• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

joecanada

Miyazaki's favorite boss is Rom?? *snaps disc in half*

ya rom is okay, pretty boring actually though, his AOE is what will get you most of the time when you are in close... but I don't find the boss great in variety or art....its a giant spider which I usually like but nothing super special.

some of the big beast bosses are pretty cool looking... tough to pick one.

^ edit - i do agree that location is cool though for sure... just thought he should do more, webs or something...

Saint9806

ya rom is okay, pretty boring actually though, his AOE is what will get you most of the time when you are in close... but I don't find the boss great in variety or art....its a giant spider which I usually like but nothing super special.

^ edit - i do agree that location is cool though for sure... just thought he should do more, webs or something...
We don't know the reason why Rom is his favorite. I read an interview where he said he makes bosses with real people in mind. Could be this or a number of other reasons why Rom is his favorite.

Toxi

Banned
Rom is a cutie-patooty. I love how she is just peacefully minding her own business until you start smacking her with a saw blade for no reason.

taybul

Rom is a cutie-patooty. I love how she is just peacefully minding her own business until you start smacking her with a saw blade for no reason.

This is the case with a lot of the bosses if you think about it. Most minding their own business and then some lunatic comes in swinging away.

We don't know the reason why Rom is his favorite. I read an interview where he said he makes bosses with real people in mind. Could be this or a number of other reasons why Rom is his favorite.

Well, we sort of do. His exact quote is:

Maybe this is cheating a little, but if you ignore gameplay for a moment, it's Rom, the Vacuous Spider. From the design and atmosphere to the kind of plaintive air she has. I really like her. There are some oddly cute aspects to her moves and modeling.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
He said "disregarding gameplay". From a visual design perspective I think Rom is great.

I think the location is great, but Rom it/her..whatever self is pretty droll. Just a big larva shaped thing that wiggles.

I'm not surprised. It's not my favorite (that's Ebrietas) but I like Rom a lot.

Edit: When I finished typing, Rom's music started lol.

Rom..
Did-you-eat-the-kitty-cats-treats-Denver.gif

SkylineRKR

Yep. Rom is Vacuous, so this made perfect sense. Thats why Rom probably can't do that much either. But it was still a difficult fight to many.

I think the location is great, but Rom it/her..whatever self is pretty droll. Just a big larva shaped thing that wiggles.

I feel like Rom is a great example of Miyazaki's philosophy of maintaining an air of elegance even to grotesque monsters. Which is likely part of why he likes her (and also why I do as well).

I wonder what his favourite fight would be from a mechanical standpoint. If I had to guess I'd say
Yarnham
. Seems like the most involved fight although kind of easy

Adaren

I like Rom. It's a crazy different atmosphere than every fight before it and marks a huge turning point in the story. The fights makes you ask "What's going on..." a lot, and I love it when fights do that.

I like Rom. It's a crazy different atmosphere than every fight before it and marks a huge turning point in the story. The fights makes you ask "What's going on..." a lot, and I love it when fights do that.

Yeah, it's the fight that makes the full transition from
the Gothic horror story to the Lovecraftian horror story

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I feel like Rom is a great example of Miyazaki's philosophy of maintaining an air of elegance even to grotesque monsters. Which is likely part of why he likes her (and also why I do as well).

I guess. Can't really argue artistic merit but I'm not a fan.

Nameless

Encountered lot of cowards in Nightmare Frontier PvP last night, people running away to heal everytime they got hit or just back peddling the entire time trying to pull viscerals out their ass. Found some better matches in Mensis.

#standandfight

Encountered lot of cowards in Nightmare Frontier PvP last night, people running away to heal everytime they got hit or just back peddling the entire time trying to pull viscerals out their ass. Found some better matches in Mensis.

#standandfight

Yeah, I hate it when someone invades you, and will retreat to an area filled with enemies every time they get hurt, and constantly try and get you to aggro an enemy. Apparently they don't have much confidence in their abilities.

Toxi

Banned
He isn't significant at all. Just some guy who gives you the blood transfusion.
I'd say that makes him pretty important. The dude brought you to the Hunter's Dream.

But who he is beyond the blood transfusion is a complete mystery.

Nope. He's only credited as "Blood Minister" in the credits.

He isn't significant at all. Just some guy who gives you the blood transfusion.

That's disappointing. :( I was thinking he might kinda be part of a group directly opposing the sects who want to be "granted eyes" or something since he and a few others look like they removed theirs.

Edit: Also just noticed this is the wrong thread. xD Sorry, I meant to post this in the Lore thread, shouldn't have both open at the same time I guess.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
people need 25 vials? If I was gearing for general survivability (from direct damage) I would just slot all 3 HP runes and Radiance. Although 7% physical reduction could be worthwhile, physical is a HUGE portion of damage you take.

I dunno... I just think the math doesn't quite add up.

7% of 10,000 damage, for example, is just 700. That's one blood vial's worth of healing for my character's HP.

What's the strongest attack in the game? Maybe 1,500 damage or so? Still only saving you 105 damage.

It just doesn't seem like 7% physical reduction would do that much for you in the grand scheme of things.

For me, I'm using 10% health increase (need to get a better version), 15% stamina increase, and 30% souls gain from enemies.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'd say that makes him pretty important. The dude brought you to the Hunter's Dream.

But who he is beyond the blood transfusion is a complete mystery.
It's just Yharnam Blood, the guy behind it is Gherman and or the
Moon Presence

Ikon

I'm having such a hard time finding a weapon I like. I've spent quite a bit of time with Saw Cleaver, Hunter Axe, Threaded Cane and Ludwig's. All I'm worried about is being able to take down A
bhorrent
B
east
and the Defiled bosses without too much problem. A
bhorrent
B
east
is what made me reroll, I had just spread my points out too much yet focused on skill, which mostly wasn't my thing, based on the weapons.

My character right now has 40vit/end, 20str and basically nothing else so I feel like I can build in any direction except skill.

silva1991

I like Rom's design and location alot, I just think it's cheap that the small spiders do even more damage that Rom herself (excluding her AOE), they can some time one shot me if they hit me while dodging.

Adachi

Banned
I really wish that starting with NG+ you could store 600 bloodvials like you can with some other items, I have a character in NG+4 or +5 right now and I'm essentially never short on bloodechoes to get bloodvials, so instead of farming I of course just buy them, which I have to do way too often imo.

Unless you're good enough to just never die or never even get hit at this point in the game (which I'm not, lol), you're probably going to use a lot more bloodvials than in an initial playthrough since you essentially have to use one after every hit you take, so if I could just buy a couple hundred at once my life would be way easier. :D

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Lol to the people saying "I never understand why people need to farm vials". Those deeper dungeons can fuck you up!
But they also drop vials and bullets like candy...

I admit I went and bought some when I ran low at the Abhorrent Beast and the Defiled Watchdog, but that's about it. Entered boss room, picked up my bloodstain, reloaded to get outside of the fog (or use hunter's mark but the animation is slow), went to the Dream and spent them on vials, bam done.

I really wish that starting with NG+ you could store 600 bloodvials like you can with some other items, I have a character in NG+4 or +5 right now and I'm essentially never short on bloodechoes to get bloodvials, so instead of farming I of course just buy them, which I have to do way too often imo.

Unless you're good enough to just never die or never even get hit at this point in the game (which I'm not, lol), you're probably going to use a lot more bloodvials than in an initial playthrough since you essentially have to use one after every hit you take, so if I could just buy a couple hundred at once my life would be way easier. :D
NG+ and later give you such a ridiculous number of echoes, it's absolutely trivial to spend some on vials every now and then. And adding the drops I'd often be maxed out without even trying.

So yeah, I really don't get it. I'm not even that good at the game, I often win bosses by attritio0n and pop vials liberally. What are you people doing xD

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I like Rom's design and location alot, I just think it's cheap that the small spiders do even more damage that Rom herself (excluding her AOE), they can some time one shot me if they hit me while dodging.

Isn't that function of the overall game design? I've noticed an almost 40% increase in damage when I hit enemies doing a backdash. That rule probably applies to the player as well. I noticed this behavior in the previous Souls games as well.

Speaking of chalice dungeons, what is your guys VIT for some of the deeper areas? Everything in depth 3 or lower hits like a freaking mack truck.

Ushiwaka

Holy shit getting the materials for chalices is harder than chalice dungeons themselves.

I want 9 Ritual Blood (4) and 4 Coldblood Flowerbuds but there are nowhere to be found.

Help :(

Holy shit getting the materials for chalices is harder than chalice dungeons themselves.

I want 9 Ritual Blood (4) and 4 Coldblood Flowerbuds but there are nowhere to be found.

Help :(

You can buy the Flowerbud from the insight messengers in Hunters Dream, after killing A
mygdala
at N
ightmare Frontier
. Ritual Blood (4) is a bit more difficult, but you can farm it in Layer 2 of Lower Pthumerian Chalice from the 2 Bagmen in the area. They have a 25% chance of dropping it, and with an eye rune they almost always drop it for me.

Gammacide

Any tips for Watchdog in Defiled Chalice? took more than 20 tries and still nothing.
On him right now and best I can say is dodge very well and don't get greedy. I've come so close but then he goes aggro and I can't seem to avoid him. Probably just fear in me when he does that. Need to remain focused throughout. You'll do it, as will I. :)

Kudo

Any tips for Watchdog in Defiled Chalice? took more than 20 tries and still nothing.

Use weapon with long reach, preferably the whip cane, does decent amount of damage and using the whip form really saves you time not having to close the distance as the boss has really fast attack patterns in my opinion.

Ushiwaka

You can buy the Flowerbud from the insight messengers in Hunters Dream, after killing A
mygdala
at N
ightmare Frontier
. Ritual Blood (4) is a bit more difficult, but you can farm it in Layer 2 of Lower Pthumerian Chalice from the 2 Bagmen in the area. They have a 25% chance of dropping it, and with an eye rune they almost always drop it for me.

Thanks. I think I'm gonna end up using the item duplication glitch since I never updated my game. Farming these items is such a chore :/ I don't understand why this mechanic is in the game anyway. it doesn't make any sense.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The craziest room in the Chalice dungeons is that large open room with:

- 8 of those giant bug things with arcane haze flower heads
- 1 keeper bitch
- 2 keeper hunter red-eyed dogs
- Labyrinth Warrior w/giant sword
- bell maiden with her spawn
- kidnapper

All in one room. Fucking hell.

danthefan

Awwwwwwww yis first shortcut in Forbidden Woods unlocked was carrying 60k echoes by the time I got there so that was tense as fuck.

Bought those twin blades with the echoes but not really tried them, killed the executioner in CY, seems they're a lot better when you're behind the enemy?

Also had a go at Paarl. That did not go well.

Top Bottom