• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

OctoMan

Banned
I wish multi-player could be constant. It never worked for me early in the game anways even when I used the proper item. But the atmosphere kind of weighs on me just wish I could play with people.

I'm on the second boss and used 3 bells to get people but no one ever showed up and the items went away. Frustrating.

This pain in the ass right here (Eb*) took me I don't know how many tries before I actually won. There are just so few opportunities to hit and the rush attack that she does is almost impossible to dodge unless you are in far range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfzLqLNmEGs

With Dark Souls 1 & 2, I felt that the games got easier the later you get in the game (with some exception bosses), this game so far has been the opposite. Which is OK personally. I'm still loving the game and I've been playing about an hour each day religiously.

The relentless oppressive/dark/nightmare nature is wearing me down however. I'm probably not going to jump back in with NG+ right away. There are some places like the woods that makes me really question if I ever want to do that again.

That was twenty times more intense than my fight with her.

I saw a note outside the fight that said "close range battle is effective" so I stuck to her hips like glue and just used regain to keep me going. I only died once because I got hit by the lasers and had no idea what happened. I was never far enough away to see the light show coming.

Hanmik

Need some advice.

Getting my arse kicked fighting that character (hunter) with the sword in the mansion at
byrgenwerth

Is she/he weak to something?

easy way to kill her.

Before fighting
Rom
for the first time and activating the fog wall. You can lure her outside to the balcony, here you can knock her into the water.
If you enter the boss area now, she will die immediately upon hitting the water, and you can collect her drops.

I die to guys using the Chankata and Blades of Mercy more than any other in PVP

Oh I'm not saying I'm not dying to these weapons. I just think many people are shit at using them because they become really easy to predict after a few seconds of fighting. Literally all they do is dodge around and whenever they're near try to land the dash attack with the BoM.

Of course there are people who actually use the whole moveset and rek me. :p

Chalice Boss U
dead Giant
is a push over but really cool. I wish it was a bit faster so it was more threatening.
Don't tell me this happens in later Chalices... I was only half joking. >_>
Chalice dungeon bosses are joke bosses at first, but as you complete them and gain access to Depths 3-5 you will see much more threatening bosses.

WITHE1982

Chalice Boss U
dead Giant
is a push over but really cool. I wish it was a bit faster so it was more threatening.
Don't tell me this happens in later Chalices... I was only half joking. >_>

You do get a
cannon wielding version
in another dungeon which is pretty cool but also a complete pushover. More so than the normal one.

I read earlier that the Blades of Mercy stop scaling with SKL after a certain SKL lvl. Is this true?

Also which attacks do arcane dmg? I mostly use it in 2H form and have it upgraded to +9. The SKL buff for the weapon is S

Gems:
+18 ATK x 2
+12 SKL (removing this doesn't affect the S rating for SKL but the S rating does turn red as if doing less dmg)

It stops scaling at 99 with minimal gains past 50.

It is a misconception that the arcane bonus only applies to certain attacks. Blade of Mercy is a split damage weapon and the arcane damage is applied to every attack. There is an added damage modifier for the special attacks that you can execute immediately after dodging. The arcane scaling is extremely low so unless you plan on using a lot of magic or farming the right gems, it might not be worth it to dump points into arcane.

Personally, I like using magic and I use the transformed mode a large majority of the time which restricts gun use so it was worth it to dump some points into arcane.

fantomena

If I die when
Gherman attacks me, can I still go to for example Old Yharnam, grind a bit and then go back to Hunter's Dream and buy more stuff or do I have to buy everything I need before the battle?

Even though it doesn't have high scaling, the arcane damage on the Blade of Mercy is great because putting Arcane Gems on it doesn't completely render your Dex scaling worthless. I like to dump my arcane gems on Blade of Mercy and have my good physical gems on my Threaded Cane/Ludwig's.

Toxi

Banned
If I die when
Gherman attacks me, can I still go to for example Old Yharnam, grind a bit and then go back to Hunter's Dream and buy more stuff or do I have to buy everything I need before the battle?
You might want to spoiler tag that.

And yeah, if you die in that fight (Or use a Bold Hunter's Mark), you can leave the area to do whatever you want.

Baalzebup

If I die when
Gherman attacks me,
can I still go to for example Old Yharnam, grind a bit and then go back to Hunter's Dream and buy more stuff or do I have to buy everything I need before the battle?

That still constitutes for a spoiler, so please tag it. And yes, you can still do whatever you want if you die there. It just locks out
the ending where you don't even fight him
since that is a choice you make before the fight begins. Everything else is free game.

Edit: Damn, beaten once more.

Woah, found out that NPC cooperators don't count towards the 2 player summoning limit so I had 3 cooperators with me fighting BSB. I wish there are more NPC summons in the game, there's only two right?

Experien

This pain in the ass right here (Eb*) took me I don't know how many tries before I actually won. There are just so few opportunities to hit and the rush attack that she does is almost impossible to dodge unless you are in far range.

With Dark Souls 1 & 2, I felt that the games got easier the later you get in the game (with some exception bosses), this game so far has been the opposite. Which is OK personally. I'm still loving the game and I've been playing about an hour each day religiously.

The relentless oppressive/dark/nightmare nature is wearing me down however. I'm probably not going to jump back in with NG+ right away. There are some places like the woods that makes me really question if I ever want to do that again.

I killed it in one try (well 2nd, but first try was immediate instant death kill), but you could've attacked it other places than its head & tentacles. The main thing that comes to mind when looking at your video is: why are you only trying to attack it head on?

j-wood

Woah, found out that NPC cooperators don't count towards the 2 player summoning limit so I had 3 cooperators with me fighting BSB. I wish there are more NPC summons in the game, there's only two right?

There is a limit? I fought cerlic beast with 3/4 people yesterday...

Oni Jazar

That was twenty times more intense than my fight with her.

I saw a note outside the fight that said "close range battle is effective" so I stuck to her hips like glue and just used regain to keep me going. I only died once because I got hit by the lasers and had no idea what happened. I was never far enough away to see the light show coming.

I killed it in one try (well 2nd, but first try was immediate instant death kill), but you could've attacked it other places than its head & tentacles. The main thing that comes to mind when looking at your video is: why are you only trying to attack it head on?

Well it seemed that every time I tried going in close I either had a real hard time watching her tells about when she was going to swipe plus it was impossible to dodge her rush attack (which she did way too often even up close)

BuzzZaw75

Neo Member
I beat my third Chalice Dungeon last night the Lower Pthumeru with the Pth Descendant...a real pain for me. However I didn't get a single Blood Echo and just another Chalice...Hintertomb. Seems like all I'm getting is more materials to build more Dungeons but not necessarily items to help me along. I've opened a lot of chest...including some very large ones...and all I'm seeing is more Chalice materials, Blood Shards and Bullets. I feel like being in some shell game where you beat one part and as your reward you get a shot at the next one.

Note - I did get the option of buying the Bone Ash Set but that's been about it.....

There is a limit? I fought cerlic beast with 3/4 people yesterday...

Mind blown if true. I've just been going by Dark Souls rules and moving on to the boss once I get two summons.

Are you sure one of the cooperators wasn't an NPC? You can summon one for CB as well.

I had a tough time with her too. 4 or 5 times I got her health down till two or three slashes would have finished her off then the laser beam comes out of nowhere and one-shots me.

tcrunch

You can dodge it pretty easily if you are up close. I will make a gif when I am at home, but for now look at 0:43 and 0:54 in this video. I also failed one at 2:23 but didn't get instagibbed because -most- of it still fell in iframe range. Either that or getting hit by just her body/edges does not do as much damage as her head. I definitely goofed up dodging a bunch of other attacks and she still couldn't kill me (Level 20). She is weak! You can do it!

e: Well technically you already got her but you know what I mean...have heart for the future! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7QYSu9j6Y8

j-wood

Mind blown if true. I've just been going by Dark Souls rules and moving on to the boss once I get two summons.

Are you sure one of the cooperators wasn't an NPC? You can summon one for CB as well.

Yeah just did some googling, I think you can have up to 4 people. I had 3 other real people in the CB fight

Experien

Well it seemed that every time I tried going in close I either had a real hard time watching her tells about when she was going to swipe plus it was impossible to dodge her rush attack (which she did way too often even up close)

I wouldn't say impossible, I managed to dodge her rush attack once or twice, but I did get nailed by it quite a few times and almost got Frenzy. Guess my thoughts in this game is: it is better to just hit the blasted thing instead of having to hit it in its weak/vulnerable spot. Aslong as I am doing damage, I am heading in the right direction.

I mean with
Amygdala
, I was swinging at feet and doing SO little damage (had a few swipes that were like 8 or 9 damage) but I was alive and it was dying and I managed to do it in one go.

Ferr986

I beat my third Chalice Dungeon last night the Lower Pthumeru with the Pth Descendant...a real pain for me. However I didn't get a single Blood Echo and just another Chalice...Hintertomb. Seems like all I'm getting is more materials to build more Dungeons but not necessarily items to help me along. I've opened a lot of chest...including some very large ones...and all I'm seeing is more Chalice materials, Blood Shards and Bullets. I feel like being in some shell game where you beat one part and as your reward you get a shot at the next one.

Note - I did get the option of buying the Bone Ash Set but that's been about it.....

The only worth shit is in the last chalice (depth 5). The road to it is just material grinding.

Semper88

Can't get past
CB
in NG+ It has like insane amount of HP. Been wailing on it for 5 mins only got 25% HP off. I got a +9
Scythe
Really long fights don't make it fun.. I like the short but thrilling

I got like 35 into strenght and the rest on vit/endurance at lvl 80ish.

Can't get past
CB
in NG+ It has like insane amount of HP. Been wailing on it for 5 mins only got 25% HP off. I got a +9
Scythe

You might want to start on Chalice dungeons because eventually around
Depth 4
they start
dropping blood gems you can't get in a regular playthrough.

Experien

Can't get past
CB
Scythe

That weapon scales well with Skill as well. Also, Arcane if I remember correctly.

Miletius

Well, guidebook ordered. I want to keep myself relatively spoiler free but I also liked the look of it A LOT. So, I'm gonna try and finish up at least one run and then dive into the guidebook.

Can't get past
CB
Scythe

This is exactly why I never do NG+ runs

Thankfully Souls games typically make New Game the best part and make everything completable in one run for the most part

benjammin

I think fighting her head on is a pretty decent strategy. It's easier to see what she's doing and to dodge her attacks. Really the charge and the flying charge are the only two that you have to worry about, the rest are pretty easy to get out the way of. I tried sticking to her sides and back and was using a ton of vials from getting caught with swipes and her quick turns. Fighting her head on and baiting her head smash made the fight longer but simpler.

cakely

Can't get past
CB
Scythe

Use fire paper (spend some of that insight you got in NG), and focus on hitting him in his face, with your overhand swing. CB's legs don't take much damage.

Also, for fun, you can summon
Father Gascoigne
for the fight. He does very little damage, but he looks cool and is a nice distraction.

I'm suprised at how easy B
lood-Starved Beast
was in the Ailing Loran chalice dungeon. All i did was parry him the entire time, which is odd since i could never parry the story mode version and always needed a cooperator.

taybul

Can't get past
CB
Scythe

I think he's the only one amplified so much. I was surprised too when I first faced him; felt like I was hitting him with a wet noodle. Guess this is From's way of saying "Welcome to NG+,
bitch
."

I'm kinda mad I can't get the real ending. Now I have to painfully do it all over again.

Yeah me too, finished my 1st playthrough last night and killed
Gehrman
on the second try.
Apparently I missed several of the last few optional bosses/areas and messed up some NPC quests. I'll probably wait a while before coming back to it.

Beaulieu

just hit her in the back, took her down in 90 seconds on my 2nd try
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ZBzPnKq4k

Stainless

Yeah me too, finished my 1st playthrough last night and killed
Gehrman
on the second try.
Apparently I missed several of the last few optional bosses/areas and messed up some NPC quests. I'll probably wait a while before coming back to it.

Yeah, even with people already speedrunning the game, to me it's a bit of an ordeal to start a new playthrough, so on this 2nd one I'm doing all the optional bosses and making some different choices. I never did get all the npc stuff right so if I do NG++ or roll a new character, I'll probably focus on that next time.

I did finish the Alfred quest line which I didn't complete last time.
.. I love how when you show up at Vileblood Queen's throne room after giving him the unopened summons, he's talking shit about turning her into a pile of goop and basically having a gore-orgy.

Finally killed ML yesterday.
Took me about 10-15 tries. By far the boss in the game so far. He was tough and beating him relied on pure skill, and not some cheap trick. At least that's how I felt. He had a good variety of attacks and kind of reminded me of Artorias.

Mogwai

Finally killed ML yesterday.
Took me about 10-15 tries. By far the boss in the game so far. He was tough and beating him relied on pure skill, and not some cheap trick. At least that's how I felt. He had a good variety of attacks and kind of reminded me of Artorias.
It's a great fight. To me, ML is what the Gwyn fight should have been. They are both agile, but Gwyn had really no interesting tricks up his sleeve.

benjammin

It's a great fight. To me, ML is what the Gwyn fight should have been. They are both agile, but Gwyn had really no interesting tricks up his sleeve.

He's my favorite boss fight so far as well. It really tests your parrying and counter attack skills, and I like that there are subtle tricks to make the fight more straight forward.

It doesn't hurt that I've completely dominated him so far either. I killed him on my first attempt originally, then killed him again on my first attempt after my save was corrupted. And I helped 4 people kill him last night. He's a fun fight for sure

Need some advice.

Getting my arse kicked fighting that character (hunter) with the sword in the mansion at
byrgenwerth

Is she/he weak to something?

Here's what I did:
When you enter the mansion run straight to the staircase and fight her on the stairs. I did this and she wasn't able to dodge around to avoid my attacks. Use a fast weapon (I used the Saw Cleaver) and just keep wailing on her, she'll have trouble getting any attacks going. You might get hit a few times but try to keep her contained and she should go down without too much troub
le.

Jyrii

Banned
I went back to my second run on Dark Souls (on PC) after finishing Bloodborne.

Man it feels weird. Framerate is so smooth, but the gameplay is a lot slower.

Having trouble against O&S, but mainly because the gameplay speed seems so off from what I have been used to now.

Respect

I went back to my second run on Dark Souls (on PC) after finishing Bloodborne.

Man it feels weird. Framerate is so smooth, but the gameplay is a lot slower.

Having trouble against O&S, but mainly because the gameplay speed seems so off from what I have been used to now.

Main reason I can't bring myself to dive into Scholar of the first sin...bought it, but the slow combat is going to be a drag since I am still not done with BB.

Top Bottom