• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Sulik2

Hello. I've ordered a PS4 and Bloodborne, so I'll join this community soon. Anyway, a question. I've ordered the normal edition of the game because it was part of a deal, not the GOTY edition, so I'm missing the DLC, but I'll eventually get it. Should I get it before or after I finish the game though?

Its mid-to-late game content so you want it on your first play through. Its brutal on NG+, it integrates well into the main game too.

gwailo

Banned
I played through Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and part of Dark Souls 2 before my PS3 died on me, so it has taken a bit to get used to this gameworld/rules. But things are starting to click now. I beat Father Gascoigne last night. Feels good man.

Orcastar

Been sick with the flu all week and in my delirium I decided to finally properly delve into the chalice dungeons despite absolutely hating them when I cleared the first two on my first character last year. Unsurprisingly it's been just as boring and repetitive as I imagined it would be. Or it was, until I reached the defiled chalice dungeon, which is just straight up garbage with the HP halving gimmick and regular enemies that can one-shot my lvl 129 and 34 vit character. I managed to reach the first boss but after around 10 attempts that all ended with me being killed for making just one mistake, I just can't anymore, I just can't. Seriously, who the hell thought that hiding unique bosses and lore behind bullshit like this was a good idea?

Sulik2

Been sick with the flu all week and in my delirium I decided to finally properly delve into the chalice dungeons despite absolutely hating them when I cleared the first two on my first character last year. Unsurprisingly it's been just as boring and repetitive as I imagined it would be. Or it was, until I reached the defiled chalice dungeon, which is just straight up garbage with the HP halving gimmick and regular enemies that can one-shot my lvl 129 and 34 vit character. I managed to reach the first boss but after around 10 attempts that all ended with me being killed for making just one mistake, I just can't anymore, I just can't. Seriously, who the hell thought that hiding unique bosses and lore behind bullshit like this was a good idea?

I don't think the Chalice dungeons are meant to be completed in one playthrough. I made it a ways in, got bored and finished the game and started new game plus. Came back in 50 levels later to the dungeons with 50 vitality and 50 str and +10 weapon and they were way more fun. 129 is underleveled for the defiled.

rulerk1

getting to the point where I can slay bosses without help (or maybe the bosses just have more exploitable weakness). The mad dash to the lamp in the Unseen Village is clusterfuck with the lasers and Grave Women after you. Can't catch your breath while you're there

First play through update:

I am at (Boss 4 spoiler) V
icar
A
melia
's doorstep.

All the exploration has just been wondrous. Had I known I would fall madly in love with this game, I would have bought a PS4 for it last year.

Anyway, ventured off to the left, saw new area, backtracked to the right of grand cathedral and got my ass handed to me. Small steps. Got lost for a bit but exploring is part of the fun!

So now questions:

1. I am a 15 Vitality, 15 Stamina and 32 strength character. At some point, if I keep pumping into strength only, do I hit a ceiling in terms of how effective my character is? Like, I remember in DS 2, for example, there was a point where the small upgrade to a stat worth the amount of souls needed for it. Just marginal upgrade really.

2. I, er, didn't know you could parry. How do I do this? (Sporting hunter axe +3

1. Stats stop scaling as much at 25 and again at 50. The hard cap is 99, but builds generally stop at 50.

2. You shoot enemies with your gun at certain points in their animation (usually just as they're winding up to attack). If you're using the Axe in its 2-handed trick state I don't think you can parry.

rtcn63

You've got a bit too many points in strength IMO compared to the other two. (This early on in the game) I did the same thing my first playthrough, and for my second, switching to high health and stamina (the softcap for stamina is actually pretty low) did wonders in having a much easier time.

Weapon damage gets augmented primarily by upgrading and gems, I believe.

First play through update:

I am at (Boss 4 spoiler) V
icar
A
melia
's doorstep.

All the exploration has just been wondrous. Had I known I would fall madly in love with this game, I would have bought a PS4 for it last year.

Anyway, ventured off to the left, saw new area, backtracked to the right of grand cathedral and got my ass handed to me. Small steps. Got lost for a bit but exploring is part of the fun!

So now questions:

1. I am a 15 Vitality, 15 Stamina and 32 strength character. At some point, if I keep pumping into strength only, do I hit a ceiling in terms of how effective my character is? Like, I remember in DS 2, for example, there was a point where the small upgrade to a stat worth the amount of souls needed for it. Just marginal upgrade really.

2. I, er, didn't know you could parry. How do I do this? (Sporting hunter axe +3

Hello there fellow hunter,

1.- Str stops scaling at 50

2.- You can parry with your gun, in case of two hand weapon you have to hit the boss when he/she/it is about to do a hard hit on you or when you deal enough damage on one of his/her weak point which is usually their head for example, Amelia can be stuned if you hit her head several times. In your case the hunter Axe is not good for stunning because its charge attack does two hits, the first one always does the stun and the second one does the bonus damage

Quick update:

Explored the Cathedral and got a ton of the blood shards which I used to upgrade my Sawcleaver and Hunter Pistol to +3. Threw some gems on them as well. I went to
Old Yharnam
and took on BSB. It's design was cool, but he(she?) was a pushover. I parried most of it's attacks except that dashing one which always seems to miss if you
dodge to the left.
The area was more difficult than the boss tbh. After that, the door on the right by the
Cathedral Ward lantern
opened and I went to the H
ealer's
W
orkshop.
There was a locked door at the very top that I couldn't get through, but I rolled off a ledge on the first row and found O
ld
A
bandoned
W
orkshop.
It looked a lot like the
Hunter's Dream except the Doll was dead. Wtf!

Dropped 10k on that badge to open the cathedral gate. Made it to the boss door, but I decided to explore left first and found H
emwick
C
harnel
L
ane
I kinda rushed through that
forest so I didn't see if there were any good items there.
Going to check back there tomorrow. Still need to explore the right side before the boss door too.

Edit: Oh yeah, I sent that woman near the sewer in
Central Yharnam
to
Cathedral Ward
too! The way the dude in the red cloak was talking reminded me of her.

One question, How do I use runes? I got the communion one in the
Healer's Workshop.

françois

Quick update:

One question, How do I use runes? I got the communion one in the
Healer's Workshop.

You'll soon get the ability to do so. After killing t
he witch of hemwick
in Hemwick Charnel Lane you'll find the tool you need to equip these. It's in the room past the bossroom.
Won't take too long to get it since the boss is a pushover.

rulerk1

After killing the One Reborn does it despawn the enemies in the area? Mainly the chime women and the coffins? Need to know if I just need to make a mad dash to the boss or If the items are worth it

BL4. DO IT

don't do it.
Haha I thought about doing a BL4 or SL1 run but as of now I don't have that much free time to "git Gud ":p

and I don't think I am that good enough to do a BL4 and SL1 run even tho I have played a lot and plantium that every souls games and bloodborne expect for demons souls.
I make too many mistakes often :(

françois;204174447 said:
You'll soon get the ability to do so. After killing t
he witch of hemwick
in Hemwick Charnel Lane you'll find the tool you need to equip these. It's in the room past the bossroom.
Won't take too long to get it since the boss is a pushover.

Thanks!

i just BOUGHT DLC as I heard it starts right after V.A, who I just slaughtered last night.
Yep pretty much walk out of cathedral ward and let the hand grab you. But I will also say the dlc is meant for end game. Pretty much right before the final boss. The dlc has some of the toughest boss fight IMO.

One shotted W
itches
of H
emwick.
Reminded me of Deacons of the Deep in DS3 except the adds are even less of a threat. You can pretty much ignore them for the most part.

That little forest area between Hemwick and the Cathedral had fuckall in it except regular blood shards and bullets lol. At least I have the
rune workshop tool
now though.

Throwing Knives seem kinda OP at this point in the game. Pulled em out for those 4 rifleman that were mobbed up at the back lmao.

Orcastar

I don't think the Chalice dungeons are meant to be completed in one playthrough. I made it a ways in, got bored and finished the game and started new game plus. Came back in 50 levels later to the dungeons with 50 vitality and 50 str and +10 weapon and they were way more fun. 129 is underleveled for the defiled.

Completed the lower Loran dungeon and grinded some echoes to get myself to lvl 140 and 45 vit, after which I managed to get past the first boss in the defiled dungeone, only to find out that the second boss is an even bigger bullshit fest. Seriously, giving bosses ridiculous amounts of HP and multiple moves that can one-hit kill you is a really cheap and lazy way to up the difficulty. Fights like this aren't fun like some of the more challenging bosses in the main game and the DLC, they're just frustrating.

Completed the lower Loran dungeon and grinded some echoes to get myself to lvl 140 and 45 vit, after which I managed to get past the first boss in the defiled dungeone, only to find out that the second boss is an even bigger bullshit fest. Seriously, giving bosses ridiculous amounts of HP and multiple moves that can one-hit kill you is a really cheap and lazy way to up the difficulty. Fights like this aren't fun like some of the more challenging bosses in the main game and the DLC, they're just frustrating.

The Dog is pretty easy when you figure out
only one of his moves can kill you
, the key in the Defiled chalice is having a good gears, you cant just simply go undergeared for that part of the chalice

Orcastar

The Dog is pretty easy when you figure out
only one of his moves can kill you
, the key in the Defiled chalice is having a good gears, you cant just simply go undergeared for that part of the chalice

It has at least two moves that can kill me in one hit, the charge and the pounce that it starts doing at low HP. As for gear, I don't understand how I could be undergeared with a +10
Rakuyo
reinforced with two +18% physical attack gems and one +23% physical attack gem. Where would I get better gear than that?

SDR-UK

It has at least two moves that can kill me in one hit, the charge and the pounce that it starts doing at low HP. As for gear, I don't understand how I could be undergeared with a +10
Rakuyo
reinforced with two +18% physical attack gems and one +23% physical attack gem. Where would I get better gear than that?

You're pretty well geared for the encounter, only gems that you could get better than what you have are within the Chalice Dungeons later on such as the 27.2% physical, 65+ strength, etc.

Wrecked V
icar
A
melia
. How does a big boss like that stagger more than the
Abyss Watchers
lol. Must've been a joke for Groovy with his strength level. Her design is so dope though.

Fear the old blood!
I really like the storytelling so far.

Edit: Looks like the lady I sent to the CW went mad.

Wrecked V
icar
A
melia
. How does a big boss like that stagger more than the
Abyss Watchers
lol. Must've been a joke for Groovy with his strength level. Her design is so dope though.

Fear the old blood!
I really like the storytelling so far.

Edit: Looks like the lady I sent to the CW went mad.

You want to compare a good designed boss against a good looking boss.

silva1991

Challenge dungeon with tough conditions isn't garbage design

even DMC has one hit kill mode(hell and hell) and no one complained and it's much harder game.

silva1991

Apples and oranges. This kind of design is antithetical to the design philosophy of the Souls series.

Demon Souls death punishment mechanics says otherwise.

have you ever fought red phantoms in a black world tendency in Demon souls on NG+ and so? one shot kill was their purpose in that game especially Selen Vinland.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Demon Souls death punishment mechanics says otherwise.

have you ever fought red phantoms in a black world tendency in Demon souls on NG+ and so? one shot kill was their purpose in that game especially Selen Vinland.
?
Selen Vinland never OHKO'd me, because I always levelled up Vitality...

Very few things OHKO in these series. Even in Chalice Dungeons, if you have decent VIT most things won't OHKO.

silva1991

?
Selen Vinland never OHKO'd me, because I always levelled up Vitality...

Very few things OHKO in these series. Even in Chalice Dungeons, if you have decent VIT most things won't OHKO.

To be fair it was like NG+5 or something

black phantoms in pure black world tendency do stupid damage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
To be fair it was like NG+5 or something

black phantoms in pure black world tendency do stupid damage.
Well okay, NG+5 and PBWT probably has some attacks bordering on OHKO yes but... that's pretty darn specific circumstances to be talking about the games' general design philosophy.

silva1991

Well okay, NG+5 and PBWT probably has some attacks bordering on OHKO yes but... that's pretty darn specific circumstances to be talking about the games' general design philosophy.

Again me and my bad wording, but good intentions :p

of course OHKO isn't the general design philosophy

I would say defiled dungeon is a certaincircumstance too/harsh challenge.

I can fully understand why it's bullshit design though so that's fine.

zma1013

Is it possible to transfer a save to a different PS4 and account? My friend recently had his PS4 stolen and he did not have cloud saves enabled. I was wanting to run through and quickly do it for him and get him back to the spot he left off at because he was nearly at the end of the game.

So I went to the left of the cathedral to get my vials and echoes up(for fire paper) and I noticed that the two enemies that are usually there weren't. I went around the corner towards Old Yharnam and killed everyone except this new
hooded enemy that hit harder than I expected. I died and it transported me
to the Gaol place Katamari was talking about earlier.

I went up against D
arkbeast
P
aarl
and died the first time because I got too greedy(he was down to half), but the second time I played a little more carefully, knocked him down several times with charged R2s and got him!

That was probably the most intense fight so far along with the Cleric. It wasn't too difficult since he doesn't have that many attacks and they're easy to read, but man I felt like that was a great fight!

Oh I have to say that the sky change is lovely. Gives the game more of a horror vibe.

Is it possible to transfer a save to a different PS4 and account? My friend recently had his PS4 stolen and he did not have cloud saves enabled. I was wanting to run through and quickly do it for him and get him back to the spot he left off at because he was nearly at the end of the game.

Yes, you can on his account then transfer his account save to annother console with his account

Deku Tree

I did everything in this game except beating optional L
awrence
in the DLC.

Want to return to the game and get it done. I have and can upgrade basically everything on my save file.

What is the most OP weapon and OP strat to beat Ludwig? Any videos? Thanks!

Yeah I went to that area a bit earlier as soon as I was abducted. Forgot where I was heading.

So I beat area past forest and the bosses there. Got rune equipment thingy.

I guess I head to the right of grand cathedral meow?

Yup. There's actually another secret area around the Healing Church Workshop if you
roll of the ledge on the first floor of the tower. There will be a T section at the start of the wooden platforms. Walk off of the left side slightly before that T junction and you'll hit a smaller platform. It'll take off a lot of health so heal up and then walk off the back right onto another platform and there will be a door in front of you that you can open.

Soulhouf

Chalice Dungeons depth 3, 4 and 5 are equivalent to NG+n in Souls games and those have enemies/bosses with a few OHKO attacks.
Not every attack will OHKO you in the Defiled Chalice despite the half health bar. Learning how to dodge/avoid these dangerous attacks is part of the Souls/Bloodborne games design.

Chalice Dungeons depth 3, 4 and 5 are equivalent to NG+n in Souls games and those have enemies/bosses with a few OHKO attacks.
Not every attack will OHKO you in the Defiled Chalice despite the half health bar. Learning how to dodge/avoid these dangerous attacks is part of the Souls/Bloodborne games design.

The defiled chalices are a good challenge if, like me, you tend to be fairly overlevelled. It meant I actually had to learn the attacks patterns properly. :p

Defiled tier 2 boss
Watchdog of the Old Lords
was a lot harder for me than the tier 3 one, though. Like, I'm not sure if it actually took more attempts. I think
Amydala
actually took more, but tier 2 was way more frustrating for me than tier 3.

Top Bottom