• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Veelk

Banned
There's a rune that lets you let your beast out, and the beast claws work well with that, getting new moves and stuff.

Which reminds me that I need to get the beast claws. I forgot to snatch them in the Loran dungeon.

Soulhouf

I might try that against Amelia later on. I like moving faster with the lock off, but I don't like constantly having to recenter on the boss. I always felt that if I did it manually, there would be occasions where I'd turn it to the boss only to see it swiping at me before I could react. I just assumed it was more practical to have the lock on, but I'll try it with lock off next time.

I don't lock on against Amelia and slash her legs to death. One of the advantages of fighting while locked-off is that you can easily target any part you want. It takes practice but once mastered, it's so good.
You can lock on so that you don't loose track of the boss but lock off as soon as they are in your field of vision. Sometimes even dodging is easier when not locked-on.

One thing I appreciate in DS2 is that even when locked on, you can easily position your attack in any direction you want with big weapons such as Ultra Great Swords.

Raptor

There's a rune that lets you let your beast out, and the beast claws work well with that, getting new moves and stuff.

Which reminds me that I need to get the beast claws. I forgot to snatch them in the Loran dungeon.

This is how you look with them and the Beast Embrance:

rakuyobbpg7.jpg

Went and destroyed the damn Giant Sharks with them, the claws destroy everything and I still dont have the Best Gems for them.

Is a pain in the ass to gather the materiasl to make that R/F/C Ihyll Root Chalice, still short on Yellow Bone and Ritual Blood 5, will farm tonight.

After that is finish the game twice to get the Platinum, I beated the Descendant, Headless Beast and the Queen last night :D

That Descendant tactic to beat him is similar to Abhorrent Beast but dodging to his left side instead of right side, his 2 phase is nasty as hell, probably died to him 40 times or more.

Minamu

Mind you. I prefer her to any boss in Dark Souls 2.

But I don't like puppies in real life, if that makes sense. She happened to look like one...

Yes.
Alright, I'm in one of the glyphs that has the really great dmg% gems finally. Did some Lower Loran red jelly farming first. So what's the consensus on the item discovery runes? Last I heard, they were borderline useless statistically.

KLoWn

Ok, so I invited a woman called Arianna and a nun (Can't remember her name) to the safe place inside the chapel with that withered old crone that keeps going "heh heh hehh", but recently when I teleported there I found Arianna murdered.
I kinda suspect that nun, because she's acting shady as shit, so here's my question: If I decide to kill her, because as long as she's there I don't know if I can call this a safe place, will the other people in here freak out and stop talking to me?

If it impossible to answer the question without spoiling something then don't say anything please.

Ok, so I invited a woman called Arianna and a nun (Can't remember her name) to the safe place inside the chapel with that withered old crone that keeps going "heh heh hehh", but recently when I teleported there I found Arianna murdered.
I kinda suspect that nun, because she's acting shady as shit, so here's my question: If I decide to kill her, because as long as she's there I don't know if I can call this a safe place, will the other people in here freak out and stop talking to me?

If it impossible to answer the question without spoiling something then don't say anything please.
I don't know, but I am pretty sure that (small spoiler):
The Nun only kills Arianna. It's because you kept taking blood vials from her, and the Nun was jealous. You did miss one unrecoverable part of the hidden ending, though. You have 1 more chance.

Look outside the church

Survivors wont freak out of what you do anyway

KLoWn

I don't know, but I am pretty sure that (small spoiler):
The Nun only kills Arianna. It's because you kept taking blood vials from her, and the Nun was jealous. You did miss one unrecoverable part of the hidden ending, though. You have 1 more chance.
Sorry, not reading any spoilers. Was what I was going to say until I caught a glimpse of it since it doesn't spoiler-mark any text while replying to posts
faceplam.png

Something about a hidden ending, but that's spoilery enough lol. *looks away*

Look outside the church

Survivors wont freak out of what you do anyway
Just looked, nothing there.
The only thing that changed briefly was when I found the wicked-ass female hunter of hunters out there, but I don't think she would've done it, and she didn't say anything about it either.

What am I missing?

Goddamn, L
udwig
is infuriating on NG+4 (I think?), the fight shows exactly what I hate about the Soulsborne series.

You have a thing that is 10x larger than you but is 2x faster, has none of the limitations that the player has (commitment to attack direction, stamina use) but every advantage (speed, attack spam, attack tracking), and the thing can cover 40% of the arena you fight in with every attack.

I have to top off my health every time I'm hit or I'll get hit with a 1-shot move or a combo that stunlocks me into death. His 1st-phase charge rush does inconsistent damage, either 90% or 100%, no matter what dmg reduction runes I use. I have to constantly evade which leaves me with no stamina to attack when he's open for 0.7s. And wonky hit-detection all over - his hand slams 4ft to my side but I still get hit. jlawyeahok.gif

Glad I already completed the DLC on NG+ (and I loved it) or else that would've been a waste of $20. If I get Dark Souls 3 I'll make two characters and keep one on NG for the inevitable DLC and take the other through NG+ and beyond.

And I swear the game alters your stamina usage during boss fights. Outside of bosses, I can get an 8-hit combo with the Beasthunter Saif; fighting a boss, I'm lucky to get 5 hits in from full stamina.

Soulhouf

Alright, I'm in one of the glyphs that has the really great dmg% gems finally. Did some Lower Loran red jelly farming first. So what's the consensus on the item discovery runes? Last I heard, they were borderline useless statistically.

Item discovery runes increase the chance to have something drop AND the quality of the drop unlike in Demon's/Dark Souls.

Veelk

Banned
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Greatsword

Hey, is this legit? Because that looks like the Greatsword from DS2, and if it is, then I might already have my giant sword.

Though I'm REEEEEALLY hoping to find something better. Problem with the great sword is that it looks so awfully generic. I want some kind of spice that adds to it's design, you know?

Edit: I guess not. This is the great sword in DS3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3Z9A6hmeA

Hm.....Not feeling this one so much. I want it to be something more than a normal looking sword that's just big.

Minamu

Item discovery runes increase the chance to have something drop AND the quality of the drop unlike in Demon's/Dark Souls.
Is that confirmed? I remember a reddit thing where it was calculated that the runes affected your chances like below 1%, or something like that.

Hey, is this legit? Because that looks like the Greatsword from DS2, and if it is, then I might already have my giant sword.

Though I'm REEEEEALLY hoping to find something better. Problem with the great sword is that it looks so awfully generic. I want some kind of spice that adds to it's design, you know?

Hm.....Not feeling this one so much. I want it to be something more than a normal looking sword that's just big.

It looks like the Greatsword from DS1, which the one in DS2 looks like a big cartoon lollypop version of.

Also spoilers/wrong thread :p

Where is that notebook gif :p

Veelk

Banned
It looks like the Greatsword from DS1, which the one in DS2 looks like a big cartoon lollypop version of.

Also spoilers/wrong thread :p

I mean, the context of my post makes it clear I'm talking about DS3, and I'd rather ask you guys anyway since everyone here knows about my particular obsessions.

I won't ask about it again if people have a problem with it though.

Knuf

Dat feeling when, after you died countless times, you finally kill motherfucking NG+ Laurence all by yourself: dem shivers down the spine, wow.

Steez

Definitely prefer the new look. The greatsword from 2 looks like a shitty rock replica of a cartoon sword. The new one looks like an actual blade.

giphy.gif

I mean, the context of my post makes it clear I'm talking about DS3, and I'd rather ask you guys anyway since everyone here knows about my particular obsessions.

I won't ask about it again if people have a problem with it though.
Personally I don't mind it. I understand where you are coming from.

Minamu

I have a few +27.2% dmg gems now from the dungeons, but is it worth it when they have things like atk vs kin or beast down 10.9%? Seems they all carry some kind of curse (and this feels better than gradually losing hp at least).

myco666

That Greatsword in the video looks more like Zweihander than Greatsword. One in that fextralife link looks like DS1 Greatsword which isn't as wide as the one in DS2. Can't be really sure about these things until the game is out though.

I have a few +27.2% dmg gems now from the dungeons, but is it worth it when they have things like atk vs kin or beast down 10.9%? Seems they all carry some kind of curse (and this feels better than gradually losing hp at least).

They are worth it if you have all three with damage vs beasts down and three others with damage vs kin down. Then you can switch them when you know if you are going to fight mostly beasts or kin. Also the stamina consumption up and lower durability are also good curses to have.

Minamu

They are worth it if you have all three with damage vs beasts down and three others with damage vs kin down. Then you can switch them when you know if you are going to fight mostly beasts or kin. Also the stamina consumption up and lower durability are also good curses to have.
Fair enough, I got two weapons so it's quite easy to just switch those out as well :lol I guess I gotta farm more for some of the better side-effects. I heard that durability is really terrible, but on the other hand, it's never that costly to repair. I think I'll try to find some stamina up ones and maybe some other friendlier stuff :) Thanks.

Soulhouf

Fair enough, I got two weapons so it's quite easy to just switch those out as well :lol I guess I gotta farm more for some of the better side-effects. I heard that durability is really terrible, but on the other hand, it's never that costly to repair. I think I'll try to find some stamina up ones and maybe some other friendlier stuff :) Thanks.

As far as I'm concerned there are very few kin enemies (Brain sucker, celestial emissaries, Rom and Ebrietas) so you're pretty much safe to have kin damage down as far as you don't forget to change weapon against these enemies.

Be careful with the durability one since you'll have to repair your weapon after each attempt. It doesn't reduce the durability but rather the degradation speed . With only one gem with that penalty you have basically a Dark Souls 2 weapon degradation speed.

The worst ones are the damage down (all damage types down) and gradually loosing HP.

Veelk

Banned
Durability is such a lame mechanic. What is the point of it? All it does is make you go down and repair it every time you go down to the hunters dream (or atleast periodically. I did it everytime because I knew if I didn't, I'd forget the one time I had to.). It's busy work.

Raptor

As far as I'm concerned there are very few kin enemies (Brain sucker, celestial emissaries, Rom and Ebrietas) so you're pretty much safe to have kin damage down as far as you don't forget to change weapon against these enemies.

Be careful with the durability one since you'll have to repair your weapon after each attempt. It doesn't reduce the durability but rather the degradation speed . With only one gem with that penalty you have basically a Dark Souls 2 weapon degradation speed.

The worst ones are the damage down (all damage types down) and gradually loosing HP.

The two 27. % I farmed last night were one with -10 and anothjer with -11 VS Kin lols.

Im using both I dont care, but I got angry when I realize I have to do it all again but with the Great Isz chalice since there is where the Triangular best gem is :(

Oh well I will do it.

I have another blood rock, what you guys recomend? Rakuyo? Blade of Mercy? Burial Blade? I want a Physical to put the gems on it too.

I want something powerfull and fast, maybe Blade of Mercy.....I dont know lol.

I think Im done with the Claws for now.

Durability is such a lame mechanic. What is the point of it? All it does is make you go down and repair it every time you go down to the hunters dream (or atleast periodically. I did it everytime because I knew if I didn't, I'd forget the one time I had to.). It's busy work.
In Souls I think durability is part of the series and fits the sword and board setting, plus they streamlined it in DS2 to where it's still a part of the game but not annoying. Sitting at a bonfire, auto repair, only need a blacksmith if it's totally broken - fair and streamlined.

In Bloodborne I think they should've ditched it.

Soulhouf

In Souls I think durability is part of the series and fits the sword and board setting, plus they streamlined it in DS2 to where it's still a part of the game but not annoying. Sitting at a bonfire, auto repair, only need a blacksmith if it's totally broken - fair and streamlined.

In Bloodborne I think they should've ditched it.

I don't like streamlining. It's still an RPG and I like doing a lot of micro management for my character.
DS2's weapon degradation is interesting though because you can't usually finish a level with one weapon before it breaks. It forces you to use a backup weapon.

Minamu

Ah, okay yeah I thought the humans were kin as well. But them being beasts makes sense I suppose. I'll look for those and stamina up then, perhaps. I'm getting the hang of countering the watchers so the fights are pretty fast. Thanks for the help ^^

Raptor

Ah, okay yeah I thought the humans were kin as well. But them being beasts makes sense I suppose. I'll look for those and stamina up then, perhaps. I'm getting the hang of countering the watchers so the fights are pretty fast. Thanks for the help ^^

Im using the Clawmark runes aswell, one Visceral takes like half the life bar lol.

Minamu

:O

You are double as me lol at 135 or something.

:p
I did just over 4400 damage to one of them, which was slightly more than half its hp, if you count the inital shot and counter-stab. I had two clawmark runes. Pretty good but I think that if the eyes work as intended, they're smarter to use if you're farming :)

Just why?
Hehe, no good reason really. I just want to see how far I can go before there's no more pvp available. Might as well put the echoes to good use.

myco666

Hehe, no good reason really. I just want to see how far I can go before there's no more pvp available. Might as well put the echoes to good use.

But why go over 50 on Str? There is barely any benefit doing it and you could have bumped your BT or Arcane up to 50 with those echoes instead.

Minamu

But why go over 50 on Str? There is barely any benefit doing it and you could have bumped your BT or Arcane up to 50 with those echoes instead.
I'll get to that later ;) I'm not much of a spell caster so it wasn't a priority as much as I wanted to see if it was even feasible to reach 99 in any one stat (I've never done that in a souls game before).

So you cant spam R2 on heavy weapons and weapons special abilities making you never touch a bonfire again.

On Ultragreatsowrds you could indefinitely lift off enemies to eternity for example

I'll get to that later ;) I'm not much of a spell caster so it wasn't a priority as much as I wanted to see if it was even feasible to reach 99 in any one stat (I've never done that in a souls game before).

You will definitely do more damage, I hope you invest some points on Vit

Giever

It balances certain special moves by rapidly draining durability, like with the
Holy Moonlight Sword
, and it is one of the few weaknesses of the Tonitrus. They could work harder on making it a more significant mechanic for more weapons, but I wouldn't say it's purely busy work.

EDIT: Whoops, got the first point wrong, was thinking of an earlier Souls game. It actually drains QS bullets in Bloodborne.

grmlin

It balances certain special moves by rapidly draining durability, like with the
Holy Moonlight Sword
, and it is one of the few weaknesses of the Tonitrus. They could work harder on making it a more significant mechanic for more weapons, but I wouldn't say it's purely busy work.

Well, I never hit the wall with my Tonitrus, I simply began to repair it every time I visited the hunters dream. And I use it buffed all the time.

When I forgot to repair it I was annoyed because I had to return to the dream. Especially in NG it's not like you can use 3 weapons upgraded to the same level... so I did not have a choice...

I think in BB this mechanic is completely unnecessary...

Minamu

You will definitely do more damage, I hope you invest some points on Vit
I posted a picture of my stats a few pages ago, most stats are at their soft caps :) I'm at 99 str now btw, would've reached it sooner if not for the eye runes during the 20+ watchers boss fights today.

grmlin

Damn, I can't decide what weapon to use as a partner for my Reiterpallasch.

Beasthunter Saif, Church Pick, Rakuyo

I tend to go with the Church Pick, as it has this nice range I missed on some enemies with the Reiterpallasch. The Rakuyo looks fun but I already have a fast, low range weapon. The saif is the one I have no idea at all.

Maybe I'll have to USB-save try them...

Neat, I beat L
udwig
on my first attempt.

Well...I guess I do have 50 vit, since this is the character I got the platinum with. I just tanked a bunch of hits, hehehehLizard.gif.

Veelk

Banned
I am convinced they made
Moony
easy intentionally.
He's is a boss that comes right after a fairly hard one (atleast if you haven't played the DLC), probably low on health, etc.
I wish they hadn't though. The final
eldritch abomination
should be tough as balls

Top Bottom