• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Welp, finally hit my wall of frustration....
Watch Dog of the old Lord

Sucks. Really fucking sucks that this happened. I was petty determined to get that platinum, but it's not worth my sanity. Fuck it.

Got that motherfucker to 1/3 health too. Hell, maybe even slightly more than that.

I went through 20 knives, 20 poison knives, 10 molotovs, 10 bone shots, and a few quicksilver shots. A few good slashes at his face or feet (when he's puking lava) and I would have downed him, no question, he was mine. What happens the moment I try to take a quicksilver shot at him before I finish him off though? He leaps forward into the air (a move I had never seen after fighting him 20+ times already btw) and instant kills me..... amazing....

I want no part of it. I do't even want to co-op that shit at this point. I am absolutely through with it.

The thing that pisses me off the most about all of this is the half health thing.. what absolute garbage. This is the lazy artificial difficulty boost shit that really annoys me in games. I would have thought From was better than this. They are not. Take your chalice and shove it.

/salt

I really got to post a video on him.
All you have to do is stay in front of him and bait his head swipe - Dash in and hit his head (Just once don't get greedy) dash out and repeat. You have to watch for his running charge but that's it. He is actually quite easy if your not trying to flank him which he will punish you for.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Sorry to be "that guy," but this suggests to me that you're trying everything except fighting him straight up. Try learning his attack patterns and how to dodge around them and exploit them. Even if you're going to just wait around for the lava-puke attack to bash on him, at least that will help you survive in the meantime.

I do think this is the hardest boss in the game, though.
The reason I decided to use the items is because the fight was taking too long and I wanted a "shortcut". The strategy was to basically get him to half health, use the items, finish him off. It worked PERFECTLY until he used the leap attack and instant killed me (never seen this move until he used it this one time too. Ain't that a bitch.). I still had 10 vials and 9 quicksilver shots left too. I fucking had him. ugh

The fight is just way too tedious and time consuming. A lot of my frustration was because of the length of the fight really. Bobbing and weaving and getting in 1 to 2 slashes takes fucking forever. And one wrong move and it's all over. Just like that. I just don't have the patience for this nonsense...

All you have to do is stay in front of him and bait his head swipe - Dash in and hit his head (Just once don't get greedy) dash out and repeat. You have to watch for his running charge but that's it. He is actually quite easy if your not trying to flank him which he will punish you for.
I bet him on my first try using a similar strategy.

Toxi

Banned
Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen
is a pretty sweet fight. She's just loaded with different tricks and attacks. The best part was how my Beast Claws broke when she was at low health, forcing me to switch to my ungemmed Kirkhammer so I could finish her off.
Funny video I found..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOslcLWxSLs

lol the song was perfect.

The guy does great bloodborne videos too. my 2nd fav after ENB.
I can't stop laughing.

Toxi

Banned
Listen to BruceLeeRoy; this is the right strategy. It might seem slow at first, but once you break the head, it will start taking a lot more damage.

Gigarator

Listen to BruceLeeRoy; this is the right strategy. It might seem slow at first, but once you break the head, it will start taking a lot more damage.

Indeed, in my case with 2H LHB R1 swings the damage was around 350 pre-face break and once it got smashed in he was taking more than 1000 per hit.

Got him done first try, there really is no reason to ever go near his rear or sides, just stay close enough to his face to bait the bites and dodge accordingly.

OK, I am ready to start Chalice Dungeons now. I have done everything apart from
Moon Presense. I died during the fight and went and grabbed the Burial Blade. It's a bit cheeky but I thought it would help :)

So, what's the deal with the Makeshift Altar (very first one)? I've not done any of these yet, so just I just start at First, then select Chalice Ritual?

Toxi

Banned
OK, I am ready to start Chalice Dungeons now. I have done everything apart from
Moon Presense. I died during the fight and went and grabbed the Burial Blade. It's a bit cheeky but I thought it would help :)

So, what's the deal with the Makeshift Altar (very first one)? I've not done any of these yet, so just I just start at First, then select Chalice Ritual?
Yes. Makeshift Altar is for online, so don't worry too much about that.

Keep in mind you'll be really overleveled for the first two chalices. Once you reach the Lower Pthumeru, it'll be a lot less boring.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This is the strategy I was using. It's painfully obvious after you've fought this thing 10+ times that this is really the only strategy you can even use! It's just too time consuming for me. I don't have this level of patience for a boss that can one shot you if you make a single mistake after fighting him for that long. The fact that I fought him 20+ times is fucking amazing. Any lesser game would never get that amount of dedication out of me. I really wanted that Platinum. heh

Maybe I'll revisit this some day, but not any time soon. The dog won.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Cainhurst boss at 20 Vit, 20 End and 40 Bloodtinge. Nothing else. It's a nightmare right now, but I'm near my prized Chikage. Any tips? Feels impossible for my character.

This is the strategy I was using. It's painfully obvious after you've fought this thing 10+ times that this is really the only strategy you can even use! It's just too time consuming for me. I don't have this level of patience for a boss that can one shot you if you make a single mistake after fighting him for that long. The fact that I fought him 20+ times is fucking amazing. Any lesser game would never get that amount of dedication out of me. I really wanted that Platinum. heh

Maybe I'll revisit this some day, but not any time soon. The dog won.

What's your VIT at? I believe mine was around 43-46 and I was using the 1st and 2nd tier HP runes. I'm not 100% sure of it, but I don't recall his charge attack ever one-shotting me.

A +10 Burial Blade with decent enough gems had him down on my third attempt. I'm probably not the best person to offer advice here, as I did find him on the easier side of the boss spectrum (funny how "Souls" games do this), but I'd say having a weapon with decent range really helps here. The Burial Blade's reach is just magnificent; have a gander!

Yes. Makeshift Altar is for online, so don't worry too much about that.

Keep in mind you'll be really overleveled for the first two chalices. Once you reach the Lower Pthumeru, it'll be a lot less boring.

OK thanks. The first is the only one I've seen a video of, Brad was playing it on Giantbomb during the Quick Look.

Do you have to pay with consumables each time you re-enter?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
What's your VIT at? I believe mine was around 43-46 and I was using the 1st and 2nd tier HP runes. I'm not 100% sure of it, but I don't recall his charge attack ever one-shotting me.

A +10 Burial Blade with decent enough gems had him down on my third attempt. I'm probably not the best person to offer advice here, as I did find him on the easier side of the boss spectrum (funny how "Souls" games do this), but I'd say having a weapon with decent range really helps here. The Burial Blade's reach is just magnificent; have a gander!
I'm using the Chikage, which doesn't have that much reach. Just enough though. My character is literally built around this weapon btw. Hard to part with it. My Vit is 40. Every big rush attack he has is always a one hit kill. Automatic.

I was already planning on getting the burial blade +10 anyways, so I'll use that whenever I decide to take another crack at him (probably not for a while) to see what happens.

Gigarator

Figured I'd do some more short root chalice co-op, ended up going up against
Yharnam
and to my surprise after the fight it popped the trophy for the kill.

So that's the platinum done a little sooner than expected, I was planning to get to work on that chalice tomorrow, no real need now.

Of the 4 "souls" games I'd say this was the easiest one to platinum, mainly due to the lack of trophies for all sorts of spells and weapons in comparison to the other games.

NeoGiff

Sucks. Really fucking sucks that this happened. I was petty determined to get that platinum, but it's not worth my sanity. Fuck it.

Got that motherfucker to 1/3 health too. Hell, maybe even slightly more than that.

I went through 20 knives, 20 poison knives, 10 molotovs, 10 bone shots, and a few quicksilver shots. A few good slashes at his face or feet (when he's puking lava) and I would have downed him, no question, he was mine. What happens the moment I try to take a quicksilver shot at him before I finish him off though? He leaps forward into the air (a move I had never seen after fighting him 20+ times already btw) and instant kills me..... amazing....

I want no part of it. I do't even want to co-op that shit at this point. I am absolutely through with it.

The thing that pisses me off the most about all of this is the half health thing.. what absolute garbage. This is the lazy artificial difficulty boost shit that really annoys me in games. I would have thought From was better than this. They are not. Take your chalice and shove it.

/salt

Here's how I beat him. Just try to stay right up in his face and he shouldn't pose much of a problem. Try not to eat shit like I did at the very start, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNZg1hFtc50

Edit: At the 4 minute mark you can see both the tell and dodge timing for that one-hit-kill jump attack, to save you the frustration in future.

/salt

He isn't that bad

Here's my video of fighting him

http://youtu.be/wQcbUs-Eer8

Alo0oy

Banned
It doesn't matter how many times I keep killing the same enemies, the visceral combat is just soo good.

I'm struggling to play any other game just now. Please From, release DLC. The only time I've ever begged for it.

This is what's happening to me, I popped another game last week, got bored within 5 minutes & went back to Bloodborne, & it was a game I loved (Wolfenstein).

I think I'm ruined, I just can't play another game, I think I spent over 700 hours on Bloodborne already.

Zocano

Here's how I beat him. Just try to stay right up in his face and he shouldn't pose much of a problem. Try not to eat shit like I did at the very start, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNZg1hFtc50

Bahahaha. Jeez, you must have been seriously overleveled for this fight to have that much health and damage. That's a shit ton of health to have in the defiled chalice.

So,uh,what's the point of Paarl's shortcut?

Besides just compactness of the area? There's a certain someone you can talk to.

Micolash
is driving me insane.

Keep goofing up right at the end. Have to put the game down for a bit. Ugh.

It's a frustrating fight. He seemed to spam his magic move less often / not at all, when I kept really close to him. He si pretty easy to dodge so hopefully you can just keep the heat without risking that stupid move.

Cess007

Finally reached the second lamp in
Nightmare of Mensis.
I reached that place like a week ago, but i decided i wasn't ready and went to finish all optional locations and bosses. Still got killed once before reaching the second lamp lol

This is what's happening to me, I popped another game last week, got bored within 5 minutes & went back to Bloodborne, & it was a game I loved (Wolfenstein).

I think I'm ruined, I just can't play another game, I think I spent over 700 hours on Bloodborne already.
I know the feels. I was finishing up Dragon age Inquisition, a game I heavily enjoyed, but Bloodborne was always present in my mind. First game of this generation to have that impression in me. Easily one of my all time favorite games.

I'm there day zero for any and all dlc. This game deserves it.

NeoGiff

Bahahaha. Jeez, you must have been seriously overleveled for this fight to have that much health and damage. That's a shit ton of health to have in the defiled chalice.

I knew what was coming up, so I levelled up and made sure to take precautions!

Also, I don't see why I was "overlevelled" when I was finished everything else and just heading for the platinum.

OK thanks. The first is the only one I've seen a video of, Brad was playing it on Giantbomb during the Quick Look.

Do you have to pay with consumables each time you re-enter?

You only use materials when you create the dungeon. Once a dungeon is created, you can enter/exit it as many times as you wish and you don't need materials for that. If you create a dungeon, then remove the chalice from the altar (delete the dungeon), you'll have to use materials to create it again.

Zocano

I knew what was coming up, so I levelled up and made sure to take precautions!

Also, I don't see why I was "overlevelled" when I was finished everything else and just heading for the platinum.

Overleveled is just relative, yah. Restricting myself from leveling up too much adds a lot of fun for me (stayed SL 100 for all of the chalice dungeons).

The AoE impact damage and your distance from him can alter the timing significantly. Makes it really frustrating to get down just right.

Then you're dashing too early. I had that problem too. Just back up when you see him cast it, it seemed rather foolproof for me after I got it down.

PerZona

I'm at lvl 60+ and just defeated Martyr, what lvl should I start venturing into the Chalice Dungeons? Really dig that Bone Ash armor set.

Toxi

Banned
I'm at lvl 60+ and just defeated Martyr, what lvl should I start venturing into the Chalice Dungeons? Really dig that Bone Ash armor set.
You're very overleveled for the first few Chalice Dungeons, so you might as well start now.

Definity

Finally beat watchdog in the defiled dungeon. What a pain in the arse. Moving on!
Can't believe I've logged 100+ hours into this game. Thought I would've been tired of it by now but still going strong.

TraBuch

Banned
Just went back and started playing Dark Souls (Still two trophies away from a platinum) and it feels so slow...Ugh, this is really bumming me out. Attacks just don't feel as good anymore.

I'm also constantly switching between 1H and 2H.

Top Bottom