• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

I killed the
Moon Presence,
and somehow I croaked as it was dying.

299,000 echoes gone because you cant go back into the boss room. At level 77 that's a LOT.

Im salty.

silva1991

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to place 2-3 bell maidens that summons millions of spiders in one room is a good idea? fucking bullshit.

Rozart

Paarl is kicking my ass and im lvl 40 already
N7ZURZd.png
. Cannot see shit when im close. Im swinging and and whiffing most of the time. It is very agile too. Crap.

What weapon are you using? The Kirkhammer is great at breaking his poise and the reach of Ludwig's Blade greatsword is a great assest to have for this battle as well.

valkyre

What is GAF's OT record number? Bloodborne seems to have absolutely crazy legs. I never expected the game to be so popular. Awesome!

danthefan

I would say, as for any of the Oath Runes, it's not really a game-breaking loss for you. Crazy high stamina or regen isn't nearly as important as it was in the Souls games.

But for min/max'ing, there no way around it ;)

Ah I don't really go for min/maxing, I'll just play through it my own way. Cheers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, when you're in co-op, is there actually a sinister bell woman somewhere in every zone? I've only seen a couple of them (Byrgenworth, Forbidden Woods).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Played for a good 90-odd hours now, I'm wondering, how would everyone rank the weapons?

For my money, I'd go:

1: Saw Cleaver -- extremely versatile move-set, with effective vertical and horizontal swings on each weapon form. Probably the most practical at it's base form, just R1'ing most enemies is so damn good! I picked it as my starting weapon and it carried me single handily through at least 60 hours of my playtime.

2: Ludwigs Holy Blade -- Not a huge fan of the standard long-sword, but the greatsword form is phenomenal, this would have been the kirkhammers slot were it not for Ludwigs charged R2 advantage. Pulling it off and going right into a visceral off pure damage nets the best feeling of satisfaction I've gotten out of Bloodborne.

3: Chikage -- Honestly I'm probably better with the Hunters Axe or the Tonitrus, but the transformed Chikage is just so damn interesting conceptually. The blood dripping from the blade while your health deteriorates might not sound like fun, but running around un-sheathing the blade, getting a few swift hits in, and then sheathing it before the enemy vaporises while noticing your health has barley ticked down just makes you feel like a bad-ass.

1. Hunter's Axe: I think of ALL the weapons available in this game, Hunter's Axe is the one most befitting of the word versatile. The charged R2 is pure sex, and the charged R1 is so powerful it can down many type of enemies easily (and also pure sex if you manage to hit enemies with it.) The polearm form has great reach and also good movesets and good damage, and with it you can hit heads of large bosses with relative ease. Best weapon IMO.

2. Saw Cleaver/Saw Spear: I consider these two to be interchangeable, although if I have to rank them to one another Saw Cleaver is a *bit* higher. Great for fighting Hunters due to their fast attack capabilities and the fact that the 2nd form can be wielded with a gun is a great boon. Each lacks stun capabilities of Hunter's Axe though, and it can cause problems in various scenarios.

Those are my top two/three.

Paarl is kicking my ass and im lvl 40 already
N7ZURZd.png
. Cannot see shit when im close. Im swinging and and whiffing most of the time. It is very agile too. Crap.

For most of the fights, if not all, just don't lock on to him and make sure to GET UNDER HIS BELLY as your main priority (and yes, even during his super-charged later phase where the electricity on him seems a bit more "super") and hack the legs without mercy, this will down him. If he jumps away from you, CHASE HIM and don't let up and repeat the process. Don't try to attack him from the outside, attack him FROM the inside.

Also, use Cannon if you have one, lol.

If you use that tactic above Paarl is actually imho one of the easiest boss fights in the game, if not the easiest. I even peg it as easier than the Witches.

Alpende

Which weapon should I +10? I have a cane +9, Blades of Mercy +8 and I'm on NG now but want to mix it up a bit. I have every weapon available except for the cannon. So. should I +10 a completely different weapon and if so, which one. I'm built on skill.

Which weapon should I +10? I have a cane +9, Blades of Mercy +8 and I'm on NG now but want to mix it up a bit. I have every weapon available except for the cannon. So. should I +10 a completely different weapon and if so, which one. I'm built on skill.

+10 the weapon you like most.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Honestly it's you who is best to answer that question; which one that you are most comfortable with.

I'd personally pick Blades of Mercy though.

Greddleok

If you like being cool, then the Blades of Mercy would be my choice. I'll echo what others have said though - choose the one you like the move set of, that's the best weapon you'll find.

valkyre

1. Hunter's Axe: I think of ALL the weapons available in this game, Hunter's Axe is the one most befitting of the word versatile. The charged R2 is pure sex, and the charged R1 is so powerful it can down many type of enemies easily (and also pure sex if you manage to hit enemies with it.) The polearm form has great reach and also good movesets and good damage, and with it you can hit heads of large bosses with relative ease. Best weapon IMO.

2. Saw Cleaver/Saw Spear: I consider these two to be interchangeable, although if I have to rank them to one another Saw Cleaver is a *bit* higher. Great for fighting Hunters due to their fast attack capabilities and the fact that the 2nd form can be wielded with a gun is a great boon. Each lacks stun capabilities of Hunter's Axe though, and it can cause problems in various scenarios.

Those are my top two/three.

For me my 2 favorite are:

1) Ludwig's sword. The 2 handed mode is just sublime. The moveset is perfect and the weapon is quite fast for a 2 hander. It interrupts almost all enemy attacks and even most bosses. If you have enough stamina it can seriously be OP as it can stunlock even bosses... its crazy actually. Best weapon by far imho.

2) Hunter's Axe. Great 1 handed mode with an amazing visceral attack. The 2 handed mode is also good, but only in special case/scenarios. And mostly for its visceral attack. The normal moveset of 2 handed mode is not that great though.

2AdEPT

Ahhh god, Old Yharnam, having to do everything while under
a constant hail of machine gun fire :(

The game is hard enough as it is!

Yeah its kinda cool though, and if you went in the front door you were warned that it was not a good idea to kill things in there.....good news is that:

You can make the machime gunner your friend if you want...

blade of mercy is by far the most fun weapon in the game, and although there is less reach than other weapons, the fact you cna travel great distance quickly iwth the dodges makes that a moot point.

Sayad

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to place 2-3 bell maidens that summons millions of spiders in one room is a good idea? fucking bullshit.

LOL I can't imagine the reactions of people who opened that door in the Ailing Loran Chalice.
2 red spiders bell maidens, 2 warewolves and 4 none summoned red spiders if my count was current. "Who thought this was a good idea -__-" is what was going through my head during the fight, that and the image of Miyazaki's sinister smile. Cheesed it by poking the bell maidens with dash attacks while running from the spiders/warewolves, don't think it can be done any other way, unless you can one shot the maidens. Did it from the first try though, so in retrospective, it was a cool encounter. :)

A few thoughts on the game now that ive finished it, good and bad:

First off, it's easily the best game ive played on PS4. But its not perfect. I found a few things pretty irritating, firstly and probably my biggest gripe was the health vial mechanic. At first it isnt a problem as pretty much all the enemies in central Yharnham drop them. But as you get further on the vial drops get less and less and in the end you basically have to start farming them in central yharnham. That pissed me off as it pretty much did nothing but slow down progress in later areas and meant that if you had a tough time against a boss, youd find yourself out of echoes, and out of vials, with no choice but to go farm for both.

Some of the areas had pretty cheap mechanics such as the respawning enemies in Unseen Village. Which was a real shame because UV as a location, was amazing. Suddenly the game flipped the script and went from gothic horror with a hint of Lovecraft into straight up HP Lovecraft all up in your shit nameless insane gods and tentacled monstrosities straight out of the far end of the cosmos all over the fucking place. I wouldve loved to explore it but the respawning meant the best way to tackle it was literally to peg it right from beginning to end. A waste of an amazing area.

Rom. Seriously, ive been over this so much ill not waste any more time on it but fuck that shit. Worst boss in any souls game, ever. Bed of Chaos was better than that shit.

Again another gripe is something that Demons/Dark are guilty of too, and thats most of the best gear you get, you get right at the start. I used the hunters axe right up until i got to Cainhurst. And i was using the standard Hunter Garb for the first 3rd of the game, the charred hunter garb for the second 3rd, and most fo the finale too. It jsut seems like aside from aesthetics, most of the gear you find as your progress really isnt all the much better stats wise from the shit you get near the beginning.

The good pretty much outweighs any negatives tho. The removal of the shield really is like removing an old crutch. It forces you to really try and fucking git gud. I did a couple of no shield runs in Dark Souls and only ever made it maybe as far as gaping dragon before giving up. But in BB youre forced into it from the word go and it really makes for a totally different game.

The maps are almost all amazingly designed too. Theres no end game lull like Izalith or TOTG (even tho i personally like those areas). The only area i didnt really like was Nightmare Frontier. It was jsut a confusing sea of brown lumps that made navigating it a chore. But on the flipside of that, Nightmare of Mensis i think should go down as possibly the greatest map in any souls game. From top to bottom it was incredibly well designed, with a ton of shortcuts to unlock, a bunch of optional areas, and 2 bosses. I also loved how it fucked with your expectations too, in regards to the enemies. You come across some bog standard flopping crow enemies only to realize they are crows but with dogs heads. And the same happens when you come across dogs, only to realize they now have crow heads. And thats another plus point, this game has, hands down, the best, fucking BEST designed enemies ive ever seen. They so absolutely disgusting that honestly at times i felt genuinely grossed out (that brainsucker attack :dread: ). The singing eyeball monstrosities in Mensis were amazingly creepy too, alongside the human faced spiders. Im not even joking but the day i played through Mensis, that night my wife said in the middle of the night i was talking in my sleep and said "Gross..", and she when she asked me what i was talking about i said "i was dreaming about spiders" :lol: (i have no memory of this)

But BB for me is like the greatest Lovecraft game never made. From Hemwick to Nightmare of Mensis, to Unseen Village, the game is pretty much a love letter to everything Lovecraft ever wrote about. And tbh, i tried reading Lovecraft last year and while i love the world and mythos he created, i found the writing a bit boring in some stories and highly repetitive, but this game really brings to life everything great about Lovecraft's writing: Hostile villagers protecting hidden nightmarish secrets, unspeakable abominations from the blackness of space, ancient insane gods, you name it, BB has it. The art style, the monster design, the world design, everything about it is flawless.

I also like that it went, thankfully, in the opposite direction of DS2 which jsut chucked nothing but bosses at you and didnt care wether they were good, bad or bloody terrible. BB had a smaller selection of much more memorable bosses (such as Rom!!), but they were mostly well designed, both mechanically and artistically. Big shout out to Ebrietas who looks like a cross between Jeff Goldblum at the end of 'The Fly' and a butchers window.

Overall, i still dont know if its better than Dark Souls, i think ill always probably prefer the whole Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic of DS, but BB is definitely an insane, many tentacled singing eyeball monster masterpiece

Durden77

Finally beat it tonight! What an amazingly satisfying experience. Hell of a fucking game.

Ate 4 cords so I got the ending where I turned into a little dark octopus? What the fuck? Is that me becoming a "great one?".

Garhem was such a sick boss fight. Probably my favorite in the game. Once I learned when to parry him, he became easier, but was still just so challenging and fucking intense throughout. Moon Presence was a bit more under-whelming, but still cool.

red720

I killed the
Moon Presence,
and somehow I croaked as it was dying.

299,000 echoes gone because you cant go back into the boss room. At level 77 that's a LOT.

Im salty.

All you have to do is get through NG+ without dying - I don't know what you are worrying about

Any tips, currently take on the boss fight in
the forbidden woods
The
shadow of yharnam

Use electricity or fire

One more thing, is there another shortcut to the boss battle? I've only unlocked the gate near the lantern where you go down the lift.

myco666

Nope, like in the other soul games when you attack an NPC it will be aggressive until you kill him/her.

You could de-aggro NPCs in Dark Souls.

Played for a good 90-odd hours now, I'm wondering, how would everyone rank the weapons?

Still haven't tried everything in combat so can't really rank them but I really like Hunters Axe moveset and Ludwigs Holy Blade. Threaded Cane is also great.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, I attacked E
ileen the Crow
by mistake. Anything I can do to rectify that?

By standing on a plank back on the room before her and baiting her to die from fall damage.

That's how you rectify it, lol.

1) Ludwig's sword. The 2 handed mode is just sublime. The moveset is perfect and the weapon is quite fast for a 2 hander. It interrupts almost all enemy attacks and even most bosses. If you have enough stamina it can seriously be OP as it can stunlock even bosses... its crazy actually. Best weapon by far imho.

2) Hunter's Axe. Great 1 handed mode with an amazing visceral attack. The 2 handed mode is also good, but only in special case/scenarios. And mostly for its visceral attack. The normal moveset of 2 handed mode is not that great though.

Ludwig's 2 handed is indeed better than the Axe but Axe's 2 handed mode is also versatile in various situations. The jumping attack, the overhead slam, beautiful.

the forbidden woods
The
shadow of yharnam

Use electricity or fire

One more thing, is there another shortcut to the boss battle? I've only unlocked the gate near the lantern where you go down the lift.
There should be a gate you can unlock going up those stairs instead of towards the boss.

Rozart

the forbidden woods
The
shadow of yharnam

Use electricity or fire

There's another shortcut which operates the other elevator in the windmill. But I don't use that for my run to the boss. If you follow the stairs straight up from the boss' fog door, you'll come across another locked gate. That's the path I use. I'll just go down the elevator by the lantern, keep mostly to the right and run past all the enemies straight to that gate. You go down the stairs and tadaah, you're now at the fog door.

sappyday

the forbidden woods
The
shadow of yharnam

Use electricity or fire

There is another lift on the other side of where the boss room is located. It's near the firefly pond. Take it and you'll be near the shortcut you already have available.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There's another shortcut which operates the other elevator in the windmill. But I don't use that for my run to the boss. If you follow the stairs straight up from the boss' fog door, you'll come across another locked gate. That's the path I use. I'll just go down the elevator by the lantern, keep mostly to the right and run past all the enemies straight to that gate. You go down the stairs and tadaah, you're now at the fog door.

.......................huh. I noticed this path once thinking "huh, so you can jump down to there from here."

Wonder why I never actually used it...............................

........although the normal route with all the pigs and that zombies do gives you plenty of blood vials.

Ferr986

lol I know that room. Didn't it had two werewolves too? I remember I had to kite them while killing the maidens.

I think my new favorite weapon is the Chikage. In a BLT build, it's amazing! R2 kind of sucks because of the high damage drain though.

Ludwig would be second, it's transformed R2 is so good.

Saw Spear is better than the Cleaver. It is faster right or am I being crazy?

I've been using the cane and Chikage on my second character and I must say whipping three fuckers down simultaneously never gets old.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Saw Spear is better than the Cleaver. It is faster right or am I being crazy?

I've been using the cane and Chikage on my second character and I must say whipping three fuckers down simultaneously never gets old.

Arguably, since it can also do thrust attacks. Their speed is the same I think.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can I do Chalice Dungeons immediately after finishing the game in a NG+ from the start?

Zocano

Kirkhammer all day every day.

Longsword mode is a great standard weapon with good stabs and stuff for support buuut

Hammer mode is just stupid good. Pretttyyyy sure it's the hardest single hitting weapon at equal attack ratings. The way the damage numbers are calculated with the weapons is weird and I'm sure there's a really crazy in depth layout somewhere.

I'm not a fan of Ludwig's 2H mode. I think it's too short and the R2 doesn't feel as useful because of it (even with lunge extension). And relying on that for range isn't that useful.

Also with the hammer you can go all in on blunt damage and at equal gem levels, you would get way more damage out of it as well. I love that the hammer transform also has a "thrust" attack in it as well which is super useful in some cases. More useful however is the "splash" damage you get from the hammer.

My favorite bit though is that while it is a very slow weapon, the dash attack is SUPER fast for its size/weight. It's the go-to combo starter for almost every boss and with the damage I pancake bosses *VERY* often. It's amazing how much you can stagger bosses with that thing.

Kirkhammer is love. Kirkhammer is life.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Kirkhammer all day every day.

Longsword mode is a great standard weapon with good stabs and stuff for support buuut

Hammer mode is just stupid good. Pretttyyyy sure it's the hardest single hitting weapon at equal attack ratings. The way the damage numbers are calculated with the weapons is weird and I'm sure there's a really crazy in depth layout somewhere.

I'm not a fan of Ludwig's 2H mode. I think it's too short and the R2 doesn't feel as useful because of it (even with lunge extension). And relying on that for range isn't that useful.

Also with the hammer you can go all in on blunt damage and at equal gem levels, you would get way more damage out of it as well. I love that the hammer transform also has a "thrust" attack in it as well which is super useful in some cases. More useful however is the "splash" damage you get from the hammer.

My favorite bit though is that while it is a very slow weapon, the dash attack is SUPER fast for its size/weight. It's the go-to combo starter for almost every boss and with the damage I pancake bosses *VERY* often. It's amazing how much you can stagger bosses with that thing.

Kirkhammer is love. Kirkhammer is life.

But Kirkhammer is shorter, isn't it? Their short sword forms are about the same however, with almost same movesets all around.

Hmm, Kirkhammer eh...............

Feindflug

Arguably, since it can also do thrust attacks. Their speed is the same I think.

From what I checked the speed for the light move set is the same yeah, I'm under the impression though that the heavy move set is faster plus it has bigger range. I also love that it has thrust attacks.

Also I must be the only one who can't decide on whether I prefer Kirkhammer or the Holy Blade, I just love both weapons...each one has it's pros and they are both so much fun to use. The most fun weapon though IMO it has to be Blade of Mercy, such a fuckin' amazing weapon. <3

Zocano

But Kirkhammer is shorter, isn't it? Their short sword forms are about the same however, with almost same movesets all around.

Hmm, Kirkhammer eh...............

Pretty sure they're of similar length but the feel of the kirkhammer is something else. Love it. Also the splash damage gives it some "phantom" range that Ludwig's doesn't get.

It's hard to say on the range really though. I get the feeling Kirkhammer might *just barely* have more on it because of the size of the cinderblock and getting a wider arc. I dunno, it's hard to say. Maybe the guide book has more to say on it.

But it's definitely mostly the feel. The Holy Blade doesn't give the heft of a "large" weapon and doesn't have the brutality of the saw weapons to me. Not a huge fan overall for it.

Top Bottom