• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

bronk

Banned
Also, as an aside, its nice to see that the vast majority of notes left by players are trying to help. I love finding a really decent note that warns of the danger ahead and gives a tactic that works. Such a great spirit of collaboration, and its such a great moment when you get some vital health back just at the right moment when one of your notes is rated 'fine'.

I've only come across one note that killed me, in Cainhurst on the battlements someone had left a 'hidden area ahead, take a step forward' type note on the edge and even though my first thought was this must be wrong as I panned the camera around checking out the drop, I trusted in the note, stepped off and fell to my death. Trolled!
That was probably me haha. Sorry! For all the positive helpful notes I leave I cant help leaving one of those once in awhile.

E92 M3

I like to leave a lot of social commentary in my notes and end up getting healed a lot during boss fights :p

--

I am still confused about this: Can I just make a dungeon with modifiers once and then have them available for all time (for all different chalice types) when it comes to searching?

danthefan

I didn't use numbing mist on her as I forgot about it, all I remember of that fight is a blur of dodges, it took me 3 goes at her and the first 2 times I got too panicky, I also only locked on for attacks then quickly unlocked to get behind/to the side of her, stay nimble!

3 times :(

I must be terrible at this game.

Whats your level? I have a character at level 45 and can help out if needed.

Actually, I'm a fair bit lower than that. Might be I need a few more levels. Think I'm about 30 at the moment.

Jyrii

Banned
Aaaaaand I finally finished the game. Killed all non-chalice bosses alone. Had to wiki strategies on some bosses and few times checked where I'd need to go next.

Some thoughts:
- I disliked the "button memory". Sometimes after getting hit, it would do my attack that I would have done. Not sure if you can cancel attack animations, but that got me killed a lot.
-The world was a bit empty comparing to DS. It was interesting though.
- I kinda liked that they forced you to be more aggressive. Parries seem to be way too hard to pull though, so I just two handed Ludwig's once I got it.

Overall the best game PS4 currently has. Need to play something relaxing now. Broken Age probably.

On the final boss and beat all the optional levels and bosses. Only completed 2 Chalice Dungeons. My level is 101. Thinking about either playing a NG+ or moving on the DS2

Taking a break from this game after BSB was a good idea. Cleared Hemwick 1st try, cashed in a ton of blood, killed VC first try, leveled up and now I'm breezing through the forest.

Good stuff. Finally feeling like I got over that hump.

Gunspear R2 is fantastic btw.

gunbo13

So beat defiled, Ihyll, ailing loran, lower loran, and great isz. So all non-random L4/L5 basically. The
Pthumerian Queen
was a cakewalk.

Now I'm farming blood chunks. Joy. Guess all that is left after that is to get some blood rocks in online dungeons, then onto NG+. Can't believe the damage I can do with Ludwig's coming from only cane playing.

I must be terrible at this game..

Not at all, sometimes bosses just click I think, FG took me what seemed like an age and I had a fair few goes at BSB and I just got lucky on my last attempt at him, keep going and you'll be all good, nothing beats the rush of killing a boss in this game for me!

Noobcraft

I must be terrible at this game.

Actually, I'm a fair bit lower than that. Might be I need a few more levels. Think I'm about 30 at the moment.
I have a level 26 character with the cannon which I used last night to help people out. I can help you beat VA if you want. I killed her at least 10 times last night.

Mr. Sunny

Banned
I was bullshitting around with the R2 button, swinging my shiny new sword, accidentally swiped in her direction and... :(

Yeah, if I was early in the game I would restart but I've killed so many bosses that it's impossible for me to even consider such a thing. I hope she wasn't that important in the story. I don't really even care for the story in a game like this but I liked the occasional new bits of dialogue with her.

Interfectum

Yeah, if I was early in the game I would restart but I've killed so many bosses that it's impossible for me to even consider such a thing. I hope she wasn't that important in the story. I don't really even care for the story in a game like this but I liked the occasional new bits of dialogue with her.

She respawns so it's all good.

Has anyone here done a level 4 run? Was it comparable in difficulty to a melee-only SL1 run in Dark Souls? Armor can't be upgraded and I haven't found a weapon that does flat damage instead of stat-scaling, so I'm a bit worried those two things will make low-level runs a lot harder than they were in Dark Souls.

I'm trying to defeat
Ebrietas, Daughter of the Charge Attack
without using vials simply because I refuse to go back to the first area of the game and farm for vials (I prefer the Estus mechanic from DkS1). It's driving me crazy and crushing my pride but I feel this is the intended Miyazaki way to play anyways now that you can regain health (forgot what the system is called). I wish I could save state and practice dodging the charge attack. The lock on almost always whips me around back into her range. /rant

Sephzilla

I'm trying to defeat
Ebrietas, Daughter of the Charge Attack
without using vials simply because I refuse to go back to the first area of the game and farm for vials (I prefer the Estus mechanic from DkS1). It's driving me crazy and crushing my pride but I feel this is the intended Miyazaki way to play anyways now that you can regain health (forgot what the system is called). I wish I could save state and practice dodging the charge attack. The lock on almost always whips me around back into her range. /rant

You know you can by vials in Hunters Dream right?

I do. And I might make it a personal rule to only purchase vials or otherwise find them through natural game play.
I dislike grinding and farming in games ;)

JSub11

After you create a Chalice Dungeon, do you have to spend additional items to search for a new Chalice (of the same type) with a glyph code or do you just need to have an empty tombstone slot?

Got the three
hunters
in Y'
hargul
and killed The O
ne
R
eborn
in two tries. I got a little too aggressive in the 1st fight when I was a few hits away from beating it... so you know what happened.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention I came back much stronger and destroyed my old nemesis, D
arkbeast Paarl

I also checked out the chalice dungeons this weekend just to see what they were about and hopefully find some goodies. I took down a bunch of the bosses there pretty easily but it is starting to get repetitive and I haven't found a lot of loot.

I am liking the improvements the patch made to loading. It's much faster now.

Soulhouf

I do. And I might make it a personal rule to only purchase vials or otherwise find them through natural game play.
I dislike grinding and farming in games ;)

Don't level up. Instead spend all your echoes on vials every time you go back to the Hunter's Dream.
That's what I do in all my NG runs because there are no reason to level up any offensive stat in this game during your first run.
Also, Saw Cleaver all day since it's an amazing weapon that doesn't require any stat increase to be used.

Mr. Sunny

Banned
Got the three
hunters
in Y'
hargul
and killed The O
ne
R
eborn
in two tries. I got a little too aggressive in the 1st fight when I was a few hits away from beating it... so you know what happened.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention I came back much stronger and destroyed my old nemesis, D
arkbeast Paarl

I also checked out the chalice dungeons this weekend just to see what they were about and hopefully find some goodies. I took down a bunch of the bosses there pretty easily but it is starting to get repetitive and I haven't found a lot of loot.

I am liking the improvements the patch made to loading. It's much faster now.

Yeah, first time I fought
Paarl
I was like "no way can I kill this guy". When came back to him later in the game after killing
The One Reborn
it took 1 try and less than 3 minutes.

I always like to keep vials topped off at 99 after every session. Just a habit I got into from the beginning.
I like to balance between having plenty of vials/qs bullets and not maxing them because I can't stand having to confirm away inventory full messages all the time.

Aaaaaand I finally finished the game. Killed all non-chalice bosses alone. Had to wiki strategies on some bosses and few times checked where I'd need to go next.

Some thoughts:
- I disliked the "button memory". Sometimes after getting hit, it would do my attack that I would have done. Not sure if you can cancel attack animations, but that got me killed a lot.
-The world was a bit empty comparing to DS. It was interesting though.
- I kinda liked that they forced you to be more aggressive. Parries seem to be way too hard to pull though, so I just two handed Ludwig's once I got it.

Overall the best game PS4 currently has. Need to play something relaxing now. Broken Age probably.

There is no way to cancel animations in this game or in the Souls series. Much like Monster Hunter, you commit to each action you take.

Randam

Also, as an aside, its nice to see that the vast majority of notes left by players are trying to help. I love finding a really decent note that warns of the danger ahead and gives a tactic that works. Such a great spirit of collaboration, and its such a great moment when you get some vital health back just at the right moment when one of your notes is rated 'fine'.

I've only come across one note that killed me, in Cainhurst on the battlements someone had left a 'hidden area ahead, take a step forward' type note on the edge and even though my first thought was this must be wrong as I panned the camera around checking out the drop, I trusted in the note, stepped off and fell to my death. Trolled!
The notes should have been orange again.

Struct09

After you create a Chalice Dungeon, do you have to spend additional items to search for a new Chalice (of the same type) with a glyph code or do you just need to have an empty tombstone slot?

Just an empty tombstone. It's free to create another chalice dungeon of the same type. I would always place my chalice down and then go search for a popular glyph.

Onemic

After killing rom, is it ok to kill the old man on the chair?

Killing his pets is slower but far more reliable imho.

There's no big secret to fighting him, results just vary because the amount of damage you receive when fighting him is simply unpredictable. For example, if you just stand still when he launches his top-down arcane bolts you won't get hit by the same number of them every time. Often you'll take one hit and the rest fall wide, sometime you'll get hit by 3 or 4 of them. Same deal with taking hits from multiple jumping pets... its random how often they select the jump move.

The reason why killing his pets works is mainly that it tends to put you at a good distance from him, in that he mixes up his meteors with the much easier to avoid arcane pillars and his big blast aoe. So long as you keep an eye on him its easy to pre-empt his attacks and respond accordingly all the while whittling down his troops and reducing the random threat they present.

This is very important in NG+ and later where zerging him down just isn't so quick and the potential to get wiped out by sheer bad luck gets higher. He can get extremely spammy at low hp too, so finishing him off while surrounded by a horde of (off-screen) pets is really rolling the dice.

I initially tryed killing his pets, but his dumb projectile attack would keep killing me. I guess in NG+ he's gonna be ridiculously hard then :(

Defuser

Finally beat the IIhyl Pthumeru Descendent, that guy is a fucking asshole the moment he went to second phase and his stupid combo and throwing scythes.

Struct09

Finally beat the IIhyl Pthumeru Descendent, that guy is a fucking asshole the moment he went to second phase and his stupid combo and throwing scythes.

I hate how the rules of the arena don't really apply to him. He can leap through and throw his scythes through the pillars.

Fbh

Never cared about trophies and never will.

But I'm pretty happy about my 1 platinum:

3GDdWbY.jpg

Mandelbo

Sorry if it's already been asked, but did the coffin skip get fixed in the last patch? I'm trying and failing to do it now and I can't tell if I'm just messing it up or if it's no longer possible.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Started playing finally and beat the blood-starved beast, earning my first chalice.

Interacting with the gravestone is a confusing mess. I somehow have the 2 mats needed to create the first dungeon, but if I use them I can go freely back in and out without farming more right? Talk of starting this early to avoid game imbalance at higher levels makes me consider tackling the first chalice now.

A few basic pointers to keep in mind for this side of the game would be helpful before I potentially blow these materials.

Sorry if it's already been asked, but did the coffin skip get fixed in the last patch? I'm trying and failing to do it now and I can't tell if I'm just messing it up or if it's no longer possible.

Do you mean the
jump into the back of Iosefka's Clinic
? Yeah, that got patched out, unfortunately.

So um, Alfred. He, uh did something very bad. Can I punish him for that or should I just let it go?

You can always visit him where you first met him in Cathedral Ward to have a chat with him about it.

Started playing finally and beat the blood-starved beast, earning my first chalice.

Interacting with the gravestone is a confusing mess. I somehow have the 2 mats needed to create the first dungeon, but if I use them I can go freely back in and out without farming more right? Talk of starting this early to avoid game imbalance at higher levels makes me consider tackling the first chalice now.

A few basic pointers to keep in mind for this side of the game would be helpful before I potentially blow these materials.

As long as you don't remove the chalice from the altar after creating a dungeon, you're free to go in and out of it as many times as you wish. Chalice dungeons will have 3, sometimes 4, bosses that do not respawn after death. If you explore thoroughly, you will find the materials needed to make the next chalice dungeon. And eventually, most of the materials will be sold at the regular bath merchant or insight bath merchant.

Jellie

Wherever I try PvP today I get disconnected or have crashes after the disconnect. Error message says I need to update the application when I'm on the latest patch. Anyone had this?

Now my sinister bell is unusable but my beckoning bell is fine

Top Bottom