• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

gunbo13

I've grown to like them, but they're definitely not for everyone. The one thing I really wish is that they provided better gems; I've barely found anything that outclasses the gems I found in the main story.
Try lower root chalices. Best gem drops I have seen.

I'm standing right in front of the very final area in the game before NG+ and I have-

1) Killed all the optional bosses
2) Gotten all three Covenant runes
3) Finished the little girl's questline
4) Gotten the Blood Rock and the last Moon Rune
5) Revived you-know-who
6) Gotten all the weapons and tools except for the final boss weapon
7) Gotten all the trophies except for the Chalice final boss, and the bloodgem mastery which I can get from the Chalice.

I've only left to get the last cord from you-know-who, is there anything I've left out?

silva1991

They can be farmed. It's just that once you get into NG+ you are completely cut off from any supply of Blood Chunks in an environment where you're expected to have +9/+10 weapons.

Nope. They scale the most with Skill IIRC. You can also still add Arcane gems to them and get the benefits of physical scaling.

My build has 40 skill points and 9 is that good for blade of mercy? I really don't want to make a third build am tired of grinding : (

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I recently started doing PvP and have really been enjoying it. I have 39 wins and 8 losses at the moment.
I thought I'd stream for fun: www.twitch.tv/razor_tv

I'm Level 65 and at the Nightmare Frontier now. Hopefully I can go against some of you!

Toxi

Banned
Try lower root chalices. Best gem drops I have seen.
Yeah, I haven't been doing root chalices and I probably should. Would you recommend Cursed and Defiled, Lower Loran, or Great Isz? I'm guessing Great Isz is a bad choice since the majority of the gems I found there were Arcane-based.

lantus

Got to Castle Cainhurst last night and
Martyr Logarius
is one tough bastard. I found myself out of vials before he even got to half health once, which was a first ever for me on a boss. Love this area of the game though! Atmosphere is fantastic! :)

oracrest

Finally beat this last night, the "special" ending.

I noticed a few strange things while playing, and am posting them here to hear some thoughts. Maybe they have been brought up before?

this is where I would normally disregard something as artistic oversight, but considering how detail oriented these games are, and how prominently the moon plays a part in the events, I though this was interesting.

Everyone knows that the moon (or sun) will form a reflection in a direct line of sight from the viewer, like so:

bWuXbly.jpg

Now in this area, this is clearly not the case. Maybe it's eluding to a "false" moon, or something like that?

dFo6wc7

Kodiak333

Neo Member
My route is:

- Warp to Central Yharnam
- Go through gate on left, kill torch wielding mob
- Go down stairs on left and kill the 2 hulking mobs
- Go down elevator at end, kill all the enemies on the way to Tomb of Odeon
- Backtrack a bit and go down the long ladder to the sewers
- Backstab pig, backtrack towards Yharnam, focus on everything but crows and riflemen
- Work towards CB lamp and warp back

I do this but except after killing the two hulking mobs I go through the house instead of the elevator

1. Go through the house with the guy in a wheelchair and the other dude (may get 2 vials and 4 bullets).
2. Go up the stairs in the house and kill the two guys there (possibly more vials)
3. Walk out the door on the second floor to the bridge where there are two wolves (which sometimes yield 3 vials a piece)
4. Repeat

Now in this area,
this is clearly not the case. Maybe it's eluding to a "false" moon, or something like that?
Probaly best to have put this in the unmarked story thread, but
I can't say for certain if it was intentional or not but Rom was indeed masking the sky that you see later on in Central Yharnam.

Ferr986

I noticed a few strange things while playing, and am posting them here to hear some thoughts. Maybe they have been brought up before?

this is where I would normally disregard something as artistic oversight, but considering how detail oriented these games are, and how prominently the moon plays a part in the events, I though this was interesting.

Everyone knows that the moon (or sun) will form a reflection in a direct line of sight from the viewer, like so:

bWuXbly.jpg

Now in this area, this is clearly not the case. Maybe it's eluding to a "false" moon, or something like that?

dFo6wc7

Worse is seeing clouds going behind the moon. Like you said, maybe "false" moon but it looks so weird.

Probaly best to have put this in the unmarked story thread, but
I can't say for certain if it was intentional or not but Rom was indeed masking the sky that you see later on in Central Yharnam.

That's just a theory though.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Duders.

After buying a PS4 for this game, playing it for 2 weeks and then getting too frustrated with it to continue... I finally manned up and fired up the PS4 last night.

Before last night, I couldnt beat BSB. I started getting stressed out over it and thus quit. I was also stuck on the Witches, but I hadnt really given them many tries.

Last night - I beat the Witches in 2 tries. Then.. on my FIRST attempt at BSB, I beat the shit out of him. I cant even explain how hype I got after beating him. He was basically what kept me from continuing on in this game (that and having to farm blood vials).

Anyways, im on to amelia now.. and yet again.. Im out of vials. Im looking at places to easily farm them. This is still my biggest gripe about the game so far, but after overcoming my biggest hurdles, I dont mind spending 10-15 minutes farming for more.

Anyone know where I can maximize my vial collection considering where I am currently? (I assume im still pretty early in the game).

For future bosses try to exploit the regain system for when you get nicked. And study a boss before wasting vials on attempts. It can be awesome to down a boss on the first encounter but I think you'll find it even more satisfying to know how to fight the boss without getting hit much and beating him without having to heal a lot.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

I can't stand Trophies/Achievements (working in the gaming industry, doing QA Testing for games and having to earn the same Trophies/Achievements over and over again, every day for months on end kind of kills your interest in them), but it was incredibly satisfying to get the Platinum Trophy for Bloodborne.

What a fantastic game. I only had 7 to get last night, including the Plat, and they were all pretty simple. Even the last trophy I got, which was a fight against (Chalice Dungeon boss) Y
harnam
wasn't as hard as I was expecting.

Doing the Chalice Dungeons really, really gets your skills up to par for the campaign mode. I noticed I improved significantly, especially in the area of Visceral Attacks.

I'm incredibly tempted to start a New Game ++, or a new game with a new character, but I have a huge backlog. This has been an amazing ride, and I am eager for whatever From comes up with next. Maybe I'll go back and beat Dark Souls finally...

Kamina

Golden Boy

bWuXbly.jpg

It doesnt always look like this in reality. It greatly depends on the angle from which you look into the water.

ryuken-d

On Blood Stone Chunks.....

I've seen these classified as being rare, hard to get and be mindful on how you use them. I've got one weapon (Holy Blade) at +7 and my other two I use at +6. I have (3) Chunks now and was thinking should I hold and wait to upgrade the Holy Blade or put them in my second weapon.

I've done Canehurst with the exception of Marty L. I've done the first section of The Unseen Village and now at the Lamp in the Cathedral where the two Body Snatchers were my first time but no-more. Have not done Upper Cathedral Ward, Nightmare, Lecture Hall.

Are the Blood Chunks a "once found, one time get" item or can they actually be farmed?

Second considering where I'm at, should I do the second part of the Unseen village and get to The Reborn Boss? I saw there are some type of Werewolf that drops these? Thank you for any suggestions....

you can farm them in
upper catherdral
from the blue eyed wolves. equip some eye runes and your good to go. I got about 8 of them after going through the area about 5 times. there are 5 wolves. they drop twin stones all the time as well.

Gurrry

there are people who died at the witches?

I died like 3-4 times because i fucking suck at this game. Believe it or not, this is coming from someone who used to stream no death DS2 runs and have played and beated DS1 so many times i cant even count.

This game is just different for me. Im still not used to the combat. I never feel comfortable attacking to regain health. Hell, just found out yesterday that you can charge an R2 attack for a backstab. I also didnt realize you can be so far away and still get off a parry. Im still learning new things that seem simple. Keep in mind ive avoided all spoilers and refuse to look up guides or watch videos.

I guess im only good at the soul games once I play them multiple times. But BB for me has just taken alot longer and has been more stressful. Its also been discouraging at how bad i am considering I can crush Ds2 and Ds1 so easily.

Stainless

Anyways, im on to amelia now.. and yet again.. Im out of vials. Im looking at places to easily farm them. This is still my biggest gripe about the game so far, but after overcoming my biggest hurdles, I dont mind spending 10-15 minutes farming for more.

Anyone know where I can maximize my vial collection considering where I am currently? (I assume im still pretty early in the game).

I just kill some trash then go buy them with blood echoes. They're like, 180 echoes to start, and even later in the game when they're more expensive, you can easily accumulate enough souls after just a few mins of kills where you can stock up easily for several boss fight attempts. Basically if you do this, you'll overstock and the surplus will go into your storage, which will replenish your inventory as full every time you rez at a lamp after you die

lavarock

Neo Member
Geez. M
icholash
becomes a real crap shoot and a waste of time on NG+.
I decked myself out in full Choir Garb and put on two Arcane Resist boosting runes and I still get one shotted by the fireworks after spending like 20 minutes just to get to that point.

I know I can shoot him to stop it.

I had the same issue with
Micolash
. Killed him in one try in NG but having lots of trouble in NG+ by constantly been one shot by him with his call beyond. Then I found out a simple cheese strat (throw poison knife/range to him in his second phase at balcony)...

gunbo13

Yeah, I haven't been doing root chalices and I probably should. Would you recommend Cursed and Defiled, Lower Loran, or Great Isz? I'm guessing Great Isz is a bad choice since the majority of the gems I found there were Arcane-based.
It depends what gems you want. You can get an idea with the below link.
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Blood+Gems

I have tempering damp blood gems of 20.3/18.0/20.3

EDIT:
I found a +20.3 in pthumeru Ihyll root FYI.

I died like 3-4 times because i fucking suck at this game. Believe it or not, this is coming from someone who used to stream no death DS2 runs and have played and beated DS1 so many times i cant even count.

This game is just different for me. Im still not used to the combat. I never feel comfortable attacking to regain health. Hell, just found out yesterday that you can charge an R2 attack for a backstab. I also didnt realize you can be so far away and still get off a parry. Im still learning new things that seem simple. Keep in mind ive avoided all spoilers and refuse to look up guides or watch videos.

I guess im only good at the soul games once I play them multiple times. But BB for me has just taken alot longer and has been more stressful. Its also been discouraging at how bad i am considering I can crush Ds2 and Ds1 so easily.

Bloodborne is a different beast from Souls games. There is a beginner's guide in the OP by VaatiVidya that is non-spoilery and goes over game mechanics. You say that you refuse to watch videos though, so I guess you can just read the tutorial messages in Hunter's Dream and maybe look at the digital manual online.

gunbo13

Reposting. Hope the knowledge is out there somewhere.
So I wasn't aware PS plus is needed for glyphs. Though it makes sense.

If I farm lower chalice root, anyone know my chances for blood rocks? I'm also curious if it is both regular and sinister ones that have the drops. Also if anyone has scored a drop and where.

Got to Castle Cainhurst last night and
Martyr Logarius
is one tough bastard. I found myself out of vials before he even got to half health once, which was a first ever for me on a boss. Love this area of the game though! Atmosphere is fantastic! :)

So hard stuck on this boss atm just grinding a few levels to help

JerkShep

Any advice for a SL4 run? I'm going with Hunter Axe and Hunter Pistol for the moment. Beat
CB, FG and the Witch
easily enough, but
Blood Starved Beast's poison is a death sentence most of the time
. General suggestions are welcome.

Any advice for a SL4 run? I'm going with Hunter Axe and Hunter Pistol for the moment. Beat
CB, FG and the Witch
easily enough, but

That boss is optional, unless you want to access
chalice dungeons and unlock the elevator to the healing church workshop
. But if you want to kill it, use
blood cocktails to distract it. That gives you a chance to unload on it and maybe get a backstab/visceral. Equipping Father G or Black Church Attire will help with the poison

Hello! "Make Contact" ( I'm not english Btw )

I don't know if i can post this here, but i'm noob here so i can't create a thread for it.

I made a funny ( or try to be funny ) video!

A Nice Duel + How to PvP Healing with Deep Respect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwty2XTREtA

Just for fun! Enjoy! Feedback if you want!

I enjoyed that.

C'était câlicement drôle!

Definitely don't make threads for those though :p

Toxi

Banned
CB, FG and the Witch
easily enough, but
When BSB pauses facing towards you, it's going to pounce, so move out of the way. Stay on the boss's left side/behind it and don't try going for visceral attacks, just hit and run. Wear poison resistant gear (Black Church set is great, Father Gascoigne set is also good) so you take less poison damage during the last part of the fight. Try to end the last part of the fight as quickly as possible.

taybul

CB, FG and the Witch
easily enough, but

Poison resist and spam R2 for a cheap and easy fight. When he gets his poison AOE start using urn + molotovs. If you don't have those attack then back out and wait for the poison to fall off a bit.

JerkShep

That boss is optional, unless you want to access
chalice dungeons and unlock the elevator to the healing church workshop
. But if you want to kill it, use
blood cocktails to distract it. That gives you a chance to unload on it and maybe get a backstab/visceral. Equipping Father G or Black Church Attire will help with the poison

Thanks, didn't know blood cocktails worked. I know BSB is optional but I just wanted to try to do all the bosses. I could come back later with a more upgraded weapon I guess, but if I have problems with BSB I see myself going crazy with stuff like Ebrietas lol

gunbo13

Managed to stun-parry the K
eeper of the Old Lords
to death in the Defiled chalice. He didn't even get a chance to buff his sword. it was nice.
He actually gets stuck in that dual attack backstep loop. You can even not visceral him and just hack him up. It usually happens when he is in one of the corners. I killed him with that exact loop and it was just a hack-a-thon until he died. This loop also prevents his buff, as you noticed.

EDIT:
Tip, you dash at him after the backstep to keep him stuck in the loop.

oracrest

It doesnt always look like this in reality. It greatly depends on the angle from which you look into the water.

You're right that it doesn't always look like this, but the issue is with the position of the moon to the angle of the water surface, and then to the viewer.

In the screenshot, that is not physically possible. The light source and it's reflection are always in alignment when bouncing off a flat water surface towards the viewer. There may be some choppiness to the water that will make the reflection more or less blurry, but they'll always be in alignment.

some examples

squidyj

Duders.

After buying a PS4 for this game, playing it for 2 weeks and then getting too frustrated with it to continue... I finally manned up and fired up the PS4 last night.

Before last night, I couldnt beat BSB. I started getting stressed out over it and thus quit. I was also stuck on the Witches, but I hadnt really given them many tries.

Last night - I beat the Witches in 2 tries. Then.. on my FIRST attempt at BSB, I beat the shit out of him. I cant even explain how hype I got after beating him. He was basically what kept me from continuing on in this game (that and having to farm blood vials).

go from witches abode through the gate. kill the three big axe weilding dudes and the brick dude and anybody else who gets in your way. then either die or pop a bold hunter's mark.

The Miyazaki interview in the official guide is excellent. Here's some of the most interesting things from it (some possible spoilers, so tagging it just in case):

* Miyazaki spends only about 20% of his time on his presidential duties
* Nobody thought Demon's or Dark Souls would succeed. Given their success, this helped the Bloodborne development in various ways, although gives extra pressure to the team.
* From has a "balance" team, and Miyazaki has not worked closely with the balance on the game
* They did playtesting, but he makes it clear that they don't just blindly follow people's suggestions. The game is definitely not "designed by focus group".
* Chalice dungeons weren't inspired by roguelike games, but rather as a way to keep that sense of discovery when you're in a new area after you've completed the game.
* He says the Wooden Shield becomes more important the more times you play through the game. (...wat?)
* Miyazaki loves reading people's theories about the stories in his games
* There's some *really* interesting stuff about whether or not everything in the game is a dream or not. (e.g., are places like Central Yharnam based in reality, or are they all just part of the nightmare?) He says that it was absolutely deliberate to leave that question in player's minds.
* They talk about the fine line of just letting "anything happen" if you are in a dream world, which could reduce enjoyment in the game. He says they were careful not to make it feel like anything could pop up at any time. (So even if it's a dream, it seems to be rooted in reality somehow. And this part wasn't in the interview, but in the Lovecraftian mythos dreams are often seen as another plane of reality. So even if it is all a dream, that doesn't make it "not real" in the game's story.)
* He talks a bit about the Gothic -> "Cthulu-style" (Lovecraftian) horror themes. The Gothic style is depicted from the start because it's more based in reality, which allows it to be eroded away by the Lovecraftian horror the further you get in the game.
* He pretty much confirms that Iosefka gets turned into the blue monster that drops the Iosefka's Vial
* He likes the character of Fake Iosefka a lot, even calling her "one of the heroines of the game". She follows the "scholarly investigator" trope, which he likes a lot. (Freke, Logan, etc.)
* Miyazaki thinks he's not very good at charecterization
* The sky is "Paleblood" because it's a pale blue, like a body that's been drained of blood
* There are multiple possible interpretations of Paleblood. For example, it's also another name for the Moon Presence.
* He says every other game he makes is inscrutable and interpretive, and the next is easier to understand. (According to him: Armored Core 4: hard to understand, For Answer: easier to understand, Demon's Souls: harder, Dark Souls: easier, Bloodborne: harder.)
* He finds something beautiful in dismalness, lack of salvation, and insanity
* Babies are offered as lures to the Great Ones because they all lose their children due to their "position"
* The Great Ones have fewer offspring because of how advanced they are. He says more advanced societies have lower birthrates.
* Threaded Cane is his favorite weapon, which is why it's priced higher. (Says they are playing favorites.)
* He says that ignoring gameplay, Rom is his favorite boss. He says he likes her plaintive air and the cute aspects of her movement.
* He's jealous of people that are scared of the dark
* The harder you try to resist beasthood, the more extreme of a beast you will become. (He says it's like a recoil effect.) This explains, for example, why clerics became the most fearsome beasts
* He's quite fond of Patches. He mentions that there are a lot of other "spider man" creatures in the game that have all gone insane. But he loves the fact that Patches maintains his sanity and continues his research.
* Miyazaki names everything in his games (except the titles).
* He says he personally laid out all of the maps in Bloodborne. (I'm unsure how much that actually entail -- i.e., did he just do a general overview of each area, or was he sitting there mapping out all of the shortcuts and everything?)

There's even more stuff in there, but that was some of the more interesting bits. I highly recommend the guide, it's really great.

* He says the Wooden Shield becomes more important the more times you play through the game. (...wat?)
Interesting. There may be some hidden mechanic affecting its poise/damage reduction on block.

EDIT:

* He's quite fond of Patches. He mentions that there are a lot of other "spider man" creatures in the game that have all gone insane. But he loves the fact that Patches maintains his sanity and continues his research.
Patches was secretly the biggest bro in Dark Souls and the one character that was ironically the most sane in the end so this doesn't surprise me.

Top Bottom