years later?

It makes me pretty excited for DS3 atleast. Damn. I was really trying not to become a souls addict because while I really really really like them, the games simply rub me the wrong way in a lot of ways. It's not a good idea to get addicted to something that you have significant issues with, however much you love otherwise.

I haven't been able to play the game for like a week and haven't finished reading the PH, and I'm getting strangely...itchy, for it. Like, the first few days were fine, then it just became on my mind more and more. "I hope I get this done so I have time to play some Bloodborne, get to fight Amelia again"

I've had that kind of reaction from other games, but it was typically when I was still going through them. I've never had it when I officially beat the game, wherein usually I still play because I enjoy it, but I don't feel a craving for it.

Jesus, is this what these games do to people? Give you an actual addiction to them? Will I into withdrawals if I don't play soon? Am I going to have flashbacks years later?

It makes me pretty excited for DS3 atleast. Damn. I was really trying not to become a souls addict because while I really really really like them, the games simply rub me the wrong way in a lot of ways. It's not a good idea to get addicted to something that you have significant issues with, however much you love otherwise.
You're not finished with Bloodborne till it's done with you. Sounds like it turned you into a meth addict. Call for help when your teeth start to hurt.

Veelk

Banned
You're not finished with Bloodborne till it's done with you. Sounds like it turned you into a meth addict. Call for help when your teeth start to hurt.

I just find it really weird. I really, really, really, really like bloodborne....but I don't love it. And yeah, I've written a lot about it here, but you know that's just me being me. I write shit, it's what I do.

Maybe once I start playing a different game, I'll go away. I just got the Gravity Rush remaster a couple weeks back too and I've been meaning to play Planescape Torment since forever.

Soulhouf

Did you even fight him, get one shotted and quit or did you just get to him and just teleport out after the cutscene?

Fought him like 30 times. I managed to reach the 2nd phase a couple of times but I always end up being one-shot pretty quickly.

Fuck that, you can do this, ludwig was easily the hardest boss to learn at sl4 due to his phase being totally different and overall its a very long fight, but it was also extremely satisfying to master.

The most annoying peroid of learning ludwig was this one....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2O0AMlPb7k&feature=youtu.be&t=4m15s

i agree BB is hardest base level run in terms of optional content, but the main stuff is the easiest.

Too late because I leveled up to lv21 and beat it now. It's just too long for a fight were you die from 1 hit. I can't reliably dodge all his attack and end up screwing up sooner or later.

It's funny in your video, you fight him locked on. I always lock off against bosses I don't need to shoot because it's easier that way, especially when they are huge.

Veelk

Banned
It's funny in your video, you fight him locked on. I always lock off against bosses I don't need to shoot because it's easier that way, especially when they are huge.

I might try that against Amelia later on. I like moving faster with the lock off, but I don't like constantly having to recenter on the boss. I always felt that if I did it manually, there would be occasions where I'd turn it to the boss only to see it swiping at me before I could react. I just assumed it was more practical to have the lock on, but I'll try it with lock off next time.

I haven't bought the expansion yet, so question:
In pre-release videos, there are shots showing your character using the Beast Claws and having feral characteristics and abilities. Is this an automatic upgrade, or are there new Beast Claws, or...? How does it work?

Top Bottom