• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

OneUh8

I've never played a Souls game before. I own Dark Souls, and feel like playing it, but I'm wondering if I'm better off starting with Bloodborne instead? I don't own a PS4/Bloodborne, but I can see myself getting them at some point. If Bloodborne is worth playing first for some reason, that may expedite me buying them.

Since you already have Dark Souls, PLAY IT! Fantastic game. Personally I liked BB more, but that is just my personal taste. I liked the combat and lovecraft theme of BB.

keit4

Banned
It makes me sad how bad the camera is in this game sometimes, it makes some bosses harder than they really are (Bloodletting Beast i'm looking at you). It was cheap and lazy to build the combat system on top of the Dark Souls one, which obviously wasn't designed with fast paced combat in mind.

Respect

I love the Reiterpallasch! It looks really cool and the transformed mode is so fast, the only weapon that attacks faster is the Blade of Mercy. You can do some great parrys with the transformation attack aswell

Indeed, combo-ing L1 into an attack is a lighting quick shot...a player who is good with BoM do tend to give me fits though when using Reiterspallach. They are usually only side step attacking and it usually only 1 attack, so you really have to be on point, and have some luck, with your parries, otherwise your probably not going to win.

fantomena

Ive got a problem, each time I try to start up the game, it stays on the splash screen. Ive tried to reintall, but nothing helps.

Fixed it: Had to delete save data.

taybul

It makes me sad how bad the camera is in this game sometimes, it makes some bosses harder than they really are (Bloodletting Beast i'm looking at you). It was cheap and lazy to build the combat system on top of the Dark Souls one, which obviously wasn't designed with fast paced combat in mind.

Locking on to chalice boss
Loran Darkbeast (Paarl)
made me nauseous. In rooms with drapes the camera will sometimes go behind them. Really annoying.

ryuken-d

Yeah that L1 to R1 combo, where you unsheathe the Chikage into blood mode and then do that horizontal slash? So. Good.

I'm totally in love with the Chikage but I'm also a pussy and I rarely use the 2H mode. thanks for the L1 R1 combo. I have to practice more. I've been putting points into skl but BT scales so well it increases my atk about 10 points per. I just need to take the plunge I think. If I'm stuck on an enemy my fall back is still my +9 Ludwig. I added the blood rock to the Chikage +10 fucking Chigake!!!!!

Respect

There are some bosses designed with the fact that they don't want you to lock onto them for the fight. This goes back to DaS 1 and the iron golem at the end of sens fortress. You were at a disadvantage if you used lock on targeting. I know that might not be what you want to hear, but that was the intention for some bosses. The boss you mentioned,
paarl
, and to some extend
abhorrent beast
are all bosses that benefit from untargeted combat at points throughout the encounter.

zsswimmer

Trying to summon a co op partner for the Watchdog of the Old Lords fight but it looks like its not gonna happen, been waiting awhile. Im level 34, and this is the Pthumeru Chalice one, so I wonder if it should be higher or something.

Ferr986

Yeah that L1 to R1 combo, where you unsheathe the Chikage into blood mode and then do that horizontal slash? So. Good.

Yah love it, especially when you do it to an enemy rushing towards you (like the Chalice madmen). It's a fun weapon too.

I can't figure out how to get to the second floor in the lecture building.

After clearing U
nseen Village

There are some bosses designed with the fact that they don't want you to lock onto them for the fight. This goes back to DaS 1 and the iron golem at the end of sens fortress. You were at a disadvantage if you used lock on targeting. I know that might not be what you want to hear, but that was the intention for some bosses. The boss you mentioned,
paarl
, and to some extend
abhorrent beast
are all bosses that benefit from untargeted combat at points throughout the encounter.

Yeah a lot of bosses are better without lock on here.

ryuken-d

paarl
, and to some extend
abhorrent beast

I found this out kinda late and suffered from using lock on all the time. after watching ENB's videos and seeing him barely ever using it I started fighting without it and its nice. I didn't feel so awkward when I fought those boss's.

Gammacide

I tried parrying parrying but to no avail :(
what level were you guys?
No joke, I beat him easy with
Beast roar
and BoM. Give it a try. He has to get pretty close, but knock him down a few times then slice and dice a ton of his energy. Repeat that a few times and you likely won't even get hit. Just watch your stamina so you can dodge back out. Good luck!

Have you not played Dark Souls before? ;)
Castle Cainhurst was really cool, but it was like... a really lite Painted World of Ariamis, heh.

Yeah I loved the Painted World a lot I just think the aesthetics of Castle Cainhurst are so amazing that to spend that much manpower for an area with that many unique enemies that is kind of obtuse to find is just such an awesome part of these games.

keit4

Banned
paarl
, and to some extend
abhorrent beast

I know, i'm not targeting them. The camera behaviour is still unpredictable.

BTW, it's laughable how most people recommend to not use a feature designed to ease a part of the game because it makes it even harder. Says a lot about how bad the system is.

Ferr986

I know, i'm not targeting them. The camera behaviour is still unpredictable.

BTW, it's laughable how most people recommend to not use a feature designed to ease a part of the game because it makes it even harder. Says a lot about how bad the system is.

Lock on is still better for regular enemies and small bosses (like Father). Is just the big bosses that are better without lock on, not just because of the camera, but also because you have more control rolling and it's easier to go behind them that way.

While studying for my final, I notice in the notes A
mygdala is written down. And its a region of the brain. When stimulation occurs, it cause fear and anxiety. Welp pretty sure amygdala
in bloodborne did cause some players fear and anxiety :p

FHIZ

Okay, so here's a question for those who've gotten the platinum trophy. I've gotten the first two endings and I'm planning on just reloading my saves, hitting up the optional areas I missed, and then going all the way through the main chalice dungeons. That said, how difficult/much of a grind are those dungeons going to be in order to get the boss trophy associated with them? I've got pretty high stats, a +10 weapon with a good deal of damage enhancing runes, and if it's any indication of my skill level, it only took me two tries for the last boss (last before the "true" or third ending).

Ferr986

Okay, so here's a question for those who've gotten the platinum trophy. I've gotten the first two endings and I'm planning on just reloading my saves, hitting up the optional areas I missed, and then going all the way through the main chalice dungeons. That said, how difficult/much of a grind are those dungeons going to be in order to get the boss trophy associated with them? I've got pretty high stats, a +10 weapon with a good deal of damage enhancing runes, and if it's any indication of my skill level, it only took me two tries for the last boss (last before the "true" or third ending).

Later Chalices are the hardest content in the game, especially Depth 5 and the defiled.
You may also need to grind for materials for some Chalices.

FHIZ

Later Chalices are the hardest content in the game, especially Depth 5 and the defiled.
You may also need to grind for materials for some Chalices.

Yeah, the grinding is going to need to happen. I have barely any ritual blood. But in terms of difficulty, is it more the bosses or are there a lot of bullshit enemies with poison and frenzy? Along those same lines, any areas that just give you poison because the game is just being a dick?

sjay1994

So I have a question.

I've beaten the game and platinumed it.

Was there any positive to having a lot of insight? It gives enemies new moves, adds new enemies to some areas, reduces your frenzy resist.

I just started dumping it into fire/bolt paper after a while because it didn't seem worth it to have.

myco666

I swore I already had all of the weapons but I sold some way back before I knew better. hhhmmm I want to see a master list because I don't have the trophy yet.

This is a good list. Tells how to get them.

So I have a question.

I've beaten the game and platinumed it.

Was there any positive to having a lot of insight? It gives enemies new moves, adds new enemies to some areas, reduces your frenzy resist.

I just started dumping it into fire/bolt paper after a while because it didn't seem worth it to have.

Seeing bunch of different stuff. Hear
Gehrman
mumbling stuff. Hear baby crying etc. Nothing that adds to gameplay besides the new moves and some enemies like in Hemwick area. Just spend it.

Yeah, the grinding is going to need to happen. I have barely any ritual blood. But in terms of difficulty, is it more the bosses or are there a lot of bullshit enemies with poison and frenzy? Along those same lines, any areas that just give you poison because the game is just being a dick?
Don't remember the areas really and I don't think there are bullshit enemies. The enemies have more hp and do more dmg prob similar to ng+. The bosses have a lot more hp and do a lot of dmg as well From what I have seen the vast majority of players are 110+ for the last 2 dungeons. I was lvl140 when I finished. But you do get a lot more blood echoes as well.

Ferr986

No frenzy, and overall there's not much regular bullshit in the areas up until root depth 5, and thats after the platinum.

There's some hard new bosses there, and theres one Chalice that cuts your health to half. Thats where everyone have the biggest problems.

keit4

Banned
Lock on is still better for regular enemies and small bosses (like Father). Is just the big bosses that are better without lock on, not just because of the camera, but also because you have more control rolling and it's easier to go behind them that way.

I think i'm not making myself clear. I know all that, i lock on regular enemies and small bosses, i just don't on the bigger ones. Still, some of the big bosses are very fast and that makes very hard to follow them even without the lock on because the camera behaves in a unpredictable way (and this is way worse if you are near a wall or some other obstacle).

spent two days dying to martyr over and over with summoned help dying too all the time. Just about ready to give up.

Spent my last insight point and last 10 blood vials on one last chance.

We fucking steamrolled him, felt SO good. Makes me remember why I love these games so much

I swore I already had all of the weapons but I sold some way back before I knew better. hhhmmm I want to see a master list because I don't have the trophy yet.

I bet it's the Beast Claw that your missing.
It's not in the story mode, its in the dungeons, I forget which one.

specdot

Oh man. I have no idea where that is. I thought I'd get the key to that place after the
Nightmare of Mensis
. Without spoiling if so can you direct me there? Sorry for being a bother. :)

danthefan

In the Charnel Lane area, am I dreaming or did I see one of the dogs drop a Twin Blood Shard? I'm trying to farm one here with no luck, need one more to level my axe up.

Aw yuss, got my Eileen, Hunter of Hunters shirt today!

IMG951751_zps8bfgflo8.jpg

So much better than official merch.

Onemic

when you get sent to Nightmare Frontier by that weird Alien looking dude is that a secret area? And is it a PVP battleground or something? Whenever I'm in there theres always a sinister bell looking for players to come gank me. I faced my first pvp opponent and just won due to my blood vials.

haha no, my apologizes if I worded it weird.
if you go to the grand cathedral, take a right by once you get out of the door by those 2 church servants with the cross. It should lead you to a cave and forest/graveyard area with alot of guys with guns. That leads you to Hemwick Charnel Lane where you can kill the witches to get the rune tool. With the rune tool you can equip runes back in the hunter's dream.

have the corruption caryll rune equipped and kill any hunter (NPC or players)

Thanks. Got the tools.

danthefan

Couldn't get near V.A.

Gained about 10 levels.

Still can't get near V.A.

I give up for the evening. Those twin blades and Ludwigs sword are available in the shop, would they be significant improvements on the starter weapons? They're damn expensive.

cakely

Couldn't get near V.A.

Gained about 10 levels.

I give up for the evening. Those twin blades and Ludwigs sword are available in the shop, would they be significant improvements on the starter weapons? They're damn expensive.

Focus on using attacks that hit her head and left arm. The hunters axe 2-handed mode R2 is a nice downward overhand chop that will get her right in the face if you aim it right.

Consider unlocking the camera, it will give you a bigger dodge so you can avoid her attacks.

Don't hesitate to get some distance from her when you need to heal, she's really not very aggressive compared to some of the other bosses.

BumRush

Couldn't get near V.A.

Gained about 10 levels.

If it helps, I absolutely demolished her with the Ludwig. Didn't try another weapon but it was taking chunks off and the R2 charge when she was healing made it a relatively easy fight.

Couldn't get near V.A.

Gained about 10 levels.

Ludwigs is a fantastic weapon, highly recommend it

Top Bottom