• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Beat
One Reborn
and
Amygdala
today. Both very easy bosses.

Also got an awesome Hunter Tool which
summons tentacles from my hand
.. awesome. Gonna put more points into arcane so I can use the other tools I have as well. My build is skill/arcane, and I use Blade of Mercy + Chikage. Dunno if they actually benefit much from arcane though.

Hmm. I think I'll do that. Although
the Queen
was kind of a nutjob, I didn't expect him to
brutally murder her

Did you pick up an item on the
throne where she was sitting?
Read the item description; it is possible to
revive her

Beat
One Reborn
and
Amygdala

.. awesome. Gonna put more points into arcane so I can use the other tools I have as well. My build is skill/arcane, and I use Blade of Mercy + Chikage. Dunno if they actually benefit much from arcane though.

Blade of Mercy only does Arcane damage on certain attacks (rolling/dodging Attack, transformed attack, and a couple of others). You'll be able to tell because the weapon swing will sound different and you'll see a visual effect on the weapon. At +10 it has an S scaling with Skill but only a B with Arcane; I don't think it's worth leveling up Arcane for it. I kept my Arcane at 15 to use the Tools that required 15 Arcane, and didn't bother with the others.

gunbo13

I have found gargoyles in Cainhurst give better blood chunk drops then werewolves in upper cathedral. Anyone else see this?

EDIT:
Also, anyone got blood rocks from lower roots?

Beat
One Reborn
and
Amygdala

Blade of Mercy has arcane dmg so it will benefit from arcane but not so much since it has low scale on Arcane.

Randam

It's the PS4 controller triggers. They're pressed when the controller is in a resting position.

Kinda a design flaw if you ask me.
Problem is, even if only pressed a little bit, the action gets carried out immediately.

Attack by accident more often in w few weeks ps4 than I did in 8 years ps3.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just finished yesterday.

That final boss, the wet nurse, damn...
Ahem...
if that was your final boss, I'm afraid you made the wrong choice. xD

You'd think that Scrawnton fellow, if that's who it is from this thread, would have shared/uploaded such accomplishments. Or taken part here about it.

Idk, maybe I'm just a bitter skeptic having, while hardly needing more than two attempts for most bosses, my current issues in the chalice dungeons.
I can believe not dying to bosses in NG+, since that was mostly my case too (I died to some bosses in NG+ but not many of them, and only Ebrietas killed me more than once IIRC), but his claims about the same simple strategy working for every boss seems full of shit to me. It reeks of the memory leak glitch, even.

Well damn -_-. If memory serves, DkS1 really scaled against you mostly towards the end of the game, or Ornstein & Smough
this is the halfway point i guess
. Will level a bit and carry on!
Huh? The game doesn't "scale"... unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

First off, it's easily the best game ive played on PS4. But its not perfect. I found a few things pretty irritating, firstly and probably my biggest gripe was the health vial mechanic. At first it isnt a problem as pretty much all the enemies in central Yharnham drop them. But as you get further on the vial drops get less and less and in the end you basically have to start farming them in central yharnham. That pissed me off as it pretty much did nothing but slow down progress in later areas and meant that if you had a tough time against a boss, youd find yourself out of echoes, and out of vials, with no choice but to go farm for both.

Some of the areas had pretty cheap mechanics such as the respawning enemies in Unseen Village. Which was a real shame because UV as a location, was amazing. Suddenly the game flipped the script and went from gothic horror with a hint of Lovecraft into straight up HP Lovecraft all up in your shit nameless insane gods and tentacled monstrosities straight out of the far end of the cosmos all over the fucking place. I wouldve loved to explore it but the respawning meant the best way to tackle it was literally to peg it right from beginning to end. A waste of an amazing area.

Rom. Seriously, ive been over this so much ill not waste any more time on it but fuck that shit. Worst boss in any souls game, ever. Bed of Chaos was better than that shit.
1) I completely disagree, but it's a dead horse and I don't want to drag up that old tired debate again;
2)
Kill the bell maidens, problem solved. It's a bit amazing how people fail to notice that...
3)
As I posted in the other thread ("Non-Souls players, how's it going"), I am still mystified as to how people even struggle against Rom. Not only is she one of the easier bosses but comparing it to Bed of Chaos? Come on.

You can kill the bell
ringers to stop the enemies from respawning
Also, I've killed R
om
4 times now and the boss was a pushover each time.
Thank you!

I like to balance between having plenty of vials/qs bullets and not maxing them because I can't stand having to confirm away inventory full messages all the time.
Haha, I do that too

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I have found gargoyles in Cainhurst give better blood chunk drops then werewolves in upper cathedral. Anyone else see this?

EDIT:
Also, anyone got blood rocks from lower roots?

I don't doubt your experience but it's been tested and the drop rate is definitely lower in Cainhurst. Some people prefer it though since there are more gargoyles to farm.

NEO0MJ

Ashamed to admit this, but I feel lost. I beat
Vicar, the Witch, and the Blood Starved but now I have no idea where to go.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
3)
As I posted in the other thread ("Non-Souls players, how's it going"), I am still mystified as to how people even struggle against Rom. Not only is she one of the easier bosses but comparing it to Bed of Chaos? Come on.

Yeah, that's...no.
Rom
is actually fun compared to that. I'm really surprised so many people struggle with her.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Simple question guys: I recently got the Pthumeru Chalice. Does this cost something (1000 echoes and 2 blood ritual, I think) every time you want to try the dungeon, or just once to make it accessible?

I like to balance between having plenty of vials/qs bullets and not maxing them because I can't stand having to confirm away inventory full messages all the time.
I'm still not really sure why the game demands a button confirmation. Just flash a notification and move on.

Randam

Simple question guys: I recently got the Pthumeru Chalice. Does this cost something (1000 echoes and 2 blood ritual, I think) every time you want to try the dungeon, or just once to make it accessible?
Only once to create the dungeon.

I'm still not really sure why the game demands a button confirmation. Just flash a notification and move on.

The cost is what you pay to place the chalice on the altar and create the dungeon. Once created, you can enter/exit it as any times as you wish. Bosses in the dungeon don't respawn, and once I defeat all the bosses in a given chalice dungeon, I usually delete it. If you remove the chalice from the altar, you delete the dungeon and will have to pay the cost again to remake it, or make new ones with different chalices and materials.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You could also just poison him to death. Should take less than 15 poison knifes. When he whiffs with big combos and slows down, smack him a couple times to speed this process.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really want to beat him without cheese tactics. Something about this Chalice Dungeon stuff being side content makes me not want to cheese any of it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Only once to create the dungeon.

The cost is what you pay to place the chalice on the altar and create the dungeon. Once created, you can enter/exit it as any times as you wish. Bosses in the dungeon don't respawn, and once I defeat all the bosses in a given chalice dungeon, I usually delete it. If you remove the chalice from the altar, you delete the dungeon and will have to pay the cost again to remake it, or make new ones with different chalices and materials.
Got it, makes sense. Thank you.

Struct09

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really want to beat him without cheese tactics. Something about this Chalice Dungeon stuff being side content makes me not want to cheese any of it.

If you were exploiting some design weakness I could see it as cheesing, but using tools in your inventory to widdle down his health seems like 100% fair game. Either way, good luck.

Okay is it me or is BoM one of the better weapons in this game?
I use that and Ludwig. I am debating about changing up and using the Burial Blade but it doesn't seem to have the same damage output as the Ludwig or the speed of the BoM to change up styles... It looks cool though...

lunlunqq

You've examined the skull after killing VC, right? Exit the cathedral and go down the stairs to the round plaza with two church gaints. The one on the right is guarding a gate. That gate will lead you to the next area.

Okay is it me or is BoM one of the better weapons in this game?
I use that and Ludwig. I am debating about changing up and using the Burial Blade but it doesn't seem to have the same damage output as the Ludwig or the speed of the BoM to change up styles... It looks cool though...
I'm loving my BoM playthrough. It's a lot better than most other weapons I've used except it is pretty terrible on most bosses.

Ludwig's was way better though.

I'm loving my BoM playthrough. It's a lot better than most other weapons I've used except it is pretty terrible on most bosses.

Ludwig's was way better though.

The only reason I change to say the Cane or the Saw Spear is for certain bosses due to the extra 20% to Beasts and whatnot but Ludwig is just too good against all the other bosses.

Did you pick up an item on the
throne where she was sitting?
Read the item description; it is possible to
revive her

Blade of Mercy only does Arcane damage on certain attacks (rolling/dodging Attack, transformed attack, and a couple of others). You'll be able to tell because the weapon swing will sound different and you'll see a visual effect on the weapon. At +10 it has an S scaling with Skill but only a B with Arcane; I don't think it's worth leveling up Arcane for it. I kept my Arcane at 15 to use the Tools that required 15 Arcane, and didn't bother with the others.

Blade of Mercy has arcane dmg so it will benefit from arcane but not so much since it has low scale on Arcane.

Fair enough, but I still want to check out
Tiny Tonitrus
so I might as well put 5 more points into arcane.

danthefan

Is there anywhere decent to grind a few echoes in Central/Old Yharnam or the Cathedral District? Or anywhere soon after?

Having a bad day today, dying to every random mob I meet. Getting frustrated.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I don't doubt your experience but it's been tested and the drop rate is definitely lower in Cainhurst. Some people prefer it though since there are more gargoyles to farm.
I'm at level 541, with 3 eye runes... So my discovery is high... Wolves in upper cathrdral is the best place to farm blood chunks. Ng+ is better because starting from forbidden woods, there's a blood chunk in every stage.
Side note: gargoyles are spread all over cainhurst where as the wolves are in one spot.
The Undead Giants drop blood chunks.
The giant on the second floor of the lecture room drops blood chunks.

Is there anywhere decent to grind a few echoes in Central/Old Yharnam or the Cathedral District? Or anywhere soon after?

Having a bad day today, dying to every random mob I meet.

For Central Yharnam:

Warp to Central Yharnam Lamp
Take shortcut gate, go into house, kill the two enemies on the first floor.
Exit house, kill two brick guys and get vials, take elevator to bridge leading to Father G.
Kill everything there, including the 2 enemies close to the fog door.
Jump off near the ladder that leads to the aqueducts (near the top of the stairs where the flaming boulder trap starts) and suicide, or Bold Hunter's Mark back to lamp.
Repeat
???
Profit

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you were exploiting some design weakness I could see it as cheesing, but using tools in your inventory to widdle down his health seems like 100% fair game. Either way, good luck.

Fair enough. It's just really easy to keep distance from him as long as you don't lock on, so killing him with poison seems like a completely no-risk style. I guess calling it illegitimate was not right, but I'd rather beat him straight up. If this were blocking my progress in the story, I'd have no qualms about cheesing him, though. Weird how I feel differently about the Chalice Dungeons.

I'm at level 541, with 3 eye runes... So my discovery is high... Wolves in upper cathrdral is the best place to farm blood chunks. Ng+ is better because starting from forbidden woods, there's a blood chunk in every stage.
Side note: gargoyles are spread all over cainhurst where as the wolves are in one spot.

Level 541?! Just how many hours have you been playing? Are you on like New Game +++++ or something? Speaking of which, where does this game max out when it comes to New Game + difficulties?

Rizzi

Nothing that anyone says will ever convince me that a) Frenzy is anything but complete horseshit, and b) Nightmare Frontier is not completely fucking awful.

dentoomw

Any good spots for Blood Echo farming? I've been hitting the Lecture Hall room with all the slime students, getting a decent 12k echoes or so per run with the upgrade rune, and since the area isn't too large it loads fast.

Just wondering if other people have found more lucrative spots

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nothing that anyone says will ever convince me that a) Frenzy is anything but complete horseshit, and b) Nightmare Frontier is not completely fucking awful.
a) Sedatives and frenzy resist runes/gear
b) An alien landscape from a Lovecraftian nightmare cannot, by definition, be "completely fucking awful", unless you meant to write "awesome" instead of "awful". :D
I know you won't be convinced, but I feel the need to voice my disagreement regardless!

Any good spots for Blood Echo farming? I've been hitting the Lecture Hall room with all the slime students, getting a decent 12k echoes or so per run with the upgrade rune, and since the area isn't too large it loads fast.

I use that spot as well, but I equipped 2 Moon runes and was getting ~20k per run.

Certain rooms in Depth 5 chalice dungeons give you 100k+ per run, and they only take me a few minutes.

Alebrije

Do you find people to coop? I am level 238 and every time is harder to give/get help

From should unlock the 10 level difference to give/get help , its fine for invasions in order to give fair chance to both parts but for coop From should let anyone abobe your level be ing avaliable to help you,

w00zey

Pretty sure you should go to the F
orbidden
W
oods
. You know the circular area with two giants on the way to VA? Hang a left there and now you should have the password at the door.

ryuken-d

Not sure if anyone cares, but I found what has become my go-to spot for farming echoes in NG+:
Hypogean Gaol
. Almost 100k for killing 2 snatchers and 2 pigs. Insane EPS (echoes per second). I'm Lvl 126 right now and gaining a level every couple of minutes. All I have left to do is finish the chalices so I need the HP I think. Mind you, this is with all three Moon runes equipped.

that's nuts I have 2 moon runes and I usually go through
margos middle
and kill the katana guys and the three pigs and get about 60K but the other day each pig gave me over 12K. I odnt know whats going on.
I'll try Yahargul.

gunbo13

Well, the werewolves aren't nice to me. 5 runs, nothing. Few Cainhurst runs, 3 chunks...
Best early game I know of is old yharnam. You need to open the shortcut. Werewolves do well here.
Next is Witch's Adobe. 10k+ runs + bunch of vials.
Then 2 level 4 dungeons, spider + werewolf locations. 100k+ in 5-10 mins.
Then level 5 aliens + werewolves, etc... 100k+ in few minutes

Never farmed further areas since I did chalice dungeons.

EDIT:
One of the spider + werewolf locations may be lvl5. One is definitely lvl4.

Went back to
Cainhurst
to grab some gear I missed the first time. and immediately got wrecked several times by the first enemies (spider humans) in the area. Weird, I didn't really have a problem with them last time. o-o

Also.. where/when do I get blood rocks?

Top Bottom