• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

sooo whats the difference of waning and triangle gems?

I see that both can have +2X phy atk gems sooo whats the difference between uncanny and normal weapons?

Toxi

Banned
So, i beat BSB the other day, and since, everything has been pretty smooth (killed every boss so far in the first or second try, Hunters, too) and i just beat R
om the annoying spider

However, i directed this
blind guy
at Oedon church when i was in
the woods
and... well
he looked pretty sketchy, and i noticed just after i sent him there, that he was actually dwelling on some dead bodies.
I feared he would be the (Dark Souls 1 spoiler)
Lautrec
of this game, so i decided to kill him...
WHAT THE SHIT?! That's the scariest fucking thing so far in the game, he was a fucking fury, and that voice, it scared the shit out of me.
In the end i cheesed him from inside the chapel with poison knives, lol.
Felt bad, too, as he seemed pretty tragic from the dialogue, as he was dying.

It's like a random Flame Lurker out of nowhere,
definitely the worst (best) moment so far.
That moment is such a hilarious surprise.
You see the weak-looking beggar and suspect he's up to no good, so you attack him... And then he goes Super Saiyan and kicks your ass.

Rudimentary question, Gaf: as a blanket rule, do mid-combo transformation attacks do more damage than regular R1s?

Not sure about the damage, but they tend to do more poise damage (interrupt an enemy's animation/make the enemy stagger a bit, but not the stagger for a visceral) than a normal R1 attack.

Hypron

Rudimentary question, Gaf: as a blanket rule, do mid-combo transformation attacks do more damage than regular R1s?

It depends on the weapon. They do tend to do more damage but sometimes they take too long so simply spamming R1s results in a higher DPS.

UrbanRats

You see the weak-looking beggar and suspect he's up to no good, so you attack him... And then he goes Super Saiyan and kicks your ass.

Yeah, and
he was the toughest thing i fought, no contest (why i don't feel too bad about cheesing him, i wasn't prepared and i panicked! :p).
Couldn't parry him for shit, too.

I attacked him by mistake and he kicked my ass so fast. And I died about 10 times until I finally got wise, just stood in the hallway and Flamesprayed him to death.

BTW: I finally got the pun in the thread title
(just to be sure, it's about patches the spider, isn't it?)
, only took me about a week. For some reason I feel like this game slaughtered my intelligence.

Toxi

Banned
I can't beat
Watchdog of the old lords
In the defiled chalice. Any tips? I'd rather not ring the bell.
My strategy was
to stand at a distance to bait the head swipe, wait for him to finish the head swipe (So wait until you see him bringing his head back to the normal position; this is important, as otherwise he'll hit you with a follow-up), attack the head with a longer range move like a jumping attack, then back away as he does a head swipe again and continue the pattern. At first you won't do much damage, but eventually you'll break the head and start doing massive damage every time you hit it.

I can't beat

How much vitality do you have? I was able to do it with around 30/32 Vitality (I forget the number) and a 5% and 10% health rune, for a total of 811 health. That let me survive a charge attack. Wearing the Bone Ash Set helped a lot with fire resistances. Other than that, you're just going to have to get good at reading the animations and know when the charge will come out, getting the timing right for dodges, etc. It might take a while, but it is definitely doable! If you play for 30-40 minutes and find you're not making progress, just stop playing and try again the next day. Seriously, taking a break helps out a lot with difficult bosses.

Zocano

I can't beat

Stay in front, bait the bite swipes and punish afterwards. You'll have to learn the phase shifts cause it will add on an extra attack after a certain amount of HP.

I find it best to dash forward past its head when it attacks from *your* right. That way you're next to it and it will probably do a bite attack that will give you more time to wack its side. Back out after a few swings and repeat for the rest of the time.

Toxi

Banned
Is this a side story? I just killed Ebreitas and trying to figure out what to do next?
The Upper Cathedral Ward section is a side area, as is the area with the NPC you can revive. The next main story path is through the Unseen Village.

Xeilyn

Man the chalice dungeons are so boring! I was planning on doing them with all my characters for the gems but now i think ill only do them with my arcane character for the plat. Its pretty obvious that Miyazaki had nothing to do with them, so uninspired..

Anyways, beat B
loodletting
B
east
on my first try and got the difiled chalice... Wish me luck

On Demand

Banned
The Upper Cathedral Ward section is a side area, as is the area with the NPC you can revive. The next main story path is through the Unseen Village.

I went through there before I fought her. Is she not a main boss? So I have to go back to the Unseen Village now?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am now 34/25/30/13/7/9 in stat and it feels like I need to let go of my Axe and perhaps move on to something new..... but the problem is I dearly love my Axe and I just don't want to be separated from it...

Sigh.....

Any recommendations?

Cess007

Finally beat Eb
rietas
. To whoever helped me to beat her, it has my eternal thanks. She was driving me crazy. Now i moved into Ca
inhurst Castle, and it seems that Martyr Longarius will be another long, long series of encounters until i beat him. His magic attacks are something else.

Just different gem slots. Same base damage.

yeah i know, but do the different gems style matter

I am now 34/25/30/13/7/9 in stat and it feels like I need to let go of my Axe and perhaps move on to something new..... but the problem is I dearly love my Axe and I just don't want to be separated from it...

Sigh.....

Any recommendations?

great sword/cleaver

It seems like skill builds get more possible variety

you get
1) cane
2) blade of mercy
3) burial blades
4) ludwigs
5) chikage
6) rifle spear
7) reaepajpwehawhwahopwh
8) saw spear

strength gets mainly
1) axe
2) kirk hammer
3) ludwig
4) saw cleaver
5) wheel
6) stake driver
and I think thats it....

edit
forgot beast claw but don't remember the stats

imo.
BoM, Burial Blades, Ludwig, Chikage, and Axe (minus bugged rifle spear) are all on a different level.
BoM has super high dps and stun on normal mobs
Burial blades has a great hitbox and crowd control while doing solid damage (but you can't buff it with fire/bolt)
ludwig is just raw damage per hit, good stun and versatility in terms of what builds can use it
Chikage for good speed, good damage, and the ability to knock down spider/dogs in a single hit (guns can do that as well though).
Axe for AOE crowd control.

Rifle spear is just bugged and really stupid.

Xeilyn

Sigh.....

Any recommendations?
I think all weapons are viable so if you really love the Axe then it will definitely carry you through the game. But its no harm in just trying out weapons like the Wheel or the Stake driver(My two favorite weapons). Just upgrade em to +6 and try them for a bit.. And you should get the Cannon if you dont have it already

On Demand

Banned
Yes. There's a boss in that area.

Weird. I explored that whole section and never ran into any boss. It lead me to the cathedral ward from that key I found I think. I don't even remember now.

And I hardly see any NPC's throughout my play through. Was going to the upper cathedral ward a waste of time? I mostly just try to focus on the main story.

just beat
gehrman
first try, but damn that was a battle. i started out good but lost my metal on the second phase (lots of charge attack whiffing) and everything dwindled down to where i had no quicksilver and only 1 blood vile left and i pulled it out in the end. but of course then i had
moon presence
come out and was in no shape to even try so i made contact and reeks of falling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAc6vsfdgjI

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

great sword/cleaver

you get
1) cane
2) blade of mercy
3) burial blades
4) ludwigs
5) chikage
6) rifle spear
7) reaepajpwehawhwahopwh
8) saw spear

strength gets mainly
1) axe
2) kirk hammer
3) ludwig
4) saw cleaver
5) wheel
6) stake driver
and I think thats it....

edit

imo.
BoM, Burial Blades, Ludwig, Chikage, and Axe (minus bugged rifle spear) are all on a different level.
Burial blades has a great hitbox and crowd control while doing solid damage (but you can't buff it with fire/bolt)
ludwig is just raw damage per hit, good stun and versatility in terms of what builds can use it
Chikage for good speed, good damage, and the ability to knock down spider/dogs in a single hit (guns can do that as well though).

I think all weapons are viable so if you really love the Axe then it will definitely carry you through the game. But its no harm in just trying out weapons like the Wheel or the Stake driver(My two favorite weapons). Just upgrade em to +6 and try them for a bit.. And you should get the Cannon if you dont have it already

My Axe is now at 7 with Tonitrus and Cannon at 6. Hmmmmh.

What's the best method to farm chunks?

My Axe is now at 7 with Tonitrus and Cannon at 6. Hmmmmh.

What's the best method to farm chunks?

from my experience? unseen village, though Upper Cath Ward gets a lot of mention.

Don't both with cainhurst. I don't like upper cath because fuck squid face stunning you. fuck those guys hard.

edit
fuck i forgot about tonitrus, don't have arcane at all despite being level 257+ or something. lol

Juraash

Been moving through my NG+ play through at a pretty good clip. I've been playing it mostly like ng, so I've done all the optional bosses despite not really needing to.

Tonight really solidified my love of the Saw Spear though. It didn't really click with me how many late game bosses are really vulnerable to thrust damage and the spear's R2 is just that. That+applicable paper absolutely shredded the bosses accessed via upper ward.

This game is really solidifying itself ad one of my favorites and at least tied for my top in the souls games.

joecanada

great sword/cleaver

you get
1) cane
2) blade of mercy
3) burial blades
4) ludwigs
5) chikage
6) rifle spear
7) reaepajpwehawhwahopwh
8) saw spear

strength gets mainly
1) axe
2) kirk hammer
3) ludwig
4) saw cleaver
5) wheel
6) stake driver
and I think thats it....

edit

imo.

Rifle spear is fine not everyone is mining gems just because they have it

Finally beat Eb
rietas
. To whoever helped me to beat her, it has my eternal thanks. She was driving me crazy. Now i moved into Ca
inhurst Castle, and it seems that Martyr Longarius will be another long, long series of encounters until i beat him. His magic attacks are something else.

He is actually pretty easy once you get through stage 1. After that he abandons his magic attacks and his Scythe attacks are pretty easy to interrupt. And the rest you just dodge.

cslesce

I'm high level, 80+ but i'm struggling in Mensis...
MESOLAH
killed me on 1st try.

I think I overreacted with strenght upgrading to over 30, should upgraded skill?

Tips?

Wanna make new character again - 3rd time and build arcane for evelyn?

i don't find axe+9 a good weapon enough for me....how is saw cleaver or cane?

Is that addon for gun so good? bone marrow ash?

This game has moments of extreme brilliance. That beggar, the ghost hand that picks you up in Cathedral ward (and its later revelation of what it is.) And my favorite
all the dialogue during the Micolash Cage Fight
Wow that voice actor was killing it.

myco666

If you needed and were expecting help with that boss I can understand the frustration. But honestly, I get annoyed when the host *doesn't* take his or her safety as the highest priority. If you weren't struggling with Rom, the host did the right thing by playing it safe. There's nothing more aggravating than having a host die because they got more deeply involved in a battle than necessary.

Yes host should always try to stay alive but not engaging the boss is still not what you should do. This is equivalent to host staying at the lamp and helped killing every enemy in the area. That IMO isn't what summoning help is about.

Insaniac

Tips for using Blades of Mercy? I just don't find it nearly as good as Ludwig's blade, doesn't hitstun enemies and doesn't deal enough damage

Toxi

Banned
Tips for using Blades of Mercy? I just don't find it nearly as good as Ludwig's blade, doesn't hitstun enemies and doesn't deal enough damage
Blade of Mercy when dual-wielding should have great DPS if you have high Skill. Is it gemmed up properly? What are your Strength and Skill stats?

Hm what? Optional area? I wasted hours to get through lol. Well thanks anyway

There are lots of optional areas and bosses. The game only has 7 (kinda 8) required bosses. there are more than double that available in the game. (Where have you been so far? that will help us tell you where to go next.)

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Hey Nick!
I only have the Japanese physical release but doing research, it seems the US PSN version has the exact same tracks.
The Japanese physical version isn't that expensive anyway and it's nice to have it :)

Hey! True, true. Does the booklet have anything interesting? Interviews or anything? Thx!!

Top Bottom