• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Something that hits hard with good range. Ludwig's Holy Sword, Hunter Axe, you get the picture.

That choir at the end is incredible.

HAHA Ebrietas theme is a spilbergian uplifting tune of the cosmos when you are essentially fighting a giant space abortion

Phreak47

Something that hits hard with good range. Ludwig's Holy Sword, Hunter Axe, you get the picture.

That choir at the end is incredible.

Too bad the game loops a smaller section of the track in-game, but yeah I think everyone agrees this is the most memorable piece of music in all the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
When are poison knives available for purchase? I'm on my way to the Cathedral Ward(already spoke to Eileen.

You need Cosmic Eye Watcher Badge, which you can only access in Upper Cathedral, which you can only access by finding Upper Cathedral Key in Yahargul Unseen Village proper-story-progression version which you can only access after defeating the boss in Byrgenwyth.

So, kinda end game.

Stat!

How do you deal with sometimes making no actual progress lol in a couple hours of play?

Just got to Old Yharnam (I couldn't get past anything in Cathedral Ward without a hunter's badge). Took me forever to get to the guy with the giant machine gun and died pretty quickly. I take it thats not the way to go but I've lost 13k blood echos (cant find them either) and I must be missing a shortcut to get back there quickly. Sigh :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How do you deal with sometimes making no actual progress lol in a couple hours of play?

Just got to Old Yharnam (I couldn't get past anything in Cathedral Ward without a hunter's badge). Took me forever to get to the guy with the giant machine gun and died pretty quickly. I take it thats not the way to go but I've lost 13k blood echos (cant find them either) and I must be missing a shortcut to get back there quickly. Sigh :(

There's actually a very fast method to get to him. Once you get to the spot where he said stuff like "You're a skilled hunter" yada yada yada, you're going right down the stairs and then you stand behind broken wall, right? If you continue on you find that large hooded enemy with Antidote nearby, but don't go there. Instead, just jump/roll to the right on the opening on the walls (there's a ladder there but you won't have time using it with him shooting at you) and make a mad dash towards the stairs that lead to him, ignoring the mad hunter. It is much faster.

And protip, make a fast dash towards him as soon as you finish climbing the stairs (don't forget to fast climb) and quickly slash him multiple times to force him to fall. Axe long form is *fabulous* for this.

psylah

I have been co-op-ing some chalice dungeons, and whenever I go in I have a MINISCULE amount of health, I get 1-shot.

Is it supposed to be like this?

Edit: Just went into a dungeon where the first mob we encountered was one of the quick ladies and she one-shot us both in the same swing. Is my health based on the hosts' health?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Best boss battle theme in the game? Is there supposed to be any debate over this?

Horror fine
Pere iter
Soci pere
Sanguine sancta

Rete sanguine male
Prae ista honus
Sanguine sancte, praetor

fkwK0r.jpg

You are all wrong. Bow down.

As far as boss themes go, Ebrietas > Gascoigne > Micolash

I'm really hoping From expands on the stage music in future Souls game. Having those creepy bars added in the background so much to Upper Cathedral Ward and Unseen Village.

Korosenai

To everyone playing PvP, ng+ or higher, and chalice dungeons... what level are you guys at? I stopped at 120 but I'm thinking of going up to 150 or 160.

Yassss, finally got the Hunter set :D :D :D
Also got the Kirkhammer(+1), Saw Blade(+1), and Saw Spear. I feel like I can kick some ass now. :) Parrying and doing a visceral attack is so damn satisfying. Done for tonight, then off to fight Father G later tomorrow or something.

This is the farthest I've been(and most fun I've had) in the two Souls games I've played (DeS/DrkS1).

Tiktaalik

Just started old yarnham and I seem to have come to a dead end.. I got past a massive room and back out into the open, climbed a stairway and revealed a shortcut, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go...

All the messages around here are cryptic and unhelpful. :(

EDIT: Oh wait there's a door way right before the shortcut.. I missed that!

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
question, i have an icon on my screen, its orange and shows a hand and there is an up arrow. What does this mean?

psylah

question, i have an icon on my screen, its orange and shows a hand and there is an up arrow. What does this mean?

Check the blood gems you have in your equipped weapon. One of them might have an active buff that works when you kill an enemy or something.

You are all wrong. Bow down.

As far as boss themes go, Ebrietas > Gascoigne > Micolash

I'm really hoping From expands on the stage music in future Souls game. Having those creepy bars added in the background so much to Upper Cathedral Ward and Unseen Village.
This is insanity. The One Reborn's track is sublime as well as the Darkbeast track.
To everyone playing PvP, ng+ or higher, and chalice dungeons... what level are you guys at? I stopped at 120 but I'm thinking of going up to 150 or 160.
I'm staying at 160 and I've been in PvP and coop all night. In fact I just helped someone achieve the plat by cooping the Ihyll dungeon. BLB got slaughtered.
You're right. Amygdala has a very good soundtrack. And as I said before, One reborn is just fantastic.
You're right, there isn't any debate:

The First Hunter.
This though, is simply amazing. Truly glorious track. I scoff at anyone who would dare say this game doesn't have a good soundtrack. From knocked it out of the park. I find nearly every track to be great to amazing.

After BB, I hope From kicks Sakuraba to the curb.

Any random Bloodborne track destroys anything he's produced for the series. Just so imposing yet so very lush and delicate at the same time.

The whole soundtrack is just otherworldly, and a huge leap for Souls. I won't accept blaring, generic choirs and repetitive timpani from this series anymore.

Man, why are people openly posting spoilers in this thread?
The game's been out for over a month.

Any random Bloodborne track destroys anything he's produced for the series. Just so imposing yet so very lush and delicate at the same time.

The whole soundtrack is just otherworldly, and a huge leap for Souls. I won't accept blaring, generic choirs and repetitive timpani from this series anymore.
To be fair, there were three composers this time around, but yes, a new bar has been set. I was disappointed with vanilla Dark souls 2 music but Bloodborne picked up the slack and then some.

Kudo

I think "Darkbeast" is really powerful boss battle track, my favourite. Really love when the violin kicks in.

Putty

The weapons you haven't gotten are mostly stuff that you have to do specific NPC quests to get, and then you'll be able to buy the second last boss' weapon in NG+

Cheers fella. I didn't do a lot of NPC Interactions and I'm not doing a NG+ so I think I'm ready for the end now. Terrific experience. It's amazing how how low you feel at the beginning, but as you feel your way into it, that changes, and continues to change....Huelgy rewarding. A big highlight of the new gen without a doubt!

Went from 100 to 120 to max out my Bloodtinge but kinda regretted it. I had the most fun and the most traffic at 100. One of the reasons I am making a new build now. I think the meta might actually settle below 100. edit: also did the dungeons at that level. You can do them at much lower levels actually.

Also people asking for good weapons against the tough Defiled bosses... Threaded Cane is the best. Burial Balde rocks as well.

Superflat

It's really a shame that most of my boss fights take like 2-3 minutes, whether I kill them or the other way around. It's only when I listen to these songs isolated that I really appreciate them.

Ebrietas, Amygdala, First Hunter, and the tracks of the first 3-4 bosses or so stood out the most to me while I was actually playing. Another track that I really came to like recently is the one used for Chalice bosses. It's a mix of God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. Really damn good.

I-hate-u

I think "Darkbeast" is really powerful boss battle track, my favourite. Really love when the violin kicks in.

Really good track as well. Paarl is an interesting fight. There is a strange somber feeling when he looses his electricity. In a way, he reminds me of Sif.

Toxi

Banned
It's even better with the boss's "ARHGHBLBLGHBL HEEEEE" every time he uses one of his spells haha
I love that sound.

I feel like the sound quality itself is massively improved. Compare the choir in the
Ebrietas
theme to any random choir track from Dark Souls 1 and 2 and it's like night and day.

I also love the use of environmental music in a few specific areas. In most games, environmental music is normal, and silence is used to highlight tense moments of unease. In Bloodborne, silence becomes natural and peaceful as a contrast to the frenetic boss fights, so the moment you start hearing music creeping in with no sign of a boss... It feels really sinister.

Toxi

Banned
Wow the
Pthumerian Descendant
in the final chalice dungeon is some bullshit.
Agreed. Most obnoxious boss in the game, with absurdly fast attacks, a cramped arena full of pillars that block your vision and movement, projectiles that ignore said terrain because fuck you, and a second bullshit phase where dodging becomes a complete crapshoot.

Superflat

Stuck on rom. Anyone help me out?

Attack in very deliberate waves. Look for an opportune time and place where the tiny spiders thin out, run right at Rom and hack away at its body 3-4 times and then roll away. The attack where meteors come from the ground has a pretty obvious animation so just get out of its AoE.

A lot of people reportedly have trouble with the meteors that come from the sky but I've pretty much never gotten hit by them. May be dumb luck (Including the Chalice Rom I beat it twice solo, and multiple times co-op with other players) but as long as I'm not letting off the run button, they always hit right behind me. I noticed that when I'm RIGHT next to ROM, the meteors also miss/don't hurt me. Rom's been the most benign boss in the game for me. It's the small dive bombing spiders that you really have to mind, which is remedied by never staying in one place for more than a few seconds.

Toxi

Banned
What does the beast pellets actually do? Do I get more attack or something?
As you build up the beast meter by hitting foes, your attacks deal more damage. Strong attacks or attacks that hit multiple foes tend to raise the meter a lot.

It might not seem like much with how hard it is to build up the meter significantly, but it can be useful.

Trashbat

Attack in very deliberate waves. Look for an opportune time and place where the tiny spiders thin out, run right at Rom and hack away at its body 3-4 times and then roll away. The attack where meteors come from the ground has a pretty obvious animation so just get out of its AoE.

A lot of people reportedly have trouble with the meteors that come from the sky but I've pretty much never gotten hit by them. May be dumb luck (Including the Chalice Rom I beat it twice solo, and multiple times co-op with other players) but as long as I'm not letting off the run button, they always hit right behind me. I noticed that when I'm RIGHT next to ROM, the meteors also miss/don't hurt me. Rom's been the most benign boss in the game for me. It's the small dive bombing spiders that you really have to mind, which is remedied by never staying in one place for more than a few seconds.

Thanks man. Prey slaughtered

Donos

Boss names arent spoilers.
Not so much in souls games but in others, boss names can spoil some bits of the story (e.g. a former friendly npc). Since the story in souls/bb is "hidden" away that good, boss names don't really tell you anything. (micolash? that's my Hungarian neighbor)

Top Bottom