• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm going through the game really slowly but I'm enjoying it. I've also made the typical mistake I make every Souls game, which is try to build towards weapons that look interesting and then immediately dropping them because they don't click with me. As a result, my build sucks, I have a bunch of wasted points in STR and Bloodtinge, and I'm back to using the Threaded Cane that I started with (which is really starting to grow on me).

The last boss I took on was Amelia, and it was rough as shit because with all the wasted stat points, I had very little health, and got twoshotted by everything. So I had to play ultra cautiously and she
healed like 5-8 goddamn times
. The whole fight lasted like ten straight minutes, but it felt great when she finally went down.

Apparently I also went and took her on too early in the game too, because now I'm exploring another section nearby and things seem less hectic, and I'm getting enough souls for a level within minutes.

Still kind of tempted to spend those souls on weapons instead of getting some VIT that I so desperately need, though.

myco666

The craziest room in the Chalice dungeons is that large open room with:

- 8 of those giant bug things with arcane haze flower heads
- 1 keeper bitch
- 2 keeper hunter red-eyed dogs
- Labyrinth Warrior w/giant sword
- bell maiden with her spawn
- kidnapper

All in one room. Fucking hell.

I've never killed everything in that room. Tried couple of times and said "fuck it this aint worth my time". Killed just the bell maiden and ran away from that area.

danthefan

Still kind of tempted to spend those souls on weapons instead of getting some VIT that I so desperately need, though.

Did you clear the area off to the left of VAs cathedral (as you look at it)? Is fairly short and once you clear it you can farm about 10k echoes in a couple of minutes.

zma1013

Any tips for Watchdog in Defiled Chalice? took more than 20 tries and still nothing.

U can kite the charge attack from far away and it's easy to dodge then just hit it on the back of the leg once. That will work flawlessly until about half health then it becomes much faster and harder to fight. No idea after that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Damn that stupid blood starved beast, damn that bastard to hell.

I've tried that fight so many times, watched every YouTube video and I still get cheap hitted to death.

I am seriously wondering if I have the patience to play this anymore. I get that it's supposed to be tough, but I am beyond sick of cheap tactics, sick of the camera that can do more harm than good, sick of the finicky lock on, and beyond sick of the parry system not working so often.

AND GODDAMMIT AM I ****ING TIRED OF BEING LOCKED ON AND MY ****ING MOLOTOV COCKTAILS MISS AT CLOSE RANGE.

The biggest challenge for me in this game is that I always seem to struggle to get the BIG hit on enemies. I have been relying on the shortened Saw Cleaver, because in this game when I strike fast I can usually always win the fight against most enemies, but I quite frankly suck at using big slow weapons.

In many of the videos, I see people using the long axe and getting in big hard hits and every time I try to get those, the enemies always seem to hit me first. In the event that I am able to pull off a big hit, I am usually too far away from the enemy and I end up leaving myself vulnerable when I miss.

Another thing that is frustrating about the BS Beast is that in that final third of the battle you he is moving around so ridiculously frantically, and its damn near crazy to switch back and forth between items, because using the blood blood cocktail does make the fight easier, but it becomes a huge risk because if you get hit in that you have to quickly switch to the antidote.

I swear that the antidote animation for me is 10X slower than the one in videos. EVERY time I use the antidote I end up vulnerable to attack. Its just so hard to put enough distance between you and the beast to get healed and minimize the damage.

Ferr986

Anyone around lvl 80 for help with the layer 2 boss at Pthumeru Ihyll?

Fucker was easy with my 120 build but I can't with this one lol

Has anyone beaten A
mygdala
in story mode using the Blades of Mercy. Really struggling here. Trying to get hits in on the arms or head is really difficult due to the short range.

I was hoping to finish this NG+ run using just the Blades of Mercy as my primary.

Toxi

Banned

- 1 keeper bitch
- kidnapper

That room is a complete nightmare. Blue Elixer is practically mandatory if you want to actually kill the foes.

danthefan

I've tried that fight so many times, watched every YouTube video and I still get cheap hitted to death.

I am seriously wondering if I have the patience to play this anymore. I get that it's supposed to be tough, but I am beyond sick of cheap tactics, sick of the camera that can do more harm than good, sick of the finicky lock on, and beyond sick of the parry system not working so often.

AND GODDAMMIT AM I ****ING TIRED OF BEING LOCKED ON AND MY ****ING MOLOTOV COCKTAILS MISS AT CLOSE RANGE.

The biggest challenge for me in this game is that I always seem to struggle to get the BIG hit on enemies. I have been relying on the shortened Saw Cleaver, because in this game when I strike fast I can usually always win the fight against most enemies, but I quite frankly suck at using big slow weapons.

In many of the videos, I see people using the long axe and getting in big hard hits and every time I try to get those, the enemies always seem to hit me first. In the event that I am able to pull off a big hit, I am usually too far away from the enemy and I end up leaving myself vulnerable when I miss.

Another thing that is frustrating about the BS Beast is that in that final third of the battle you he is moving around so ridiculously frantically, and its damn near crazy to switch back and forth between items, because using the blood blood cocktail does make the fight easier, but it becomes a huge risk because if you get hit in that you have to quickly switch to the antidote.

I swear that the antidote animation for me is 10X slower than the one in videos. EVERY time I use the antidote I end up vulnerable to attack. Its just so hard to put enough distance between you and the beast to get healed and minimize the damage.

Ok so I had the same problem with the item switching so what I simply did was just not switch items. I went in with antidote in my item slot and left it at that.

Firstly, I'm sure you've noticed this but his attacks are all predictable. The way I killed him was just dodge round to the side, him him a few times, back away. If the enemy is hitting you first then you're probably timing your attacks wrong, let him swing at you, dodge it, and then hit him.

When you need to heal or use an antidote, just run away and hide behind a pillar. I'm surprised you're having a problem with that aspect.

All three phases are quite similar. He has some more wild attacks in phase three and he's a bit faster but fundamentally the fight is the same imo. Have to say I used the extended axe for this fight, the range was really useful.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Did you clear the area off to the left of VAs cathedral (as you look at it)? Is fairly short and once you clear it you can farm about 10k echoes in a couple of minutes.
I'm exploring that area now. It's pretty neat, and I like the chance of scenery from the Yarnham city look. Unlocked two shortcuts in that direction, so I suspect a boss soon.

benjammin

Stay close and circle strafe clockwise around it. Dodge forwards when it starts it's attack animation and you'll end up behind it able to get 2 or 3 hits in with the cleaver. Repeat this throughout the entire fight. You can also do the same thing from slightly further out and parry its slashes. Keep an antidote on hand in case you get poisoned. If you need to heal then wait until you're a safe distance away, or until you've dodged behind one of its attacks.

Or just summon Alfred or an online partner outside. The fight is much easier when the boss is only paying attention to you half the time.

danthefan

I'm exploring that area now. It's pretty neat, and I like the chance of scenery from the Yarnham city look. Unlocked two shortcuts in that direction, so I suspect a boss soon.

Enemy spoiler I guess:

Once you clear the boss a lantern appears in the boss room, warp to there, kill the three witches and three executioners and you get a good number of souls. The executioners are really easy to parry. If you want to kill all the dogs then do so too, they've a small chance of dropping a Twin Shard.

knitoe

Easy fight. Key is to dodge toward it. It will fly pass you and putting you behind for easy hits. Repeat until it's dead.

Gehrman
and his 3rd phase are almost controller smashingly annoying, fucker one shots me like there's no tomorrow. He's the only thing I've fought so far that has felt blatantly cheap as fuck lol

Edit: Beat the pile of shit lol

cakely

- 1 keeper bitch
- kidnapper

I co-oped that room with a friend (twice) and the frame rate dropped into single digits, no joke.
We had to prioritize killing the pairs of millipedes just to get the the frame rate back to playable levels.

Has anyone beaten A
mygdala
in story mode using the Blades of Mercy. Really struggling here. Trying to get hits in on the arms or head is really difficult due to the short range.

I was hoping to finish this NG+ run using just the Blades of Mercy as my primary.

I did. I just never used the regular R1 attack. I continually used the running R2 attack on the head until i could get a visceral, then once she
rips her arms off
stay behind her and spam the R2 attack until dead. Basically, in the beggining of the fight use the same strategy that you probably used with R
om

Skii

BSB is one of the hardest bosses in the game. It was the hardest for me as I died the most to it. Once you've beaten it, the whole game will start to click so don't give up. It's one of those things.

Don't use charged attacks. You're not good enough unfortunately and you don't have a weapon that has an insane hit box like the Axe. Just stick to one or two hits before retreating.

You don't need to parry him. He is fairly difficult to parry as well except for one swipe so I'd advise against it.

Just predict his moves and stay close after his combos to get one or two hits in before retreating. It's all about patience. It's a learning curve for sure.

- 1 keeper bitch
- kidnapper

Yeah, that room is a bitch. But Bone Marrow Ash + headshots on the
centipedes
usually kills them in 1 or 2 shots.

Stike

Okay, guys, this is how I improved my Bloodborne experience:

I used the accessibility feature to remap a few buttons, like this:

1. Switching L1 and Circle.
Now you can roll around and keep your thumb on the camera all the time. Forget lock-on, this shit is fucking magic!

2. Map item switch (DPad down) to L3 and item use (Square) to R3.
Now you can flick through your items while running and turning the camera! Use the item with the other stick button, and if you need to lock on, you can still press Square for once.

It may happen that you inadvertantly switch the items during the game, but you get used to that.

The game feels so much better with those controls! (IMHO)

Dynedom

Just ran into a hilarious (and what I can only assume happens in Co-Op) glitch while fighting
Rom

Before unloading on him/her for the first time, my buddy and I
are taking care of all the spiders around the place. When we're done, spiders randomly start appearing around the map. They don't attack you and you can kill them (and get blood echoes). So my friend and I keep killing em because we don't wanna take chances.

Then we go after
Rom and it teleports. It returns with ONE SPIDER. We bash it down, it teles again and this time NO SPIDERS. We couldn't believe it. Ended him real quick.

I figure that the game glitched into
spawning his spiders way early and we killed them, effectively removing them from the battle after.

Not how we wanted it to go down but we'll take it I guess...

And yes, I had no idea about this and didn't intentionally trigger it, in case people are wondering. I'm sure this has been documented before (I have a Youtube clip of it uploading at the moment).

Boof

Just ran into a hilarious (and what I can only assume happens in Co-Op) glitch while fighting
Rom

Before unloading on him/her for the first time, my buddy and I
are taking care of all the spiders around the place. When we're done, spiders randomly start appearing around the map. They don't attack you and you can kill them (and get blood echoes). So my friend and I keep killing em because we don't wanna take chances.

Then we go after
Rom and it teleports. It returns with ONE SPIDER. We bash it down, it teles again and this time NO SPIDERS. We couldn't believe it. Ended him real quick.

I figure that the game glitched into
spawning his spiders way early and we killed them, effectively removing them from the battle after.

Not how we wanted it to go down but we'll take it I guess...

And yes, I had no idea about this and didn't intentionally trigger it, in case people are wondering. I'm sure this has been documented before (I have a Youtube clip of it uploading at the moment).

I have encountered this every time I co-op for
ROM
I always kill all the spiders right away
... makes the fight completely trivial.

NateGrigs

I also struggled with him and agree with what others have said....Make sure to equip your most poison resistant gear. Use fire paper if you have any (but remember that you lose them if you die)
I would avoid using molotovs cause hes fast (they are likely to miss) and its a pain to switch over to antidotes.
Try to get a pillar between you and him before using antidotes as they do take a frustratingly long time to use. You can heal in the open if you can anticipate and parry an his attacks.

Has anyone beaten A
mygdala

I just stayed behind her. When she jumps, don't move, then get back into position when she lands. She will do a stomp attack often so don't get too close to her legs and move or dodge away as needed. You do less damage than facing her head on, but it's safe and it's easy to do without ever taking any damage. If you are feeling brave, pop a beast pellet to make up some of the damage difference. The fight will be over in no time.

Yshi

Neo Member

You can ring the bell near the end of the stairs before entering the boss room, you'll summon that NPC hunter that you met at the church.

Most of the time BSB targets him, and leaves you time to hit it,also that hunter have alot of health so 90% of the time he wont die.

neoism

Another chance? How could you ever give up on it in the first place?

It was ahead of me lol I just didn't get it but with 250 hours of ds2 and 70 of DS/BB under my belt I have more of a grasp on how to play it. The first time I tried it just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere it didn't click at all... I'm older and wiser soo I have a feeling it will click this time
Lolol

Acosta

Hey guys,

this is the first "Souls" I have put a serious effort. So I'm going to tell a story that you are probably familiar with:

You know that feeling of absolutely hating, HATING with passion a boss, frustrating yourself, try it dozens of times, thinking that is just impossible, having your tiny hopes of advancements obliterated at the next try. That feeling of being angry but at the same time loving it and looking for the next try?

Well, that was me with that bastard
(Martyr Logarius)
I am trying to play solo (have 45 Insight right now) and with no hints, but I wanted to know where was the katana, so I checked. I doubt I could have found the place in the first place, so glad I did.

I was not this frustrated with a videogame in a long, long time (and that adding that the games tears your souls, it´s hard for me to advance against such a dreadful scenario and horrible monsters).

But you know what? I fucking did it, and I couldn't believe it. That feeling of joy after so many hours, I guess that is one of the highlights of the game. Certainly the most difficult encounter so far for me. (I don't know how some of you guys go again for this in extra difficulty modes, you are amazing).

Anyway, nothing special I am sure of it, but I wanted to share it.

Love the weapon, but as I had nothing planned (didn't even know the katana used blood as main stat) I just have enough bloodthinge to use it but not to get the most of it. I wish the game gave an option to restat. Not sure what I will try.

Either you can't or the window is so small that it isn't worth it. Never seen anyone done it and yes it looks really good.

Great thanks

Hey guys,

this is the first "Souls" I have put a serious effort. So I'm going to tell a story that you are probably familiar with:

You know that feeling of absolutely hating, HATING with passion a boss, frustrating yourself, try it dozens of times, thinking that is just impossible, having your tiny hopes of advancements obliterated at the next try. That feeling of being angry but at the same time loving it and looking for the next try?

Well, that was me with that bastard
(Martyr Logarius)
I am trying to play solo (have 45 Insight right now) and with no hints, but I wanted to know where was the katana, so I checked. I doubt I could have found the place in the first place, so glad I did.

I was not this frustrated with a videogame in a long, long time (and that adding that the games tears your souls, it´s hard for me to advance against such a dreadful scenario and horrible monsters).

But you know what? I fucking did it, and I couldn't believe it. That feeling of joy after so many hours, I guess that is one of the highlights of the game. Certainly the most difficult encounter so far for me. (I don't know how some of you guys go again for this in extra difficulty modes, you are amazing).

Anyway, nothing special I am sure of it, but I wanted to share it.

Love the weapon, but as I had nothing planned (didn't even know the katana used blood as main stat) I just have enough bloodthinge to use it but not to get the most of it. I wish the game gave an option to restat. Not sure what I will try.

Great story man. Its one all of us know too well :)

I never met Eileen and have now beaten Rom. From what I understand she should be at the Grand Cathedral now but will be hostile. I've tried going there twice now (both spawning at the lamp and running there from Cathedral Ward) but I'm not seeing her anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what I might be missing?

myco666

I never met Eileen and have now beaten Rom. From what I understand she should be at the Grand Cathedral now but will be hostile. I've tried going there twice now (both spawning at the lamp and running there from Cathedral Ward) but I'm not seeing her anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what I might be missing?

If you never went to talk to her before Rom she doesn't appear anymore. I missed her totally on my first playthrough and never could find her after Rom.

MidEvlDed

The runs from a lantern to the bosses in this game seem shorter than in demon/dark souls. Once you unlock the shortcuts, of course, it's usually pretty simple and risk free to get back to a boss. The longest run to a boss that I can think of is
Martyr Logarius or maybe Shadow of Yarnham because of the 2 shortcuts you have to take
. It just seems like they made it a lot more player friendly this time around. You don't have to run through an entire area from beginning to end.

Duders.

After buying a PS4 for this game, playing it for 2 weeks and then getting too frustrated with it to continue... I finally manned up and fired up the PS4 last night.

Before last night, I couldnt beat BSB. I started getting stressed out over it and thus quit. I was also stuck on the Witches, but I hadnt really given them many tries.

Last night - I beat the Witches in 2 tries. Then.. on my FIRST attempt at BSB, I beat the shit out of him. I cant even explain how hype I got after beating him. He was basically what kept me from continuing on in this game (that and having to farm blood vials).

Anyways, im on to amelia now.. and yet again.. Im out of vials. Im looking at places to easily farm them. This is still my biggest gripe about the game so far, but after overcoming my biggest hurdles, I dont mind spending 10-15 minutes farming for more.

Anyone know where I can maximize my vial collection considering where I am currently? (I assume im still pretty early in the game).

I posted in the same page as you imo the best farming spot for vials, lemme repost for you, I like it better than Central Yharnman due to super close proximity and you gain a ton of Blood echoes to also go back and buy lots.

yes it indeed sucks but an optional area for good vial farming if you did not know is
The big axe guys right before the Witch of Henwick fight
they give 3-4 Blood Vials each, then use Bold Hunters masks for more efficiency.

Gurrry

First dont listen to anyone who tells you to summon help. Thats not how these games should be played.

Second, I was there with you man. As a souls vet, this boss had me ready to sell the PS4. But dont give up. My suggestion would be to go try and fight a different boss, or go explore. Come back later when youve leveled up a bit more.

Also, if you want to know how I did it..
I would parry him with my gun, then do the chest stab for mega damage. I was getting like 459 dmg per stab this way. I also never used antidote. If youre about to be poisoned, just walk around until that bar dissipates and go at him again. Also - once he is in that third half of battle, just know that he is going to try that cheap as fuck jump and suck attack. With that in mind, just stay away and try and bait him into other attacks.

Regardless, I feel your pain bro.

MidEvlDed

Anyways, im on to amelia now.. and yet again.. Im out of vials. Im looking at places to easily farm them. This is still my biggest gripe about the game so far, but after overcoming my biggest hurdles, I dont mind spending 10-15 minutes farming for more.

Anyone know where I can maximize my vial collection considering where I am currently? (I assume im still pretty early in the game).

Early on, my favorite blood vial farming spot is at the central yarnham lamp. Go down the stairs, kill the villager, down the stairs to kill the 2 ogre guys, elevator down to the bridge, villager bowling, then cross the bridge and kill the last ogre guy and villager at the top of the stairs, down the ladder to kill the boar in the sewer. This should net you close to 10 vials or more in 5 minutes. Then use hunters mark (not bold hunter's mark) to lose your blood echoes and easily warp back to the lantern, and repeat. If you don't have a weapon that hits hard enough then skip the last part with the boar and run back to the lantern if the echoes are still significant to you.

Early on, my favorite blood vial farming spot is at the central yarnham lamp. Go down the stairs, kill the villager, down the stairs to kill the 2 ogre guys, elevator down to the bridge, villager bowling, then cross the bridge and kill the last ogre guy and villager at the top of the stairs, down the ladder to kill the boar in the sewer. This should net you close to 10 vials or more in 5 minutes. Then use hunters mark (not bold hunter's mark) to lose your blood echoes and easily warp back to the lantern, and repeat. If you don't have a weapon that hits hard enough then skip the last part with the boar and run back to the lantern if the echoes are still significant to you.

Don't forget the 2 werewolves on the bridge. They drop 3 vials each.

Top Bottom