• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Does Root chalices have the same bosses as the regular ones?

Hypothetically it sould be exactly the same, but no, not necessarily.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the the boss pool is randomly picked from all bosses for that dungeon type (ex. for Pthumeru you can get Upper, Central, Lower, Defiled, and Ithyll Bosses adjusted for the appropriate difficulty, probably excluding
Yarnham
). For Isz and Loran I think the pool is expanded since there are less choices there.

If that's the area I think it is, you just train the spiders to the conveniently placed hole in the floor a couple of corners away. They fall down, you go in and mop up the bell-ringers and wolves. Job done.

They will follow you back up the spiral stairs and be back in the room after ~15 seconds.

knitoe

If I kill Eileen right when I met her, do I get the badge and am able to buy blades of Mercy?

Yes, but have fun getting the 40K to buy it since even the mobs that give you the most echos, werewolves, only give you like 400ish each. I tried that on a new char, but only to fail because of that. Now, if on NG+, it would be another matter.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They will follow you back up the spiral stairs and be back in the room after ~15 seconds.

It gives you ample time to take out the bell-ringers which will despawn most of the spiders. Dodging the wolves is easy enough and you can always reset and start over by waiting behind the pit.

Its pointless, but kind of an interesting puzzle to solve. A far harder nut to crack for me was the huge oil swamp area with 3 giants, two of which are toting cannons and have a long range of vision so that its kind of dfficult to attack one without the other aggroing.

That was a bit tough, but creative use of some of the lesser used tools did the job for me.

Okay so I killed Gascoigne, Cleric, Vicar, Witch, and Paarl. And I've explored every area very thoroughly.

And now I'm just running in circles. I don't know where I'm supposed to go. Could somebody be kind enough to point me to the right direction ?

joecanada

Yes, but have fun getting the 40K to buy it since even the mobs that give you the most echos, werewolves, only give you like 400ish each. I tried that on a new char, but only to fail because of that. Now, if on NG+, it would be another matter.

Is it 40? Huh I bought them right after 2nd boss... Worth it

Okay so I killed Gascoigne, Cleric, Vicar, Witch, and Paarl. And I've explored every area very thoroughly.

And now I'm just running in circles. I don't know where I'm supposed to go. Could somebody be kind enough to point me to the right direction ?

Go the the grand cathedral lamp post, make sure you touch the skull ( should have gotten a cutscene) down the stairs to the plaza where those 2 giants with axes are at. On the right should be a gaint dude and behind him a pathway. Take it. It should lead to the forbidden woods all the way at the end.

knitoe

Is it 40? Huh I bought them right after 2nd boss... Worth it
Yes. The Blade of Mercy cost 40K from the vendor. At the beginning of the game, when you first meet Eileen, you would be lucky to have a few 1000s echoes. As for bosses, Cleric Beast gives 4K, Father Gascoigne 1.8K and Blood-starved Beast 6.6K.

Xeteh

Yes. The Blade of Mercy cost 40K from the vendor. At the beginning of the game, when you first meet Eileen, you would be lucky to have a few 1000s echoes.

When I did it I just cleared towards BSB for echoes and shards. Took a bit but it wasn't too bad.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So the regular chalice dungeons are story based but root ones have better items and are totally random? Is it even worth doing the root ones? If I'm not going to get anything out of them I'd rather not do them but I want to do the ones that explain the story.

ryuken-d

I bet it's the Beast Claw that your missing.
It's not in the story mode, its in the dungeons, I forget which one.

actually I just got the claws in the depth 4 izs isz I think.... holy shit big duh over here. It has to be the Scythe! right?! I haven't beat
Gharmen
yet. jeez.

Onemic

Is Nightmare Frontier a PVP area or something? Whenever Im in there a sinister bell is constantly ringing.(Of course I had my first pvp battle there too)

Go the the grand cathedral lamp post, make sure you touch the skull ( should have gotten a cutscene) down the stairs to the plaza where those 2 giants with axes are at. On the right should be a gaint dude and behind him a pathway. Take it. It should lead to the forbidden woods all the way at the end.

Thanks. Got the cutscene already, but I must have missed that path, unless it only becomes available after you kill Vicar.

Btw, I still have a couple of locked doors in some areas (chapel area right next to a chest, top of the healing church workshop). I assume those doors are unlockable at some point ? Just want to know if I should keep trying.

joecanada

Equip the best anti fire armor you can find, equip max hp plus and damage reduction runes,then hope that's enough to not die in 1 hit.
I would also recommand to get a long range meele weapon and play it super save.

You must be in a lower dungeon than me I dodge straight in and slash his legs with blades of mercy then finish with heavy hit, which drops him then slash away and jump back. Three times in and dead.

Ya fire resistance tho

But dodging straight in is what I found effective

Edit - oops to add what you replied to original poster

knitoe

Is Nightmare Frontier a PVP area or something? Whenever Im in there a sinister bell is constantly ringing.(Of course I had my first pvp battle there too)

The Nightmare zones have a sinister bell ringing maiden who summons pvp invaders. If you find and kill her, she won't automatically spawns and pvp stops. Now, if you summon a helper (co-op), the game spawns her and she rings her sinister bell again.

yeah one of the areas you can get invaded.

Thanks. Got the cutscene already, but I must have missed that path, unless it only becomes available after you kill Vicar.

Btw, I still have a couple of locked doors in some areas (chapel area right next to a chest, top of the healing church workshop). I assume those doors are unlockable at some point ? Just want to know if I should keep trying.
You need a password, which you got from the cutscene, to contiune that direction. If you're talking about the locked door at the very top by the holy sword badge or whatever it's called, then you will be able to find the key in a later area of the game. It's kinda hard to find so
its in the unseen villiage after you clear the forbidden woods.

Edit: if one of the doors you are talking about is by the chest that gives you a gem by the gaint dude with the wreckin ball, then no that door can not be open.

Late Flag

You must be in a lower dungeon than me I dodge straight in and slash his legs with blades of mercy then finish with heavy hit, which drops him then slash away and jump back. Three times in and dead.

Ya fire resistance tho

But dodging straight in is what I found effective

Edit - oops to add what you replied to original poster

Yeah, none of that is going to work on the defiled version of that boss. The first version is no problem. The defiled version? Problem.

Cess007

There's a bell lady that summons other players to fight with you. If you kill her, she doesn't respawn and you don't have to fight PvP anymore

Yes to the door at thw top of the healing church workshop. For the other door i've no idea, and wonder the same

joecanada

Yes. The Blade of Mercy cost 40K from the vendor. At the beginning of the game, when you first meet Eileen, you would be lucky to have a few 1000s echoes. As for bosses, Cleric Beast gives 4K, Father Gascoigne 1.8K and Blood-starved Beast 6.6K.

Well you can start with a decent skill build plus cane, then move to blade mercy later... Also riflespear is a great long range compliment I upgraded blade mercy and riflespear

knitoe

Well you can start with a decent skill build plus cane, then move to blade mercy later... Also riflespear is a great long range compliment I upgraded blade mercy and riflespear
Yes, you can use another weapon while saving up for the Blade of Mercy, but my plan was to have it before killing any bosses. Obviously, that didn't work out very well.

Onemic

The Nightmare zones have a sinister bell ringing maiden who summons pvp invaders. If you find and kill her, she won't automatically spawns and pvp stops. Now, if you summon a helper (co-op), the game spawns her and she rings her sinister bell again.

I thought so. Shes in an area that;s inaccessible to me and I have no idea how to reach her. Is Nightmare Frontier an optional area, or is it part of the main quest? Because if it's optional I'll just go back to the Unseen Village, unless the area has some nice phat loot for me to get.

Toxi

Banned
There's this one room in Lower Loran layer 2 or 3, on the far side of the big bridge, that has 2 Bell Ringers (=6 respawning, yolo super aggro, red spiders), 2 of those tough werewolves, and a couple other dudes. And only one long hallway to enter/exit the room.

This was the most BS experience in the game. (Have done everything in NG, SL~105 except the Ithyll dungeon past layer 1) And there was no useful loot in the room, whatsoever.
I know which room you're talking about, and it gave me a lot of grief too.
So he has totally new movesets? He doesn't do headswipe, charge, aoe, and fire puke?
You have half health (So his charge is always a 1 hit kill and everything else is a 2 hit kill) and he has a crap ton more health. The charge also seemed a bit faster, but that could just be me.

knitoe

I thought so. Shes in an area that;s inaccessible to me and I have no idea how to reach her. Is Nightmare Frontier an optional area, or is it part of the main quest? Because if it's optional I'll just go back to the Unseen Village, unless the area has some nice phat loot for me to get.

Yes, it's optional. In Frontier, she's easy to get to.
From the lamp, follow the path leading round right pass where the 2 hunters appear, before going into the poison water area, look right, there's a little path up to the maiden, go up and kill her.

Trevelyan

Banned
So I'm up to SoY and don't think I've come across Eileen once... maybe I did at the very beginning of the game, but don't recall any other times I've seen her. Am I screwed with trying to get the Blade of Mercy?

joecanada

I know which room you're talking about, and it gave me a lot of grief too.

You have half health (So his charge is always a 1 hit kill and everything else is a 2 hit kill) and he has a crap ton more health. The charge also seemed a bit faster, but that could just be me.

Ya that sounds crappy. Definitely need enough resistance to survive at least one hit.

Does the coop person need to have the same dungeon or can you summon from any chalice? I hear you need at least sinister short root to be invited lower

Toxi

Banned
So I'm up to SoY and don't think I've come across Eileen once... maybe I did at the very beginning of the game, but don't recall any other times I've seen her. Am I screwed with trying to get the Blade of Mercy?
No, you'll be able to get them no problem. You'll just miss a rune.

You need a password, which you got from the cutscene, to contiune that direction. If you're talking about the locked door at the very top by the holy sword badge or whatever it's called, then you will be able to find the key in a later area of the game. It's kinda hard to find so
its in the unseen villiage after you clear the forbidden woods.

Edit: if one of the doors you are talking about is by the chest that gives you a gem by the gaint dude with the wreckin ball, then no that door can not be open.

Yes to the door at thw top of the healing church workshop. For the other door i've no idea, and wonder the same

Thanks guys :)

The last door I can't open is in the Hypogean Gaol, right of the lamp when you spawn. Since this is a pretty small area I'm quite sure it can't be opened, right ?

MidEvlDed

I messed up too, but there is still a way to get it.
If you screw up the questline, you can find her in the cathedral where you fought Vicar Amelia I believe. You have to kill her and that gives you the crow hunter badge.

Cess007

Thanks guys :)

The last door I can't open is in the Hypogean Gaol, right of the lamp when you spawn. Since this is a pretty small area I'm quite sure it can't be opened, right ?

Yes, but only later in the game :) (there's actually two doors there, one at the left of the lamp that you can open if you go around the church outside)

B
loodletting
B
east
was altogether much easier than the P
thumerian
D
escendant
, but still an asshole. That damn hitbox. Pretty sure I was squashed by his arse on a few occasions.

Invading people in the N
ightmare of Mensis
feels so conflicting. On one hand it's a lot of fun to be PVP'ing like Dark Souls had things arranged, but on the other hand I feel kind of shitty every time I kill somebody. I know if I was progressing through the zone I wouldn't want somebody invading me. :|

Toxi

Banned
Actually, just fuck those roly-poly bastards. Fuck them.
giphy.gif

I'm in NG so it should be cake. I missed her first play through, I think that savage ate her.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I feel like I screwed myself with my build. I put that first fire gem into my saw spear and didn't even think about why Arcane was suddenly the stat that boosted my attacks, so I just kept dumping points into Arcane. Now I'm coming up against bosses that are strong against fire/bolt, so... Now what? Pulling out the elemental gems completely nerfs the saw spear and I don't feel like I have a good alternative. I'd love to get the blades of mercy but that dude in the cathedral is unreal. Not sure what to do if I want to get away from my dependency on elemental gems

Top Bottom