• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

UrbanRats

How hard is Eileen's quest? I've spoken to her once already, since I want to get her weapon. Is fighting
Henryk
with her difficult?

[the final part of] Her quest was by far the hardest thing i've done so far in the game (still have to finish the game and do the chalice dungeons, but i'm pretty far in the game, i think.
Not for
Henryk tho, you can just poison him while she fights her, and take cheap shots at him while she's a bit far away, so you don't hit her.

Alo0oy

Banned
Does Ludwigs Blade at 50 arcane and elemental gems do more damage than a 50 strength / 30 skill build?

Depends on the gems & the enemy's weakness, a bolt LHB would do better damage to
Rom
than a plain LHB, even with higher base damage. But there are enemies with no weaknesses. At 50 arcane, executioner's gloves do insane damage though, so there is no right answer.

Bloodletting beast]
is causing me to rage quit. He keeps catching me with that donkey punch every time I get his health down to 1/3rd.

Edit: Nevermind just slaughtered him.
trick was staying in close and not in range

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've asked this before, but is there any benefit to me to help out other players? I've had help on a few boss battles and I wanted to return the favor, but I am curious if I get things like extra echoes or is it a "just being nice" type thing.

Also, I've pretty decided that if I can't beat a boss after a few times I will start asking for help. I just do not have the patience to keep dying over and over again. As hard as I've tried there are certain tendencies I cannot overcome. I just cannot help to press the buttons too quick and leave myself no endurance to evade. I also can't seem to properly control the camera which can be devastating on certain fights.

Skii

The
Nightmare Frontier
is possibly the worst area in any souls game. Who thought this would be fun?

How is it remotely a bad area? It is well designed, has short cuts to the boss and the enemies aren't difficult at all aside from the frenzy singing brain near the end...

Giever

So I beat the game once now, and am starting over, planning to try to get the Tonitrus as soon as possible. I don't fully understand the stat-scaling in this game still, so, if I up Arcane, does that increase its bolt damage? Or can I only increase its physical damage via Strength/Skill, and have to use blood gems to increase bolt at all?

myco666

I've asked this before, but is there any benefit to me to help out other players? I've had help on a few boss battles and I wanted to return the favor, but I am curious if I get things like extra echoes or is it a "just being nice" type thing.

Also, I've pretty decided that if I can't beat a boss after a few times I will start asking for help. I just do not have the patience to keep dying over and over again. As hard as I've tried there are certain tendencies I cannot overcome. I just cannot help to press the buttons too quick and leave myself no endurance to evade. I also can't seem to properly control the camera which can be devastating on certain fights.

You get half of the echoes the host gets and one or two insights if you beat the boss with host.

Feels like the Chalice dungeons are as big as the main game. Not nearly same level of quality of the main game and pretty repetitive but damn, big timesink.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Here is fun question for veterans of this game and the Souls game.

What is ONE (or two) thing(s) the developers could change about this game that would remove a lot of the difficulty?

I am NOT saying that the developers should do it, or that anybody would want them to, but I am curious what feature do you feel creates the biggest gap between it being hard and much easier?

Try and answer for all four games, as I am very curious as to the responses.

I-hate-u

Sorry I meant
Nightmare of Mensis

High frenzy armor (ashen I think), frenzy resistance runes, and run like hell past the enemies to the lamps. There are so many shortcuts in the area, you could reach the boss areas in no time.

Also, make sure you are using a +9 weapon.

Yea the wolves in UC are definitely the way to get the chunks. It still takes awhile even with two eye runes, but I was able to average one for every 3 runs. Just stock up on hunters embelms or whatever they are to teleport back and it respawns all 4

myco666

What is ONE (or two) thing(s) the developers could change about this game that would remove a lot of the difficulty?

I am NOT saying that the developers should do it, or that anybody would want them to, but I am curious what feature do you feel creates the biggest gap between it being hard and much easier?

I think the biggest thing that will makes it hard for most people is the lack of hand holding.

- Explaining how scaling and leveling works properly would probably make it easier.
- Being able to cancel attack with dodge (this was implemented in DS2 to some degree).
- Having respawn points closer to fog doors.
- Estus Flask system is more newbie friendly IMO.
- Coop progress shared so that beating area would count for both.

I really don't want none of these changes though since bunch of these things are reasons I like these games so much.

edit. I would assume ability to respec would also make it easier since you could change your build to make some bosses easier.

There are probably tons of different ways to ruin/destroy the game. Quicksaving, frequent checkpoints, no enemy respawning when you clear an area and go back to the Nexus/Hunter's dream, etc.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There are probably tons of different ways to ruin/destroy the game. Quicksaving, frequent checkpoints, no enemy respawning when you clear an area and go back to the Nexus/Hunter's dream, etc.
Lack of respawning would remove the ability to farm.

I think that not losing the blood echoes if you die would be a big change. Knowing that you have nothing to lose instantly removes all the tension of going into a new area.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think the biggest thing that will makes it hard for most people is the lack of hand holding.

- Explaining how scaling and leveling works properly would probably make it easier.
- Being able to cancel attack with dodge (this was implemented in DS2 to some degree).
- Having respawn points closer to fog doors.
- Estus Flask system is more newbie friendly IMO.
- Coop progress shared so that beating area would count for both.

I really don't want none of these changes though since bunch of these things are reasons I like these games so much.
The respawns closer to fog doors would not be a big change since almost every boss encounter can be ran to without engaging enemies after you open up shortcuts.

At least that is what I have observed thus far.

benjammin

Being able to cancel animations would make the game much easier if not breaking it completely

Randam

hm, that weapon has an A in strenght and an E in skill.
when I raise strenght my damage goes up 10 points.
do I put a point in skill the damage only goes up 1 point.

wonder how these weird scaling systems works..

Putty

And
Moonface
down 8). And thats a wrap from me. Finished with 54% of the trophys. I'm not a trophy whore so i'n not gonna tackle NG+.....well i might to see how hard it is 8) Fab game, fab experience, can't wait for a sequel!

WX3

With all four titles, it is the vagueness that boosts the difficulty. With any hand holding, these games would fall apart and totally be different experiences. I feel like that great sense of reward after completing a particularly difficult area would diminish, and I love that feel!

patchday

I went bloodtinge route and I felt I got punished especially as I watched my bro easily man-handle every single boss in the game with his Strength build. My advice would be to make it easier on blooodtinge builds early in life by giving them high damage weapons they can two hand much sooner than
Matyr (whatever his name was
).

swoon

Finished the game today Really finding it hard to not go out and grab Dark Soul 2...though I'm trying to wait for Witcher 3

myco666

The respawns closer to fog doors would not be a big change since almost every boss encounter can be ran to without engaging enemies after you open up shortcuts.

At least that is what I have observed thus far.

Well there are still people who don't like that and/or can't do it and die while running to boss. IMO it is easy especially in this game but not for everyone.

hm, that weapon has an A in strenght and an E in skill.
when I raise strenght my damage goes up 10 points.
do I put a point in skill the damage only goes up 1 point.

wonder how these weird scaling systems works..

Yet people still don't understand how this works and level up Strength even if using Threaded Cane. Thing is game doesn't really explain that upgrading weapons is more important than leveling up your character. Bunch of people think that leveling up Strength means your attack power goes up even though that isn't the case.

edit. Just because you understand something immediately doesn't mean other people will and not everyone will experiment like that. Also getting A scaling weapon is really late game thing and people are using weapons that have max D scaling in everything for a long time.

taybul

2 words: manual saving.

Part of the experience in these games is the inevitability of death and the terror of venturing into a new area. If you were able to save and reload at will imagine what that does to the game. You reload your save whenever you die and thus never have to worry about potentially losing your souls/echoes (this also means you rack up all your souls and can level up way more than you would normally). You reload right outside the boss room and just repeat over and over without having to traverse through the area. You save before a curious looking platform down below just in case you miss. Etc.

UV-6

Guys, I need the Blade of Mercy, Chikage and Evelyn to get the Hunter's Essence trophy. Can I pick these up in the chalice dungeons?

Auctopus

- Don't lose souls upon death. You respawn at bonfire/nexus and level up.
- No stamina bar. Stunlock/dodge constantly.

cslesce

How many chalice dungeon rooms are to do? Thanks.

I made 1st one till the end, took everything from floors, etc......just enemies respawn, right?

Ferr986

Maybe it's just me but it seems like the 80 pvp/coop range has slowed a little bit the latter days? Taking me more time to find players.

Debating on taking a step to 100? Although it may be worse...

Ikon

Platinum get!

What an incredible sensation! This has been one of my favorite gaming experiences ever and it's going to feel empty to not have this kind of a challenging goal for a while.

Xeteh

That's the problem, I'm at the beginning NG+. Thanks for the reply.

Well you could kill
Eileen
and make a rush straight for
Cainhurst
for the other two. It wouldn't take long at all. I recently did something similar, I wanted to get to the
Lecture Building
bottom floor on NG+ so I'd have an easy place to farm souls instead of doing it slowly in NG. If you know where you're going it shouldn't take more than 1.5-2 hours.

Top Bottom