• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

ColdPizza

Banned
I've seen people swear by Ludwigs Hily blade but it's just too slow for me, and for some reason it does less damage than my trusty saw blade.

They're both the same level and I've tried swapping out the blood gems and saw blade always does more dmg. Does Holy blade need more base STR and SKILL to really make it better than the saw blade?

Manus

I've seen people swear by Ludwigs Hily blade but it's just too slow for me, and for some reason it does less damage than my trusty saw blade.

They're both the same level and I've tried swapping out the blood gems and saw blade always does more dmg. Does Holy blade need more base STR and SKILL to really make it better than the saw blade?

I'm quite sure the Holy blade scales off arcane the more you level it up.

It helps if you put points into both strength and skill. Saw blade also does bonus damage to beasts. Both weapons scale differently though. I'm pretty sure at some point the LHB does more damage.
I'm quite sure the Holy blade scales off arcane the more you level it up.
Only if you put an arcane gem into it. I think the only two weapons with innate damage are the Burial Blade and Blades of Mercy and most light the Holy Moonlight Sword as well.

How do you get the key for the door at the top of the Cathedral?

Do you remember a dark room, a locked cage, and an item on a chair in that cage? That's where it is, more specifically:
warp to the first Yarghul lamp and run left down the stairs past the laser-shooting Amygdala, when you get to the roof with a group of crazy-ladies and stairs to the 2nd laser-Amygdala, there's an opening in the right-side guardrail that you can drop down from. Follow that to get to the 2nd floor of the dark cage room.

What is that exactly? I see it mentioned here and in Souls threads but never new what it was. I thought it was because of the screams.

The exact reason:
in Berserk, there's a demon-possessed horse that tries to rape a girl. The horse's face looks similar to Ludwig's.

It's a manga. A lot of the artistic elements of the Souls series can be found in Berserk. It was actually quite funny reading Berserk while playing Bloodborne and picking up on the Berserk references.
jacket.aspx
Never read a manga but I might check this out if it evokes souls/bloodborne.

Never read a manga but I might check this out if it evokes souls/bloodborne.

There's an anime, if you want to check that out first, since it's only 25 episodes instead of 300+ chapters of the manga. If you like the anime and want answers to the questions that you will have at its end, then check out the manga. The anime is like Muppet Babies compared to the manga.

The manga is much more dark/disturbing/morbid than anything in soulsborne, IMO.

There's an anime, if you want to check that out first, since it's only 25 episodes instead of 300+ chapters of the manga. If you like the anime and want answers to the questions that you will have at its end, then check out the manga. The anime is like Muppet Babies compared to the manga.

The anime isn't 100% faithful though. There's a lot of stuff that the anime avoided with a central character completely cut out of it.

Beat the master of the nightmare guy,
killed the giant brain thing
and decided to head into the DLC.

U
nseen village
, where to two big guys are protecting a cell, you have to go where the old ladies are, look for a hidden drop point that will lead you to that room but in the upper section.

A stupid question for anyone in here:

If I don't have PS+, will I still be able to get messages left by other players (I'm assuming not)?

No

The anime isn't 100% faithful though. There's a lot of stuff that the anime avoided with a central character completely cut out of it.

Yeah, but it's a nice appetizer for the main course.

Not saying he should only watch the anime, just use it as a primer and a gauge of interest.

-- Just stay away from the movies!

I don't really read manga's either, but Berserk is a damn good read and beautifully animated. Has one of if not the best antagonist.

I'm really interested now. I will check out both. Thanks.

So I've purchased Bloodborne day one and I have an odd relationship with the game. The combat didn't click with me and overall, I just sucked. With help, I managed to kill the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne but I did not feel satisfied. I've played DeS, DaS 1 and 2 and always found a way to progress but BB was giving me so much trouble that I stopped playing for a few months. I return one day, make it to Bloodstarved Beast and killed it my second try. That felt good for awhile but then I could not figure out where to go next and dropped the game again. I would come back and try to find a way to go but could not find it. Eventually I made a new character to start fresh but Cleric Beast was kicking my ass. Flash forward to last week and I give the game another go.

I kill the CB, make my way to FG and he is a roadblock for me. But as I went on fighting him for hours things started to click with me and I'd get closer to victory. I learn how to use my gun and get some ripostes, learn his attack pattern, and eventually FG dies. I was so happy and it felt like a huge accomplishment! After that, I go for the BSB and again kill it on my second attempt. The greatest part after that was finding out where to progress and that's when I see how big some of these areas can be. It felt great exploring a new area. Eventually I make it to Vicar Amelia and wow that was a fun fight. She kept killing me last night but I played a bit today and got her on my first try.

I know I'm babbling but now I feel so excited to play this game. A year ago I thought I would not be able to experience BB and that saddened me as I love the Souls series so much. Watching some DS3 videos really hyped me up for it and it inspired me to give BB another chance. The combat system is just so fun, who needs a shield right? I'm currently at Hemwick Charnel Lane so I'm waiting to see where it'll lead me to next. Thanks for listening guys and gals.

Soulhouf

At the end of Hemwick, you will face the easiest boss in the history of the franchise.

First time I was terrorized of that boss. There were question marks on top of my head during the entire fight. The moment when the witch grabbed my head to snatch my eyes was so cool.
I love that fight because of the setting and the atmosphere alone.

Yeah, but it's a nice appetizer for the main course.

Not saying he should only watch the anime, just use it as a primer and a gauge of interest.

-- Just stay away from the movies!
Even still I'd tell the person to read the manga from the beginning after the anime. There's some stuff during Golden Age that the anime ignores and there's some stuff that the anime didn't even go into regarding Guts' personality, that man is messed up for a reason. The movies are shit. The only thing they got right was the the end of the third.

Caja 117

Yesterday I conquered the upper Cathedral Ward (maybe), very awesome level, lost some insight while at it, and like 45k in echoes.

There is balcony where you gain a gesture, is that all there is to this?

At the end of Hemwick, you will face the easiest boss in the history of the franchise.

Celestial Emissary is right there as well.

Yesterday I conquered the upper Cathedral Ward (maybe), very awesome level, lost some insight while at it, and like 45k in echoes.

There is balcony where you gain a gesture, is that all there is to this?
Go down the elevator, fight
Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos

I forgot that I hate dungeons. I figured I'd create one to farm a gem, but my PSN gold has expired since the last time I played, so I can't even use the codes for that. Creating my own means I need to grind out all these mats...just screw it. I also hate how you need to unlock everything on each character. Bah.

WIll I get a hint in the game on when to use it?

Nope, is really really criptic secuence since is a hidden location that activates when you do a certain thing on the world and let the gesture alone to do a full motion gesture you didnt know the gesture have a full motion gesture and let it be to establish the contact which it never hinted to do it in front of that location.

Mmmm it depends, is a tricky boss if you go blind and focus the
summons
, in coop is nuts since each person can only see one
witch and her summon

Caja 117

Nope, is really really criptic secuence since is a hidden location that activates when you do a certain thing on the world and let the gesture alone to do a full motion gesture you didnt know the gesture have a full motion gesture and let it be to establish the contact which it never hinted to do it in front of that location.]

That sounds like google for me.

Edit: So, I'm not sure if I said it before, but before doing the Upper Cathedral, I completed most of unseen village, I stoped right at a place where you kill a lot of those small Lord Nito kind of looking things, and there is like a very big open area which I'm guessing is the boss of the level, So this is my next move.

silva1991

Not faithful, but it's what will give someone that doesn't read manga to read it(like me lol)

it sucks that it takes the mangaka sometimes a year to finish one chapter(the reason why I stopped reading it)

grmlin

That Orphan of Kos, man. This will take some tries to get the parry timing right. Is the parry window like 5ms or something? And he has this one chain of attacks thats nearly impossible to dodge if he hits with is first swing. I lie on the ground and get the next one right into my face when I stand up again.

Pretty cool boss.

edit: lol, I love it when bosses get stuck in one attack sequence. I got him down to like 20% and then he did not stop doing his jumping attack.

Not faithful, but it's what will give someone that doesn't read manga to read it(like me lol)

it sucks that it takes the mangaka sometimes a year to finish one chapter(the reason why I stopped reading it)
I read the manga before watching the anime. I like the anime, but it just lacked the visceral weight and beauty that the manga has. I like it way more than the movies though. The movies were a mistake. It's like Berserk in music video form.

grmlin

So any tips with the Orphan?

The first phase is ok. But the second one? I don't know. Most of his combos throw me to the ground with no chance to doge the next one. Is there an armor/rune/something that reduces the downtime? I always get on my feet again exactly when the next attack hits. Sometimes I survive with maybe 5hp, but as he is full aggro in this mode there is no time to recover.

And can't he be backstabbed in his second phase? I tried but it never worked.

This boss feels like Logarius, I'll have to wait for a good try... I don't like that. Or is he designed to be beaten without taken any hits?

Edit: Nevermind! I killed him of course after asking you for help...

Witches defeated, was incredibly easy especially compared what I fought so far. Now I just need to find out where to go next.
This should be easy for you SMT bro. For the most part I think after Amelia the game doesn't get that much harder unless you start dealing with the chalice dungeons.

grmlin

This should be easy for you SMT bro. For the most part I think after Amelia the game doesn't get that much harder unless you start dealing with the chalice dungeons.

I don't know, there are some pretty crazy sections later on. The starting areas are pretty easy compared to these once you got used to the game.

- brainsuckers upper cathedral
- the forbidden woods are confusing as hell and easy to die at on first try
- the whole nightmare(s) with the winter lanterns as a special gift

For me the game got harder all the time. But it was all manageable because I knew what I was doing :) And I loved it!

Now, after finishing the DLC, nothing will stop me lol

I don't know, there are some pretty crazy sections later on. The starting areas are pretty easy compared to these once you got used to the game.

- brainsuckers upper cathedral
- the forbidden woods are confusing as hell and easy to die at on first try
- the whole nightmare(s) with the winter lanterns as a special gift

For me the game got harder all the time. But it was all manageable because I knew what I was doing :) And I loved it!

Now, after finishing the DLC, nothing will stop me lol
I keep forgetting about the "first time through" caveat.
Nightmare of Mensis
for the most part is the only main game area that annoys the shit out of me still.
The brainsuckers
can go suck an egg though. That upstairs room is one of the best uses for Blue Elixirs.

Have you fought Amelia?

Yes, killed her before I went to Hemwick. She gave me trouble but got her down.

SMT bro! Love it. :) A few posts above I described some troubles i had with BB (well aside from personal issues) but seems I got through that and can now enjoy the game. I'm really loving it.

SMT bro! Love it. :) A few posts above I described some troubles i had with BB (well aside from personal issues) but seems I got through that and can now enjoy the game. I'm really loving it.
Looks like you got over that hump though. What weapon you using? I personally find Devil Survivor a lot harder than Bloodborne. That fucking Beldr fight has been a wall so I'm just trying to level grind in that game.

So Henryk killed the old lady and now I can't seem to damage him. Is there anything besides "get good" I should be shooting for in trying to beat him?

I think my current stats are like 20 VIT, 15 END, 16 STR, 16 Skill and everything else is untouched. I have a +3 Saw Cleaver and +3 Hunter Axe.

So Henryk killed the old lady and now I can't seem to damage him. Is there anything besides "get good" I should be shooting for in trying to beat him?

I think my current stats are like 20 VIT, 15 END, 16 STR, 16 Skill and everything else is untouched. I have a +3 Saw Cleaver and +3 Hunter Axe.
I've only ever fought Henryk legit once when I first started the game. I have a near perfect way of fighting him. I'm not sure if it's cheesy though since I mainly just lure him and don't even touch the guy till Eileen starts fighting him. I guess just learn to parry him since my method is useless to you since Eileen is dead.

Finished the DLC...was awesome. Some disturbing new locations and enemies, a nice increase in difficulty, and just giving the base game some much needed content. I kinda wish it had a little more closure after the final battle, and I would have liked to have some of the content integrated into the main game (weapons, items), but it was well worth the $20.

Oedon ward have 4/5 Paths, Henwick was one of them.

The other ones are O
ld Yharman
, a Dead end, Grand Cathedral and a Closed Door.

Edit: Nevermind, I actually did do the Grand Cathedral lol. I found the closed door that is protected by that frenzy inducing blue spirit.

Looks like you got over that hump though. What weapon you using? I personally find Devil Survivor a lot harder than Bloodborne. That fucking Beldr fight has been a wall so I'm just trying to level grind in that game.

I'm using a Saw Cleaver+5 and recently bought Ludwig's Holy Blade. Yeah, Beldr is pretty tough and I had trouble with him too. That was years ago so I don't really remember much from that game.

I'm using a Saw Cleaver+5 and recently bought Ludwig's Holy Blade. Yeah, Beldr is pretty tough and I had trouble with him too. That was years ago so I don't really remember much from that game.
I swear everybody starts with that weapon. I like the LHB, but I can never finish the game with it, it just seems to bore me for some reason.

Top Bottom