• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Did some PVP in Nightmare Frontier.

Holy shit, it almost felt like cheating with all the gems I had gotten from the Chalice Dungeons. I cut through them like flies. No one stood a chance. I felt like one of those assholes who invade at level 1 in Undead Burg.

Such a contrast from the Reddit Chalice Dungeon where people actually know what they are doing. I won one battle in over ten attempts there.

Feels good to beat R
om
on my first try in NG+. The
kill spiders in first phase, then attack Rom himself in subsequent phases
strategy worked well enough
since you can set yourself up to take out 50% of his HP first phase and he will disappear again nearly immediately, making it much less risky than letting Rom attack while you take out spiders

Also, finally managed to +9 my Blades of Mercy. Will +10 it. I decided to put Arcane Blood Gems on it since it has natural arcane attack and I have 22 or so Arcane. Even if that isn't optimal DPS wise it at least lets me put my best physical gems on another weapon.

Rozart

Played for a good 90-odd hours now, I'm wondering, how would everyone rank the weapons?

1) Saw Cleaver
It's how tantalizingly quick this weapon is, which is what sets it apart from the rest. It's arguably the best weapon to use when you're up against super nimble hunters and it's also great against the bigger bosses as well. Most of the time, once you've got your cleaver locked onto the enemy, they'd be rendered helpless to your parade of crazy quick slashes-- unable to strike back.

Also moving in from its quick R1 slashes to the elongated trick weapon just looks superbly cool.

2) Ludwig's Holy Blade (Greatsword mode)
That charge-up thrust attack is just divine. It's always extremely satisfying to see a whole chunk of the boss' health dwindle away when you're using those attacks. And the moveset for the two-handed greatsword is fantastic as well. Slash, slash, slam. You have great reach, a set of versatile moves (slash, blunt and thrust) and a crazy damage output.

3) Cannon, if it counts as a weapon.
BOOM BOOM.

I really want to try out the Blades of Mercy and the cane too though.
EDIT: A lot of people are picking the Ludwig's Holy Blade and the Saw Cleaver. I thought I was special. :(

.......................huh. I noticed this path once thinking "huh, so you can jump down to there from here."

Wonder why I never actually used it...............................

........although the normal route with all the pigs and that zombies do gives you plenty of blood vials.

Haha, I just never had the patience to wait around for two elevators. That's why I opted for the other (much faster) route.

Gattsu25

Banned
A few thoughts on the game now that ive finished it, good and bad:

Some of the areas had pretty cheap mechanics such as the respawning enemies in Unseen Village. Which was a real shame because UV as a location, was amazing. Suddenly the game flipped the script and went from gothic horror with a hint of Lovecraft into straight up HP Lovecraft all up in your shit nameless insane gods and tentacled monstrosities straight out of the far end of the cosmos all over the fucking place. I wouldve loved to explore it but the respawning meant the best way to tackle it was literally to peg it right from beginning to end. A waste of an amazing area.

Rom. Seriously, ive been over this so much ill not waste any more time on it but fuck that shit. Worst boss in any souls game, ever. Bed of Chaos was better than that shit.
You can kill the bell
ringers to stop the enemies from respawning
Also, I've killed R
om
4 times now and the boss was a pushover each time.

Zocano

I'm surprised everytime someone says R
om___
is super hard. It took me only a few times the first go around and each time I've beaten her afterwards has been just as easy.

Managed to get some time back on this over the weekend and killed
BSB and the Vicar and found the abandoned workshop
i'm off to
Hemwick Chernal
next but I have to say i'm not looking forward to the maze that is the
Forbidden Forest
after that.

inki

Also, I've killed R
om

I'm having a heck of a time killing him in the
chalice dungeon.
I've almost killed him a couple times
but with those columns and limited room to dodge those spiders its rough.

Feindflug

You can kill the bell
ringers to stop the enemies from respawning
Also, I've killed R
om

I guess I'm in the minority but the
Unseen Village
is one of my favorite areas not only art wise also but encounter design wise. I really liked that you had to figure out where
the bell maidens
were while you had to deal with the enemies, it actually made the exploration a lot more tense IMO.

om___
is super hard. It took me only a few times the first go around and each time I've beaten her afterwards has been just as easy.

It's because
it's very unclear how to dodge her ice meteor when you're learning the fight, and the smaller spiders can easily instachunk you if you're not careful.

om___

Its interesting to see what bosses other people have problems with. Most likely it reflects the different play style each person has.

Gattsu25

Banned
Unseen Village
is one of my favorite areas not only art wise also but encounter design wise. I really liked that you had to figure out where
the bell maidens
were while you had to deal with the enemies, it actually made the exploration a lot more tense IMO.
I agree with you. That level is awesome.

myco666

om___

Seriously those little guys hit like a truck and her attacks also deal a bunch of damage. HP can go to zero really fast in that fight.

Unseen Village
the bell maidens

Agreed. It's an interesting instance where
the exploration itself had to be earned, and the game is telling you that running past enemies is perfectly okay.

Gattsu25

Banned
Seriously those little guys hit like a truck and her attacks also deal a bunch of damage. HP can go to zero really fast in that fight.
That's why they die to one attack if you hit their backside. Never lock on during that fight and always watch for when they are getting close. Then quickly cull the numbers.

maomaoIYP

Played for a good 90-odd hours now, I'm wondering, how would everyone rank the weapons?

1) Hunter's Axe - Has range, power, and most importantly, 2-handed charged R2 is the single most useful attack in the game. Moderate charge time, blows enemies away, great rally potential, and super armor in the attacking animation.

2) Blade of Mercy - Best dps in the game, however has lower utility due to limited range.

3) Threaded Cane - Best range in the game, great crowd control.

1) Saw Cleaver
It's how tantalizingly quick this weapon is, which is what sets it apart from the rest. It's arguably the best weapon to use when you're up against super nimble hunters and it's also great against the bigger bosses as well. Most of the time, once you've got your cleaver locked onto the enemy, they'd be rendered helpless to your parade of crazy quick slashes-- unable to strike back.

Also moving in from its quick R1 slashes to the elongated trick weapon just looks superbly cool.

That charge-up thrust attack is just divine. It's always extremely satisfying to see a whole chunk of the boss' health dwindle away when you're using those attacks. And the moveset for the two-handed greatsword is fantastic as well. Slash, slash, slam. You have great reach, a set of versatile moves (slash, blunt and thrust) and a crazy damage output.

BOOM BOOM.

EDIT: A lot of people are picking the Ludwig's Holy Blade and the Saw Cleaver. I thought I was special. :(

Haha, I just never had the patience to wait around for two elevators. That's why I opted for the other (much faster) route.

I'm confused with what attacks are blunt with the Ludwig blade. I thought this was a slash thrust type weapon. How would you know what it is?

E92 M3

DONE!

Got the ending where I fought G
herman
. The end of the game really snuck up on me.....I'm almost sad it's over :( I guess I always have NG+!

Game just getting started, my friend.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to place 2-3 bell maidens that summons millions of spiders in one room is a good idea? fucking bullshit.

Hehe, those fuckers cost me 1.5 million souls once. It's all good - they're supposed to be a challenging encounter.

Defiled Watchdog down, I can practically taste the Platinum.

Go for it; tastes good :p It is my very first platinum trophy from any game on PS. Hell, Bloodborne is the only game I have trophies for.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm confused with what attacks are blunt with the Ludwig blade. I thought this was a slash thrust type weapon. How would you know what it is?
The strategy guide tells this, plus all the sites that cribbed the details (usually without attribution) from the guide.

bosseye

Mensis!

What the flim flam!

Dogs with crow heads!
Crows with dog heads!
Giant pigs with many eyes!

Its all gone mental.

Got invaded in Mensis too - I was in the middle of battling a giant pig and in came an invader, luckily he had the manners and good grace to wait for me to kill the pig, we bowed, the fight commenced. I got my arse handed to me fairly promptly.

I'm so bad at PvP. I've not been invaded much, but every time its happened I'm worse than useless. Still fun though, and everyone I've fought has displayed manners and class.

I believe one handed the slash attacks are plain physical damage, R2 charged thrust is thrust damage; two handing it you are literally hitting enemies with the sheath itself, so most bashing attacks are blunt with the exception of the two handed R2 attack which is a thrust attack.

bosseye

Also, as an aside, its nice to see that the vast majority of notes left by players are trying to help. I love finding a really decent note that warns of the danger ahead and gives a tactic that works. Such a great spirit of collaboration, and its such a great moment when you get some vital health back just at the right moment when one of your notes is rated 'fine'.

I've only come across one note that killed me, in Cainhurst on the battlements someone had left a 'hidden area ahead, take a step forward' type note on the edge and even though my first thought was this must be wrong as I panned the camera around checking out the drop, I trusted in the note, stepped off and fell to my death. Trolled!

Saint9806

Also, as an aside, its nice to see that the vast majority of notes left by players are trying to help. I love finding a really decent note that warns of the danger ahead and gives a tactic that works. Such a great spirit of collaboration, and its such a great moment when you get some vital health back just at the right moment when one of your notes is rated 'fine'.

I've only come across one note that killed me, in Cainhurst on the battlements someone had left a 'hidden area ahead, take a step forward' type note on the edge and even though my first thought was this must be wrong as I panned the camera around checking out the drop, I trusted in the note, stepped off and fell to my death. Trolled!

Hahaha.... I died due to that same note. Lost 50K echoes that I never got back. I thought it looked like there was a ledge below but just kept falling.

FranXico

I added a "Behind You!" note at a staircase next to the Great Bridge in Yahrnam, where a brute creeps up on the player from behind whenever he/she goes that way. Someone didn't like my advise, even though it is true.

I did finally unlock the blades of mercy in NG+ The sped up R1 attacks in dual handed mode look so badass. I just need to find more shards to get this thing to at least +9, it's not dishing enough damage yet!

1) Hunter's Axe - Has range, power, and most importantly, 2-handed charged R2 is the single most useful attack in the game. Moderate charge time, blows enemies away, great rally potential, and super armor in the attacking animation.
*ts*
Just forgot the best thing about it... The animation for the transformation into the two handed version of it is just....

5RhS5.gif

Almost as good as the RE4 sniper reload animation.

danthefan

Where is the best place to try and stand when fighting V.A? Behind her, in front of her?

I can't even get her to the bit where she heals. Her attacks have such range in having a lot of trouble.

FranXico

There's a reason
Father Gascoigne
uses it.

1) Saw Cleaver

BOOM BOOM.

Mine goes something like this:
1. Ludwigs Greatsword
2. Hunter Axe
3. Burial Blade
4. Kirkhammer

Where is the best place to try and stand when fighting V.A? Behind her, in front of her?

I can't even get her to the bit where she heals. Her attacks have such range in having a lot of trouble.
Side, most likely towards her left since she is holding the pendant. But frankly there's a lot dodging involve with her. Make sure to have numbing mist to prevent her from healing and fire works well. Attack a leg, after enough dmg, she will be stagger allowing you to perform a visceral attack.

danthefan

Side, most likely towards her left since she is holding the pendant. But frankly there's a lot dodging involve with her. Make sure to have numbing mist to prevent her from healing and fire works well. Attack a leg, after enough dmg, she will be stagger allowing you to perform a visceral attack.

Thanks. Feel like I've hit a brick wall here. I have some of those things that stop her heal but going to save them until I'm at least competent in the fight.

Edit - so first go of just trying to keep to her left was my best attempt so far, actually hit phase 2 of the fight.

Ugh, Pthumerian Descendant really kicked my ass. Had to go farming for blood vials twice. I can't parry for shit. :/ Ended up going for a dodge and swing strategy, which made the second phase a pain.

Glad I didn't give up though, the fucker's dead.

myco666

That's why they die to one attack if you hit their backside. Never lock on during that fight and always watch for when they are getting close. Then quickly cull the numbers.

They don't though. I have Chikage +7 and I can't kill them in one attack in 1H mode. I usually manage that fight in one try but sometimes the little ones manage to surprise me.

Also fuck BoM in PVP. If someone manages to get you in its 2H mode your life bar is gone in seconds and can't even get away from the stunlock.

E92 M3

I have around 6.5 million souls and don't want to spend them because PVP is fun, but then I feel like I am restricting myself so much. Oh well, will keep doing chalice dungeons and move through the NGs.

Thanks. Feel like I've hit a brick wall here. I have some of those things that stop her heal but going to save them until I'm at least competent in the fight.

I didn't use numbing mist on her as I forgot about it, all I remember of that fight is a blur of dodges, it took me 3 goes at her and the first 2 times I got too panicky, I also only locked on for attacks then quickly unlocked to get behind/to the side of her, stay nimble!

Edit - so first go of just trying to keep to her left was my best attempt so far, actually hit phase 2 of the fight.

Whats your level? I have a character at level 45 and can help out if needed.

Dyno

In my NG+ I'm just defeating the bosses needed to advance. I'm not going to defeat the optional bosses, I'm saving them for co-op, to help others through. Helped a couple people with Cleric Beast and I got some help for Vicar Amelia. The summoning went fast.

I've also got that Ailing Loran chalice open. I got this little section just prior to the second boss that is insane! There can be up to a dozen magically summoned spiders rushing at you. After losing a level's worth of souls and backed out. Too much right now!

E92 M3

In my NG+ I'm just defeating the bosses needed to advance. I'm not going to defeat the optional bosses, I'm saving them for co-op, to help others through. Helped a couple people with Cleric Beast and I got some help for Vicar Amelia. The summoning went fast.

I've also got that Ailing Loran chalice open. I got this little section just prior to the second boss that is insane! There can be up to a dozen magically summoned spiders rushing at you. After losing a level's worth of souls and backed out. Too much right now!

Those magical spiders are linked to the bell ladies lol. Real PAIN in the ass.

I got the platinum over the weekend, I really enjoyed working towards it in Bloodborne, compared to all the item crafting and collecting you had to do in the previous entries. The Souls series has given me some of my best gaming experiences, and I can't wait to see where the series goes next.

ABW3hl1.png

2COutOX.jpg

Experien

ROM
in the the chalice dungeon was giving me some trouble (felt like a lot of cheap hits) despite me wrecking it in the main game...the
Blood-letting Beast
felt like a joke. If you were far away he would swipe at you so just got inside and wail on him and was no trouble at all!

Quite interesting who finds what challenging...weapon and fight-style.

Top Bottom